Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2556Likes

post #6991 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
oh I see...lol, it gets confusing with Dirac Live v1 and v2 and then 2.0 coming. Amazing results with v2, wonder how 2.0 will be different....

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3651 Post(s)
Liked: 4380
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
oh I see...lol, it gets confusing with Dirac Live v1 and v2 and then 2.0 coming. Amazing results with v2, wonder how 2.0 will be different....
Here you go!!

https://www.dirac.com/dirac-blog/qa-new-dirac-live
tngiloy and RUR like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #6993 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Thanks for the link.

Q: I see. So how can I get my hands on this beauty?

If you already own a piece of hardware that implements Dirac Live, chances are good that you will get the new software to go with the hardware you already own. Depending on the exact hardware you own, this may happen right away or it will be provided at a later date, if possible.

So who decides we get the new software, Dirac or Emotiva?

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6994 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Thanks for the link.

Q: I see. So how can I get my hands on this beauty?

If you already own a piece of hardware that implements Dirac Live, chances are good that you will get the new software to go with the hardware you already own. Depending on the exact hardware you own, this may happen right away or it will be provided at a later date, if possible.

So who decides we get the new software, Dirac or Emotiva?
Like I mentioned before, it's up to Emotiva. I asked Flavio about this and he said that it's Emotiva decision to implement DL 2.0 or not. Right now DL 2.0 is in beta testing for NAD and Arcam receivers/processors as requested by NAD and Arcam. Emotiva hasn't requested yet to be part of the beta program for DL 2.0.
tngiloy likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 07-26-2018 at 11:03 AM.
post #6995 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
thanks for the link Enrico. I'm quite happy with the current version of Dirac in my RS20 but will definitely give this new version a try if and when it becomes available for it.
I haven't actually gotten around to setting up the dirac full in my XMC1 since moving it to my family room but hopefully soon. I feel bad using such a great prepro in my family room system but there aren't too many prepros that are cheap, sound decent, and have zone 2 outputs to feed the rest of the speakers on my main floor.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #6996 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post
...what the heck is an "Audio Precision analyzer"? I could speculate, but that is all my guess would be.
Glad your unit is on its way home!

Audio Precision is a top-tier test equipment manufacturer. They make some of the highest-performing and most widely-used audio test gear around. Emotiva has (at least) one and uses it for tests. AP units are something most hobbyists cannot afford but most companies should have (and not all do). I have not checked prices lately; they did run from maybe $10k to $50k+ depending upon performance and features. I could well be off by a factor of two, been a few years...

https://www.ap.com/
https://www.ap.com/analyzers-accesso...SAAEgJY9_D_BwE

HTH - Don
MRinDenver likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6997 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Like I mentioned before, it's up to Emotiva. I asked Flavio about this and he said that it's Emotiva decision to implement DL 2.0 or not. Right now DL 2.0 is in beta testing for NAD and Arcam receivers/processors as requested by NAD and Arcam. Emotiva hasn't requested yet to be part of the beta program for DL 2.0.
The question has been put to Emotiva but I cannot for the life of me remember where; here, or maybe on the Emotiva Lounge... IIRC Keith or one of the other Emo reps said they were considering it but that is all I remember.

Based on previous discussions with Dirac Live, they do what vendors request, and it is up to the vendor (manufacturer) to request and specify the implementation. I noticed some features and parameters were not present on Emotiva's version that I saw on other Dirac Live implementations and pinged Dirac Live about it years ago.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6998 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Given all the irons Emo has in the fire already, I gotta think making changes to Dirac is pretty low on their list for the time being.
post #6999 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dirac Live Full Speaker Sync Issues

I have the full version of Dirac Live, and have tried a few times to capture my settings and upload them to my XMC-1. This worked fine the first time. I moved furniture around, and captured everything again. I'm not sure why, but the speakers are now out of sync with each other: on a baseball game, the announcing voices are out of sync between the center and the fronts - the fronts are delayed behind the center. When listening to music in 2.1, the sub woofer is more than a quarter second behind the fronts.

I went hunting for similar problems, and found something talking about how there were pan issues that showed up unless all the settings were applied following a factory reset. I tried performing a reset and then downloading prior filters, and this did not work. I'm going to try one more time to perform a reset, then perform the entire Dirac process, but I'm not feeling very confident about this. Dirac is running on a machine running Win7, if that seems like it might make a difference.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm really wondering if this is more a software or capture issue rather than an XMC-1 issue.
post #7000 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ9 View Post
I have the full version of Dirac Live, and have tried a few times to capture my settings and upload them to my XMC-1. This worked fine the first time. I moved furniture around, and captured everything again. I'm not sure why, but the speakers are now out of sync with each other: on a baseball game, the announcing voices are out of sync between the center and the fronts - the fronts are delayed behind the center. When listening to music in 2.1, the sub woofer is more than a quarter second behind the fronts.

I went hunting for similar problems, and found something talking about how there were pan issues that showed up unless all the settings were applied following a factory reset. I tried performing a reset and then downloading prior filters, and this did not work. I'm going to try one more time to perform a reset, then perform the entire Dirac process, but I'm not feeling very confident about this. Dirac is running on a machine running Win7, if that seems like it might make a difference.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm really wondering if this is more a software or capture issue rather than an XMC-1 issue.
Something similar happened to me one time when I tried to take measurements using the "Chair" mic positions option instead of "Sofa". The result was the sound stage was shifted to the right side by about 5dB. Then took measurements with "Sofa" mic positions and everything was normal again.

post #7001 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5273 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
For what it's worth, my self-installed 4k board is working perfectly. Inputs are Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV C61K, Chromecast 4k, Roku Ultra 4k, FiOS HD, XBOX One (not 4k). TV is an LG OLED65B6P.
Does the OSD overlay atop Dolby Vision? HLG?
post #7002 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
For Dolby Vision, yes it does. I would assume the same is true for HLG. Wilbur can answer that for sure once they get the firmware issues with his C61K resolved.
post #7003 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The C61K works fine after 5.1a. And yes, the OSD works perfectly.

Everything is working great now - just some minor usability glitches which I'd rate a 1 on a 1-10 scale of importance. In no way do they affect my use of the XMC-1.
post #7004 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For those lucky enough to get DV pass through from the XMC-1, yes, it does OSD overlay atop DV . I'm not getting DV yet on my Sony X930E, only HDR with banding. However, my New Marantz SR6013 which has the same Panasonic chips found on the V3 HDMI board, it does overlay volume bar and info OSD with 4K/60Hz HDR and Dolby Vision content.

post #7005 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I'm getting DV thru my Chromecast and Oppo UDP-203 with an LG OLED B6.
post #7006 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I'm getting DV thru my Chromecast and Oppo UDP-203 with an LG OLED B6.
Most OLED 6 Series owners are getting DV. Most OLED 7 Series and Sony TV owners are not getting DV. The LG OLED 6 Series only does DV at 30Hz, though.

post #7007 of 7489 Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosifee View Post
Given all the irons Emo has in the fire already, I gotta think making changes to Dirac is pretty low on their list for the time being.
Given the issues Emotiva is having with the long overdue but finally availiable v3 board, I gotta think that implementing what would seem like a slam dunk is pretty high on their list.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #7008 of 7489 Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 AM

They have limited resources so are hopefully (for me and others) focusing on v3 FW updates for now. Then there is the Atmos board they need to finish off so they can get the RMC-1 out. I suspect Dirac Live 2.0 is low on their list right now, and given their current FW issues they may wait until past the beta cycle. Can't fault them for that.

Posters on the Emotiva Lounge indicate TVs supporting 60 Hz DV are the ones having problems, which includes the new LG OLED C7 I bought last summer (when the v3 board was just "weeks" away, go figure) and newer models (as well as Sony, etc.) I am a little concerned about the mostly silence from Emo personnel over there, and posts here indicating they think everything is fine, that they have backed off the effort to focus on getting the RMC-1 done. No way of really knowing; they could just as well be working feverishly to figure it all out and are waiting until they do. FW bugs and interop issues are always painful and take longer than you'd think. Hopefully they'll restore some of the "broken" features in the OSD and fix the sound mode issues along the way. The former may be more gnarly given the need display resolutions supported; the latter seems like a bug that crept in that would hopefully be an easy fix. (Says the HW guy...)
RichB likes this.

post #7009 of 7489 Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 148
^^^... Don, the Dolby Vision issues do seem to only affect newer Dolby Vision enabled displays which support DV @ 60Hz. I have a 2016 series LG C6 (which does not) and I have no problems receiving Dolby Vision from any source.

I am, however, affected by the HDR banding issue from the Apple TV 4K, but have an effective workaround until a permanent fix is released.

I do know that they are aware of these issues and have dedicated all of their (limited) resources into getting them resolved. I know this to be true because I have been given several "betas" to test in their attempts to get the issue with the ATV4K resolved. None of them have yet been successful, but at least it proves to me that they are indeed working on them with all due diligence.

So, rest assured, they may be silent at the moment (which bothers me too), but they appear to be serious about getting things right before moving on...
DonH50 likes this.
post #7010 of 7489 Old 07-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Wireless member

Switched from dual mono to mono now no sub output

I finally got around to integrating a MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced into my system. I had “issues” with My Dirac calibration inre dual mono subs and moving to a time-aligned dual sub, single channel system was my fix. I switched the XMC-1 to a speaker Preset, set it for “mono” subs and alternately fed that signal to one sub and then the other to gain-match. Wellll, I thought the sub in a single channel sub system configuration would connect to “channel 7” but it was #8 to get output. So, ch #8 it was and I got output.

Next was to connect the MiniDSP, also channel to #8 , and set it up. Done. (What a simple and easy to use interface!) Next I checked sub output with the speaker level feature. I had output with the signal. Then I moved on to running Dirac. During g that I had subwoofer output. Alright, I thought, put in a reference subwoofer movie sequence (the tunnel in Die Hard 4) and thought it needed more bottom. Upped the trim 3db. Listened again and added 3db more and still needed more bottom. That caused me to stand next to the sub and the discovery that I had ZERO sub output. Actually, both subs thump loudly when stopping, pausing and starting the movie. But that’s another post, maybe in the MiniDSP thread.

So, what was up with being able to run a Dirac calibration .. with subs .. and then have zero output when playing content?

I double checked the Dirac settings for proper system configuration and everything seemed correct. Is it bass management? I have the mains all set to small. But I couldn’t find a crossover setting. Yes, it’s been a while since I “visited” setup.

Thoughts anyone?

Jeff

post #7011 of 7489 Old 07-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Wireless member

Aarrgghh, think I miswired an XLR to a Rane BB22. It needed a sex change and I’m pretty sure I reversed the polarity when moving from male to female. (Dumb)

post #7012 of 7489 Old 07-28-2018, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5273 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Aarrgghh, think I miswired an XLR to a Rane BB22. It needed a sex change and I’m pretty sure I reversed the polarity when moving from male to female. (Dumb)
You shouldn't need a sex change unless you miswired something previously.
post #7013 of 7489 Old 07-28-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
May I ask why you need the Rane BB22?

post #7014 of 7489 Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
You shouldn't need a sex change unless you miswired something previously.
The Rane BB22 will balance a single-ended line or unbalance a balanced line, but the XLR connector is male. One output of my MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced drives a balanced line that runs from the gear rack in the rear of the room to the sub amp in the front. Because the sub amp has a singled-ended (only) input, I have a BB22 there to unbalance the line. That MiniDSP output is an XLR male as expected that connects to the XLR female of the line to the front. (It’s actually an 8-channel snake as my 7-channel main amp is there as well.) But the other 2x4 output needs to connect to the rear (identical) sub amp via a BB22, so I took a female XLR-to-pigtail from the unused 2x4 input #2 and wired it to the second output. Unfortunately, I wired it to the connector by following the same color coding THE MALE. Well, doh! I changed the polarity to the correct pinout for the a female XLR and that fixed my problem.

All subs are working as it the MiniDSP and Dirac has a single “sub” to work with. It sounds awesome. Next up is to dive into MSO and optimize the two subs connected to the MiniDSP.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 07-28-2018 at 08:21 PM.
post #7015 of 7489 Old 07-29-2018, 02:54 PM

Emotiva uses the "European" XLR pin-out (although most new gear even there does not follow that convention AFAIK).

@DOC1963 -- Thanks for chiming in; it is users like yourself that make this thread and the Emotiva Lounge worthwhile. I figure it is only a matter of time until I whine once too often over there and am banned... I do wish someone like Keith would pipe in every page or three even if it's just "Still working, please be patient."

Since I only have a couple of DV discs it isn't a big deal for me yet. The audio mode switching issue is a bit of a PITA but between Work and Life I have little time in the media room these days.
DOC1963 likes this.

post #7016 of 7489 Old 07-29-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Emotiva uses the "European" XLR pin-out (although most new gear even there does not follow that convention AFAIK).

@DOC1963 -- Thanks for chiming in; it is users like yourself that make this thread and the Emotiva Lounge worthwhile. I figure it is only a matter of time until I whine once too often over there and am banned... I do wish someone like Keith would pipe in every page or three even if it's just "Still working, please be patient."

Since I only have a couple of DV discs it isn't a big deal for me yet. The audio mode switching issue is a bit of a PITA but between Work and Life I have little time in the media room these days.
I thought DV wasn't a big deal until I got the ATV 4K in which basically all the movies I have in iTunes, most of them physical 4K UHD disks with digital copy, play in Dolby Vision. Same for most movies in ATV 4K Netflix app where all Netflix original movies and Netflix series are now in Dolby Vision. As an example, I have "Hacksaw Ridge" 4K UHD disk which is HDR10. After redeeming the digital copy on Movies Anywhere it shows up in my iTunes movie library and VUDU as a Dolby Vision movie.

post #7017 of 7489 Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Wireless member

I seem to be experiencing a lot of “101” level problems. Am using the USB-to-XLR Mic adapter that comes with the XMC-1 and a calibrated EMM-6 mic that I already owned. (I bought the XMC-1 used and don’t recall if a mic came with it or where it’d be if there was one.) When I plug in the adapter, it shows as C-Media USB Headset. However, my Win 7 x64 sound control panel shows no signal for that device while the “meter” next to the Realtek HD Audio microphone does. So that’s what I used in REW to gain match the subs and in Dirac.

I began questioning my calibration and started thinking about my mic. Should I show output for the USB mic device and use that or is my “sound card” mic the correct device? Is there a specific driver for the USB adapter or is the generic Microsoft driver the correct one? It’s been so long since I ran Dirac that I don’t remember.

Jeff

post #7018 of 7489 Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
I seem to be experiencing a lot of “101” level problems. Am using the USB-to-XLR Mic adapter that comes with the XMC-1 and a calibrated EMM-6 mic that I already owned. (I bought the XMC-1 used and don’t recall if a mic came with it or where it’d be if there was one.) When I plug in the adapter, it shows as C-Media USB Headset. However, my Win 7 x64 sound control panel shows no signal for that device while the “meter” next to the Realtek HD Audio microphone does. So that’s what I used in REW to gain match the subs and in Dirac.

I began questioning my calibration and started thinking about my mic. Should I show output for the USB mic device and use that or is my “sound card” mic the correct device? Is there a specific driver for the USB adapter or is the generic Microsoft driver the correct one? It’s been so long since I ran Dirac that I don’t remember.

Jeff
The cmedia drivers are what shouldr show up when you plug in the cable supplied by emotiva. I use a usb mic calibrated by cross spectrum and load my cal file into dirac. As long as you are using the cal file for the mic you should be good to go. I also have a Emotiva mic that was calibrated by cross spectrum if your interested in trying that i could send it to you. I too have trouble remembering all this stuff since the last time i used the Emo mic was almost 4 years ago. There are some threads over on the emo forum started by ansat that has some detailed instructions for running dirac and what needs to be turned off in windows.
post #7019 of 7489 Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Pepar , i plugged my Emotiva mic and cable into my windows 10 laptop and it shows as the cmedia usb headphone set. In the properties you have to turn of AGC and i believe the mic is to be turned down. i click the configure button to set up the microphone as a standard mic rather than a headset microphone though i dont know if that matter but its what i do. I am not sure why you Windows machine is not using the correct mic, you may have to look around in the properties to turn it on .If i think of anything else i will let you know, it takes me a bit of time to call up unused data from my memory at the time of life LOL

Right click the cmedia device in the sound properties to see if it got disabled by mistake.
post #7020 of 7489 Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
The cmedia drivers are what shouldr show up when you plug in the cable supplied by emotiva. I use a usb mic calibrated by cross spectrum and load my cal file into dirac. As long as you are using the cal file for the mic you should be good to go. I also have a Emotiva mic that was calibrated by cross spectrum if your interested in trying that i could send it to you. I too have trouble remembering all this stuff since the last time i used the Emo mic was almost 4 years ago. There are some threads over on the emo forum started by ansat that has some detailed instructions for running dirac and what needs to be turned off in windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
Pepar , i plugged my Emotiva mic and cable into my windows 10 laptop and it shows as the cmedia usb headphone set. In the properties you have to turn of AGC and i believe the mic is to be turned down. i click the configure button to set up the microphone as a standard mic rather than a headset microphone though i dont know if that matter but its what i do. I am not sure why you Windows machine is not using the correct mic, you may have to look around in the properties to turn it on .If i think of anything else i will let you know, it takes me a bit of time to call up unused data from my memory at the time of life LOL

Right click the cmedia device in the sound properties to see if it got disabled by mistake.
Definitely generic MS drivers are being used by the adapter. I will try to find correct drivers. Maybe that will fix the so, so .. non-existent output level and get the adapter working properly. It’s Windows 7, so that might mean it needs different drivers. What is really puzzling is that it all worked perfectly two hrs ago.

Many of my files are corrupted as well.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page