The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1908 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27038Likes

post #57211 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaddict View Post
I am curious why ?
The why is way over my head, and I even wonder if someone has a conclusive explanation for it. It's however an empirical fact known amongst integrators and calibrators. I believe @appelz even suggest at 2 to 3 meter as minimum.

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #57212 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 840
All the bias and hate against Apple TV and/or Apple itself I'm still seeing from some people is misplaced, for example as it's already been stated (and I can personally vouch for) that Atmos on it does work with 1080p from iTunes (and in the US Netflix and Disney+ also). Vudu and Prime do look for a 4K set, but that is not Apple's fault. I have an Apple TV 4K and it's connected to a 1080p projector. Atmos still works fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
Short HDMI cables are prone to causing all kinds of issues. For starters I would advice you to use one that is at least 1.5-2 meter.
I've never had a problem with "short" HDMI cables (I have several in the 2-4 foot long category) other than them not reaching or getting pulled on as longer cables create more clutter in short distances. But certainly extra long HDMI cables can be an issue as HDMI is known for signal reduction in really long runs without a booster). However, regardless, trying a different HDMI cable is a very good idea indeed and based on the user's above tests thus far, the most likely candidate at this point. I think most of my "shorter" cables have been Amazon Basics and they have all have been fine.

The "short HDMI cables are prone to causing all kinds of issues" thing has me curious. If the cable is being flexed too much, yes, the wires can be damaged inside and you don't want something tugging on the connectors either), but the length itself? I've been searching, but I haven't found any evidence so far outside of overly inflexible connections that get tugged on can damage short cable runs (or any run where the cable is too short for the distance) and some contractors that seem to be using the idea to sell longer more expensive cables (the Monster cable thing is profitable).

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...short.2051146/ (consensus here seems to think it's an installer scam to get people to buy longer more profitable runs of cable)

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B00K3HF276 (pretty high reviews on this 1 foot (0.3m) long cable if "short" is an issue).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...ead-1080p.html (gives an explanation of why short cables fail despite HDMI being designed for internal connections in mere inches and it seems to be design issues, not the length itself).

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hd...-are-the-same/ (old article and so not 4K "high speed" friendly) but length is only mentioned for runs over 25 feet. 50 feet seems to be the limit without boosting the signal.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)

Last edited by MagnumX; 01-14-2020 at 05:18 AM.
post #57213 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 224
With respect to 6 foot cables being the "sweet spot", this is talked about all the time by Jim Peterson, president of Lumagen. I'm including some text of his...not completely related to the discussion here, but signal tolerances on different lengths of cable is something we discuss on the Lumagen thread constantly.

From Jim Peterson at Lumagen on the Lumagen thread (last week):

Concerning audio dropouts after an update:

I can say from experience that if you do an update and then get any dropouts, this comes down to the HDMI cabling. The different releases can have slightly different output jitters. The Pro has some of the lowest jitter measurements of any HDMI device I know about, but the low jitter does vary from release to release by a small margin. However, this should not affect either audio or the video. If it does check your cables:

- Make sure you did not loosen a HDMI plug while updating. It happens. I did this to myself on the latest release. I had a drop out in video and then discovered a plug slightly moved out. Plugged it back in and no more dropouts.

- Make sure all passive HDMI cables are 2 to 3 meters long and 18 GHz Certified. Very important. Cables under 2 meter can cause issues with the signal being "too hot" and audio goes first due to the IMO poor decision that it is carried as a non-coherent data stream on top of video. I solve issues in the field all the time by getting people to replace their 1 meter cables with 2 meter cables.

- I recommend the Tributaries UHDP passive HDMI cables, but there are a few other good HDMI cables available. Getting people to switch to the UHDP has solved issues on a number of occasions.

- Might even help to clean the contacts. Pull each end of every HDMI cable half way out and push back in five times. This cleans the contacts and better forms the contacts together. This little trick has resolved a lot of issues in various systems.
galonzo, maikeldepotter and dfa973 like this.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) & 203, Apple TV 4K, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #57214 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Atmos solved - YAY!

So finally I get to see the longed for 'Atmos' displayed on the front of the Yamaha RX-A3050, actually playing content from the AppleTV. Anyone guessing it was the AppleTV causing the problem can pat themselves on the back. But the solution was not what I would call obvious.

First of all, I totally failed to make any headway playing content from a USB stick in either the A3050 itself or my Blu-Ray player. Both have real problems with anything 'unusual' and simply refused to play ball.

As suggested, I swapped the HDMI cable from the AppleTV to the A3050 to a longer one from a Sky Q setup we no longer have. Since Sky Q can play 4K and Atmos, I figured it must be capable. But no difference. Still no Atmos.

So I swapped the Apple TV as I have another 4K one elsewhere and 2 of them cannot both be faulty. Well, faulty may be the wrong word, but they both exhibited the same problem - no Atmos. Until…

Looking at the Apple TV setup, in Audio and Video section, the Audio Format is set to Auto and in that main section screen, displays 'Auto', even when you enter that option and see 'Immersive Audio' is enabled.

Then while looking at the settings thinking I wish I could simply select 4K and be done with it, on a whim I tried changing the video from 1080P/50 SDR -> 1080P/50 HDR. I don't believe my Panasonic plasma is actually HDR, but what the hell, might as well try. If it doesn't work, it will revert back so no problem. However although it did actually produce a display on the TV, the AppleTV menus and screens look really washed out. Dreadful picture in fact, but not expecting much I tried the Dolby demos again…

Yay! The A3050 finally actually shows Atmos and all is working. I'm not sure if the picture quality is actually worse, like the AppleTV's own screens, but the all important Atmos is now functioning. So…

You may imagine from this that the AppleTV requires the video output set to HDR before Atmos will function and indeed when checking the Audio and Video section of Settings, Audio Format now shows 'Auto, Atmos available', so it has definitely now got its act together and all set to work with Atmos.

However, this was all with the other AppleTV that I was trying and that had to go back to another room with a TV that is definitely SDR, so I switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and was rather surprised to see that Audio Format still said 'Auto, Atmos available' (but much more clearly now set back to SDR) and when I again tried the Dolby demos, they still play perfectly with Atmos.

I then swapped back to the original AppleTV for that room and changed to 1080P/50 HDR resulting in the same washed out AppleTV screens and Audio Format now showing 'Auto, Atmos available'. But I then immediately switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and lo and behold Audio Format remains as 'Auto, Atmos available' and the Dolby demos play perfectly with Atmos.

Apart from my obvious joy and relief to get Atmos working, I am completely bemused by this. In order to actually play Atmos, the Apple TV 4K must have been switched to an HDR video mode, even though it can then be reset to SDR. This is totally bizarre. First of all, why in any way link those 2 features. The sound quality has NOTHING to do with any video format or quality setting. Secondly, why will it refuse to work on SDR until HDR has been selected, enabling Atmos but then still working once switched back to SDR.

Needless to say, thank you to all who assisted, but I'll bet NO-ONE expected this to be the cause. However, if anyone can shed any light on this bizarre AppleTV behaviour - please do.
post #57215 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKenGB View Post
So finally I get to see the longed for 'Atmos' displayed on the front of the Yamaha RX-A3050, actually playing content from the AppleTV. Anyone guessing it was the AppleTV causing the problem can pat themselves on the back. But the solution was not what I would call obvious.

First of all, I totally failed to make any headway playing content from a USB stick in either the A3050 itself or my Blu-Ray player. Both have real problems with anything 'unusual' and simply refused to play ball.

As suggested, I swapped the HDMI cable from the AppleTV to the A3050 to a longer one from a Sky Q setup we no longer have. Since Sky Q can play 4K and Atmos, I figured it must be capable. But no difference. Still no Atmos.

So I swapped the Apple TV as I have another 4K one elsewhere and 2 of them cannot both be faulty. Well, faulty may be the wrong word, but they both exhibited the same problem - no Atmos. Until…

Looking at the Apple TV setup, in Audio and Video section, the Audio Format is set to Auto and in that main section screen, displays 'Auto', even when you enter that option and see 'Immersive Audio' is enabled.

Then while looking at the settings thinking I wish I could simply select 4K and be done with it, on a whim I tried changing the video from 1080P/50 SDR -> 1080P/50 HDR. I don't believe my Panasonic plasma is actually HDR, but what the hell, might as well try. If it doesn't work, it will revert back so no problem. However although it did actually produce a display on the TV, the AppleTV menus and screens look really washed out. Dreadful picture in fact, but not expecting much I tried the Dolby demos again…

Yay! The A3050 finally actually shows Atmos and all is working. I'm not sure if the picture quality is actually worse, like the AppleTV's own screens, but the all important Atmos is now functioning. So…

You may imagine from this that the AppleTV requires the video output set to HDR before Atmos will function and indeed when checking the Audio and Video section of Settings, Audio Format now shows 'Auto, Atmos available', so it has definitely now got its act together and all set to work with Atmos.

However, this was all with the other AppleTV that I was trying and that had to go back to another room with a TV that is definitely SDR, so I switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and was rather surprised to see that Audio Format still said 'Auto, Atmos available' (but much more clearly now set back to SDR) and when I again tried the Dolby demos, they still play perfectly with Atmos.

I then swapped back to the original AppleTV for that room and changed to 1080P/50 HDR resulting in the same washed out AppleTV screens and Audio Format now showing 'Auto, Atmos available'. But I then immediately switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and lo and behold Audio Format remains as 'Auto, Atmos available' and the Dolby demos play perfectly with Atmos.

Apart from my obvious joy and relief to get Atmos working, I am completely bemused by this. In order to actually play Atmos, the Apple TV 4K must have been switched to an HDR video mode, even though it can then be reset to SDR. This is totally bizarre. First of all, why in any way link those 2 features. The sound quality has NOTHING to do with any video format or quality setting. Secondly, why will it refuse to work on SDR until HDR has been selected, enabling Atmos but then still working once switched back to SDR.

Needless to say, thank you to all who assisted, but I'll bet NO-ONE expected this to be the cause. However, if anyone can shed any light on this bizarre AppleTV behaviour - please do.
I'm glad you finally got it to work.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #57216 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You know, I enabled all the "HDR" modes while playing with it (since it claims my Epson can display that mode, which it can, but the colors have to shifted to "dynamic" for them to look remotely correct along with some adjustments). I don't think it's actually "HDR" but I did leave the modes on the AppleTV. I thought about this, but since others said their Apple TVs worked on 2K/1080P sets also, I figured it probably had nothing to do with it, but I did wonder when I first used the unit if that was going to fool it into thinking I had a 4K set (but it never once suggested I had any 4K modes, just HDR and I switched back to SDR and Atmos still worked so I figured it had nothing to do with it.) It's interesting that it apparently does need to switch at least once. I don't know if that's intentional or an oversight.

In any case, congratulations. Let us know how you like Jumanji in Atmos (makes sure your levels are set well; you won't want to miss the overhead mosquito effect).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)

Last edited by MagnumX; 01-14-2020 at 04:31 PM.
post #57217 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2258 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaddict View Post
I am curious why ?

The explanation that I've heard is that because there is never a perfect impedance match between the cable and the device, there are signal reflections at their interface.

With short cables, the reflection is so close behind the main signal that it confuses the receiving device.

Not sure if that's plausible given that signals travel at light speed, but when we're talking GHz, maybe.

Noah
post #57218 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Is it true that overhead/Atmos channels don't get "stressed" too much and thus you can get away with smaller/lower-SPL speakers? What's the most "crazy" a movie has gone with effects/SPL for the overhead channels?
jsgrise likes this.
post #57219 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
With respect to 6 foot cables being the "sweet spot", this is talked about all the time by Jim Peterson, president of Lumagen. I'm including some text of his...not completely related to the discussion here, but signal tolerances on different lengths of cable is something we discuss on the Lumagen thread constantly.

From Jim Peterson at Lumagen on the Lumagen thread (last week):
(snip)
- Make sure you did not loosen a HDMI plug while updating. It happens. I did this to myself on the latest release. I had a drop out in video and then discovered a plug slightly moved out. Plugged it back in and no more dropouts.

- Make sure all passive HDMI cables are 2 to 3 meters long and 18 GHz Certified. Very important. Cables under 2 meter can cause issues with the signal being "too hot" and audio goes first due to the IMO poor decision that it is carried as a non-coherent data stream on top of video. I solve issues in the field all the time by getting people to replace their 1 meter cables with 2 meter cables.
[/I]
All things considered, having a 6' (minimum) length HDMI cable to minimize potential complications from too short a cable is a small price to pay to reduce audio dropouts and glitches. It's not like the price difference between a 3 foot and 6 foot cable is hundreds of dollars...and if you buy, say, Blue Jeans Cable's BJC Series-FE (which they claim is Premium certified for up to 18 Gbps), it's liable to be within a few dollars: $15.75 for 3 feet vs. $23.25 for 6 feet.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 01-14-2020 at 04:30 PM.
post #57220 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 4800 Post(s)
Liked: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Is it true that overhead/Atmos channels don't get "stressed" too much and thus you can get away with smaller/lower-SPL speakers? What's the most "crazy" a movie has gone with effects/SPL for the overhead channels?
Off the top of my head... Blade Runner 2049.
jsgrise likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #57221 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

Good question - it can be true be the most important thing to keep in mind, high or low SPL, is that your overhead speakers need to blend in with the rest of the system, if not it might be distracting and steer you away from the perceived 3D sound bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tigerhonaker likes this.

MAKE AUDIO GREAT AGAIN | Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #57222 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Off the top of my head... Blade Runner 2049.
Blade Runner is incredibly loud, especially the subwoofer channel, but the overhead channels? What scenes other than the flying car and interrogation cell for Agent K uses overheads "that" much in Blade Runner 2049? It wouldn't make my top 10 list for overhead sounds by a long shot. Overall list, perhaps, but I didn't hear that much overhead sounds in it. The original had a ton (every time that blimp thing passed overhead for starters and the cars made way longer more sustained overhead sounds in the original as well, IMO).

I still like the opening to Flatliners the best for a quick overhead demo. The voices moving all over the ceiling is incredible.

In any case, the overheads are technically full range channels and really should be treated as such unlike the old "you can get by with a Radio Shack AM radio speaker" advice they used to give for Pro Logic which didn't do a whole lot with the surround channel and they were bandwidth limited to boot. I'd recommend bookshelf speakers designed for overhead use. People can get away with less bass (the bass driver takes up the most space anyway) and run a crossover at 120Hz or whatever, but the speakers should be able to pump out the same 105dB requirement as the mains, IMO.
galonzo, niterida and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by MagnumX; 01-14-2020 at 05:05 PM.
post #57223 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked: 2395
We just finished watching the UHD Blu-Ray edition of The Joker (in DV/Atmos). The movie far exceeded my expectations based on the reviews I had read. Amazing, haunting performance by Joaquin Phoenix and very effective atmospherics created by both the cinematography and score.

I would highly recommend it both for content as well as A/V quality.
sdurani, jsgrise, galonzo and 2 others like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #57224 of 57263 Old 01-14-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I installed new tweeters (4) into my PSB S50 side height/top middle bipolar wall-mount speakers, the same 3rd party brand fabric tweeters I used in to the front heights due to very good off-axis response (where you can't tilt them very well). Wow. What an improvement. The helicopter blades are absolutely unchanging in the highs of the rotors now when it flies through the middle of the room. With a little leaked to the front/back to combat the location (side and slightly lower), they sound pretty much invisible in that demo now with no change between the speakers at all to speak of. I'm actually quite happy with the sound of every speaker now (after turning off full range Audyssey and letting the speakers do their own thing as flat as they are anyway) and the first two rows now both sound excellent, IMO. The third row is a little loud for the rears being so close to them, but the fronts and sides are quite even (easier to do with 3 sets of arrayed sides). I'm actually thinking I might be able to even that out too if I connect the rear surrounds into the matrix mixers as well and stagger the volume levels so they always appear behind in the 2nd and 3rd rows, but provide a little more volume sooner for the first row so it doesn't need to be quite as loud in the back to even it all out (although the 2nd and 3rd rows get little use and the rears aren't as active as the sides).

After first doing some Atmos and X demo tests with without leaking front/rear heights to compare the soundstage, I then proceeded to test my 3 new Auro-3D albums (I have a 4th one on the way, "Spektral Quartet - Serious Business" that also has an Atmos version on it). Mando Diao's Aelita, Tiesto's Elements of Life and Lichtmond 3. Totally awesome. Lichtmond is very Pink Floyd-esque in some respects and the sounds flying around the room are crazy good. I've listened to the first 4th of it and the first few songs of the other two (Mando Diao is very good, IMO. They site the Beatles as their big influence, but I sense more of a Bryan Adams with a touch of Billy Idol in the single "Black Saturday".) Tiesto is more synth-based DJ style music, but seems interesting as well, although the tracks seem to take a while to get going. It'll be interesting to compare the Atmos versus Auro mix of Spektral Quartet.

post #57225 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Now that the Apple issue is resolved -
Do you have a network connection on your BD player? Can it play files from your network? My UHD player would not play files from my USB stick easily, but has no issues with streaming files from my NAS. No issues getting Atmos from my NAS.
galonzo likes this.
post #57226 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Now that the Apple issue is resolved -
Do you have a network connection on your BD player? Can it play files from your network? My UHD player would not play files from my USB stick easily, but has no issues with streaming files from my NAS. No issues getting Atmos from my NAS.
Yes it is network connected and I tried to access my server, but it failed to connect. Thinking back on it, I was probably trying to use the wrong protocol, but all a moot point now that it's all working and I have no need of the disc player except to, well, play discs.
post #57227 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
good morning

my dimention for my home theater is 11 large to 25 long and 7 hight .

now my home theater system room is 7.4.6 but some friends tell me ,is better you put your system to 9.4.4.

what you think.

thank you for your answers.

oled 65e6p-oppo203-marantz av8805-1émotiva xpr5-1émotivax pa3-2émotiva xpa-5 -4 subs klipsch s-112-5 ac infinity aircom s8.
post #57228 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Hi all,

I have a question regarding Dolby Atmos Music as it was launched recently and now supported thru Amazon Music HD.

I understand i need the following:
1) Amazon music HD account (obvious)
2) Heos app on my Iphone, connecting one side to Amazon music and the other side to a Denon or Marantz AVR
3) Then can start streaming Atmos music from the AVR and enjoy multi-channel HD music

Can someone confirm this works as designed and what is the overall result and quality ?

9.2.4 : Panasonic UBD700 / Marantz 7009 + Lexicon CX-7 / Monitor Audio Gold GX (300+center+S12+S6+S6) [bottom 9] + Bose 101 monitors [top 4] / Klipsch R 115 + Sydney AR12 / Epson 9300
post #57229 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Good question - it can be true be the most important thing to keep in mind, high or low SPL, is that your overhead speakers need to blend in with the rest of the system,
if not it might be distracting and steer you away from the perceived 3D sound bubble.

jsgrise,

That was one of the most important considerations for me when looking into the addition of Atmos.
I have all JML Utopia speakers and wanted to get the Atmos in-ceiling speakers to match those as close as possible.
Hopefully, I'll be adding Atmos in the coming months I decided after extensive research to go with Triad.

Terry
jsgrise likes this.
post #57230 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
jsgrise,

That was one of the most important considerations for me when looking into the addition of Atmos.

I have all JML Utopia speakers and wanted to get the Atmos in-ceiling speakers to match those as close as possible.

Hopefully, I'll be adding Atmos in the coming months I decided after extensive research to go with Triad.

Terry

You will be rewarded for it. One common misconception of Dolby Atmos (and other immersive format) is that it is to add sound from above. Will it is in part true, it is much more than that by adding sound objects in the 3D space.

I was watching Apocalypse Now in Atmos last night and there was one scene where you could swear there was flies flying around the IN THE ROOM.

When well done:

2D audio = sound around you
3D audio = you are in the sound

To accomplish that, you need matching speakers the best you can.

Looking forward for you impressions once you have it installed!

tigerhonaker likes this.

MAKE AUDIO GREAT AGAIN | Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #57231 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by leboche View Post
my dimention for my home theater is 11 large to 25 long and 7 hight .

now my home theater system room is 7.4.6 but some friends tell me ,is better you put your system to 9.4.4.

what you think.
Do you have a receiver/processor that can decode 13 channels? Most max out at 11.

The Dolby Surround Upmixer never uses Front Wide speakers. Ever. Dolby Atmos soundtracks can, but unfortunately most are authored to not use them.

All DTS audio formats (which includes using the DTS Neural:X upmixer) are limited to a maximum of 11 channels of audio. You will need to choose between 7.x.4 or 9.x.2 when using Neural:X. Worse, native DTS:X soundtracks will not use the Front Wide speakers at all if Surround Backs are engaged.

Long story short, 7.x.4 is the sweet spot for most current audio formats.
galonzo and dfa973 like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #57232 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Quote:
You will be rewarded for it. One common misconception of Dolby Atmos (and other immersive format) is that it is to add sound from above. Will it is in part true, it is much more than that by adding sound objects in the 3D space.

I was watching Apocalypse Now in Atmos last night and there was one scene where you could swear there was flies flying around the IN THE ROOM.
An even bigger misconception is that utilizing sound objects through the ground level speakers is perceptually any different than mixing in regular channels. It is not. Any standard 5.1 or 7.1 channel-based soundtrack is equally capable of imaging sounds between speakers.

The 5.1 soundtrack on Kill Bill Vol. 1 has a scene similar to what you describe, where a mosquito will buzz through the center of the room right by your ear.
jsgrise, MagnumX and galonzo like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #57233 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
An even bigger misconception is that utilizing sound objects through the ground level speakers is perceptually any different than mixing in regular channels. It is not. Any standard 5.1 or 7.1 channel-based soundtrack is equally capable of imaging sounds between speakers.

The 5.1 soundtrack on Kill Bill Vol. 1 has a scene similar to what you describe, where a mosquito will buzz through the center of the room right by your ear.
Exactly. It is the mixing process wich has been greatly improved by Atmos. A downmix of an Atmos mix profits from this as well.
jsgrise and galonzo like this.
post #57234 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:

I recall a scene from Ready Player One where the shield is brought down that seemed incredibly loud in the atmos speakers (I do run my atmos speakers about +5 db hot). I used to run mine with a crossover at 80Hz, but after listening to that scene a few times, I bumped the crossover up to 100hz and seems to sound much better to me.
galonzo and dfa973 like this.
post #57235 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Thumbs up

Quote:

When well done:

To accomplish that, you need matching speakers the best you can.

Looking forward for you impressions once you have it installed!

jsgrise,

I'm so glad I stumbled on you and your comments.

You have actually said and pointed out what I have been thinking a True-Atmos-System would provide if done "Professionally".
If your interested follow me on my Main-Dedicated-Thread below in my Signature.
I just now completed my H/T Components/Gear below My-Signature a few minutes ago less the Up-Coming Atmos below if your interested.
I'm thinking I might have the rest of my Atmos information by week ending, hopefully.
Once I receive that I will be doing an In-Depth post with lots & lots of Highly-Detailed information and pictures.

Have a Good-Day,
Terry in the USA
jsgrise likes this.
post #57236 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasender91 View Post
Hi all,

I have a question regarding Dolby Atmos Music as it was launched recently and now supported thru Amazon Music HD.

I understand i need the following:
1) Amazon music HD account (obvious)
2) Heos app on my Iphone, connecting one side to Amazon music and the other side to a Denon or Marantz AVR
3) Then can start streaming Atmos music from the AVR and enjoy multi-channel HD music [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

Can someone confirm this works as designed and what is the overall result and quality ?
I can confirm as of about two weeks ago that setup did not work for Atmos unfortunately. I had their 3 month free trial which just ended Jan 6th at which point I canceled because all that time the only way to experience their Atmos music was by purchasing their own (Amazon’s) single speaker and playing back through that. So at the moment their just using their affiliation with Dolby to attempt to sell their new speaker. For us with nice Atmos setups - no thanks. Maybe since 1/6 they have released it to other devices but I try to look for news updates and have yet to see any. Since around September of last year thus appears to be a ploy to sell their new “Atmos” speaker. Oh well.
elee532, galonzo and pasender91 like this.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #57237 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it does the exact same thing in 7.1. No difference whatsoever as 7.1 can do everything 7.1.4 Atmos can except overheads, which is the 7.1 in 7.1.4.

Now Atmos CAN do more than that, but you need more bed level speakers (say surround #1 and surround #2 that go between the side surrounds and rear surrounds) and you need Atmos soundtracks that will actually use those speakers (oddly, they seem to disable things like front wides on many soundtracks or don't use them much, which defeats the entire point of an object based system. We might as well just used Auro 11.1 or 13.1

Quote:
When well done:

And yet most people had no interest in 3D video whatsoever (I loved it; I have well over 200 movies in 3D here, but oddly most 3D movies don't have 3D sound for some bizarre reason. I've remuxed as many as I can to add it, though). I guess people don't want to be in the action. They'd rather view it on their phones, I think.
jsgrise, G4n0nD0rf and dfa973 like this.

post #57238 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 7463 Post(s)
Liked: 6586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leboche View Post
Some Atmos soundtracks are mixed so that they only use the middle pair of height speakers. If you have 6 speakers above you, then only 2 speakers (middle pair) will get used.

However, if you don't have the middle pair of height speakers, then those 2 channels are split to the front AND back pair of height speakers (same way the centre channel is split to L/R speakers if you don't have a centre speaker).

That might be why your friends are telling you that 4 height speakers is better than 6 height speakers. On 7.1.2 soundtracks, it's the difference between hearing sound from 2 speakers above you versus hearing the sound from 4 speakers above you.
jsgrise and galonzo like this.

Sanjay
post #57239 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Yeah, it does the exact same thing in 7.1. No difference whatsoever as 7.1 can do everything 7.1.4 Atmos can except overheads, which is the 7.1 in 7.1.4.

Now Atmos CAN do more than that, but you need more bed level speakers (say surround #1 and surround #2 that go between the side surrounds and rear surrounds) and you need Atmos soundtracks that will actually use those speakers (oddly, they seem to disable things like front wides on many soundtracks or don't use them much, which defeats the entire point of an object based system. We might as well just used Auro 11.1 or 13.1
In my case, maybe Atmos has been a major improvement because I added Front Wides. In my setup, it sounded much more natural than having Sides and Rears (typical 7.1).

post #57240 of 57263 Old 01-15-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
jsgrise,

I'm so glad I stumbled on you and your comments.

You have actually said and pointed out what I have been thinking a True-Atmos-System would provide if done "Professionally".
If your interested follow me on my Main-Dedicated-Thread below in my Signature.
I just now completed my H/T Components/Gear below My-Signature a few minutes ago less the Up-Coming Atmos below if your interested.
I'm thinking I might have the rest of my Atmos information by week ending, hopefully.
Once I receive that I will be doing an In-Depth post with lots & lots of Highly-Detailed information and pictures.

Have a Good-Day,
Terry in the USA

Man you have some killer gear. You are doing things right, you are taking your time and adding top quality equipment rather than going fast with cheap stuff.

I am very jealous of your projector. It is my next component to upgrade but I am waiting for a cheaper version of a native 4K laser projector with good black levels.

Looking forward to your Atmos setup! I would love to go to Nashville one day, I'm a big Country Music fan. Might pay you a visit!
tigerhonaker likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page