The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1040, RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes

post #1861 of 3428 Old 03-29-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81828384 View Post
Quick question about the Yamaha 1040. I'm coming from years of Denon use and am considering switching to Yamaha.

If run in "straight" mode, does the 1040 digitize signals coming through the analog inputs? Primarily I'm thinking of the phono input. I'd like to plug my turntable in and keep the signal analog the whole way through.

I know its just silly audiophile thinking but I'd like to know that zero digital processing is going on when I'm spinning records. Thanks!

PURE DIRECT is the mode that sends analog inputs straight to the output section without being digitized. In PURE DIRECT mode you'll see a blue light on the front panel. Apart from no EQ etc. you'll also lose bass management so everything will be played by the front L/R speakers from the phono input (no sub woofer).
Craig Mecak and 81828384 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 3428 Old 03-29-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81828384 View Post
thanks for your response. I guess we have some confusion regarding what exactly happens to the analog signal coming into a Yamaha receiver. Either way I'm sure it will sound fine, I just mentally like the feeling of knowing my vinyl playback isn't being futzed with in any way.

Since I'm strictly a two channel setup I've considered just getting an integrated amp, but then I need HDMI switching. I know there are stand alone HDMI switchers out there, I'm just leary about how well they would actually work.
I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn last night. But its been generally accepted in most previous Yammie AVRs that there is no true "analog direct" pathway. I've seen nothing in recent years to suggest that has changed. But there does appear to be the direct mode available in the 2-ch stereo mode, and its not at all clear what that does. However I will say: if any true analog direct mode was inherent, why have that setting? DSP processing on the stereo analog inputs is the default, and in past years its been shown that even in "Pure Direct" mode you still don't get "Analog Direct". Things tend to differ in the 2040/3040 models, but I'd expect this to be the case in the 1040 unless proven otherwise. I could be wrong if things changed in the Aventage line.But a pure analog direct mode does add quite a bit of cost to an AVR. Some Denon models have it, and others surely must, but Yamaha has never advertised a pure analog mode.
81828384 likes this.
post #1863 of 3428 Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 3428 Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, wondering if anyone can guide me down the right path here? Its a query regarding 1080p/24hz. Before i got the 1040, i was using the excellent Yamaha DSP-AX863SE and only now i'm starting to notice the slight 'judder' thats associated with 24hz. All settings are the same regarding source (PS3) and tv (Samsung F556670) Is there any changes i can make regarding the amp or tv? The judder is only slight but still annoying. Thanks in advance.
post #1865 of 3428 Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn last night. But its been generally accepted in most previous Yammie AVRs that there is no true "analog direct" pathway. I've seen nothing in recent years to suggest that has changed. But there does appear to be the direct mode available in the 2-ch stereo mode, and its not at all clear what that does. However I will say: if any true analog direct mode was inherent, why have that setting? DSP processing on the stereo analog inputs is the default, and in past years its been shown that even in "Pure Direct" mode you still don't get "Analog Direct". Things tend to differ in the 2040/3040 models, but I'd expect this to be the case in the 1040 unless proven otherwise. I could be wrong if things changed in the Aventage line.But a pure analog direct mode does add quite a bit of cost to an AVR. Some Denon models have it, and others surely must, but Yamaha has never advertised a pure analog mode.

Not sure why you doubt it, but "Pure Direct" has always been promoted as a pure analog path and it still is today. It's easy to see from the block diagrams (the real ones in the SM, not the simplified one below) that all analog inputs feed directly into the analog switcher/volume control IC. In Pure Direct mode (with the blue light on) that's the path taken. In other modes the selected analog input gets digitized and follows the digital path.

The following image that has been posted many times before comes from Yamaha. They do advertise the pure analog path.

81828384 likes this.
post #1866 of 3428 Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
The following image that has been posted many times before comes from Yamaha. They do advertise the pure analog path.
Believe it or not, this is not the first time this debate has come up. Nowhere in the Yamaha marketing or manual is an "analog pure direct" pathway mentioned. If there was one, wouldn't they market that? We already know the multi-channel analog inputs bypass the ADC and DSP, and this seems to be the source of some of the confusion.
post #1867 of 3428 Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ The diagram with the blue lines is Yamaha marketing, and it clearly shows the all analog path. It's also clear from the real block diagrams in the SM, plus the audio delay (which I've measured myself) drops to basically zero for a stereo analog input in Pure Direct mode, which shows it's not going through the DSPs.
Stanton, 81828384 and Louis Bartay like this.
post #1868 of 3428 Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Slightly off-topic, but still related to PURE DIRECT mode, is that SACD 1-bit DSD (Direct Stream Digital) input via HDMI can be decoded in the pure DSD to analog domain when in Pure Direct mode. No cross-conversion from DSD to PCM needed, which normally takes care of all the bass management and EQ/Delays etc.

Craig.
post #1869 of 3428 Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Got a annoying problem and need clarification about this behaviour. Every time I switch from primary monitor to 1040 and it randoms outputs between 25,30,60p. Videocard (ASUS GTX660) also showed output is in 24,30,60hz.
In 25,30hz mode, all texts are blurry and washed out. So had to manually every time change it to 60hz.
How can I make it always output in 60hz mode?
Hopes anyone understand what I mean?
post #1870 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
Slightly off-topic, but still related to PURE DIRECT mode, is that SACD 1-bit DSD (Direct Stream Digital) input via HDMI can be decoded in the pure DSD to analog domain when in Pure Direct mode. No cross-conversion from DSD to PCM needed, which normally takes care of all the bass management and EQ/Delays etc.

Only the 3040 now supports a Pure Direct path for DSD input where it goes straight to the DACs and bypasses DSP processing. The 2040 and lower models have to use the DSPs to decode DSD to PCM.

In past years DSD-capable DACs went as low as the RX-V1700 (maybe even lower).

Louis Bartay likes this.
post #1871 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 194
On the 3040 you can choose between HDMI 4k mode 1 and 2. What's the difference between these? My manual doesn't say anything so I Guess it's an update.
post #1872 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
On the 3040 you can choose between HDMI 4k mode 1 and 2. What's the difference between these? My manual doesn't say anything so I Guess it's an update.

It's new from when they added support for 444 chroma with 4K60p video. You have to enable the new feature by switching to HDMI 4K mode 1. The default is mode 2 and will not output 444. I suppose they made it optional to avoid possible incompatibility issues.

Along with the new 1.66 firmware that supports 444 output, you can download the extra manual pages that describe it.
Gurba likes this.
post #1873 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
It's new from when they added support for 444 chroma with 4K60p video. You have to enable the new feature by switching to HDMI 4K mode 1. The default is mode 2 and will not output 444. I suppose they made it optional to avoid possible incompatibility issues.

Along with the new 1.66 firmware that supports 444 output, you can download the extra manual pages that describe it.
Thanks mate.
post #1874 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi guys. I am trying to learn my way around this receiver and have a basic question. If I am playing a movie that is TrueHD or whatever format, is it supposed to tell me on the receiver display what format is playing? Mine never changes regardless. My bd player is an Oppo 103 and I have the RX-A3040. I have an Kodi Linux machine connected to the HDMI input on the Oppo and it shows the 3040 as selected for audio output. It sounds great...I am just trying to understand how everything works and make sure I have it set up correctly. Thank you in advance

Robin
post #1875 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
Hi guys. I am trying to learn my way around this receiver and have a basic question. If I am playing a movie that is TrueHD or whatever format, is it supposed to tell me on the receiver display what format is playing? Mine never changes regardless. My bd player is an Oppo 103 and I have the RX-A3040. I have an Kodi Linux machine connected to the HDMI input on the Oppo and it shows the 3040 as selected for audio output. It sounds great...I am just trying to understand how everything works and make sure I have it set up correctly. Thank you in advance

Robin
"Info" button on the remote toggles the front panel display. The Info section in the OSD also provides details.
post #1876 of 3428 Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
"Info" button on the remote toggles the front panel display. The Info section in the OSD also provides details.

Excellent! Thank you very much. I see it now
post #1877 of 3428 Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone . I ordered the 3040 today ,and I was wondering about the musical performance on the ESS SABRE 32 bit DAC? I'm stumped as to why Yamaha issues the 32 bit DAC for the front but the rest of the channels are processed by SABRE 24 bit for rest of the channels??I'm replacing a Pioneer sc 37 with the Yamaha 3040? The Wolfsen 32 bit DAC that's in the sc37 is outstanding!! The 3D imaging even listening to YouTube was spot on! Now that's usually when I'm listening to a 24bit or HQ rec on YouTube?
I'm hoping for the same thing with the Yamaha? I'm 75% music 25% movies? And I'm not really to excited about the Atmos ,but it's nice to have? Also,the Pioneer uses QDEO upscaling and Yamaha has there own chip to do this? Would anyone know the diff here between the two?
Pioneer is ending there AVR line so as much as I wanted the sc 87? Pioneer is closing shop on home AVR side . So If anyone can give me any pointers on my new purchase or recommendations ,and might have the answers to my concern,please let me know? And thanks in advance?

Last edited by dabsim; 04-01-2015 at 01:44 PM.
post #1878 of 3428 Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good day, friends! I noticed a problem with your receiver RX A1040. When listening to music (Katie Melua / Ketevan) with USB or any digital input, audible wheeze from the tweeters. Wheeze is if the speakers are set to small, the large mode, no rattle! Wheeze is heard clearly on flac, Katie Melua / Ketevan - sailing ships from heaven, 01:26 and 2:30 onwards. Use: OPPO 93 - 1040 - Dynaudio X16 \ X12 \ X22 \ Velodyne SPL12U. The volume wheeze is not affected, the wide receiver firmware 1.66, settings were reset to factory settings does not help. Hope for your help or any idea how to win, Thanks!
post #1879 of 3428 Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
Hello everyone . I ordered the 3040 today ,and I was wondering about the musical performance on the ESS SABRE 32 bit DAC? I'm stumped as to why Yamaha issues the 32 bit DAC for the front but the rest of the channels are processed by SABRE 24 bit for rest of the channels??
The ESS 9016 handles the 1st 8 channels, the ESS 9006 handles the rest. I'll put it this way, if you can hear any difference between those two DAC chips, you must have speakers that each cost more as the 3040. And a golden ear to go with them.

The Yamaha VP chip is custom made by TI, I'd rate it on par with any of the various Qdeo chips around. But with decent source hardware you shouldn't need any processing in the AVR anyhow.
post #1880 of 3428 Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all!

I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice. I have a 1040 on the latest firmware, and have done for a few months now. There are two things which are frustrating me... The first i suspect is as a result of a faulty unit, and something i probably should have returned it for. The second i live with until i try and correct it, and then get hideously frustrated that it doesn't seem to save my settings!

1) Often, although not always (probably 70% of time) when i switch source, the sound does not flick over. It misses that tell tale 'click' even though the source is displaying correctly on the display panel. The fix is a simple turn off and back on... a little annoying, but with with the exception of Spotify, its a 2 second fix. Is this a known issue, or do I just have a dodgy unit?

2) Lip sync! Its only marginally off, in fact its so close I cannot even decide whether it slight ahead or behind, but none the less it is noticeable. I guess it has to be ahead, especially as thats the only way i can correct it... If only it would save my settings! It could be that i'm doing it wrong. I click 'On Screen' then Setup > Lip Sync. I change the settings to say 20ms, and then return to the top of the menu, and then go back to my TV Scene (Scene2) I should mention that i have modified the settings on the scene so lip sync is available (ticked!) and have saved that. I then go back to TV, and there is no noticeable change. I'll then i go back to the settings and and find that the 20ms has reset to 0. The same is true if i change it from automatic to manual, it doesn't save and i see no option to tell it to save. The second option down in sound settings is Dynamic Range. If i tweak that at the same time, and go back to TV, it retains the Dynamic Range setting, but again, the Lip-sync goes back to default. It could well be that i'm going about it incorrectly, or it is a genuine bug... Either way my frustration is at its limits!

Any advice anybody could offer would be most welcome.

Many thanks
post #1881 of 3428 Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardif099 View Post
Hi all!

I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice. I have a 1040 on the latest firmware, and have done for a few months now. There are two things which are frustrating me... The first i suspect is as a result of a faulty unit, and something i probably should have returned it for. The second i live with until i try and correct it, and then get hideously frustrated that it doesn't seem to save my settings!

1) Often, although not always (probably 70% of time) when i switch source, the sound does not flick over. It misses that tell tale 'click' even though the source is displaying correctly on the display panel. The fix is a simple turn off and back on... a little annoying, but with with the exception of Spotify, its a 2 second fix. Is this a known issue, or do I just have a dodgy unit?

2) Lip sync! Its only marginally off, in fact its so close I cannot even decide whether it slight ahead or behind, but none the less it is noticeable. I guess it has to be ahead, especially as thats the only way i can correct it... If only it would save my settings! It could be that i'm doing it wrong. I click 'On Screen' then Setup > Lip Sync. I change the settings to say 20ms, and then return to the top of the menu, and then go back to my TV Scene (Scene2) I should mention that i have modified the settings on the scene so lip sync is available (ticked!) and have saved that. I then go back to TV, and there is no noticeable change. I'll then i go back to the settings and and find that the 20ms has reset to 0. The same is true if i change it from automatic to manual, it doesn't save and i see no option to tell it to save. The second option down in sound settings is Dynamic Range. If i tweak that at the same time, and go back to TV, it retains the Dynamic Range setting, but again, the Lip-sync goes back to default. It could well be that i'm going about it incorrectly, or it is a genuine bug... Either way my frustration is at its limits!

Any advice anybody could offer would be most welcome.

Many thanks
Go to the [your.yamaha.ip.address]/setup page via a browser on a computer with your receiver also on the network. Go to the SCENE section, and make sure LIP SYNC is ENABLED on that particular Scene selection. Then it will remember your lip sync settings. Lip Sync enable/disable can be set independently for each SCENE number.

Cheers,

Craig.
post #1882 of 3428 Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello,

Has anyone here upgraded from Rxv1900 to 2040?

Thoughts\review?
post #1883 of 3428 Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM

Can anyone tell me if the 3040 I ordered yesterday have an EQ? And if so,how many bands are there ,and is it independent for each speaker? My Pioneer SC 37 has an independent EQ ,and it really is handy to get nice separation especially in 2 channel audio?
The Pioneer SC37 has been a great AVR. Though it is 5 yrs old now ,and very disappointed with the life of that 2.000.00 unit. I know Yamaha has been making AVR for decades now? IM hoping that this will not only b the very best in musicality ,but will have a longer life than my older pioneer sc37? The ESS DAC is one of the pinnicle factor in choosing this model.
So if anyone here has changed from a Pioneer Sc model to a Yamaha 3040? I would like to hear from U? The diff is what Im looking for with both models?
post #1884 of 3428 Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Can someone help me out with something? I am attempting the 5.1.4 set up for Dolby. I have connected the dolby enable speakers to the front/rear presence terminals but they are greyed out in settings. When I run YPAO, it does not even show them. I have the 3040 unit. Thanks

Edit: Never mind. I was selecting the wrong setting for my new configuration

Last edited by z06gal; 04-02-2015 at 04:04 PM.
post #1885 of 3428 Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 3040 I ordered yesterday have an EQ? And if so,how many bands are there ,and is it independent for each speaker? My Pioneer SC 37 has an independent EQ ,and it really is handy to get nice separation especially in 2 channel audio?
The Pioneer SC37 has been a great AVR. Though it is 5 yrs old now ,and very disappointed with the life of that 2.000.00 unit. I know Yamaha has been making AVR for decades now? IM hoping that this will not only b the very best in musicality ,but will have a longer life than my older pioneer sc37? The ESS DAC is one of the pinnicle factor in choosing this model.
So if anyone here has changed from a Pioneer Sc model to a Yamaha 3040? I would like to hear from U? The diff is what Im looking for with both models?
Yamaha AVR's have legendary reliability: my first 2-ch Yamaha receiver is still running after 27 years, my second RX-V2095 lasted 16 years before the motorized volume control became flakey, but was running fine otherwise.

The YPAO system incorporates a seven-band parametric EQ for each channel individually, and you will have full manual control over the center frequency and bandwidth ( Q ) for each channel's EQ setting if you think you can do better than YPAO's calibration, or your particular tastes demand something beyond what the excellent YPAO system can deliver for your environment.

Congrats! You should be quite happy with 3040, for years.
post #1886 of 3428 Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM

Thank u for the input ? I haven't been able to much feedback on this thread on the 3040 itself? I'm really excited about the 3040 and how well it will match my Definitive Technology BP2000? Mains. 20004TL sides,CLR2300 center. I'm really not into movies but 25% ? Should I just get some inexpensive Atmos speakers and only pull them out when in use due to them looking hideous to me? I'm home all day so I rely enjoy my music in diff forms much of the day? So I'm hoping the 3040 can take the everyday use? We'll we shale see?
post #1887 of 3428 Old 04-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 52
===
In response to: "Has anyone here upgraded from Rxv1900 to 2040? Thoughts\review?"
===

I went from the 1900 to 3040 the other weekend after 5+ years w/ the 1900. I was building out in a new home theater and wanted to put the additional overheads/heights to good use so the switch was necessary.

On the 1900 I wasn't hearing anything w/ the front presence speakers, but now with the 3040 it's actually running those instead of having to (automatically) switch on/off from the rear surrounds.

I had never much used the Yamaha DSPs in my old set up, but I do like the Cinema 3D on the 3040.

If I wasn't interested in going above 7.1 then I'm not sure it would have been worth the upgrade as I always thought the 1900 was a good receiver and it handled all the latest DTS/Dolby discrete channel formats until X/Atmos. So I'd say it depends on why you're thinking of making the switch.

=====
Enjoying Atmos, DTS:X, & a quad dose of PSA these days.
post #1888 of 3428 Old 04-03-2015, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshee View Post
Yamaha AVR's have legendary reliability: my first 2-ch Yamaha receiver is still running after 27 years, my second RX-V2095 lasted 16 years before the motorized volume control became flakey, but was running fine otherwise.

The YPAO system incorporates a seven-band parametric EQ for each channel individually, and you will have full manual control over the center frequency and bandwidth ( Q ) for each channel's EQ setting if you think you can do better than YPAO's calibration, or your particular tastes demand something beyond what the excellent YPAO system can deliver for your environment.

Congrats! You should be quite happy with 3040, for years.
I got also DSP-A2 still working after 17 years and just recently replace it with RX-A1040.
post #1889 of 3428 Old 04-03-2015, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattboyer View Post
===
In response to: "Has anyone here upgraded from Rxv1900 to 2040? Thoughts\review?"
===

I went from the 1900 to 3040 the other weekend after 5+ years w/ the 1900. I was building out in a new home theater and wanted to put the additional overheads/heights to good use so the switch was necessary.

On the 1900 I wasn't hearing anything w/ the front presence speakers, but now with the 3040 it's actually running those instead of having to (automatically) switch on/off from the rear surrounds.

I had never much used the Yamaha DSPs in my old set up, but I do like the Cinema 3D on the 3040.

If I wasn't interested in going above 7.1 then I'm not sure it would have been worth the upgrade as I always thought the 1900 was a good receiver and it handled all the latest DTS/Dolby discrete channel formats until X/Atmos. So I'd say it depends on why you're thinking of making the switch.

As A owner of a 1900 purchased new 7 years ago I wondered the same thing as am going wait on ATMOS until there are more movies being made with this audio content before I spend big bucks on a upgrade again. My RX-V1900 gets hammered on every day. Lets hope the new Advantage line is this reliable.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #1890 of 3428 Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I'm planning to get the A1040. Does pure direct mode work on multichannel 7.1 analog inputs?
The video circuitry will be shut down as well as the AVR's front display in pure direct mode, am I correct?
If I were to adjust the volume knob, how do I know my dB volume level (if the display is shutdown in pure direct)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , aventage , repair , RX-A1040 , RX-A2040 , RX-A3040 , Yamaha , ypao

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page