The Official Onkyo TX-NR535/636/737/838 Thread. - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #1231 of 1735 Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux View Post
You spent too much on a refurbished (I assume, since it's Woot) 838, then you ask if you made a smart choice? You peobably should have read through this thread beforehand...
I really wish there was a way I could get back the 15 seconds I wasted reading your uninformed and factually inaccurate comment. If you were informed, you would know that Woot is actually an authorized online dealer of Onkyo products and furthermore, the words "brand new" don't leave much for interpretation.

As far as the reviews of the TX-NR838 in this thread, there are many positive, negative, and neutral comments about this unit. What could I possibly have been thinking to ask if some one else on this earth may have purchased a TX-SR805 back in 2007 and enjoyed it for the same 8 years as I did and decided that the TX-NR838 was a worthy upgrade?!?!. Based on the contents of your comment, you probably own neither of these units so move along and maybe spend some time doing some research before posting.

It is comments like yours that make these forums less useful for people that are actually looking for good information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1735 Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgesmlls View Post
I really wish there was a way I could get back the 15 seconds I wasted reading your uninformed and factually inaccurate comment. If you were informed, you would know that Woot is actually an authorized online dealer of Onkyo products and furthermore, the words "brand new" don't leave much for interpretation.

As far as the reviews of the TX-NR838 in this thread, there are many positive, negative, and neutral comments about this unit. What could I possibly have been thinking to ask if some one else on this earth may have purchased a TX-SR805 back in 2007 and enjoyed it for the same 8 years as I did and decided that the TX-NR838 was a worthy upgrade?!?!. Based on the contents of your comment, you probably own neither of these units so move along and maybe spend some time doing some research before posting.

It is comments like yours that make these forums less useful for people that are actually looking for good information.
Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?
post #1233 of 1735 Old 06-15-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looking at an 838 to replace a 707 that's starting to have "no sound" issues. Are the newer units having any "known" issues? At work at the moment so I'll try and read through the whole thread this evening. Just hoping someone can give me the "Cliffnotes" version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1735 Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi AVSForum folks....

My father purchased a new TX-NR737 and I'm helping him get it integrated into his setup at his home.

He also has a new Samsung Smart HU8500 UHD TV, and connected to the television is the Samsung "One Connect Mini" box. From there, we have an HDMI cable (latest standards cable) hooked up to the HDMI out/ARC port on the Onkyo receiver.

In HDMI #2 , we have his Comcast DVR connected.

When we turn on the TV, the DVR, the receiver...everything works. The television shows the DVR picture and we hear audio through the receiver speakers.

However, the problems start after we turn everything off. After we power down the TV, receiver and DVR, and then power it all back on, the Onkyo receiver no longer functions correctly. We see the Onkyo boot logo, but following that get a solid blue screen. The receiver will let us bring up its menu, but we're not able to get a picture or sound with the DVR powered on - solid blue screen doesn't go away.

We did find that unplugging the HDMI cable, plugging it back in, and power cycling again, would fix the issue - until the next time we turned it off and back on. The issue isn't the cable...we've had the same results using 3 different cables - all of different brands.

We currently have the DVR hooked up directly to the Samsung One Connect box, to bypass the issue we have with the receiver.

Do we have a defective receiver? Anyone else experienced something similar?

-Mike

Last edited by ratlhead; 06-15-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Email notifications
post #1235 of 1735 Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlhead View Post
In HDMI #2 , we have his Comcast DVR connected.
Does the same behavior happen with the Comcast DVR connected to HDMI 3? According to the TX-NR737 specifications:

4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
  • HDCP 2.2 copy-protection compatibility for future 4K broadcast and streaming content (HDMI 3 input and main output only)
post #1236 of 1735 Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Does the same behavior happen with the Comcast DVR connected to HDMI 3? According to the TX-NR737 specifications:

4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
  • HDCP 2.2 copy-protection compatibility for future 4K broadcast and streaming content (HDMI 3 input and main output only)
I didn't try HDMI 3, as HDMI 2 is labeled for CBL/SAT.... HDMI 3 is labeled for a set top box/DVR too...figured both are the same? I don't see anything saying different...

I can give that a shot and see if that fixes the problem, but given my scenario where it works the first time, and not after...I'd be surprised this is the issue. Appreciate the response man!

post #1237 of 1735 Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 AM

Liked: 13
TX-NR636 audio sync problem

I have the TX-nr636 receiver.
My TV is the LG 65LA9700. 4k 3d HDMI 2.0.
My bluray player is the LG BP730. 4k upscale and 3d. (not hdmi 2.0)
I have an audio sync problem when I play a 3D movie such as AVATAR.
It is in sync when I play it when the TX-NR636 is not on.
But is out of sync when the receiver is on.
I have tried it with tv sync option is off. I have tried it with the
receiver switch in off. And all the different sync switch combinations.
(Tv switch on, receiver switch off. TV switch off, receiver switch on.
both on, and both off)
I have tried digital optical audio cables in all the various combinations
possible.
I have replaced all HDMI cables.
I sent the LG bluray player back to LG to see if they can find a problem.
But it works fine.
I have upgraded the firmware on all the devices. But the problem
still exists.
Again, the sync problem only happens playing a 3D bluray movie
when the TX-NR636 is on.
What is the problem?
Should I buy the new ONKYO TX-NR646?
It seems to be a problem with the TX-NR636 since it is only out of sync
when the receiver is on, and when playing a bluray 3D movie.
Any suggestions?

ONKYO RECEIVER TX-NR636
[LEFT]LG OLED 65E8PUE, LG UP870
DIRECTV HR34-700
[LEFT NVIDIA SHIELD TV
MONSTER HTD 5100 10-OUTLET POWER CENTER
post #1238 of 1735 Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPWorld View Post
I have the TX-nr636 receiver.
My TV is the LG 65LA9700. 4k 3d HDMI 2.0.
My bluray player is the LG BP730. 4k upscale and 3d. (not hdmi 2.0)
I have an audio sync problem when I play a 3D movie such as AVATAR.
It is in sync when I play it when the TX-NR636 is not on.
But is out of sync when the receiver is on.
I have tried it with tv sync option is off. I have tried it with the
receiver switch in off. And all the different sync switch combinations.
(Tv switch on, receiver switch off. TV switch off, receiver switch on.
both on, and both off)
I have tried digital optical audio cables in all the various combinations
possible.
I have replaced all HDMI cables.
I sent the LG bluray player back to LG to see if they can find a problem.
But it works fine.
I have upgraded the firmware on all the devices. But the problem
still exists.
Again, the sync problem only happens playing a 3D bluray movie
when the TX-NR636 is on.
What is the problem?
Should I buy the new ONKYO TX-NR646?
It seems to be a problem with the TX-NR636 since it is only out of sync
when the receiver is on, and when playing a bluray 3D movie.
Any suggestions?
Have you disabled all audio processing on TV, receiver, and bluray? You know the 636 has an audio delay setting that you can specify the time delay. That's what I did, I have the same setup as you, save for a different bluray player.
post #1239 of 1735 Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 AM

Audio sync Problem

Quote:
Have you disabled all audio processing on TV, receiver, and bluray? You know the 636 has an audio delay setting that you can specify the time delay. That's what I did, I have the same setup as you, save for a different bluray player.
I didn't know that. Please tell me where to find
that setting on the 636...Thanks

ONKYO RECEIVER TX-NR636
DIRECTV HR34-700
[LEFT NVIDIA SHIELD TV
post #1240 of 1735 Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPWorld View Post
I didn't know that. Please tell me where to find
that setting on the 636...Thanks
I'm not at home, so can't check. However, it's definitely in the manual, under something like audio sync or audio delay. It's real time, so you can adjust while watching until it's perfectly synced.
post #1241 of 1735 Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, new user here. I used to have a TX-NR616 that I traded in using the customer service cashback program. I replaced it with a 535 because I don't need composite video support anymore.

The issue I'm having is that 23.976/24p content is jerking horribly. This used to be the case on my 616 as well until a firmware fix solved it. I notice others have been running into this as well on the more expensive models (636/737) and I was wondering if any of you have a solution. I'd prefer not to connect my mediaplayer directly to the TV, but I'm not sure there's any other fix right now?
post #1242 of 1735 Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not at home, so can't check. However, it's definitely in the manual, under something like audio sync or audio delay. It's real time, so you can adjust while watching until it's perfectly synced.
its on the remote.....Q setup button....thanks
Cramer86 likes this.

ONKYO RECEIVER TX-NR636
DIRECTV HR34-700
[LEFT NVIDIA SHIELD TV
post #1243 of 1735 Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Liked: 1
Question regarding hdmi output in onkyo 737, My main tv is connected to hdmi output MAIN, and my pc monitor is connected to hdmi output SUB. My question is, Is it possible to view 2 different content on both outputs at the same time? for example playstation 4 on main tv (main output) and pc on monitor (sub output), Also, Does suboutput increase input lag even if it's set as hdmi passthrough?
labman1 likes this.

Last edited by Bigalka; 06-19-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #1244 of 1735 Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22859 Post(s)
Liked: 12495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigalka View Post
Question regarding hdmi output in onkyo 737, My main tv is connected to hdmi output MAIN, and my pc monitor is connected to hdmi output SUB. My question is, Is it possible to view 2 different content on both outputs at the same time? for example playstation 4 on main tv (main output) and pc on monitor (sub output), Also, Does suboutput increase input lag even if it's set as hdmi passthrough?
No, rather you'd have to step up to the 838 for that feature.
post #1245 of 1735 Old 06-20-2015, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_logitech View Post
I found a solution to my problem. I do not actually use CEC as its normally intended and only have it enabled to allow the ARC to work. I ran across some articles regarding the CEC pin on the HDMI cabling causing conflicts. I was able to remove the CEC Pin 13 from one end of the Set Top Box HDMI cable & now everything works perfectly and I am happy. I used a sewing needle to push the pin in and out and then wiggle it until it broke off. I do not recommend needle nose pliers as it could damage other pins.Precision is key.
http://www.hdmi.org/installers/insidehdmicable.aspx provides a visual of the CEC pin (top row, 4th from the right)
Hope this helps others.

Thanks Chris. I have since plugged the Apple TV back in and all is well. I did try plugging the Panasonic DVD/VHS back in and I immediately lost ARC capability. So, I found the culprit. I imagine that I can do without that player from now on.

Gene
post #1246 of 1735 Old 06-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrahertz View Post
I have an Onkyo 838 connected to a Samsung HU9000 television. I switch an OPPO103, an Apple TV, an XBOX one, and a Comcast Cable box on the HDMI inputs.

I have noticed that a get brief video droupouts where the screen goes black for 1 second or less. The frequency of the dropouts is about one per hour. I have noticed dropouts from the Oppo, the Comcast STB, and the Apple TV. The sound from the AVR does not dropout when the screen goes blank.

I have turned off "deep color". The dropouts happen on 1080p24, 1080i60, 1080p60, and even720p60. My only 4K source is a Sony 4K camcorder, and 2160p30 looks fine run through Onkyo to the TV (but I only have viewed 10-15 minutes at a time from that source, so I may have missed the dropouts).

I have run about a 4-5 meter AVR to TV HDMI cable buried in the wall, so I may have some drywall work if the cable is the problem. I've tried a Gefen HDMI booster/conditioner with no improvement. I am in the process of buying another high speed HDMI cable to run outside the wall and test. I do have some unused Cat5e cables running the same path so perhaps I might try running HD Base T. If the new cable doesn't help, I'll try cutting the Onkyo out and running the oppo/stb directly.

The fact that the dropouts happen at some lower resolutions and that the conditioner did nothing makes me concerned that is a problem with the 838 (granted this is not definitive and I'll post back the result of the cable/source swap diagnostics later as I get the results).

Have any of the forum member have had similar problems that did indeed turn out to be due to a problem with the Onkyo 838 (or similar)? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I also get the same problm with my onkyo 737, i get a brief video dropout and the screen going black for a second or 2, It happens quite often but on my pc monitor which is connected to the onkyo 737 via HDMI out SUB not the main.
post #1247 of 1735 Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Also while the screen is blacking out, the HDMI symbol on the receiver blinks.
post #1248 of 1735 Old 06-22-2015, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrahertz View Post
I have an Onkyo 838 connected to a Samsung HU9000 television. I switch an OPPO103, an Apple TV, an XBOX one, and a Comcast Cable box on the HDMI inputs.

I have noticed that a get brief video droupouts where the screen goes black for 1 second or less. The frequency of the dropouts is about one per hour. I have noticed dropouts from the Oppo, the Comcast STB, and the Apple TV. The sound from the AVR does not dropout when the screen goes blank.

I have turned off "deep color". The dropouts happen on 1080p24, 1080i60, 1080p60, and even720p60. My only 4K source is a Sony 4K camcorder, and 2160p30 looks fine run through Onkyo to the TV (but I only have viewed 10-15 minutes at a time from that source, so I may have missed the dropouts).

I have run about a 4-5 meter AVR to TV HDMI cable buried in the wall, so I may have some drywall work if the cable is the problem. I've tried a Gefen HDMI booster/conditioner with no improvement. I am in the process of buying another high speed HDMI cable to run outside the wall and test. I do have some unused Cat5e cables running the same path so perhaps I might try running HD Base T. If the new cable doesn't help, I'll try cutting the Onkyo out and running the oppo/stb directly.

The fact that the dropouts happen at some lower resolutions and that the conditioner did nothing makes me concerned that is a problem with the 838 (granted this is not definitive and I'll post back the result of the cable/source swap diagnostics later as I get the results).

Have any of the forum member have had similar problems that did indeed turn out to be due to a problem with the Onkyo 838 (or similar)? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I replaced the no-name HDMI cable with a Blue Jeans HDMI cable and the dropouts have not re-appeared for a few weeks now. Cross my fingers. I need to figure out how to get the new cable fully in the wall with minimal or no drywall work. At least I've got a great picture now all the time!
post #1249 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The 838 is Amazon's deal of the day for $599. I believe the 636 is $349 as well.

Think I might pick up an 838.
iatacs19 likes this.

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker

Last edited by moepoker; 06-23-2015 at 10:11 AM.
post #1250 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 175
For the TX-NR636 is there a way to enable Relative Volume Display vs the Absolute Volume? I like having the 0db THX as the reference point.

OLED65C9PUA, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, SVS SB12-NSD, RC-52 II, RB-41 II, KEF E301, BDI 8179
post #1251 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 AM

I just bought a TX-NR535 and attempted to update the firmware via USB. I downloaded the appropriate zip file from the Onkyo support site, unzipped the files, and copied them onto a blank thumbdrive. There were 5 extracted files with no folders. Some updates apparently have a folder along with the files. I plug the thumbdrive into the receiver and go into USB mode. It initializes and recognizes the thumbdrive, but displays a message saying there is nothing on the volume. I've tried 2 different manufacturer thumbdrives, a 4 GB and a 16 GB. I'm trying to update to version: 1081-0110-0000 from TX-NR535 Firmware Link I have not tried a soft reset or factory reset. I've seen other threads where users have the same problem with Onkyo receivers. Any help is welcome.
post #1252 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
Did have a good look for a thread on these receivers but couldn't find one.

I picked up a 636 on Monday after I learned denon didn't know if any of the hdmi ports had hdcp 2.2. So glad I picked up a receiver with one port.

Have yet to use mine as I'm waiting on the Kef Q series speakers which will be here tomorrow.

I'm happy with the spec to go with my TV a LG 55La9700 4k. I have a small room so time will tell if the ACCUEQ will be fine for what I need.

Whilst I hope Onkyo aren't cutting corners with adding their own EQ simply as a profit making scheme. I get the feeling it's a nessesary evil with at least the lower end models to provide features such as 4 2.0 hdmi ports and hdcp 2.2

I for one appreciate at least onkyo giving full spec which Is the reason I picked this receiver over any other. As I can compromise certain software based features like the EQs in favour of better and more future compatible hardware.
Just received an email from Amazon, they have the 838 in their gold box, wondering if 848 may be around the corner?

Last edited by jleroy68; 06-23-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Correction
post #1253 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moepoker View Post
The 838 is Amazon's deal of the day for $599. I believe the 636 is $349 as well.

Think I might pick up an 838.

I saw this as well and was wondering how the 838 compares to the 646. The 838 doesn't have the new stuff that the 646 has/will have (Airplay, DTS:X) but it does have a higher rated output, preamps on all 7 channels, and THX certification. I'm not sure about full-bandwidth HDMI 2.0, though (18 Gbps). I'm pretty sure that the 2014 models all have the 10 Gbps HDMI connections but didn't see any mention of this in the product description.

Any thoughts?
post #1254 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleroy68 View Post
Just received an email from Amazon, they have the 838 in their gold box, wondering if 848 may be around the corner?

Yes they have been announced already:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/pro...class=Receiver

TX-RZ800 and TX-RZ900

OLED65C9PUA, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, SVS SB12-NSD, RC-52 II, RB-41 II, KEF E301, BDI 8179
post #1255 of 1735 Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Can the 838 do true 4:4:4 color?

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #1256 of 1735 Old 06-24-2015, 06:05 AM

Forced Firmware Update via USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy91 View Post
I just bought a TX-NR535 and attempted to update the firmware via USB. I downloaded the appropriate zip file from the Onkyo support site, unzipped the files, and copied them onto a blank thumbdrive. There were 5 extracted files with no folders. Some updates apparently have a folder along with the files. I plug the thumbdrive into the receiver and go into USB mode. It initializes and recognizes the thumbdrive, but displays a message saying there is nothing on the volume. I've tried 2 different manufacturer thumbdrives, a 4 GB and a 16 GB. I'm trying to update to version: 1081-0110-0000 from TX-NR535 Firmware Link I have not tried a soft reset or factory reset. I've seen other threads where users have the same problem with Onkyo receivers. Any help is welcome.
I finally got the firmware updated to the latest by performing a FORCED UPDATE by pressing and holding the USB and ON/STANDBY buttons on the front panel until you will see the message [ENTER] UPDATE on the display window. Press the ENTER button to commence the firmware update.
post #1257 of 1735 Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm kicking myself now for not buying the Amazon Deal of the Day on the TX-NR838, anyone else know if these will get discounted more eventually?
post #1258 of 1735 Old 06-24-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advan24r View Post
I'm kicking myself now for not buying the Amazon Deal of the Day on the TX-NR838, anyone else know if these will get discounted more eventually?
They are being discontinued and will become more scarce to find.

post #1259 of 1735 Old 06-27-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey guys
I purchase a 535 three weeks ago and when i hit the Pure audio (audio optimizer for some) I guess I heard a "click" on the receive each time and the music was powerfull. I went back home these days and i dont here the "click" anymore and sound is not powerfull. The most powerfull sound i have is with stereo mode.

Anyway, Am I mistaken with the setups or is this supposed to be like that?
do you guys hear a "click" when pressing that pure audio button? I dont hink its broken since i used it only 4, or 5 hours until yesterday...
post #1260 of 1735 Old 06-27-2015, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I just did this same thing. I sold my 805 last month and bought the 838 from Woot via Amazon. I havent had a chance to hook it all up because I am moving and wont be in my new place until the middle of next month. It has everything that I want and for the price I couldnt pass it up. I say good choice and I will be back in here and post my review.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
55La9700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page