The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25608Likes

post #6601 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Thanks for that detailed report. Very helpful. I already have my Atmos ceiling speakers in place but I also have Front Height speakers which were used for PLIIz, Neo:X before. I was about to remove these speakers and sell them, but from what you say, the best plan may be to leave them in place in case Auro comes along in the future. That will give me 6 speakers 'up there' - the old Front Heights, the Atmos first row pair and the Atmos second row pair. I won't bother with a VOG speaker as I'd expect the existing ceiling speakers would do a good job of phantom imaging that. I can easily add a Centre Height speaker if necessary.

Thanks again - I will remove my ad for the current Height speakers from the UK forum where I have them for sale and see how things develop.

TBH I don't have a lot of confidence that Auro will succeed, but if all I need to do to future-proof myself for now is leave an existing pair iof speakers in place, that's a pretty easy decision.
Happy that I could be a help. I was asking the same question to Auro yesterday and the answer was that they also have contracts with a lot of major Hollywood studios! I remember back in 1997 I bought a Millenium 2*4*6. If someone remembers, it was the first standalone DTS decoder.Everybody laughed at me and said DTS wouldn't have a future. Especially as back in these days you had to buy specific Laser Discs that were DTS only, so without a DTS decoder no playback possible. Now look at DTS 17 years later...

Anyway even if it does not succeed as a native format, I heard lots of raving reviews on their upmixer Auromatic being way superior to Dolby Surround! I just want to keep my options open
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
FWIW, the manuals for the Denon and Marantz models which support Atmos claim that they support both updates and upgrades, with separate notification messages. One can hope that they'll be able to upgrade to support Auro and DTS UHD when they become available. For a fee, of course, to cover the additional licensing costs.

Auro did publicize that D&M were among their partners.
http://www.auro-3d.com/press/2014/01...ile-platforms/

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

Last edited by Selden Ball; 09-07-2014 at 05:48 AM.
post #6603 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
I visited a local Best Buy Magnolia store last week and asked one of the reps if they were going to setup an Atmos demo and he had no clue what I was talking about. I pointed him to the Best Buy website which provides a page describing Dolby Atmos and also to the pages containing the Atmos receivers and speakers that they are selling. No wonder Best Buy's sales are down.
Same experience in Atlanta. Local BB-Mag store where I live can't even demo speakers after several visits; their switching control system is down and they can't find the key to open the cabinet to reboot it

I called the main Perimeter Mall Magnolia Design Center last Friday and they are totally clueless about Atmos. They have no idea what it's about, if they're selling Pioneer's speakers, or going to have a demo room. Totally useless as a retailer! they couldn't even demo some ceiling speaker I wanted to listen to, plus they only had 1, not 1 pair, but 1, in stock. How do you end up with or sell only one?

I told the sales assoc at Perimeter Des Ctr they should check their own company web site home page, where Atmos Coming Soon is plastered all over it and learn something.

IF Magnolia were a competent retailer, they would have all their store managers up to speed and IF the managers were competent, they would do some initial training of their salespeople to know what it's about and what the store's plans are.

Clearly, the ones in Atlanta aren't competent. I can almost excuse a BB-Mag but not the main design center. IMHO, either corporate Magnolia is doing a poor job of rolling it out or Atlanta management is incompetent and don't deserve the job. The guy at the local BB-Mag store at least knew something about Atmos but there's no excuse for the main Design Center to be ignorant about it. this is the 2nd time I've called them with the same ignorant results.

And BB management wonders why people showroom them...how do you sell speakers if people can't listen to them?

the speaker selector issue has gone on for weeks, according to the BB sales guy. one has to wonder if the mgr just picks his toes?

IF BB or Magnolia go out of business, they deserve their fate. I gave up on BB years ago for major AV purchases.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 09-07-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6604 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Like that... the entire hall is about 3.6m (W) by 6m (L) by 3m (H)
The cove extends 700mm into the hall on both sides..
I think what is most important here, that the speakers is more then 50cm away from the wall. I would think that pointing would work, but then I would work with a pointable tweeter of a speaker with a general wider dispersion pattern. I am looking into the Jamo IC 608 FG ( not the three way LCR version). That shoul offer all of the above.
post #6605 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Thanks westmd
My choice is the AG A'Diva, which can be directed when mounted using their ceiling ring mount..
post #6606 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I'm checking into the Gallos, pete. look stylish as well as functional. I'm glad I saw your post a day or 2 ago about them. I may not go that way but it is another option to consider.

Steve
post #6607 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7742 Post(s)
Liked: 7041
Quote:

Like that... the entire hall is about 3.6m (W) by 6m (L) by 3m (H)
The cove extends 700mm into the hall on both sides..
What matters is that ideally the ceiling speakers would be in line with the front left and right. How far off this ideal will they be?

Last edited by kbarnes701; 09-07-2014 at 06:53 AM.
post #6608 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
IDK the answer to your question (which is probably, I suspect, "maybe") but at the London Dolby Atnos demos I was surprised at how small an area of ceiling they used to bounce the sound off. If you look at my second report, you'll see pictures that show what I mean. I’d be wary of taking that as a definite 'yes' to your question, but your idea may well work. I think you'd have to try it to be sure. Having parts of the ceiling at different angles to each other are usually problematic, so it may also be the case for Atmos. Remember you can do an Atmos setup with just two ceiling speakers (5.1.2 or 7.1.2) so you might be OK with that 3 feet area of flat ceiling, for just two speakers. 2 ceiling speakers isn't ideal, but it will be better than what we have currently.

I agree with UKTexan that 16 feet is too high for upfirers so you would have to try physical speakers.

WRT to UKTexan;'s remark about lowering the surrounds, that is indeed the general advice. But the reason is to obtain separation between the surrounds and the overheads, when one has a typical 8ft ceiling. With your 16 ft ceiling you probably have that separation already so can leave the surrounds where they are (as they do in commercial cinemas).
Thanks for you response.Does the following make sense?.My front nht 2.5 front speakers are 3ft 4inches tall.If I place Dolby enabled modules on top of these 3ft,4 inch high speakers would 16ft minus 3ft 4inch reduce the height to my flat ceiling portion to 12ft 8 inches and be in the Dolby Atmos parameters for optimal ceiling height for reflective sound? Or I am just grasping at straws here?
post #6609 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
What matters is that ideally the ceiling speakers would be in line with the front left and right. How far off this ideal will they be?
The front R & L should be a tad more narrow, but within 50cm each side...
post #6610 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Anyway even if it does not succeed as a native format, I heard lots of raving reviews on their upmixer Auromatic being way superior to Dolby Surround! I just want to keep my options open
Yes - the upmixer is an attractive proposition even if Auro movies as such don't materialize. Very interesting option.
post #6611 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Check out this thread discussing Scott Wilkinson's HTG podcast with two tech guys from Dolby Labs—Brett Crockett, senior director of research, sound technology, and Craig Eggers, director, home theater—explain Dolby Atmos for cinema and home theater, including its object orientation, overhead and upfiring speakers, objects and "beds," the Dolby Surround upmixer, and streaming and Blu-ray content. They also answer questions from AVS members and the chat room, including speaker placement, multiple seating rows, timbre matching, how objects and beds are assigned to speakers, video games, Atmos in headphones, retailer demos, finding Atmos cinemas, and much more.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-av...l#post27169290

YouTube video (podcast): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQ-fxj3t6k#t=19

A lot of good information there. Details like:

Multiple surround speakers can be used as an array or individual, but that is determined by the soundtrack mixer and AVR capabilities and not only by the speaker configuration.

All Bluray players may or may not be compatible with Atmos. They finessed that by saying that your Bluray player has to meet the full Bluray spec. I guess that means you have to try an Atmos mix on your existing Bluray player to be certain if your player meets the full Bluray spec.

Locating ceiling speakers was discussed.
post #6612 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
FWIW, the manuals for the Denon and Marantz models which support Atmos claim that they support both updates and upgrades, with separate notification messages. One can hope that they'll be able to upgrade to support Auro and DTS UHD when they become available. For a fee, of course, to cover the additional licensing costs.
Yes I spotted that too. A section for 'update' and a separate section for 'upgrade'. Made me wonder what they might upgrade to... but it is encouraging that the option is there.
post #6613 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
And BB management wonders why people showroom them...how do you sell speakers if people can't listen to them?
This is why I feel no guilt in showrooming these big retailers. Generally they are useless for anything else! If I find a proper retailer, I will support them (and I do have a very good supplier of AV gear here, and at great prices, with superb demo facilities too. Limited range, but all good) but all too often the experience you had is the one I have too. One of the obvious ways in which a B&M retailer can compete with the Internet is with demos and helpful and knowledgeable staff. If they have neither, then there's no reason not to buy on the Internet and (usually) save some $$$.
Dan Hitchman and htpcforever like this.
post #6614 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothsavers View Post
Thanks for you response.Does the following make sense?.My front nht 2.5 front speakers are 3ft 4inches tall.If I place Dolby enabled modules on top of these 3ft,4 inch high speakers would 16ft minus 3ft 4inch reduce the height to my flat ceiling portion to 12ft 8 inches and be in the Dolby Atmos parameters for optimal ceiling height for reflective sound? Or I am just grasping at straws here?
I hear you - truth is nobody knows at this time because nobody has tried it yet. So it's all speculation. Yes, it may well work. Only way to be sure is to try it out - if you can get modules with a good return policy someplace for example. Sorry, I realise it's no what you want to hear, but there is just no way to know. Dolby say that up to 14 feet can work pretty good, and you are on the limit of that. Physical on-ceiling or in-ceiling speakers would be a safer bet IMO, but you still have the issue of how they would be impacted by the slope of the ceilings. I might be inclined to go for a x.1.2 setup with just two physical speakers mounted on the flat area.
post #6615 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The front R & L should be a tad more narrow, but within 50cm each side...
Difficult call. Dolby repeatedly say that the speaker placement has more flexibility than we are used to. They told me that in London and it was repeated in the HTG interview with Scott Wilkinson. The big problem right now, for anyone who can't meet the published spec, is that nobody has any hands-on experience with off-spec placement, so nobody can really answer this sort of question. Same problem for toothsaver above.
post #6616 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I hear you - truth is nobody knows at this time because nobody has tried it yet. So it's all speculation. Yes, it may well work. Only way to be sure is to try it out - if you can get modules with a good return policy someplace for example. Sorry, I realise it's no what you want to hear, but there is just no way to know. Dolby say that up to 14 feet can work pretty good, and you are on the limit of that. Physical on-ceiling or in-ceiling speakers would be a safer bet IMO, but you still have the issue of how they would be impacted by the slope of the ceilings. I might be inclined to go for a x.1.2 setup with just two physical speakers mounted on the flat area.
Thanks for your opinion.My insurmountable problem is that I can't physically install any new ceiling speakers.I am stuck using only angled front Dolby Atmos enabled modules and possibly turning my rear (angled in ceiling) surrounds into Dolby Atmos speakers.In your opinion is it worth upgrading to the new Atmos receivers for (hopefully possible Atmos sound) and the new Dolby Surround mode compared to my denon 4311ci? I would really like to thank this forum for their advice on the Atmos question as well as advice that I took on angling my center speaker off my floor(Batpig) .I did this and such an improvement was heard by all of my family with dialog .This is such WORTHWHILE forum,Thanks
SpenceJT likes this.
post #6617 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion.My insurmountable problem is that I can't physically install any new ceiling speakers.I am stuck using only angled front Dolby Atmos enabled modules and possibly turning my rear (angled in ceiling) surrounds into Dolby Atmos speakers.In your opinion is it worth upgrading to the new Atmos receivers for (hopefully possible Atmos sound) and the new Dolby Surround mode compared to my denon 4311ci? I would really like to thank this forum for their advice on the Atmos question as well as advice that I took on angling my center speaker off my floor(Batpig) .I did this and such an improvement was heard by all of my family with dialog .This is such WORTHWHILE forum,Thanks
If I had to give an opinion and was going to be held to it, then I'd have to say "no - don't do it". That is the safest advice from my POV. I say this because your room makes it impossible to comply with Atmos specifications as we currently understand them. New information is scheduled for release tomorrow by Dolby, and this may contain information that is useful to you, as I know that cathedral ceilings are not exactly unknown in the USA.

If I was giving an opinion on a far less stringent basis, I'd say "try it and see". I imagine you will be able to get hold of an Atmos AVR and some Atmos speakers from a supplier with a good returns policy. If so, then you can try it for yourself, in your own room, and see how well it works for you. You may be pleasantly surprised. If not, then you can return the goods within the return window and you won't be substantially out of pocket.

If it were me, and having heard Atmos for the home and knowing how much it adds to the aural experience of a movie, I’d go for the second option above.

If you do, I am sure the thread would greatly welcome you coming back to tell us if it worked, or not. You won't be the only person with this particular type of room.
post #6618 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 3063
Quote:
Can you define "lots" and if they heard the same content? Just curious...

At the immersive sound event at Sony yesterday, I spoke to at least 5 people who heard both the cinema setups, with mostly filmed content (trailers and demos too) and also an Auro demo they had setup in a smaller mixing room... Dolby had no such setup (this was a professional event, not HT.)

Many people liked the Dolby presentation very much in the theater..

Many really liked the Auro demos in the smaller room.. the only comment about it to the negative was that while they shoed off a bit of recorded content using the Auro microphone setup, etc, many thought those production realities of obtaining such material was impractical in a lot of situations...
post #6619 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
I too have benefited from the vast knowledge from this forum I will experiment with the placement of my ceiling speakers once the firmware is released for my 737 for the best results. I'm only going to be doing 5.2.2 only a few more weeks then I'll enjoy height.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #6620 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Can you define "lots" and if they heard the same content? Just curious...

At the immersive sound event at Sony yesterday, I spoke to at least 5 people who heard both the cinema setups, with mostly filmed content (trailers and demos too) and also an Auro demo they had setup in a smaller mixing room... Dolby had no such setup (this was a professional event, not HT.)

Many people liked the Dolby presentation very much in the theater..

Many really liked the Auro demos in the smaller room.. the only comment about it to the negative was that while they shoed off a bit of recorded content using the Auro microphone setup, etc, many thought those production realities of obtaining such material was impractical in a lot of situations...
Lots mean about 5-6 people yesterday during the IFA. I don't know what they heard exactly.
Anyway its not just a question of material but also of setup. Yesterday Onkyo used in ceiling speaker for about 50€ wrongly attached, so presumably even comparison of tbe same material would have sounded miles apart just due to setup! I think one has to wait until a comparison is possible in ones home with exactly the same setup! I don't want to rave too much about Auro here, I just want to prevent people stating it's DOA (like AH with Atmos)!
post #6621 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2231 Post(s)
Liked: 2269
Quote:
In your opinion is it worth upgrading to the new Atmos receivers for (hopefully possible Atmos sound) and the new Dolby Surround mode compared to my denon 4311ci?
As someone who is happily committed to upgrading from my current AVR-3311CI to the AVR-X5200W, I would advise you not to upgrade at this time given your circumstances. The AVR-4311CI is a damn fine piece of equipment and, assuming you have no issues with your unit, should provide just about everything you could reasonably want to drive your 7.1 set-up. The compromising configuration of your room together with your professed inability to mount additional ceiling speakers probably leaves you with only less than desirable solutions for implementing this first generation of Atmos processing (although you might be better able to judge this for yourself when the Dolby white paper comes out this week). Within one or two years I would expect the mainstream AVR/SSP's to provide expanded capabilities and/or competing MDA systems (e.g., DTS-UHD) that may offer you more suitable options.

For me it was a relatively easy decision since I have been wanting an 11CH-capable AVR for almost a year now, and Atmos is just the cherry on top of the sundae.
SpenceJT and bargervais like this.
post #6622 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4595 Post(s)
Liked: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
I visited a local Best Buy Magnolia store last week and asked one of the reps if they were going to setup an Atmos demo and he had no clue what I was talking about. I pointed him to the Best Buy website which provides a page describing Dolby Atmos and also to the pages containing the Atmos receivers and speakers that they are selling. No wonder Best Buy's sales are down.
Best Buy is a joke and always has been. They have hurt the retail brick n mortar A/V model more than they have helped. I hope Dolby doesn't rely on them too heavily. Either that or they need to supervise every single Dolby Atmos demo setup.
ss9001 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #6623 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
A lot of good information there. Details like:

Multiple surround speakers can be used as an array or individual, but that is determined by the soundtrack mixer and AVR capabilities and not only by the speaker configuration.

All Bluray players may or may not be compatible with Atmos. They finessed that by saying that your Bluray player has to meet the full Bluray spec. I guess that means you have to try an Atmos mix on your existing Bluray player to be certain if your player meets the full Bluray spec.

Locating ceiling speakers was discussed.
The only player model I see having a problem is the early fat PS3's that couldn't bitstream anything but basic DTS, Dolby, and PCM. Every other player that I'm aware of has the HDMI chipsets allowing bitstreaming. The key is turning SECONDARY AUDIO to OFF.

If you only have a fat PS3, then it's time to buy another player.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 09-07-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #6624 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked: 5035
Quote:
That's not really how it works. The Atmos recommendations of 8ft ceilings / 14ft max for upfiring mobiles doesn't assume they are on the floor. There is an implicit assumption of them being on top of your speakers so you can't "cheat" any extra height that way.

However since you are already in compromise land you could always experiment (assuming installing more physical speakers up there is a non starter?). For example, you could try mounting the modules on the front wall a few feet above the mains (either directly on wall or on a decorative shelf). That would reduce the effective bounce height, although the reflected beam still has to travel back down to your ears so it still may be more diffuse than ideal.

Or another option is not aiming for the flat part but having them reflect off the front angled part of the ceiling. Doing a little geometry (angle of incidence = angle of reflection) you could probably effectively aim them towards the listening position and be bouncing them off a lower part of the ceiling than the flat part. Considering your listening position is very far back from the display (15ft right?) you might even benefit from the extra angle.
kbarnes701 and UKTexan like this.
post #6625 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. "CeilingMax" ceiling system, with the cavities in the joists above full of duct work and heavily insulated. I'll be "experimenting" by repurposing my formerly stand-mounted bookshelf Axiom Audio M22s. Far from optimal I know, but if it provides "some" improvement, it will suffice until I can fashion a better solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	251090  

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #6626 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
That's not really how it works. The Atmos recommendations of 8ft ceilings / 14ft max for upfiring mobiles doesn't assume they are on the floor. There is an implicit assumption of them being on top of your speakers so you can't "cheat" any extra height that way.

However since you are already in compromise land you could always experiment (assuming installing more physical speakers up there is a non starter?). For example, you could try mounting the modules on the front wall a few feet above the mains (either directly on wall or on a decorative shelf). That would reduce the effective bounce height, although the reflected beam still has to travel back down to your ears so it still may be more diffuse than ideal.

Or another option is not aiming for the flat part but having them reflect off the front angled part of the ceiling. Doing a little geometry (angle of incidence = angle of reflection) you could probably effectively aim them towards the listening position and be bouncing them off a lower part of the ceiling than the flat part. Considering your listening position is very far back from the display (15ft right?) you might even benefit from the extra angle.
Thanks Batpig for your input on my dilemma .Your suggestion of angling up my center channel off the floor after seeing my photos of my (Novice setup) has made quite a discernible audio difference with the dialogue.I attributed my lack of audible clarity to 38 years of hearing a Dental drill!!!In your opinion would it help to use a laser pointer extending from the angled speaker in the Dolby enabled module to see where the sound would reflect off the ceiling?If this would lend some useable info for us ,it would be nice if Atmos speaker companies could have this attached to that angled speaker (Angle that could be adjusted,not fixed) and let the homeowner or installer set the most desired angle that works best in one's ceiling config .Again to adjust for non-optimal ceilings,altering Dolbys recommendations and letting ones ears due the deciding if it is an improvement or not.Again your help and this forums help are invaluable.
post #6627 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 7183 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
I heard lots of raving reviews on their upmixer Auromatic being way superior to Dolby Surround!
Superior only IF you prefer that type of surround processing.

User reports indicate that Auromatic adds reverb that wasn't in the soundtrack, the same way that Yamaha DSP modes do (or the way Audyssey adds early side wall and proscenium reflections based on concert hall acoustics). By comparison, Dolby Surround does its upmixing by extracting info from the soundtrack itself, like how DTS Neo:X and Dolby PLIIz operate.

So, superiority depends on preference: whether you prefer your ambience generated or extracted.
Billybobjimbob likes this.

Sanjay
post #6628 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:
As promised in my previous entry I wanted to prepare a suggestion for speaker types and layout to provide for Atmos as well as Auro3D sound. For everybody who haven't heard Auro 3D so far, writing it off already is a huge mistake IMO and Auro will most likely be available in normal priced gear also soon. Preparing your speakers for both is thus very important to be future proof.

Basis for this guideline were countless hours in this thread as well as talking to different dealers and a long conversation with the Auro engineers during the IFA in Berlin. We looked together at the famous Denon diagram which is in general also valid for Auro so we should use this to start with. Fortubately the 5.x or 7.x bed is the same for Auro and Atmos, so we should only concentrate what is happening at the ceiling.

<snipped>

Conclusion Some clever arrangement and maybe one additional pair of speakers can achieve that your speaker types and layout is at least Atmos and Auro compatible. Now DTS UHD might be another story again...
What does Auro plan to do for those that can't mount ceiling speakers?

Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers (will) allow many of us to enjoy Dolby Atmos and the Dolby Surround Upmixer.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #6629 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Regarding Atmos content from another thread (Today, 07:27 AM PT): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post27209002

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
There will be a bunch of content...

And sooner rather than later....

I believe the press release on the "launch" titles will be out tomorrow.

I had the chance to speak with one of the professional services engineers yesterday (they install and maintain the dub stages, where the content is created...) They are in the middle of almost doubling the amount of Atmos mixing rooms in LA in the next couple of months.... a lot of them for OTT (streaming) content.. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, etc...)

So by your accounts, in a year from now (where md is reporting the new pre/pro will be announced) there will be much more than a "few" things to watch..

I promise you that.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #6630 of 55626 Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Regarding Atmos content from another thread (Today, 07:27 AM PT): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post27209002
I'd much rather have disc content, but that's just me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page