Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2556Likes

post #7141 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The XMC-1 with V5.4B2 firmware is now rock solid and problem free as it was with the original HDMI board...
That's good news, Enrico. Thanks for the post.

Looks like I need to make some time to finally install my v3 board and get rid of my workarounds.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 148
@Retina ... the short answer is, yes, for your intended purpose, the XMC-1 is exactly what you’re looking for. Most XMC-1 owners will tell you (myself included) that “music” is where it shines and separates it from the rest of the AVPs at, or near, its price. Dirac is among the best digital room correction software solutions currently available and will do a fine job with the room you’ve described.

If you’re patient, you’re sure to find a used XMC-1 for about half of your budgeted price as current XMC-1 owners upgrade to the new RMC-1. You’ll find them here on AVS as well as in the “Emporium” over on the Emotiva Lounge.

Be aware, though, that when buying used, the remaining term of the 5 year manufacturer’s warranty is fully transferable to you, but the Dirac user license is not. However, the cost of a new license (for Dirac “Full”) is only $99 and can be purchased directly through Emotiva.

Hope this helps...
RichB, Bill Mac and Retina like this.

Last edited by DOC1963; 12-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
post #7143 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina View Post
Hi Guys, writing for some help after a long time.

My Integra 9.9 receiver seems to have died and I am looking to get a new one.

My current set up is:

Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 from 2009 when I first set up the system.
Speakers: KEF R700 pair, R600c Center, R400sub and small Definitive rears.
The dead Integra which is the main processing unit.

I mainly use the system for listening to music which I source from Spotify and feed through a Sonos device. I don't use it much for movies (have a separate HT for this), though this may change since we just bought a big Sony TV.

So my needs are mainly audio oriented though I may indeed start watching more movies and such in the den where this system is.

The room is basically a large family room with a kitchen on one side and a small dining area and then the rectangular den where the TV is. That is where I spend most of my time listening to stuff or watching movies with my wife. The acoustics are quite challenging of course, given that there are all these glass windows around on one side and the big open kitchen on the other. Over the years I have not been very happy with the sound an last year upgraded my old speakers to the KEF which did make a difference.

Now that the Integra has died, this may be an opportunity for me to upgrade the receiver too. I am not really interested in 7.1 or 9.1 systems as the room does not allow any more speaker placement, so am happy with the old Emotiva amp and my 5.1 setup.

I am looking to do the following:

1. Replace the dead Integra

2. Improve the sound quality given the limitations of the room and acoustics therein.

3. Perhaps use the gear for a better movie watching experience in the process.

Is the Emotiva XMC-1 good value for money in that price range for my needs? My upper limit for this purchase is around $3000. I am generally not the kind of guy that likes to fiddle around too much and certainly don't want an overly complicated set up. However, I am very computer savvy and can do the audio tuning of the room with my Mac using the Dirac module, which is what attracts me to the Emotiva.

have been out of the loop for very long, so need some help. Thanks in Advance.
The XMC-1 is an excellent processor. I owned an Integra pre-pro before my XMC-1 (80.3 if my memory serves me correctly) and the XMC-1 blew it away. Before the Integra I had an Anthem D2v and the XMC-1 with Dirac matches the Anthem with ARC.
Since you already have a 5-ch amp, the only other equipment you should buy is the Dirac Full and a calibrated mic to run Dirac. An additional @$250. Well worth it IMHO. I'm guessing you already have the mic. I don't know if your version of Dirac will work with the XMC-1 or how it matches up to Dirac full, but if it's at least its equal then all you need is the XMC-1.
Bill Mac, Retina and russbert like this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7144 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
@Retina ... the short answer is, yes, for your intended purpose, the XMC-1 is exactly what you’re looking for. Most XMC-1 owners will tell you (myself included) that “music” is where it shines and separates it from the rest of the AVPs at, or near, its price. Dirac is among the best digital room correction software solutions currently available and will do a fine job with the room you’ve described.

If you’re patient, you’re sure to find a used XMC-1 for about half of your budgeted price as current XMC-1 owners upgrade to the new RMC-1. You’ll find them here on AVS as well as in the “Emporium” over on the Emotiva Lounge.

Be aware, though, that when buying used, the remaining term of the 5 year manufacturer’s warranty is fully transferable to you, but the Dirac user license is not. However, the cost of a new license (for Dirac “Full”) is only $99 and can be purchased directly through Emotiva.

Hope this helps...
Thanks Doc, seems like the XMC-1 is the right prescription for me

One thing I've read about is the HDMI upgrades to 2.0b with the newer versions of the receiver. Is there a big difference between the HDMI 1.4 and the 2.0b versions of the receiver (other than the obvious)?

And I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, would like to get the system going before the Holidays, as would have family over then.
post #7145 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked: 4376
Quote:
Thanks Doc, seems like the XMC-1 is the right prescription for me

One thing I've read about is the HDMI upgrades to 2.0b with the newer versions of the receiver. Is there a big difference between the HDMI 1.4 and the 2.0b versions of the receiver (other than the obvious)?

And I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, would like to get the system going before the Holidays, as would have family over then.
If you purchase brand new from Emotiva , the XMC-1 will come with V3 HDMI board (4K, HDR and Dolby Vision). The HDMI 1.4 version is not available anymore unless you buy used. The V3 HDMI board upgrade gave to some of us a hard time as at the beginning came plagued with very nasty bugs. Now after almost 6 months and about 10 firmwares updates including some private betas, the V5.4B2 firmware seems to be very solid and it has fixed all of my issues. According to Lonnie, the final V5.4 firmware will be released next week and most probably that's the one the will be loaded in your XMC-1 if you place an order next week.
Retina and DOC1963 like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7146 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
The XMC-1 is an excellent processor. I owned an Integra pre-pro before my XMC-1 (80.3 if my memory serves me correctly) and the XMC-1 blew it away. Before the Integra I had an Anthem D2v and the XMC-1 with Dirac matches the Anthem with ARC.
Since you already have a 5-ch amp, the only other equipment you should buy is the Dirac Full and a calibrated mic to run Dirac. An additional @$250. Well worth it IMHO. I'm guessing you already have the mic. I don't know if your version of Dirac will work with the XMC-1 or how it matches up to Dirac full, but if it's at least its equal then all you need is the XMC-1.
Actually, I don't have a mic, since my XPA-5 amp is 9 yrs old. If I had one in the past don't know where it is now

Since the acoustics of the room are challenging, I would love to tune the processor with Dirac which from what I am reading is really helpful. But as yet I don't understand what "Dirac Full" is and how it differs from what the XMC-1 offers.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry, yes, I see on Emotiva's site what 'Dirac Full' is.

Last edited by Retina; 12-01-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #7147 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If you purchase brand new from Emotiva , the XMC-1 will come with V3 HDMI board (4K, HDR and Dolby Vision). The HDMI 1.4 version is not available anymore unless you buy used. The V3 HDMI board upgrade gave to some of us a hard time as at the beginning came plagued with very nasty bugs. Now after almost 6 months and about 10 firmwares updates including some private betas, the V5.4B2 firmware seems to be very solid and it has fixed all of my issues. According to Lonnie, the final V5.4 firmware will be released next week and most probably that's the one the will be loaded in your XMC-1 if you place an order next week.
Enrico, thanks that is very helpful.

I am leaning towards ordering a new unit and will wait until next week, maybe call them before I order it. At this time money is not such a big issue (the Gods have been kind ).

Last edited by Retina; 12-01-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #7148 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Actually, I don't have a mic, since my XPA-5 amp is 9 yrs old. If I had one in the past don't know where it is now

Since the acoustics of the room are challenging, I would love to tune the processor with Dirac which from what I am reading is really helpful. But as yet I don't understand what "Dirac Full" is and how it differs from what the XMC-1 offers.

Thanks for your post.
Dirac Live Full is an add-on purchase that can be made at the time of purchase of the XMC-1 available at checkout. It is like Anthem's ARC or Audyssey Pro in that you have much flexibility and input into your solutions.
The Dirac Live is good. It does an automatic reading and uploads the correction without offering you much input. With Full you can set limits for how high of a frequency you want to correct and boost or reduce levels- make it different for fronts or center or surrounds or sub.
If you decide to buy a calibrated mic I strongly recommend Cross Spectrum Labs.
The XMC-1 website lists a 'calibrated mic' included. When I bought my XMC-1 the mic had a 'general' calibration. All mics came with the same calibration. If this has changed then you would not need an individually calibrated mic. I don't think that's the case though.
https://emotiva.com/products/dirac-l...ll-for-emotiva
Retina likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."

Last edited by tngiloy; 12-01-2018 at 09:53 AM.
post #7149 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Enrico, thanks that is very helpful.

I am leaning towards ordering a new unit and will wait until next week, maybe call them before I order it. At this time money is not such a big issue (the Gods have been kind ).
Just keep in mind, if you do decide to purchase new, Emotiva has stated that the XMC-1’s that they currently have in stock is all there will ever be. They are concentrating on the newer platforms, all based around the new RMC-1, of which the new XMC-2 will be released. The XMC-2 will be the official replacement for the XMC-1, but will be higher in cost (due to Atmos/DTS X being already onboard) and won’t be available until sometime next year.

As of the last report, there are only a few XMC-1s left. So, if you want a new one, I wouldn’t wait too long...
post #7150 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would grab an XMC-1 ASAP and not wait on the XMC-2 which at this point I don't think it will happen next year. Emotiva resources are right now focus on making XMC-1 owners happy and fixing all the bugs on the RMC-1 which after reading the owners thread looks like our bugs were nothing compare with what they are suffering right now. I was kinda ironic when I said the first batch would be plagued with 100s of bugs and the first owners would be beta testers, well after reading all the reports looks like I wasn't to off on my prediction.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7151 of 7489 Old 12-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Great info. Thanks guys. Will be ordering the XMC-1 ASAP.
post #7152 of 7489 Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 891
I'd buy one again and/or if I had your situational criteria. Some additional context: While I could implement two overhead speakers (or four if I really wanted shoehorn them in), my current theater setup could never use more.

Jeff
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #7153 of 7489 Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
@Retina For the use case you specify, after the headaches I had with the 4k board in a 2k chain, I wouldn't recommend a unit with the 4k board without some evidence that it's now solid for 2k use. I'd go with an unmolested original unit for a music box with a 2k TV.
post #7154 of 7489 Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosifee View Post
@Retina For the use case you specify, after the headaches I had with the 4k board in a 2k chain, I wouldn't recommend a unit with the 4k board without some evidence that it's now solid for 2k use. I'd go with an unmolested original unit for a music box with a 2k TV.
I have been running my XMC-1 with V3 board since June. In my system I have a LG 4K HDR monitor (only used when streaming music) and a Sony HW40ES 1080p projector. I haven't have a single glitch (video or audio) when watching movies on the Sony HW40ES. All my issues were related to 4K HDR sources/displays, never related with HD sources/displays. Yesterday upgraded my HW40ES projector with a Sony VW295ES 4K HDR projector and the XMC-1 with V5.4B2 is running without a single glitch.

post #7155 of 7489 Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, you have a 4k chain, and my warnings relate to a 2k chain.
I didn't have a 4K chain until yesterday. For 6 months I ran my XMC-1 with a Sony HW40ES 1080p projector, not 4K. Upgraded the projector to 4K yesterday.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

post #7156 of 7489 Old 12-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I have been running my XMC-1 with V3 board since June. In my system I have a LG 4K HDR monitor (only used when streaming music) and a Sony HW40ES 1080p projector. I haven't have a single glitch (video or audio) when watching movies on the Sony HW40ES. All my issues were related to 4K HDR sources/displays, never related with HD sources/displays. Yesterday upgraded my HW40ES projector with a Sony VW295ES 4K HDR projector and the XMC-1 with V5.4B2 is running without a single glitch.
That's fine, and I'm glad it's working for you. In my case, with a 1080 Samsung plasma display, the XMC-1 would need a rocker-switch restart to recover from trying to talk to an old Yamaha Blu-Ray player or a Mac Mini, but both of those connection scenarios are rock solid with the original board now installed.

So, while it's great that you never had issues with HD sources and displays, other people did, and those issues are well-documented on the Emotiva forum in threads where you and I both participated.
post #7157 of 7489 Old 12-03-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's fine, and I'm glad it's working for you. In my case, with a 1080 Samsung plasma display, the XMC-1 would need a rocker-switch restart to recover from trying to talk to an old Yamaha Blu-Ray player or a Mac Mini, but both of those connection scenarios are rock solid with the original board now installed.

So, while it's great that you never had issues with HD sources and displays, other people did, and those issues are well-documented on the Emotiva forum in threads where you and I both participated.
Have you tried V5.4B2 firmware? That firmware got rid of 99% of my issues.

post #7158 of 7489 Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM

No, the 4k board is out and it's not going back in until I need 4k functionality. I have nothing to gain by reinstalling it now.
post #7159 of 7489 Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I ordered the unit 3 days ago so it's a bit late for me. In any case it may not apply in my case that much.

I have an Oppo BDP-83 as the Blu ray source, a Roku Ultra for streaming off Netflix/Amazon. The TV is a Sony 65" A1E which is 4K. So it maybe that the issue will not be relevant for me.

Almost all of my video watching is now through Roku and I have not bought any Blu Ray discs in over a year.

Have a separate HT for large screen viewing (118" 2.35:1) which is now 9 yrs old and I only go down there for a different experience. Even though it is not super bright/contrasty, 4K or HD it still can't be beat for the 'immersive' experience that a huge screen and dark room can provide. May upgrade that sometime but for now it is up in the Den that I mostly watch movies and TV.

My current needs are mainly to do with music and audio. The HT is not ideal for it, you need to sit in a different kind of environment to appreciate good music. I am hoping that with this upgrade and my new KEF speakers the audio will be better.

OT for the thread, I've ordered a few DVD audio and SACD discs to try out with the XMC-1.My old Oppo (BDP-83) can output multichannel DSD over HDMI and the Emotiva can accept it. Don't know if this will work, but I want to give it a try, listening to multichannel high-res audio through this system.

Of course there are many who believe there is no such thing as High-res audio and good old Streaming (Spotify)and CD sources are as good as the human ear can discern. The one difference I guess is the multichannel coding with the High-res discs that CDs lack (or at least that is my understanding).

I'd like to see/hear for myself.
moosifee likes this.
post #7160 of 7489 Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Looking to getting one of these. Question I have is, Is it possible to reassign speaker channels? I have a 7.2 system, with front heights.

I need LCR, 2 surrounds, 2 front heights and 2 subs.

Is this possible?

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #7161 of 7489 Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Looking to getting one of these. Question I have is, Is it possible to reassign speaker channels? I have a 7.2 system, with front heights.

I need LCR, 2 surrounds, 2 front heights and 2 subs.

Is this possible?
That's not possible. The current XMC-1 speaker setup has support only for bed channels. With the upcoming Atmos upgrade, you should be able to do that, though.

post #7162 of 7489 Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
thanks for the quick reply

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #7163 of 7489 Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Hmm, emailed Emotiva looking for an update on the Atmos upgrade. For the last 2 years, they always tell me something about the end of the next quarter. Now they have no new updates and no estimated available date.

2 years... My new theater became functional nearly 6 months ago, and the last aesthetic details are nearly complete, but it is still running off a Marantz 7703. It's sad, my XMC-1 has spent more of it's live in a box than in a rack.

I have no room correction right now, with only some minor EQ'ing on the top end and a fair bit of tweaking on the 6 18" subs, and the room sounds utterly fantastic. I am looking forward to the upgrade to Dirac as any improvement at this time would be simply amazing. Maybe now that the RMC-1 is out and the HDMI upgrade board looks to be stable, they will put some effort toward fulfilling the promise of this upgrade.
post #7164 of 7489 Old 12-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I recall the main engineer for emotiva stating about a month ago that the atmos board was coming soon and they were just writing/testing code.

I hope that has not changed.

They are very busy sorting out the RMC and this may cause a delay for us XMC owners. Looking forward to the next 5.4 software update
post #7165 of 7489 Old 12-08-2018, 02:25 AM

The new “official” 5.4 firmware has been released for XMC-1 users who have the “V3” HDMI 2.0b video board. The release notes can be found within the thread.

You’ll find it here...

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...-firmware-2018
DonH50 likes this.
post #7166 of 7489 Old 12-08-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The new “official” 5.4 firmware has been released for XMC-1 users who have the “V3” HDMI 2.0b video board. The release notes can be found within the thread.

You’ll find it here...

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...-firmware-2018
Did you test it already? My XMC-1 with V5.4B2 is working so well that I'm kinda afraid to instal official V5.4 and break it.

post #7167 of 7489 Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
@enricoclaudio - don't install the new firmware - not necessary for you...
post #7168 of 7489 Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Did you test it already? My XMC-1 with V5.4B2 is working so well that I'm kinda afraid to instal official V5.4 and break it.
No... I didn’t. Keith’s notes says that if you’re already running 5.4b2, there’s no need to install the final version.

Since both of us are successfully running the beta, I think it’s a safe bet leaving well enough alone...
post #7169 of 7489 Old 12-08-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
@enricoclaudio - don't install the new firmware - not necessary for you...
Quote:
No... I didn’t. Keith’s notes says that if you’re already running 5.4b2, there’s no need to install the final version.

Since both of us are successfully running the beta, I think it’s a safe bet leaving well enough alone...
Thanks guys. Just read Keith's notes about those running V5.4B2. I'm leaving it as it's with V5.4B2. Watched last night Avengers Infinity War in 4K HDR UHD Disc with my new Sony 295ES + Panasonic 820 and the picture was breathtaking. Really loving my new setup

post #7170 of 7489 Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
I loaded 5.4 this afternoon. No problems, though almost yanked the USB stick out too soon when everything went off then back on after a few seconds' delay. Watched a 4K movie, no problems, but didn't do any serious testing.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page