The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200) - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9247Likes

post #11671 of 11819 Old 09-14-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Don't get me wrong, the thing sounds great, but there seems to be too many glitches with the internet connectivity and the associated online capabilities. It keeps losing the login credentials for SiriusXM, and keeps dropping the signal when playing SXM. Now I have to go through the hassle of re-entering my SXM credentials.

Also, I don't have the 5200 connected to my 4K TV because the 5200 is not fully compatible with UHD signals. I connect my Oppo 203 directly to the TV and send its audio HDMI output to the 5200. This means I cannot see the GUI of the 5200 on my TV, which makes it difficult to enter the SiriusXM login credentials.

Would the Denon X6300 solve my UHD compatibility problems? The 6300 can now be had for ~$1500.
Yes, the X6300 is compatible with 4K UHD, unlike the 5200.

Its networking hardware and software might or might not be any better, though. D&M's network implementation doesn't have the best reputation, and sometimes some brands of network routers work better with D&M equipment than others. Also, hardwired ethernet tends to be better than WiFi.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 11819 Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the thing sounds great, but there seems to be too many glitches with the internet connectivity and the associated online capabilities. It keeps losing the login credentials for SiriusXM, and keeps dropping the signal when playing SXM. Now I have to go through the hassle of re-entering my SXM credentials.

Also, I don't have the 5200 connected to my 4K TV because the 5200 is not fully compatible with UHD signals. I connect my Oppo 203 directly to the TV and send its audio HDMI output to the 5200. This means I cannot see the GUI of the 5200 on my TV, which makes it difficult to enter the SiriusXM login credentials.

Would the Denon X6300 solve my UHD compatibility problems? The 6300 can now be had for ~$1500.
I can not speak to SXM issues as I do not use that service.... but have you tried a network reset for the 5200? along with rebooting your router? Are you using wifi or hard wired ethernet? Or what do you mean by losing signal? I have heard of there being issues with SXM online service itself...Have you contacted Denon support with your SXM issues?

With regards to full UHD compatability, you should have known before purchasing the 5200, that while it could indeed pass 4K signals (up to 24p), it was not HDCP 2.2 compliant. So, yes it will not work properly with fully copy protection compliant 4K sources as far as the video, but I do not see why that should be an issue when using the SXM network service option and hooked up to your 4K TV. You should only have to switch to a different TV HDMI input when using your Oppo 4K source.. All of your other inputs should be able to be run to your TV with the graphic overlay intact... unless of course you have video conversion shut off in your 5200 menu settings.

If you wish to upgrade to a newer model, you could also just go 1 year newer than the 5200... with the Denon 4200 or 6200 to be fully 4K compliant...and maybe save some coin in the used market..
post #11673 of 11819 Old 09-14-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I can not speak to SXM issues as I do not use that service.... but have you tried a network reset for the 5200? along with rebooting your router? Are you using wifi or hard wired ethernet? Or what do you mean by losing signal? I have heard of there being issues with SXM online service itself...Have you contacted Denon support with your SXM issues?

With regards to full UHD compatability, you should have known before purchasing the 5200, that while it could indeed pass 4K signals (up to 24p), it was not HDCP 2.2 compliant. So, yes it will not work properly with fully copy protection compliant 4K sources as far as the video, but I do not see why that should be an issue when using the SXM network service option and hooked up to your 4K TV. You should only have to switch to a different TV HDMI input when using your Oppo 4K source.. All of your other inputs should be able to be run to your TV with the graphic overlay intact... unless of course you have video conversion shut off in your 5200 menu settings.

If you wish to upgrade to a newer model, you could also just go 1 year newer than the 5200... with the Denon 4200 or 6200 to be fully 4K compliant...and maybe save some coin in the used market..

It's not that the 5200 is losing it's wi-fi connection. Rather, somehow the SiriusXM feature seems to just cut out for a while, and sometimes I have to back out of the SXM feature and then start it again. Sometimes all the Internet Radio features seem to get locked up, which a soft reset usually fixes. This thing that happened yesterday in which the 5200 somehow lost the SXM log in credentials has not happened before.

Wow, I don't post here to get lectured about what I should or should not have known or bought. I actually won the 5200 in a give away on another A/V forum, and that happened a couple years before I ever bought a 4K TV.

Yes, I looked and my TV has 4 HDMI inputs, so I was able to run another HDMI cable and see the output of the 5200, so I was able to re-enter my SXM credentials.

Thanks for the tip about the 6200. I wasn't aware that the 6200 was a year newer than the 5200 and fully 4K compliant. I thought I would have to go to the 6300. I do not want to go with a 3000 or 4000 series Denon. I just need to make sure that the 6200 has SiriusXM, Pandora, and will play DSD over HDMI for my SACDs that I play from my Oppo. I also need it to play my DVD-Audio titles. And I need it to have the Media Server feature that the 5200 has, so I can stream my flac files over my wi-fi network from my laptop pc. Now, if Denon will just fix the Pandora feature, I'll be happy.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11674 of 11819 Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip about the 6200. I wasn't aware that the 6200 was a year newer than the 5200 and fully 4K compliant.
Yup: the 5200 was released in 2014 along with the various ...100w models of Denon receivers. My suspicion has been that they were hoping they'd be able to avoid replacing that model for two years, but that didn't work out.
Quote:
I thought I would have to go to the 6300. I do not want to go with a 3000 or 4000 series Denon. I just need to make sure that the 6200 has SiriusXM, Pandora, and will play DSD over HDMI for my SACDs that I play from my Oppo.
You might still want to get the AVR-X6300H because it includes HEOS. HEOS provides both a new file streaming interface (which requires a smartphone or tablet) and support for wireless speakers in other Zones.

You can learn some of the 6200's capabilities from its owner's manual, which can be downloaded from https://www.avsforum.com/forum/newre...ply&p=56811570
I write "some" because some of its limitations are not mentioned: when played from USB or DLNA, DSD and FLAC are limited to stereo 2.0. Multichannel 5.1 DSD signals can only be decoded when they're received over HDMI. Multichannel FLAC files have to be translated to PCM over HDMI. These channel-count limitations are still unchanged even in current (2018) ...500H models.
Quote:
I also need it to play my DVD-Audio titles.
That's a disc format which has to be handled in the disc player. The receiver doesn't care that the audio (and video) signals originate from a DVD-A disc.
Quote:
And I need it to have the Media Server feature that the 5200 has, so I can stream my flac files over my wi-fi network from my laptop pc.
See my comment about DLNA limitations above. They've been unchanged for a long time, although higher DSD bitrates do seem to be supported by more recent receivers. (and beware that WiFi can have its own bitrate limitations. My experience has been that using the 2.4 GHz frequency range usually results in dropouts when playing a multichannel FLAC, and hardwired ethernet is much more reliable.)
Quote:
Now, if Denon will just fix the Pandora feature, I'll be happy.
That problem has been eliminated in the models which support HEOS, including the AVR-X6300H, apparently because the security certificate negotiation no longer happens in the receiver itself. Apparently it happens in the smartphone or tablet app used to initiate the audio stream.

Selden

post #11675 of 11819 Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Yup: the 5200 was released in 2014 along with the various ...100w models of Denon receivers. My suspicion has been that they were hoping they'd be able to avoid replacing that model for two years, but that didn't work out.

You might still want to get the AVR-X6300H because it includes HEOS. HEOS provides both a new file streaming interface (which requires a smartphone or tablet) and support for wireless speakers in other Zones.

You can learn some of the 6200's capabilities from its owner's manual, which can be downloaded from https://www.avsforum.com/forum/newre...ply&p=56811570
I write "some" because some of its limitations are not mentioned: when played from USB or DLNA, DSD and FLAC are limited to stereo 2.0. Multichannel 5.1 DSD signals can only be decoded when they're received over HDMI. Multichannel FLAC files have to be translated to PCM over HDMI. These channel-count limitations are still unchanged even in current (2018) ...500H models.

That's a disc format which has to be handled in the disc player. The receiver doesn't care that the audio (and video) signals originate from a DVD-A disc.

See my comment about DLNA limitations above. They've been unchanged for a long time, although higher DSD bitrates do seem to be supported by more recent receivers. (and beware that WiFi can have its own bitrate limitations. My experience has been that using the 2.4 GHz frequency range usually results in dropouts when playing a multichannel FLAC, and hardwired ethernet is much more reliable.)

That problem has been eliminated in the models which support HEOS, including the AVR-X6300H, apparently because the security certificate negotiation no longer happens in the receiver itself. Apparently it happens in the smartphone or tablet app used to initiate the audio stream.

Thanks for the info. All my current flac files are stereo. Also, my Oppo HDMI Audio Format is set to Bitstream, so I assume the 5200 is decoding the DVD-Audio discs, but I admit I probably don't understand exactly how that works.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #11676 of 11819 Old 09-15-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. All my current flac files are stereo. Also, my Oppo HDMI Audio Format is set to Bitstream, so I assume the 5200 is decoding the DVD-Audio discs, but I admit I probably don't understand exactly how that works.
While the disc format is slightly unusual (in that not all disc players can read it), the audio data format is PCM, either stereo or multichannel. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio) Many DVD-A discs include a Dolby Digital track, too. You can verify which is being sent to the receiver by pressing the Info button on the receiver's remote. It'll display the incoming audio format (among other information) on your TV.

Selden

post #11677 of 11819 Old 10-24-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Hmmm, all the other "Official" Denon threads are very active, and this one (ours) has a last post of over a month ago. Guess I was just feeling left out. Safe to say 2014 was a good year for Denon AVRs?
mtrot likes this.
post #11678 of 11819 Old 10-25-2018, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22012 Post(s)
Liked: 11935
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
Hmmm, all the other "Official" Denon threads are very active, and this one (ours) has a last post of over a month ago. Guess I was just feeling left out. Safe to say 2014 was a good year for Denon AVRs?
Considering most forum posts are regarding issues or "how to", there's apparently no longer any reason to post on a 4 year old model which is a good thing.
legierk likes this.
post #11679 of 11819 Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hi all,

suddenly there is no volume and sound format display on the tv. however, setup and option can been displayed in the tv.

when I press setup or option, the tv will black out for few seconds before showing the menu. this does not happen previously.

I have tried soft reset mulitple times and unplug the power cord and all hdmi cable but to no avail.

is microprocessor / factory reset necessary?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #11680 of 11819 Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
I just update my 6200W to DV and I'm happy camper.All is now 4K HDR DV if available. So I'm set up for now. Only what I find out if I do HDR I have denon on screen menu when it is DV menu is not on screen just on Denon display. Like I want to change type of sound. if is regular TV or 4k HDR still same all on screen but if is DV then I can't get it on screen , any idea why?

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
post #11681 of 11819 Old 10-29-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
It's not that the 5200 is losing it's wi-fi connection. Rather, somehow the SiriusXM feature seems to just cut out for a while, and sometimes I have to back out of the SXM feature and then start it again. Sometimes all the Internet Radio features seem to get locked up, which a soft reset usually fixes. This thing that happened yesterday in which the 5200 somehow lost the SXM log in credentials has not happened before.

Wow, I don't post here to get lectured about what I should or should not have known or bought. I actually won the 5200 in a give away on another A/V forum, and that happened a couple years before I ever bought a 4K TV.

Yes, I looked and my TV has 4 HDMI inputs, so I was able to run another HDMI cable and see the output of the 5200, so I was able to re-enter my SXM credentials.

Thanks for the tip about the 6200. I wasn't aware that the 6200 was a year newer than the 5200 and fully 4K compliant. I thought I would have to go to the 6300. I do not want to go with a 3000 or 4000 series Denon. I just need to make sure that the 6200 has SiriusXM, Pandora, and will play DSD over HDMI for my SACDs that I play from my Oppo. I also need it to play my DVD-Audio titles. And I need it to have the Media Server feature that the 5200 has, so I can stream my flac files over my wi-fi network from my laptop pc. Now, if Denon will just fix the Pandora feature, I'll be happy.
Just from my experiance, if you can get 6200W it is amazing AVR and will give you all latest what you need pass thru to your display. I'm very happy with it now I have finally on Sony TV DV logo when I play DV disk with Oppo or streaming on Apple TV.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
post #11682 of 11819 Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Quoted: 22012 Post(s)
Liked: 11935
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I just update my 6200W to DV and I'm happy camper.All is now 4K HDR DV if available. So I'm set up for now. Only what I find out if I do HDR I have denon on screen menu when it is DV menu is not on screen just on Denon display. Like I want to change type of sound. if is regular TV or 4k HDR still same all on screen but if is DV then I can't get it on screen , any idea why?
Oops! Wrong thread. The X6200W is discussed in the 2015 Denon AVR Owner's thread.
post #11683 of 11819 Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 183
In 2016 I was in the market for a new AVR after HK replaced my defective HD7500 with an AVR3700 (which was junk) I did a ton of research and the 7200WA, and Anthem MRX720 were my last two standing. I got the Anthem and was horribly underwhelmed both with performance and customer service.

I put up with the myriad shortcomings and yesterday got a X7200WA. So far I love it (getting used to a ton of differences in the settings is a learning curve) but already without doing the Audyssey set up it sounds better.

I really like the web interface for set up. It makes renaming the inputs simple.

Wish I had gone this way in the first place.

Denon AVR-X7200WA, SVS Prime Tower & Ultra Center, Klipsch R-2650 HSU VTF-15H MK2, Sony XBR 75X940D & 75X910C, OPPO BDP-93, Panasonic DP-UB820, Sony UBP-X800, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, Hopper 3, HTPC, Technics SL-BD22D
post #11684 of 11819 Old 11-04-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Flickr?

BTW, is the Flickr feature on the 5200 supposed to work? It seems like it just says, "no connection", or something like that.

post #11685 of 11819 Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
BTW, is the Flickr feature on the 5200 supposed to work? It seems like it just says, "no connection", or something like that.
No, see here. Item 6......

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #11686 of 11819 Old 11-04-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
No, see here. Item 6......

Thanks. Wow, Denon didn't keep that feature working for long, did they?!

post #11687 of 11819 Old 11-05-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Gee, wonderful to see that most all other affected models have received their Pandora fix...except for the 5200.. .which has been pushed back from October to next year February! WTH?
post #11688 of 11819 Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Gee, wonderful to see that most all other affected models have received their Pandora fix...except for the 5200.. .which has been pushed back from October to next year February! WTH?

Well, that's just dandy. Especially considering that the 5200 was the next to the top AVR that year. You'd think they could get this fixed.

post #11689 of 11819 Old 11-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Well, that's just dandy. Especially considering that the 5200 was the next to the top AVR that year. You'd think they could get this fixed.
I feel your pain, my 4100W just got pushed to February from October as well too. Denon has no excuse, it's nothing but embarrassing.
toddman36 likes this.
post #11690 of 11819 Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks. Wow, Denon didn't keep that feature working for long, did they?!

When it did work for a short period of time, I found that flickr was better on Denon than any other systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11691 of 11819 Old 11-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apple TV not Working after update.

Hi Guys,

I just updated my 7200WA to the latest firmware and all of the sudden my Apple 4K TV does not work through the receiver. I have no idea what has changed. The Apple TV was working correctly prior to the update. Any ideas what may have happen or is there a setting that gets changed? I have a Sony 940C as my monitor. The cable box and Blu Ray work correctly after the update. I can't access the main menu of the apple tv. I tried a reset, but did not work on both the apple tv and denon. Thanks for your help!!
post #11692 of 11819 Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylo1 View Post
Hi Guys,

I just updated my 7200WA to the latest firmware and all of the sudden my Apple 4K TV does not work through the receiver. I have no idea what has changed. The Apple TV was working correctly prior to the update. Any ideas what may have happen or is there a setting that gets changed? I have a Sony 940C as my monitor. The cable box and Blu Ray work correctly after the update. I can't access the main menu of the apple tv. I tried a reset, but did not work on both the apple tv and denon. Thanks for your help!!
Start with checking Apple 4K TV firmware for any updates. Then cables... Denon wants you to be using better cables with their newer firmwares than they used to, so that's a possibility also. Certified premium hdmi cables fixed me up at one point, between my tv and the receiver, and possibly also by upgrading those I was using between the receiver and the devices I was having issues with.
post #11693 of 11819 Old 11-18-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Had a few questions. I reconfigured my system and removed the Front Wides (I never used them). I also removed the extra amp that was powering the Top Fronts, thinking I could just use all internal amps on the X4100. However, now most sound modes do not have the SB channels. The Top channels work fine and seem to be the default when set to "Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround". I have amp assign configured for 9.1. I scrolled through the choices hoping to see a 7.1+Top (Atmos), but it is not there.

So, do I need to hook up another amp (again) to get the fronts, center, surround, surround backs and tops to work simultaneously? It's no problem to hook up another amp. In fact, I was thinking I could used a lower powered amp for the fronts, as the trims on them (Klipsch La Scalas) is at -12.0). Maybe I am confusing the 4311 (which is now relegated to 5.1 duty in the living room) with the X4100. Will the X4100 allow me to reassign the fronts then configure the tops and backs to play at the same time (off the internal amps)? Or do I just have to add the amp for the tops?

I could just run my 5 channel Fosgate (75wpc) for the fronts, and the tops, killing two birds with one stone. However, my sub and shaker amps are sucking a lot of juice, and I have tripped a breaker when watching loud Atmos movies. One of the reasons I wanted to remove the extra amp.

Thanks for any assistance.

Edit: I think the manual has answered my questions. It is not possible to play 9.1 channels without an external amp. I guess I am used to the 4311 which would do 11.1 channels. At any rate, I will go and hook up the old Fosgate.

Last edited by legierk; 11-18-2018 at 02:04 PM.
post #11694 of 11819 Old 11-18-2018, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
The X4100W has 7 amps built in and can process 9 channels max. So yes you need external amps to run a 9 channel setup.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11695 of 11819 Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The X4100W has 7 amps built in and can process 9 channels max. So yes you need external amps to run a 9 channel setup.
Hooked up the Fosgate and running the FL, FR, TFL and TFR off it. Still, the surround backs won't come on. Hmmm. I must have a configuration issue. At least not in Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. If I change to DTS Neo X, the tops turn off and the backs come on. Is there not a setting that will enable both?
post #11696 of 11819 Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
Quote:
Hooked up the Fosgate and running the FL, FR, TFL and TFR off it. Still, the surround backs won't come on. Hmmm. I must have a configuration issue. At least not in Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. If I change to DTS Neo X, the tops turn off and the backs come on. Is there not a setting that will enable both?
You have to reconfigure the speakers settings (amp assign / speaker config) to let the AVR know what you are doing, and which 2 speakers have external amplification so it can redirect the 7 internal amps as needed. If you don't do this right, it thinks all 7 amps are needed for the other speakers so when you get to 5.1.2 it thinks it's out of amps and the SB speakers are silent. Neo:X doesn't activate the TF speakers so all 7 amps are available for the 7.1 base layer.

You need to set Amp Assign to 9.1ch, set to “2 Height Speakers” in the height layout sub-menu, and then set the "Pre-out" setting to one of Surr Back, Front, or Top Front and make sure the external amp is hooked up to those channels (you can also use it for other channels, but that's the minimum).

See here: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4100W/E...SYnrjkezpv.php

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11697 of 11819 Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
You need to set Amp Assign to 9.1ch, set to “2 Height Speakers” in the height layout sub-menu, and then set the "Pre-out" setting to one of Surr Back, Front, or Top Front and make sure the external amp is hooked up to those channels (you can also use it for other channels, but that's the minimum).

See here: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4100W/E...SYnrjkezpv.php
Thank you. I had this working before, and changed things around. I think I need to make changes in the Amp Assign beyond just designating 9.1 channels. I will have a look there tonight.

OK. I think I see the problem from looking at the manual descriptions. I need to ensure the layout and preamp out is set to the Top Fronts. Hmmm. Will check this when I get home. Since I scrolled through the available settings, it could have defaulted back to the SB channels for the preamp outs.

Edit 5:48PM

OK. I am an idiot. The Amp Assign was on 7.1...somehow. I scrolled through when making changes this past weekend, but must not have left it on 9.1. Anyhow, all is good now. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Last edited by legierk; 11-19-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #11698 of 11819 Old 11-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Denon AVR-X4100W

I bought a Denon AVR-X4100W in 2015, and it work(ed) great with my Samsung UN55H6350 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV. Then we moved to a new home which has an AV-closet with an HDMI cable that runs from the closet through the wall up to the TV. Now the Denon no longer sends any output to the television in the living room!

When you plug my AT&T box or the Apple TV directly into the TV using the HDMI cable running through the wall, it works fine. Only the Denon won't send any output. I've tested the Denon with the other televisions in my house and it works fine, the living room is the only problem. Any advice?
post #11699 of 11819 Old 11-24-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just spitballing here. I'm thinking just because the [email protected] and Apple devices work on that cable, does not mean the Denon will. I have seen cables that work on various pieces of gear but not all. So I'd be suspicious of the cable. You did say the Denon works fine with other cables in the house right? Just not that ONE cable?
post #11700 of 11819 Old 11-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Just spitballing here. I'm thinking just because the [email protected] and Apple devices work on that cable, does not mean the Denon will. I have seen cables that work on various pieces of gear but not all. So I'd be suspicious of the cable. You did say the Denon works fine with other cables in the house right? Just not that ONE cable?
Correct. I've never heard of an HDMI cable not working with a specific piece of equipment before. The house was built in 2013 so the cable can't be much older than that.

As an aside, the Apple TV when plugged into that cable emits a faint static, but again works fine on other televisions in the home, so I suppose that makes sense. Any advice? The cable runs through the wall about 20 feet, and I definitely don't want to bust out the wall to fix this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(X4100/X5200/X7200) , compatibility , denon avr x4100w , help a n00b , receiver advice , remote , X4100 , X4100W , X5200W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page