The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1852 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25602Likes

post #55531 of 55619 Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I'm using Atrium 5 by Polk

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Look's like my wife's nightmare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55532 of 55619 Old 09-09-2019, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I would imagine time and money are a factor... plus there is always subtitles. I like listening to the original actors' voices and not some dub. I want the original performance. If I'm watching Star Wars I want James Earl Jones' booming voice as Darth Vader... if I'm watching Wings of Desire (German language film) I want to hear Bruno Ganz speaking German, not someone else's voice speaking English.
Yes, many people likes more the original voices than the dubbed ones.

But, here in Spain, and many people of my generation, have had bad learning of other languages in the childhood, and have grown listening all films and TV in the dubbed spanish versions. Althogh I learned English very late, needed for my professional performance, I am very lazy (and so many people like me) on trying to understand film dialogs. Also we have not had the training enough, at childhood, to be used to see original versions with subtitles, that is a little distracting for us. (you make an effort to read the subtitles and loose the beauty of the image...)

Because of this, in Spain, a very good dubbing voice actors have developped over time and the spanish (castellano) dubbed versions are really good. We all know the voices of main famous American or british actors like their counterparts spanish dubbing actors. Usually for main characters the same spanish actor dubbed always to the same original actor, in many different films. Just as an example, James Bond Roger Moore, Clint Eastwood and Captain Kirk WIlliam Shatner are all of them the same voice. And a really very good voice.

Just a glimpse of what is happening in Spain with my generation, perhaps changing very little for new generations that have more english training knowledge than us.
bmcleod and mtbdudex like this.

Denon AVC X8500H (Atmos 7.1.6, DTS:X, Auro-3D 13.1)
Optoma UHZ65 / Lumene Majestic Premium 270C
Dune HD Solo 4K / Dune HD PRO 4K
Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 / Ambiente Center / Master M5 / Access AC
B&W CCM 683
post #55533 of 55619 Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 7173 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown2020 View Post
I have 4 atmos ceiling speakers front & rear at 45 degrees from MLP. For Dolby Atmos content I change amp assign to "front top & rear top" and then when playing DTS:X content I would change amp assign to "front heights & rear heights." Is this correct?
That's correct: the Tops locations for Atmos are the Heights locations for DTS:X.
MBrown2020 likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55534 of 55619 Old 09-09-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I can confirm what FilmMixer wrote - not that FilmMixer needs a confirmation, to be clear. I can confirm it, because I was watching a youtube video about Arri Media Studios in Munich, which is only in German - sorry.
They also do Atmos mixes and it was said in this video that it is about money. I would say that everything which cost additional money makes the revenue smaller and the guy from Arri Media said that an Atmos mix takes several days. The funny thing is that in movie theaters, German dubbed versions are shown, which have an Atmos track. But it is not the same as the version for home use - more objects, you know what I want to say. But you don't find them on Blu-Ray or UHD.

If you are interested, this video has three parts and this is the link to part one:

Because they are not easy to find:

Part 2:
- most interesting for 3D Sound

Part 3:
AYanguas likes this.

Last edited by Ganymed4; 09-09-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #55535 of 55619 Old 09-09-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 4704 Post(s)
Liked: 6987
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYanguas View Post
Yes, many people likes more the original voices than the dubbed ones.

But, here in Spain, and many people of my generation, have had bad learning of other languages in the childhood, and have grown listening all films and TV in the dubbed spanish versions. Althogh I learned English very late, needed for my professional performance, I am very lazy (and so many people like me) on trying to understand film dialogs. Also we have not had the training enough, at childhood, to be used to see original versions with subtitles, that is a little distracting for us. (you make an effort to read the subtitles and loose the beauty of the image...)
I understand your position. For me, the best thing I ever did, was to overcome any dislike of subtitles. I did this as an adult. It has opened a much bigger wide world of fantastic cinema for me. I know always prefer the original soundtrack with subtitles, even if there is an English dubbed version that's in 5.1 or even Atmos! I get the real actors' and actresses' voices, and all the lip-movements are in sync - them not being sync distracts me more than reading the subtitles. After a bit of "training" it becomes easy, and it's done without any thinking at all just like driving a car.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #55536 of 55619 Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I'm using Atrium 5 by Polk

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Loosen up that top cornice with a catspaw, and you have a ready made raceway to hide your wires.
camd5pt0 likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #55537 of 55619 Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 3060
I posted this in the local LA area thread. But if anyone is in So Cal or within driving distance it’s an interesting event.

Every year Mix Magazine hosts an event on the lot at Sony.

It’s not cheap but if you are interested in sound for film it’s a cool event. There are panels on the mixing stages, demos, manufacturers, etc.

As a side note I think I’ll be doing a panel on a recent project with some clops along with a q and a session.

These sessions have not been publicly announced yet but there will be four of them.... I know what two of the other ones are and should be really cool. And the other panels that have been announced “sound” really cool, pun intended.

https://www.mixsoundforfilm.com
post #55538 of 55619 Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Regarding Carnival Row.

We are hoping for next Weds/Thursday.

Fingers crossed.
Have you heard anything further from your contact at Amazon? Last night I tried checking episode 1 via my AppleTV 4k and I kept getting an error every time I tried to play the UHD stream. I then switched over to my Xbox One S and the UHD stream played fine. The Xbox still has the annoying problem of wrapping every soundtrack in an Atmos container so it was reporting Atmos to my AVR as usual. The soundtrack sounded very full so I stuck my ear up to my ceiling speakers and there was plenty of content being played by them so I am pretty sure I got the Atmos track via the Xbox. I know it wasn't DSU since I cannot apply the upmixer to an Atmos track. It sounded really good! If there is any particular scene you recommend checking out please let us know to confirm we are getting the real thing.
post #55539 of 55619 Old 09-11-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Have you heard anything further from your contact at Amazon? Last night I tried checking episode 1 via my AppleTV 4k and I kept getting an error every time I tried to play the UHD stream. I then switched over to my Xbox One S and the UHD stream played fine. The Xbox still has the annoying problem of wrapping every soundtrack in an Atmos container so it was reporting Atmos to my AVR as usual. The soundtrack sounded very full so I stuck my ear up to my ceiling speakers and there was plenty of content being played by them so I am pretty sure I got the Atmos track via the Xbox. I know it wasn't DSU since I cannot apply the upmixer to an Atmos track. It sounded really good! If there is any particular scene you recommend checking out please let us know to confirm we are getting the real thing.

Yes I have heard from them. Still no final eta. Maybe tomorrow. But not confirmed.

Thanks for the comment
post #55540 of 55619 Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 4780 Post(s)
Liked: 5030
In today’s “adventures in soloing pairs of speakers to see what happens when you exceed 7.1.4 channels”, covering our favorite topic, Disney / Marvel!

I got my Avengers Endgame 4K disc a few days ago, and decided to spend a bit too much time sitting in silence waiting for objects to pass through specific speakers.

I had heard that Endgame is basically a 7.1.2 mix. So I tested my X8500H with both 7.1.6 and 9.1.4 layouts; in the former, soloing the front, middle and rear heights, and in the latter soloing the wides.

I used the beginning stretches of the climactic final battle, starting with the iron gauntlet scene.

While I confirmed that Endgame is, for the most part, 7.1.2, I can report that it is NOT a “fixed printout” and would (rarely) activate all speakers in a 9.1.6 layout.

In 7.1.6, the Top Middle speakers carry essentially all of the ambient effects — musical score, reverberant reflections, explosions wrapping overhead. Zero of this sound makes it to the front/rear heights (or to the wides in 9.1.4).

However, these extra three pairs of speakers are NOT totally silent 100% of the time. Only 98% of the time. There are specific discrete, directional effects, which very much zing though these extra speakers. The sound of the blast shields closing/opening, the missile launch from above, creaking and rumbling sounds from the collapsing building when they are trapped underground, some lightning zaps when Thor charges up, a few zooming sounds here and there when the big armies clash.

I would posit therefore that this one is not a “fixed print out”, but rather that it’s just 98% the 7.1.2 cinematic bed. In other words, a 9ch mix with occasional use of objects only for specific directional effects in action scenes.

As we know, the overhead stereo bed doesn’t array at home across all heights but instead just comes out of the TM. But in those moments when they do choose to use objects for discrete panning effects it will still activate the extra speakers.

Now of course, this doesn’t make someone with a >11ch setup happy because those extra speakers are still silent 98-99% of the time. But it seems on this disc it’s mostly an unfortunate byproduct of (1) barely using dynamic objects and (2) the way home Atmos doesn’t array the overhead bed.

EDIT: Rechecked a few other MCU 4K discs to compare...

Civil War: retested at 7.1.6 and the overheads are the same as Endgame, 98% of overhead sound is in Top Middle but occasional objects zip through FH/RH. With 9.1.4 the Wides are used *heavily* (more than the overheads!) on this one as I reported previously. So I bet this would sound great on a 9.1.6 layout.

Thor Ragnarok: a true “fixed 7.1.4”... with a 9.1.4 layout the wides have zero sound, with 7.1.6 the TM have zero sound. Although the heights that do make noise get plenty of effects, music, ambiance / reverb.

Guardians 2: basically 7.1.6, absolutely zero sound in the wides and surprisingly rare use overhead effects. Heights are never used for musical score or ambiance from what I can hear, just a some rare directional / discrete effects. Plus, it sounds to me like all 6 overheads are making the same noises, almost like it’s a 7.1.2 mix but somehow the .2 does array across all 6 overheads 😕

Bottom line is there’s a lot of variation in how these Disney “Atmouse” mixes are being done. It’s not as simple as “they are all just fixed 7.1.4”.
Chuck666, Josh Z, DigiWega and 7 others like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!

Last edited by batpig; 09-12-2019 at 12:35 AM.
post #55541 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Bottom line is there’s a lot of variation in how these Disney “Atmouse” mixes are being done. It’s not as simple as “they are all just fixed 7.1.4”.
Great info and thanks for the effort!
Chuck666 likes this.
post #55542 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 402

I'm looking at used Yamaha AVRs and I can pick up an RX-A2000 for $300. I looked at the specs and it dawned on me that it doesn't support Dolby Atmos... That started with the xx40 series. SInce I have all PSBs, I looked at the asking price for their Imagine XA Dolby Atmos speakers. These modules would sit on top of my towers. Asking price is $700 which I find absurdly expensive. They got solid reviews but $700? .

For those of you who went with Atmos.. did you find it a game changer over 7.1? Anyone use the speaker modules over ceiling speakers? I ask because my ceiling in the basement is finished and it would be rather difficult to fish wires through the walls into the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2614346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2614348  

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
post #55543 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Quote:
In today’s “adventures in soloing pairs of speakers to see what happens when you exceed 7.1.4 channels”,

As we know, the overhead stereo bed doesn’t array at home across all heights but instead just comes out of the TM.
Do you have a Denon X8500 and switch between 9.1.4 and 7.1.6 configurations, or do you derive Top Middles between the Top Front and Top Rear using multiple receivers and the Scatmos method?

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #55544 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

I'm looking at used Yamaha AVRs and I can pick up an RX-A2000 for $300. I looked at the specs and it dawned on me that it doesn't support Dolby Atmos... That started with the xx40 series. SInce I have all PSBs, I looked at the asking price for their Imagine XA Dolby Atmos speakers. These modules would sit on top of my towers. Asking price is $700 which I find absurdly expensive. They got solid reviews but $700? .

For those of you who went with Atmos.. did you find it a game changer over 7.1? Anyone use the speaker modules over ceiling speakers? I ask because my ceiling in the basement is finished and it would be rather difficult to fish wires through the walls into the ceiling.
Unless you can move your sofa away from the back wall, I wouldn't recommend it. That being said, the speakers in question have 4" woofers and are spec'd at 100 Hz-23,000 Hz, so there are much cheaper options that are comparable. I'd say Sony's version is close, and they can be had for under $100/pair, if you watch them on amazon for awhile. Of course, there are other brands out there, from Onkyo to ELAC that may get you there as well.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 09-12-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #55545 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
In 7.1.6, the Top Middle speakers carry essentially all of the ambient effects — musical score, reverberant reflections, explosions wrapping overhead. Zero of this sound makes it to the front/rear heights (or to the wides in 9.1.4).
Sounds like the type of content that was meant to be arrayed (rather than localized). Maybe it was mixed on a set-up where those channels did array and the mixer didn't know how it would be reproduced at home.
Quote:
Guardians 2: basically 7.1.6, absolutely zero sound in the wides and surprisingly rare use overhead effects. Heights are never used for musical score or ambiance from what I can hear, just a some rare directional / discrete effects. Plus, it sounds to me like all 6 overheads are making the same noises, almost like it’s a 7.1.2 mix but somehow the .2 does array across all 6 overheads 😕
The Star Wars movie Solo does something similar: 2 overhead channels copied to all overhead speakers. Except, there's only music up there (no sound effects).
Quote:
Yeah, it's like they spin a big wheel to choose random/different methods to under-utilize the Atmos format.

Sanjay
post #55546 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:

With your room setup I wouldn't bother with Atmos. Not only, as @Augerhandle suggested, move your couch in from the wall, you would also need to lower all your surrounds to ear level. Now me personally I found 5.1.2 to be superior to 7.1 in sound envelopment. I have since gone to 5.3.4. I first used indoor/outdoor speakers and their included brackets to hang from my basement ceiling. I have since upgraded to speakers that "match" (same series) my base level speakers. Here is a link to that update with pictures of my small basement space.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58505822

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #55547 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
For those of you who went with Atmos.. did you find it a game changer over 7.1?
Yes, Atmos is changing the way we experience audio at home, in better, not in worse. It asks a little bit of effort (ok, maybe more effort...) but it does satisfy you when you play reference material - because not every Atmos mix is doing justice to the format or your setup.

Even if you have the couch against the wall you can do a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 setup just fine - yes, you have no real sound from the rear, but you will see that in practice it does not affect much the way you perceive the soundtracks. I have the same limitation (couch against the wall) and is fine.

Quote:
Anyone use the speaker modules over ceiling speakers? I ask because my ceiling in the basement is finished and it would be rather difficult to fish wires through the walls into the ceiling.
I have a 5.1.2 setup based on reflected speakers and it is ok, it does not have the precision of my other 5.1.4 (.4 on-ceiling) setup but it does have an expanded audio field, the room seems bigger and filled with sounds.
- you need to experiment a bit with the modules angles and height because you must minimize the direct sound and maximize the reflected sound;
- do not expect to just put the modules on top of the bed speakers and press play;
- your room will affect the way the sound is reflected;
- the distances between the modules and the ceiling will matter, as well as the distances between modules and your MLP;
- you may find that the usual 20 degrees angle of the modules is not fit for your room or ceiling height or the module-MLP distance;
- it is easier to be dissatisfied by a DAES based setup than a "standard" on-ceiling or in-ceiling setup because there are many factors that can go against a good reflected sound - a DAES based setup can be underwhelming (too many reflections and reverberations, low bed-top perceived separation, diffused sound, unprecise);

Last edited by dfa973; 09-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #55548 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I have 4 atmos ceiling speakers front & rear at 45 degrees from MLP. For Dolby Atmos content I change amp assign to "front top & rear top" and then when playing DTS:X content I would change amp assign to "front heights & rear heights." Is this correct? Since the speakers do not move, just the designation in the preamp.

I have Marantz 8802a and am using dual DRC-88a's, so Audyssey calibration not in play. Thanks
I have mine set front height and rear heights since they are angled speakers.
I have read, the DTS Neural upmixer will put different sound up depending on it being height speakers or top speakers. (result being when set as top speaker, it plays effects only and less music)

while that does not say anything about how the AVR processes ATMOS, (and this may not be DTS:X specific or ATMOS specific), the "top" speaker settings is probably best reserved only if you have in ceiling speakers.

I set as height speakers and do get ATMOS and do sound fine.

Denon does say you can use height speakers for ATMOS playback
https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...configurations

On mine, physically they are installed in a side height left and side height right position (like in that article) I do NOT get ATMOS rear to sound when I do set them up as such. But DTS:X does, I have to set in the receiver as rear height L R to get ATMOs rear.

In theory I could switch the speaker assignment to SHL and SHR when I play DTS:X to get most accurate results, but it seems to sound fine set up as RHL and RHR, most of the disc content are ATMOS so I don't want to risk forgetting to switch back and forth.
post #55549 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
I have read, the DTS Neural upmixer will put different sound up depending on it being height speakers or top speakers. (result being when set as top speaker, it plays effects only and less music)
The Neural:X upmixer can separate direct sound from diffuse sound but it cannot separate sound effects from music.
Quote:
In theory I could switch the speaker assignment to SHL and SHR when I play DTS:X to get most accurate results, but it seems to sound fine set up as RHL and RHR, most of the disc content are ATMOS so I don't want to risk forgetting to switch back and forth.
Atmos and DTS:X have 4 overhead speaker locations in common:

DTS:X calls those locations "Heights" while Atmos calls those same locations "Tops". So @MBrown2020 is correct to switch between those two labels to get the most accurate results. But this is one of those 'desired, not required' things. If switching between those two settings is inconvenient, then leaving them as Heights will be fine.

Sanjay
post #55550 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
In 7.1.6, the Top Middle speakers carry essentially all of the ambient effects — musical score, reverberant reflections, explosions wrapping overhead. Zero of this sound makes it to the front/rear heights
Is there any advantage to having the .6 configured as TF, TM, and TR instead of FH, TM, RH as you seem to have? It's my understanding that FH/RH is best when playing DTS:X material, but if having a FH/TM/RH configuration would be kind of a "one size fits all" for both Atmos and DTS:X material, I may consider that for my upcoming 7.2.6 setup. This would prevent me from switching between separate FH/RH and TF, TM, and TR profiles.
post #55551 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
Is there any advantage to having the .6 configured as TF, TM, and TR instead of FH, TM, RH as you seem to have? It's my understanding that FH/RH is best when playing DTS:X material, but if having a FH/TM/RH configuration would be kind of a "one size fits all" for both Atmos and DTS:X material, I may consider that for my upcoming 7.2.6 setup. This would prevent me from switching between separate FH/RH and TF, TM, and TR profiles.
Good question! I actually had this thought myself, and I repeated some of my Endgame tests with a TF+TM+TR layout rather than FH+TM+RH.

The results appeared to be identical. All of the musical score + ambient effects remained locked to the TM speakers, and the TF/TR speakers just got occasional sounds from discrete effects zinging through those spots.

I would speculate that Atmos is less "sensitive" to this label change than is DTS:X, because the overhead effects are true objects and not fixed channel outputs. When DTS:X overheads are labeled "top" instead of "height", it engages its remapping algorithm to try and virtually relocate the overhead sound effects, using ear-level speakers to try and pull the sound downward and outward. So for example, if there's a sound in the RHL speaker, but you have it assigned as TRL, that sound will be spread between the TRL, SL, and SBL speakers so the phantom image is pulled outward.

Atmos, while it does try to position sounds based on speaker locations, doesn't have the sounds fixed to a specific channel. So for example, if a missile zooms overhead, and you have 6 height speakers, it will pass through the front pair, then the middle pair, then the rear pair as the sound travels overhead. Whether the front/rear pair is labeled "height" or "top", that sound is panning through the three pairs of speakers in sequence. So I think it will preserve the directionality of overhead pans either way.

Now, from a practical perspective.... having that extra pair of middle overheads means that overhead sounds should be anchored directly overhead, so you have more flexibility to spread the front/rear overheads farther forward/rearward to create more separation and have more seamless transitions (e.g. if a sound travels up off the screen into the overheads). With only 4 overheads, if you spread them out farther then you create a "gap" in the sound directly overhead. With 6 that's not an issue, so I would lean towards pushing them further apart and labeling them as "FH/RH", which has the side benefit of providing better cross-format support for DTS:X and Auro3D without "penalizing" Atmos so much.
Swoosh830, Nalleh and dfa973 like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #55552 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
That's correct: the Tops locations for Atmos are the Heights locations for DTS:X.
Won't switching them back and forth disable the Audyssey calibration ?
post #55553 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post
Correct, however if you track back to the original question, the OP is not using Audyssey so this isn't a concern for him.

Quote:
I have 4 atmos ceiling speakers front & rear at 45 degrees from MLP. For Dolby Atmos content I change amp assign to "front top & rear top" and then when playing DTS:X content I would change amp assign to "front heights & rear heights." Is this correct? Since the speakers do not move, just the designation in the preamp.

I have Marantz 8802a and am using dual DRC-88a's, so Audyssey calibration not in play. Thanks
bobbyhollywood and MBrown2020 like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #55554 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 4704 Post(s)
Liked: 6987
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post
Yes. We have the ridiculous situation now where you have to re-run Audyssey. This was first discovered on the 2015 models (or before).
The only thing Denon have done is make the backup/restore process quicker! That's a ludicrous work-around, not a solution. They still haven't fixed the underlying problem of labelling locations in the 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019 models.

Maybe in 100 years they will fix it. At the moment they seem to be determined to release the same product every year with a different number on it and all the same problems and bugs.
dfa973 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #55555 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the type of content that was meant to be arrayed (rather than localized). Maybe it was mixed on a set-up where those channels did array and the mixer didn't know how it would be reproduced at home.
100% -- as I was doing these tests I was thinking to myself that some of these "underutilized" or "fixed" sounding Atmos mixes could in part be due to this specific phenomenon. The mixer expects the musical score or the explosion to spread through the stereo overhead beds, but at home it just locks into the single pair of speakers. So if you just did some brief tests it would be easy to assume there's nothing in the other overheads, but when panning object effects are used they do pass through additional speaker. But it would definitely hurt the overhead immersion for multi-row theaters if the vast majority of overhead effects end up collapsing to a single pair of speakers.

Interestingly, I was looking at this old CEDIA presentation from Trinnov on their "universal immersive layout" concepts and they note that in large theaters, they would array a pair of TM speakers overhead to create more even coverage. The "overhead beds don't array" phenomenon would certainly lend credence to this being a viable concept to allow for both even overhead immersion of music/ambient sounds, but still allowing for directional panning when needed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trinnov_Array_TM.png
Views:	74
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	2614450  
sdurani and dfa973 like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #55556 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
The Neural:X upmixer can separate direct sound from diffuse sound but it cannot separate sound effects from music. Atmos and DTS:X have 4 overhead speaker locations in common:

DTS:X calls those locations "Heights" while Atmos calls those same locations "Tops". So @MBrown2020 is correct to switch between those two labels to get the most accurate results. But this is one of those 'desired, not required' things. If switching between those two settings is inconvenient, then leaving them as Heights will be fine.
I would think it is best to select the setting that match closest to your setup.

All I am saying is that processor is supposed to play the object based sound that correspond to where you have your speaker installed. If it is not a ceiling speaker, select the height one (in my opinion), there is a slight difference in position. Denon doesn't say you need to select top speakers setup for ATMOs playback.

post #55557 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
I would think it is best to select the setting that match closest to your setup.
Agreed, but that's the problem: the same ceiling locations have two settings that match closest, Heights for DTS:X = Tops for Atmos. Whichever setting you pick will be right for one format and wrong for the other. Again, if switching settings is not convenient, then no big deal to leave it as Heights.
mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.

Sanjay
post #55558 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Do you have a Denon X8500 and switch between 9.1.4 and 7.1.6 configurations, or do you derive Top Middles between the Top Front and Top Rear using multiple receivers and the Scatmos method?
No ScAtmos for me, this is switching configs on the X8500H. If I was deriving TM from TF+TR then it would be impossible to hear (for example) that Thor Ragnarok is fixed at 7.1.4 and has silent TM outputs in 7.1.6 mode.

I use "Custom" amp assign mode, which lets me toggle the speaker layout setting and also mute all the speaker outputs except the one I care about. A bit cumbersome, but allows me to precisely control the speaker layout and the audible speaker output(s) so I can hear exactly what's happening.
Marc Alexander, Nalleh and dfa973 like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #55559 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Can I be the first person to preemptively complain about your Atmos mix on Carnival Row not being immersive enough?

It is going to have an Atmos mix right?
Quote:
Yes. We will be the second Amazon title.

I don’t think there should be many reasons to complain...

I mean we have a multitude of scenes where it is raining.

At least I think we got that right
Quote:
I’ve reached out to my contact at Amazon about it.

I can’t get Jack Ryan season one to stream Atmos either. Tried on Xbox, Vizio and Apple TV.... maybe some behind the scenes changes.

As soon as I hear an update I’ll let ya know ...

The 5.1 sounds as intended though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Update ...

Heard from my contact at Amazon.

Short answer is they know and they are working on it and have been all week.

They’ll give me an update when the stream goes live...

I’ve only been given a time frame of ASAP...

As a side note the Atmos streams/encodes are entirely separate form the “regular” 5.1/stereo files.... it simply isn’t a stream or tech glitch, but an entirely separate set of “files.”

As a matter of fact the Atmos encodes includes an Atmos Amazon logo ... I think IIRC it is a different color scheme than the...

When you watch a Prime show and see the Prime banner in front that is the service is actually seamlessly “editing” that in real time to the program...

Netflix actually now does the same thing (it used to be that the logo was part of the show and we would mix in the logos as part of the show... but that has changed over the last few years ...)

While no one is more disappointment right now than me I’m hopeful the stream will be live soon...

I’m very proud of the mix on the show....
Quote:
Regarding Carnival Row.

We are hoping for next Weds/Thursday.

Fingers crossed.
Quote:
Yes I have heard from them. Still no final eta. Maybe tomorrow. But not confirmed.

Thanks for the comment
nope, not today either. I thought for sure it was going to be today, my TCL's got an update for Prime and I was praying it was for Carnival Row, but, it's still only DD+ which still sounds damn good with DSU on. I am glad it's gotten green lit for Season 2.

hope they have the sound together by then!

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #55560 of 55619 Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 250
For now, Carnival Row in plain 5.1 UpMixed to 7.1.4 with Neural:X sounds amazing.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page