Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2556Likes

post #7471 of 7489 Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelD View Post
Uhm, well, thanks, but that's all about Logitech's Harmony. I actually do not know for sure, but I guess the codes for Harmony RC won't by default be those needed by Phlips Pronto. Besides that I so far didn't find out how to get a list of codes if you don't have a Harmony RC that can access the Logitech DB...

Kind regards,
Marcel
Marcel,
I do not have the same remote as you- I have URC MX-900 and use their "editor" to program my remotes- but when I first got my XMC-1 I tried using the XMC-1 codes in their database. They did not work. I then used the UMC-1 codes in their database successfully. Most of the the code names are the same, but they changed the inputs from DVD, etc. to Input #1 , etc.

XMC-1 = UMC-1
TUNER =TUNER
INPUT #1 = DVD
INPUT #2 = CABLE
INPUT #3 = SAT
INPUT #4 = VCR
INPUT #5 = AUX 1
INPUT #6 = AUX 2

If you look at both the XMC-1 and URC-1 remotes the input buttons are in the same place, just named differently, and the codes for the URC-1 match up with the XMC-1 button for button.

If you can get hold of the hex codes for the UMC-1 it might be worth a try.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7489 Old 05-28-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
I haven't been keeping up on this thread and I just saw the email from last week about the upgrade option. I'm actually considering it and I signed up... I was going to just sell the XMC-1 anyway, and holding on to it for another year or two while waiting for the xmc-2 isn't a big deal, especially considering worst case scenario is I will have a new xmc-2 that I can sell for at least as much as the used value of the un-upgraded xmc-1 + upgrade cost would be.. Or close enough to not be significant. Plus I imagine it will have a warranty, something that ran out a while back on my xmc-1..

I don't expect anything, or at least anything functional, for at least 8 or 9 months, but more likely sometime in late 2020 or early 2021. On one hand, the OS and much of the hardware is the same as the RMC-1, so many of the bugs should be worked out by the release date, and Dirac should be functional by then, but on the other, I just can't see them actually delivering something announced within a year of their proposed release date...

I have to say though, regardless of whether I will see an actual functioning XMC-2 in my lifetime, kudos to Emotiva for finally giving up on their plan to upgrade the XMC-1 and offering this trade in. When I reluctantly opened the email, expecting just another ad for their low end gear and saw the trade in deal, I thought for sure it would be something like "Trade in your XMC-1 for an XMC-2 for only $2400! To see them honoring the original price they set nearly three years ago on the Atmos upgrade was a surprise, and to see they will let you trade in for the RMC was even more surprising.

It actually makes me a little skittish seeing this deal. Between this and the 40% off coupons that most people use when buying their top end gear, you wonder what kind of margins are in the product at the end of the day... And if the margins aren't astronomical, how much money are they losing to try to keep customers happy, or gain some customers back after they bailed out for products that exist and work? Either they are making a mint selling these units, or they are taking their last gasping breaths before going under..

I also wonder if they will be left with hundreds of old xmc-1 units (that they will probably refurbish and fire-sale out after the xmc-2 sales die down) or if there really aren't that many customers who have an original warranty in their name that will truly qualify for the upgrade deal... ? This is like a double niche product - not only costly for the budget crowd and beneath the high end crowd, but also requires customer with the patience of Job. I can't imagine there are more than a few dozen people left on the planet who have been holding out for the Atmos upgrade, have a warranty in their name, and are willing to send in a functional unit for something untested.

After nearly three years in a box, I have little to lose by waiting and I have a lot of patience, so let's see what comes of this. Who knows, maybe they will pull a rabbit out of some orifice and deliver a working unit before Christmas...
post #7473 of 7489 Old 06-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I haven't been keeping up on this thread and I just saw the email from last week about the upgrade option. I'm actually considering it and I signed up... I was going to just sell the XMC-1 anyway, and holding on to it for another year or two while waiting for the xmc-2 isn't a big deal, especially considering worst case scenario is I will have a new xmc-2 that I can sell for at least as much as the used value of the un-upgraded xmc-1 + upgrade cost would be.. Or close enough to not be significant. Plus I imagine it will have a warranty, something that ran out a while back on my xmc-1..

I don't expect anything, or at least anything functional, for at least 8 or 9 months, but more likely sometime in late 2020 or early 2021. On one hand, the OS and much of the hardware is the same as the RMC-1, so many of the bugs should be worked out by the release date, and Dirac should be functional by then, but on the other, I just can't see them actually delivering something announced within a year of their proposed release date...

I have to say though, regardless of whether I will see an actual functioning XMC-2 in my lifetime, kudos to Emotiva for finally giving up on their plan to upgrade the XMC-1 and offering this trade in. When I reluctantly opened the email, expecting just another ad for their low end gear and saw the trade in deal, I thought for sure it would be something like "Trade in your XMC-1 for an XMC-2 for only $2400! To see them honoring the original price they set nearly three years ago on the Atmos upgrade was a surprise, and to see they will let you trade in for the RMC was even more surprising.

It actually makes me a little skittish seeing this deal. Between this and the 40% off coupons that most people use when buying their top end gear, you wonder what kind of margins are in the product at the end of the day... And if the margins aren't astronomical, how much money are they losing to try to keep customers happy, or gain some customers back after they bailed out for products that exist and work? Either they are making a mint selling these units, or they are taking their last gasping breaths before going under..

I also wonder if they will be left with hundreds of old xmc-1 units (that they will probably refurbish and fire-sale out after the xmc-2 sales die down) or if there really aren't that many customers who have an original warranty in their name that will truly qualify for the upgrade deal... ? This is like a double niche product - not only costly for the budget crowd and beneath the high end crowd, but also requires customer with the patience of Job. I can't imagine there are more than a few dozen people left on the planet who have been holding out for the Atmos upgrade, have a warranty in their name, and are willing to send in a functional unit for something untested.

After nearly three years in a box, I have little to lose by waiting and I have a lot of patience, so let's see what comes of this. Who knows, maybe they will pull a rabbit out of some orifice and deliver a working unit before Christmas...
Dude that was brilliant! And yeah, I'll trade for the XMC-2 and put up with its inevitably wanky, buggy software self!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 7489 Old 06-01-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I haven't been keeping up on this thread and I just saw the email from last week about the upgrade option. I'm actually considering it and I signed up...
So, is there an actual 'sign-up list' or do you just need to prove that you bought an XMC-1 from Emotiva??

post #7475 of 7489 Old 06-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
So, is there an actual 'sign-up list' or do you just need to prove that you bought an XMC-1 from Emotiva??
the page with sign up list:

https://emotiva.com/blogs/info-hub-1...source=VigLink
tngiloy likes this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7476 of 7489 Old 06-02-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
And they finally posted XMC-2 with specs and price ... no delivery date, of course.

I just read all the specs and interestingly ... the word "Dirac" does not appear on any XMC-2 pages. On the RMC-1 page it says "coming soon". I will wait for Dirac, and if it doesn't happen I will not do the tradein.

Last edited by lombarmj; 06-02-2019 at 05:31 AM.
post #7477 of 7489 Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombarmj View Post
And they finally posted XMC-2 with specs and price ... no delivery date, of course.

I just read all the specs and interestingly ... the word "Dirac" does not appear on any XMC-2 pages. On the RMC-1 page it says "coming soon". I will wait for Dirac, and if it doesn't happen I will not do the tradein.
I was stated on the emotiva forums by a forum mod that the rmc-1 rmc-l and xmc-2 will all get dirac when its available, that they are working with dirac to get the software going. I see no reason that it wont happen. I have put my name on the list and will do the trade in as soon as it becomes available to me. I dont have an atmos setup but i like that idea of dirac v2 and an upgraded processor with the possibility of having an atmos setup in the future. Of course having the warranty refresh doesnt hurt either.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #7478 of 7489 Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

An Emotiva employee already verified the RMC-1/RMC-1L/XMC-2 will be enabled with the Dirac software once Dirac Research is finished developing the code for the ADI Griffin Lite platform. Dirac Research posted(on April 5)this as well on their FaceBook home page.

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4
post #7479 of 7489 Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
An Emotiva employee already verified the RMC-1/RMC-1L/XMC-2 will be enabled with the Dirac software once Dirac Research is finished developing the code for the ADI Griffin Lite platform. Dirac Research posted(on April 5)this as well on their FaceBook home page.
Yes, I read this. I guess just an oversight that Emotiva doesn't mention Dirac 2.0 "coming soon" on the XMC-2 page.
post #7480 of 7489 Old 06-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Yes, I read this. I guess just an oversight that Emotiva doesn't mention Dirac 2.0 "coming soon" on the XMC-2 page.

That is the best approach. Dirac is not under Emotiva's control. While expected in time, products should always be purchased on current functionality, not promised functionality.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #7481 of 7489 Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
While expected in time, products should always be purchased on current functionality, not promised functionality.
If Emo customers lived by this, Emo would be out of business, lol. The ONLY reason RMC-1 owners still have their unit is because of promises of fixes and features in the future, and the only reason I've held on to my XMC-1 for so long is again because of the promises they made of functionality it doesn't currently have.

Seriously though, it does make me wonder why a product that is not even released yet is completely devoid of any mention of Dirac... I can see them taking the Dirac spec off the site when the product releases without it, but right now there is no product, they are advertising something that doesn't exist yet, so why not put features in there that they are intending?

The fact is, without Dirac, I have zero interest in the XMC-2, and likewise with the RMC-1. What makes these Emo processors a great value is having the kind of room correction you normally couldn't find at this price point. Take that away and there are a dozen reasons NOT to buy an Emo pre/pro and very few reasons TO buy one.
cschang, enricoclaudio and RUR like this.
post #7482 of 7489 Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Lost video output to TV

Hi guys, Not sure if this is a TV issue or my receiver issue, but I'm posting here and in the TV thread as well. I have an Emotiva XMC-1 connected from its HDMI 2 output to the Samsung Q90R HDMI 3 input. Both are ARC. I have an Nvidia Shield TV connected to the Emotiva HDMI 1 input and an Oppo 203 on the Emotiva HDMI 2 input. Everything worked fine from either source for 3 days until today. Now I can get sound to pass, but not video. Also, after switching the Samsung input to HDMI 2, 3, and 4, the TV no longer recognizes the receiver as the XMC-1 and now just calls it an unrecognized device. I'm on the newest firmware for both devices and reset the TV and receiver, but no luck. If I connect the sources directly to the TV, they work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #7483 of 7489 Old 06-21-2019, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post
Hi guys, Not sure if this is a TV issue or my receiver issue, but I'm posting here and in the TV thread as well. I have an Emotiva XMC-1 connected from its HDMI 2 output to the Samsung Q90R HDMI 3 input. Both are ARC. I have an Nvidia Shield TV connected to the Emotiva HDMI 1 input and an Oppo 203 on the Emotiva HDMI 2 input. Everything worked fine from either source for 3 days until today. Now I can get sound to pass, but not video. Also, after switching the Samsung input to HDMI 2, 3, and 4, the TV no longer recognizes the receiver as the XMC-1 and now just calls it an unrecognized device. I'm on the newest firmware for both devices and reset the TV and receiver, but no luck. If I connect the sources directly to the TV, they work.

Thanks!
Tried a full reboot? Hold the center power button until it reboots. If that doesn't work I would disconnect all HDMI and reboot. Then re-install HDMI and restart.

See My System Here
Processor: Emotiva XMC-1
R/C/L Amps... (3) Emotiva XPR-1's (1750w x 3 = 5250w)
Surround Amps: Emotiva XPA-5 G2 (200 x 4 = 800w) not using 5th
Zone 2: Emotiva Mini-X a-100 driving 2 Boston Acoustics Voyager 70's
10050 watts total power.
post #7484 of 7489 Old 06-21-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post
Tried a full reboot? Hold the center power button until it reboots. If that doesn't work I would disconnect all HDMI and reboot. Then re-install HDMI and restart.
I've done both and no change.
post #7485 of 7489 Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First of all, congratulations on getting ARC to work on your XMC-1 at all. I spent a half day trying to get it to work with my LG OLED B6 and could not get it to work. ARC is a great idea on paper, but getting it to work with the XMC-1 is glitchy at best.

But since you did have it working it still should work.
You might try a 'reset to factory defaults' on the XMC-1 if you haven't already. First save your settings to a thumbdrive, then do a reset then reload your settings. Unplug all HDMI on both XMC-1 and TV before the reset.

Of course as you know, the problem could be on the display's end. Did your TV recently have an automatic update?
Have you power cycled and unplugged/replugged HDMI's on the TV side? Checked its settings?

If you haven't contacted Emo tech yet, you might give them a try. My guess is they will suggest the same things to try as have been suggested here, but maybe they can help you get it working again.
Good luck.

post #7486 of 7489 Old 06-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
First of all, congratulations on getting ARC to work on your XMC-1 at all. I spent a half day trying to get it to work with my LG OLED B6 and could not get it to work. ARC is a great idea on paper, but getting it to work with the XMC-1 is glitchy at best.

But since you did have it working it still should work.
You might try a 'reset to factory defaults' on the XMC-1 if you haven't already. First save your settings to a thumbdrive, then do a reset then reload your settings. Unplug all HDMI on both XMC-1 and TV before the reset.

Of course as you know, the problem could be on the display's end. Did your TV recently have an automatic update?
Have you power cycled and unplugged/replugged HDMI's on the TV side? Checked its settings?

If you haven't contacted Emo tech yet, you might give them a try. My guess is they will suggest the same things to try as have been suggested here, but maybe they can help you get it working again.
Good luck.
If you don't use it already, put your sensitive electronics on surge suppressors.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #7487 of 7489 Old 06-22-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3655 Post(s)
Liked: 4382
Quote:
There is test that you do pressing simultaneously Standby button + another button while powering up the XMC-1 that will test the CEC (ARC) chipset. If the test fails, then the CEC chipset is bad and that would explain why ARC is not working on your XMC-1. If the CEC chip is bad you have to send the XMC-1 back to Franklin for repair. This is covered by warranty.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7488 of 7489 Old 06-26-2019, 04:34 PM

Not getting video from receiver (update)

First, thanks for all your input guys. My original issue was this:

Thanks!
Regarding some responses, I wasn't actually using ARC, but was connected to those ports. The Shield and the Oppo were connected to HDMI input ports 1 and 2, respectively.

I've done more experimenting and it turns out that HDMI input ports on my XMC-1 1-4 all pass audio but not video. HDMI ports 1 and 2 used to work just fine for both audio and video. I never tried 3 or 4 before so no idea if they ever worked. Now, only HDMI ports 5-8 pass audio and video. Not sure if there's a different controller chip or something for ports 1-4 versus 5-8 that might have gone bad. Another thing I've noticed is that if I press HDMI button "7" on the remote, the XMC-1 goes to balanced in. I have to press "7" on the receiver itself to get it to work. Also, I've never noticed before, but there is no "8" on the remote for that HDMI input. I'll be contacting Emotiva tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!
post #7489 of 7489 Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I've done more experimenting and it turns out that HDMI input ports on my XMC-1 1-4 all pass audio but not video. HDMI ports 1 and 2 used to work just fine for both audio and video. I never tried 3 or 4 before so no idea if they ever worked. Now, only HDMI ports 5-8 pass audio and video. Not sure if there's a different controller chip or something for ports 1-4 versus 5-8 that might have gone bad. Another thing I've noticed is that if I press HDMI button "7" on the remote, the XMC-1 goes to balanced in. I have to press "7" on the receiver itself to get it to work. Also, I've never noticed before, but there is no "8" on the remote for that HDMI input. I'll be contacting Emotiva tomorrow. ...
The buttons on the remote can be assigned to whatever input you’d like, if you’ll be using HDMI 5-8 for a while, you can assign buttons 1-4 to select them.

So: Menu > Setup > Inputs > HDMI 5 > Button > Input 1 (to assign HDMI 5 to Button 1)

If HDMI 5-8 works but 1-4 don’t, you may need a new video board, if you’re comfortable replacing it, Emotiva might send you one, definitely call them about this.

If you’re not using ARC be sure it and CEC are turned off in the XMC and the Samsung, things generally will be more reliable.

HT: Emotiva XMC-1G2v3> XPA-7G2> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS & SVS SB-4000 (7.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva XMC-1G2v3> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 06-26-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page