The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200) - Page 371 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9247Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11101 of 11806 Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Despite everyone's suggestions; seems I still have a system (with the Denon X4100) that for some reason will simply not play ATMOS.

I have two BR players a Sony CX960 changer, and a Panny BDT220
I have double-checked both to make sure they are set for bit-streaming, and that the secondary audio is off.
I have even toggled those features to PCM and secondary on and tested, then set it back to bit-stream and secondary audio off, there was no change (with either setting)

So here is what seems really strange to me, and hopefully a clue: I monitored the Denon info graphic while loading both of these discs.
  • When the preview trailers were playing (both movies); the panel indicator for "SIGNAL" reads "Dolby Digital", the Dolby symbol is showing, and the input channel map showed all channels except the top channels (this seemed normal to me)
  • HOWEVER, when the main feature started >> the Denon "SIGNAL" indicator now displays "PCM", the Dolby symbol went away, and the input channel indicator went to FL/FR
WTH...? I hope this suggests I am overlooking something really simple or stupid, or .....
(PS > I also bought a new HDMI cable to make sure this was not an HDMI cable limitation)

Edit - I also made sure the firmware upgrades were the latest for all 3 units (the 4100, and both players)


Any additional thoughts or tests are appreciated
Another thing to try is full return-to-factory-settings resets on both of your Blu-ray players. Then, while they're plugged into the (powered on) receiver, configure them for bitstreaming with secondary mix off.

In some cases, Blu-ray players which previously were plugged directly into TVs with only stereo speakers will continue to limit their audio outputs to what the TVs could accept (stereo PCM), even when they're subsequently plugged into a more capable audio system. A full reset of the player often is necessary in order to clear out the old player configurations.
cuzed2 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11102 of 11806 Old 01-15-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Another thing to try is full return-to-factory-settings resets on both of your Blu-ray players. Then, while they're plugged into the (powered on) receiver, configure them for bitstreaming with secondary mix off.

In some cases, Blu-ray players which previously were plugged directly into TVs with only stereo speakers will continue to limit their audio outputs to what the TVs could accept (stereo PCM), even when they're subsequently plugged into a more capable audio system. A full reset of the player often is necessary in order to clear out the old player configurations.
@seldon Ball, @jdsmoothie , @asarose247

OK gang finally some progress. Here's what happened:
I tried power-cycling per JD's suggestion - but NG
I then did the factory reset on the Denon - looked like NG (at least when testing using the Sony CX960 changer)

Then bought another HDMI cable that was specifically labelled as HDMI 1.4a
I had a 2 yr old cable in the mix that said HDMI + ethernet.

Knowing that asarose's BDT220 was passing ATMOS content; I decided to get rid of some variables and troubleshoot using ONLY the new cable and the BDT220 as my source, and WooHoo SUCCESS at last !!! I am now seeing the magic word ATMOS on the front panel.

Just for grins went back to the SONY CX 960 with the known good cable, but still no CX960 love with Atmos. Per Seldon's suggestion; I may try a full reset on the Sony CX960, after I watch a couple of ATMOS flicks

The lessons learned:
1) This Forum and community is your friend - Thank You All!
2) Be patient, take your time and logically eliminate the variables
3) Be sure of your HDMI cables and be the cable markings, they may not be what they are advertised as.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
cuzed2 is offline  
post #11103 of 11806 Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quick Question on the X4100;

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread
I was playing around the menu and options and did not see a way to switch the ATMOS upmixing on/off
Is the ATMOS upmixer switchable?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
cuzed2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11104 of 11806 Old 01-16-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Quick Question on the X4100;

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread
I was playing around the menu and options and did not see a way to switch the ATMOS upmixing on/off
Is the ATMOS upmixer switchable?
Atmos is not an upmixer. It's a type of audio soundtrack encoding used on some Blu-ray discs. When the receiver detects an incoming Atmos soundtrack, "Atmos" will be in the left side of the on-screen display when you press the remote's Info button.

Dolby Surround is the corresponding upmixer. While you're listening to a non-Atmos soundtrack, press one of the Movie, Music or Game buttons on the remote. "+Surround" will be shown in one of the available processing modes.
cuzed2 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #11105 of 11806 Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,792
Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21895 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Quick Question on the X4100;

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread
I was playing around the menu and options and did not see a way to switch the ATMOS upmixing on/off
Is the ATMOS upmixer switchable?

Yes, you can select a different surround mode that is available with your setup by pressing the MOVIE button on the remote.
cuzed2 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11106 of 11806 Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Dolby Surround is the corresponding upmixer. While you're listening to a non-Atmos soundtrack, press one of the Movie, Music or Game buttons on the remote. "+Surround" will be shown in one of the available processing modes.
This ^^ is most helpful - Thank You !!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
cuzed2 is offline  
post #11107 of 11806 Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I and everyone else has probably asked this before....

Will the specs ever be changed so that home receivers can drive more than 4 overhead Atmos channels?
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #11108 of 11806 Old 01-21-2017, 07:18 AM
Member
 
cagoode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all,

I apologize in advance for the long post; long time lurker but never post here. First, a little background. I bought a used x4100 locally that had a broken binding post on the right front speaker output. I sent it to a Denon Service Center, where they fixed it and also found an optical input that was bad, replacing it as well. They fully tested the unit and said everything was in perfect operating order and sent it back to me.

For the past month, my wife and I have used in it our master hooked to a 5 channel passive sound bar and sub, with Zone 2 powering speakers in our master bath. It has worked flawlessly until two nights ago, when during normal streaming through a Roku 3, the unit began shutting down and immediately restarting itself. Once it fully powers on, it turns itself off again and repeats the process on an endless loop. The red standby light is not flashing when it shuts down, so I could not find anything in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

I have checked that all of the speaker wires are secure (I use banana plugs on both ends of all wires) and tested each speaker by unplugging them one by one, though the unit does not stay on once powered up to play anything through the different speakers and still shuts itself down. I have also done a microprocessor reset (twice) and a soft reset (left it unplugged all night last night) and the unit still shuts down after powering up. I have made sure that Zones 2 and 3 are off by using the OEM remote. I had it plugged into a surge protector and tested it plugged directly into the wall and it shows the same behavior.

Any advice or anything I can do to further troubleshoot what is wrong? I did some quick searches in this thread but did not find anything like my problem. I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you in advance!
cagoode is online now  
post #11109 of 11806 Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,792
Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21895 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagoode View Post
Hey all,

I apologize in advance for the long post; long time lurker but never post here. First, a little background. I bought a used x4100 locally that had a broken binding post on the right front speaker output. I sent it to a Denon Service Center, where they fixed it and also found an optical input that was bad, replacing it as well. They fully tested the unit and said everything was in perfect operating order and sent it back to me.

For the past month, my wife and I have used in it our master hooked to a 5 channel passive sound bar and sub, with Zone 2 powering speakers in our master bath. It has worked flawlessly until two nights ago, when during normal streaming through a Roku 3, the unit began shutting down and immediately restarting itself. Once it fully powers on, it turns itself off again and repeats the process on an endless loop. The red standby light is not flashing when it shuts down, so I could not find anything in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

I have checked that all of the speaker wires are secure (I use banana plugs on both ends of all wires) and tested each speaker by unplugging them one by one, though the unit does not stay on once powered up to play anything through the different speakers and still shuts itself down. I have also done a microprocessor reset (twice) and a soft reset (left it unplugged all night last night) and the unit still shuts down after powering up. I have made sure that Zones 2 and 3 are off by using the OEM remote. I had it plugged into a surge protector and tested it plugged directly into the wall and it shows the same behavior.

Any advice or anything I can do to further troubleshoot what is wrong? I did some quick searches in this thread but did not find anything like my problem. I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you in advance!
If it's powering off with nothing connected, time to go back to the service center.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11110 of 11806 Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 AM
Member
 
cagoode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If it's powering off with nothing connected, time to go back to the service center.
Hi jdsmoothie,

Thank you for the reply. That is what I thought everyone's answer would be. I will see about sending it back in to be serviced. Thanks again!
cagoode is online now  
post #11111 of 11806 Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagoode View Post
Hey all,

I apologize in advance for the long post; long time lurker but never post here. First, a little background. I bought a used x4100 locally that had a broken binding post on the right front speaker output. I sent it to a Denon Service Center, where they fixed it and also found an optical input that was bad, replacing it as well. They fully tested the unit and said everything was in perfect operating order and sent it back to me.

For the past month, my wife and I have used in it our master hooked to a 5 channel passive sound bar and sub, with Zone 2 powering speakers in our master bath. It has worked flawlessly until two nights ago, when during normal streaming through a Roku 3, the unit began shutting down and immediately restarting itself. Once it fully powers on, it turns itself off again and repeats the process on an endless loop. The red standby light is not flashing when it shuts down, so I could not find anything in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

I have checked that all of the speaker wires are secure (I use banana plugs on both ends of all wires) and tested each speaker by unplugging them one by one, though the unit does not stay on once powered up to play anything through the different speakers and still shuts itself down. I have also done a microprocessor reset (twice) and a soft reset (left it unplugged all night last night) and the unit still shuts down after powering up. I have made sure that Zones 2 and 3 are off by using the OEM remote. I had it plugged into a surge protector and tested it plugged directly into the wall and it shows the same behavior.

Any advice or anything I can do to further troubleshoot what is wrong? I did some quick searches in this thread but did not find anything like my problem. I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you in advance!
Have you tried to unplug the unit. Then do a Factory reset. Honestly, sounds like it may be tripping due to low power available. Have you plugged more stuff into the same electrical circuit? You may be overloading your home electrical circuit. It is a possibility. These AVRs can be energy hogs. Try unplugging everything else that is connected to the same circuit/breaker. Just for giggles, go check your breaker. Do a full reset of the breaker and ensure it is making solid contact switching.

If the unit is still tripping, try disconnecting all speakers and inputs. You may be getting some type of ground fault from a speaker or source item that is connected. If this fixes it. Start connecting ONE thing at a time until you discover the culprit.

Good luck Sir!

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is online now  
post #11112 of 11806 Old 01-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Member
 
cagoode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Have you tried to unplug the unit. Then do a Factory reset. Honestly, sounds like it may be tripping due to low power available. Have you plugged more stuff into the same electrical circuit? You may be overloading your home electrical circuit. It is a possibility. These AVRs can be energy hogs. Try unplugging everything else that is connected to the same circuit/breaker. Just for giggles, go check your breaker. Do a full reset of the breaker and ensure it is making solid contact switching.

If the unit is still tripping, try disconnecting all speakers and inputs. You may be getting some type of ground fault from a speaker or source item that is connected. If this fixes it. Start connecting ONE thing at a time until you discover the culprit.

Good luck Sir!
Hi Adamg,

I have tried unplugging the unit and using only the unit plugged into the wall. I will try a breaker reset and see if that helps. I will also test to see if unplugging everything from the receiver will keep it on. Thank you for the suggestions!
cagoode is online now  
post #11113 of 11806 Old 01-23-2017, 08:34 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagoode View Post
Hi Adamg,

I have tried unplugging the unit and using only the unit plugged into the wall. I will try a breaker reset and see if that helps. I will also test to see if unplugging everything from the receiver will keep it on. Thank you for the suggestions!
What happened, any Joy my Friend?

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is online now  
post #11114 of 11806 Old 01-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Member
 
cagoode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
What happened, any Joy my Friend?
Hi Adamg,

I isolated the receiver on the circuit and unplugged all of the inputs, outputs and speaker cables from the back. Unfortunately, it still shut down within 15 seconds of startup. I then reset the breaker and did a factory reset on the receiver, after which it still is powering down automatically. I believe it is time to send it in to be serviced.

Thank you for following up with me and I appreciate your time and help!
cagoode is online now  
post #11115 of 11806 Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagoode View Post
Hi Adamg,

I isolated the receiver on the circuit and unplugged all of the inputs, outputs and speaker cables from the back. Unfortunately, it still shut down within 15 seconds of startup. I then reset the breaker and did a factory reset on the receiver, after which it still is powering down automatically. I believe it is time to send it in to be serviced.

Thank you for following up with me and I appreciate your time and help!
One last step. Take the AVR to another circuit and try again. You may have a lose connection or other issue with that specific wall plug outlet. I hope not.

Were you able to do a Factory Reset?

See Post #5 of this thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post24721985

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.

Last edited by Adamg (Ret-Navy); 01-23-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is online now  
post #11116 of 11806 Old 01-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Member
 
cagoode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
One last step. Take the AVR to another circuit and try again. You may have a lose connection or other issue with that specific wall plug outlet. I hope not.

Were you able to do a Factory Reset?

See Post #5 of this thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post24721985
I was able to do a factory reset and test on another circuit. It still turns itself off within 15 seconds of starting up. Back to the Service Center it goes!
cagoode is online now  
post #11117 of 11806 Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Member
 
piketech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I currently have the X4100 . . . traditional 5.1 setup, with two speakers in the kitchen for zone 2. Just ordered a set of speakers to play with as front height speakers . . . not in ceiling, just front heights. I know I need to power either the heights or zone 2 with a 2 channel amp or old AVR . . . easy to do and not an issue. But if I switched the amp assign on the fly as I needed to use it as 7.1 or 5.1 and zone 2 . . . would that work short term? So if we need to play music in the kitchen, switch the amp assign back to 5.1 + Zone 2 . . . and when we were done and wanted to watch TV, switch it to 7.1 with Front Heights? Or would it basically need to have Audyssey re-ran every time the amp assign was switched? Just trying to buy a little time, as this might be phase one of add more for 9.1 and beyond, and either get a new receiver or invest in more than just a 2 channel amp.
piketech is offline  
post #11118 of 11806 Old 01-28-2017, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,792
Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21895 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by piketech View Post
I currently have the X4100 . . . traditional 5.1 setup, with two speakers in the kitchen for zone 2. Just ordered a set of speakers to play with as front height speakers . . . not in ceiling, just front heights. I know I need to power either the heights or zone 2 with a 2 channel amp or old AVR . . . easy to do and not an issue. But if I switched the amp assign on the fly as I needed to use it as 7.1 or 5.1 and zone 2 . . . would that work short term? So if we need to play music in the kitchen, switch the amp assign back to 5.1 + Zone 2 . . . and when we were done and wanted to watch TV, switch it to 7.1 with Front Heights? Or would it basically need to have Audyssey re-ran every time the amp assign was switched? Just trying to buy a little time, as this might be phase one of add more for 9.1 and beyond, and either get a new receiver or invest in more than just a 2 channel amp.
Switching the AMP ASSIGN setting will work; however, will also disable Audyssey in the process when going to 5.1 + Zone 2, however, if the focus will be on the Zone 2 speakers, no issue.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11119 of 11806 Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Member
 
piketech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Switching the AMP ASSIGN setting will work; however, will also disable Audyssey in the process when going to 5.1 + Zone 2, however, if the focus will be on the Zone 2 speakers, no issue.
Perfect . . . . thank you! So run Audyssey as 7.1, and that is saved that way . . . switching to 5.1 and Zone 2 disables it, but switching back to 7.1 turns it back on . . . nice. Zone 2 really just gets used in afternoons, or making dinner in the evenings. And in that case, it's either because the kids are watching random TV while we're in the kitchen, and they don't need perfect sound . . . or we just have All Zone Stereo going for the same music in both rooms, and the same applies. There's no reference movie watching going on while Zone 2 is going in the other room.

Trickier part will be if the wife or the kids want to turn on Zone 2 if I'm not around . . . as they won't be familiar with how to make that change with the amp assign. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there . . . by then I may have an old receiver driving a couple channels anyway. Of course, then I'll want to get a couple more speakers, and then change amp assign for 9.1 and 5.1 + Zone 2 . . .

Side note on all that, I assume 7.1 with Front Heights is what I want to use for the setting, and then use Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:X over the existing sound mode? Doing the amp assign as Dolby Atmos wouldn't "work" since I have just front heights, not in-ceiling? I'm sure I could select it, but it's likely not as ideal?
piketech is offline  
post #11120 of 11806 Old 01-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
thecougher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Sounding Sound Mode (DD, DS+DS, Direct)

I got through a few searches of this thread and read 100s of posts but never really came across the subject I am inquiring about.

I Have and x4100w and a basic 5.1 setup with 3 small/medium fronts, 12" Sub and some small bookshelf speaks on stands which are a little bit behind the couch and about 5 or so feet from my head angle into the middle of the listening area. Pretty sure spear placement is good and Audyssey setup was done from several positions...All sounds good.

My sources (DirecTV HR34, XBOX One S, AppleTV, FireTV all are outputting digital surround.
I have noticed tha on some sources (ie: CBL/SAT) I do not have the option to select DTS-NEOX yet on my FireTV Input I can select it. I thought it may be a source issue with different content playing but even with video paused nothing really changes. I am not even sure if I am missing anything really with DTS but......

The real question is....What is the best preferred Movie Sound mode given the above setup? I am currently using Dolby Digital as that is available across all sources, seems to sound good etc. I would like to use a single Sound mode but unsure what the best sounding one would be.
Should I be using Dolby Surround + DD setting? Should I be using something from the Direct Sound Mode?

Thanks in advance for the explanations and advice and I do apologize if I missed this or a similar discussion in this thread. I figured after skimming through 100's of posts and not finding anything I would try to post and see what comes back.
thecougher is offline  
post #11121 of 11806 Old 01-30-2017, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,311
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4646 Post(s)
Liked: 4832
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougher View Post
I got through a few searches of this thread and read 100s of posts but never really came across the subject I am inquiring about.

I Have and x4100w and a basic 5.1 setup with 3 small/medium fronts, 12" Sub and some small bookshelf speaks on stands which are a little bit behind the couch and about 5 or so feet from my head angle into the middle of the listening area. Pretty sure spear placement is good and Audyssey setup was done from several positions...All sounds good.

My sources (DirecTV HR34, XBOX One S, AppleTV, FireTV all are outputting digital surround.
I have noticed tha on some sources (ie: CBL/SAT) I do not have the option to select DTS-NEOX yet on my FireTV Input I can select it. I thought it may be a source issue with different content playing but even with video paused nothing really changes. I am not even sure if I am missing anything really with DTS but......

The real question is....What is the best preferred Movie Sound mode given the above setup? I am currently using Dolby Digital as that is available across all sources, seems to sound good etc. I would like to use a single Sound mode but unsure what the best sounding one would be.
Should I be using Dolby Surround + DD setting? Should I be using something from the Direct Sound Mode?

Thanks in advance for the explanations and advice and I do apologize if I missed this or a similar discussion in this thread. I figured after skimming through 100's of posts and not finding anything I would try to post and see what comes back.
If you're only running a 5.1 setup, you don't need any upmixing UNLESS the source is only 2ch. Any multich source (5.1, 7.1 etc) will already fill all your speakers so there's nothing more to do than select teh straight decoding. So for example "Dolby Digital" for a 5.1 DD input, "DTS-HD" with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio input, etc.

With 2ch inputs, you can use your favorite upmixer (Dolby Surround or Neo:X) to make 2.0 input into 5.1 output.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #11122 of 11806 Old 01-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
thecougher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
If you're only running a 5.1 setup, you don't need any upmixing UNLESS the source is only 2ch. Any multich source (5.1, 7.1 etc) will already fill all your speakers so there's nothing more to do than select teh straight decoding. So for example "Dolby Digital" for a 5.1 DD input, "DTS-HD" with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio input, etc.

With 2ch inputs, you can use your favorite upmixer (Dolby Surround or Neo:X) to make 2.0 input into 5.1 output.

That is probably why the DTS options are not showing up as my AMP/Speaker config is set to 5.1-Zone2.

For any 2 channel I am selecting All Channel Audio as the 2 channel stuff is all music.

The other TV/DVD/ETC sources are all 5.1 channel so Dolby Digital should be perfect for those.

Still trying to decide whether I go 7.1 or do an Atmos config with speakers. I just think there are so many options you can get caught up, go nuts and not reap that much more of an audio experience. Aura-3d sounds intriguing but $200 firmware update for a crap shoot on whether it is that much better than Atmos or even 7.1 etc seems like a stretch.

Thanks for the quick response and sorry if this has been covered previously...Cheers.
thecougher is offline  
post #11123 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,792
Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21895 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by piketech View Post
Perfect . . . . thank you! So run Audyssey as 7.1, and that is saved that way . . . switching to 5.1 and Zone 2 disables it, but switching back to 7.1 turns it back on . . . nice. Zone 2 really just gets used in afternoons, or making dinner in the evenings. And in that case, it's either because the kids are watching random TV while we're in the kitchen, and they don't need perfect sound . . . or we just have All Zone Stereo going for the same music in both rooms, and the same applies. There's no reference movie watching going on while Zone 2 is going in the other room.

Trickier part will be if the wife or the kids want to turn on Zone 2 if I'm not around . . . as they won't be familiar with how to make that change with the amp assign. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there . . . by then I may have an old receiver driving a couple channels anyway. Of course, then I'll want to get a couple more speakers, and then change amp assign for 9.1 and 5.1 + Zone 2 . . .

Side note on all that, I assume 7.1 with Front Heights is what I want to use for the setting, and then use Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:X over the existing sound mode? Doing the amp assign as Dolby Atmos wouldn't "work" since I have just front heights, not in-ceiling? I'm sure I could select it, but it's likely not as ideal?

1. Might be easier to just purchase an AudioSource Amp100VS to power the Zone 2 speakers so much easier to select Zone 2 audio.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-.../dp/B00ZSEFU94

2. Correct, as selecting Amp Assign = Dolby Atmos would not allow selecting the Front Height setting and why it's not recommended to use this setting regardless of the speaker layout.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-31-2017 at 12:11 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11124 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 AM
Newbie
 
thecougher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Might be easier to just purchase an AudioSource Amp100VS to power the Zone 2 speakers so much easier to select Zone 2 audio.

2. Correct, as selecting Amp Assign = Dolby Atmos would not allow selecting the Front Height setting and why it's not recommended to use this setting regardless of the speaker layout.

If I do select the 7.1 configuration and still only have a 5.1 speaker setup would I plug my rears in the R/L Surround or R/L Back for optimum sound. Side speakers are just not feasible given my room layout......Or would it be counterproductive and sound worse in 7.1 with a 5.1 speaker config. Seems to me like the additional channel separation would be spread across the Side and Rear speakers whereas in 5.1 the side and rear seem to be combined into the rears now.
thecougher is offline  
post #11125 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,792
Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21895 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougher View Post
If I do select the 7.1 configuration and still only have a 5.1 speaker setup would I plug my rears in the R/L Surround or R/L Back for optimum sound. Side speakers are just not feasible given my room layout......Or would it be counterproductive and sound worse in 7.1 with a 5.1 speaker config. Seems to me like the additional channel separation would be spread across the Side and Rear speakers whereas in 5.1 the side and rear seem to be combined into the rears now.
Selecting AMP ASSIGN = 7.1 simply means that anywhere from 2 to 7 speakers can be connected in the main zone. A 5.1 setup has "side" surround speakers with the surrounds connected to the SURROUND speaker posts (regardless of where you physically place the speakers). A 7.1 setup adds "rear" surround speakers which are connected to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11126 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Newbie
 
thecougher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Selecting AMP ASSIGN = 7.1 simply means that anywhere from 2 to 7 speakers can be connected in the main zone. A 5.1 setup has "side" surround speakers with the surrounds connected to the SURROUND speaker posts (regardless of where you physically place the speakers). A 7.1 setup adds "rear" surround speakers which are connected to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts.
Gotcha....Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood the 7.1 layout and thought the Side speakers were the additional speakers from a 5.1 setup...Rather the rears are the additions so makes sense that I shouldn't really lose anything from a 5.1 setup and I will gain the ability to select DTS now on the receiver.
thecougher is offline  
post #11127 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 12:47 PM
Newbie
 
thecougher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Selecting AMP ASSIGN = 7.1 simply means that anywhere from 2 to 7 speakers can be connected in the main zone. A 5.1 setup has "side" surround speakers with the surrounds connected to the SURROUND speaker posts (regardless of where you physically place the speakers). A 7.1 setup adds "rear" surround speakers which are connected to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts.
So when I select the 7.1 the Amp is assuming I am adding the Rear speakers and splits the Channels into Side and Rear and sends each out to the speaker output separately instead of combining them into the R/L surround in a 5.1 setup. Will I be losing a ton of definition/detail by doing the 7.1 config but not having rear speakers hooked to the Amp?

I am guessing the majority of the detail will still remain in the R/L surround and that the R/L Rear Surround would only be producing extreme rear facing audio?

I am going to test tonight.
thecougher is offline  
post #11128 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,792
Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21895 Post(s)
Liked: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougher View Post
So when I select the 7.1 the Amp is assuming I am adding the Rear speakers and splits the Channels into Side and Rear and sends each out to the speaker output separately instead of combining them into the R/L surround in a 5.1 setup. Will I be losing a ton of definition/detail by doing the 7.1 config but not having rear speakers hooked to the Amp?

I am guessing the majority of the detail will still remain in the R/L surround and that the R/L Rear Surround would only be producing extreme rear facing audio?

I am going to test tonight.
Nope. The AVR isn't assuming anything. The AMP ASSIGN setting simply allows the maximum possible configuration. When Audyssey is run, the actual speakers are detected such that if you only have a 5.1 setup, then a 7.1 signal would be down-mixed to your 5.1 setup.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11129 of 11806 Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Member
 
piketech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Might be easier to just purchase an AudioSource Amp100VS to power the Zone 2 speakers so much easier to select Zone 2 audio.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-.../dp/B00ZSEFU94

2. Correct, as selecting Amp Assign = Dolby Atmos would not allow selecting the Front Height setting and why it's not recommended to use this setting regardless of the speaker layout.
Thanks again for the answers. Yeah, I'm thinking hard on the amp . . . I've got a couple older AVRs in the basement, might just go that way in the meantime. I'll just have to get creative with the space available to have it in the chain . . . which is why the amp is still appealing, smaller footprint. It's bad enough I'm filling the space with more speakers . . . adding another piece of equipment, too, might get me in trouble . . . ha!

Generic question, as I know model, etc. will give a different answer . . . but if I use an older AVR, will it power up automatically upon receiving signal (which I think the Audio Source amp does?), or would it need to be on all the time? Thinking maybe I could bury it in the basement out of sight if I can set it and forget it.
piketech is offline  
post #11130 of 11806 Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
KK in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Recently my X5200W doesn't seem to switch to Atmos on its own when I select the Atmos track on my Oppo 203. Not sure if there is a setting on the Denon that I need to reset or if it's something with the Oppo. It's just odd. I did happen to go into the Denon Remote app on my iPhone to try and confirm if it was in Atmos (which it wasn't - was outputting TrueHD) but when I hit "Auto" in surround modes on the app it switched to Atmos and the sound difference was definitely noticeable. Any way for me to get this to automatically go to Atmos via a setting on the X5200? I think I must be missing something.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
KK in CT is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(X4100/X5200/X7200) , compatibility , denon avr x4100w , help a n00b , receiver advice , remote , X4100 , X4100W , X5200W

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off