Best Reciever under $500 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 83 Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtestmonkey View Post
Have you tried Onkyo Support they fixed my TX-NR808 one and a half years after the warranty ran out...for the price of shipping it to Midwest Audio. I call that "Going Above and Beyond" Support
I did call them, but I think they wanted me to ship the unit to them before quoting a price, so that is very risky. I found a repair by mail service in AZ that charges a flat $100, but shipping is $80 round trip. They guarantee the work with lifetime warranty too. Do you think it would be much lower than $180 with Onkyo direct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here is Sound & Vision's review of many receivers including Onkyo 636 and many others.

http://www.soundandvision.com/catego...ceiver-reviews

LG 4k HDTV 65UK6500AUA with Harmony 650 remote
Dish HOPPER with Sling
TiVo Roamio OTA
Onkyo TX-NR676 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung UBD KM85c Blu Ray Player
post #63 of 83 Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulox View Post
I did call them, but I think they wanted me to ship the unit to them before quoting a price, so that is very risky. I found a repair by mail service in AZ that charges a flat $100, but shipping is $80 round trip. They guarantee the work with lifetime warranty too. Do you think it would be much lower than $180 with Onkyo direct?
I think it cost me $58.00 (UPS Store) to insure and ship to the people that Onkyo told me to.
YMMV I live in Milwaukee and Midwest Audio (easy to work with) is in northern Chicago. Onkyo was also very easy to work with. It took a couple weeks...my receiver was returned by FedX which I don't care for............thats another story. Both Onkyo and Midwest Audio are in very rarefied air of TOP SUPPORT people that I have ever had the PLEASURE to work with. Also they will get any other work I ever need. I always say "vote with your wallet". As for your answer with your issues I don't know. Not very helpful. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Well I returned the Onkyo NR636 and picked up a Denon X2000. I am just as unimpressed with the Denon as I was the NR636, particularly with calibrating the subwoofer. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can barely hear anything coming out of it, and it's quite a beefy one: Polk Audio DSW Pro 400. Never had any problems with this sub on my old SR806, so maybe I am doing calibration wrong...

BTW, I found a repair-by-mail service who will fix my Onkyo for a flat $100, and round trip shipping is $80. Beats paying the $400 the local repair shop wanted, and this guy actually repairs the board (engineered) defects instead of replacing the entire HDMI board with another flawed board. For the same fee, he also replaces the cooling fans, which cause the unit to overheat and burnout the board to begin with. I was going to repair it myself, until I found out my model has 30+ capacitors (vs. 8-10 on others) plus the fan issue. They provide a 5-year guarantee to boot. Considering I don't need 4k or bluetooth (yet) I am going to go this route.
post #65 of 83 Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
What were the speaker level results after you calibrated your Denon?

Your Polk DSW Pro 400 is an 8" sub. Its not that beefy. I could think of some much better and larger subs for the money.

Afro GT
post #66 of 83 Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22615 Post(s)
Liked: 12307
Quote:
Well I returned the Onkyo NR636 and picked up a Denon X2000. I am just as unimpressed with the Denon as I was the NR636, particularly with calibrating the subwoofer. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can barely hear anything coming out of it, and it's quite a beefy one: Polk Audio DSW Pro 400. Never had any problems with this sub on my old SR806, so maybe I am doing calibration wrong...

BTW, I found a repair-by-mail service who will fix my Onkyo for a flat $100, and round trip shipping is $80. Beats paying the $400 the local repair shop wanted, and this guy actually repairs the board (engineered) defects instead of replacing the entire HDMI board with another flawed board. For the same fee, he also replaces the cooling fans, which cause the unit to overheat and burnout the board to begin with. I was going to repair it myself, until I found out my model has 30+ capacitors (vs. 8-10 on others) plus the fan issue. They provide a 5-year guarantee to boot. Considering I don't need 4k or bluetooth (yet) I am going to go this route.
Yeh ... calling a 180W sub "beefy" reminds me of the old Wendy's commercial ... "Where's the beef?"

Please refer to the 2013 Denon E/X Models thread for assistance. You likely need to set the sub to about 9 o'clock before running Audyssey and then after Audyssey (using a camera tripod or more ideally a mic boom stand), use the Subwoofer Level setting to boost the level +3-5db to suit your "preference" as most owners end up doing that prefer more bass than what the mixer intended.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post23134210
post #67 of 83 Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Have you tried raising sub level by ear? May be a dumb question...but you never know, some may be scared to try.
post #68 of 83 Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Liked: 4
The Audessy sub eq may make subwoofer sound less but that may be as intended. Not every explosion has a boom boom sound. Just go to a construction site.

But there are those that think human footsteps should sound like T-Rex. *shrugs
post #69 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Lee 90120 View Post
The Audessy sub eq may make subwoofer sound less but that may be as intended. Not every explosion has a boom boom sound. Just go to a construction site.

But there are those that think human footsteps should sound like T-Rex. *shrugs
Or it could be that they played a deep bass song they know? Could have gone either way.
post #70 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
Or it could be that they played a deep bass song they know? Could have gone either way.
Of course. However, the bass of classic rock should not sound like the bass of hip hop type music when the sub is tuned correctly. But if you prefer more bass, simply increase the sub trim. That's what it's for.

ie., The Eagles 'hotel California' vs. The Black Eye Peas 'boom boom pow'. I've plenty of friends who crank the sub up to make the former sound like the latter.

LET DA BEAT ROCK! BOOM BOOM BOOM! GIMME DAT BOOM BOOM BOOM!

Last edited by Tommy Lee 90120; 08-24-2014 at 08:24 AM.
post #71 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sony STR-DN1040 (2013) or 1050 (2014)

You might still be able to find the 2013 Sony STR-DN1040 for less than $500 and definitely the 2014 1050 model at that price. Why do I mention the older model? Because it has more HDMI ports than the newer model, although the newer model does have a more simplified remote. I don't have a problem with the 2013 remote.

Anyway, I decided to buy the 2013 unit last December and got it for a great price through Best Buy since they price matched the Internet price, so I walked out the door paying under $500 (inc. tax).

I've always been a bit of a cheapskate audiophile, Spica TC-50 speakers, PS Audio Elite Plus integrated amp, AR belt drive turntable with Linn Basik arm, various cartridges, NAD tuner and I have to say my listening pleasure with the Sony is every bit as wonderful as I'd had with all that other gear. I hooked my Panasonic UT 50 plasma TV, Panasonic Bluray player from the same year, all my Roku, WD Live, Slingbox, etc to my gigabit network (I could have gone wireless but ethernet is always smoother and more reliable playback. Sound was my Infinity Primus 150 (had great reviews in publications) and the Infinity Primus 8 subwoofer (not as good reviews but mine sounds good enough and I've never had any problems with it.

This is the first setup I've had where I can understand TV/movie dialog clearly, even at low volumes. It really opened my eyes to just how good this Sony unit is. I also have a Pioneer unit from 5 years ago and a new Yamaha I'd bought for another room in the house, neither sound nearly as clear or dynamic, and the Yamaha was voted best receiver for its price by several publications.

One other plus is the Sony's screen interface, miles better than anyone elses.

So, do yourself a favor and read reviews, and give the Sony a listen. I think you'll really like it too.
hifiHigh likes this.
post #72 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
What were the speaker level results after you calibrated your Denon?

Your Polk DSW Pro 400 is an 8" sub. Its not that beefy. I could think of some much better and larger subs for the money.
Well, considering my theater room is pretty small (19x15, only seats 6), that "little" sub literally knocked my wife's fine china off the rack... and my HT is in the basement! That was using my old Onkyo SR806, and keep in mind this was just watching your typical action movie (guns/explosions/rock music) on blu-ray/DTS on volume level 40 (I typically watch at level 35).

Now this new Denon has the same exact total watts and watts per channel as my old Onkyo, but when I listen to same content at level 40, voices sound very muted, but sound effects sound ok. So I have to crank it up to 50-60 to be able to hear, which is very bad... something is definitely wrong.

Here are all of my settings on the Denon X2000 after running Audyssey:

Levels
Front L -2.0
Front R -1.0
Center +0.5
Subwoofer -3.5
Surround L -1.0
Surround R -1.0
Surr. Back L 0.0
Surr. Back R -0.5

Crossovers
Front Full Band
Center Full Band
Surround 150 Hz
Surr. Back 120 Hz

Subwoofer Mode: LFE
LPF for LFE: 200 Hz (this was set to 120 originally, someone told me to try bumping to 200...?)

Audyssey
MultEQ XT: Audyssey
Dynamic EQ: On
Reference level offset 0.0
Dynamic Volume: Off

Polk Audio DSW Pro 400 settings:
Volume 12 (out of 40) - this was set to 20 during Audyssey setup
Phase: 0
Room: corner
post #73 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
^You are setting the crossover/bass control wrong. I don't see where you have listed your speakers. Start there.
In the mean time set all speakers to small. That will send the bass notes to the subwoofer. You probably
did that wrong on the Onkyo also. Your speakers lower midrange will determine the proper crossover setting.
Until we know what they are set them to 80hz.
post #74 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
^You are setting the crossover/bass control wrong. I don't see where you have listed your speakers. Start there.
In the mean time set all speakers to small. That will send the bass notes to the subwoofer. You probably
did that wrong on the Onkyo also. Your speakers lower midrange will determine the proper crossover setting.
Until we know what they are set them to 80hz.
Audyssey auto set Front/Center bands to Full Range. So you are saying to change those to 80 Hz?

Here are my other speakers:

Center: Polk Audio CSi3 (set to SMALL in Denon)
Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 60 (set to LARGE in Denon, default) - Given the specs of the M60, I think this is correct?
Surrounds (2 sides/2 rear) Polk Audio RM8 (set to SMALL)

Someone (who is an audio expert) told me to set crossover for sub to 200 Hz (Audyssey set it to 120) and change sub level from -3.5 to +3.5.

Also, does Dynamic Volume actually work as marketed, or is it just a gimmick?
post #75 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Set all your speakers to SMALL so that the low frequencies will go to your sub. Set the CSi3 and Monitor 60 crossovers to 80hz. You might get away with 60hz for Monitor 60's but start with 80hz and see how that works.

But definitely set them all to small.

Afro GT
post #76 of 83 Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 PM

Ok thanks, I set them all to small and when I did that, it changed everything to the following automatically:

Front 40 Hz
Center 40 Hz
Surround 150 Hz
Surr. Back 120 Hz
Subwoofer: 120 Hz

I changed front/center to 60 and it sounds a bit better now. BTW, I am trying different Blu-ray movies (ex. Thor, 300 Empire, Robocop) using DTS Neo 6, and listening at volume level 55-60. Still struggling to hear voices from front/center, but when music or sound effects play it sounds ok.

What should I set the sub to? I will also try front/center at 80. I think this may have been what I had the Onkyo set to, but can't recall for sure.
post #77 of 83 Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Every receiver will set the tower speakers to large. For proper bass management always change them to small
when a subwoofer is used. Always keep the bass lfe at 120hz. For the others speakers set the front to 60hz.
Center speaker to 80hz. 40 is way too low. It can't play that low! And set all the rm8 to 120hz.

The fronts can be set to 80hz but no higher. Too bad denon doesn't offer 70hz crossover. That would be
perfect for the towers. Center speaker can never be set lower than 80hz. Just leave it at 80hz forever.
This is all based on their specs/performance capabilities. How does the bass sound now?

There are other adjustments for dialog. Don't mess with the center crossover to adjust it.
Audyssey will set an initial subwoofer level (volume). That should be near the center (zero). If not the
subwoofer amplifier volume needs to be fine tuned. After that turn sub/bass up in receiver only.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-25-2014 at 08:06 AM.
post #78 of 83 Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
The Denon X2000 would probably be my pick, but the NAD 748 isn't a bad option if you don't need bells and whistles. There's a shop here in Boston that's selling them for under $500:

http://www.spearitsound.com/Surround...-NAD_T748.html
The NAD T748 at Crutchfield is labeled as a T748v2, and selling for $599. I'm thinking this a newer version with different features than what's being sold at Spearit Sound. I'm not sure, but I'd like to know because this receiver is at the top of my list for a "mostly music" setup in one of my rooms.
post #79 of 83 Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Every receiver will set the tower speakers to large. For proper bass management always change them to small
when a subwoofer is used. Always keep the bass lfe at 120hz. For the others speakers set the front to 60hz.
Center speaker to 80hz. 40 is way too low. It can't play that low! And set all the rm8 to 120hz.

The fronts can be set to 80hz but no higher. Too bad denon doesn't offer 70hz crossover. That would be
perfect for the towers. Center speaker can never be set lower than 80hz. Just leave it at 80hz forever.
This is all based on their specs/performance capabilities. How does the bass sound now?

There are other adjustments for dialog. Don't mess with the center crossover to adjust it.
Audyssey will set an initial subwoofer level (volume). That should be near the center (zero). If not the
subwoofer amplifier volume needs to be fine tuned. After that turn sub/bass up in receiver only.
I used all of these settings and bass sounds much better now, thanks! Sub level is set to 25% (on the sub itself) and +3.5 on the receiver. BUT, what is frustrating is that I still have to turn the master volume up much higher than I did before on the comparable Onkyo, just to hear normal dialog during a movie. I have to crank it up to 65 or 70 to hear normally, as opposed to 45-50 on the Onkyo. Not sure how true this is, but I was told that you shouldn't have to turn it up that high, and that is an indicator of a cheap quality receiver. Also cranking it up past 50 regularly will stress the speakers out and shorten their life span?

Lastly, when I have the volume that high, and it switches from dialog to music or sound effects, they are louder than I want them to be (about 5 levels) so I now I find myself fiddling back and forth with the volume so I don't piss the wife off. When it's at 60 I can barely make out dialog, but 65-70 is too loud with music/effects....

Once I get my old Onkyo back from the repair shop, I will plug it in and do a side by side comparison using the same content (assuming all settings are the same) to rule out improper config as the root cause.
post #80 of 83 Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try setup>audio>dialog level. Page 119 & 127 of manual. A common problem.
Just like your subwoofer is at +3.5 you can increase the center channel too (speaker level).
Here is the official thread of the x2000. Post #3 covers a lot of operation and troubleshooting.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post23134210

What is the maximum volume # on your receiver? Each model above that has a slightly larger power supply.
Look on the back of the receiver. x2000 should say 500 watts. What does your old Onkyo say?
This directly affects how loud the speakers can play and volume knob position.

Post #3 of faq claims volume knobs have changed and that the maximum on the denon is +82?
If so 50 isn't bad but 70 seems very high. Hopefully that was for the dialog and not music.
Using one or both of the center channel adjustments will cure that.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-25-2014 at 10:52 PM.
post #81 of 83 Old 09-01-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Should I consider the Sony STR-DN1050 over the Denon X2000? I've been using the X2000 for little while and happy with it so far. Seems to work as it should haven;t really gone deep into tewarking or features.
The Sony STR-DN1050 is on sale for just bit more than what I paid for X2000
post #82 of 83 Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Onkyo 818 can not be beat at this price range
post #83 of 83 Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Onkyo 818 can not be beat at this price range
Can't find the - Onkyo TX-NR818 under $600. The Denon X2000 was $399 and Sony is $415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page