Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1259Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #841 of 2777 Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
They said it will take some time since they are currently out of refurbs. I am fine with that since I have an older AVR as my backup and am currently using it. I would rather wait and get the upgrade than have another repair of the same AVR.
I would be willing to wait too!

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #842 of 2777 Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Rubicon_Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So just an update/timeline...
11/20...Submitted online paper work/Onkyo Created a label with FedEx
11/24...Return box was picked up by FedEx
11/26...Return box delivered to my house/Broken Receiver boxed up and dropped off at FedEx
12/01...Broken Receiver delivered to Onkyo/Return label was created by Onkyo
12/02...Repaired receiver picked up by FedEx
12/04...Delivery attempt missed (signature required)
12/05...Repaired receiver delivered.
12/12...Receiver still working as it should after a week of use.

Total time 2 weeks exactly (without me missing a delivery attempt). Not bad all considering they got my receiver the 1st and it was out the door the next day.
old corps likes this.
Rubicon_Joey is offline  
post #843 of 2777 Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great Info! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon_Joey View Post
So just an update/timeline...
11/20...Submitted online paper work/Onkyo Created a label with FedEx
11/24...Return box was picked up by FedEx
11/26...Return box delivered to my house/Broken Receiver boxed up and dropped off at FedEx
12/01...Broken Receiver delivered to Onkyo/Return label was created by Onkyo
12/02...Repaired receiver picked up by FedEx
12/04...Delivery attempt missed (signature required)
12/05...Repaired receiver delivered.
12/12...Receiver still working as it should after a week of use.

Total time 2 weeks exactly (without me missing a delivery attempt). Not bad all considering they got my receiver the 1st and it was out the door the next day.
OK, this is GREAT information! I got an email yesterday my box is on it's way. I know they have a list of items that need to go in the box but is the barcode from the original box really needed? I am worried I don't have the box! Mainly because (SILLY ME!) I ASSUMED the receiver would work for MANY MANY years! Especially because this is my SECOND one!

I'll keep you posted. The terrible thing is my party is in 1 week. UGH. Guess NO Christmas miracles this year!!!

Good luck to all you!
brooke71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #844 of 2777 Old 12-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Rubicon_Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke71 View Post
OK, this is GREAT information! I got an email yesterday my box is on it's way. I know they have a list of items that need to go in the box but is the barcode from the original box really needed? I am worried I don't have the box! Mainly because (SILLY ME!) I ASSUMED the receiver would work for MANY MANY years! Especially because this is my SECOND one!

I'll keep you posted. The terrible thing is my party is in 1 week. UGH. Guess NO Christmas miracles this year!!!

Good luck to all you!
Barcode from the original box? That wasn't on the list of stuff on the paperwork they sent me. There was once piece of paper I had to fill out and that was it.
Rubicon_Joey is offline  
post #845 of 2777 Old 12-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Newbie
 
Skywatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thought I would add my experience with the Onkyo RMA process. I have a TX-NR509 that experienced the no sound, net initializing issue. I filled out the form from Onkyo and my unit was covered. The box was sent in 2 days and I mailed the same day. Unit was received at Onkyo in 2 days, 12/08. A unit was sent out on 12/10. I received it today and all is working well. It was not my original unit, not same serial # but I expected that.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-12-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Skywatcher is offline  
post #846 of 2777 Old 12-12-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Thought I would add my experience with the Onkyo RMA process. I have a TX-NR509 that experienced the no sound, net initializing issue. I filled out the form from Onkyo and my unit was covered. The box was sent in 2 days and I mailed the same day. Unit was received at Onkyo in 2 days, 12/08. A unit was sent out on 12/10. I received it today and all is working well. It was not my original unit, not same serial # but I expected that.

Not saying that this is not possible, but I don't recall too many reports of the returning unit not being the one you send in... interesting.

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #847 of 2777 Old 12-12-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Not saying that this is not possible, but I don't recall too many reports of the returning unit not being the one you send in... interesting.

1st time I saw this as well......


Ed
old corps is offline  
post #848 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
sremick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sad to say, add me to this list. TX-NR616 bought last May. Lost audio a couple nights ago, but a bunch of power-cycles later it came back. Speakers popped and crackled a bit but a couple more power cycles and it was fine. Meant to look into it online the next day (yesterday) but didn't have time. Got home last night, went to watch TV again... no audio. And no number of power-cycles restored it (probably pushing 100). Did research online and quickly came across this sticky.

I'm glad they know the problem and are fixing it for free without me even having to pay shipping. But really, really sucks to be without music, TV, or movie entertainment this time of year. There's zero chance I'll have this back working by xmas judging by others' timelines.

First world problems, I know. But still... has me and the household bummed.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
sremick is offline  
post #849 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post
Sad to say, add me to this list. TX-NR616 bought last May. Lost audio a couple nights ago, but a bunch of power-cycles later it came back. Speakers popped and crackled a bit but a couple more power cycles and it was fine. Meant to look into it online the next day (yesterday) but didn't have time. Got home last night, went to watch TV again... no audio. And no number of power-cycles restored it (probably pushing 100). Did research online and quickly came across this sticky.

I'm glad they know the problem and are fixing it for free without me even having to pay shipping. But really, really sucks to be without music, TV, or movie entertainment this time of year. There's zero chance I'll have this back working by xmas judging by others' timelines.

First world problems, I know. But still... has me and the household bummed.

Curious what the build date is on your AVR, with a May purchase date, obviously well ahead of that. I wonder what to total number of Onkyo AVR's out there is that are affected, it has to be an incredible number!


If you were close by I would lend you one of my spare units until yours come back, maybe time for a pre-Christmas upgrade to a Dolby Atmos enabled unit?
htpcforever likes this.

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #850 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I had a 707 with audio fail just out of warranty, decided to give Onkyo another chance and get a 709, surely they had fixed the problem by now, well my 709 failed a few days ago and I swore I would never buy another Onkyo product again! I found out about the fix at no charge and, well, maybe I will consider another purchase. They have agreed to repair both units.
walk1 is offline  
post #851 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk1 View Post
I had a 707 with audio fail just out of warranty, decided to give Onkyo another chance and get a 709, surely they had fixed the problem by now, well my 709 failed a few days ago and I swore I would never buy another Onkyo product again! I found out about the fix at no charge and, well, maybe I will consider another purchase. They have agreed to repair both units.

Welcome to the AVS Forum!


Yes, unfortunately both of those units would have been manufactured with the defective DSP chips from TI, and would have eventually failed. Good news they are going to fix you up!

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #852 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 AM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I just want to remind everyone that this failure is the fault of Texas Instruments, not Onkyo. TI is a well respected company, so if they sell you a chip that meets your specs you would not be wrong to believe them. QA testing would not find the problem since it takes a bit of time for the chip to fail. I am just glad Onkyo is stepping up to fix them. My guess on why it took so long is because they needed to both prove what the problem was AND then get TI to agree to at least partially fund the repairs. Legal departments can ensure even the most obviously right thing to do can take forever before it is agreed to.
Al Sherwood and Boodaddy like this.
htpcforever is offline  
post #853 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I just want to remind everyone that this failure is the fault of Texas Instruments, not Onkyo. TI is a well respected company, so if they sell you a chip that meets your specs you would not be wrong to believe them. QA testing would not find the problem since it takes a bit of time for the chip to fail. I am just glad Onkyo is stepping up to fix them. My guess on why it took so long is because they needed to both prove what the problem was AND then get TI to agree to at least partially fund the repairs. Legal departments can ensure even the most obviously right thing to do can take forever before it is agreed to.
Don't believe for a minute that there is no culpability on Onkyo's part...They were the ones that were denying all the repairs, and made excuses for years, in lieu of actually compiling/looking for the causal relationship to the failures. Let's not forget that this has been going on for over six years. That is not TI dropping the ball, for the whole time. Admittedly, the first two years would have went by with randomly failing units. But, by the third year, they would have had all the information they needed for the failure rate, and been on the road for a repair solution, were it not for their "support" executives burying their head in the sand, and collectively saying: "It won't happen to this year's line..."

For everyone that has been saying that "we see more failure complaints here, because we are an enthusiast's site"...I can finally prove my premise (for years) that statement is incorrect, clearly evidenced by the number of new members that have found this thread, after their failure, and doing an online search.

Onkyo is the manufacturer, they must show some responsibility to their consumer base by being a positive source for customer complaints, and owning up to their issue. Too many in the CE industry as a whole are turning their backs on the people that fund their business. Either by churning out new features and "apps" that they think we want (without testing), or relying solely upon the consumer to become their R&D department. It should be a crime.

And I say again, that I truly believe this extended warranty would not even be in place, if one of Onkyo's lawyers hadn't pointed out that they could, in fact be in a class-action situation.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40


Last edited by kevin g.; 12-13-2014 at 12:07 PM.
kevin g. is offline  
post #854 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42 2 30 degs N 92 54 52 degs W
Posts: 2,481
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 166
ok just filed for repair of my 709, and awaiting the box. also my 818 is eligible as well, so far so good w/ the 818 i really like this avr. crossing fingers all goes well.
htpcforever likes this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
airgas1998 is offline  
post #855 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 01:27 PM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Don't believe for a minute that there is no culpability on Onkyo's part...They were the ones that were denying all the repairs, and made excuses for years, in lieu of actually compiling/looking for the causal relationship to the failures. Let's not forget that this has been going on for over six years. That is not TI dropping the ball, for the whole time. Admittedly, the first two years would have went by with randomly failing units. But, by the third year, they would have had all the information they needed for the failure rate, and been on the road for a repair solution, were it not for their "support" executives burying their head in the sand, and collectively saying: "It won't happen to this year's line..."

Can you show me that TI acknowledged their faulty chip years ago? If not, then you are blaming the wrong group. You need to blame the cause of the problem. I realize it is easier for you to blame Onkyo, but it is not honest to do so.

Quote:
Onkyo is the manufacturer, they must show some responsibility to their consumer base by being a positive source for customer complaints, and owning up to their issue.

The issue was caused by Texas Instruments. It is THEIR issue. You need to stop pretending Onkyo created the chip and then said it met the specs.

Quote:
And I say again, that I truly believe this extended warranty would not even be in place, if one of Onkyo's lawyers hadn't pointed out that they could, in fact be in a class-action situation.
And again you would be wrong. Which lawyer at Onkyo pointed it out? You must know which one did, since you clearly claim one of them pointed it out.
htpcforever is offline  
post #856 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Can you show me that TI acknowledged their faulty chip years ago? If not, then you are blaming the wrong group. You need to blame the cause of the problem. I realize it is easier for you to blame Onkyo, but it is not honest to do so.
Can you show me where they acknowledge it is their issue, and theirs alone...now? I am not blaming Onkyo explicitly, but I am not letting them off the hook, as you are. I stated they are culpable as well...maybe you should get a dictionary.



Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
The issue was caused by Texas Instruments. It is THEIR issue. You need to stop pretending Onkyo created the chip and then said it met the specs.
You need to stop pretending Onkyo has no blame whatsoever...have you dealt with their so called "support"? They had, and I assume now that the cat is out about the chip, have plausible deniability...that's all they wish for...


Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
And again you would be wrong. Which lawyer at Onkyo pointed it out? You must know which one did, since you clearly claim one of them pointed it out.
Maybe you should also learn to read...not infer...

Quote:
And I say again, that I truly believe this extended warranty would not even be in place, if one of Onkyo's lawyers hadn't pointed out that they could, in fact be in a class-action situation.
Maybe you work for them? As you seem to deny that it is their product/responsibility.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #857 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Newbie
 
rherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Purchased a TX-SR707 12/30/2009.
Died January 2013.
Paid shipping for one time warranty repair February 2013.
Died again last month just after I read this thread.
Onkyo sent me a box, I sent it in, received on Friday, Hooked up last night, and is working fine.
Does not seem to be as hot as before, does not click loudly when changing channels or when the show changes to a commercial.


Follow-up


It has been over a month. Unit is used every day from about 5 A.M. to 10 P.M.


Continues to work as it should. Does have the new board. The only click you can hear is when you turn it on or off.


Does run significantly cooler than before. You can place your hand on the top and not feel as though you will get burned. Before you could not keep your hand on the top.


I do not understand how replacing the HDMI board reduces heat output and I do not know if any other changes were made.


I now seem to have a ground loop problem that did not exist before - a faint hem through the earphones when listening to CDs that was not there before.


I will not bash ONKYO for this painful problem. This was a lot less of a problem than a Nisson that I used to own.
Al Sherwood and htpcforever like this.
rherd is offline  
post #858 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 03:48 PM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Can you show me where they acknowledge it is their issue, and theirs alone...now? I am not blaming Onkyo explicitly, but I am not letting them off the hook, as you are. I stated they are culpable as well...maybe you should get a dictionary.

I asked you first. You show me your proof, then you get mine. You are not letting them off the hook for believing Texas Instruments when TI claimed the chip met their requirements? Um...ok...


Quote:
You need to stop pretending Onkyo has no blame whatsoever...have you dealt with their so called "support"? They had, and I assume now that the cat is out about the chip, have plausible deniability...that's all they wish for...

I have, but that is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The people who man their support center are WAY too low on the food chain for you to blame them like you are.

Quote:
Maybe you should also learn to read...not infer...

No inference needed, you clearly wrote:
"And I say again, that I truly believe this extended warranty would not even be in place, if one of Onkyo's lawyers hadn't pointed out that they could, in fact be in a class-action situation."


What do you base this belief upon? You claim you believe one if their lawyers pointed out a class-action situation - but what is your belief based upon?

Quote:
Maybe you work for them? As you seem to deny that it is their product/responsibility.

Ah, the old "if you disagree with me you must be biased" excuse. It is just as pathetic now as when it was first used.
htpcforever is offline  
post #859 of 2777 Old 12-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,057
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 3494
suggest we move on please
old corps, azz7686 and htpcforever like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #860 of 2777 Old 12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Member
 
fcmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmatt View Post
my 707 is going in for repairs. thanks goodness. i really did not want to buy another this black friday. i expected this to last me 5 to 10 years. i will report back how it goes. I was a user that had a video problem and in the end audio too. At that point I just turned it off for a year and used the vt60s speakers. sigh!

I have my 707 back in my hands a few days ago and hooked everything back up. It is working like a champ. But lets see if it works for a few more years as I wanted in the first place.

I am happy with their actions to fix my unit. Turn around was fast.
old corps and htpcforever like this.
fcmatt is offline  
post #861 of 2777 Old 12-14-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmatt View Post
I have my 707 back in my hands a few days ago and hooked everything back up. It is working like a champ. But lets see if it works for a few more years as I wanted in the first place.

I am happy with their actions to fix my unit. Turn around was fast.



Good to hear you got your unit back fast and that it is working well.

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #862 of 2777 Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
bigchinook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 818 dropped audio and network. S/N is covered - we'll see how the repair process goes.
bigchinook is offline  
post #863 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,453
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I just want to remind everyone that this failure is the fault of Texas Instruments, not Onkyo. TI is a well respected company, so if they sell you a chip that meets your specs you would not be wrong to believe them. QA testing would not find the problem since it takes a bit of time for the chip to fail. I am just glad Onkyo is stepping up to fix them. My guess on why it took so long is because they needed to both prove what the problem was AND then get TI to agree to at least partially fund the repairs. Legal departments can ensure even the most obviously right thing to do can take forever before it is agreed to.

be that as it may
The reputation of Onkyo has fallen in recent years...not Texas Instruments


so..Onkyo could have waited it out "for the lawyers"...however they had to realize that as time went by their corporate reputation( and consumer confidence) was the one that was at stake




Warren
markrubin likes this.

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 65KS9800
turnne1 is online now  
post #864 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,627
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The TI chip is just one failure. Onkyo chose to use cheaper capacitors in the SR606 which died in the heat. Their receivers in recent years have been failing for various reasons.
scowl is offline  
post #865 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
be that as it may
The reputation of Onkyo has fallen in recent years...not Texas Instruments


so..Onkyo could have waited it out "for the lawyers"...however they had to realize that as time went by their corporate reputation( and consumer confidence) was the one that was at stake




Warren
You are correct, most people will wrongfully blame Onkyo when it was the fault of Texas Instruments. Even when presented with proof that it was the fault of TI, some people are still blaming Onkyo anyway. I suspect it is because they cannot prevent themselves from buying items with TI chips in it, and they want to cry loudly that their money will no longer be given to those whose fault it is. If they blamed the actual party at fault, they cannot pound their chest and make such a vow.
htpcforever is offline  
post #866 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 PM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
The TI chip is just one failure. Onkyo chose to use cheaper capacitors in the SR606 which died in the heat. Their receivers in recent years have been failing for various reasons.
Nope, their receivers in recent years have been failing because of this chip. Unless you are talking about the standard bathtub curve that EVERY manufacture's equipment fails in line with...then yes, various reasons. But it would be silly to single out Onkyo when ALL manufactures have that same failure profile.


As for the 2008 (2008 has not been recent for many years now...) SR606 issue, it was because the HDMI boards made by Toshiba were not able to handle the heat produced by the AVR (the caps would dry out which would, in the end, cause unstable voltage and therefor HDMI would not stay locked) . The replacement boards were made by a different company and the problem went away. When Onkyo had the failing boards repairs, they replaced the caps added others. I do not have enough info to say Toshiba made bad boards or Onkyo gave them bad specs to follow. Since you know it was Onkyo's fault, you obviously can post something showing Toshiba produced the boards to Onkyo's specs and that the specs were bad, not the boards. Make sure you provide links to this info, since I will not take you at your word.


You say the receivers have been failing for various reasons in recent years, go ahead and list all these various reasons. But please at least try to stay in THIS decade which is close to half over already) - because 2008 is not recent. I eagerly await your list of various reasons.
Al Sherwood likes this.

Last edited by htpcforever; 12-15-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
htpcforever is offline  
post #867 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,627
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Nope, their receivers in recent years have been failing because of this chip.
I guess that depends on how you define "recent years". Before your "recent years" Onkyo receivers were also failing. This does not paint a picture of a company learning from its mistakes and attempting to improve product reliability.

Quote:
You say the receivers have been failing for various reasons in recent years, go ahead and list all these various reasons. But please at least try to stay in THIS decade - because 2008 is not recent. I eagerly await your list of various reasons.
Way back in the ancient years of 2008-2009, Onkyo was repairing our receivers by replacing the capacitors which were frying. Some people successfully replaced the capacitors themselves (you can find youtube videos on how to do this). If you take a look inside an SR606, you may be surprised that a receiver from this era has no vacuum tubes and the capacitors are not made of wax paper. They look just like Onkyo's recent receivers. I don't know if they used the failing TI chip. Onkyo at first replaced the entire HDMI board but later repairs only replaced the capacitors.

With Onkyo's track record of their receivers of "recent years" I'm glad that I decided not to buy any more of their products after my SR606. You can learn something from old history. I do have a great Onkyo receiver that I bought in early 80's that still works well.
scowl is offline  
post #868 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 321
^^ I suppose that we have to accept that there will be those who are just not happy about the Onkyo situation no matter the explanation...


I thought this thread was to provide some answers about the current campaign to assist those with the HDMI issue?
htpcforever likes this.

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #869 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I guess that depends on how you define "recent years". Before your "recent years" Onkyo receivers were also failing. This does not paint a picture of a company learning from its mistakes and attempting to improve product reliability.

Way back in the ancient years of 2008-2009, Onkyo was repairing our receivers by replacing the capacitors which were frying. Some people successfully replaced the capacitors themselves (you can find youtube videos on how to do this). If you take a look inside an SR606, you may be surprised that a receiver from this era has no vacuum tubes and the capacitors are not made of wax paper. They look just like Onkyo's recent receivers. I don't know if they used the failing TI chip. Onkyo at first replaced the entire HDMI board but later repairs only replaced the capacitors.

With Onkyo's track record of their receivers of "recent years" I'm glad that I decided not to buy any more of their products after my SR606. You can learn something from old history. I do have a great Onkyo receiver that I bought in early 80's that still works well.
Did you notice you failed to support any of your claims, or did you need me to point that out to you? Either way, you are aware of it at this point.


Here is another chance to support your claims. I would like to see your information that shows Onkyo gave Toshiba bad specs (since you blame Onkyo you have to have this info, right?) and I would also like you to support your claim that "Their receivers in recent years have been failing for various reasons". You made these claims, you need to support them. You do not expect us to just accept your word as gospel, do you? That would be very foolish.

Last edited by htpcforever; 12-15-2014 at 05:19 PM.
htpcforever is offline  
post #870 of 2777 Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 PM
 
htpcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
^^ I suppose that we have to accept that there will be those who are just not happy about the Onkyo situation no matter the explanation...


I thought this thread was to provide some answers about the current campaign to assist those with the HDMI issue?
Yep, some people will allow their emotions to override all reason. They need to vent, which is normal. What is not normal is when they do not eventually let go of the pain and associated anger and move on.
Al Sherwood likes this.
htpcforever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off