The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200) - Page 378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9261Likes

post #11311 of 11929 Old 07-15-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I use a Harmony 1100 remote against a 7200WA and the only way I can power on Zones 2 & 3 is to hit "Option" on the remote then scroll down to manually turn on or off the zones.

They don't power on automatically. At least on mine????
It depends on the set of commands that's in your remote.

I have the distinct impression that each default set was defined by a different person, perhaps whoever was first to submit a set to Harmony for a new A/V device. For example, when I got my Harmony 650 remote to use with my SR7009 and other devices, the default set of commands for an SR7008 used discrete power on and off commands, while the commands for an SR7009 used "toggle power". Since my external amp (MM9000) requires discrete on and off commands I decided to use the SR7008 command-set rather than try to modify the SR7009 commands. (I dunno if they might have changed the commands since then.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11929 Old 07-15-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I use a Harmony 1100 remote against a 7200WA and the only way I can power on Zones 2 & 3 is to hit "Option" on the remote then scroll down to manually turn on or off each or all zones.

On my Harmony 900, I simply program a totally separate device called Denon Zone 2 receiver and then program just that activity for it. works perfect!
post #11313 of 11929 Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I use a Harmony 1100 remote against a 7200WA and the only way I can power on Zones 2 & 3 is to hit "Option" on the remote then scroll down to manually turn on or off each or all zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
It depends on the set of commands that's in your remote.

I have the distinct impression that each default set was defined by a different person, perhaps whoever was first to submit a set to Harmony for a new A/V device. For example, when I got my Harmony 650 remote to use with my SR7009 and other devices, the default set of commands for an SR7008 used discrete power on and off commands, while the commands for an SR7009 used "toggle power". Since my external amp (MM9000) requires discrete on and off commands I decided to use the SR7008 command-set rather than try to modify the SR7009 commands. (I dunno if they might have changed the commands since then.)

Thanks JD, glad to see there is a workaround.

It might be that I wasn't having an issue for the first year or so with the zones because I wasn't having handshake issues with the Directv box. Now that I have to fool around and power up devices separately maybe different pushes on the power button on my MX450 URC remote is turning on the other zones. I will do some troubleshooting when I get a chance. I might also look in to replacing my outdated MX450 remote with a Harmony Elite, maybe I can set that up to power on the 7200WA first with a delay then the tv and last the Directv box with one button push and solve my hand shake/ no signal issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11314 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So I've been dealing with a sound drop for the past year, troubleshooting it here and there. I have my original post below:

Hey guys I am having an issue with my 5200... I tried searching the forums but couldn't find a solution.

When watching from an HDMI source or from the TV directly via optical in the audio will cut out for a second or two and come back. The screen on the receiver also switches from and back to the current codec while the audio drops. Any ideas? I have put off doing a reset until I am able to try / troubleshoot anything first. Thanks!

I may be finally onto something though. I use the Rocketfish wireless subwoofer kit and noticed that after my recent move, the issue became way worse. The audio was dropping every twenty minutes or so, sometimes more.

A couple days ago, I realized that I had the wireless sub transmitter right next to the Denon. After moving the transmitter to the other side of the TV stand, the issue at first seemed to have gone away. Interesting. After watching a few hours of TV with no issue, I switched to Spotify Connect for some music. The issue persists when using Spotify Connect, but it drops the connection as a whole, forcing me to usually restart the receiver and the Spotify App on my phone in order for the Denon to be found as a device again. Note that this does NOT happen when using AirPlay. More interesting.

I also have two AC Infinity USB fans plugged into the front USB port of the Denon. When the audio drops, the power to the USB port dies and the fans stop. A few seconds later, power resumes and the fans start spinning again. Huh. Keep in mind, the video signal doesn't ever drop, just the audio.

I have tried both WiFi and ethernet, both of which behave the same. I am thinking there is some sort of other interference going on causing this issue. I don't think it's a power line issue as it has happened at two different houses now. There is a coaxial cable now running right behind the AVR, but the router and the AVR have always been in close proximity.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight into something similar? It's extremely frustrating not being able to pin down the issue. I am not sure the the Spotify issue and the audio drop issue are the same, or different since it is only Spotify giving me an issue now.

Denon AVR-X5200W [] 7.3 [] Klipsch RF-82ii [] Klipsch RC-62ii [] Klipsch KG 4.2 [] Bose 301-V [] Dual SVS SB-2000 + SVS PB-1000 [] Vizio E60-C3 [] HTPC [] Harmony Elite [] Samsung SmartThings
post #11315 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 803 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23720 Post(s)
Liked: 13061
Quote:
Originally Posted by wambo View Post
So I've been dealing with a sound drop for the past year, troubleshooting it here and there. I have my original post below:

Hey guys I am having an issue with my 5200... I tried searching the forums but couldn't find a solution.

When watching from an HDMI source or from the TV directly via optical in the audio will cut out for a second or two and come back. The screen on the receiver also switches from and back to the current codec while the audio drops. Any ideas? I have put off doing a reset until I am able to try / troubleshoot anything first. Thanks!

I may be finally onto something though. I use the Rocketfish wireless subwoofer kit and noticed that after my recent move, the issue became way worse. The audio was dropping every twenty minutes or so, sometimes more.

A couple days ago, I realized that I had the wireless sub transmitter right next to the Denon. After moving the transmitter to the other side of the TV stand, the issue at first seemed to have gone away. Interesting. After watching a few hours of TV with no issue, I switched to Spotify Connect for some music. The issue persists when using Spotify Connect, but it drops the connection as a whole, forcing me to usually restart the receiver and the Spotify App on my phone in order for the Denon to be found as a device again. Note that this does NOT happen when using AirPlay. More interesting.

I also have two AC Infinity USB fans plugged into the front USB port of the Denon. When the audio drops, the power to the USB port dies and the fans stop. A few seconds later, power resumes and the fans start spinning again. Huh. Keep in mind, the video signal doesn't ever drop, just the audio.

I have tried both WiFi and ethernet, both of which behave the same. I am thinking there is some sort of other interference going on causing this issue. I don't think it's a power line issue as it has happened at two different houses now. There is a coaxial cable now running right behind the AVR, but the router and the AVR have always been in close proximity.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight into something similar? It's extremely frustrating not being able to pin down the issue. I am not sure the the Spotify issue and the audio drop issue are the same, or different since it is only Spotify giving me an issue now.

Hmm ... did you try any of the suggestions I made in my post which immediately followed that original post you made.
post #11316 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Hmm ... did you try any of the suggestions I made in my post which immediately followed that original post you made.
Haha yes, I have done soft resets as well as a factory reset. With the factory reset, I did save and load my settings which I plan on doing again but without loading the settings. I have also replaced all of the cables at one point or another. I find it very odd that the issue seems to have completely stopped while watching video from any source after moving the wireless sub transmitter.

Denon AVR-X5200W [] 7.3 [] Klipsch RF-82ii [] Klipsch RC-62ii [] Klipsch KG 4.2 [] Bose 301-V [] Dual SVS SB-2000 + SVS PB-1000 [] Vizio E60-C3 [] HTPC [] Harmony Elite [] Samsung SmartThings
post #11317 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Haha yes, I have done soft resets as well as a factory reset. With the factory reset, I did save and load my settings which I plan on doing again but without loading the settings. I have also replaced all of the cables at one point or another. I find it very odd that the issue seems to have completely stopped while watching video from any source after moving the wireless sub transmitter.
Could be the result of a defective board on the X5200W, although if you've been living with it for a year, doesn't sound like you're interested in sending it in for warranty repair. If possible, take it over to a neighbor's house and test it there as well to see if the same issue presents.
post #11318 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Could be the result of a defective board on the X5200W, although if you've been living with it for a year, doesn't sound like you're interested in sending it in for warranty repair. If possible, take it over to a neighbor's house and test it there as well to see if the same issue presents.
If I had a service center in my city, I would have already taken it. I bought it open box so I don't think there was much of a warranty left anyways and don't want to spend hundreds on getting it repaired. I actually forget about it sometimes, because in certain room layouts it has gone away for months at a time. It only seems to happen again after moving / adding / rearranging equipment. Before I moved two weeks ago, the issue had been nonexistent for about two months (I did not have the wireless sub transmitter connected at that time). I was just wondering if anyone here has come across a similar interference issue before.

I am keeping an eye on the 2016 / 2017 sales as well... might jump to a 3300 / 3400 / 4300.

post #11319 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If I had a service center in my city, I would have already taken it. I bought it open box so I don't think there was much of a warranty left anyways and don't want to spend hundreds on getting it repaired. I actually forget about it sometimes, because in certain room layouts it has gone away for months at a time. It only seems to happen again after moving / adding / rearranging equipment. Before I moved two weeks ago, the issue had been nonexistent for about two months (I did not have the wireless sub transmitter connected at that time). I was just wondering if anyone here has come across a similar interference issue before.

I am keeping an eye on the 2016 / 2017 sales as well... might jump to a 3300 / 3400 / 4300.
Understood. Perhaps another owner can comment if experiencing a similar issue.
post #11320 of 11929 Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM

One more thing

Finally got a dedicated BluRay player, the Sony BRP-S6700 and had a difficult time setting it up. The receiver would play a BluRay fine, but would not display the menu, settings or setup screens. I ended up having to connect the BluRay player directly to the TV, go through the settings, and turn off the deep color settings as well as force the output to 1080p only. I know that the deep color settings cause issues with other devices as well if they are unable to process the signal correctly. I also turned off all of the audio processing and can confirm that the receiver then handles everything fine, including Atmos. I know these issues are documented a few other places, but figured that posting here will help Google search results.

More and more tempted to start the HDCP 2.2 upgrade process...

post #11321 of 11929 Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
1. HDCP 2.2 came along after the X5200W was released such that it will not pass 4k/HDPC 2.2 video from a 4k UHD Blu Ray player
HDCP 2.2 was out at the time the X5200W was released, but the HDMI port chips were only available as 9G with HDCP 2.2, or 18G with HDCP 1.4. Denon/Marantz chose 18G over HDCP 2.2 that year, while Onkyo and Yamaha went with HDCP 2.2 at 9G. Neither one was a satifying solution, especially since HDR10 turned out to be the distinguishing feature, and that was not around in 2014. The first chip that could do it all was the Lattice SiI9777, which, I believe, was released late in 2014 or early 2015.
post #11322 of 11929 Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 5061 Post(s)
Liked: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
HDCP 2.2 was out at the time the X5200W was released, but the HDMI port chips were only available as 9G with HDCP 2.2, or 18G with HDCP 1.4. Denon/Marantz chose 18G over HDCP 2.2 that year, while Onkyo and Yamaha went with HDCP 2.2 at 9G.
Pretty sure it was only Onkyo, not Yamaha. If you look at the first gen of Yamaha Atmos units contemporaneous with the Denon 5200 (e.g. Yamaha RX-A3040) they are NOT compliant with HDCP 2.2 at all.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11323 of 11929 Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Pretty sure it was only Onkyo, not Yamaha. If you look at the first gen of Yamaha Atmos units contemporaneous with the Denon 5200 (e.g. Yamaha RX-A3040) they are NOT compliant with HDCP 2.2 at all.
Ah, thanks. I somehow thought Yamaha was smart, too. I'm getting old, my memory is slipping...
post #11324 of 11929 Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
HDCP 2.2 was out at the time the X5200W was released, but the HDMI port chips were only available as 9G with HDCP 2.2, or 18G with HDCP 1.4. Denon/Marantz chose 18G over HDCP 2.2 that year, while Onkyo and Yamaha went with HDCP 2.2 at 9G. Neither one was a satifying solution, especially since HDR10 turned out to be the distinguishing feature, and that was not around in 2014. The first chip that could do it all was the Lattice SiI9777, which, I believe, was released late in 2014 or early 2015.
Onkyo and Sony chose the Silicon Image chip which supported HDCP 2.2 as well as the HDMI 2.0 feature of 4K60HZ video pass-through, but only with 4:2:0/8bit color(3G), 10.2 Gbps (same as HDMI 1.4) while Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Pioneer chose the Panasonic chipset which supported the HDMI 2.0 feature of 4K60HZ video pass-through, with 4:4:4/8bit, 4:2:2/12bit and 4:2:0/6bit color (6G), 18Gbps, but not HDCP 2.2.
post #11325 of 11929 Old 07-29-2017, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm thinking of getting some headphones for the evening.

How will the X7200WA be with something along the lines of the Senn HD650's or Audeze LCD-2's? The HD650's have 300ohm impedance while the LCD-2 has 70 ohms.

I'm wondering if I'll need another amp - my understanding is when the headphone jack is plugged in, the main L&R speaker amps provide the power for the headphones. Is that correct?

Thanks you guys!
Trvlngnrs
post #11326 of 11929 Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvlngnrs View Post
I'm thinking of getting some headphones for the evening.

How will the X7200WA be with something along the lines of the Senn HD650's or Audeze LCD-2's? The HD650's have 300ohm impedance while the LCD-2 has 70 ohms.

I'm wondering if I'll need another amp - my understanding is when the headphone jack is plugged in, the main L&R speaker amps provide the power for the headphones. Is that correct?

Thanks you guys!
Trvlngnrs
Can't confirm from personal use, but there shouldn't be a problem and yes, the surround speakers are muted while the headphones are plugged in to the headphone jack.
post #11327 of 11929 Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Looking for some help.

X4100W mounted in theater rack has been working fine since 2014. Has recently developed a random popping sound from the right surround back speaker. The pop is not too loud but noticeable. Has nothing to do with input signal as it will do it during playback or at idle. Receiver is connected to web and firmware is updated. I intend to:

1) check speaker wires (hasn't been touched since installed, but will check them anyway).
2) check speaker by swapping out with another one (but not sure how a passive speaker could cause a popping sound)
3) Do a "soft reset" (How do I do this?)
4) Do a "factory" reset (How do I do this?)
5) Use an outboard amp to power the surround backs (I have plenty of power amps available).

Any other suggestions? FWIW, I had the 4311 from 2010-2014 when the left front channel went out....even on the preamp output. It is still sitting on a shelf in the theater room as a relic. I love the Denon interface, sound and features, but if I can't get this resolved I will probably go with a Pioneer Elite or something different next time. I can't afford to have a stack of broken Denon receivers sitting around. Thanks for any help. BTW, my old Onkyo 805 has been going strong since 2007 and is in use in the living room daily.
post #11328 of 11929 Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
Looking for some help.

X4100W mounted in theater rack has been working fine since 2014. Has recently developed a random popping sound from the right surround back speaker. The pop is not too loud but noticeable. Has nothing to do with input signal as it will do it during playback or at idle. Receiver is connected to web and firmware is updated. I intend to:

1) check speaker wires (hasn't been touched since installed, but will check them anyway).
2) check speaker by swapping out with another one (but not sure how a passive speaker could cause a popping sound)
3) Do a "soft reset" (How do I do this?)
4) Do a "factory" reset (How do I do this?)
5) Use an outboard amp to power the surround backs (I have plenty of power amps available).

Any other suggestions? FWIW, I had the 4311 from 2010-2014 when the left front channel went out....even on the preamp output. It is still sitting on a shelf in the theater room as a relic. I love the Denon interface, sound and features, but if I can't get this resolved I will probably go with a Pioneer Elite or something different next time. I can't afford to have a stack of broken Denon receivers sitting around. Thanks for any help. BTW, my old Onkyo 805 has been going strong since 2007 and is in use in the living room daily.
3./4. I discuss the resets in post 4 of this thread.

Also note that the 4311CI and X4100W both came with a 3 year warranty if purchased "new" from an authorized dealer and if a credit card was used, many card issuers will add 1-2 additional years of extended warranty so check with your credit card issuer to confirm.
post #11329 of 11929 Old 08-22-2017, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Thanks JD. Will look into it.
post #11330 of 11929 Old 08-22-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
X4100W mounted in theater rack has been working fine since 2014. Has recently developed a random popping sound from the right surround back speaker. The pop is not too loud but noticeable. Has nothing to do with input signal as it will do it during playback or at idle.
A simple check would be to swap the connection for that speaker with one of the others. See if the problem stays with the speaker or moves based on the source at the AVR. If it moves then it's the receiver, if it stays put then it's the speaker (or the wiring leading to it). If it seems to be the speaker then use a temporary piece of cable to wire it directly to the AVR. If the problem persists then it's definitely the speaker.
Davird_Jr likes this.
post #11331 of 11929 Old 08-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all I have a question about Atmos. I have notice that my 4100w does not display the word Atmos on the front display. Not sure if it has todo with the latest update or something else going on. I use to the VT65 but now have the LG C7 and also went to the Oppo 203 player. I am using dual outputs on the Oppo due to the 4100x does not have HDCP 2.2. I have the oppo set to bitstream. The only way I get to see the word Atmos is when I scroll through the sound modes on the 4100x I'll see this( Atmos/Dolby ). Before it would say Atmos any thoughts???
post #11332 of 11929 Old 08-26-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpezz50 View Post
Hello all I have a question about Atmos. I have notice that my 4100w does not display the word Atmos on the front display. Not sure if it has todo with the latest update or something else going on. I use to the VT65 but now have the LG C7 and also went to the Oppo 203 player. I am using dual outputs on the Oppo due to the 4100x does not have HDCP 2.2. I have the oppo set to bitstream. The only way I get to see the word Atmos is when I scroll through the sound modes on the 4100x I'll see this( Atmos/Dolby ). Before it would say Atmos any thoughts???
On the Oppo, in addition to being set to "bitstream" you must ensure that Secondary Audio = OFF. While playing an Atmos BD, press the INFO button on the remote. Does Atmos display as the input signal on the LG? How many speakers are in your setup? If you don't have height/overhead speakers configured, it won't matter as the AVR won't play the Atmos metadata anyway.
post #11333 of 11929 Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Possibly Blown Denon AVR-X7200WA

My Denon unit is not showing any indication of power on the front panel button, as in a red LED for standby mode. I have checked the power connections thoroughly. What could be wrong?
post #11334 of 11929 Old 08-31-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunshriram View Post
My Denon unit is not showing any indication of power on the front panel button, as in a red LED for standby mode. I have checked the power connections thoroughly. What could be wrong?
If you have disconnected all source cables and speaker wires from the AVR, try doing a microprocessor reset as noted in post 4 of the Owner's thread linked below ..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post26013834
post #11335 of 11929 Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Power Problem

Quote:
If you have disconnected all source cables and speaker wires from the AVR, try doing a microprocessor reset as noted in post 4 of the Owner's thread linked below ..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post26013834

It is not receiving any power from the mains at all, so I can't do anything.
post #11336 of 11929 Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunshriram View Post
It is not receiving any power from the mains at all, so I can't do anything.
Huh? Power from the mains? Try disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable to another outlet and if using a power strip, take it out of the loop and connect directly to an outlet. If still no joy, then time for warranty repair.
post #11337 of 11929 Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Huh? Power from the mains?
I think they refer to the power cable as the "mains cable" in some other countries (i.e. U.K.) - I bet that's what the poster was referring to.
post #11338 of 11929 Old 08-31-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
I think they refer to the power cable as the "mains cable" in some other countries (i.e. U.K.) - I bet that's what the poster was referring to.
Ah. Makes sense now. Thanks.
post #11339 of 11929 Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Help!

Hi All,

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm open to all feedback. Here's my dilemma:

1) I own the x4100w. I recently just purchased a vizio e65e1 (4k display, HDR10), and a 4K appletv. Because of a lack of HDCP 2.2 on the 4100, it is my understanding that I can't use the 4100 as my primary switching device for the setup: It cant pass 4K+HDR through to the display. First off, is that correct? I believe it is.

2) Because of this limitation, I've opted to use the TV as my switching device, and pass audio through it via optical audio (toslink) back through to the 4100. This works, but it's my understanding that now I can't pass Dolby Digital TrueHD/ DTSHD over toslink. It is my understanding that I cannot pass this audio back over ARC and get TrueHD either. Is that also true? Again, I believe it is.

3) Given my scenario, do I have any options outside of buying a new receiver? I feel I'm in a position where I need to compromise and Id rather not: 4K +HDR with a step down for audio at just 5.1, or TrueHD audio and just opt for 1080P. My choice is to opt for the superior image, but I'd rather not. My goal: 4K HDR + TrueHD/DTS-HD with my current setup.

I'm seeing some interesting info regarding the HDFury products. Am I headed in the right direction here?

Again, any and all feedback welcome. I really appreciate any thought you folks want to give to this challenge.

Last edited by aggrobot; 10-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #11340 of 11929 Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrobot View Post
Hi All,

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm open to all feedback. Here's my dilemma:

1) I own the x4100w. I recently just purchased a vizio e65e1 (4k display, HDR10), and a 4K appletv. Because of a lack of HDCP 2.2 on the 4100, it is my understanding that I can't use the 4100 as my primary switching device for the setup: It cant pass 4K+HDR through to the display. First off, is that correct? I believe it is.

2) Because of this limitation, I've opted to use the TV as my switching device, and pass audio through it via optical audio (toslink) back through to the 4100. This works, but it's my understanding that now I can't pass Dolby Digital TrueHD/ DTSHD over toslink. It is my understanding that I cannot pass this audio back over ARC and get TrueHD either. Is that also true? Again, I believe it is.

3) Given my scenario, do I have any options outside of buying a new receiver? I feel I'm in a position where I need to compromise and Id rather not: 4K +HDR with a step down for audio at just 5.1, or TrueHD audio and just opt for 1080P. My choice is to opt for the superior image, but I'd rather not. My goal: 4K HDR + TrueHD/DTS-HD with my current setup.

I'm seeing some interesting info regarding the HDFury products. Am I headed in the right direction here?

Again, any and all feedback welcome. I really appreciate any thought you folks want to give to this challenge.
I have the same receiver. The least expensive route would be the upcoming HDFury AVR-Key. It does exactly the same thing as the dual outputs on many UHD disc players: separate the UHD input stream into a 4K UHD video output and an HDMI 1.4 HD Audio-only output.
aggrobot likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(X4100/X5200/X7200) , compatibility , denon avr x4100w , help a n00b , receiver advice , remote , X4100 , X4100W , X5200W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page