Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2556Likes

post #7411 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Call me stupid if you must .... but .... I was an original owner of the UMC-1, and I upgraded to the XMC-1, and I am looking forward to upgrading to the XMC-2. I have no regrets. The rewards were worth the punishment ..... in my opinion.
Hardly stupid. Lucky, maybe. Patient, certainly. Certainly plenty of people do not have problems with their XMC-1's, and it may be the XMC-2 has a much smoother roll-out. If it borrows heavily from the RMC-1, and they finally get that thang working, then the XMC-2 may be an easy choice for me since I do not need 7.1 analog inputs (I do need at least a few analog stereo inputs, however). But taking a year-plus to get a fully-functional unit is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I did have one big issue with the XMC-1 when I first got it, which was after the first round or three of bug fixes, and that was fixed quickly. I had hoped for the same with the v3 board but alas...

In the meantime my XMC-1 works most of the time, and I have little time to watch/listen, so I'll stand pat for now and hope they release another FW update.

Was a frustrating weekend; my Oppo BDP-203 also refused to play sound from the new Aquaman movie despite all my attempts. I found the only way was to start it, eject it, then resume and all of a sudden sound snapped back on. Need to ping them; it says it has the latest FW but I suspect a newer version is out there if not released yet.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 04-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7489 Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
@DonH50 - I'm with you. My XMC-1 (with the 4k board) works 99% of the time, and when it doesn't, it's almost always solved by turning off my TV and turning it back on (redo a handshake).
post #7413 of 7489 Old 04-16-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Seems like a good deal to me, especially if it includes Dirac 2.0.

Understanding that RMC may have early issues and XMC-2 may also be unstable initially (as Emotiva products are wont to be) ... XMC-1 is clearly a dead-end, and I would not wait under water for any significant firmware fixes.

I'll be patient and do the upgrade when the XMC-2 is stable and Dirac 2.0 is available.

Glad I saved the box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7414 of 7489 Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 AM

Good idea.

There was a post on the Emotiva Forums stating Dirac Live was delayed due to problems on their (Dirac Live's) end. No dates given. While I could live without room correction, my current room really benefits from it, so I am not really interested in switching until Dirac Live is running. Getting lazy in my old age, or just tired of constantly tweaking, so don't really want to spend a weekend or two trying to dial it in manually (plus my workweeks are crazy the past few years so free time is limited).
Djoel and wilbur_the_goose like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7415 of 7489 Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lip sync delay stuck at >= 53 msec - it won’t go any lower than 53? And as a result the audio is behind the video. Video and audio goe straight to lg tv from direct tv via hdmi and the optical out from LG tv to XMC-1. The tv lipsynck doesn’t seem to affect the optical output . Any ideas why my XMC won’t go below 53 milliseconds on the lip sync delay?
post #7416 of 7489 Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticmoods View Post
Lip sync delay stuck at >= 53 msec - it won’t go any lower than 53? And as a result the audio is behind the video. Video and audio goe straight to lg tv from direct tv via hdmi and the optical out from LG tv to XMC-1. The tv lipsynck doesn’t seem to affect the optical output . Any ideas why my XMC won’t go below 53 milliseconds on the lip sync delay?
On your XMC-1, go to Menu > Settings > Input > Optical 1 (or whatever optical input you're using) and uncheck "Lip Sync Auto" if it is present (and checked). Then, manually enter 0ms in the Lip Sync Delay setting. Exit out of the menus and check the results.

Do not use the Lip Sync settings found under "Main Zone > Trims" as those are one-time (single use) temporary trims and are "in addition to" what is already assigned in the input setup menu. This trim setting cannot be adjusted lower than what is detected by "Auto" or what is entered manually. This might explain why you cannot set it below 53ms.

If zeroing out the Lip Sync delay settings in the XMC-1 does nothing to help and the AV Sync control of your LG TV has no effect upon its own optical output, then I'm at a loss.

Having video ahead of audio is a rare occurrence and is indicative of too much audio delay being present somewhere in the chain. My last guess would be to check your DirecTV box for the presence of a lip sync delay setting and, if present, defeat that as well.
post #7417 of 7489 Old 04-22-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5279 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticmoods View Post
Perhaps HDMI Auto Lip-synching is occurring between the STB and TV (TV audio). You should try and disabled this.

Is there a reason you cannot pass the HDMI through the Emotiva? Doing so should make it easier to sync. Auto Lip-synching may even work in that scenario. (HDMI 1.3 feature)
post #7418 of 7489 Old 04-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good ideas all thankyou. I don’t want the hdmi video to go through the receiver because it doesn’t support the hdr 4K - I will experiment with the suggestions thanks again
post #7419 of 7489 Old 04-22-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
for those interested the latest firmware is up at emotiva
wilbur_the_goose and DonH50 like this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7420 of 7489 Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
for those interested the latest firmware is up at emotiva
Are you posting about 4.1? Is this a new update?

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #7421 of 7489 Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM

v5.6 -- http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...ase-hdmi-board
MRinDenver likes this.

post #7422 of 7489 Old 04-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Any idea what this is designed to fix? My only problem remains the switching glitches between certain HDMI component connections, all of which began with the 2.0 board.

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #7423 of 7489 Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post
Any idea what this is designed to fix? My only problem remains the switching glitches between certain HDMI component connections, all of which began with the 2.0 board.
I do not know and the post in the Emo Lounge does not really say either. I have not had time to read much over there nor install it myself -- hopefully this weekend. I did download it but it was just the data file, no "readme" with a list of fixes. I think one poster said the "no sound at start-up problem" was fixed and that is my main problem right now. I suggest checking out the XMC-1 thread in the Emotiva Lounge as most of the action seems to be over there (mainly in hopes somebody at Emotiva is reading).

post #7424 of 7489 Old 04-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do not know and the post in the Emo Lounge does not really say either. I have not had time to read much over there nor install it myself -- hopefully this weekend. I did download it but it was just the data file, no "readme" with a list of fixes. I think one poster said the "no sound at start-up problem" was fixed and that is my main problem right now. I suggest checking out the XMC-1 thread in the Emotiva Lounge as most of the action seems to be over there (mainly in hopes somebody at Emotiva is reading).
Thanks. I will check to see if there is any information.

Mike Rife

post #7425 of 7489 Old 04-26-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
According to the Emo forum, this firmware is the end-all-be-all for the handshake/no audio/no center channel/etc problem many of us currently experience.

Unfortunately I have a full house this weekend so I am unable to attempt the install until next week. So I will wait.

Anyone here with success or failure of v5.6? I would appreciate input before I jump in.

Thanks.

Mike Rife

post #7426 of 7489 Old 04-26-2019, 09:13 AM

I installed it a couple days ago. I don't think it broke anything, so that's good news. My issues have always been intermittent like getting no sound after switching inputs, not getting video when I switch to the input with AppleTV, PC screens flashing on video input change. All of these still happen occasionally and are fixed by either switching inputs again, or on/off cycle, or hard reboot.

I read about the center channel problem. I only had that once. What I do occasionally have is no output or intermittent popping (no sound) on my right subwoofer output. Left sub works fine. I'm using the balanced out for right and unbalanced for left.
MRinDenver likes this.
post #7427 of 7489 Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombarmj View Post
I installed it a couple days ago. I don't think it broke anything, so that's good news. My issues have always been intermittent like getting no sound after switching inputs, not getting video when I switch to the input with AppleTV, PC screens flashing on video input change. All of these still happen occasionally and are fixed by either switching inputs again, or on/off cycle, or hard reboot.

I read about the center channel problem. I only had that once. What I do occasionally have is no output or intermittent popping (no sound) on my right subwoofer output. Left sub works fine. I'm using the balanced out for right and unbalanced for left.
So........ did it fix anything then? Sounds like you still have the same issues or did I read it wrong?
post #7428 of 7489 Old 04-26-2019, 03:18 PM

It may have fixed some 4k or HDR or specific TV issues. But I don't have any of that. My annoying audio (mostly) intermittent issues still seem to be happening. But it's just been a couple days so I'll give it time and see if it seems more stable.

That said ... banking on this rumored XMC-2 tradein that was supposed to be announced at AXPONA and seems not to have been.
post #7429 of 7489 Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 PM

I loaded it today. Took over two hours! Not sure what happened, but at the end it shows FW v5.6 and everything seems to be working. The biggest issue I had remaining was lack of sound but it seems to work OK for a while after a power cycle then get progressively worse (time dependent SW, gotta' love it). Fingers crossed...

post #7430 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I loaded it today. Took over two hours! Not sure what happened, but at the end it shows FW v5.6 and everything seems to be working. The biggest issue I had remaining was lack of sound but it seems to work OK for a while after a power cycle then get progressively worse (time dependent SW, gotta' love it). Fingers crossed...
DonH50 have you noticed anything like overall volume being higher or lower after a power cycle or after some period of time since the last power cycle? I can't nail it down, but I think I'm hearing some music sounding pretty loud at -20 and then sometime later turning it up to -12. And HBO on AppleTV .... sometimes -8 sounds fine and then sometimes -2 doesn't sound much louder.
post #7431 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
And HBO on AppleTV .... sometimes -8 sounds fine and then sometimes -2 doesn't sound much louder.
Last night's Game of Thrones was broadcast with a very low audio level. I checked my DVR and HBO GO on Apple TV4. Both were low and I had to raise the volume to a range that I have never, ever needed. There are other instances where I noticed variable audio levels from HBO, blame them and not your system ..... at least with regards to HBO.
bozobuttz likes this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #7432 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Last night's Game of Thrones was broadcast with a very low audio level. I checked my DVR and HBO GO on Apple TV4. Both were low and I had to raise the volume to a range that I have never, ever needed. There are other instances where I noticed variable audio levels from HBO, blame them and not your system ..... at least with regards to HBO.
Yes exactly! And I've seen it earlier in this season. So I went back to my benchmark sub test (the wildfire exploding at Battle of Blackwater season 2 episode 9) and found it was normal volume. I couldn't tell if it was HBO or the system. We've been watching random GoT episodes the past week and I have not seen the volume issue. So I wonder .... can it actually save them bandwidth to compress the audio for a broadcast where they know a gazillion people will be streaming? Will the volume be "normal" if I watch again another time? I'll try and see. Also, is it volume as well as dynamic range compression?

Of course this is different from my music volume question.
post #7433 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
DonH50 have you noticed anything like overall volume being higher or lower after a power cycle or after some period of time since the last power cycle? I can't nail it down, but I think I'm hearing some music sounding pretty loud at -20 and then sometime later turning it up to -12. And HBO on AppleTV .... sometimes -8 sounds fine and then sometimes -2 doesn't sound much louder.
No, but I reran Dirac Live due to some other changes and of course it was power-cycled at the end of the FW update. I have seen pretty wild variations chanel-to-channel and show-to-show on my Comcast box. And certainly some movies are mixed a lot higher than others, but I did not notice a drastic change in volume after the update. In general there have been one or two times in the past few months when I thought the system was markedly louder but not lately. OTOH I have had so little time with it lately that I might miss it unless it was a big change. I am giving it a couple of weeks to see if it is stable.

Emotiva sent an email basically saying they will get back to me on the lengthy time for the FW update this time around. At this point it's installed, AFAIK, but I am curious as to why that happened. Especially since a few others have seen the same behavior.

post #7434 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Yes exactly! And I've seen it earlier in this season. So I went back to my benchmark sub test (the wildfire exploding at Battle of Blackwater season 2 episode 9) and found it was normal volume. I couldn't tell if it was HBO or the system. We've been watching random GoT episodes the past week and I have not seen the volume issue. So I wonder .... can it actually save them bandwidth to compress the audio for a broadcast where they know a gazillion people will be streaming? Will the volume be "normal" if I watch again another time? I'll try and see. Also, is it volume as well as dynamic range compression?

Of course this is different from my music volume question.
You might be right, last nights episode was almost unwatchable visually due to macroblocking, excess grain, dark with unsaturated color. I do not know where the blame lies. I was so upset with the sound and the visual that when the episode ended I played Netflix 4K, and Amazon Prime 4K (HDR and Dolby Vision), and a 4K Dolby Vision Disk ...... just to make sure something wasn't broken with my audio system and my LG OLED. Everything looked and sounded perfect. I went back to HBO and it was a dark, murky. macro blocked mess that had a low level audio signal that sounded a bit compressed. Poor HBO and their subscribers ..... us included!!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #7435 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You might be right, last nights episode was almost unwatchable visually due to macroblocking, excess grain, dark with unsaturated color. I do not know where the blame lies. I was so upset with the sound and the visual that when the episode ended I played Netflix 4K, and Amazon Prime 4K (HDR and Dolby Vision), and a 4K Dolby Vision Disk ...... just to make sure something wasn't broken with my audio system and my LG OLED. Everything looked and sounded perfect. I went back to HBO and it was a dark, murky. macro blocked mess that had a low level audio signal that sounded a bit compressed. Poor HBO and their subscribers ..... us included!!
Video for the masses and audio for the masses .... they will eat all the compressed, artifact-laden crap they are fed!
post #7436 of 7489 Old 04-29-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Video for the masses and audio for the masses .... they will eat all the compressed, artifact-laden crap they are fed!
I think it's more that the season is truly being produced for the 4K UHD disc release, which will easily be able to handle what they're doing. It's the distribution that's causing the problems. Wait for the #endgame .

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7437 of 7489 Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I don't watch GOT, but the PQ was so bad that they discussed it on CBS This Morning today. And it was a joke on Jimmy Kimmel last night.
bozobuttz likes this.
post #7438 of 7489 Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I don't watch GOT, but the PQ was so bad that they discussed it on CBS This Morning today. And it was a joke on Jimmy Kimmel last night.
It's one thing - and a usually ignored thing - when videophiles kvetch about something like this, but when it "rises" to the level where the general audience squawks about it, well that *should* get someone's attention! (fingers crossed)

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #7439 of 7489 Old 04-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
For those interested....

https://emotiva.com/blogs/info-hub-1...source=VigLink

cat on lap typing sorry
RichB and tngiloy like this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7440 of 7489 Old 04-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
thanks, i will probably take them up on that offer.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page