The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1040, RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes

post #3421 of 3442 Old 02-03-2019, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4ten View Post
Have you made any progress resolving the crackling noise from your RX-A2040? My parents have an RX-1040, and just last night its front right speaker and left surround both began making crackling noises. We had to finish the movie we were watching with only the front left, center, and subwoofer active because the crackling was so obtrusive.
Nope. Haven´t really tried anything else since work has been frantic.

Any news about the service manual for the 3040 would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3442 Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question

Originally Posted by Corey888
The Parasound Halo A31 is serving as an amplifier for the front left, center, and right channels of my Yamaha RX-A3040. I am also using the A3040 as both a processor and amplifier for my left and right surround speakers. The three lights on the front of the Parasound are blue; one for each of the respective three channels. In the setup of the Yamaha, it shows the front left and right speakers as red, but the center as green. How can I be sure that the A3040 is only acting as a processor and not also as an amplifier for the center channel? Unfortunately, in the setup of the Yamaha, you can't indicate for each speaker whether or not you want that speaker to be amplified by the Yamaha. Is there a specific setting to use in the Yamaha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaumauBR View Post
The setup is somehow strange but yes you can select wich channel will amplified externally.

Just tinker with it a little bit more.
I don't see any options for the Center, only the Front (Left and Right). I am looking at pages 25-31 and 124-125 of the manual, which is online. If anyone is using an external amplifier for the Center channel, please advise as to what setting you are using. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
SPKR (GoldenEar): (L/R) Triton Reference; (C) SuperCenter XXL; (LS/RS) SuperSat 50
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 Ext Amp (LCR): Parasound Halo A31
Blu-Ray (4K): Oppo UDP-203 TV: Sony xbr75z9d; Sony xbr65z9d
post #3423 of 3442 Old 02-05-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey888 View Post
... I don't see any options for the Center, only the Front (Left and Right). I am looking at pages 25-31 and 124-125 of the manual, which is online. If anyone is using an external amplifier for the Center channel, please advise as to what setting you are using. Thanks.
I'm late to this, but what happens if you use the Center PRE OUT and in settings mark that there is no Center speaker present?

Or if you mark it "present" but nothing hooked to the center speaker terminals, it won't use any power as nothing is inline with that terminal.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 3442 Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I'm late to this, but what happens if you use the Center PRE OUT and in settings mark that there is no Center speaker present?

Or if you mark it "present" but nothing hooked to the center speaker terminals, it won't use any power as nothing is inline with that terminal.
There are two types of settings. The first type is to set each speaker as large, small, or none. If the center is selected as none, then the signal is directed to the left and right channels. The second type is the Power Amp Assign settings. It is this type that is the problem in that there is no option for the center channel to be powered by an external amplifier. It is possible that if an external amplifier is connected to the pre-out for the center, that one of the options is overridden and that the center channel is processed, but that the amplification is handled only by the external amp (the Parasound Halo A31). I can't be sure what is happening. Previously, the A3040 was powering two Golden Ear Triton Reference towers, the Golden Ear XXL center, and the two Golden Ear SuperSat 50 surrounds. Now, the A3040 is only powering the center and two surrounds, a much smaller load. I am wondering whether there are any other members of this forum who are successfully using an external amplifier for the center speaker.

SPKR (GoldenEar): (L/R) Triton Reference; (C) SuperCenter XXL; (LS/RS) SuperSat 50
post #3425 of 3442 Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
I suggest trying my second idea. Mark the Center channel there, "Large," but connect nothing to the speaker terminal(s). Just hook a separate amp to the Center PRE OUT.

But frankly, your current state (the 3040 only powering Center and Surround speakers) sounds adequate. I've lost track of the "problem" or the need for this solution. :}

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #3426 of 3442 Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I suggest trying my second idea. Mark the Center channel there, "Large," but connect nothing to the speaker terminal(s). Just hook a separate amp to the Center PRE OUT.

But frankly, your current state (the 3040 only powering Center and Surround speakers) sounds adequate. I've lost track of the "problem" or the need for this solution. :}
On the first point, nothing is connected to the center speaker terminal; the center pre-out is connected to my Parasound amplifier.

On the second point, the goal is to use the Parasound as the amplifier for the center speaker because it is a much better amplifier. The Yamaha can power the surrounds and act as the processor for all of the channels.

post #3427 of 3442 Old 04-17-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cafeman
Further update, Apple has now looked into it and confirmed that the incorrectly encoded stream may be due to a known limitation with how the Apple TV sends positional audio information to the decoder. Without going into too much technical detail, they've asked me to pass across a known workaround (that to my eye doesn't look to be overly complicated to implement) to Yamaha to see whether it can be included as a compatibility patch specifically for the Apple TV.
They've also requested some technical dumps to help diagnose and potentially resolve the issue. Obviously still an ongoing issue, but things seem to be moving ahead. No guarantees it'll get fixed but any progress is good progress.

Hi.
Any update about this issue?
Thanks!
post #3428 of 3442 Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Post BUG repport to Apple!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliecer View Post
cafeman
Further update, Apple has now looked into it and confirmed that the incorrectly encoded stream may be due to a known limitation with how the Apple TV sends positional audio information to the decoder. Without going into too much technical detail, they've asked me to pass across a known workaround (that to my eye doesn't look to be overly complicated to implement) to Yamaha to see whether it can be included as a compatibility patch specifically for the Apple TV.
They've also requested some technical dumps to help diagnose and potentially resolve the issue. Obviously still an ongoing issue, but things seem to be moving ahead. No guarantees it'll get fixed but any progress is good progress.

Hi.
Any update about this issue?
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeman View Post
A
Spoiler!
- I'd really encourage everyone else who's having these issues to do the same on bugreport.apple.com. For reference, my text is below if you want to copy and paste:
Spoiler!

@Eliecer : I would say that you should do as Cafeman advised all of us having this issue, reporting the bug to Apple; I personally done it just now, and included the tvOS v.12.2.1 .
I know from personal experience that the more people complain, the more serious the issue is taken into consideration!
Therefore, the more/many of us complaining, the higher the chances to get this fixed!
post #3429 of 3442 Old 05-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wrote to Apple and Yamaha. Waiting for an answer!

Regards
post #3430 of 3442 Old 05-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've written to Apple and Yamaha about the Apple TV 4k ATMOS issue and Apple is blaming Yamaha for being non-compliant. I haven't gotten very far with Yamaha yet. Is there any hope for this to get resolved or is this generation of receiver just not going to work with ATV 4k ATMOS?
post #3431 of 3442 Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm almost affected by the crackling issue in the front-right speaker after firmware update (I was in 1.66 and upgraded all the way to 1.98).
Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in the web the old firmware in order to rollback to it.

Does anyone in this forum have a copy of 1.60 or 1.66 or similar, so I can give it a try?

This receiver is our of warranty already, and this problem makes the device basically unusable.

thank you very much
post #3432 of 3442 Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaendler View Post
Hi all,

I'm almost affected by the crackling issue in the front-right speaker after firmware update (I was in 1.66 and upgraded all the way to 1.98).
Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in the web the old firmware in order to rollback to it.

Does anyone in this forum have a copy of 1.60 or 1.66 or similar, so I can give it a try?

This receiver is our of warranty already, and this problem makes the device basically unusable.

thank you very much
I meant to say: I'm ALSO affect.

thanks
post #3433 of 3442 Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
I meant to say: I'm ALSO affect.

thanks
I had a similar issue in my 2040 that was cured by pulling the plug on the AVR for 30 min.
post #3434 of 3442 Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Hi all,

thank you very much
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I had a similar issue in my 2040 that was cured by pulling the plug on the AVR for 30 min.
If rdgrimes fix doesn't work for you, I have the RXA3040 firmware updates from 1.6 to 1.98 stored on my laptop (see screenshot). Not sure which model you have or the best way to send the update(s) to you, but I'd be willing to give it a try if you like.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RXA3040 Versions.png
Views:	11
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	2571076  
post #3435 of 3442 Old 05-27-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
If rdgrimes fix doesn't work for you, I have the RXA3040 firmware updates from 1.6 to 1.98 stored on my laptop (see screenshot). Not sure which model you have or the best way to send the update(s) to you, but I'd be willing to give it a try if you like.
Jack

Jack, you would make me the happiest man in the world if you could share those files with me.
I still can't send private messages, but if you send me one, I'll give you a onedrive link for you to upload the files.

thanks so much!!!
post #3436 of 3442 Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Jack, you would make me the happiest man in the world if you could share those files with me.
I still can't send private messages, but if you send me one, I'll give you a onedrive link for you to upload the files.

thanks so much!!!
You're welcome. PM sent.

Jack
post #3437 of 3442 Old 05-28-2019, 05:47 AM

I didn't get your PM.
Perhaps, as I'm new to the forum I can't send nor receive PMs.

I'll try to reach the count of 15 mandatory posts so then I can write to you.

thx
post #3438 of 3442 Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I didn't get your PM.

thx
Don't know what happened, but I've sent you another PM containing my email address. Please check again.

Jack
post #3439 of 3442 Old 05-28-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I didn't get your PM.

thx
@Chaendler
Also, if you want to boost your post count so that you can PM, you can add posts to the test forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/46-post-testing-area/

Jack
post #3440 of 3442 Old 06-01-2019, 04:01 PM

I have to tanks Jack1949 a million times for all his help with the firmware downgrade.
I think it has solved the crackling sound coming from the front right speaker.

However, I'm having other problems with the Yamaha, since I've bought an HDR TV, and the Yamaha 2040 doesn't seem to like it.
Has anyone at all made possible to send HDR video through the Yamaha using whatever settings?

thanks!
post #3441 of 3442 Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha Amplifier RX-A2040 problem On Screen menu

Morning all

I have an amplifier Yamaha RX-A2040 and I have some problems to have access to the menu via my television.

I connected the amplifier with HDMI cable in HDMI OUT 1 and connected on the TV on HDMI1.

When I press On Screen button on the remote controle, nothing happen

Does anyone know what's wrong

thx a lot
post #3442 of 3442 Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
EDIT: SOLVED: Press the Sur. Decode button on the remote until the Dolby Logo Surround is visible. Then the receiver will decode Dolby Atmos and display Atmos on the display window and on-screen. Works with both Dolby TrueHD from the UB820 and Dolby Digital+ from the LG C8 ARC. So, in summary, the receiver doesn't auto-detect and switch to Atmos, you have to do it manually. Thanks to Ken at Yamaha support for providing me the answer in less than a minute. 🙂 We talked for a bit about other topics and all I can say is that Ken is very knowledgeable and excellent at his job.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3040 receiver and have had it for years. It's been upgraded to the 1.98 firmware since 2017. I recently bought an LG C8 TV and a Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu-ray player.

I use a 7.1.2 setup, but just changed to a 5.1.4 setup to test with 4 Atmos speakers. The presence speakers are all set to overhead and everything checks out in setup and test tones.

I have tried both connecting the HDMI through the receiver to the TV. Since the receiver is not HDCP 2.2 the video gets scaled back to HD. When I connect the HDMI video output to the TV and the audio output to the receiver, I get Dolby Vision on the TV and Dolby TrueHD on the receiver (blu-ray audio output set to bitstream).

The receiver gets the Dolby TrueHD stream from the Blu-ray player but never acknowledges the Atmos in either configuration. It shows only Dolby TrueHD on the front display (after pressing the info button) and only 5.1 speakers active, not Dolby Atmos with 5.1.4 speakers active. The sound program is set to straight. I've also tried pressing the pure direct button but it stays with 5.1 speakers active.

Also, Netflix and Amazon Prime on the UB829 don't show Dolby Atmos icons or play Atmos streams, even for titles that should be in Atmos.

The LG TV's Netflix App shows Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision icons for some titles, but the receiver shows Dolby Digital+ (through ARC) and doesn't decode Atmos or enable the 4 presence speakers.

I've done the hard reset (unplug for 10 seconds). I haven't done the reset to factory defaults yet (i.e. initialize all) as I have lots of stuff to lose and setup again.

Can someone post a picture of the front panel and the On Screen audio info on what it is supposed to look like with Atmos working?

It's like my RX-A3040 just cannot do Atmos and knows nothing about it. Any suggestions other than a factory reset?

Last edited by jch2; 07-18-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Found a solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , aventage , repair , RX-A1040 , RX-A2040 , RX-A3040 , Yamaha , ypao

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page