The Official Onkyo TX-NR535/636/737/838 Thread. - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #1261 of 1735 Old 06-29-2015, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
I just did this same thing. I sold my 805 last month and bought the 838 from Woot via Amazon. I havent had a chance to hook it all up because I am moving and wont be in my new place until the middle of next month. It has everything that I want and for the price I couldnt pass it up. I say good choice and I will be back in here and post my review.

I did as well. Already received it but am not going to hook it up until I move into my new house in Oct. Just seemed like too good a deal to pass up, based on the reviews I have read. I will be getting the ceiling pre-wired for .2 for Atmos. I am looking into the Aperion Audio Intimus for speakers but still on the fence display-wise.

Please do post a review; I will be interested in reading about your experience with this unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1735 Old 07-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got my 838 all hooked up, height speakers and all to give me 5.1.2. Pick up some atmos blu rays today and all Im getting is 5.1 on the input of the 838. It says its output is 5.1.2 in dolby surround mode, but I don't think its atmos.
Also on directv its saying I have 5.1 input and output is also 5.1 yet im only hearing the front three speakers, That was watching John Wick.
I just have HDMI form my device's, will optical fix this? Thanks!!
post #1263 of 1735 Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 View Post
So I got my 838 all hooked up, height speakers and all to give me 5.1.2. Pick up some atmos blu rays today and all Im getting is 5.1 on the input of the 838. It says its output is 5.1.2 in dolby surround mode, but I don't think its atmos.
Also on directv its saying I have 5.1 input and output is also 5.1 yet im only hearing the front three speakers, That was watching John Wick.
I just have HDMI form my device's, will optical fix this? Thanks!!
It needed the update, can only do it via usb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1735 Old 07-05-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone identify the problem I'm having based on this video? Only a month old, the 636. Ignore the audio, it's from an iPhone in the room.

http://youtu.be/x-xpDhBNlSo
post #1265 of 1735 Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Well, my 838 took a dump over the weekend. Shut down Saturday night, thought it was the thermal protection kicking in...not so much. It was extremely hot to the touch, I've had it since July 2014, have never felt it so hot since I purchased it. Actually stays relatively cool as compared to other AVR's I've owned in the past.

Anyway, so it shuts down, feels extremely hot.... l left it off and unplugged for 45 min with a fan blowing on it. Plugged it back in, repeatedly just shuts off after powering on. So I check the owners manual for troubleshooting ideas, try resetting by holding the power button and the tv/dvr simultaneously. I see "clear" pop up on the display and think to myself progress is being made... So I hit the power button, as soon as I do I hear a loud pop, see a bright flash under the AVR and a cloud billows out the top... Very fitting considering it was the 4th of July, just not the display I was expecting to see

Fortunately, I have an Onkyo repair center located 10 miles from my house. So I dropped her off today and should hear something back in the next couple of days, usual turn around is 7-10 days according to the rep.

Thinking it was a faulty power supply, guess we'll see!!! Just hope it was contained there and didn't fry anything else

Sent from my SM-N915T
post #1266 of 1735 Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Well, my 838 took a dump over the weekend. Shut down Saturday night, thought it was the thermal protection kicking in...not so much. It was extremely hot to the touch, I've had it since July 2014, have never felt it so hot since I purchased it. Actually stays relatively cool as compared to other AVR's I've owned in the past.

Anyway, so it shuts down, feels extremely hot.... l left it off and unplugged for 45 min with a fan blowing on it. Plugged it back in, repeatedly just shuts off after powering on. So I check the owners manual for troubleshooting ideas, try resetting by holding the power button and the tv/dvr simultaneously. I see "clear" pop up on the display and think to myself progress is being made... So I hit the power button, as soon as I do I hear a loud pop, see a bright flash under the AVR and a cloud billows out the top... Very fitting considering it was the 4th of July, just not the display I was expecting to see

Fortunately, I have an Onkyo repair center located 10 miles from my house. So I dropped her off today and should hear something back in the next couple of days, usual turn around is 7-10 days according to the rep.

Thinking it was a faulty power supply, guess we'll see!!! Just hope it was contained there and didn't fry anything else

Sent from my SM-N915T
Let me know when you get yours back. Mine has been in repair going on two weeks now.

-ResonantEcho

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevin.l.bass
post #1267 of 1735 Old 07-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
Let me know when you get yours back. Mine has been in repair going on two weeks now.
Yeah, nothing yet (where's your's?)...My repair center is in Syracuse, NY. .I was relived there was one local and I didn't have to ship it somewhere ...

Also happy I never decided to sell my Pioneer SC-27 .... So no real downtime, just a bigger PIA running my Sony X10 4K media player due to HDCP 2.2 requirements ...

Sent from my SM-N915T

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-09-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #1268 of 1735 Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Yeah, nothing yet (where's your's?)...My repair center is in Syracuse, NY. .I was relived there was one local and I didn't have to ship it somewhere ...

Also happy I never decided to sell my Pioneer SC-27 .... So no real downtime, just a bigger PIA running my Sony X10 4K media player due to HDCP 2.2 requirements ...

Sent from my SM-N915T
Mine is in a repair center in Plano, Texas (which is about 35 miles from me). I sent them a few emails last week to check on the progress, but didn't hear back. I'll be calling them first thing next week.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR808 in the closet, but decided I'd just wait until I get my 838 back to hook everything back up. Didn't want to have to do it twice.

-ResonantEcho

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevin.l.bass
post #1269 of 1735 Old 07-12-2015, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Real World Power Per Channel?

Hey i got a 737, Love it, but was wondering whats the "Real World Power Per Channel" for 8 ohm speakers would be? and how i could work this out for myself.

Thanks All
post #1270 of 1735 Old 07-12-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22913 Post(s)
Liked: 12535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karami View Post
Hey i got a 737, Love it, but was wondering whats the "Real World Power Per Channel" for 8 ohm speakers would be? and how i could work this out for myself.

Thanks All
Likel 110W into 2CH, 85W into 5CH, and 65W into 7CH
post #1271 of 1735 Old 07-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Likel 110W into 2CH, 85W into 5CH, and 65W into 7CH
thanks jdsmoothie, may i ask how you worked that out? Do you use tools?
post #1272 of 1735 Old 07-13-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
X-post:

Anyone running a PS3 to a TX-NR636 (or others), and having any issues?

I've done a lot of research and tried a lot of things. I think I may have a bad HDMI board, as switching ports made the issue slightly better, but still not fixed. I had it on HDMI 6 and 5 before and the signal would cut out so often and badly that it was completely unusable. Moving it to the Game port seemed to help substantially.

Essentially the picture/sound will drop out periodically and the receiver will perform a new handshake. Real pain while gaming. At first I'd get "snow" on the screen and the image would drop in and out, and I'd get all kinds of crackles through the speakers. Turning off Deep Color on the PS3 seemed to help a lot, and trying other combinations like turning off Super White and Full RGB maybe helped a little. Also tried changing Bitstream to LPCM, which didn't seem to make any difference (although others have reported this fixed the issue for them).

I have the PS3 going through a powered switch to the Onkyo, passthrough to an LG 65UB9500. I had the exact same setup with a Pioneer VSX-33 in place of the Onkyo before and had zero issues. Literally just unplugged the Pioneer and plugged in the Onkyo without changing the setup at all.

I have a new set of cables on the way and an HDMI tester, in case there's some issue in the chain that the Pioneer was more tolerant of that the Onkyo doesn't like. Any other suggestions besides this, or has anyone else experienced and solved similar issues?
post #1273 of 1735 Old 07-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivad View Post
X-post:
Essentially the picture/sound will drop out periodically and the receiver will perform a new handshake. Real pain while gaming. At first I'd get "snow" on the screen and the image would drop in and out, and I'd get all kinds of crackles through the speakers.
I have a similar issue. I occasionally get multi-colored snow for a fraction of a second or a totally silent black screen for 2 to 5 seconds. These mostly occur when the bathroom or basement lightswitches are flipped or the furnace kicks on. Recently, I've begun getting an intermittent audio crackling through the playstation on the menu screen that is unrelated to the lightswitch issues.

In my case, I believe that the problem is NOT the Onkyo 636. I had similar issues for years with an entirely different setup (pre-HDMI Onkyo receiver from the 1990's for audio, with Tivo/PS3 HDMI passing directly to Epson projector). Since January, I've replaced EACH item in the system piece by piece, including the cables. I've even tried to isolate it to a power issue by running the system from outlets on different circuit breakers. Nothing helps, even when I strip the setup down to bare-bones.

I live in an old house with some pretty funky wiring, so I think it's some kind of power fluctuation issue. But I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer, so I don't have any clue what to do.
post #1274 of 1735 Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Is NR535 enough for my new TV

I've been using a TX-SR805 for quite a few years, but recently purchased a Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K TV (great TV!). If I understand correctly, the 805 is not going to support the 4K nor 3D functionality of this TV.

I haven't really had the time to research new receivers yet, but this morning I was presented with the opportunity to pick up a new NR535 for $188. Normally, I would budget maybe three or four times that for a new receiver, but at that price I might be willing to compromise some bells-and-whistles type features and save myself the shopping around headaches.

Judging from the start date of this thread, I'm guessing the price on this 535 is so low because the 535 is an aging model. Yes?

I also hope to someday in the not too distant future wire the whole house for music.

Would this receiver be enough to use as a home theatre set-up with this Panasonic TV? Any thoughts on what I'd be giving up would be greatly appreciated.
post #1275 of 1735 Old 07-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 163
That's a good price. That unit should pass through 4K @10gbps no problem. It should also have HDCP 2.2 on input 3 so you'd be covered it you wanted to get a UHD Player.
post #1276 of 1735 Old 07-20-2015, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bluetooth Audio Delay?

Hi All,

I've been using an Onkyo TX-NR636 since Dec 2014. Pretty happy with the unit, though I've run into one issue:

When I connect my smartphone or Windows laptop to the AVR and watch video and use the receiver as my playback device, the audio and video are out of sync. If I were to guess, the audio is a half second behind the video.

I was planning to run some speakers to the backyard and wire them as zone2, but the plan was to combine zone2 audio with a projector and have movie nights outside.

Any suggestions? I know VLC player allows you to correct for this manually in the settings, but why is this happening in the first place? This is my first AVR, I have nothing to compare to. I suppose I could run an input cable to the back deck, but would rather avoid that if possible.

Any thoughts?
post #1277 of 1735 Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian74 View Post
I did as well. Already received it but am not going to hook it up until I move into my new house in Oct. Just seemed like too good a deal to pass up, based on the reviews I have read. I will be getting the ceiling pre-wired for .2 for Atmos. I am looking into the Aperion Audio Intimus for speakers but still on the fence display-wise.

Please do post a review; I will be interested in reading about your experience with this unit.
I got my receiver installed with the 3.1 setup (surrounds will be in soon). While I like some of the features, I hate the remote. I have to press a million buttons just to turn my TV on. I dont like the fact that its not backlit nor do the buttons glow. Other than that it seems to work ok, I haven't tried out the audio streaming features yet.

Edit: While watching Ex Machina I noticed a problem with lip sync. I turned this feature off and it seemed to be resolved. Watched Ninja Turtles in 3d and the issue returned. Whats going on here?

post #1278 of 1735 Old 07-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
I got my receiver installed with the 3.1 setup (surrounds will be in soon). While I like some of the features, I hate the remote. I have to press a million buttons just to turn my TV on. I dont like the fact that its not backlit nor do the buttons glow. Other than that it seems to work ok, I haven't tried out the audio streaming features yet.
Still my Favorite remote with my 636, F8500, and FiOS TV https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1463454-official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk-100.html#post23258542
The two circles of buttons means easy, no look, navigation even in the dark.

AVS Forum link in above is old and broken: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post23258818

Getting Cox configured remote to work with FiOS: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r293...urc-8820-CISCO

Last edited by JRWalker; 07-20-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added Getting urc-8820-CISCO remote to work with FiOS Quantum TV
post #1279 of 1735 Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs4ever View Post
When I connect my smartphone or Windows laptop to the AVR and watch video and use the receiver as my playback device, the audio and video are out of sync. If I were to guess, the audio is a half second behind the video.

Any suggestions? I know VLC player allows you to correct for this manually in the settings, but why is this happening in the first place? This is my first AVR, I have nothing to compare to. I suppose I could run an input cable to the back deck, but would rather avoid that if possible.
I switched from a Pioneer VSX-33 (zero lag whatsoever with anything) to a 636 recently as well, and was introduced to the world of AVR lag.

It seems it's a pretty common issue with these receivers, depending on what you're doing with it. It's especially bad with 3D. Some don't have issues, but many seem to have them. My guess is that whatever video processing the AVR is doing in certain modes or with certain sources, even when set to Bypass, it causes sync issues with audio which it just passes through/plays, causing the video to lag. Turning Lip Sync on in the settings doesn't seem to help (again depends on the source).

I've found that the best way to alleviate it is actually to not run the receiver in Bypass mode, and put the image mode in Custom, even if you don't tweak any of the video settings. This, I'm guessing, makes the AVR capture both audio and video streams, do whatever it needs to do, and output them together, et voila, no lag.

Whenever I watch anything in 3D, whether from my HTPC or from a BluRay off a console, I have to do this. It's the only solution I've found so far to fix the lag.
post #1280 of 1735 Old 07-21-2015, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Need help with Onkyo TX- NR636

I just bought from Amazon a refurbished Onkyo TX- NR636 sold by woot for a price of $374 on their July Cyber sale is that a good price?.... What I'm wondering is it a good replacement for an older Denon AVR-887 Surround receiver?

Here is what I currently have Hooked up to the old Denon

Smart T.V Samsung UN60HU8550 60" LED 4K ULTRA HD 3D ...
MHT Samsung BD-F7500 Ultra 4K 3D Blu- Ray Player

Bright House HD-DVR with a Motorola surfboard sbg6580 W/WiFi

A Premier Acoustic PA 150 1000 watt powered sub

7 Infinity 1100 satellite speakers setup as
front L and R, center, 2 surround and 2 back surround for a total of 7 + sub which would be 7.1 correct?

Ceiling is vaulted at the highest it is at least 16 feet lowest point is 7 feet which is at the point my L&R surrounds and backs are placed, 2 fronts are placed far apart on either side of the TV, The center just below the TV.... surround and backs are wall mounted about 7 feet up facing downward.
Would I be able to use any of those Infnity 1100 satellite speakers as Dolby Atmos? or would I need to buy the Atmos speakers?

Would buying the Atmos speakers even work considering the vaulted height ceiling in the living room?

Last edited by jagmanss1; 07-22-2015 at 05:12 PM.
post #1281 of 1735 Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmanss1 View Post
OK! I can't wait till the end of this thread and need help!

I just bought from Amazon a refurbished Onkyo TX- NR636 sold by woot for a price of $374 on their July Cyber sale is that a good price?.... What I'm wondering is it a good replacement for an older Denon 7.1 channel Reciever AVR-887 Surround receiver?

Here is what I Have to hook up:

T.V Samsung UN60HU8550 60" LED 4K ULTRA HD 3D TV...

Infinity sat-1100

L and R, center, 2 center surround and 2 back surround for a total of 7 + sub which would be 7.1 correct?

MHT Samsung BD-F7500 Ultra 4K Blu- Ray Player

Would I be able to use any of those Sat speakers for Dolby Atmos?

I had a pic off my set up but can't find it ATM.... Ceiling is vaulted at the highest it is at least 16 feet lowest is 7 feet which is at the point my surround Mids and backs are placed fronts 2 are placed far apart on either side of the TV and the height of the tv of course the center just below the tv.... Mids and backs are facing downward

What should I do?
I can't even tell which questions are rhetorical, and which you actually want us to answer. Can you give us the TLDR version, this is incomprehensible...
cambridgehank likes this.
post #1282 of 1735 Old 07-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux View Post
I can't even tell which questions are rhetorical, and which you actually want us to answer. Can you give us the TLDR version, this is incomprehensible...

Yeah that was a bit garbled and cleaned it up some... I'm Looking for answers to all with a ? Is this better?

I just bought from Amazon a refurbished Onkyo TX- NR636 sold by woot for a price of $374 on their July Cyber sale is that a good price?.... What I'm wondering is it a good replacement for an older Denon AVR-887 Surround receiver?

front L and R, center, 2 surround and 2 back surround for a total of 7 + sub which would be 7.1 correct?

Ceiling is vaulted at the highest it is at least 16 feet lowest point is 7 feet which is at the point my L&R surrounds and backs are placed, 2 fronts are placed far apart on either side of the TV, The center just below the TV.... surround and backs are wall mounted about 7 feet up facing downward.
Would I be able to use any of those Infnity 1100 satellite speakers as Dolby Atmos? or would I need to buy the Atmos speakers?

Would buying the Atmos speakers even work considering the vaulted height ceiling in the living room?

Last edited by jagmanss1; 07-22-2015 at 09:14 PM.
post #1283 of 1735 Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmanss1 View Post
Yeah that was a bit garbled and cleaned it up some... I'm Looking for answers to all with a ? Is this better?

Atmos speakers should work fine in vaulted/open ceilings. At least that's what the geniuses at Best Buy told me; I have no real experience. Also I believe you need Atmos speakers, not just any old speaker to work in that function.
post #1284 of 1735 Old 07-24-2015, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Had to move furniture and install a new desk. So re-calibrated due to my seating being moved and found the right speaker was muffled. So i look at the cabling and discover both HF Reds were somehow disconnected. The wire was all torn from something so ended up replacing it and what a difference again. I didnt even notice that had happened with having 5 speakers in a small room 10x10ft but yea all back to jaw droppingly normal

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
post #1285 of 1735 Old 07-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
4ohm

Although not recommended by onkyo to use 4 ohm speakers with this receiver, it drives my 5.1 set up with Polk lsi7 bookshelves just fine.

Why is the European version of the 636 4ohm capableand the USA version is not recommended for 4 ohm?
post #1286 of 1735 Old 07-29-2015, 11:13 AM

No Sound from Subwoofer

Hey all,
First post here, thought some of you may be able to help. Setting up my Onkyo 636 with my Canton Movie 130 speakers. All the speakers are working fine, but for some reason the noise from the subwoofer is barely audible and pretty much nonexistent. In the speaker level calibration screen I set the subwoofer to DB+10, crossover on the sub to max and volume on the sub to max and i barely barely hear a light humming noise. I've tried various RCA cables and even a Y-cable to connect to the subwoofer port on the 636, but still no luck.

I know the subwoofer works - makes a "dhung" noise when I turn it on, hums when I tap the RCA cable to the port, connected to my phone using a headphone to rca and could hear the low level frequencies of the song that was playing (I'm probably not supposed to do that) etc.

Any ideas? Could just be the subwoofer - Amazon says the impedance is 4 ohms, but then again, all the speakers are working fine.

Thanks!
post #1287 of 1735 Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffi100 View Post
Hey all,
First post here, thought some of you may be able to help. Setting up my Onkyo 636 with my Canton Movie 130 speakers. All the speakers are working fine, but for some reason the noise from the subwoofer is barely audible and pretty much nonexistent. In the speaker level calibration screen I set the subwoofer to DB+10, crossover on the sub to max and volume on the sub to max and i barely barely hear a light humming noise. I've tried various RCA cables and even a Y-cable to connect to the subwoofer port on the 636, but still no luck.

I know the subwoofer works - makes a "dhung" noise when I turn it on, hums when I tap the RCA cable to the port, connected to my phone using a headphone to rca and could hear the low level frequencies of the song that was playing (I'm probably not supposed to do that) etc.

Any ideas? Could just be the subwoofer - Amazon says the impedance is 4 ohms, but then again, all the speakers are working fine.

Thanks!
Are you connected to the correct Sub port on the 636?

post #1288 of 1735 Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffi100 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!
My SUB has a volume dial independent of the receiver. Is the volume on the SUB itself turned down? Are the wires making good contact?
post #1289 of 1735 Old 07-30-2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - I found a Sony SA-W2500 sub on Craigslist for $40 so I just picked it up and that sub seems to work just fine. Must be an issue with the Canton sub then but the Sony I have is more than adequate for my small apartment so I'll stick with it...thanks!
post #1290 of 1735 Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi everybody. I just bought a 4k Samsung TV and I connected the 636 in the hdmi arc in of the TV. I turn on the cec on the amp, but when I turn on the tv and the amp with my harmony and with activities the amp instea to go to stb hdmi port is changed to TV/cd port. Anybody knows what can I do for this? I want to be able to here from the smart hub Netflix of the TV through the onkyo. Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
55La9700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page