The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24865Likes

post #17011 of 54852 Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert816 View Post
Sad thing was I made a number of trips to Dallas just for Atmos movies before I found out my local theatre had already been converted. Now, thank goodness, I only have a 20 minute drive downtown, but I'll admit the theatre in Dallas was pretty nice!
Hey, as long as you enjoyed yourself that is what counts in my book!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17012 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those with "The Equalizer" and Atmos, does DSU put any of the music that plays on the store PA system in the height/top speakers?
post #17013 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
It sure does. That's exactly where it goes.

I'm noticing dsu less and less. But it's because I have become Acustom to hearing it on. So as as quick test I turned it off and could immediately tell a difference for the worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17014 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

I'm noticing dsu less and less. But it's because I have become Acustom to hearing it on. So as as quick test I turned it off and could immediately tell a difference for the worse.
I guess I'm 2 months plus into running a 7.1.4 setup with my Denon X5200 and DSU and I too have gotten accustomed to it. Initially I would sit in my media/theater room and listen specifically for sound coming from my four ceiling speakers but they're now just there in the sense they're part of the integrated sound stage. I've kind of gotten over trying to identify exactly what sound is coming from which speaker or speakers.

Funny thing was last weekend a couple of neighbors came over to catch part of one of the pro football games. Neither of them have much in the way of even basic surround sound setups much less ATMOS. We weren't in my room 15 minutes before both of them were commenting about "it's like being at a game". Was it DSU alone? Probably not. More likely it really was and is the end result of the whole setup from the 7.1.4 speakers, a beautiful 70" Elite, great signal, comfortable seating, and a bucket of beer.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #17015 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7737 Post(s)
Liked: 7013
Quote:

I have found the same. As you get accustomed to it, you notice it less. That's a good thing really because conscious noticing of where you have speakers located is not a good thing. It means they are drawing attention to themselves. What I find now is that I have stopped trying to identify where sounds are coming from and am just watching and enjoying the movie. I don't apparently have any speakers in my room - all I have is sound, and it sort of floats in space, all around me and all above me, with very good positional localisation of individual sounds when the soundtrack calls for it. It is without doubt the best my room has ever sounded.
randyk47 likes this.
post #17016 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I have found the same. As you get accustomed to it, you notice it less. That's a good thing really because conscious noticing of where you have speakers located is not a good thing. It means they are drawing attention to themselves. What I find now is that I have stopped trying to identify where sounds are coming from and am just watching and enjoying the movie. I don't apparently have any speakers in my room - all I have is sound, and it sort of floats in space, all around me and all above me, with very good positional localisation of individual sounds when the soundtrack calls for it. It is without doubt the best my room has ever sounded.
Exactly!! Personally I don't want every movie or TV show to be like watching and listening to the Dolby ATMOS clips, that would be annoying and distracting after a while. The clips demostrate in an exaggerated way what ATMOS is capable of doing and it's fun to run that for visitors but they are, at least in my mind, a bit of a gimmick and not necessarily the true implementation of ATMOS and DSU.
post #17017 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7737 Post(s)
Liked: 7013
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyk47 View Post
Exactly!! Personally I don't want every movie or TV show to be like watching and listening to the Dolby ATMOS clips, that would be annoying and distracting after a while. The clips demostrate in an exaggerated way what ATMOS is capable of doing and it's fun to run that for visitors but they are, at least in my mind, a bit of a gimmick and not necessarily the true implementation of ATMOS and DSU.
Well they are demo clips after all For me one of the biggest benefits of Atmos is not the overhead effects, as good as they are, but the much more precise location of all the sounds in the whole soundstage. I still marvel at that with the (limited) collection of Atmos blurays I own (soon to be supplemented by TMNT which is in the post).
bargervais likes this.
post #17018 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thank you. So the score that plays after that during the take down scenes stays in the 2D plane or does that get put in the height as well?
post #17019 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I do not understand !

I have a Mediaplayer that will do max 7.1 TrueHD or Master Audio.
But when i play a Atmos demo through the Mediaplayer from a Harddisk, i do get the Atmos logo on my receiver and the Atmos light will turn ON, and indeed specific sounds come from the 4 Atmos speakers.

Now some Mediaplayers will have 4K picture possibilities, du to a different chipset that can handle 1080P and 4K.
But how can a 3 year old 7.1 Mediaplayer handle the extra 4 Atmos channels and nothing changed on the hardware side ?
post #17020 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
I do not understand !

But when i play a Atmos demo through the Mediaplayer from a Harddisk, i do get the Atmos logo on my receiver and the Atmos light will turn ON, and indeed specific sounds come from the 4 Atmos speakers.

Now some Mediaplayers will have 4K picture possibilities, du to a different chipset that can handle 1080P and 4K.
But how can a 3 year old 7.1 Mediaplayer handle the extra 4 Atmos channels and nothing changed on the hardware side ?
Because that was exactly what Dolby intended. The media playback source was always meant to pass the TrueHD signal and the receiver/processor was to identify whether it contains Atmos information.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV
post #17021 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
I do not understand !

It is encoded as part of the bitstream, the player doesn't care about the extra data and just sends it to the AVR.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #17022 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Like many here I have been using Dolby Surround upmixing for all of my content and it has done such a wonderful job on the whole that I don't even realize it anymore. Dolby's upmixing capability produces a near seamless soundfield and I can't identify the original sound mix. It's a win in my book.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV
post #17023 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
So I'm sure you guys saw the DTS:X news the other day... I have a quick question about that. I'm somewhat new to this community... I joined AVS in July, prior to that I was never cognizant of format wars or how they work (I just always thought of surround sound as just that and nothing more prior to learning about HT sound).
My question is this: if DTS & Dolby duke it out... does that mean disc releases will either be "DTS:X" or "Atmos" or could they have both formats? It's a little confusing for me because when browsing my collection I see both "True HD 5.1/7.1" discs & they usually also have "dolby digital" which would indicate to me that a bd could house both formats (though space could be an issue right?) It seems like the dolby digitial is the lesser format on a lot of the more recent BD releases?

If it is the case that both formats are exclusive to certain releases... then I hope Atmos capable AVR's will have the FW upgrade like Auro did.
post #17024 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 381
@Balthazar2k4

DSU is just like Stereo vs Mono in the past, when the Stereo speakers are setup correct you will hear the sound coming from the middle, just like Mono will do.......
But indeed, i share your DSU opinion !

@ Aras_Volodka

think we do not have to worry about getting DTS:X or not, DSU will do a fine job on the Master Audio track.....

Last edited by CBdicX; 01-02-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #17025 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
So I'm sure you guys saw the DTS:X news the other day... I have a quick question about that. I'm somewhat new to this community... I joined AVS in July, prior to that I was never cognizant of format wars or how they work (I just always thought of surround sound as just that and nothing more prior to learning about HT sound).
My question is this: if DTS & Dolby duke it out... does that mean disc releases will either be "DTS:X" or "Atmos" or could they have both formats? It's a little confusing for me because when browsing my collection I see both "True HD 5.1/7.1" discs & they usually also have "dolby digital" which would indicate to me that a bd could house both formats (though space could be an issue right?) It seems like the dolby digitial is the lesser format on a lot of the more recent BD releases?

If it is the case that both formats are exclusive to certain releases... then I hope Atmos capable AVR's will have the FW upgrade like Auro did.
You would most likely get either DTS:X or Atmos on a BD just as you only will get either Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA on a current BD.

Now if you can upgrade your AVR to also support DTS:X using a new firmware is anyones guess. I hope it can be done but nothing has been confirmed yet. Maybe CES next week will shed some light, if not you have to wait until March and the official release.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #17026 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701

Ditto for me! I had family over for New Years Day and played the Atmos demo disc, Transformers and The Maze Runner for them. They were looking all around the room going WOW! They were very impressed with the Atmos and the new DSU. The funniest thing was when my nephew's dog came running in looking around for the bird in the Atmos demo. One nephew wants an Atmos setup for his house.

Ray

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #17027 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
My question is this: if DTS & Dolby duke it out... does that mean disc releases will either be "DTS:X" or "Atmos" or could they have both formats?
Probably one or the other but not both because of disk space issues.
Quote:
It's a little confusing for me because when browsing my collection I see both "True HD 5.1/7.1" discs & they usually also have "dolby digital" which would indicate to me that a bd could house both formats (though space could be an issue right?)
Several encoder labels are on the boxes because they usually use a lossless encoder (either DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD) for the feature movie, but lossy Dolby Digital (at very low bitrates) for the extras where the sound quality doesn't matter as much. Some old Blu-rays have lossy Dolby Digital soundtracks as the default soundtrack (although they also provide a copy of the soundtrack using one of the lossless encoders) because they were created when most people's receivers still couldn't decode the lossless formats. This presumably was to avoid complaints from people who didn't understand that the lossless soundtracks include lossy encodings within them.

Quote:
It seems like the dolby digitial is the lesser format on a lot of the more recent BD releases?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "lesser". Dolby Digital provides somewhat lower quality sound than the lossless formats do, and is limited to a maximum of 5.1 channels, but takes up less space.

Quote:
Even if a disc is released with only a DTS:X soundtrack, it'll still be playable on receivers which can't decode the DTS object format. Similar to Atmos, a DTS:X soundtrack is backward compatible, consisting of a 7.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack plus object metadata. I agree, though, that it'd be greatly appreciated by us early adopters if the DTS:X firmware could be made available for the non-flagship AVRs and pre/pros. We'll just have to wait and see hear.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #17028 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11721 Post(s)
Liked: 9257
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701

Ditto for me! I had family over for New Years Day and played the Atmos demo disc, Transformers and The Maze Runner for them. They were looking all around the room going WOW! They were very impressed with the Atmos and the new DSU. The funniest thing was when my nephew's dog came running in looking around for the bird in the Atmos demo. One nephew wants an Atmos setup for his house.

Ray
Now you are going to be branded the trouble maker.
post #17029 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Even if a disc is released with only a DTS:X soundtrack, it'll still be playable on receivers which can't decode the DTS object format. Similar to Atmos, a DTS:X soundtrack is backward compatible, consisting of a 7.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack plus object metadata. I agree, though, that it'd be greatly appreciated by us early adopters if the DTS:X firmware could be made available for the non-flagship AVRs and pre/pros. We'll just have to wait and see hear.
Ok so my Atmos receiver playing a DTS:X disc will translate the signal into HD 7.1? Or would it be 7.1.4? I'm guessing it would sound different/better on a DTS:X capable receiver as opposed to an Atmos receiver that doesn't have DTS:X?
post #17030 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "lesser". Dolby Digital provides somewhat lower quality sound than the lossless formats do, and is limited to a maximum of 5.1 channels, but takes up less space.
What I meant was which is lossless pretty much.
post #17031 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Ok so my Atmos receiver playing a DTS:X disc will translate the signal into HD 7.1? Or would it be 7.1.4?
The Atmos receiver will detect a 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack. If you have Dolby Surround enabled, Dolby Surround will upmix it to use your overhead speakers.

Quote:
I'm guessing it would sound different/better on a DTS:X capable receiver as opposed to an Atmos receiver that doesn't have DTS:X?
It probably would sound different. Dolby Surround's upmixing algorithm is quite good, but it can't produce the same usage of the overhead speakers that a DTS:X decoder would.

I'm sure that when DTS:X soundtracks become available people will be comparing the sounds produced by the different upmixers to what the decoder produces and arguing over the results.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #17032 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Ok so my Atmos receiver playing a DTS:X disc will translate the signal into HD 7.1? Or would it be 7.1.4? I'm guessing it would sound different/better on a DTS:X capable receiver as opposed to an Atmos receiver that doesn't have DTS:X?
If DTS-X works like Atmos, the "normal" DTS decoder in the receiver will play back the 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track and ignore the object extension files. You can then use Dolby Surround upmixing to create a synthetic 3D track like with any other channel based audio. However, the real decoded object based soundtrack will be superior just like a true Atmos track is preferable to a strictly channel based track upmixed.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #17033 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Atmos receiver will detect a 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack. If you have Dolby Surround enabled, Dolby Surround will upmix it to use your overhead speakers.

It probably would sound different. Dolby Surround's upmixing algorithm is quite good, but it can't produce the same usage of the overhead speakers that a DTS:X decoder would.

I'm sure that when DTS:X soundtracks become available people will be comparing the sounds produced by the different upmixers to what the decoder produces and arguing over the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If DTS-X works like Atmos, the "normal" DTS decoder in the receiver will play back the 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track and ignore the object extension files. You can then use Dolby Surround upmixing to create a synthetic 3D track like with any other channel based audio. However, the real decoded object based soundtrack will be superior just like a true Atmos track is preferable to a strictly channel based track upmixed.
Oh man that's what I was afraid of. I'm a bit of an Atmos junky I've come to realize so it's either 3D sound processing or bust!
post #17034 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Aras, it is not so bad, it is not "bust" !!!
DSU does a good job, maybe you'll get 80 to 90% of the overall quality you would get with native DTS:X

9.2.4 : Panasonic UBD700 / Marantz 7009 + Lexicon CX-7 / Monitor Audio Gold GX (300+center+S12+S6+S6) [bottom 9] + Bose 101 monitors [top 4] / Klipsch R 115 + Sydney AR12 / Epson 9300
post #17035 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3560
/// Maybe.
post #17036 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyk47 View Post
and a bucket of beer.
If the bucket were large enough, a Bose system and a 19 inch CRT TV might have generated the same response
post #17037 of 54852 Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3237
Quote:
I'm a bit of an Atmos junky I've come to realize so it's either 3D sound processing or bust!
Me as well. In fact we listened to/watched the Auro Demo disk running throught DSU. While maybe not as good as had it been played with native Auro, it was still incredible - particularly the organ music.

If you haven't tried it, I recommend you listen to/watch a movie using DSU and turn off all of the speakers but those on the ceiling. Fascinating what gets put there.
pasender91 likes this.
post #17038 of 54852 Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
So unbroken is the new Atmos film this week... but no theaters seem to be playing it. Seems a bit strange, right?
I think the Hobbit is taking up most Atmos-equipped auditoriums right now, and by the time it runs its course, Unbroken probably will not have a chance to get into them because of new inventory coming up, even with a bump from any Oscar nominations it might receive.

We show 11 theaters in the U.S. playing Unbroken in Atmos right now:

http://www.bigscreen.com/advsearch/a...p?movie=167266

That doesn't include theaters that don't provide Atmos indications. Marcus Theatres is good for that, as they just include Atmos as an amenity of their UltraScreen DLX presentations, so you have to go digging for the information to be sure.

Check out the Marcus in Addison, as I think they are playing Unbroken in Atmos:

http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php?theater=1795

You can click on the "Official Web Site" link in the sidebar to be taken to the list of showtimes on the Marcus web site, which currently shows Unbroken as playing in the UltraScreen DLX with Atmos.

Publisher - The BigScreen Cinema Guide
DTS:X Resources | Dolby Atmos Resources
Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas. - Henry Thomas Buckle - historian and author
post #17039 of 54852 Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Ok, so now that we are all gearing up for the release of AVRs equipped with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoders (Maybe Auro-3D as well), I was contemplating building myself a custom 7.2.4 setup in my media room in which the dimensions are (LxWxH) 12x10x8.

I currently have a Yamaha HTiB I purchased from Dell back in 2009 when I didn't really know much about Home Theater audio, it has done fine and I have thoroughly enjoyed what it has offered. Although, now that I understand a lot more than previously, I see now it can't do lossless codecs, and I would rather not be bothered with extra cabling using optical. It is also a 5.1 setup, so I feel by me moving from 5.1 without lossless to 7.2.4 with lossless and better speakers, I will be blown away, figuratively speaking of course lol.

So, here is my predicament... As I stated earlier, I want 7.2.4, but sadly I iust can't justify more than $3,500.00 for the entire operation including the AVR. Assuming that the line of 11ch AVRs that will supply me with both rivals decoding formats (Atmos,X) will be priced around $1.7k-$2.4k like the Onkyo 1030 with pre-outs for 11ch for a bit cheaper, or the flagship 3030. This effectively leaves me with about $1,100-$1,500 for speakers presumably.

I realize that most will tell me that it's better to spend much more on better speakers, but since I've heard more advanced setups now, and am still quite pleased with HTiB components, I feel like that this budget will be good enough for me, besides I don't see me being able to find a 11ch 3D AVR (hopefully with at least one HDCP 2.2, and 4-5 HDMI 2.0 full 18Gbps) for much cheaper than $2,000.

Also, I'll be in the market for a 55-60 inch 4K passive 3D TV later this year for about $2,000. If I spend more than $6,000 this year on AV equipment my wife will destroy my soul haha, which is why I haven't even thought about projection options as I feel for that I would need a dedicated room with good seats, a reasonably priced 4K 3D projector, and a nice AT screen, so it's out of the realm of possibility for me.

Okay, so now that all the background information has been established, I feel it's ok to say that my safe zone is $1,300 (Considering I'm likely to buy the more budget friendly Onkyo AVR when it's released later this year at $1.7k-$2.4k).

I would be extremely grateful if someone would mind helping me piece together 13 speakers; Front Left/Right, Center, Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, x2 Subwoofers, and finally the four overhead speakers (On-Ceiling preferred) to complete the 7.2.4 configuration goal. I have also read that it's best for all speakers to be timbre matched but I'm not too sure on if it just pertains to the top, floor or both sets, I'm sure it can only be a good thing if both LFE speakers are exactly the same haha.

If someone should help me, would it be too bold to ask for accompanying on-ceiling mounts and stands for the floor level speakers as this is the first time any of this will actually mean anything to me, so I'm a bit lost lol.

I've set aside about $400 for the mounts, stands, speaker wire (16 Gauge???) and some longer RCA cables for the subwoofers as I'll have them on each side of the wall at the midway point in the room.

I know the varying degrees of the height speakers; Top Front at 30, 45, and 55 from the MLP and Top Rear at 125, 135, and 150 from the MLP. What I don't know is, does it matter if the speakers are mounted horizontally or vertically? Just trying to get a feel to make sure If I need to remove the ceiling fan or not XD.

The only other pertinent question I can think of would be about the difference between the Onkyo 1030/3030? I obviously grasp that one is 9ch and the latter is 11ch but everything else that I can see seems to be the same. The reason I'm curious is because I see that if I was to purchase the 1030 ($1,600) and one 2ch amp ($125 or so) then I would be able to raise my speaker budget to about $1,700 which can only be a good thing right?

To summarize: I'm looking for someone to help me build a 7.2.4 setup on a budget of $1,300-$1,700 (hopefully depending on the answer to my last question) to accompany an 9-11ch AVR which will run around $2k more than likely and $400 for ceiling mounts, stands, and wires for a total of $4,000 FIRM. Again, $6,000 is what I'll need for the TV included and can't exceed that for fear of losing my soul lol.

In any case, I am sorry for such a long winded post with so many questions but any help I could get would put my mind at ease as this is still all pretty foreign to me.

Thanks,

- Charles
post #17040 of 54852 Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hi Csbooth. I have a theater room just larger than yours. 17x13x8 feet. I wanted to go to smaller speakers because the tower speakers and center channel were eating to much of the room for me. I decided to evict the front three channels for smaller speakers. I built a AT screen. Behind the screen I put some of my older Minimus 77 speakers. The solution for me was perfect. The smaller version of the Minimus 77 speaker is the Minimus 7. You can find these speakers at theEbay web site. I have also bought a few at local pawn shops.

Many people will laugh at these speakers but back decades ago these were the speakers you bought for good sound at a great price if you couldn't afford spending a LOT MORE and getting pretty much the same sound. The Minimus 7 really will need sub woofers to help out in the lower end. So If you want to save money on speakers I would say look at this option. The Minimus 7 have a speaker surround that does not rot. The big brother 77 speakers have a foam surround that does rot and many of them I had to do a foam surround replacement. So to avoid all that work you could just stick with the Minimus 7.

If you are enjoying your HTIB these Minimus speakers will sound better. They were very well designed in the day. Maybe not as good as something at much HIGHER prices but for a small room they are great. I have them running L/C/Rchannels, wide front channels, side surround, back surround and hanging from my ceiling for future Atmos or DTS:X use. Right now I have a pair doing DTS Neo:X hight channel work which will become my top front channel. Another pair will be used as the top back channel when I get a new processor.

I have no problems running my system loud if I want to. I generally keep my levels down for WAF. These speakers can deliver. loud though if needed. Some will say you will blow them to easily. I found it was easier to blow them with 25 watts than to blow them will 120 watts. Its all about the distortion taking out speakers when overdriving an amp. My clean 100 watt amps have not been a problem for these speakers. I don't really know what SPL I can drive them to. Guess I should measure that some day. Whatever levels I do listen at are just fine and I have had no problems.

Video Mitsubishi 3800 onto 108 inch DIY AT screen.
Processor Marantz 5502A
7.4.4 with front wides and no rear surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page