Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2610Likes

post #2791 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5651 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Markus... I just have to point it out..

How many exchanges do you start that end up in you having to explain your self many times over..

Maybe it's the way YOU communicate, maybe it is the way YOU read what is being posted, that elicits those kind of responses..

IMO, that happens so often that maybe the problem doesn't ALWYAS lie with the others you are communicating with.
I probably don't care?
RMK! likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
I thought AVSForum was a great place to learn and discover?

And on the Emotiva XMC-1 I learn more the technical stuff from people like Markus and Igor than most. ...Please be nice with them, because without them your XMC-1 would remain buggy for a very long time. IMO
IgorZep likes this.
post #2793 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Uh guys. this is not about how the unit sounds. We are discussing a handling issue.
We as the owners of the unit should just try to find out all that we can about the nature of the issue and then report it. The more details we can provide the better. There is no need to deny the existence of the problem (despite being hard to reproduce) and there is probably no need to get accustomed to it.
There are simply no complex devices without issues these days. The XMC-1 is no different. That doesn't make it a bad unit.
Yes it sounds pretty damn good and yes it has weird clicks at the beginning of digital streams. Those 2 feats are not mutually exclusive.
Yet those clicks are not "standard operating procedure" and thus we can hope to have them being looked at by an engineer. And since it is in our own interest, we should support the engineer as much as we can by providing data and scenarios.
So if IgorZep's file can be used to trigger the issue in (all?) its variants, then it is a fantastic tool in my opinion. It may proof extremely useful to an engineer tracking down the underlying root cause and validating a fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 220
So is the XMC1 fully balanced or only L&R? The print on the front seems to imply fully balanced.
post #2795 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Thanks to NorthSky and others for their supporting words...

I am back to Dirac today. Second round of calibration... This time I returned to mic placement techniques I've used with Audyssey - more symmetrical left-to-right, but semi-random otherwise (varying distance and height of every pair of points). So, no more than two point are on the same line (except three points dead center).

Listening... This time high-frequency resolution and holographic scene seem to return. So, now everything is better than I've had with Onkyo except what XT32 did to low frequencies (and DynamicEQ did to them too at low listening levels). For solving the first issue second sub is expected to make a big difference (my next DIY 'project' for somewhere in summer, I've planned to make it anyway). For the second one - will see. Partly playing music through Kodi with replay gain applied should solve problem with having to adjust input sensitivity to make Loudness work more or less as it should.
post #2796 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 227
All IgorZep needs to do is be patient, and Emotiva will get back to him.

Let's call a big timeout on this issue until we hear what Emotiva has to say about their ability to correct this defect.
post #2797 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I thought AVSForum was a great place to learn and discover?

And on the Emotiva XMC-1 I learn more the technical stuff from people like Markus and Igor than most. ...Please be nice with them, because without them your XMC-1 would remain buggy for a very long time. IMO
Are you serious? So without Marcus and Igor "our" XMC-1s will remain buggy? Maybe you haven't visited The Lounge or read this thread closely but there have been many XMC-1 owners that have reported issues with the XMC-1 to Emotiva. Maybe not the most recent one found by Igor but the similar clicking issue and the DSD thump. My issue with Igor and Marcus isn't that they found issues it is the way they communicate with others that aren't as concerned as they are. Just look at the last exchange between FlimMixer and Marcus. As you'll see one has to always have the last word . I wonder if Marcus will take his crusade to right all the wrongs with components from the high end companies. Or maybe he prefers to stick with Emotiva and Oppo. So little time so much work to do .

Bill
smurraybhm and MUDCAT45 like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2798 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the sake of those owners quietly following this thread, and the non-owners wondering what are the known bugs in this device, can you guys please stop this shame and switch your focus to XMC-1 instead on each other and your emotional shortcommings?
Modicen likes this.
post #2799 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Amen
post #2800 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I'm not feeling too much what Dirac has done to my movie listening, for music it sounds great. What I'm not digging about it when engaged for movies it tends to be too low during the lowest of scenes, and really loud on the higher parts!

I'm guessing I need to re-calibrate my mic with someone else's mic file, and run Dirac again.

Djoel
post #2801 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
I'm not feeling too much what Dirac has done to my movie listening, for music it sounds great. What I'm not digging about it when engaged for movies it tends to be too low during the lowest of scenes, and really loud on the higher parts!

I'm guessing I need to re-calibrate my mic with someone else's mic file, and run Dirac again.

Djoel
Have you tried Dynamic Range Control of the BDP-103?
post #2802 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked: 3392
I can't imagine Dirac affects the dynamic range of your movies...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2803 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebo View Post
Have you tried Dynamic Range Control of the BDP-103?
Hm I've been streaming the movies not used the Oppo at all since running Dirac. I'll give it a go but I'll rerun with a direct cal file to see if there's a change.

Djoel
post #2804 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

It does sounds like some sort of Dynamic Range Control has been activated just like Geebo mention, I wonder if my Loudness feature on the XMC is on?

Dan
post #2805 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Hm I've been streaming the movies not used the Oppo at all since running Dirac. I'll give it a go but I'll rerun with a direct cal file to see if there's a change.

Djoel
I don't know if streamed movies are encoded with Dolby Midnight Mode but you might also try Midnight Mode from the main XMC menu.
post #2806 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Djoel
You probably need to adjust your subwoofer's house curve. Also play with the crossovers.

Just thought of another possibility. Do you have any of your speakers set to "large"? If so, ensure "enhanced bass" is set to OFF.
post #2807 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have never posted on a forum before so I hope this goes ok.

I just received an XMC-1 and am having a problem. I have problems with getting sound from my speakers. For example, my BR had sound the first night then none. The TV had sound through ARC for several times then nothing. The tuner worked for a day then no sound. My Philips HD recorder had sound earlier today, now no sound. Now no sound through any BR, recorders, or TV or tuner.

I have never had a processor before, but my Denon 4520 worked fine as a pre.

Any suggestions.
post #2808 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by buletti View Post
Uh guys. this is not about how the unit sounds. We are discussing a handling issue.
We as the owners of the unit should just try to find out all that we can about the nature of the issue and then report it. The more details we can provide the better. There is no need to deny the existence of the problem (despite being hard to reproduce) and there is probably no need to get accustomed to it.
There are simply no complex devices without issues these days. The XMC-1 is no different. That doesn't make it a bad unit.
Yes it sounds pretty damn good and yes it has weird clicks at the beginning of digital streams. Those 2 feats are not mutually exclusive.
Yet those clicks are not "standard operating procedure" and thus we can hope to have them being looked at by an engineer. And since it is in our own interest, we should support the engineer as much as we can by providing data and scenarios.
So if IgorZep's file can be used to trigger the issue in (all?) its variants, then it is a fantastic tool in my opinion. It may proof extremely useful to an engineer tracking down the underlying root cause and validating a fix.
To be clear.

I have spent a good deal of time with Emo customer service and other Emo employees/engineers on the snap/popping issue.

They assure me they are aware of it and working on a fix.
RichB and Bill Mac like this.
post #2809 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if streamed movies are encoded with Dolby Midnight Mode but you might also try Midnight Mode from the main XMC menu.
Didn't realize the XMC-1 had Dolby Midnight mode feature... But will check.

Thanks

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
You probably need to adjust your subwoofer's house curve. Also play with the crossovers.
AT the moment I don't have a Sub I know it's sad enough, it's set to none But I'm working on it..

Quote:
Just thought of another possibility. Do you have any of your speakers set to "large"? If so, ensure "enhanced bass" is set to OFF.
Being that I don't have a sub, I set my LCR speakers to large to compensate for the no low! Will definitely check thou.

Thank you for the tips ( edit: How does one goes about changing Enhanced bass to off? )

Dan

Last edited by Djoel; 05-24-2015 at 09:12 PM.
post #2810 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk1000 View Post
I have never posted on a forum before so I hope this goes ok.

I just received an XMC-1 and am having a problem. I have problems with getting sound from my speakers. For example, my BR had sound the first night then none. The TV had sound through ARC for several times then nothing. The tuner worked for a day then no sound. My Philips HD recorder had sound earlier today, now no sound. Now no sound through any BR, recorders, or TV or tuner.

I have never had a processor before, but my Denon 4520 worked fine as a pre.

Any suggestions.
What sounds where you getting, from an actual blu ray? I would recheck all the cables, if that doesn't work do a system reset but save your settings on a thumb drive.

Good luck

Djoel
post #2811 of 7551 Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

It does sounds like some sort of Dynamic Range Control has been activated just like Geebo mention, I wonder if my Loudness feature on the XMC is on?

Dan
post #2812 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW - There isn't a midnight mode on the XMC-1.
post #2813 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
BTW - There isn't a midnight mode on the XMC-1.
Yes, yes there is.

From the manual:

Midnight
Engages Dolby Midnight Mode (only affects the audio level if Midnight Mode settings have been
encoded in the source material you are listening to.)

And I verified my XMC has it.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Last edited by geebo; 05-25-2015 at 06:37 AM.
post #2814 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Can someone tell me where I find the Emotiva mic calibration file? i.e. which folder in Windows? Sorry if the answer is in the manual, lol. I have several different calibration files and plan on comparing them and posting the results. I just haven't located the standard Emo file yet. I just installed Dirac but in the Emotiva folder there are no files other than the DL application and the uninstall. I'm using Win7. thanks
Hi
I've seen circulating online a mic calibration file which is supposed to be the Emotiva mic calibration file, but it is not... this is the real one:
http://diracdocs.com/EmotivaMicCalOA.txt

Ciao, Flavio
post #2815 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5651 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
^
Thanks Flavio. That one deviates even more from the CSL calibrated file:

By the way, the "Emo by miniDSP DLCT" can be found in the shipping version of DLCT from miniDSP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecal.png
Views:	589
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	735554  

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #2816 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
Hi
I've seen circulating online a mic calibration file which is supposed to be the Emotiva mic calibration file, but it is not... this is the real one:
http://diracdocs.com/EmotivaMicCalOA.txt

Ciao, Flavio
Thanks Flavio.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #2817 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, yes there is.

From the manual:

Midnight
Engages Dolby Midnight Mode (only affects the audio level if Midnight Mode settings have been
encoded in the source material you are listening to.)

And I verified my XMC has it.

How do I go about disabling it, don't see it in OSD/ Setup menu.

Thanks

Dan
post #2818 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Dan

First of all, you would want to enable it if you have too much dynamic range and want it compressed. It's disabled by default. It's is on the main menu (Main Zone) one move to the right then up/down till you see it. Then one more to the right and there will be a check box. (I'm going from my memory here which is very good but also very short). It may only be visible with a Dolby encoded stream.
post #2819 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Thanks

Dan
Hi Dan,

Page 37 in the manual.
Bill Mac and wilbur_the_goose like this.
post #2820 of 7551 Old 05-25-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First of all, you would want to enable it if you have too much dynamic range and want it compressed. It's disabled by default. It's is on the main menu (Main Zone) one move to the right then up/down till you see it. Then one more to the right and there will be a check box. (I'm going from my memory here which is very good but also very short). It may only be visible with a Dolby encoded stream.
Thanks, I'll check on that.

I'm thinking I should just re run Dirac with a different Cal file or mic down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post
Hi Dan,

Page 37 in the manual.
Thanks Kim, time to read the manual again, which I've been meaning to do and see if I can retain some info

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page