Official Pioneer SC/89/87/85/82/81 & VSX-80/44 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #1 of 792 Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sc-82

As of today Best Buy does have the VSX 80 and 44.

The Higher lines SC 89/87/85 are 9.2 models offering
the Dolby ATMOS.
If I read it right the atmos is a firmware update later
this year.

Last edited by MarkB49; 07-04-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: some of these guys wanted me to change it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 792 Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

reserved

Last edited by MarkB49; 07-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #3 of 792 Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 3242
Mark - there are significant differences between these receivers - especially the 85, 87 and 89. One thread fits all isn't going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 792 Old 07-02-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Mark - there are significant differences between these receivers - especially the 85, 87 and 89. One thread fits all isn't going to work.
Really
If you dig around on some of these topics,folks talk about any and everything.
However
listing all the SC series looks pretty good for a company
that was suppose to be out of the HT receiver biz.
post #5 of 792 Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Early this AM, when I saw your thread, I didn't want to dampen your enthusiasm because you took the initiative in starting this.

But I have to agree with smurraybhm.

Usually, there are several "official" threads for new AVR models. For Pioneer, they tend to go as non-Elites, the Elite VSX models, then the lower couple of SC models, and then the upper SC models. Some threads have models lumped together, like Yamaha's Aventage's, some don't. It just depends on the thread starter and how many folks gravitate to a catch-all thread

In my years here, Pioneer & Denon/Marantz threads seem to be more broken out by performance levels, and most of the time, the top or top 2 models have their own threads (Denon AVP, Denon 5308, 4311, 4520, Marantz AV8801, Pioneer SC-09TX, SC-07/05, SC-27/25, SC-68/67, etc)

From a performance, features standpoint, there are big differences between the "groupings". From # of channels to speaker configurations, to amp designs, unique features that the top models have, such as USB-DAC support, and now, much more so than previously, different versions of MCACC room EQ/calibration. Plus the biggie in 2014 is receivers with Atmos vs. those without.

For example, the VSX models have conventional class A/B amps, the SC models have class D chip amps, unique to Pioneer's implementation. There will be a whole lot of Atmos discussion that will not pertain at all to owners of the lower VSX models other than to make them envious

The SC models with Atmos aren't going to be available for several months anyway.

I respectfully suggest that your thread may be a good start for general pre-launch or VSX specific discussions. See how much discussion gets going.

Just be aware that when the time comes that someone has an SC-89, 87, 85 or 81 in their setup, I can almost guarantee there will be other "Official" threads started for specific SC models

You may not be aware that nearly all Pioneer AVR Atmos discussion has been in the SC-LX88 (european version of the SC-89) thread started when info was leaked. All the technical discussion has been there plus posts from Walkamo @ Pioneer US.

Hope this makes sense. But see how this thread goes for posts & discussion

edit - mark, see what I mean:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...rs-thread.html

this one was already started just for the vsx-80 on 6-10-14. there will be others for each model or pair of models.
smurraybhm and Perpendicular like this.

Steve
post #6 of 792 Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I agree. You may want to change the Thread title to the official 85/87/89 Thread if, like me, one of these models you are most interested in, etc.
smurraybhm likes this.
post #7 of 792 Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I agree. You may want to change the Thread title to the official 85/87/89 Thread if, like me, one of these models you are most interested in, etc.
Looking for something to replace my dearly departed Pioneer Elite 59TXi - Center/L/R channels basically gone suddenly. The Pioneer Elite sc-87 looks kind of affordable and seemingly available locally next week (I had thought mid-October).

I had been looking at the Denon x5200w and Yamaha RX-a3030, all about the same price and available fairly soon. Would like to stick with Pioneer Elite, and the sc-87 looks like a pretty good replacement (the sc-89 is too much $$$).

Has anyone seen an sc-87 in the wild yet? Not much written about them.

Larry
post #8 of 792 Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Because there aren't in the wild yet
post #9 of 792 Old 08-28-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Because there aren't in the wild yet
Yeah, I figured. I was startled, STARTLED, I TELL YOU, when my local Magnolia Design center guy told me (in hushed tones with furtive glances) that he had an sc-85 in store NOW that was new-in-box but was for store display, and would be willing to sell me TODAY if I wanted it 'cause he was getting more in next week... And also an sc-89... sc-87s next week as well but not today.

The sc-89 would more on par with the 59TXi I have/had, but I can't see spending $3k on it. Even $2k is a stretch...

So, that's why I pondered about said receivers in the wild... I could have had an sc-85 in hand today, but had to research it a bit more - had given up on them because they seemed due out in late October (according to Amazon).

Larry
post #10 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post
Yeah, I figured. I was startled, STARTLED, I TELL YOU, when my local Magnolia Design center guy told me (in hushed tones with furtive glances) that he had an sc-85 in store NOW that was new-in-box but was for store display, and would be willing to sell me TODAY if I wanted it 'cause he was getting more in next week... And also an sc-89... sc-87s next week as well but not today.

The sc-89 would more on par with the 59TXi I have/had, but I can't see spending $3k on it. Even $2k is a stretch...

So, that's why I pondered about said receivers in the wild... I could have had an sc-85 in hand today, but had to research it a bit more - had given up on them because they seemed due out in late October (according to Amazon).

Larry
The Best Buy guy may have been correct. I got an email from Pioneer announcing the availability of both the Elite receivers and speakers. They can now be ordered from Pioneer direct. Yesterday afternoon there were no ordering instructions on their US site. I imagine they will be up for sale on authorized retailers' sites/stores shortly. Chris Walker had said last week they had started shipping. Now I have to decide what Atmos receiver to order, Denon or Pioneer.
post #11 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM

sc-85 or sc-87? And Wireless adaptor?

Quote:
The Best Buy guy may have been correct. I got an email from Pioneer announcing the availability of both the Elite receivers and speakers. They can now be ordered from Pioneer direct. Yesterday afternoon there were no ordering instructions on their US site. I imagine they will be up for sale on authorized retailers' sites/stores shortly. Chris Walker had said last week they had started shipping. Now I have to decide what Atmos receiver to order, Denon or Pioneer.
That's good to hear... I had been completely out of the market until my receiver died... Kind of lost touch.

Looking at the specs for the Pioneer Elite sc-85 and sc-87, I'm kind of debating the advantages of the sc-87... Not sure it offers much that would make a difference to me for $400 more... Minimal extra power - 5 w/ channel- Air Studio certification (the best thing, I think), but the same DACs, MACC Pro and other features... Am I missing something?

I was surprised to see that they don't have WiFi built in... And I'm reading that the Pioneer accessory (AS-WL 300) isn't too good. Is the Netgear WNCE 2001 the preferred adaptor?

What are people thinking- sc-85 or sc-87? The sc-89 is out of my price range...

Will probably order one from Magnolia this weekend...

Larry
post #12 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 815
post #13 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In my opinion the SC-87 is the best bang for the buck. Slightly more power (40 watts total all channels) with SC-89; precision measuring system for MCAAC (I don't need to get down to a half inch), HTBase and the asynchronous USB connection are the only differences. Since I won't need the last two, which would be the reason for going with the 89 unless you just want the flagship model, the SC-87 looks like a good buy at hundreds less. Air Studio cert is important to me, thus one reason out of a few more that I would move up from the SC-85 for an additional $500.

The even bigger unanswered question is if there are any differences between the 3 regarding what channels can be used in what mode, most important one being Atmos since that will be a major reason for most of us upgrading this year. Manuals will help us figure that out.
post #14 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Wse - AMAZING speaker setup! Puts my 7.1 Energy Veritas system to shame... Think I'll burn them in a fit of self-loathing and sorrow... Nah, I like them...hehe.. But seriously, those B&W speakers are amazing- looks and sound!

The Pioneer speaker you referenced- is that how you're going to deal with the Atmos additional speaker requirements? I was thinking of adding two smaller speakers added on top of my surrounds. I bet some companies will come out with just that kind of thing... Maybe even Energy...

Larry
post #15 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ See Atlantic Tech as one example, modules are $499. As you said, others will follow. Personally I will be going with two modules after I buy the receiver. Still not convinced that using some old speakers strategically placed may not work either. We will only know once there is a Atmos release on blu-ray.
post #16 of 792 Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
^ See Atlantic Tech as one example, modules are $499. As you said, others will follow. Personally I will be going with two modules after I buy the receiver. Still not convinced that using some old speakers strategically placed may not work either. We will only know once there is a Atmos release on blu-ray.
Wonder how long before the Blu-Ray discs hit...

I actually had a really nice HD-DVD collection- bet on the wrong HD format... And DVD-audio now that I think about it... Still like the DVD-A discs. Never got into SACD. I am apparently not good at selecting a disc format - Have a decent collection of Blu-Ray discs now- even enjoy (gasp) 3D...

Does that get me banned from the site?
post #17 of 792 Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It's a good thing this thread is still for all the Elites because the whole Class D3 Vs. Class A/B has got me torn between the SC-81 and VSX-80. My priority is a smooth frequency response from 20-20000Hz, and below and above that if possible, without applying MCACC/EQ/Bass/Trebel cutting/boosting. In fact, I plan on using the Pure Direct mode. I'd hate to think that Pioneer would make us pay extra and give up tone quality for higher effitiency. I hope this isn't the equivalent of replacing the quality of plasma panels with the effitiency of LCD panels!

Last edited by Big C; 09-02-2014 at 09:30 PM.
post #18 of 792 Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My local magnolia dealer dropped the ball and as a result I ended up with a vsx-80 at a lot less than vsx-1124k price. So I'm still trying to learn some of its features. My main questions are these.

What's the difference between the vsx-80 and vsx-1124k?
I'm trying to stream dlna content to the unit but it says decoder error on most videos, what codec do I need to encode things in?
And lastly, are the two sub outputs independently controlled?

I've looked and googled without luck on these, and have had no luck getting the answers.
post #19 of 792 Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Basically a year longer in the warranty department.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post25829585

And I suggest a reading of their white paper on MCAAC - you'll fin fit useful.

Last edited by smurraybhm; 09-03-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #20 of 792 Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
While the manufacturers want to make money, they might be clearer about the pros and cons than I thought. For example, Samsung says that plasma TVs offer high contrast and rich color, while LCD TVs are efficient and work well in bright rooms. I just read some product detail pages and played some youtube videos by Pioneer Electronics (Pioneer USA). After everyone bought into the efficiency of LCD TVs, as well as the fact that they work well in bright rooms, Pioneer could have made good on the fact that you'd save your electric bill if you spend a little extra on a receiver with Class D3 amps. However, before Pioneer even mentions efficiency, they explain how Class D3 amps further show off high-resolution audio formats, both in dynamic range and in frequency response. Also, unlike previous Class D implementations, they state that their Class D3 amps don't use electromagnetic interferance filters, feedback loops, and current limiting. Considering that wide frequency response and wide dynamic range are my priority over volume, I have good reason to be convinced to go for the SC-81. If there is an SC-81 thread, I'll see you there. If not, I'll be sticking around here some more.

Last edited by Big C; 09-05-2014 at 06:10 AM.
post #21 of 792 Old 09-18-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 672
I'll be getting my non-prototype (read: retail version) of SC-85 in a couple of weeks. Anybody ordered theirs yet? Am I missing anything by buying the SC-85? I don't need phono input (I already have a phono pre-amp), don't need USB DAC, and don't need HD-BaseT.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #22 of 792 Old 09-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The SC-87 has more power... If you don't need it I think you'll be happy
post #23 of 792 Old 09-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Thanks. Power wise, the front LR I'm using Parasound and only use the internal amps for centre, rear and Atmos speakers. Plus my room is only 10x16x8

my home theatre
post #24 of 792 Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Has anyone gotten an SC-85 yet? What are your impressions?
post #25 of 792 Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Got sc-85 from bestbuy magnolia

Got sc-85 fro BB magnolia, I want to replace Yamaha rxv1700 with yamaha A2040 but the guys at BB strongly suggested to get pioneer, I did not read much bad about pioneer line on SC avrs either, overall it took me an hour to make connection, poor documentation and instruction was obvious every one will notice, went with online setup with my Mac. It was easy but not having a printed back panel made it very challenging, the auto calibration brodyce very low sound output so I am in process of tweaking it, I have 5.2 setup, there are no codes in harmony world for sc85 so I used sc75 it works for now, but need to waste more time to update it, first impression of SQ is good up scaling my DTv is nice also, it think it is decent AVR.
There are many features in this Avr, I will be on forum to learn how to use them more effectively.
post #26 of 792 Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Set the audio upscaler to 4x upsampling (no need to change the bitrate) the sound will be smoother.

Change the D. Filter to Slow for a more analog sounding sound.

my home theatre
post #27 of 792 Old 09-28-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Just got the atmos firmware for my sc-87, and watched The Raid 2, with dolby upmixer.
All I can say is OMG....

it was very much improved over standard 7.1 I use to run.

I decided to run 5.2.4 config.
With side surrounds klipsch rs42 II about 2-3 feet above my head. I hate speakers close to me, it takes away the bubble.
And I mounted 4 klipsch rs42 II to the ceiling. 2 are 3.5 feet in front of my main listening position, and the rear 2 are about same behind me

I mounted speakers from their tops to the ceiling.

All I can say is WOW. my ceiling disappeared. And room got bigger. Sound was coming from all over.
Now to watch a real atmos mix Tuesday..
post #28 of 792 Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Still waiting for my SC-85. I read the manual,but it doesn't seem to allow 5.1.2. Yet my room won't allow me to do 5.1.4. Can this receiver downscale it to 5.1.2?

my home theatre
post #29 of 792 Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Still waiting for my SC-85. I read the manual,but it doesn't seem to allow 5.1.2. Yet my room won't allow me to do 5.1.4. Can this receiver downscale it to 5.1.2?
I beleive if you select the 7.1.2 amp assign, you can turn off the speakers you don't have. So you can say you have 5.1 and top middle.
post #30 of 792 Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
I beleive if you select the 7.1.2 amp assign, you can turn off the speakers you don't have. So you can say you have 5.1 and top middle.
How does the SC-85 handle normal 5.1 and 7.1 tracks as it relates to an Atmos setup? I am assuming it upconverts?
Currently have 7.1 setup utilizing 2 ceiling speakers as surrounds and deciding whether to go 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 when adding my other pair of ceiling speakers. Picking up the SC-85 tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page