The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1889 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28516Likes

post #56641 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
But the "old" trilogies are "new" Atmos conversions so why don't they have weak bass on the new mixes? Because they started with someone else's work that liked more bass as the starting point?

It sounds inconsistent either way, almost like they had different people do the old mixes as Atmos (contracted it out to another company or group?) compared to someone else doing new movie mixing. Apparently that group also uses moving objects as well. I like that group better, whomever they are. A New Hope sounded quite good here, IMO.

Edit:

I'm still not sure about the XBox One, but this article (https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...tmos-problems/) clearly points to The Mandalorian only working in Atmos on ROKU devices and confirms AppleTV 4K only does 5.1 for that, but does Atmos on the movies. NVidia Shield (even the new 2019 one) doesn't do anything in Atmos (as usual it seems). I don't know if any Smart TVs get Atmos with Disney+ or which ones even have it (my Samsung QLED has Disney+, but I gave it to my mother to use at her house and she only has a 5.1 receiver so I don't know if the QLED does Atmos or not with its Disney+ app. (I ended up liking my old Plasma better for SD material and can't see 4K resolution improvements at my living room distances anyway so I gave her the Samsung QLED and went back to my Panasonic Plasma for my living room; meanwhile I still haven't found a true 4K projector with 3D support that has horizontal and vertical lens shift I need in my room other than Sharp's "Pseudo 4K" units)

This article shows all the devices supported for Disney+ (https://sonyreconsidered.com/how-to-...4-33722c14fe0d) It implies PS4 and PS4 Pro supports Atmos. I'm going to go try that as it's hard to believe (but then I haven't used my PS4 in ages).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)

Last edited by MagnumX; 11-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #56642 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Exactly my experience, as I've shared more than once about the improvement I got with Mirage Omnipolars for surrounds.

Wide dispersion isn't just viable, it's highly desirable.

The Omnipolars actually aren't quite; there's an offset in the reflectors to bias the sound toward the front to keep them suitable as mains.

For surrounds and most especially for heights, I think it would be even better to go fully omnidirectional.

I just tried bipolar in place of my direct firing surrounds.

The hot-spotting effect went away but so did the immersion.

Without doing a direct back-to-back comparison you would say that the bipoles sound great and the sound still appears to be locatable. But as soon as you go back to direct-firing you realise that it is not anywhere near as accurate and in my room actually felt less immersive.

Note that my surrounds are about 10deg in front of MLP so the seat closest is about 30deg off-axis which I found helps to remove hot-spotting anyway.

So as usual I think every room, speaker and person is different and there is no clear answer
dfa973 likes this.
post #56643 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Interesting.

How were the bipolars oriented?

Was that with just the surrounds?

I wonder if it's because when surrounds are directly to the sides, they're maximally unlocatable because the far ear is in the acoustic shadow of the head, and firing more of the sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post

Without doing a direct back-to-back comparison you would say that the bipoles sound great and the sound still appears to be locatable. But as soon as you go back to direct-firing you realise that it is not anywhere near as accurate and in my room actually felt less immersive.

Note that my surrounds are about 10deg in front of MLP so the seat closest is about 30deg off-axis which I found helps to remove hot-spotting anyway.

So as usual I think every room, speaker and person is different and there is no clear answer

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #56644 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Interesting.

How were the bipolars oriented?

Was that with just the surrounds?

I wonder if it's because when surrounds are directly to the sides, they're maximally unlocatable because the far ear is in the acoustic shadow of the head, and firing more of the sound

Quote:

So as usual I think every room, speaker and person is different and there is no clear answer [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
I put the bipolar at 90deg and same height as the direct firing surrounds. I didn't try them at different azimuth since I imagine you would lose the bipole effect.
I tested them with Kraftwerk Atmos bluray and you clearly lost track of the pinpoint sound darting around the room in track 3.
post #56645 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your surround speakers are "in front of" your MLP? That's slightly unusual. They're normally directly to the side (typical of 7.1) or 10-20 degrees behind the MLP (typical of 5.1), although the room plays a big part in the decision. There are some famous speaker designers that prefer them in front of instead of behind, though.

Quote:
I put the bipolar at 90deg and same height as the direct firing surrounds. I didn't try them at different azimuth since I imagine you would lose the bipole effect.
I tested them with Kraftwerk Atmos bluray and you clearly lost track of the pinpoint sound darting around the room in track 3.
I think part of the problem may be in how they are being used. Dipoles were commonly used with the null area directly to the sides to create more ambience (hard to locate speakers effect). Bipoles used that way with no drivers facing towards the seating do it to a lesser degree and image somewhat more like direct drivers. Used this way, bipoles are kind of a halfway solution between the old Pro Logic recommendations for dipoles and 5.1 imaging that needed more precision and works well in the old 5.1 only surround setups, IMO (My first 5.1 system used this). It's not as dispersed as a dipole, but not as pin-point as a direct firing radiator, which is what I believe you are describing here. It's probably not the best choice for Atmos, however as more precision is needed, particularly with more speakers available with overhead and/or rear surrounds in use).

Bipoles used between rows with partially angled drivers (typically not front/back, but angled 30-40 degrees into the room towards rows in front of or behind the speaker) act like two sets of closely arrayed monopoles (sound similar to direct drivers, but get rid of the bad off-axis response when you only have ONE direct firing speaker which can only face one row of seats. By putting them between rows with two sets of angled drivers, you essentially get perfect on-axis response in both directions. This should sound almost identical to a direct firing speaker used that way. My side heights used as surround height for Auro-3D or DTS:X and "Top Middle" for Atmos are set up like this, placed between rows and directly in the middle of the room between both sets of front/rear height speakers. This sounds similar above as two sets of sides that are arrayed sound below. They image to the side the same as the front/rear heights image from those directions as they are really two arrayed direct radiators aimed like that. The rear wave from either direction acts more like the method below (i.e. a rear wave reverb-like reflection).

The other way to use bipoles (That Definitive Technology pushed along with Mirage and some others) is placing the front of the bipole speaker (drivers forward) in front of the MLP like a regular stereo speaker with the rear drivers facing the front (or rear if used in the back) walls. This requires the drivers be at least 12" from the wall with bipolar (or 3+ feet with dipolar) speakers. Used that way, they create an extra set of reflections that anchor the phantom images in space, creating a more "realistic" sounding phantom image (e.g. with my Carver Dipole Ribbons upstairs, a vocalist sounds like they're really in the room singing as opposed to a stereo "image" of someone singing, if you take my meaning). This is more of an ambient/spatial effect than any type of surround use, however.

In your case, if you orientated the bipoles such that one set of drivers faced directly towards the MLP, you'd get a much sharper imaged effect. But then it also matters whether the bipoles in question are at 180 degrees to each other (front/back like my old Definitive Tech BP2 speakers) or one of these side wall types that have them angled closer to 30/150. The former would work better angled towards you. The latter works better between rows of seats (or as a null directly to the side in old 5.1 systems only). This would be purely to salvage the speakers if you didn't want to buy another direct firing set or whatever.

Frankly, with one row of seating, you're probably better off with direct firing monopoles regardless as there's not much useful to do with the other set of drivers (save perhaps the front/back ambient usage which is hard to do from the side unless you have a very wide room that you can put the side surrounds 12 inches away from the side walls without being too close to the seating). I think the angled bipoles in an Atmos type system are only really appropriate between multiple rows of seating, which really just fix the off-axis response issue of having one speaker between rows facing neither row, although if the speaker has excellent off-axis response that can work instead.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #56646 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:

Fair enough.

I guess the Omnipolars are just the ticket since the angle of strongest output faces forward.
GLBright likes this.

Noah
post #56647 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Since you have Disney+ now to play with, can you check those fancy Trinnov lights on Captain America: Civil War? That's the one Disney/Marvel title I found which actually behaves like Atmos, with tons of activity in the wides and all overheads during any action scene. Haven't tested it streaming yet but curious if that made it to the online version!
The fancy Trinnov lights tell me it’s a solid 9.1.2, with frequent music swells and occasional special effects in the wides and top middles. Very infrequently, you’ll see everything momentarily light up for a few seconds, like front or rear overheads.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #56648 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sdrucker - I just finished watching the rest of Revenge of the Sith. I'm curious (seeing as you have PSB brand speakers as well) if you found some of the dialog in that movie to have excess sibilance? It was bad enough in a few places that I actually turned Audyssey off to see if it helped any (it didn't). It almost reminded me of bit-starved compression a few times (like 8-bit audio on the Commodore Amiga). In that regard, it seemed noticeably worse than A New Hope here. I also heard far less front/rear height activity (far more in the top middle only) for brief moments, although I believe there were several short bits (e.g. When Anakin takes off in that speeder/ship to go to the Emperor at the end, chasing after Mace Windoo, it briefly pans through front to back height and then part of the sound settles off to the left of top middle).

Bass in Revenge of the Sith was still far better than The Mandalorian Episode 2, which when I ran it again to compare, had me trying to turn up the overall volume past 0 and found it wouldn't let me turn it up past +1 for some reason. If I turned Audyssey OFF, I could crank the show much much higher (I stopped at +8 where it was actually getting quite loud; previous tests showed +18 with Audyssey off). I only can assume the correction must need some EQ headroom or something in reserve. In any case, that show seemed very low volume and had far less bass, as well (and still stuck in 5.1). I downloaded Disney+ for my PS4 as well (which I hadn't used in many months) and it only does 5.1 as well. I think ROKU is the only device out there (save possibly some Smart TVs?) that apparently gets Atmos with The Mandalorian. This time after watching ROTS in Atmos, it switched properly to 5.1 without a reboot, though so clearly that bug only rears its head after extended use, not every time it switches between Atmos and 5.1 in the same App.
dfa973 likes this.

post #56649 of 58889 Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Your surround speakers are "in front of" your MLP? That's slightly unusual. They're normally directly to the side (typical of 7.1) or 10-20 degrees behind the MLP (typical of 5.1), although the room plays a big part in the decision. There are some famous speaker designers that prefer them in front of instead of behind, though.

I think part of the problem may be in how they are being used. Dipoles were commonly used with the null area directly to the sides to create more ambience (hard to locate speakers effect). Bipoles used that way with no drivers facing towards the seating do it to a lesser degree and image somewhat more like direct drivers. Used this way, bipoles are kind of a halfway solution between the old Pro Logic recommendations for dipoles and 5.1 imaging that needed more precision and works well in the old 5.1 only surround setups, IMO (My first 5.1 system used this). It's not as dispersed as a dipole, but not as pin-point as a direct firing radiator, which is what I believe you are describing here. It's probably not the best choice for Atmos, however as more precision is needed, particularly with more speakers available with overhead and/or rear surrounds in use).

Bipoles used between rows with partially angled drivers (typically not front/back, but angled 30-40 degrees into the room towards rows in front of or behind the speaker) act like two sets of closely arrayed monopoles (sound similar to direct drivers, but get rid of the bad off-axis response when you only have ONE direct firing speaker which can only face one row of seats. By putting them between rows with two sets of angled drivers, you essentially get perfect on-axis response in both directions. This should sound almost identical to a direct firing speaker used that way. My side heights used as surround height for Auro-3D or DTS:X and "Top Middle" for Atmos are set up like this, placed between rows and directly in the middle of the room between both sets of front/rear height speakers. This sounds similar above as two sets of sides that are arrayed sound below. They image to the side the same as the front/rear heights image from those directions as they are really two arrayed direct radiators aimed like that. The rear wave from either direction acts more like the method below (i.e. a rear wave reverb-like reflection).

The other way to use bipoles (That Definitive Technology pushed along with Mirage and some others) is placing the front of the bipole speaker (drivers forward) in front of the MLP like a regular stereo speaker with the rear drivers facing the front (or rear if used in the back) walls. This requires the drivers be at least 12" from the wall with bipolar (or 3+ feet with dipolar) speakers. Used that way, they create an extra set of reflections that anchor the phantom images in space, creating a more "realistic" sounding phantom image (e.g. with my Carver Dipole Ribbons upstairs, a vocalist sounds like they're really in the room singing as opposed to a stereo "image" of someone singing, if you take my meaning). This is more of an ambient/spatial effect than any type of surround use, however.

In your case, if you orientated the bipoles such that one set of drivers faced directly towards the MLP, you'd get a much sharper imaged effect. But then it also matters whether the bipoles in question are at 180 degrees to each other (front/back like my old Definitive Tech BP2 speakers) or one of these side wall types that have them angled closer to 30/150. The former would work better angled towards you. The latter works better between rows of seats (or as a null directly to the side in old 5.1 systems only). This would be purely to salvage the speakers if you didn't want to buy another direct firing set or whatever.

Frankly, with one row of seating, you're probably better off with direct firing monopoles regardless as there's not much useful to do with the other set of drivers (save perhaps the front/back ambient usage which is hard to do from the side unless you have a very wide room that you can put the side surrounds 12 inches away from the side walls without being too close to the seating). I think the angled bipoles in an Atmos type system are only really appropriate between multiple rows of seating, which really just fix the off-axis response issue of having one speaker between rows facing neither row, although if the speaker has excellent off-axis response that can work instead.

I have my direct firing surrounds slightly in front because they are a bit too close to the outside seats if they at 90deg. I found this gives much better front soundstage and because the closest listener is now 17.5 deg off-axis it has dramatically reduced the hot-spotting. They are only 15" forward of MLP and this allows them clear line of sight to MLP.

The bipoles I tried are Wharfedale Diamonds with the angled drivers (not 180deg back to back) and they wer directly to the side at 90deg - I only have one row of seating
post #56650 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 286
So, I finally waited long enough in the line to get to talk to a support representative of Disney+. Here is the answer to my question, What are the devices that support Dolby Atmos with Disney+?

"So we do not have a list of compatible devices. The Disney+ website states the following: To enjoy the highest-quality Disney+ experience, all components, including HDMI cables, should support high-bandwidth digital content. External displays should support HDCP 2.2 for 4K Ultra HD and HDR content. Older audio and video components can have an impact on quality or possibly prevent playback entirely."

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
post #56651 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
So, I finally waited long enough in the line to get to talk to a support representative of Disney+. Here is the answer to my question, What are the devices that support Dolby Atmos with Disney+?

"So we do not have a list of compatible devices. The Disney+ website states the following: To enjoy the highest-quality Disney+ experience, all components, including HDMI cables, should support high-bandwidth digital content. External displays should support HDCP 2.2 for 4K Ultra HD and HDR content. Older audio and video components can have an impact on quality or possibly prevent playback entirely."

I’d expect that answer , as if they said device a, b, c does ... and it did not for whatever reason, then it’s Disney’s fault ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #56652 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5326 Post(s)
Liked: 4423
It seems we've established that Atmos does work on The Mandalorian from a Roku, but not from an Apple TV or NVIDIA Shield. Has anyone tried an Amazon Fire TV device?

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #56653 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Strange. Every time I play an ATMOS disc, whether it's Blu-ray or UHD, the ATMOS feature actually works as advertised. Every single time.
G4n0nD0rf likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #56654 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unofficial Atmos with Disney+ list (feel free to modify as results come in). I've personally tested ATV 4K, NVidia Shield, PS4 and a FireTV 2nd gen (4K)

Atmos support in Disney+

Roku Ultra - yes

Atv4K - yes (Except The Mandalorian)

------

Xbox One - unknown

Newest FireTVs -unknown (Older no)

TVs - unknown

Computers - Unknown

--------

PS4 - no

NVidia Shield - no

Phones - You're kidding, right?

post #56655 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Strange. Every time I play an ATMOS disc, whether it's Blu-ray or UHD, the ATMOS feature actually works as advertised. Every single time.
Apples to oranges (movie vs player). Did you try those discs in every single Blu-ray player? I've read a lot of stories about Oppo players in particular given their popularity with home theater.

post #56656 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Dolby Atmos Setup / Test Tones / Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Some time back (2-3 months ago?) I went to the link in the first post of this thread and downloaded the Atmos setup test tones for my system. Recently I recommend a friend get them as well and sent him the link, but he couldn’t find them, just the two demo files. I now can’t find them either, are they still there and I’m missing a link, or have they been taken down?
I’m going to bump this as I’d really like to find these setup/test files. I downloaded one of them (7.2.2) a couple months ago, but now can’t find them, does anyone know if they’re still available somewhere?

From the first post in this thread:
Atmos test tones download (E-AC3 audio in .mp4 container):
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

Spoiler!
post #56657 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you have a Mac, you can download the 9.1.6 test tone Atmos demo from Dolby's web site (mp4 version has 'snap to' off so it will work with matrix and 'Scatmos' (extracted/steering) front wides.). For some reason, the last time I looked, the web site download didn't work correctly with Windows for some reason. Maybe someone should let Dolby know. The mac has a downloader app that worked fine when I tried it (It downloaded the mp4 version). The Dolby Blu-ray demo discs have the 'Snap to' versions on them.

post #56658 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Unofficial Atmos with Disney+ list (feel free to modify as results come in). I've personally tested ATV 4K, NVidia Shield, PS4 and a FireTV 2nd gen (4K)

Atmos support in Disney+

Xbox One - unknown

Phones - You're kidding, right?
Xbox One X doesn't show anything in Atmos on their app for me.

There are phones with Dolby Atmos - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/smartphone.html

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #56659 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I’d expect that answer , as if they said device a, b, c does ... and it did not for whatever reason, then it’s Disney’s fault ...

I 100% get this logic, only that it is not the logic that the other streaming services seem to use (or use to use): Netflix always provided (a much too short, IMO) list of devices that worked with their Atmos streams, Hulu will tell you which devices do 4K and Amazon is pretty open about what devices (usually only Amazon ones) that can do Atmos from their very limited selection.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
post #56660 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Good to know.

Quote:
There are phones with Dolby Atmos - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/smartphone.html
Wow. I can't imagine that doing anything useful with the speakers other than sounding a bit wider or whatever as even the orientation of the screen is up for grabs. Maybe Dolby headphone would work well there for movies, but without a screen reference to the sounds all over the place, I don't see the point, really other than maybe that's cool sounding (like binaural is).

post #56661 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5326 Post(s)
Liked: 4423
Quote:
Wow. I can't imagine that doing anything useful with the speakers other than sounding a bit wider or whatever as even the orientation of the screen is up for grabs. Maybe Dolby headphone would work well there for movies, but without a screen reference to the sounds all over the place, I don't see the point, really other than maybe that's cool sounding (like binaural is).
I think the intent is to stream the video from your phone to your TV and sound equipment, not to watch and listen to it on the phone itself.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #56662 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

I followed the link, got this screen

It’s an old iPhone listed, the X.
I clicked on it, that took me to apple site, there I saw nothing about Dolby technology in it.
I’ve got a 11Pro ...

post #56663 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you have a Mac, you can download the 9.1.6 test tone Atmos demo from Dolby's web site (mp4 version has 'snap to' off so it will work with matrix and 'Scatmos' (extracted/steering) front wides.). For some reason, the last time I looked, the web site download didn't work correctly with Windows for some reason. Maybe someone should let Dolby know. The mac has a downloader app that worked fine when I tried it (It downloaded the mp4 version). The Dolby Blu-ray demo discs have the 'Snap to' versions on them.
Do you have a link or location to that file? I do have a Mac but can't find the test files on the Dolby site any more, you used to be able to download a specific file for your setup (5.1.4, 7.1.2, 9.1.6, etc). I can't find anything so if you do know where it is, please post a link. Thanks.

Spoiler!
post #56664 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have a link or location to that file? I do have a Mac but can't find the test files on the Dolby site any more, you used to be able to download a specific file for your setup (5.1.4, 7.1.2, 9.1.6, etc). I can't find anything so if you do know where it is, please post a link. Thanks.
http://download.dolby.com/us/en/test...Downloader.dmg

Download and run on a Mac. Select Dolby 9.1.6 trailer (also available are 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 and the amaze and leaf demos). Just point it to a directory. It doesn't have a to be an actual flash drive. I just tested it. It works fine. It's 265.3MB for the 9.1.6 MP4 demo. You can even download all of them at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I think the intent is to stream the video from your phone to your TV and sound equipment, not to watch and listen to it on the phone itself.
Well, it's news to me. It seems like I read about DTS on phones/pads before and it wasn't for streaming. It was to make the device sound better than a crummy set of little speakers. An MP4 file can obviously host Atmos, after all (e.g. like the demos here). It shouldn't need a special phone for it. An AppleTV ought to be able to stream Atmos Airplay files, but I don't think that's quite supported yet (easy to test I suppose if you have an iPhone and can send it that MP4 file).

Last edited by MagnumX; 11-21-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #56665 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I followed the link, got this screen

It’s an old iPhone listed, the X.
I clicked on it, that took me to apple site, there I saw nothing about Dolby technology in it.
I’ve got a 11Pro ...

That looks like an old link. Maybe the below will help.

https://developer.dolby.com/platform...evice-support/
post #56666 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
I used DIY Soundgroup’s Volt 10’s in my gameroom. I cut Baltic birch plywood the same size as my drop ceiling tiles and mounted the volts. There are no enclosures for these as they can be run free air. Audyssey set them at 60hz. They sound amazing!!

Here is a small thread about them if anyone is interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post58835008
carp likes this.
post #56667 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 691
MOAR Atmos Music

Looks like Warner Music Group is joining Universal Music Group on the Atmos music bandwagon:

SAN FRANCISCO and LOS ANGELES, Nov. 21, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB), a leader in immersive entertainment experiences, and Warner Music Group (WMG) are introducing an elevated way to experience WMG songs and albums with Dolby Atmos Music. Dolby Atmos is redefining how music is experienced by giving artists a platform that allows listeners to experience a deeper connection with their favorite artists and songs.

Link to full press release here.
mikela, Nick V, sdrucker and 1 others like this.
post #56668 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I used DIY Soundgroup’s Volt 10’s in my gameroom. I cut Baltic birch plywood the same size as my drop ceiling tiles and mounted the volts. There are no enclosures for these as they can be run free air. Audyssey set them at 60hz. They sound amazing!!

Here is a small thread about them if anyone is interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post58835008
Nice. What's the speaker high on the side wall in the background and what are you using it for? It looks like a good spot for Auro-3D surround height. Or is that's what is being replaced with in-ceiling?

post #56669 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
http://download.dolby.com/us/en/test...Downloader.dmg

Download and run on a Mac. Select Dolby 9.1.6 trailer (also available are 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 and the amaze and leaf demos). Just point it to a directory. It doesn't have a to be an actual flash drive. I just tested it. It works fine. It's 265.3MB for the 9.1.6 MP4 demo. You can even download all of them at once.
Thank you, I was able to successfully download the macOS installer, and successfully run it once, so I have one more file than before. Before and after that one success, it's crashed on both a MacBook Pro running Catalina, and a Mac mini running High Sierra, single files or all at once, internal drive, external drive. Doesn't like something about my systems. Anyway thank you, I'm one step closer, they must have taken the page down as you used to be able to get this same collection from a browser.

Spoiler!
post #56670 of 58889 Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, I was able to successfully download the macOS installer, and successfully run it once, so I have one more file than before. Before and after that one success, it's crashed on both a MacBook Pro running Catalina, and a Mac mini running High Sierra, single files or all at once, internal drive, external drive. Doesn't like something about my systems. Anyway thank you, I'm one step closer, they must have taken the page down as you used to be able to get this same collection from a browser.
Which one did you get? I'm running 10.14.6 Mojave (2012 Mac Mini Server Quad I7 16GB Ram, 2TB SSD). It runs fine. I downloaded all the files after that one. No crashes. This Mac in particular has been mighty stable for me now for 7 years and it ran dual 1TB RAID0 for over 6 years with no disk errors before I decided to get a faster SSD which let me put Windows 10 on it if I need it, which I set up to read my Mac media drives so KODI on various devices around the house can access the media library regardless of which OS I'm in as they appear the same to it. (It has typically run for many months without a reboot, which is usually only necessitated by either needing to use Windows 10 for something beyond VMWare or for a system update).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page