AVS Forum banner

The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) – Check out post 1 first

5M views 69K replies 3K participants last post by  GMil 
#1 · (Edited)
Last update: 02.04.2023

Official Dolby Atmos at home website

Dolby on Atmos for the home
Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
Ceiling-firing speakers ("Atmos-enabled speakers")
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-technology.pdf
Speaker installation guidelines
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
If you're more the visual type of guy here's a good video explaining the basics of placing your Atmos speakers:

Insights from a recording and mixing engineer

Technical specification for studios wishing to employ a 7.1.4 home entertainment Dolby Atmos monitoring setup
Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment Studio
Certification Guide

Blog posts
Dolby Atmos: Coming soon to a living room near you - Lab Notes
Dolby Atmos for home theaters: FAQ - Lab Notes

Dolby Patent Application
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2014036085A1.html

Dolby on Atmos for movie theaters
Wayback Machine

Specifications for movie theaters
Wayback Machine

How Atmos content is created
Wayback Machine

How Atmos is encoded into TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
https://professional.dolby.com/site...on/dolby-atmos/dolby_atmos_renderer_guide.pdf

avsforum.com Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet (at Google Docs, maintained by user kokishin)

Atmos test tone downloads (E-AC-3 audio in .mp4 container)
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

Other Dolby trailer downloads

See less See more
#17,941 ·
i wish atmos would have been though of in the 80s and given to us consumers in the 90s the way Dolby Digital arrived to us. that would have saved us 20+ yrs of stupid in between progress.
Put your surrounds in the ceiling and you get a lot of the same effect.

Not worth it for the Atmos price of admission either, there were some things like jets flying over head, helicopters flying overhead, sandstorm scene & music being sent to the overheads... but otherwise a lot of missed opportunities. Though not as bad as Exodus which had a very dull Atmos track.
It will end up being a lot like 3D movies. The people making the film will have to go out of their way to invent situations that make the technology useful.

#17,942 · (Edited)
Half of Oscar sound nominations go to Dolby Atmos films!

Good news that half of the Oscar sound nominations, announced towards the end of last week, were mixed in Dolby Atmos. Three in the Sound Editing category: American Sniper, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and Unbroken. And two in the Sound Mixing category: American Sniper and Unbroken.

Info on the role Atmos sound plays in Unbroken:

http://vimeo.com/115088528

Especially interesting to hear how they used Atmos to bring the music into the room - not just about overhead effects ©. Some stuff on airplane flyovers as well though!

As American Sniper has received six nominations in all, including one for best picture, it will help the Atmos cause considerably if Best Picture has been mixed in Atmos, ensuring a wide audience for the movie both in theaters and on disc. So fingers crossed for American Sniper. Good to see Clint returning to form too, in his 85th year - the guy is a living legend and has accompanied me on my movie journey almost my entire life.

Dolby Atmos films also received two of the five nominations for best animated feature, with Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 getting nods. Again, the more exposure these movies get as result of Oscar noms/wins, the better it will be for Atmos.

#17,943 ·
rosiedog:
Good news. I followed your instructions and was very successful in creating the Dolby Atmos domos on a USB stick. Played both the regular and the lossless versions through my OPPO 103. The overall system sounded GREAT. I guest that others who are interested in generated a demo USB stick can utilize your procedure.
Once again, Thanks
George
Not sure what happened, I responded to this two days ago, anyway I'll try again.

Excellent, glad it worked. How did it sound, was it worth the effort and money? As usual , I jumped 100% into the Atmos arena, I'm easily lead into the promise of the latest and greatest for HT.
So far I'm not highly impressed but I believe I have a less than ideal setup too. Once its tweaked I'll add my opinions, for now I'm lukewarm at best.

#17,944 ·
my old system is 7.2 now is 7.5.4 whit onkyo tx-nr3030.but its possible for me to put 4 more subwoofers to make 7.8.4,you put wire spleter to ech 4 first subwoofers and you have 4 mores subwoofers,for shure your subwoofer have amplifier Inside.

onkyo tx-nr3030
4 subwoofers 15 inch ikon 500watts
1buttkicker lfe
7 paradigm monitor no9
4 in ceilling Yamaha ns-1c800
my room 11x20x8

#17,945 ·
Those models were always intended to have Atmos, which is why they didn't have Audyssey (to free up DSP resources for Atmos). The only company that shipped with Atmos already inside was Denon/Marantz. The rest (Onkyo/Integra, Pioneer, Yamaha) released Atmos-ready receivers and updated them to Atmos later via firmware. None of these were just "True HD receivers". Doubt it, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
My TX-NR 1030 was shipped with Atmos my TX-NR 737 was a firmware update.

#17,946 ·
Didn't have a theatrical Atmos mix, so it's another movie (like 'Step Up' and 'John Wick') where Lionsgate is doing an Atmos mix specifically for home video. Wish other studios were as enthusiastic.
Lionsgate in my opinion always have the best sound mixes

#17,949 ·
Not sure what happened, I responded to this two days ago, anyway I'll try again.

Excellent, glad it worked. How did it sound, was it worth the effort and money? As usual , I jumped 100% into the Atmos arena, I'm easily lead into the promise of the latest and greatest for HT.
So far I'm not highly impressed but I believe I have a less than ideal setup too. Once its tweaked I'll add my opinions, for now I'm lukewarm at best.
As for the sound, I would say that I was happy with the demos representation of Dolby Atmos. However, the movies that has the Dolby Atmos is not very impressive as I though it would. I am really enjoying the Dolby up-mixing capabilities. I change my AVR every few years, so I did not put much emphasis on the cost. I am a little lucky to have a dedicated theater that I was able to set up as suggested by Dolby, with some minor tweaking to match my taste. Good luck with your setup.

#17,950 ·
I went to see American Sniper in Atmos tonight... meh. It was sort of a ripoff of the hurt locker, I expected a lot more out of Eastwood.
Not worth it for the Atmos price of admission either, there were some things like jets flying over head, helicopters flying overhead, sandstorm scene & music being sent to the overheads... but otherwise a lot of missed opportunities. Though not as bad as Exodus which had a very dull Atmos track.
Considering the content... what else would you need to have up overhead? Sounds by your description to be an ideal Atmos track.

#17,951 · (Edited)
So I have a new Atmos set up and could use some advice about optimal set.

Onkyo 636 with the 5.1.2 with the skh-410 speakers.

So far I get some dimensionality but things dont seem quite optimal.

- I have 10ft flat ceilings. Current I have the atmos speakers sitting on the media console near next to my front speakers.
Is there a more optimal set up I should try?

Apologies is this has been covered before 600 pages is just a lot to read through.
I found that I had to angle my skh-410's and turn up the volume on them to get them to sound half decent. I ended up tilting them towards the MLP by about 2.5inches off the front speakers. My ceilings are only 8ft but my mlp is about 14ft away from front speakers so by tilting them it is bouncing the sound off the ceiling more in the middle of the room.

Not sure if that is making any sense or not??

Let me know if it doesn't and I can try and help further.

#17,952 ·
I found that I had to angle my skh-410's and turn up the volume on them to get them to sound half decent. I ended up tilting them towards the MLP by about 2.5inches off the front speakers. My ceilings are only 8ft but my mlp is about 14ft away from front speakers so by tilting them it is bouncing the sound off the ceiling more in the middle of the room.

Not sure if that is making any sense or not??

Let me know if it doesn't and I can try and help further.
What does MLP mean?
Bit of n00b to audio things.

Also how did you tilt your speakers? Just prop something under them?

#17,953 ·
Is anyone running a 9.1.4 system, utilizing either Front Wide L/R or Top Middle L/R? Is the Atmos engine even capable of this? I am running a Marantz 7009 and have sent a query off to them but haven't had anything back as of yet, the manual is somewhat vague on this point. Conflicting answers have been received at this point. So far I have been told I would have to choose which overheads to use as 7.1.4 is the maximum, but those who have told me that haven't tried it either.

#17,954 ·
What does MLP mean?
Bit of n00b to audio things.

Also how did you tilt your speakers? Just prop something under them?
MLP is Main Listening Position eg. my couch.

I at first tilted the speakers by putting felt pads under the back of them. Or you could use cardboard or anything to support the back of the speaker. I spent several hours testing them at various tilt heights and volume levels until I found what sounded best in my room by unplugging my other speakers and just playing the skh-410's. I didn't plug them into the front speakers as some have suggested, that does seem like a good idea, not sure if that would have helped my or not.

I then built a wedge out of 2x6 wood that better supports the speakers at the 2.5inch tilt that I liked.

#17,955 ·
Is anyone running a 9.1.4 system, utilizing either Front Wide L/R or Top Middle L/R? Is the Atmos engine even capable of this? I am running a Marantz 7009 and have sent a query off to them but haven't had anything back as of yet, the manual is somewhat vague on this point. Conflicting answers have been received at this point. So far I have been told I would have to choose which overheads to use as 7.1.4 is the maximum, but those who have told me that haven't tried it either.
Although the SR7009 can connect up to 13 speakers, only 11 can be operated at one time so when using 4 Height speakers it can only operate 11-4=7 floor speakers in a 7.1.4 Atmos configuration.

#17,956 ·

It will end up being a lot like 3D movies. The people making the film will have to go out of their way to invent situations that make the technology useful.
Let's face it atmos is more then overhead sounds it's more an immersion in a bubble of sound... 3D movies had their gimmicky effects with arrows flying out of the screen poking you in the eye 3D is not about that it's the visual depth that's the key to 3D movies.. the same thing will evolve with Atmos it's the total immersion and then the attention of overhead sound that we all want to hear will only be a part. So let's put away our step ladders with our ears to the speaker's to see what's going on up there. Let's Sit back and enjoy what we are watching in the bubble of sound atmos brings.

#17,957 ·
Although the SR7009 can connect up to 13 speakers, only 11 can be operated at one time so when using 4 Height speakers it can only operate 11-4=7 floor speakers in a 7.1.4 Atmos configuration.
Even utilizing an external amp?

#17,958 ·
That won't work because sounds intended to come from around you will instead come from overhead. Atmos has separate content around you vs above you. Can't get the "same effect" by placing your surrounds overhead.
The world is already 3D. That situation didn't have to be invented for 3D movies. Likewise no need to invent situations for Atmos since we already hear sounds above us in real life.

#17,959 ·
Should you want to quote me then please do it in context. What I said was, "you'll get a lot of the same effect". By quoting me as the "same effect" you're portrayed me as saying something completely different. Had you read the thread you'd clearly see that I know what Atmos does. Fail. Try again.

While yes, the world is already 3d, you might want to do some reading about changes that film makers made when 3D came into fashion a few years ago. They intentionally shot scenes in ways that would play into 3D. It's hard to have people pay an extra few to several dollars if they're not wowed at some point.

#17,960 · (Edited)
Well, screw DTS:X. Got tired of waiting, so i tried something else.
Frustrated about the 7.1.4 limit of speaker in Atmos?
Don't want the hassle of 8min config loads to get both Atmos/Auro full setups?
Can't afford the overly expensive Trinnov or Datasat?

Well, i found a way to get 9.1.6 native Atmos and 12.1 Auro 3D with 1 setup!

How?
Well, as you know, i have my Denon 5200, connected to 14 speakers, and it is setup with full 10.1 Auro:
5.1+FH+SH+TS(VOG).
Press the movie remote button and the 9.1.2 Atmos is selected:
5.1+FW+SB+FH.
Ok, since i got over a grand for my old Onkyo 3010 receiver, i used the money to buy a second Denon, this time the little brother: 4100.
So, connected some of the 5200's speakers and some new to get it calibrated, this has amp assign as follows:

Amp Assign: 9.1
Height Speakers: 4 height speakers
Height Layout: Top Middle+Rear Height
Pre-out: Front and rear height

The two receivers are connected using a HDMI from the Zone2 HDMI out from the 5200, that send full image and sound, by the way, to one of the HDMI input on the 4100.

I do not have fronts connected to the 4100, but the 4 ceiling seakers make the new native Atmos setup a full 9.1.6 :
5.1+FW+SB+FH(as before from the 5200) +TM+RH(from the 4100).

The 5200:

The 4100:

Movie button again switch to the full 10.1 Auro setup from the 5200 and with a dual source speaker switch for the Surround backs between 5200/4100 , and i gain the SB from the 4100 on the Auro setup= 12.1.

But wait, there's more. The following are connected to the 4100, eq'd and separatly calibrated from the 5200' speakers.
Side Surround B. Since the 4100 have empty surround speaker post, why not use them with a second set surround speakers placed at ca 80 degrees(surround A at 110 degrees).
Center Height. Same here, empty center speakers posts, so connected another center speaker high on the front wall.

And remember the pesky use of sub pre-out 2 for the Top Surround in Auro 10.1 setup?
Well, the 4100 has 2 brand new seperatly calibrated sub pre-outs available!

Actually, with a second dual source speaker switch, i can use the Atmos RH as SBH in Auro, since the SBH is ganged in SH anyway in Auro 15.1 setup.

So, one could say the following:

Atmos: 5.1+SB+S2+FW+FH+TM+RH+CH=11.1.7

Auro 3D:
5.1+SB+S2+FH+SH+SBH+TS+CH= 17.1

It works!! The lip sync is spot on, and espesially the 6 ceiling speakers really woke up the "spaceious" feeling, and i believe the 4100 will be staying :)

A couple of glitches though, but nothing major, ex. two volum buttons etc. but i can live with them.

Attachments