The Official Onkyo TX-NR535/636/737/838 Thread. - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #1711 of 1729 Old 07-02-2018, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Just bought the Onkyo TX-NR838 for a good price to replace the long lasting Onkyo 805.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1729 Old 07-11-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are using front reflection modules on floor standing speakers. What setting should I set for height speakers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #1713 of 1729 Old 10-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There are a few Onkyo 636 threads so I decided to write in most recent one - here. I'm having a bit of an issue with my 636 after I upgraded PJ to 4K JVC x7900. I have Samsung 8500 4K 4:4:4 player and it failed to work at 4K HDR.

After checking a lot of internet pages, I figured that only input "3" supports HDCP 2.2 which required for blu-ray player. I manage to get 4K picture, but HDR is not working. Any other INPUTs only work at 1080p.

Nvidia Shield 4K works in any input, with or without HDR, no problem at all, but blu-ray player just refuse to work.

I was really hopping to keep 636 as I was buying it future-proof, and I will have 3 sources of video: Blu-ray player (waiting for my Panasonic 820), HDPC, and PS4 Pro, so I need receiver like that, but that last thing I want is to spend more on this setup, as budget is already exhausted

I'd appreciate any help in making 636 working with blu-ray HDR sources.

LG OLED 55C6, F9000 + SEK-3500XC (EU), Sony VPL-HW65ES, 7.1, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1729 Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Hello, i have a S530 that switches to TV Audio input when powered on using the Watch TV activity (which uses the cab/sat input) on my harmony remote, i switch off ARC control and its fine......until i wanna use the TV Audio for netflix and there is silence.

I know its some kind of Auto feature that mite solve this issue......

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 10-20-2018 at 10:55 AM.
post #1715 of 1729 Old 10-21-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Anyone ????

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #1716 of 1729 Old 10-29-2018, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Hello, i have a S530 that switches to TV Audio input when powered on using the Watch TV activity (which uses the cab/sat input) on my harmony remote, i switch off ARC control and its fine......until i wanna use the TV Audio for netflix and there is silence.

What is the S530? What issue are you trying to solve here? Are you trying to get TV streaming audio out to the receiver?
post #1717 of 1729 Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PS4 connected to 636

Wondering what people think are the best settings to use for a PS4 (Slim) connected to the 636 via HDMI?

Using an Atmos 5.1.2 setup with the .2 being Front L/R Height Speakers. Been using Bitstream, DD, told PS4 prefer 7.1 output. It's been outputting 5.1 DD which 636 is picking up and decoding correctly, output it as Dolby Surround 5.1.2 (my preferred with DD 5.1 input).

But when using PS VUE I'm not getting any sound out of the Center channel, or any others I can tell for that matter. Just decidedly from the L/R/Sub. I tried quickly switching it to LPCM 7.1 output and seemed like I was getting same thing. Haven't tried other apps or games for that matter (I'm mostly an Xbox person) but am I missing something? On the PS3 I used to force it to output PCM 2.0 so that the 636 could perform post processing on it to at least guarantee that all channels were being used. Didn't mind so much but thought it'd be fixed with PS4.

Thoughts?
post #1718 of 1729 Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Does the 636 not calibrate both subs separate? When I went through the setup and test tones it calibrated both subs at the same time. This is my first time having a receiver with dual subs out. I would have assumed it would calibrate both so that they would be in phase with one another depending on their location in the room.
Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm about to setup a 2nd sub and had the same question for my 636. Thankfully they're identical subs but on opposite parts of the room.
post #1719 of 1729 Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need some basic help on reconfiguring AV setup

hey folks, first post here and I'll apologize in advance for what I'm sure is a dumb question.

We've had a 5.1 system in place for a few years. It was a Samsung 55" tv, an Onkyo TX NR-737 receiver and a 5.1 speaker system. We connect a Dish Hopper 3, a 4k Apple TV and a DVD player to the receiver and then a single HDMI cable to the TV. Worked great.

We just upgraded the TV, bought a Vizio P65-F1 and it looks terrific but a few issues. We hooked it up the same way we had the Samsung hooked up, but this tv is ARC compliant so had an HDMI cable going from the ARC HDMI port on the receiver to its equivalent on the TV. Everything looks and sounds great except for two issues:

- the ARC functionality doesn't seem to be working, if I select the TV's SmartCast source as the input and stream, for example, a youtube video, the sound plays through the TV, not the receiver.

- When we select the receiver's input as the Dish Hopper, the TV shuts off about every 15 minutes, just like someone hit the power button. We turn it back on, wait 20 seconds for it to boot back up and away we go until it does it again. Maddening. We do NOT have this issue when the receiver's source is the Apple TV.

So I did a test, connected the HDMI from the Hopper directly to the TV and the TV doesn't shut off, so the powering off issue seems to be receiver-related. Weird. But obviously I'm not getting sound through the receiver now, just the tv.

So I've ordered an optical cable which arrives tonight. I was thinking once it does I'll plug it in, then connect the Apple TV's hdmi cable directly to the tv as well and then hopefully all is well. I'll get sound through the receiver and no more powering off. But something that confuses me is what will I need to select as the receiver's source. Does it matter or will it just automagically "see" the optical cable and when the tv is selected to a given source it will then just play that audio through the receiver? I have visions of connecting the optical cable and still not having sound through the receiver for a reason that is simple if I'd just asked ahead of time. Hence, this post.

My main purpose here is to get an answer to that last question but if anyone has a clue why the tv was powering off while playing the Hopper but not the Apple TV, I'd love to hear more. I find that perplexing.

Thanks!
post #1720 of 1729 Old 02-21-2019, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a way to manually force the Onkyo NR737 to go back through the setup wizard?

I can't figure out how to get back to the CEC menu to ensure ARC is enabled, and my inputs have weird settings, like coax for audio. I was thinking maybe I should just run the whole thing again but can't figure out how to launch it.

FYI, the optical cable worked. I now have the HDMI cables going directly from the source devices to the TV and an optical cable from the tv to the receiver. Set the receiver to TV/CD source and things are good and the TV doesn't shut down when using the Hopper.

But does this give me the same video and audio quality if I just used HDMI cables from sources to the receiver and a single ARC hdmi from the receiver to the TV? Or would that solution be preferable to what I've got now?
post #1721 of 1729 Old 02-27-2019, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Not sure if it's the exact same, but on my 787 when I need to re-initialize the ARC feature, I go to Hardware/HDMI/HDMI CEC and change it to off. After coming out of the menu completely, I go back and change to On. This usually forces the AVR to rescan ARC compatible devices. (sometime just turning of ARC, going to an input, then going in and turning ARC back to Auto does the same)

HTH

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #1722 of 1729 Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a Onkyo NR-TX838 receiver. A couple days ago I noticed my HDMI 2 that has my Nvidia Shield was not displaying a picture or audio. Just could not find HDMI signal. I switched the Nvidia shield to a different HDMI port and now its working. Do you guys think the HDMI port is bad? If so, is there anyway to fix this issue?
post #1723 of 1729 Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Out Main & Out Sub Audio Issue

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before and knows what settings to change to resolve it? I've had my TV connected to "Out Main" and my projector connected to "Out Sub", and both have been fine outputting DD, DTS, etc., but having just upgraded to a 4K projector, I wanted to make sure that it was connected to "Out Main" for HDCP 2.2, so all I did was swap the HDMI cables over. The problem now is, I am only getting PCM Stereo audio from all devices when watching on the projector over "Out Main". I haven't made any other changes, so I don't understand why the audio has changed by just changing the output over. I was testing it late last night and I was really tired, so I may have missed something obvious I'm using new HDMI cables which are all 4K 60Hz, etc. My setup is Onkyo TX-NR636, Projector is BenQ W2700 (HT3550), and Sony X700 UHD Player. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Barry

Edit: Yep, I missed something because I was too tired. It's all sorted now

Last edited by Barry McKean; 06-06-2019 at 01:23 AM.
post #1724 of 1729 Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quick question. It's been a while since I've messed with my TX-NR737 other than just use it as is. I remember a few years back a firmware upgrade was out that was for atmos setups. I've never done a firmware upgrade on my unit and I do not have an atmos speaker setup. I'm just running old school 7.1 configuration. If I was to do a firmware upgrade would that in anyway negatively impact how my setup and receiver would function? I typically stream digital copies of movies to my projector using Plex as the front end. Mostly the audio tracks are DTS-HD.MA.7.1. But sometimes I do have a TrueHD.7.1.Atmos copy. They both play and sound ok so I guess no REAL reason to do a firmware upgrade. But once in a while I'll get a brief audio drop and thought possibly a firmware update could potentially fix this. But I don't want to do it and have it screw me up and cause me more problems then it's worth. If anyone has any input or experience with this I'd greatly appreciate to hear from you.

Thanks,
post #1725 of 1729 Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

I had a similar issue...my HDMI coming out of my PC (I'm in Thailand & I don't have access to USA television other than via internet) goes into a splitter that splits the signal one way to my TX-NR737 & TV set up in the living room and also splits it to my standalone TV in the bedroom. I was getting video in the bedroom but no audio . finally after changing cables with no positive result, I got into the menu. I don't remember what I changed (this happened about 3 years ago& I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday), but my guess is that you have something turned off that should be on.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help, but I think your answer lies in the Menu settings.

By the way, you may want to do a reset to see if that helps. Find the instructions in the Troubleshooting section of the manual. Before you do this, I suggest that you go through all menu sections & take notes of your current settings, so you can get back to where you were before the reset. This will save you hours of time screwing around to get back to where you were prior to the reset.
post #1726 of 1729 Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Quick question. It's been a while since I've messed with my TX-NR737 other than just use it as is. I remember a few years back a firmware upgrade was out that was for atmos setups. I've never done a firmware upgrade on my unit and I do not have an atmos speaker setup. I'm just running old school 7.1 configuration. If I was to do a firmware upgrade would that in anyway negatively impact how my setup and receiver would function?

Thanks,

The update will not affect any of your settings.

I usually check for updates every 6 months or so. IIRC, the last time I checked, it updated.
post #1727 of 1729 Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
I have a Onkyo NR-TX838 receiver. A couple days ago I noticed my HDMI 2 that has my Nvidia Shield was not displaying a picture or audio. Just could not find HDMI signal. I switched the Nvidia shield to a different HDMI port and now its working. Do you guys think the HDMI port is bad? If so, is there anyway to fix this issue?

You could have a bad HDMI port.

I used to have a Denon AVR-2809. The HDMI ports ALL quit working. I did a few resets to no avail. Hence I bought the Onkyo.

Try a reset...I have had a few issues with the Onkyo TX-NR737 and this has solved most of my problems. The other solutions were discovered in the Menu settings.
post #1728 of 1729 Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Question

A couple of years ago, I built a weatherproof cabinet for my TX-NR535 receiver. It is out by our pool where it is connected to a pair of Polk Atrium 8 outdoor speakers. The only thing I use the receiver for is its WiFi connection to my home network where I have a server with 400 Gb of MP3 files. I do not have a TV connected to it; so, I'm really flying blind if I try to make any adjustments. I do use the Onkyo Remote app on my phone to control the limited functions that I use.

I would like to be able to boost the bass a bit. The Polk's are nice, but I'd like a little more bottom end.

I have downloaded both the Basic and Advanced Owner's Manuals and gone through them multiple times. It appears to me that if I am using the Net input, the tone controls are disabled. Is that the case? Or do I have to do some kind of setup on the receiver?

If I do need to do some setup (which will mean video), will the HDMI output work with a computer monitor with HDMI input or do I have to use a TV with all the copy protection circuitry on it?
post #1729 of 1729 Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
A couple of years ago, I built a weatherproof cabinet for my TX-NR535 receiver. It is out by our pool where it is connected to a pair of Polk Atrium 8 outdoor speakers. The only thing I use the receiver for is its WiFi connection to my home network where I have a server with 400 Gb of MP3 files. I do not have a TV connected to it; so, I'm really flying blind if I try to make any adjustments. I do use the Onkyo Remote app on my phone to control the limited functions that I use.

I would like to be able to boost the bass a bit. The Polk's are nice, but I'd like a little more bottom end.

I have downloaded both the Basic and Advanced Owner's Manuals and gone through them multiple times. It appears to me that if I am using the Net input, the tone controls are disabled. Is that the case? Or do I have to do some kind of setup on the receiver?

If I do need to do some setup (which will mean video), will the HDMI output work with a computer monitor with HDMI input or do I have to use a TV with all the copy protection circuitry on it?

You could try it

Seriously, everything you're suggesting should work; using a monitor with HDMI input to view the settings. Either bring it out to the Onkyo, or drag the Onkyo to the monitor. If it doesn't work, you'll already have the Onkyo near the monitor, so you can plug into a TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
55La9700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page