Owners thread for the Sony MDR-HW700DS - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #211 of 241 Old 12-17-2018, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am looking for 2 headphones for me and my wife so we can watch movies in the evening with the best experience possible. I am using Nvidia Shield and 4k TV. As far as I understand, the box of MDR-HW700DS is not capable of 4k pass through. I also understand that I need a Japanese version of these in order to use 2 headphones paired with one box.

Has anyone achieved 4k pass through with this Vertex of AVR key thingy, perhaps something like this would suffice? I checked briefly (Vertex) and it does not seem a plug and play product with some different configs etc. I want to keep things simple before spending $500 for 2 pairs. I obviously do not want to lose 4k capability of my TV and Shield.

Is there any other surround headset that you would recommend? I was going to order Sennheiser RS 175 RF with additional headset. It seems however that in order to get it connected to the Shield, I would need to get hdmi to optical splitter. I am not sure if be doing so I would get the best possible experience. Is optical inferior to hdmi in passing through the latest audio codecs (lossless)?

I should have mentioned that I already have Turtle Beach Elite 800X (DTS X) and Astro A50 3rd Gen. Both are surround. I may use them but I would need to get: hdmi to optical splitter and then optical to 2x optical splitter in order to use both at the same time. I am not sure if I like the idea of that many splitters and the concern of not supporting latest lossless codecs still remain with this setup.

Last edited by Singha; 12-17-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 241 Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singha View Post
Is there any other surround headset that you would recommend?
Smyth A16 Realizer would be perfect for you and your wife. Unfortunately 4k passthrough for two people would also cost around 4k in $$$. Though it should be possible to use with your existing headphones. This is the only solution I'm aware of at the moment. The MDR-700DS can actually pass 4k, just not for framerates 30hz or greater. That's a dealbreaker for many people.

Quote:
I would need to get hdmi to optical splitter. I am not sure if be doing so I would get the best possible experience. Is optical inferior to hdmi in passing through the latest audio codecs (lossless)?
Although an HDMI 2.0 compliant splitter would have no issue handling 4k and hi-res surround, SPDIF/optical predates blu-ray, so it can't pass newer codecs like DTS-HD, DD+, or TrueHD even if decoded beforehand. It can however bitstream DTS & AC3. Personally I use optical HDMI - Best of both worlds.

Last edited by JC Denton; 01-14-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #213 of 241 Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Isn't it about time this model was replaced or at least updated to: HDR, Atmos, eARC, Dolby Vision, Remote control. I've had mine for four years, and although they've been great they're a bit long in the tooth now. C'mon Sony, you make some of the best wireless headphones, don't get left behind on this one.

Last edited by Self-Righteous; 01-17-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 241 Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM

I just bought them x2, so I would be pissed if Sony would release something right now

On a side note, is there any way to keep the decoder running 24/7? Currently it switches off automatically if there is no activity from headphones after few mins it seems.
post #215 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hi guys , I'm gonna buy this headphone soon but I have some questions :
first i'm using it for movies and games , mainly pc games so i'm gonna play on 4k 60hz on my 55 inch tv and aslo for 4k HDR movies with atmos and dolby format, now my questions are :
- how can i connect my pc to the reciever of the headphone so that i can play and also watch 4k movies for transmit the audio ?
- also my ps4 how can i connect it ?
i'm thinking of buying a fiber HDMI so that it could transmit 4k 60hz hdr content (games and movies) because the distant between my pc and tv is about 20 feet so where i'm supposed to connect that to tv or headphone reciever ?
thank you .
post #216 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 AM

@Hardlu AVR Key to split audio / video as HW700DS won't pass 4k60.

I wonder if there is any way to check battery level? I have two pairs but already came across situations where while I was watching with my wife, one of the headphone's battery has been exhausted. Not an ideal scenario.

1. Does charging works while listening? Powerbank would be a solution here.
2. Does constantly charging the headset ruins its battery? I can connect both headsets after watching to make sure they are ready for next usage but I don't want to kill the battery too fast either.
post #217 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
@Hardlu AVR Key to split audio / video as HW700DS won't pass 4k60.

I wonder if there is any way to check battery level? I have two pairs but already came across situations where while I was watching with my wife, one of the headphone's battery has been exhausted. Not an ideal scenario.

1. Does charging works while listening? Powerbank would be a solution here.
2. Does constantly charging the headset ruins its battery? I can connect both headsets after watching to make sure they are ready for next usage but I don't want to kill the battery too fast either.
you mean I can't watch 4k 60hz content with this headphone ?
can you tell me where should I connect pc and other devices ? I don't have an answer for you're qusetions
thanks .
post #218 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlu View Post
you mean I can't watch 4k 60hz content with this headphone ?
can you tell me where should I connect pc and other devices ? I don't have an answer for you're qusetions
thanks .
No, you can't unless you use audio / video splitter like AVR Key. I assume you connect your PC to the HW700DS receiver via HDMI and then from the receiver to your pc monitor via HDMI as well.
post #219 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
No, you can't unless you use audio / video splitter like AVR Key. I assume you connect your PC to the HW700DS receiver via HDMI and then from the receiver to your pc monitor via HDMI as well.
how can I use the AVR key ? can you tell me the connection please .
post #220 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
how can I use the AVR key ? can you tell me the connection please .
PC HDMI OUT -> AVR Key HDMI IN
AVR Key HDMI AUDIO OUT -> HW700DS HDMI IN
AVR Key HDMI VIDEO OUT -> Display HDMI IN

But please read the thread about AVR Key. It says 4k60 video is going to be supported by it 3-5 hours after which some small split second dropout may be noticed (I guess due to overheating). So for extensive usage of 4k60 they suggest buying the Integral 2, but it is $250 ($100 more than AVR Key).
post #221 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
PC HDMI OUT -> AVR Key HDMI IN
AVR Key HDMI AUDIO OUT -> HW700DS HDMI IN
AVR Key HDMI VIDEO OUT -> Display HDMI IN

But please read the thread about AVR Key. It says 4k60 video is going to be supported by it 3-5 hours after which some small split second dropout may be noticed (I guess due to overheating). So for extensive usage of 4k60 they suggest buying the Integral 2, but it is $250 ($100 more than AVR Key).
there are a lot of complication and I don't want that , what do you suggest for an alternative headsphones for movies and games at the same time ?
astro A50 gen 3 for an example ?
post #222 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
there are a lot of complication and I don't want that , what do you suggest for an alternative headsphones for movies and games at the same time ?
Apart from the expense of buying the splitter, it is not complicated. I did it with my Nvidia Shield.

I have A50 gen 3 and it has only optical audio. That means movies with the 7.1 DTS-HD, TrueHD codecs etc won't work, as optical audio is max DD 5.1 - which you may be fine with. A50 gen 3 is also LESS comfortable than Sony. As it has been concluded before, there is nothing better on the market right now for ultra surround experience with HD audio codecs compatibility. The ideal scenario would be if Sony upgraded this model to support 4k60 but I am not sure if it is going to happen.
post #223 of 241 Old 03-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Apart from the expense of buying the splitter, it is not complicated. I did it with my Nvidia Shield.

I have A50 gen 3 and it has only optical audio. That means movies with the 7.1 DTS-HD, TrueHD codecs etc won't work, as optical audio is max DD 5.1 - which you may be fine with. A50 gen 3 is also LESS comfortable than Sony. As it has been concluded before, there is nothing better on the market right now for ultra surround experience with HD audio codecs compatibility. The ideal scenario would be if Sony upgraded this model to support 4k60 but I am not sure if it is going to happen.
at least with the astro a50 gen 3 I can play 4k/60 games from pc and also dolby will work , i henstly don't care about 7.1 DTS-HD, TrueHD codecs i just need the picture (4k\60 hdr) display correct with good sound that's all , is it suitable for me or not ? what is you're opinion ?
post #224 of 241 Old 03-16-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

what if i use optical audio with sony headphone ?
where shuold I connect pc and ps4 ?
what are the scenario that will work for me and things "as audio support" that not gonna work ?
thanks .
post #225 of 241 Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Getting sound from Oppo 203?

Hi everyone.Is there a way I can use the second HDMI output on the Oppo 203 to get sound from these headphones?I currently have secondary audio running ro my amp and the first HDMI plugged into my Denon amp, which has 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision passthrough.If I turned off secondary audio, would the sound still come out of the headphones?

Last edited by chuffsteruk; 03-18-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #226 of 241 Old 04-22-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi al,
I’m from Italy and at first apologize for my not fluent English.
I have an Home Theater setup made by a Marantz NR1607 AVR, a MediaPlayer running LibreELEC, a PS4 and a Sony UDP x800. The sources are connected to the AVR through HDMI cables, and the AVR is connected to a Sony 4K tv via HDMI-ARC port of the tv. The AVR is obviously HDCP 2.2 enabled, so I use only one HDMI cable to connect the x800 to it, in order to playback 4K protected disks.

In the TV, pressing the “source” button on the top-left corner in the remote, I can see all the sources connected to the AVR ( even if there’s only one cable physically connected to the TV), and selecting one of them, the device automatically switch on and the AVR input source is changed to it.
Moreover, if I press the Netflix button on the TV remote, the AVR switch to “TV Audio” source and the audio flows from the TV to the AVR ( in DD+ !!!)

I’m searching an headset to play movies trying to emulate the 5.1 system, and the Sony HW700 seems to be the only choice.

I have three questions:
1) Adding the headphone in the AV chain, should I continue to see and select the sources on the TV menu? (in other words, the processor is transparent as the AVR?)
2) I suppose no chance to passthrough HDR video , being the processor only HDMI 1.3 capable... is it correct? To bypass this limitation, I suppose that I’d use a separate HDMI cable for the video signal from the x800 to the TV... sob :-(
3) Any alternative on the market to the HW700? Rumors about an HDCP2.2 enabled model from Sony?

Thanks in advance
Andrea
post #227 of 241 Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
If you are like me and you like everything going thru your Denon as usual you can go the route I did. I bought these Monoprice HDMI splitters for each device I actually use the headphones for; PS4 (for games/blurays) and my Wii U. Link below:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

So each device's HDMI out is going to the IN on the HDMI splitter. And then I have 1 OUT on the splitter going to the usual spot on the Denon and the other #2 OUT on the splitter going to the Headphone's receiver. Best of both world's. The splitter I posted the link to is cheap and 4K/3D compatible. Just keep in mind you'll also need to get some of their cheap HDMI cables since you'll need a few more for this setup and buy another power strip if you need since each splitter will need to be plugged in
Hi, I'm more or less in the same situation (see my previous post above). So, I'm not sure to have understood, you suggest to duplicate the HDMI signal from every source, and then put one in the AVR (as usual..) and one in the headphone processor. In this way you manage the AVR and the processor in a completely independent way.
How it works daily? So, if I use the AVR , the headphone processor shall be turned off? Instead, using the processor (AFAIK it's enough to wear the headphone to turn it on..?) , I suppose to select the source from the processor front panel (for the audio) and from the AVR (from the video)? I don't understand how to manage the audio stream the anyway flows to the AVR...shall I to mute the AVR?

thanks
Andrea
post #228 of 241 Old 04-23-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancio61 View Post
Hi, I'm more or less in the same situation (see my previous post above). So, I'm not sure to have understood, you suggest to duplicate the HDMI signal from every source, and then put one in the AVR (as usual..) and one in the headphone processor. In this way you manage the AVR and the processor in a completely independent way.

How it works daily? So, if I use the AVR , the headphone processor shall be turned off? Instead, using the processor (AFAIK it's enough to wear the headphone to turn it on..?) , I suppose to select the source from the processor front panel (for the audio) and from the AVR (from the video)? I don't understand how to manage the audio stream the anyway flows to the AVR...shall I to mute the AVR?

thanks

Andrea
I'm sorry I no longer use these headphones. They were a great product, but I am no longer familiar enough with them so as to answer any questions regarding them. See my past posts in this thread, that is all I can offer. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #229 of 241 Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I keep forgetting to post this here...so I'll make it short. (edit- tried to)

I was finally able to get Game Of Thrones to play in Dolby Digital Plus through my headset.

I have a LG C6 (2016 Oled) doesn't support DD+

Here is a device list that HBO says support DD+ though HBO Now.

https://help.hbonow.com/Answer/Detail/241

HBO Now through Chromecast Ultra is supposed to support DD+ but it didn't work for me. Breakout Sony box still said 2 channel.

Finally I tested on my Mi Box S (which supposedly doesn't...ah never mind) anyway... I used the HBO Now app on the player and got DD+ BUUUUUT the video wasn't as smooth.

So I thought to myself...ooh ok, how about if I cast it...since the Mi Box has Chromecast built in. Boom. Video was perfect and still got DD+.

Now I can just enjoy the rest of the season. Previous to Season 8, I watched all the Game of Thrones on the first go with lossless sound through BluRay... so I was hesitant to watch season 8 on the first go through streaming... oh well, DD+ for now. And down the road lossless BluRay.

So basically..if you have a TV that doesn't support DD+ and you have this headset...an external device that supports DD+ should still do the trick.
post #230 of 241 Old 05-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post
Awesome find, thanks heaps! My battery is less than half charge on what it was when new. I had a little poke around inside and goto the final layer (where the speaker cable is coming out of where I assume the battery is actually located. I can't get that last plate off...? I didn't pull all that hard though as I didn't want to break anything. Also is it true once at the battery to replace it one needs to solder the wires in place (not plug n play)?
post #231 of 241 Old 07-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have run into a problem, the sony box is not hdcp 2.2, it will cause problems with my new upcoming hdr projector. Does anyone know if you can use the opt in only without hdmi on the box. Using a hdmi- opt conversion box through arc out on the receiver, I know it will downgrade audio but I dont see much choice...
post #232 of 241 Old 07-21-2019, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Yes, you can use the optical input standalone.
post #233 of 241 Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
good to know, is sound output in optical out if the control box is in standby?
post #234 of 241 Old 07-27-2019, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know since I don't use it that way. I suspect not.
post #235 of 241 Old 09-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, just got these headphones off eBay for $100. So far, I'm impressed with them

But I had a question (sorry if this is the wrong thread and I am a newbie so please no major flaming LOL) :

I have an Xbox One S. It's connected to the HW700DS by HDMI (2.0 compliant).
But I am unable to get the DECODER to display the correct codec (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) when I put in a Bluray or 4k disc.

Do I need to make changes in the Xbox settings? I was only able to get 7.1 uncompressed to display in the HW700ds menu.

Thanks all!
post #236 of 241 Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anybody know if Sony has a successor to the HW700DS in the works? I could swear somebody somewhere around this forum alluded to that several months ago.. but I cannot find that mention now, so am starting to doubt my recollection.
post #237 of 241 Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt it. It wasn't a huge seller given the price, given it has the innards of a processor. Plus it's been a number of years since it was released and discontinued, so chances are Sony doesn't see much of a market. And given today's crowd is streaming stuff and less getti stuff on disc, the need for HD codecs over HDMI is lower than support for the lossy formats. And Sony already has a cheap surround headphone for that that until recently was still available.

There are alternative products coming out, but they too are $$$$$$.
Mister B.M. likes this.
post #238 of 241 Old 09-23-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
[...]
There are alternative products coming out, but they too are $$$$$$.
Which alternatives are you talking about?
Also apart from minor issues, such as lack of battery power monitor (or apps for it), this headset works excellent. We use it together with my wife when watching movies at night, to not disturb sleeping kids.
post #239 of 241 Old 09-23-2019, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The alternative is the Smyth Realiser A16 - it has true HDMI 2.0 with HDR, support for 9.1.6 Atmos (and with luck, dtsX and Auro 3d), two individual headphones with the ability to do headphone calibration, preouts if you really wanted a 16 channel processor.

Problem is, it's $3500. That's why there's so many $$$$$$$.
post #240 of 241 Old 09-30-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The alternative is the Smyth Realiser A16 - it has true HDMI 2.0 with HDR, support for 9.1.6 Atmos (and with luck, dtsX and Auro 3d), two individual headphones with the ability to do headphone calibration, preouts if you really wanted a 16 channel processor.

Problem is, it's $3500. That's why there's so many $$$$$$$.
Interesting but expensive. And it is now $3,995.00. Question is if it supports pass through for Dolby Vision (Netflix) and HDR10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page