The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1040, RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes

post #2041 of 3442 Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmike21 View Post
Its all about the money "MONEY" Im sure thats what their thinking. Too many impatient people pulled the trigger too fast instead of waiting for the DTS-X announcement and product release. Nature of the game, patience is your best friend sometimes in this game lol.
Change is the name of the game in technology. When has there ever NOT been some new technology coming around the corner? If the tech companies waited before releasing gear so as to include the next technology, they would never release anything. If you only buy after the next great stuff is released, you'd never buy anything.
dsinger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 3442 Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmike21 View Post
Its all about the money "MONEY" Im sure thats what their thinking. Too many impatient people pulled the trigger too fast instead of waiting for the DTS-X announcement and product release. Nature of the game, patience is your best friend sometimes in this game lol.
I am waiting on upgrading my Yamaha AVR for ATMOS/ DS-X as there are so few Blurays with the new ceiling speaker format. I hope the new 2015 Yamaha has the latest audio updates from DTS and ATMOS sorted out. Right now I am still happy with my 2009 RX-V1900 7.1 HD AVR. it's been a gem for almost 6 1/2 years now. My older 2004 non HDMI RX-V2400 is still jamming in the Grand Kids bedroom with the PS3 for their video games......... that PS3 is a killer 7.1 Bluray player too.
philmike21 likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #2043 of 3442 Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yeah think alotof people are just kind of waiting it out. Cant say i blame them. Seems like DTS-X may give a little more flexibility on speaker placement also. All depends on room size and shape and height of room really. What works for 1 person may not work for another.
Louis Bartay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can someone help me out with an audio issue? I have the 3040 and my tv is a Panasonic AE8000 projector. I also have a Roku 3 and an AppleTV connected as saved scenes. For some reason, when I power up the system I have no audio [all hdmi] with anything. I have to go into settings, turn hdmi control off and back on to get it to work. This started this past Saturday and I have no idea why. I have not been into settings as I have not had the need to do so. Thanks so much to anyone that can tell me how to fix this.

Robin
post #2045 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
Can someone help me out with an audio issue? I have the 3040 and my tv is a Panasonic AE8000 projector. I also have a Roku 3 and an AppleTV connected as saved scenes. For some reason, when I power up the system I have no audio [all hdmi] with anything. I have to go into settings, turn hdmi control off and back on to get it to work. This started this past Saturday and I have no idea why. I have not been into settings as I have not had the need to do so. Thanks so much to anyone that can tell me how to fix this.

Robin
Sounds like you have a HDMI control issue dealing with ARC.

When I turn my system on the TV takes over as the audio source. After a short delay pressing an input button on the remote (even the same one its already on) will reset the audio back to the input and away from the TV.
post #2046 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Correct. The A2040/A3040 are 9CH models so with a 5.1 setup in the main zone (ie. not using Atmos height speakers), you still have 4 amps left to power Zones 2 and 3, otherwise, for more speakers in the main zone, you also have the Zone 2/3 pre-outs which can pass to an external amp to power the Zone 2/3 speakers.

Route a single "cable" you mean from the AVR to the TV, and yes, this will work until you start using an HDCP 2.2 device that would require connecting the video directly to the TV with audio from the device to the AVR (that is if the TV itself is HDCP 2.2).
Thanks. Appreciate the information. I won't be using Atmos since our room is pre-wired for speakers in the ceiling. I know it is not ideal but it is already there so might as well use it. We watch movies a couple times a week and anything would be better than what we have now which is nothing but the TV / LG's sound bars. It is pre-wired for 7.1 so my thought was to use the 20/3040 to drive the main room, then see if zone 2 or 3 could work say exercise room (speaker pair) and maybe back yard.

The main issue I'm having now is trying to fit something in the ceilings without breaking the bank. I was thinking of just putting a reasonable pair of bookshelves and then just whatever in the ceiling for now. We'll see.

Thanks again, at least I understand how it works and can go from there.
post #2047 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Robin
As already posted, simply pressing the appropriate input should resolve that. When you 1st have no audio, use the front panel display or the OSD to determine what audio source is selected. That may tell you which device is trying to claim the audio. But if you want to avoid it, try turning off CEC control in each of the input devices one at a time till you find the culprit.
post #2048 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Than you guys. I will go through each input. I wish I knew what I did to bring his on. Lol
post #2049 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Than you guys. I will go through each input. I wish I knew what I did to bring his on. Lol
Something may have auto-updated software, like the Roku or ATV.
post #2050 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf01 View Post
The main issue I'm having now is trying to fit something in the ceilings without breaking the bank. I was thinking of just putting a reasonable pair of bookshelves and then just whatever in the ceiling for now. We'll see.
I think people are getting too literal with ceiling thing: if you can mount speakers (very) high up on the side walls in line with your mains, you can work the mount/angle to get decent 5.x.2 performance. No "ceiling mounts" required!
philmike21 likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #2051 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio lag on multi-channel input

Hi:

I have owned the Yamaha RX-A1040 receiver for about 1/2 year and love it. This Yamaha is the best sounding and most versatile receiver I have ever owned.

There is only one thing that is really griping me.

When I start to play a multi-channel source from a component connected to the Yamaha RX-A1040, I many times miss the first couple of seconds of audio. Most of the time, stopping and then starting again resolves the issue (annoying to have to do so). Note that I have two components connected to the Yamaha via HDMI and this happens with both of them.

But I recently purchased my first DVD-Audio Disc: Mahler's Resurrection Symphony. When I started to play the multi-channel HQ audio track, again the first few notes were cut off. This time, stopping and starting did not help. As a music lover, I like to hear the entire piece of music from the beginning, not from a couple of seconds into the piece.

Does any other owner of the Yahama experience this problem and is there a solution to it?

Thank you.

captnvideo
post #2052 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post
Hi:

I have owned the Yamaha RX-A1040 receiver for about 1/2 year and love it. This Yamaha is the best sounding and most versatile receiver I have ever owned.

There is only one thing that is really griping me.

When I start to play a multi-channel source from a component connected to the Yamaha RX-A1040, I many times miss the first couple of seconds of audio. Most of the time, stopping and then starting again resolves the issue (annoying to have to do so). Note that I have two components connected to the Yamaha via HDMI and this happens with both of them.

But I recently purchased my first DVD-Audio Disc: Mahler's Resurrection Symphony. When I started to play the multi-channel HQ audio track, again the first few notes were cut off. This time, stopping and starting did not help. As a music lover, I like to hear the entire piece of music from the beginning, not from a couple of seconds into the piece.

Does any other owner of the Yahama experience this problem and is there a solution to it?

Thank you.

captnvideo
Not unusual at all, its an HDMI handshake. You either have to hit the skip-back button, or just get used to it.
post #2053 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Something may have auto-updated software, like the Roku or ATV.
It was the Oppo bdp. HDMI cec was disabled and as soon as I enabled it for HDMI 1 I got audio. Thank you guys. I learned something
post #2054 of 3442 Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
It was the Oppo bdp. HDMI cec was disabled and as soon as I enabled it for HDMI 1 I got audio. Thank you guys. I learned something
CEC sometimes winds up being an "all or nothing" proposition. You sidestepped your problem by enabling it in the Oppo, but it may rear its head again.
post #2055 of 3442 Old 04-29-2015, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Not unusual at all, its an HDMI handshake. You either have to hit the skip-back button, or just get used to it.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, what you told me is what I feared. Damn that unfriendly handshake! Have a good day.

captnvideo
post #2056 of 3442 Old 04-29-2015, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys,i have a question:

I have a Yamaha RXA-2040 and just bought Kef E305 Satelite speakers...The reason,the Jamo 5.1 speakers were to light for the Yammie;-)

My question is,how mutch can i tunr the Volume on the Yamaha without blowing the speakers up?

We use it in a large room when watching movies.But a m affraid of turn up the voluem,because i dont want to blow up the speakers.

The Kefs could handel MAX 125 watt According the manual...So please could someone point me teh direction how far i can turn the Volume knob of the Yammie..

Thank u guys!
post #2057 of 3442 Old 04-29-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkjan73 View Post
The Kefs could handel MAX 125 watt According the manual...So please could someone point me teh direction how far i can turn the Volume knob of the Yammie..
Thank u guys!
There's no hard and fast rule. With good clean audio content (not distorted), you really shouldn't have any worries. But its a time vs content issue. The longer it goes, the more heat is generated in the drivers. Heat is what kills drivers and/or crossovers. Most movie content won't hurt anything. Blasting compressed MP3s in 7-ch stereo mode at 0db could cook them in an hour or two. Anyhow, the power ratings of the speakers and amp have surprisingly little to do with it, and its still true that more speakers are cooked by small amps than big ones.(distortion)
post #2058 of 3442 Old 04-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank u verry mutch @rdgrimes

But isnt a unwritten true that when u buy an AMP with Max 100 watts power,the you should buy speakers with MINIMAL 125 watt..

...So if i have understand you correct,the i could turn the knob of my yammie till "0" (zero) without sweating of scareness that my keffs could blow any second?
post #2059 of 3442 Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:

But isnt a unwritten true that when u buy an AMP with Max 100 watts power,the you should buy speakers with MINIMAL 125 watt..
Not really, but ANY answer presumes someone at the controls with some understanding of the situation and a bit of common sense.

Quote:
...So if i have understand you correct,the i could turn the knob of my yammie till "0" (zero) without sweating of scareness that my keffs could blow any second?
Like I said, it depends on the content being played and the length of time at high volume. Use your head and you should be OK.
post #2060 of 3442 Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Hello guys,i have a question:

I have a Yamaha RXA-2040 and just bought Kef E305 Satelite speakers...The reason,the Jamo 5.1 speakers were to light for the Yammie;-)

My question is,how mutch can i tunr the Volume on the Yamaha without blowing the speakers up?

We use it in a large room when watching movies.But a m affraid of turn up the voluem,because i dont want to blow up the speakers.

Thank u guys!
Hi dirkjan73,

If no one has said so, welcome to AVS!

I've got the same KEF satellite speakers as yourself - the exception being that the E2 sub was sold back to the dealer. Won't be doing that again since the economic loss was more then selling the sub directly on the market. There is a thread for the KEF E-series of speakers here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ge-thread.html and if you've got specific questions related to the E301 speakers, it might be better to ask them there where other owners can provide some feedback.

Please note that the E301 satellites maximum continuous power rating is 100W - refer to KEF's website and your owner's manual for the specifications. It is not 125W. Though not spelled out, the E301 has some overhead in terms of transients by at least 3dB. This can be determined by the maximum Sound Pressure Level (SPL) vs. sensitivity of the speaker.

To determine the power requirements in your room, use the following web app: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Note that a sub is needed for reproducing the lower two octaves with the KEF E301 and the owner's manual recommends the minimum crossover frequency of 90Hz.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2061 of 3442 Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

It's better With a big amp on small speakers than a small amp on big speakers. Odds are you're more likely to blow the speaker With a small amp than a big amp. A lot of People have blown their CV speakers With small amps. They think that since the speakers can take more Power than the amp can deliver thay can turn the volume to max causing the amp to Clip and blow the mid range or tweeter. A big amp can drive the speakers to max With a clean signal.
post #2062 of 3442 Old 05-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

So now the right surround channel has started acting up. It starts to sound like a blown speaker whitch I initially thought it was. By changing the settings for the external amp the issue was gone until a cranked up the volume again. Anybody else experienced this? I have put the dealer on the case.
post #2063 of 3442 Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
So now the right surround channel has started acting up. It starts to sound like a blown speaker whitch I initially thought it was. By changing the settings for the external amp the issue was gone until a cranked up the volume again. Anybody else experienced this? I have put the dealer on the case.
Not enough information.
But its easy enough to swap speakers L-R to see if the speaker is the problem. Likewise you can swap L-R connections on the external amp and see if that's the problem.
philmike21 likes this.
post #2064 of 3442 Old 05-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

The issue is With that specific channel. I've tried swapping speakes/wires and the problem stays With the channel. I use an external amp on the fronts to get 7.1.4 and if I change the setting of the effects in the avr fron 9ch + front to basic the problem goes away. I can then change back to 9ch + front and everything is fine until I crank up the volume. It's really weird.
post #2065 of 3442 Old 05-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
The issue is With that specific channel. I've tried swapping speakes/wires and the problem stays With the channel. I use an external amp on the fronts to get 7.1.4 and if I change the setting of the effects in the avr fron 9ch + front to basic the problem goes away. I can then change back to 9ch + front and everything is fine until I crank up the volume. It's really weird.
If the external amp isn't powering the effected channel then its not relevant. Still, for the sake of troubleshooting I'd remove the amp. Might also be helpful to know what AVR you are using.
post #2066 of 3442 Old 05-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

I have the 3040. Even if the amp isn't powering the side surrounds the issue seems to be located somewhere in the Control of these. If I turn off external amp for the fronts the problematic channel Works fine again. Also Works fine when I reset the amp to the fronts. Works fine until I crank up the volume on that channel. Yamaha is working on it and I will try to remove the external amps and try one of them on the sides.
post #2067 of 3442 Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just a question on the 3040 and how it handles Spotify as I signed up today.

For some reason when I switch on Spotify it seems to default to the main zone or sometimes when I'm playing a song (in Zone 2) the audio will go dead, I go to the song pause and play it again (on my iPhone) and then it starts playing in Zone 1 and Zone 2. In Zone 1 we could be watching a movie and someone in Zone 2 plays Spotify and it takes over Zone 1, very annoying.

Is it possible to disable this?
post #2068 of 3442 Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 AM

So I think I've identified two distinct issues I'm having with Spotify/Airplay and the 3040

Essentially both Spotify and Airplay always automatically defaults to zone 1 and in the process interrupts whatever action is going on in zone 1 (Sky TV, XBMC etc). No matter what zone I want it to play in, it always switches on zone 1 to Spotify (or Airplay) assuming the listener is in that zone (in addition to the zone I have already selected). For me that is 95% not the case - Spotify/Airplay is very rarely used in zone 1 if ever.

So for example I set the 3040 to play Spotify in zone 2 (using the iPhone app). I start Spotify (again in the iPhone app) and using Spotify Connect select the 3040. Audio plays in both zone 1 and zone 2 every time. So the kids watching cartoons in zone 1 and I attempt to play Spotify in zone 2. Sky TV gets switched off for the kids and they are treated to Spotify while I also can listen in zone 2.

In addition Spotify Connect (on the 3040) has intermittent drops. Mid-song it could drop forcing me to re-establish a connection to the 3040 which in turn switches on zone 1 again (see paragraph above).

Is there any way to disable Spotify Connect from always defaulting to zone 1 on the 3040?
post #2069 of 3442 Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Also another question for those in the know....

I'm testing a Raspberry Pi running OSMC (Raspbmc) and using it as a Airplay receiver instead of the 3040 inbuilt receiver. The RPi is connected to the 3040 using a HDMI cable and from what I can see, on the 3040 display, it's outputting PCM stereo.

I can't get the 3040 to output this audio signal through the zone 2 RCA's. I have a Denon DM39 in zone 2 which I'm trying to feed the signal to. From page 167 of the manual ("Multi-zone output") it suggests that it is possible to convert the HDMI audio to output on zone 2. I can get audio out over the speakers powered by the 3040 but just not out in another zone.

Any idea what I might be missing?
post #2070 of 3442 Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson View Post
Also another question for those in the know....

I'm testing a Raspberry Pi running OSMC (Raspbmc) and using it as a Airplay receiver instead of the 3040 inbuilt receiver. The RPi is connected to the 3040 using a HDMI cable and from what I can see, on the 3040 display, it's outputting PCM stereo.

I can't get the 3040 to output this audio signal through the zone 2 RCA's. I have a Denon DM39 in zone 2 which I'm trying to feed the signal to. From page 167 of the manual ("Multi-zone output") it suggests that it is possible to convert the HDMI audio to output on zone 2. I can get audio out over the speakers powered by the 3040 but just not out in another zone.

Any idea what I might be missing?
Obvious question: do you have Zone 2 set to the correct input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , aventage , repair , RX-A1040 , RX-A2040 , RX-A3040 , Yamaha , ypao

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page