Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1259Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Member
 
JustaSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Nope, my TX-NR509 (circa 2011, HDMI v1.4a was not available in 2007) not eligible. Guess I'll be searching for another brand receiver. Any suggestion for a mid-range receiver?
Did you try asking them directly? All they can do is say no. I would trust the people who automated the warranty process less than I would Onkyo support. I would contact them on the Onkyo forum or call.
ImpliedConsent and old corps like this.
JustaSheep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Newbie
 
nduarte7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted the following query on the ONKYO Support Forums and got this reply. What do you guys think - is it too risky to go for the NR636 replacement after all the issues? Their reply is standard and does not address my component (HDMI board?) change.




Replacement Offer for TX-NR 709

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm
by nduarte7
Onkyo is offering a rebate in lieu of repair for the sound issues connected with this receiver. I would like to know if the newer model (e.g., TX-NR636) has a different hardware component that is not prone to the same issues as the 709. It would be horrible to trade for a newer model with the same problems
Re: Replacement Offer for TX-NR 709

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 am
by FORUMMODERATOR3
You can be assured that the NR636 will provide reliable operation (under normal conditions), if an issue arises, Onkyo will be happy to take care of it.

-FM3
nduarte7 is offline  
post #63 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mark Hoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice, my TX-NR1007 is suffering from this AGAIN, and am getting really tired of the drop outs. At least it's listed as eligible for repair. Switching to a Pioneer VSX-1124 and once it comes in, I'll fix the Onkyo and sell it.

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
Mark Hoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3795 Post(s)
Liked: 3579
I don't have any network problems per se' I do have the occassional HDMI drop out, where I have to cycle the video modes to get it to come back. 1080p/24 to through, or source. Switch and switch back and it works again. I alos have audio and video drop outs on several different sources including PC, Roku, and PS3. Very occassionally - liek three times the screen turns to rainbow fuzz and I can't see anything until I power cycle. Are these the types of problems the 'network' chip is supposed to address? The problems are becoming increasingly more frequent with my Onkyo PR-55508 that just ran out of warranty a month ago.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #65 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
rprice54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I'll have to try my old 3007. I've been using to power some outside speakers since it died a second time.
rprice54 is offline  
post #66 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Member
 
jcab2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is a current non-Onkyo model similar (or slightly better) to TX-NR708? I've always been quite happy with the sound. Think I'll just get mine repaired and sell it. Not interested in dealing with endless repairs.
jcab2000 is offline  
post #67 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Denon 4000 - great price right now as things shift over to the new models for this year. Plus you would have XT32 and SubEq
jcab2000 likes this.
smurraybhm is offline  
post #68 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Member
 
cablebandit3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
got my 3010 back today. Seems to work perfectly once again. Ill let my friend demo the x4000 while i enjoy the 3010 for a bit...hopefully
cablebandit3 is offline  
post #69 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,064
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit3 View Post
got my 3010 back today. Seems to work perfectly once again. Ill let my friend demo the x4000 while i enjoy the 3010 for a bit...hopefully

Good news!

Slightly off topic....how would you compare the Denon to the Onkyo. I will be moving to another brand that still has XT32 for the next one and Denon is at the top of the short list.

Thanks
zeus33 is online now  
post #70 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Member
 
cablebandit3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Good news!

Slightly off topic....how would you compare the Denon to the Onkyo. I will be moving to another brand that still has XT32 for the next one and Denon is at the top of the short list.

Thanks
The onkyo has more features BUT....i only use 5.2.....sometimes i use the rear surrounds for 7.2 and I dont use other zones. For that either works fine and the Denon would be the smarter choice based on price. On movies both sound exactly the same to me and now music sounds the same as well. I would purchase based on the price vs options that you need. While my 3010 was being repaired, I didnt miss anything by using the denon x4000. I hope this helps
zeus33 likes this.
cablebandit3 is offline  
post #71 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
' I do have the occassional HDMI drop out, where I have to cycle the video modes to get it to come back. 1080p/24 to through, or source. Switch and switch back and it works again.
typically the first signs of impending failure

I have a 906 right now that does the same thing...it sits in my office and is rarely used so its somewhat of a moot point
My 5508 though
I paid Onkyo the $50 or so when I bought it to give me two additional years of warranty...for a total of 4
My plan was get rid of it before the end of the extended warranty
though I may keep it now for a while because of this warranty extension program they have

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #72 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Denon 4000 - great price right now as things shift over to the new models for this year. Plus you would have XT32 and SubEq
for the $200-250 more price difference between the 4000 and the 4520 makes the 4520 a much more attractive option IMO


Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #73 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Oh yes, I had a bunch of Onkyo receivers in the past. ...No major issues because I just knew what to do (I read AVS Forums for many many years). But my personal situation is not @ all representative of the overall picture. And it is that overall picture that you have to take a look @. I never rely on myself to make a fair assessment of the world we live in; I use common sense by contacting the most people I can, and from all over the world; not just here in my own continent, and country and town and neighborhood and home.
...So, several direct contacts (audio/video forums), readings (WWW - World Wide Web), and assessing it all together (averaging).

Onkyo has been losing money from the last few years; 2012 being their worst. ...In millions ($$$ $$$ $$$) + of dollars (Japanese dollars - Yens).

They are financially related with Gibson (guitars, and guitar picks) now. ...Investment wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post
What are your actual sources for the assertion that Onkyo is in a financial hole right now?

Everything I can find indicates 2014 to be a very good year for them historically. and that 2009 was their roughest year in the last decade.


While it doesn't compare to the huge surge they had for 2005, to say they are in "in a hole" seems to be a tad hyperbolic to say the least. Of course asserting they are in a hole is one thing, asserting it's because of perceived bad word of mouth on some internet forums is something else. Assertions presented without evidence can be rejected without evidence.


http://performance.morningstar.com/s...&culture=en-US
I had heard that Yamaha was the best performing financially of the Asian manufacturers

though the person that stated this, here on AVS, never provided their source
Pioneer had been on the fringe for years with their home A/V business
I frankly thought they would have jumped out of it completely shortly after they left the Tv business

They seem to do well on car audio...but home audio not so much


Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #74 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
shah993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....
Check the note on top of the sn space it says that the last letter should be omitted incase it has a 17 letter digit combination.It happened to me and luckily I saw that notice.Good luck.
shah993 is online now  
post #75 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Member
 
jcab2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
for the $200-250 more price difference between the 4000 and the 4520 makes the 4520 a much more attractive option IMO


Warren
Geez, I got my 708 for about $600, now we're talking $1600.
old corps likes this.
jcab2000 is offline  
post #76 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcab2000 View Post
Geez, I got my 708 for about $600, now we're talking $1600.
a different level of model....
had you bought the 3008 at the same time you would have paid about $1200

there is always a price difference in the Onkyo( lower priced) and Denon units that compete against each other


Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #77 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tallen234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, my 876 crapped the bed two week ago. Too bad it isn't covered by this bulletin....back to Denon (x4000 on its way).
Tallen234 is offline  
post #78 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
If only Onkyo had kept Audyssey, and improved upon it; with MultEQ XT64.
NorthSky is offline  
post #79 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 PM
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post
Well, my 876 crapped the bed two week ago. Too bad it isn't covered by this bulletin....back to Denon (x4000 on its way).
So you are saying you phoned Onkyo and talked to a real live person and they told you no? Because they've been accepting units out of warranty so even if you're moving to another brand you could have gotten this one fixed for free then sold it for a few hundred. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands for free, I just fixed a 906 by following the HDMI board thread here. I'm sure I could fix yours or use it for parts on my 876!
JustaSheep likes this.
audio4life is offline  
post #80 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tallen234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good point. I'll give it a shot. I usually give these types of (broken) things it to my brother in law who is pretty handy.




Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
So you are saying you phoned Onkyo and talked to a real live person and they told you no? Because they've been accepting units out of warranty so even if you're moving to another brand you could have gotten this one fixed for free then sold it for a few hundred. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands for free, I just fixed a 906 by following the HDMI board thread here. I'm sure I could fix yours or use it for parts on my 876!
Tallen234 is offline  
post #81 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Purchased my 876 in 11/2008 which is outside the time noted in this thread. No problems but I've really pampered my 876. Anyone have success in getting Onkyo to warranty a 2008 receiver for this extended warranty program?

Last edited by eaayoung; 08-26-2014 at 09:25 PM.
eaayoung is offline  
post #82 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
* Onkyo TX-NR905: 2007 model.
** Onkyo TX-NR906 & TX-SR876: 2008 models.

=> Those are before 2009, so from reading the first original post of this thread they are not included in that extended warranty, no? It's for certain models made between 2009 and 2012, no?

What about all them receivers and SSPs on eBay? ...All the broken units everywhere in dumpsters, garage sales, salvation army stores, thrift stores, etc. /// The broken 5010 you just sold to a kid for hundred bucks...
What about the thousands and thousands of broken units that nobody is aware of outside of AVS? ...People simply just don't know about this and will never get them fixed. Because they'll never read about it.
NorthSky is offline  
post #83 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
* Onkyo TX-NR905: 2007 model.
** Onkyo TX-NR906 & TX-SR876: 2008 models.

=> Those are before 2009, so from reading the first original post of this thread they are not included in that extended warranty, no? It's for certain models made between 2009 and 2012, no?

What about all them receivers and SSPs on eBay? ...All the broken units everywhere in dumpsters, garage sales, salvation army stores, thrift stores, etc. /// The broken 5010 you just sold to a kid for hundred bucks...
What about the thousands and thousands of broken units that nobody is aware of outside of AVS? ...People simply just don't know about this and will never get them fixed. Because they'll never read about it.
When your click on the link, it takes you to Onkyo website that lays our the extended warranty program. My set is out of the listed time frame by 2 months. I guess they had to cut it off some where. But the 876 is known for having HDMI board issues.
eaayoung is offline  
post #84 of 2798 Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
When your click on the link, it takes you to Onkyo website that lays our the extended warranty program. My set is out of the listed time frame by 2 months. I guess they had to cut it off some where. But the 876 is known for having HDMI board issues.
Onkyo receivers had issues from all the years starting in 2007 to 2013; that I know, so why restrict them?
All of those years Onkyo had HDMI board issues, heat issues, audio issues, front panel display issues, etc.

Anyway what counts is that the people reading this might finally get some help with their defective units.

For seven years to be an Onkyo owner meant for many to be a repairman, for others to suffer aggravation and frustration, for many to become members here @ AVS, for others to never swim those waters ever again, and for others to buy fans, to take extreme measures, to pay attention, to read carefully, to do things normal owners don't normally do.

Yeah for sure many are mainly happy with only very few minor issues; but overall the wave of disappointments is real and customer service is poor and real issues are very annoying.

So, this is better than nothing, even if it's late in the game. But there is also a valuable lesson learned here, and that, each person can assess it for himself.
NorthSky is offline  
post #85 of 2798 Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Member
 
jcab2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
a different level of model....
had you bought the 3008 at the same time you would have paid about $1200

there is always a price difference in the Onkyo( lower priced) and Denon units that compete against each other


Warren
Are you saying that my 708 which I paid $600 for sounded about as good or almost as good as a 4000 or 4520 Denon ($1300-1600) today? Would a 2000 be a huge step down? I do need some power for my Polk 70s which are (were) bi-amped.
jcab2000 is offline  
post #86 of 2798 Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
What about all them receivers and SSPs on eBay? ...All the broken units everywhere in dumpsters, garage sales, salvation army stores, thrift stores, etc. /// The broken 5010 you just sold to a kid for hundred bucks...
What about the thousands and thousands of broken units that nobody is aware of outside of AVS? ...People simply just don't know about this and will never get them fixed. Because they'll never read about it.
oh yes...LOL

like I said before.....getting rid of Audessey is definitely not their largest challenge

they have got to improve their reliability and reputation

a lot of people...in ever increasing numbers on AVS....will not touch another Onkyo product

and it has zero to do with what RC system they use

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #87 of 2798 Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcab2000 View Post
Are you saying that my 708 which I paid $600 for sounded about as good or almost as good as a 4000 or 4520 Denon ($1300-1600) today? Would a 2000 be a huge step down? I do need some power for my Polk 70s which are (were) bi-amped.
I dont know...as I never heard a Onkyo 708 or a Denon X4000

what I was saying was to compare an Onkyo unit to the 4520...it would be the 3010

Had you bought the comparable model Onkyo , to the Denon, when you bought your 708..it would have been the 3008 at about twice what you paid

How much difference is there in the 708 and 3008...you would have to be the judge of that

I will tell you that both the Onkyo 3008/3010 and Denon 4520 are all nice sounding units
A guy that bought one of my Onkyo 5009's about a year ago told me there was a definite difference to him in the sound of the 5009 and his 3008....to his ears

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #88 of 2798 Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Member
 
jcab2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I dont know...as I never heard a Onkyo 708 or a Denon X4000

what I was saying was to compare an Onkyo unit to the 4520...it would be the 3010

Had you bought the comparable model Onkyo , to the Denon, when you bought your 708..it would have been the 3008 at about twice what you paid

How much difference is there in the 708 and 3008...you would have to be the judge of that

I will tell you that both the Onkyo 3008/3010 and Denon 4520 are all nice sounding units
A guy that bought one of my Onkyo 5009's about a year ago told me there was a definite difference to him in the sound of the 5009 and his 3008....to his ears

Warren
I appreciate the reply, but it's not too helpful for me as all of those are way over my budget. I'm just curious what current Denons have similar or slightly better sound quality to the 708. I haven't heard a 3008 or 5009, not at my house on my speakers anyway.
jcab2000 is offline  
post #89 of 2798 Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,507
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcab2000 View Post
I appreciate the reply, but it's not too helpful for me as all of those are way over my budget. I'm just curious what current Denons have similar or slightly better sound quality to the 708. I haven't heard a 3008 or 5009, not at my house on my speakers anyway.
based on what I see the closest thing to an Onkyo 708 would be an X3000


Warren
jcab2000 likes this.

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
turnne1 is online now  
post #90 of 2798 Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Member
 
jcab2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
based on what I see the closest thing to an Onkyo 708 would be an X3000


Warren
Thanks, that looks more like it. I'll probably wait for it to go on clearance like the 2000 did (hopefully).
jcab2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off