The Official Onkyo TX-NR535/636/737/838 Thread. - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #1321 of 1735 Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
I think as of right now you'd be fine with the 838 if your thinking about short term.
I've been going back and forth with the same thing myself . . . I have the 4K TV, but it is last year's model, so there still isn't full bandwidth HDMI on the TV itself. So the lone HDCP 2.2 connection on the 838 would be just fine for me if I do go UHD player down the road. I'm not going to do anything different than my current 5.1 and speaker B/zone 2 setup I have now, so the newest codecs aren't a need for me. But I also really like the Denon X3100W and X4100W at their reduced prices, and it's no problem for me to run a second HDMI if I need to when the time comes. So I keep talking myself into circles as far as which one to get. Which means I'll dance around it long enough that all of them will be long gone by the time I make a decision, ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1735 Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by piketech View Post
I have the 4K TV, but it is last year's model, so there still isn't full bandwidth HDMI on the TV itself. ... So I keep talking myself into circles as far as which one to get.
I totally understand going in circles! Just when I talked myself into going with the 838, I found my Panasonic TC-58AX800U TV actually does have one HDMI 2.0 input, so now I'm back to thinking I'll wait for the TX-RZ800 with full bandwidth capability. And of course pay twice as much <sigh>.

Are there any other Onkyo receivers with HDMI 2.0 already out in a less-pricey range than the RZ800?
post #1323 of 1735 Old 08-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The 747,647,545 are already out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1735 Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
The 747,647,545 are already out.
Thanks Lozin.

It's looking like the TX-NR747 may be enough for my needs.

The only thing I'm questioning is the 747's lack of the 'HDMI output for HD Video in a Second Zone' that I could get with the RZ800. If this feature does what I think it does, I'd probably want it, but I'm not totally clear on what the feature does.

Does 'HDMI output for HD Video in a Second Zone' basically mean that I could use a single cable box to send the cable signal to both my first and second TVs just through the Receiver (allowing me to get rid of my second cable box)? Does it allow me to share one cable box across two rooms and use my cable service independently on each TV (watching different channels in each room)?
post #1325 of 1735 Old 08-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I think so but don't quote me on it as I haven't used zone 2 on my 1030
post #1326 of 1735 Old 08-19-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22916 Post(s)
Liked: 12537
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxphun View Post
Thanks Lozin.

It's looking like the TX-NR747 may be enough for my needs.

The only thing I'm questioning is the 747's lack of the 'HDMI output for HD Video in a Second Zone' that I could get with the RZ800. If this feature does what I think it does, I'd probably want it, but I'm not totally clear on what the feature does.

Does 'HDMI output for HD Video in a Second Zone' basically mean that I could use a single cable box to send the cable signal to both my first and second TVs just through the Receiver (allowing me to get rid of my second cable box)? Does it allow me to share one cable box across two rooms and use my cable service independently on each TV (watching different channels in each room)?
It means you can pass either the same HDMI source to both TVs or a different HDMI source to each TV; however, as there would be only one cable box, you could only select one channel on it at a time.
post #1327 of 1735 Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo TX-NR636 Shuts Off randomly

I have Onkyo TX-NR636 and since last 1 month its giving me serious problem. It randomly shuts off while playing or would immediately turn off as soon as i turn it on. I have tried everything available on the internet without any success.

The behavior is totally random. sometimes it would play for hours without any problem and sometimes immediately turn off. The equipment connected is as below:

1. JAMO Floorstanding speakers C807 (Front)
2. PS3 (though its been ages since i played it)
3. Samsung TV Monitor (also hardly ever used)
4. PC is connected thru an external sound card which has an optical cable that goes into the Receiver. Mostly i play movies and songs thru this connection.

Even if i disconnect everything the problem remains. So it cannot be a device issue. I suspected it is a heating issue. Since last 1 month i have taken the AVR out of the cabinet in open air but no use. Plus as sometimes it do plays for hours on so not sure if you can call it a heating issue or not.

Took it to the dealer he played it there for around half hour and there was not shutoff . The dealer said that try unplugging it from electricity everytime you are done using it bec it still can get hot. Tried that as well....no use.

Some scenarios to give you idea of the random behaviour:

1. Kept it unplugged for around 24+ hours and then plugged it and turned it on....immediately shuts off.
2. Kept it plugged in but turned it on after 8 hours or so....starts and works for hours.
3. Kept it plugged in for hours without turning on....turn it on and it shuts off immediately....after a few failures give it an hour break....turn on again and it works for like half hour and shuts off again....if turn on again it shuts off again after 5 min.

There is no pattern here as you can see. I have the latest firmware as well. I have factory reset it as well many times. Checked if the fuse in the plug is faulty but it seems fine too. My last guess is if the fan is faulty....it seems to turn on immediately as soon as i turn on the receiver but turns off shortly and than randomly turns on and off.

Anyone else faced any such issue?
post #1328 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sorry safwan, I have no advice for you. My 737 is new & I have yet to experience any such issues, however, the more I read about these units, it seems this & similar problems are not uncommon. I don't think I will grow old with this unit, which is a shame as I like it & it does exactly what I want it to do at a reasonable price. I have an old PC that I was going to throw out. I think I will remove the fan & use it to draw hot air out of the unit. It may not extend the life span but at least I feel I am being proactive.

As I have had my 737 for almost 2 weeks now, the only problem I have encountered, if you can call it a problem, is that I can't seem to figure out how to listen to music & keep an HD quality picture on the TV. I like to watching auto racing of just about any type, but I usually can't stand the announcer. If I hear Darryl Waldrip shout "Boogity, Boogity, Boogity one more time I'm gonna shoot something.

I have rigged up an RCA cable from the Sat box to a video in on the TV. This is not ideal, but it works, sort of. I do have to change the TV source to AV1...and since it's an analog signal, I think, the picture sucks.

Does anyone know how I can listen to my stereo, connected to the AVR by HDMI cable, and watch HD TV at the same time? Or is it impossible?
post #1329 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 AM

Christmas in August...in Thailand

As I hit the Post Reply button, the postman showed up. Look what I just got in the mail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos Box.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	899482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos unwrapped.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	899498  

Last edited by Tagaa; 08-22-2015 at 05:08 AM.
post #1330 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagaa View Post
As I have had my 737 for almost 2 weeks now, the only problem I have encountered, if you can call it a problem, is that I can't seem to figure out how to listen to music & keep an HD quality picture on the TV. I like to watching auto racing of just about any type, but I usually can't stand the announcer. If I hear Darryl Waldrip shout "Boogity, Boogity, Boogity one more time I'm gonna shoot something.

I have rigged up an RCA cable from the Sat box to a video in on the TV. This is not ideal, but it works, sort of. I do have to change the TV source to AV1...and since it's an analog signal, I think, the picture sucks.

Does anyone know how I can listen to my stereo, connected to the AVR by HDMI cable, and watch HD TV at the same time? Or is it impossible?
Hi Tagaa, listen from AM/FM Tuner? Or listen from a source connected to receiver?
post #1331 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 04:57 PM

CD player "connected to the AVR by HDMI cable."
post #1332 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
CD player "connected to the AVR by HDMI cable."
Older Onkyo model you can watch a HDMI video and select an audio (like Tuner or music source connected & assigned to TV/CD port - via optical, coaxial or analog). Most likely the CD player will have other audio output beside HDMI.

- connect CD player to "TV/CD" jack via optical, coaxial or RCA
- select your HDMI video input source
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD"
post #1333 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 07:55 PM

As I said, the SAT box is already connected with an RCA plug to the TV but the picture is terrible.

I'm looking for a way to get HDMI quality picture on the TV while listening to music (CD).
post #1334 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM

After a few moments of reflection, I will just remove the HDMI cable between the CD/DVD player and AVR & plug the CD player into the 737 with an RCA cable & problem solved. I doubt I can hear the difference in a CD when the signal is passed via RCA vs HDMI. I'm gonna try that . High quality DVD's & the like are not available here anyway so that will suit my needs.

Most movies I watch are downloaded from a torrent site & then played via HDMI from my PC to the AVR. That's one of the benefits of living outside the US....you don't get a nasty gram, much less a subpoena, from your ISP, when downloading movies or music for free.
post #1335 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I said, the SAT box is already connected with an RCA plug to the TV but the picture is terrible.

I'm looking for a way to get HDMI quality picture on the TV while listening to music (CD).
Don't use RCA plug to the TV. Use the regular Main HDMI Out to TV .
post #1336 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 PM

JChin...Thanks for the replies, but you have completely misunderstood my dilemma.

The SAT box is connected to the AVR via HDMI cable.

AVR is connected to TV via HDMI.

CD/DVD player is connected to the AVR via HDMI.

If I want to listen to a CD, I get no picture on the TV, just the Denon logo from the player....usually no problem. However, SOMETIME, I like to watch something on TV with no volume (as in a race or football game) & also listen to a CD.

Currently to accomplish this, I have a single RCA cable going from the SAT box to the TV, passing only video, bypassing the AVR, but the picture is terrible. I would like to listen to a CD while watching a HD signal on the TV.

As I stated, my option, as I see it, is to remove the HDMI from the CD/DVD to AVR and replace it with a RCA paired cable. This way, I can watch TV with an HD picture & still listen to music. Again, as stated previously, I doubt I can hear the difference of a CD connected via RCA or HDMI, and the monitor will have an HD picture

IDEALLY, I would like to figure a way to listen to the CD, connected to the AVR via HDMI & also watch TV, via HDMI connection between the AVR & TV. However, I think this is impossible.

Last edited by Tagaa; 08-22-2015 at 11:13 PM.
post #1337 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Double post - Sorry.

Last edited by Tagaa; 08-22-2015 at 11:12 PM.
post #1338 of 1735 Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IDEALLY, I would like to figure a way to listen to the CD, connected to the AVR via HDMI & also watch TV, via HDMI connection between the AVR & TV. However, I think this is impossible.
This for sure you cannot do.

My suggested connection:

The SAT box is connected to the AVR via HDMI cable.

AVR is connected to TV via HDMI.

CD/DVD player is connected to the AVR "TV/CD" input via optical or RCA cables.

With the SAT Box is playing (watching racing), turn CD player on and play your favorite cd. While still watching HD quality picture on the TV, on the remote press "RCV" button and then "TV/CD" button. SAT Box video should still display on TV and CD disc audio should be playing.
post #1339 of 1735 Old 08-22-2015, 02:50 AM

Tagaa:
As I stated, my option, as I see it, is to remove the HDMI from the CD/DVD to AVR and replace it with a RCA paired cable. This way, I can watch TV with an HD picture & still listen to music.

JChin:
CD/DVD player is connected to the AVR "TV/CD" input via optical or RCA cables.

Just made the change...CD still sounds great & TV has HD quality picture...Watching F1 practise and listening to Jackson Browne - The Load Out ...great song.
post #1340 of 1735 Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the 838 will decode 7.1.2 if I use an external amp for the back speakers and use the 838 as the amp for the remaining speakers (front, center, rear, ceiling)?
post #1341 of 1735 Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22916 Post(s)
Liked: 12537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmiester View Post
Does anyone know if the 838 will decode 7.1.2 if I use an external amp for the back speakers and use the 838 as the amp for the remaining speakers (front, center, rear, ceiling)?
It will not as the 838 is a 7CH AVR with a maximum processing of 7CH.
post #1342 of 1735 Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
838 Android App - MP3 shuffle?

Just got my 838 through accessories for less...got rid of the pioneer elite sc-75. .Downloaded the android app and can easily play songs stored on the phone. I loaded the apple version on the wife's iphone.

Does anyone know how to shuffle the songs randomly while playing MP3 songs stored on the phone? We can't figure it out on either phone.

I have searched the forum, onkyo's website, the google store site and can't find anything.

Thanks, B
post #1343 of 1735 Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcrowley View Post
Just got my 838 through accessories for less...got rid of the pioneer elite sc-75. .Downloaded the android app and can easily play songs stored on the phone. I loaded the apple version on the wife's iphone.

Does anyone know how to shuffle the songs randomly while playing MP3 songs stored on the phone? We can't figure it out on either phone.

I have searched the forum, onkyo's website, the google store site and can't find anything.

Thanks, B
I believe that would be the blue icon at the right of the transport controls:

The other icon to the left of the transport controls would be the "repeat" function. For either, they toggle between off (gray) and on (blue).

(This is with the latest Android version of the Onkyo app on Galaxy S4 / Lollipop.)

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9

Last edited by jcalabria; 08-26-2015 at 10:15 AM.
post #1344 of 1735 Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
I believe that would be the blue icon at the right of the transport controls:

The other icon to the left of the transport controls would be the "repeat" function. For either, they toggle between off (gray) and on (blue).

(This is with the latest Android version of the Onkyo app on Galaxy S4 / Lollipop.)

Thanks...I will give that a try. Didn't even notice it. Wow...feeling kind of stupid now.
post #1345 of 1735 Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The Official Onkyo TX-NR535/636/737/838 Thread.

I have a 737 and for the past few days I have been having issues with the phono input. It has done it with two different turntables and two different sets of cables. I play a record and the music sounds low, echoey and far away. If I switch to another input and back to phono, it is fine until next time. Does this sound like the internal phono preamp is going bad? (I hope not, it's only 7 months old)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chaotic Bliss; 08-30-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #1346 of 1735 Old 08-30-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
I have had a TX-NR737 now for around 7 months. This is my main receiver in my home theater in my basement. I don't use it for music really. I have a blur ray player and HTPC which runs plex home theater. I've noticed when trying to play a digital copy of a movie using a TrueHD 7.1 track I was having issues with playback through plex. I went into the plex audio settings and unchecked the TrueHD support option and it now plays fine. Looking in windows at the sound devices it does see the reciver however it does not show that it supports trueHD or dtsHD. I'm still new to all the audio stuff so I'm a little confused for one if my receiver supports these new formats. I thought it did. Do I need to do the atmos firmware upgrade in order to support these? I never did because I do not have an atmos speaker setup and was afraid to mess with it since early on I read that after doing the firmware people were having issues getting sound to all speakers. It seemed the consensus was if I don't have an atmos setup then to not do the firmware upgrade. With more and more moives supporting trueHD and dtsHD I"m consfused as if i'm going to be getting the most out of my receiver?
post #1347 of 1735 Old 08-30-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I have had a TX-NR737 now for around 7 months. This is my main receiver in my home theater in my basement. I don't use it for music really. I have a blur ray player and HTPC which runs plex home theater. I've noticed when trying to play a digital copy of a movie using a TrueHD 7.1 track I was having issues with playback through plex. I went into the plex audio settings and unchecked the TrueHD support option and it now plays fine. Looking in windows at the sound devices it does see the reciver however it does not show that it supports trueHD or dtsHD. I'm still new to all the audio stuff so I'm a little confused for one if my receiver supports these new formats. I thought it did. Do I need to do the atmos firmware upgrade in order to support these? I never did because I do not have an atmos speaker setup and was afraid to mess with it since early on I read that after doing the firmware people were having issues getting sound to all speakers. It seemed the consensus was if I don't have an atmos setup then to not do the firmware upgrade. With more and more moives supporting trueHD and dtsHD I"m consfused as if i'm going to be getting the most out of my receiver?

Get a new video card that can support TruHD and DTS-HD 7.1 or 7.2 and listen to audio.

My favorite toy
post #1348 of 1735 Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm using an intel NUC DC3217IYE. It's an older i3 model so it's possible that it will not support it. I thought the receiver would be doing all the decoding. Does the NR737 support trueHD before the atmos firmware update or only after? I will look at updating the drivers on the nuc to see if that makes any difference. But I wasn't sure on the receiver end about the firmware update and support for the newer types of audio formats.

Thanks for the response.
post #1349 of 1735 Old 09-01-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I updated the audio drivers and chipset drivers of the system and now in windows it shows support for dtsHD and trueHD. I now can play my movies with the 7.1 TrueHD audio tracks.
So luckily it was just a driver issue and not hardware. Since with the nuc I can't really swap out sound cards.
post #1350 of 1735 Old 09-03-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Please some advice here: What would you recommend me to buy? 737 or 646?
In Amazon, the 737 is $499. The 646 is $549.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
55La9700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page