Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2556Likes

post #7381 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5273 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

My personal opinion that I think it is not fair to anyone to compare the RMC issues with what is happening with the XMC. Yes Emotiva seems to have issues with releasing half baked products, but the problems with the RMC do not translate to the XMC in any way based on their design and parts. The XMC, prior to hdmi card updates, was very solid for almost all users. The XMC uses well known and established DSP chips for audio and video. When channel counts began to increase all manufactures were forced to make changes. With the RMC with more channels came new chips with an unknown design and no established development/code. So to say the RMC is a completely brand new design is an understatement. The hdmi board is the only thing I believe the RMC and XMC have somewhat in common. For that reason I believe if an ATMOS upgrade is released, it will likely have far fewer issues than the RMC (as an overall product) and the XMC hmdi board.
That is a interesting perspective. But wouldn't bringing Atmos to the XMC-1 involve bringing the newer DSPs/SHARCs? Maybe just one of the SHARCs from the RMC-1 and dedicate the existing XMC-1 SHARC to Dirac? Based on my conversations with Lonnie, the RMC-1 implementation is their Atmos reference design. So all other Atmos processors are dependent on the RMC-1.
@deewan has there been any rumblings of Auro3D for the RMC-1? How far away is Dirac Live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 04:51 PM

XMC-1 owners, did the XMC-1 receive Dirac Live 2.0? I did not see Emotiva on the list when I upgraded my NAD.
post #7383 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
That is a interesting perspective. But wouldn't bringing Atmos to the XMC-1 involve bringing the newer DSPs/SHARCs? Maybe just one of the SHARCs from the RMC-1 and dedicate the existing XMC-1 SHARC to Dirac? Based on my conversations with Lonnie, the RMC-1 implementation is their Atmos reference design. So all other Atmos processors are dependent on the RMC-1.
@deewan has there been any rumblings of Auro3D for the RMC-1? How far away is Dirac Live?
While I think the Auro3D upmixer is the best upmixer for 2-channel audio, in the states I think Auro3D is dead for a movie surround format. I don't see a large need by RMC owners for Emotiva to support Auro3D at this time. Any sort of licensing fee Emotiva would have to pay or code rework to support the format would raise the price of the RMC. I just don't see a need for Auro3D support in the US at this time.

I would make a sizable bet Dirac for the RMC is delayed however long it takes for the RMC to become stable on the audio side. In other words, if Emotiva says Dirac will be released this summer, it could be released this summer IF all the audio dropout issues are fixed before summer. IF the audio issues aren't resolved until this fall, I would not expect to see Dirac until fall or winter of 2019. I don't see Emotiva releasing Dirac before the audio issues are resolved.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7384 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
No. And AFAIK no real discussion of it. A DL spokesperson said a while back that Emotiva was not in the initial manufacturer's group but I've heard nothing since.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 04-15-2019 at 06:52 AM.
post #7385 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
and what if you have problems and want to go back to the older board?
I not suggesting that you install or not. Im just putting that thought out there for you and others for you to think about that part of the equation. I do know that you can go back to the origal board but you would have to research that on emotiva's site or possibly the info is here on avs. Also the release of the atmos upgrade is looming and maybe that fact that you have to send in your unit to have it installed would be a good opportunity to get it all done. Not sure why someone would spend money on the board only to leave it in the package and i am glad that i did the upgrade.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7386 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
I not suggesting that you install or not. Im just putting that thought out there for you and others for you to think about that part of the equation. I do know that you can go back to the origal board but you would have to research that on emotiva's site or possibly the info is here on avs. Also the release of the atmos upgrade is looming and maybe that fact that you have to send in your unit to have it installed would be a good opportunity to get it all done. Not sure why someone would spend money on the board only to leave it in the package and i am glad that i did the upgrade.
Uh...because there are problems with it. Why would you install something when there is a good chance you will have problems with it? I spent the money when I bought my XMC-1, and it was supposed to be ready in a "couple months". It wasn't available almost a 1 1/2 years after the purchase.

That's another thing, who judges if it is working properly or not when it is buggy?

Yes, you can go back to the original board, but it ain't easy.

I am happy the upgrade works for you, but what do you say to people that it didn't work for?

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7387 of 7489 Old 03-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
Uh...because there are problems with it. Why would you install something when there is a good chance you will have problems with it? I spent the money when I bought my XMC-1, and it was supposed to be ready in a "couple months". It wasn't available almost a 1 1/2 years after the purchase.

That's another thing, who judges if it is working properly or not when it is buggy?

Yes, you can go back to the original board, but it ain't easy.

I am happy the upgrade works for you, but what do you say to people that it didn't work for?
i dont say anything, like i said im not talking you into anything. i dont work for emotiva or speak for them. my system is working as it should and i hope yours is where you want it also. in fact im reading the psa subs and speakers forums on avs trying to figure out how to squeeze out the cash for some new towers.

its all good man.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7388 of 7489 Old 03-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
XMC-1 owners, did the XMC-1 receive Dirac Live 2.0? I did not see Emotiva on the list when I upgraded my NAD.

No, not likely.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57320274
post #7389 of 7489 Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 116
My XMC-1 center channel stopped working. It happened a few times before. But turning the system off and on used to fix the issue. But rebooting does not work any more.

Does anybody here has or had this issue?

Is there a way to fix it?

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zidoo X9S (Media Player), Darbee, (Video Processor)
post #7390 of 7489 Old 04-04-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
My XMC-1 center channel stopped working. It happened a few times before. But turning the system off and on used to fix the issue. But rebooting does not work any more.

Does anybody here has or had this issue?

Is there a way to fix it?
I have not had your particular problem, but have had occasional weird problems. Usually they are fixed with a power cycle - turning off and back on with the main power switch on the rear panel or unplugging the power cord.
On the rare occasions when that didn't work I would backup my settings to a thumbdrive, reset to factory defaults, then reload my settings.

I assume you have checked to make sure the center channel connections from the XMC-1 to your amp are OK. It's possible that the problem lies outside of the XMC-1 --amp, center speaker or any of the connections/cables between the XMC-1 and the speaker. Check your cable connections to make sure they are fully inserted. Some fairly simple troubleshooting (switching cables between XMC-1 and amp) should let you know if the problem is in the XMC-1 or elsewhere in the chain.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #7391 of 7489 Old 04-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I have not had your particular problem, but have had occasional weird problems. Usually they are fixed with a power cycle - turning off and back on with the main power switch on the rear panel or unplugging the power cord.
On the rare occasions when that didn't work I would backup my settings to a thumbdrive, reset to factory defaults, then reload my settings.

I assume you have checked to make sure the center channel connections from the XMC-1 to your amp are OK. It's possible that the problem lies outside of the XMC-1 --amp, center speaker or any of the connections/cables between the XMC-1 and the speaker. Check your cable connections to make sure they are fully inserted. Some fairly simple troubleshooting (switching cables between XMC-1 and amp) should let you know if the problem is in the XMC-1 or elsewhere in the chain.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Yes, I checked everything. It is not cable, speaker or amp problem.

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zidoo X9S (Media Player), Darbee, (Video Processor)
post #7392 of 7489 Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Yes, I checked everything. It is not cable, speaker or amp problem.
Try resetting to factory defaults and then reloading your settings and see if it fixes your problem. It doesn't take much time.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #7393 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Hair Nick said:
XMC-2 announcement:

The existing upgrade Atmos board to the XMC-1 that was previously announced isn't happening. Having two separate OS paths with the different chips were going to be far too expensive and time consuming for the engineering team. Instead, we will offer an upgrade path to a brand new XMC-2 unit with a trade in program.

For any person who owns an XMC-1 with the V3 board, you can upgrade to a brand new XMC-2 for $650. If you have an XMC-1 without the V3 board, it will be $1,050 to upgrade.

Basically getting a brand new unit for the price of what the Atmos board upgrade was going to be.

We will have an official announcement hitting the site soon but wanted to give you the heads up first.
Upgrade news
post #7394 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Interesting, wonder if the XMC-2 is the same as the XMC-1 in every other way...
post #7395 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 891
I’m didn’t want to have speakers above me anyway. Probably would have banged my head and got a concussion. No concussion! No concussion!

Still, now I am officially in the category of p1ssed off at their over-promising.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #7396 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I’m didn’t want to have speakers above me anyway. Probably would have banged my head and got a concussion. No concussion! No concussion!

Still, now I am officially in the category of p1ssed off at their over-promising.

Seems like they’re going beyond their promise with something even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thrillcat likes this.
post #7397 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post

A bigger/better promise? When does it end? It's like being caught in a SSP ponzi scheme.
post #7398 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Do you think, perhaps, XMC-1 owners who bought with the Atmos upgrade in mind might see it a different way? Spending hundreds more for a trade in of a perfectly working, never flogged XMC-1, is NOT THE SAME!

I have defended them against the slings and arrows of previously let down owners, but I have switched sides with this development.

Jeff

post #7399 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
A bigger/better promise? When does it end? It's like being caught in a SSP ponzi scheme.
They should keep their traps shut until they have done their due diligence. Instead they make promises and then, to keep themselves free of some extra workload, they burn some of the faithful.

Jeff
tngiloy likes this.

post #7400 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Do you think, perhaps, XMC-1 owners who bought with the Atmos upgrade in mind might see it a different way? Spending hundreds more for a trade in of a perfectly working, never flogged XMC-1, is NOT THE SAME!

I have defended them against the slings and arrows of previously let down owners, but I have switched sides with this development.

Jeff

650 is around the same price for the Atmos upgrade with the NAD units, but that only gets you a circuit board. This gets you an entirely new unit with upgraded chipset across the board. I’m not understanding your point (and I may he missing a point here, so bear with me).

thrillcat likes this.
post #7401 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Wireless member

I don’t have the v3 board because I don’t use, nor plan to use, HDR or 4K. So now my trade in cost is $1050. I apologize if I am mistaken, but I thought the v3 and Atmos boards were individual options with neither depending on the presence of the other.

Jeff
HTNUT1975 likes this.

post #7402 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I don’t have the v3 board because I don’t use, nor plan to use, HDR or 4K. So now my trade in cost is $1050. I apologize if I am mistaken, but I thought the v3 and Atmos boards were individual options with neither depending on the presence of the other.

Jeff

I know with the NAD upgrade to v3, you’re looking at the same price if you want Dirac (ie, it requires video and audio upgrade for whatever reason—I assume it is hardware related). I’m unaware of any Dirac processor that is even in the same stratosphere of value that comes with this upgrade. This is a steal and beyond what was originally promised.

post #7403 of 7489 Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
This is a steal and beyond what was originally promised.
A “steal” is something you were going to buy and *then” found it at a far better price. That’s not the case with this for me.

I love my XMC-1. It brought a level of clarity, detail and transparency to my theater that I never had before. However, it’s just not going to be the unit that I was lead to believe it would be.

I think we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Jeff

edit: if the XMC-2 receives the latest Dirac, then I could be moved into your camp!
krholmberg and HTNUT1975 like this.

post #7404 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Jeff
The V3 HDMI 2.0b/2.2 board was a single upgrade option and did not require the Atmos upgrade. However, the Atmos upgrade did require the V3 HDMI upgrade.

The cost of the audio board upgrade was never officially finalized, but adding Atmos capability would have cost around the same as the current upgrade offer whether you need the video capabilities or not.

What hasn’t been mentioned here is the fact that the XMC-2 will share the same AD Griffin Lite DSPs and AKM DACs as its RMC siblings, has been updated to support 16 channels of processing, has full differential balanced L/C/R channels (the XMC-1 was L/R only) and will be receiving Dirac 2.0 once Dirac has finished writing the code for the Griffin Lite DSPs. Your “upgrade” will also come with a brand new 5 year warranty.

All of this has been confirmed by Emotiva at AXPONA and will be posted on their website later this week or next.

IMO, this is a very “stand up” offer. Since I already have the V3 HDMI upgrade, all I need to know is where to send my $650 and my current XMC-1...
thrillcat likes this.

Last edited by DOC1963; 04-15-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #7405 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 06:01 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post

The V3 HDMI 2.0b/2.2 board was a single upgrade option and did not require the Atmos upgrade. However, the Atmos upgrade did require the V3 HDMI upgrade.
Ok then, I was either misinformed or uninformed and misassumed. Probably the latter!

Jeff

post #7406 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Note the XMC-2 drops analog 7.1 inputs for those who might care...

Given it's a year later and my v3 board still has several issues, and the RMC-1 problems, I am not anxious to jump on the XMC-2 bandwagon. I was looking at NAD but they are having problems as well. For now I can live with the XMC-1 but really wish they would release a final FW fix resolving the last few issues. The mods on the EMo Forum have basically said to quit complaining and they'll release an update... someday. Seems less and less likely as time goes by. I'll probably just get a Marantz and abandon DL, get a miniDSP with some other AVR, or pay the price for something higher-end with hopefully fewer hassles.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7407 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Call me stupid if you must .... but .... I was an original owner of the UMC-1, and I upgraded to the XMC-1, and I am looking forward to upgrading to the XMC-2. I have no regrets. The rewards were worth the punishment ..... in my opinion.
thrillcat likes this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #7408 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3651 Post(s)
Liked: 4380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Given it's a year later and my v3 board still has several issues, and the RMC-1 problems, I am not anxious to jump on the XMC-2 bandwagon. I was looking at NAD but they are having problems as well. For now I can live with the XMC-1 but really wish they would release a final FW fix resolving the last few issues. The mods on the EMo Forum have basically said to quit complaining and they'll release an update... someday. Seems less and less likely as time goes by. I'll probably just get a Marantz and abandon DL, get a miniDSP with some other AVR, or pay the price for something higher-end with hopefully fewer hassles.
Yes, 7.1 Analog inputs is a must have for me now that I'm running dual processors. My XMC-1 is running very well without any issues so far after the last firmware (V5.4/2). Also, using it only for music makes things less complicated. The Denon X6500H works really well with ATMOS movies as I can live with Audyssey for movies, not for music. At this point, I think I'm going to pass on the upgrade offer and keep running dual processors until a free of bugs Dirac Live processor is available from Emotiva.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7409 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM

So when is the fully functional XMC-2 due? When I say “fully functional”, I mean the full advertised feature set. 😏

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #7410 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I’m looking at the Monoprice pre/pro due out this summer.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Help beat breast cancer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page