Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2556Likes

post #7351 of 7489 Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone4k View Post
The fact is, that as we approach 30-20hz the standing waves become very long and are the most difficult to manage in terms of delay, phase cancellation, resonance and pressure build up etc, I guess you guys will never know as you probably don't own an active 35hz high pass filter but I can tell you, the day I got rid of <35hz in my theatre room everything just sounded way better. Did you know that a 30hz wave cycle can cancel a 50hz wave cycle in the same room?

You’re losing A LOT of good content going that route. If it is sounding much better, it may be due to what you’re talking about, but there are other ways to deal with the problem than eliminating the lowest frequencies (as mentioned above). Go to the subwoofer section of the forums and talk to some of the folks who’ve spent hundreds of hours on this, with objective tests showing flat frequency response down way below 35 (which would show no nulls or peaks). Run a sine wave at 25 on REW with and without the filter and you’ll get a decent idea what you’re missing. If you’re getting too much build up or if it is creating a null, it can be dealt with. I suspect the sound engineer you were talking with may have been talking about music mixes—not movie mixes with LFE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7489 Old 03-14-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked: 4378
Over my dead body I would give away the flat response down to 9Hz that I'm getting in my room. If you need to apply a 35Hz HPF to your subwoofers for your system to sound right, then something is not right in your room/system or your subwoofers are not capable of handle such response without distortion. I get less than 8% THD @ 10Hz when playing at reference levels. Regarding the sound engineers you were talking too, let me tell you that Sterling Sound in NY, which is the biggest mastering studio in the world, has been using Rythmik Audio subwoofers in their mastering rooms since 2008 just because our subwoofers can handle frequencies down to 10Hz. While in the majority of music there is no content below 30Hz, the reality is that with classical music recorded "Live", the room itself produce frequencies way below 20Hz that when recorded with room mics and put into the final mix, brings the concert room atmosphere to your home. Also, organ music goes down to 16Hz and without a subwoofer capable of reproducing those frequencies, you will be missing a lot. Same thing with electronic music. Not to mention that most movies these days have content down to 10Hz. To be honest, the first time I read the OP statement, I though it was a joke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LFE Enrico.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	2539028  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 03-14-2019 at 04:56 PM.
post #7353 of 7489 Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm surprised at the reaction. Are you telling me that you can replicate 25hz waves created by a pipe organ or orchestra playing in a 300ft room in a 15ft room? I didn't want to have fight just highlighting that this area is vastly more complicated than most people can get their head around and using fancy algorithms cant replicate a large room. Getting rid of those frequencies that are seldom used frees up the listening environment a lot. I get much better transitions now in subtle music and movie impact is still window shudderingly huge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7354 of 7489 Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
The fact is, that as we approach 30-20hz the standing waves become very long and are the most difficult to manage in terms of delay, phase cancellation, resonance and pressure build up etc, I guess you guys will never know as you probably don't own an active 35hz high pass filter but I can tell you, the day I got rid of <35hz in my theatre room everything just sounded way better. Did you know that a 30hz wave cycle can cancel a 50hz wave cycle in the same room?
I am finding it increasingly harder and harder to think that you are here with this as a service to your fellow AVS members. You are way off topic and your position on all of the points you have raised has been refuted .. I’d even call it debunked. After two years of no posts, what made you pick this subject and this completely unrelated thread to pop into?

And you continue to insult us with your “seldom used frequencies” and “get your head around” drivel.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; 03-14-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #7355 of 7489 Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I suspect that after using the filter, his setup is sounding significantly better to him than before. He talked to someone who said most don’t mix below 35hz (which we know isn’t completely accurate). Conclusion: use the filter and your setup will sound better as well.

But we know that just because his usage of the filter to neuter bass made his room sound better to him, it doesn’t follow that that was the best way to treat the problem(s), which his setup likely had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7356 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Quote:
I have been running subs with all sorts of speakers since about 1980 when I designed my own servo sub good to about 16 Hz. All sorts of music has very LF content; back then, the "killer bass" demo was the Mobile Fidelity Tchaikovsky 1812 recording (12" LP) with cannon content to 6 Hz (!) A lot of music has LF energy from things like drums, plucked strings, piano hammers, etc. etc. etc. IME that has not changed today; there is still plenty of LF content in music.

Many of us are well aware of the acoustics of small rooms including room modes and signal cancellation. The problems are typically at room modes and/or SBIR (speaker boundary interference response) points. These can be rectified by careful placement of speakers and subs and listening position. Gobs of info on the 'net and various books like the one from Floyd Toole as well as numerous threads here on AVS.

Chances are your system is not set up properly and that is why the sound is better without <35 Hz response. That may not be curable for you if you cannot properly adjust the alignment of your speakers as well as placement speakers, sub(s), and/or listening position. Most AVRs include room correction systems to handle the delay and phase but there are stand-alone units like miniDSP and the DSpeaker Anti-Mode units that will work.

And yes, I have variable crossovers and other filters, and have had for decades. And understand wave interference effects etc.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7357 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Odd, I decided to check the XMC-1 Owners thread to see if there was anything new on the Atmos upgrade and find two pages of talk on subwoofers and movie sound tracks, lol. Starting to look like the JVC threads here... When do we start talking about wine and cars?

And to throw in my 2 cents, I have 6 18" subs in 11 cu ft boxes tuned to 17hz with somewhere in the range of 10 kilowatts of RMS power (18kw rated) driving them all, and I can say definitively from experience that there IS movie content below 35 hz. And there is content below 20hz. And there is even content in the 10hz range. And trust me, you know when it hits...

AND, if you set up a room properly, you can keep your frequency response all the way down to 10hz to something relatively flat, and also keep your RT60 under control, allowing for even a small room to sound like a larger room. Add in some Dirac processing and it can make that even better. The idea that you have to have the same room as the original recording to accurately reproduce the sound is completely incorrect.

So now that that is settled, has anyone asked about the Atmos upgrade in the last few months? Frankly I am not sure I even want it after reading some of the issues with the RMC-1. It might be time to sell the XMC-1 and move on to other brands... The Marantz 7703 has been working nicely, but it would be great to get Dirac again.
HTNUT1975 likes this.
post #7358 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Odd, I decided to check the XMC-1 Owners thread to see if there was anything new on the Atmos upgrade and find two pages of talk on subwoofers and movie sound tracks, lol. Starting to look like the JVC threads here... When do we start talking about wine and cars?

And to throw in my 2 cents, I have 6 18" subs in 11 cu ft boxes tuned to 17hz with somewhere in the range of 10 kilowatts of RMS power (18kw rated) driving them all, and I can say definitively from experience that there IS movie content below 35 hz. And there is content below 20hz. And there is even content in the 10hz range. And trust me, you know when it hits...

AND, if you set up a room properly, you can keep your frequency response all the way down to 10hz to something relatively flat, and also keep your RT60 under control, allowing for even a small room to sound like a larger room. Add in some Dirac processing and it can make that even better. The idea that you have to have the same room as the original recording to accurately reproduce the sound is completely incorrect.

So now that that is settled, has anyone asked about the Atmos upgrade in the last few months? Frankly I am not sure I even want it after reading some of the issues with the RMC-1. It might be time to sell the XMC-1 and move on to other brands... The Marantz 7703 has been working nicely, but it would be great to get Dirac again.
I sent an email to Lonnie a few days ago and still waiting for his response regarding ETA for the ATMOS upgrade. At the Lounge, somebody said that Big Dan will be announcing the ATMOS upgrade at AXPONA. Let's be honest, even if Emotiva releases the ATMOS update, it's going to take at least 1 year (if not more) for it to be free of bugs. The XMC-1 ATMOS upgrade is based on the RMC-1 and we all know that the RMC-1 is having serious issues with ATMOS. Dirac is not even available for the RMC-1 yet and most likely it won't be for the XMC-1 for a a certain period of time after the ATMOS upgrade. So, because I want ATMOS, I'm getting a Denon X6500H as a temporary solution until the XMC-1 ATMOS upgrade is available and free of bugs. In fact, if the Denon X6500H prove to be good enough for movies, I would keep it for movies only and use the XMC-1 for music only without upgrading it to ATMOS as I love the Dolby PLIIx up mixer for music better than the new Dolby Surround, which would be gone for good after the ATMOS upgrade.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7359 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I agree with your comments on bass and on the Atmos upgrade. If the Marantz 8805 had Dirac I would sell my XMC-1 and pick up the Marantz. I love the way the XMC-1 sounds on music, but the 8805 is slick and one can always buy an outboard DAC. Heck I guess you could add outboard Dirac, but I am not sure how easy the outboard version of Dirac is to work with.
dkersten likes this.
post #7360 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
I'll drink to that.

I love my XMC-1 and have little to no interest in Atmos. But I bet this Lexus will have Dirac Unison before the XMC-1 has an Atmos board and a functioning Dirac Live for Atmos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lexus-custom-concept-wine-car-2-FT-BLOG1118.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	2539466  

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #7361 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I sent an email to Lonnie a few days ago and still waiting for his response regarding ETA for the ATMOS upgrade. At the Lounge, somebody said that Big Dan will be announcing the ATMOS upgrade at AXPONA. Let's be honest, even if Emotiva releases the ATMOS update, it's going to take at least 1 year (if not more) for it to be free of bugs. The XMC-1 ATMOS upgrade is based on the RMC-1 and we all know that the RMC-1 is having serious issues with ATMOS. Dirac is not even available for the RMC-1 yet and most likely it won't be for the XMC-1 for a a certain period of time after the ATMOS upgrade. So, because I want ATMOS, I'm getting a Denon X6500H as a temporary solution until the XMC-1 ATMOS upgrade is available and free of bugs. In fact, if the Denon X6500H prove to be good enough for movies, I would keep it for movies only and use the XMC-1 for music only without upgrading it to ATMOS as I love the Dolby PLIIx up mixer for music better than the new Dolby Surround, which would be gone for good after the ATMOS upgrade.
I was just reading your posts on the RMC-1 thread about an alternative while you wait.

If you are running all XLR to your amplifiers, I recommend finding a used Marantz 7703 or 7704 so you don't have to deal with the RCA to XLR conversion as you switch back and forth. The Marantz just works (as does the Denon), and the used value will not change significantly in the next year, so you aren't going to lose much (if any) when you get rid of it. And if you keep it for movies, you still have a great processor.

I don't think you gain anything other than more channel capability with the 6500. I don't recall if the Denon 6500 had any better D/A converters than the Marantz 7700 series, but even if it does, you won't hear the difference on movies IMHO.

I truly loved the sound of the XMC-1, but even on a 5.1 system it had flaws. I'm just not sure I want to wait another year or more to get Atmos in my XMC-1 and still have a unit that has flaws (muting with no signal and then not "waking" to small OSD sounds reliably, volume ticks, etc.) Sadly, I can imagine gaining Atmos only to lose even more reliability and have more small issues that will just serve to irritate me.

I am anxiously awaiting Monolith's entry into this market. But thankfully audio is not my focus lately, so I am patient. I already have a video upgrade in the works, plus enough other projects to keep me busy for the next 1-2 years, not to mention my theater isn't even 100% complete yet, so I probably won't have the bug to get my audio dialed in to perfection for at least a year, maybe 2. And when I do, I will start with acoustic treatments, which I left a lot of room to add behind panels. And to be quite honest, the Marantz sounds great. I don't even use Audyssey, I just tweaked the 10k+ range up a few db to compensate for the microperf screen and the cloth over the speakers and I'm happy with the sound. Even playing over 100db (with subs hitting over 120db) the sound is not harsh at all. It took a lot of treatment and the XMC-1 with Dirac to say that on my last theater, so while I have room for improvement, I am not in any immediate need.

Now I guess I am the one going off on a tangent. Bottom line, while I know the Marantz isn't the "end game" for me, I am quite happy with it. I am so disappointed in Emotiva lately that I may just go ahead and sell my XMC-1 and abandon the idea of sticking with Emo even in the next couple years. If the RMC-1 was living up to the hype from the last couple years of shows, I might be persuaded to spring for it, but the last thing I need is another disappointing piece of high dollar tech.
post #7362 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar1 View Post
Heck I guess you could add outboard Dirac, but I am not sure how easy the outboard version of Dirac is to work with.
I considered the minidsp options quite a bit back when buying the XMC-1, as well as when building my new theater. What turned me off is having to add so many processors, going digital to analog then back to digital, then back to analog, and possibly doing that even 3 times, and all the latency and noise that would add. Even with only 7.1.4 I would need at least two of their 8 channel processors, and even then I would be short on bass channels if I wanted to really manage my bass properly... And I prefer to stick to an XLR signal path, and that adds even more challenge with minidsp products.

I'm sure it could all work, but it just seems like too many hoops to jump through and too many challenges to deal with.
post #7363 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I considered the minidsp options quite a bit back when buying the XMC-1, as well as when building my new theater. What turned me off is having to add so many processors, going digital to analog then back to digital, then back to analog, and possibly doing that even 3 times, and all the latency and noise that would add. Even with only 7.1.4 I would need at least two of their 8 channel processors, and even then I would be short on bass channels if I wanted to really manage my bass properly... And I prefer to stick to an XLR signal path, and that adds even more challenge with minidsp products.

I'm sure it could all work, but it just seems like too many hoops to jump through and too many challenges to deal with.
The digital to analog conversions is a problem as is the downconversion Dirac performs on high resolution music files. At one point I expected DSD 64 & 128, Dirac that could handle 24/96 or 24/192 and Atmos. Not to mention the HDMI upgrade. The RMC-1's issues have convinced me the XMC-1 is better off without an upgrade. The XMC-1 with Dirac Full, in original condition, is still a great processor even with the downconversion Dirac does. There are ways to work around HDMI, but I would like Atmos or Auro 3D. Oh well....
post #7364 of 7489 Old 03-15-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, a couple of hours ago I got an email from Lonnie literally asking me to hold on my Denon purchase as per his own words "there will be an important announcement about this (ATMOS Upgrade for the XMC-1) at Axpona in a few weeks"
Modicen and Noman74656 like this.

post #7365 of 7489 Old 03-16-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Well, a couple of hours ago I got an email from Lonnie literally asking me to hold on my Denon purchase as per his own words "there will be an important announcement about this (ATMOS Upgrade for the XMC-1) at Axpona in a few weeks"
Translated, that means it is about a year away from being usable.

I like my XMC-1. I have the v3 HDMI board, but haven't installed it yet in fear of introducing problems from all I have read. I have the system working using HDMI workarounds with little issue(but it certainly isn't what it should be).

For me, it is a wait, watch, and see on Monolith's processor as I am in no hurry. Their subs and amps have been well received, but we all know that processors are a whole different ballgame.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Last edited by cschang; 03-16-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #7366 of 7489 Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
@cschang - install the board. It works fine for me, and has a high SAF compared to the old setup where I'd need to change the tv input AND the XMC-1 input.
post #7367 of 7489 Old 03-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
@cschang - install the board. It works fine for me, and has a high SAF compared to the old setup where I'd need to change the tv input AND the XMC-1 input.
I've got it all taken cared of with my Logitech/Harmony setup.

Input switching delays, among other things I read about, is what really holds me up. Once you put the new board in, it isn't easy backing out and going to the old board if you have problems. I don't need that headache.
tngiloy likes this.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7368 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Your loss...
cschang likes this.
post #7369 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
Translated, that means it is about a year away from being usable.

I like my XMC-1. I have the v3 HDMI board, but haven't installed it yet in fear of introducing problems from all I have read. I have the system working using HDMI workarounds with little issue(but it certainly isn't what it should be).

For me, it is a wait, watch, and see on Monolith's processor as I am in no hurry. Their subs and amps have been well received, but we all know that processors are a whole different ballgame.
Quote:
Quote:
Your loss...
I have no issues with the V3 HDMI Board either. However, wilbur and I are the exception, not the rule. Most XMC-1 owners are having some sort of bugs like no sound from center channel, no video at startup, PCM audio issues, etc. I think Curtis is doing the right thing not installing the V3 HDMI board and waiting until all bugs are sorted out, if ever. In my case, I want/need ATMOS so I'm getting a Denon X6500H to replace the XMC-1 until the ATMOS upgrade is available and free of bugs which in Emotiva time could take more than a year. I'm going to keep the XMC-1 for only music and the Denon for movies and will be switching between processors with a Radial SW8 Auto-Switcher.
cschang and smurraybhm like this.

post #7370 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, I'm running V5.4/2 Beta which hasn't been released to the public and switching between inputs is even worst now because they are applying dual HDMI handshake when switching inputs to refresh the misinformation on the OSD that was showing HDR instead of SDR when switching from ATV 4K HDR to any other SDR source.
cschang likes this.

post #7371 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 07:23 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
I've got it all taken cared of with my Logitech/Harmony setup.

Input switching delays, among other things I read about, is what really holds me up. Once you put the new board in, it isn't easy backing out and going to the old board if you have problems. I don't need that headache.
I’m in complete agreement. Send it to me and I will dispose of it properly!

Jeff
drh3b likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #7372 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
...I'm going to keep the XMC-1 for only music and the Denon for movies and will be switching between processors with a Radial SW8 Auto-Switcher.
Wow...that ain’t cheap!

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7373 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Your loss...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Jeff
Thanks for your support.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7374 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow...that ain’t cheap!
Yes, the Radial SW-8 isn’t cheap but I own one already that has been in storage for 4 years already. I also have DB25 audio cables. Only need to purchase the unbalanced DB25 cable and that’s all.
cschang likes this.

post #7375 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Jeff
You know, maybe that’s a good idea.

I don’t see myself moving forward with upgrades to the XMC, so maybe I should sell the HDMI board.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7376 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I dont have issues with my XMC-1 either. Also as mentioned on the emotiva boards the warrenties of the first boards sent out may be expiring soon so that is a thing. Im not sure of the warrenty length but i would want to give the board a run through to make sure it was sound hardware wise myself.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7377 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
I dont have issues with my XMC-1 either. Also as mentioned on the emotiva boards the warrenties of the first boards sent out may be expiring soon so that is a thing. Im not sure of the warrenty length but i would want to give the board a run through to make sure it was sound hardware wise myself.
and what if you have problems and want to go back to the older board?

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7378 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
I'm not sure how to react. I would think Enrico is someone who can be trusted not to leak something prior to Axpona. My skeptical side tells me that they have planned an announcement but haven't decided what it's going to be yet. Dan and Lonnie fly by the seat of their pants and often without engineering's blessings.

Last year at Axpona Lonnie went into detail on the plans for the RMC-1, XMR-1, and XMC-1v3. A month or two later it had all changed (they discussed on a podcast). It has changed and changed and changed ad nauseum. Dan Laufman even stated that they would not release RMC-1 incomplete, specifically without Dirac. Look where we are now.

I would say that @deewan is the resident expert on all things Emotiva. @deewan do you have an idea what the announcement will he?
post #7379 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I'm not sure how to react. I would think Enrico is someone who can be trusted not to leak something prior to Axpona. My skeptical side tells me that they have planned an announcement but haven't decided what it's going to be yet. Dan and Lonnie fly by the seat of their pants and often without engineering's blessings.

Last year at Axpona Lonnie went into detail on the plans for the RMC-1, XMR-1, and XMC-1v3. A month or two later it had all changed (they discussed on a podcast). It has changed and changed and changed ad nauseum. Dan Laufman even stated that they would not release RMC-1 incomplete, specifically without Dirac. Look where we are now.

I would say that @deewan is the resident expert on all things Emotiva. @deewan do you have an idea what the announcement will he?
Nothing new on my post. A few other people who had spoke over the phone with Big Dan posted last week at The Lounge that Big Dan will be announcing the ATMOS upgrade for the XMC-1 at AXPONA. If you know me, you would know that I'm holding ZERO hopes on that announcement because one thing is the announcement and other is the reality, which in Emotiva case differs one from the other by a thousand miles. I already posted that if they announce the ATMOS upgrade at AXPONA, IMHO it would take no less than a year to be available and free of bugs. My XMC-1 became fully operative again after the V3 HDMI upgrade almost 8 months later after I put in the new HDMI board. I'm 99% sure if I do the ATMOS upgrade, my XMC-1 is going to brake and this time maybe for a big longer period of time, so no thank you... Like Curtis mentioned, I'm planning on not doing the ATMOS upgrade to my XMC-1 and use it only for 7.1 music and a Denon X6500 for ATMOS movies.

post #7380 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

I'm sorry I do not know what they might be announcing with the XMC. When we sold our previous home two years ago I sold the XMC and have not been keeping up with the XMC status/updates/upgrades. When it comes to Emotiva, they could do anything. They may announce something that is years away from release, or they may provide an easy and discounted upgrade path for those with a XMC to exchange for something like the XMC-2 (or whatever name they ended up using) so they get the Atmos channels. Only time will tell.

My personal opinion that I think it is not fair to anyone to compare the RMC issues with what is happening with the XMC. Yes Emotiva seems to have issues with releasing half baked products, but the problems with the RMC do not translate to the XMC in any way based on their design and parts. The XMC, prior to hdmi card updates, was very solid for almost all users. The XMC uses well known and established DSP chips for audio and video. When channel counts began to increase all manufactures were forced to make changes. With the RMC with more channels came new chips with an unknown design and no established development/code. So to say the RMC is a completely brand new design is an understatement. The hdmi board is the only thing I believe the RMC and XMC have somewhat in common. For that reason I believe if an ATMOS upgrade is released, it will likely have far fewer issues than the RMC (as an overall product) and the XMC hmdi board.

Long rant, but what I'm trying to say is nobody should be that scared by the RMC issues. What I would personally do if I had a XMC and wanted Atmos is decide what is my desired completion date. If it's within a couple weeks, go in another direction now. If I have some time to wait and see what Emotiva announces, then hear them out at Axpona. If they announce an upgrade will be released soon and the date is within your window, give them until the release date or a week more. If they miss that date, go in another direction. If Emotiva hit their release date, let a few other XMC owners test in the wild for a week and see what they say. If other users have problems with the upgrade, go in another direction. If Emo hits their date and no major issues are reported, then upgrade. It may not be the quickest way to your solution, but it's the most stress free and gives you several chances to change your path. Just my two cents.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page