AVS Forum banner

Classe Sigma Series

60K views 418 replies 57 participants last post by  sohe68 
#1 ·
Sigma Series

Classé Audio

"Classé Audio make some of the finest hi-fi components in the world. However, for most people, they are prohibitively expensive. The Sigma Series has been developed to offer the acoustic quality that Classé is famous for, but at a (slightly) more affordable price. Beyond price, the Sigma Series offers a host of other improvements. The most significant one from a user or installer point of view is that the components have been designed to sit equally well in a room or in a rack. For rack-mounting, the side panels are easily repositioned to provide the panel-mounts. The volume knob is flush to the front fascia to ensure there are no clashes with rack door panels. For more information about the features and acoustic performance contact Classé."

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
RIP Classé, a used Canada made Delta series is about as far as I would venture.

#9 ·
Sigma series

When is the Sigma Series going to be made available? I am just building my new system and would like to consider them.My latest acquisition were a pair of Wilsons. I have heard the Classe Sigma might be a good match.

I am looking at October 2014 for amp and preamp. Will the Sigmas be available by then?

Thanks ... I always like to hear your thoughts.

#10 ·
When is the Sigma Series going to be made available? I am just building my new system and would like to consider them.My latest acquisition were a pair of Wilsons. I have heard the Classe Sigma might be a good match.

I am looking at October 2014 for amp and preamp. Will the Sigmas be available by then?

Thanks ... I always like to hear your thoughts.
Based on what Classe rep told me when I call them "yes", first they'll show it at CEDIA, then they'll release it.

#11 ·
Sharok, thanks for the information .... I look forward to hearing more about it when it becomes available. I hear good things about Classe so I am hoping the Sigma series is as good as it sounds.

again, thanks .... I will be checking back here to see what you all hear.

#12 ·
I hope we wont be disappointed and it's gonna be a decent processor like SSP-800.

#15 ·
Classé's New Sigma-Series Processor and Amps

Classé, which is a subsidiary of loudspeaker manufacturer Bowers & Wilkins, has announced the new Sigma-series components. The line is comprised of the Sigma SSP surround processor, Amp2 stereo amplifier, and Amp5 five-channel amplifier. The amplifiers are both rated to deliver 200Wpc into 8 ohms. In the company’s September 10 press release Classé’s president, Dave Nauber, states: “High end is about passion, discovery, experience and technical exploration. It’s not just who can make the most expensive things. Making more affordable products that are truly high end is a greater challenge, which is why there is a gap in the market between offerings from the mass-market CE companies and the high-end brands. We chose to exploit our cost advantage as part of the B&W Group to fill this void with some exceptional new products.”

The Sigma SSP will carry a retail price of $5000 in the United States when it becomes available in October. According to the press release: “The Sigma SSP has been optimized as a high-performance stereo preamp/processor with video switching, multichannel processing and bass management included. Connections for USB and Ethernet streaming augment the basic HDMI, coax, and optical digital inputs. Balanced and single-ended analog inputs, including an optional phono stage, make the Sigma SSP a truly versatile preamp/processor.“

The press release also states that “the amplifier models are derived from their breakthrough Delta-series CA-D200; a Class D topology that addresses the problem of dead-band-time -- the time when both halves of the amplifier are off -- once thought to be the Achilles’ heel of class-D designs. The Classé solution achieves an astonishingly low 3-nanosecond dead-band-time, dramatically lowering distortion and enabling numerous other design advantages. The result is said to be superbly musical sonic performance along with other class-D benefits like small size, low heat dissipation and high efficiency.”

The Amp2 and Amp5 will retail for $3500 and $5000, respectively, and will also be available in October. All three Sigma products will make their debuts at CEDIA Expo 2014, held September 10-13 in Denver, CO, USA.
Classé website

#21 ·
It's now November 23 and wondering if anyone has received their new Sigma's yet, and if so what are your thoughts?

#26 ·
My local dealer now has the Sigma SSP and AMP5 in, and I'll be going in this weekend to audition. I'm specifically bringing in my Classe CAP-2100 to see how the SSP performs in 2 channel versus my current integrated. If it's at least on par with the 2100, I'll make the switch to the SSP. If not, I'll upgrade my current DAC and add an external surround receiver for movies.

#28 ·
I just replaced my SSP-75 with a Sigma SSP. I demoed both the Sigma and SSP-800 at home with my existing equipment (thanks to Modia Home Theater in Austin, TX). Focused mainly on two-channel stereo bypass with all digital processing disabled. The difference between the Sigma and the SSP-800 and SSP-75 was pretty easy to spot. The Sigma had a deeper soundstage, more presence and sounded more 'alive'. Granted, all three sounded quite good, but the Sigma was the clear winner. The source was a Slim Devices Transporter connected to the pre/pro via balanced interconnect (using the DAC in the Transporter). We also did some testing using the DAC in the Sigma, but found the Transporter DAC to have a more natural and enveloping sound. Definitely more listening to be done to compare various signal paths.

Didn't do any direct A/B comparison of movies and other multi-channel audio between the Sigma and the SSP-800, but Bluray (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA) sounded considerably better through the Sigma via HDMI than through the SSP-75 via SPDIF, as should be expected.

I haven't encountered any major bugs in the Sigma firmware, but it could use some more customizable features from the SSP-800 such as control of the on-screen display when changing volume/source/etc - currently it always pops up when anything changes. SSP-800 customizability wins hands-down here. The Classe iPhone app is almost useless - it doesn't even show the right sources, so switching inputs using it is impossible. Volume control and the Remote screen does work. The included Sigma remote was disappointing as it doesn't even generate all the IR commands that are available. Thankfully Logitech was very responsive when I sent the complete IR PDF from Classe to them - the next day they had created a Sigma SSP device for me to test - a few tweaks and it all works.

Airplay works fine, but it's only audio, not video. Not a big deal, but I was a bit surprised at the limitation.

I initially had some issues with a Playstation 3 connected via HDMI, but the issue turned out to be a setting in the Playstation (Deep Color had been enabled). Flipping the setting fixed it right up.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. The sound quality and build appears to be what one expects from Classe.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Associated equipment:

Slim Devices Transporter
Oppo BDP-83 Bluray
DirecTV HR44 DVR
AppleTV
Playstation 3
Classe CA-201 amp (front)
Classe CA-75 amp (center bi-amped, rear bridged)
Mirage OM-6 fronts
Mirage OM-C2 center
Mirage OM-R5 rears
Nordost interconnects and speaker cables
Panasonic AE-2000U projector
Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen
Sunfire True Subwoofer Mk II (used only for LFE)

#29 ·
The Classe iPhone app is almost useless - it doesn't even show the right sources, so switching inputs using it is impossible. Volume control and the Remote screen does work. The included Sigma remote was disappointing as it doesn't even generate all the IR commands that are available. Thankfully Logitech was very responsive when I sent the complete IR PDF from Classe to them - the next day they had created a Sigma SSP device for me to test - a few tweaks and it all works.
I was afraid of this. Most of the control apps from any manufacture are disappointing. I think many lack the software and design talent to pull it off. What model remote to you recommend?

Airplay works fine, but it's only audio, not video. Not a big deal, but I was a bit surprised at the limitation.
AFAIK, All processors / receivers are audio only for Airplay. AppleTV seems required for video. I'm not sure why they bother with the feature.

I initially had some issues with a Playstation 3 connected via HDMI, but the issue turned out to be a setting in the Playstation (Deep Color had been enabled). Flipping the setting fixed it right up.
Does this mean deep color is not supported? Any other audio pops or HDMI handshake issues? I'm having a lot of trouble with an Anthem and I'm worried about switching to another boutique brand.

#35 ·
Yes - it has a single Coax Digital output, as well as HDMI out. There is no second zone support.

The Sigma has a parametric EQ with up to nine filters for each speaker channel as well as a simple tone control, but no automatic room calibration (Audessey, Dirac, etc.). I'm not using the EQ features, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

#36 ·
Classe has released a firmware update for the Sigma SSP with the following changes:

 Fixed Input offset
 Fixed Noise generator for 2.0 and 2.1 configurations and fixed the subW which was active on small
channels.
 Fixed Tone control to retain current settings through a power and standby cycle
 Fixed eBass issue where the subW would turn off with all small configuration and eBass enabled
 Fixed ip control for tone
 Fixed loss of video status when switching between sources with the same video format.
 Fixed audio artifacts generated when muting and unmuting
 Fixed audio artifacts when switching from rear USB to front USB
 Changed the factory default for main speakers to large for all configurations
 Added OSD controls and vertical OSD shift
 Added Pink Noise generator for EQ setup.
 Added Automation status controls (STAT) for Volume, Configuration, Mode, Power, Audio and Video
 Added Automation wake on input change
 Added screens for OSD controls and OSD vertical shift
 Adjusted page title centering for pages with more buttons
 Changed button placement on discrete tone control page
 Fixed lip sync page to allow visual button hit when using remote control
 Fixed EDID generator to properly address CEC
 Fixed default EDID
 Fixed ARC
 Fixed TX audio for 2D source material
 Fixed deep color support

Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to the control of OSD display. This may also fix the issue I came across with my PS3 not syncing video when Deep Color is enabled.

#37 ·
The firmware update did indeed fix the HDMI Deep Color issue I had experienced.

The update also gives full control over what events cause the On-Screen Display to be trigged (much like that of the SSP-800).

Update took about 10 minutes - there was little feedback from the SSP during the update (nothing displayed on the screen).

#39 ·
Demoed both at home back-to-back. Found that the Sigma had a bit more detail and sounded "clearer" for lack of a better word. The overall sound was similar - not too warm and not too bright - but the Sigma was just a bit tighter in the bass, smoother in the mids and cleaner in the highs. The SSP-800 sounded just like our current SSP-75, so other than getting HDMI switching and new multi-channel formats there was no real up-side.

The Sigma was new out of the box and the SSP-800 was an older model (version 2) with old firmware and had been used as a store demo for a couple of years. The main signal paths tested were balanced analog input to balanced outputs with all processing and DSP functions disabled. Also tried Coax digital input from the same source but liked the internal DAC of the source (SlimDevices Transporter) better. Didn't do any critical listening of multi-channel sources.

For us, it was pretty clear that the Sigma was the winner - we bought it. There were a few firmware bugs and missing features, but the first Classe update fixed those.

other equipment:
Classe CA-200 amp (fronts)
Classe CAV-75 (center bi-amped, rears bridged)
Mirage OM-6 fronts
Mirage OM-C2 center
Mirage OM-R2 rears
Sunfire TrueSub Mk II (LFE only)
Nordost SPM/Red Dawn interconnects and speaker cables

#40 ·
wow thats surprising. I would have asusmed Classe would purposely make the Sigma less of a performer then the 800. I supposed lots is subjective, but interesting nonetheless.

How warm does the Sigma get? Could you see it in a place will limited breathing room? What amp are you using?

#41 ·
We were surprised as well - we really wanted to like the SSP-800 more, but didn't.

The Sigma stays quite cool - power consumption is spec'd at 35W, so it really can't get very warm. We use a Classe CA-200 amp for the fronts and a CAV-75 for the center (bi-amped using two channels) and rears (bridged pairs). The CA-200 consumes 200W idle, so it gets pretty warm doing nothing, while the CAV-75 stays cool even when loaded. All are on independent shelves in an open cabinet with no sides or back.

Classe designed the Sigma line to run cool so that you can stack the SSP directly on top of the matching amps. Personally I'm not really onboard the whole class-D amp bandwagon, but Classe claims to have gotten it right.

#46 ·
They're certainly not trying to control the universal remote market, or the iPhone control app business. The Classe iPhone app is borderline useless - it doesn't even show the input list correctly - definitely not a part of the project that received significant engineering time. As for the included remote, it's functional in that it turns the unit on and off, controls volume, lets you navigate the menu system enough to get started, but is not likely to be used beyond that. My guess is that most uses of this type of equipment use a Harmony-like programmable remote or some other form of control (e.g. Control4, Crestron, Xantech, etc.). Personally, I use a Harmony Touch - it's flexible and customizable enough. Classe does provide a PDF of all the IR codes known to the Sigma, and Logitech was very accommodating in adding the device (less than 24 hour turnaround), and correcting a few errors in the buttons.

#47 ·
That is true. When you use apps to control AV products it becomes a PITA going back and forth between apps of different devices and different manufacturers. Beyond using IR codes, there are other things you can control and receive like volume ramp speeds, device state and other data. I've started to notice that many manufacturers are starting to build control drivers and modules as a selling tool to sell their products.

#55 ·
The Delta series is much better looking then sigma. As much as I want the sigma to look as it it just doesnt, and for me at the high end things need to look as good as they sound.

Its to bad they didnt keep the delta look through out. Its Classe's signature much like McIntosh has its signature look.

#66 ·
I just got the announcement for Music Matters at Definitive Audio in Seattle (http://www.definitive.com/mm10/mm10.html), and there will be a demonstration of the new Classe Sigma MONO amp. I haven't heard anything about them yet, but I assume they will also be Class D circuitry.

#71 ·
Any word on DTS-X or Dolby Atmos?

Just curious to see if and when both DTS-X and Dolby Atmos will be added. I understand that Classe has a good reputation in terms of upgrades to exisiting processors but it would great to hear something official

#83 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.