Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1265Likes

post #1381 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
traditionally they wont give that information to a consumer

They would ask you to take it ( or ship it) to an authorized repair center and have them give you an estimate

after they charge you a "check out" fee of course

You might be able to call a Onkyo repair shop( from their website) and ask them about cost and availability of an HDMI board for your model

I know the board for the 805 AVR is not available anymore...so I would assume a much smaller volume model of the same year would be in a similar situation

Warren
Yah.. makes sense. I called Adams in CA and they said the same to me. $90 to examine (and this amount can be applied to actual repair) but I am betting an arm & leg for the actual if they even have the part at all. It looks like I will likely just use my workaround until I can rationalize a new SSP. Thanks Warren ( my name is Warren too ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have heard that as well and am very curious about Dirac

Warren

Warren, I have mini DSP DDRC 88A in between my Onkyo and Amps. It made a night & day difference in my set up. Well worth checking out. Sorry to go OT.
post #1383 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Which Oppo BR model player are you using? ...Because some of those Oppo BR players, including the 103 and 105 ("D" included) have a clipping bass issue from their multichannel analog out. They are best used from their digital HDMI connections. ...No bass clipping issue there.

As for cost of repair; very expensive...it's not worth it. ...Best is to get a new SSP; from Marantz, Yamaha, Anthem, or Classe or Bryston or Krell, for example.
I have the older 93. Am I affected? I use external Darbee 5000. I did a quick test last night using the MC analog out and nothing jumped out at me in a bad way.

I am waiting to see how DTS X shakes out as well as wait for more content to exist before I take the plunge on new SSP. I bought my Onkyo 885 for $12xx back in Oct 2007. The new SSPs are so much more expensive than that ! I don't want to risk new SSP being obsolete TOO quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack724 View Post
Warren, I have mini DSP DDRC 88A in between my Onkyo and Amps. It made a night & day difference in my set up. Well worth checking out. Sorry to go OT.
very interesting
I was just reading that thread today to try to gather information to help me evaluate my next move

Quote:
I have the older 93. Am I affected? I use external Darbee 5000. I did a quick test last night using the MC analog out and nothing jumped out at me in a bad way.

I am waiting to see how DTS X shakes out as well as wait for more content to exist before I take the plunge on new SSP. I bought my Onkyo 885 for $12xx back in Oct 2007. The new SSPs are so much more expensive than that ! I don't want to risk new SSP being obsolete TOO quickly.
you can buy a Marantz 8801 today for about what you paid for your 885 years ago

btw..I used to have an 885 as well( before the 5508)

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #1385 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Smile

Quote:
Hi Warren,

I am not 100% certain but I believe so. It does affect the 105, the 103 and also the 83.
I think the issue is overloaded (clipping) bass to the subwoofer when re-directing the bass from all speakers (Small setting) in addition to the LFE channel content.
So, it's a bass management issue from the multichannel analog output and that is clipping the audio signal out to the subwoofer.
- If setting all your speakers to Large, this should resolve the issue, I think.

* Some info here:

- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32362625
- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32403002 ... Same question you just asked.
- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32434138
- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32463514

Quote:
Like Warren just said above; the Marantz AV8801 and also the AV7702 pre/pros have very decent street prices...only few hundreds more than what you paid back then (2007) for your Onkyo PR-SC885 pre/pro.

Cheers,
Bob
post #1386 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
very interesting
I was just reading that thread today to try to gather information to help me evaluate my next move

you can buy a Marantz 8801 today for about what you paid for your 885 years ago

btw..I used to have an 885 as well( before the 5508)

Warren
Thanks. You probably already saw this but just in case, the DDRC-88a thread has useful info on the first five posts. Post # 4 has subjective impressions including mine. I don't have "golden ears" but I even I can tell just how much of a difference it has made. YMMV of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Hi Warren,

I am not 100% certain but I believe so. It does affect the 105, the 103 and also the 83.
I think the issue is overloaded (clipping) bass to the subwoofer when re-directing the bass from all speakers (Small setting) in addition to the LFE channel content.
So, it's a bass management issue from the multichannel analog output and that is clipping the audio signal out to the subwoofer.
- If setting all your speakers to Large, this should resolve the issue, I think.

* Some info here:

- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32362625
- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32403002 ... Same question you just asked.
- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32434138
- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32463514

Like Warren just said above; the Marantz AV8801 and also the AV7702 pre/pros have very decent street prices...only few hundreds more than what you paid back then (2007) for your Onkyo PR-SC885 pre/pro.

Cheers,
Bob
Thanks for the suggestions. Even ~$1.5K is a lot of money to me at this juncture just to get a stop gap SSP. I'll check out the links later. If the Oppo 93 is affected as well, I will see if I can live with it until I take the plunge on the next upgrade. In my case, I am also using a custom programmed URC remote from my installer that would also require reprogramming with a new SSP and therefore additional cost ( I have two young kids, so nowadays I tend to pay the premium for turn key vs DIY .
post #1387 of 2833 Old 05-10-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Even ~$1.5K is a lot of money to me at this juncture just to get a stop gap SSP. .
you should be able to get the 8801 for less than $1500..

also A4L has the Integra 80.3( refurbished with a 2 year warranty) for like $1100 shipped

** Edit...I just noticed the price of the Integra 80.3 has dropped to $999**

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D

Last edited by turnne1; 05-11-2015 at 11:02 AM.
post #1388 of 2833 Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just to chime in as someone who sent in their 818 under this repair several months ago and it's been working perfect since then. Now...let's hope I didn't just jinx myself!
htpcforever likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1389 of 2833 Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Just to chime in as someone who sent in their 818 under this repair several months ago and it's been working perfect since then. Now...let's hope I didn't just jinx myself!

I can understand the initial failure of this part in question, but this fix should be the last required (for this problem), otherwise even the most ardent Onkyo fans will left without an excuse...
htpcforever likes this.

Al
post #1390 of 2833 Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
818 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pathfinder View Post
You are not alone my 818 started doing the same thing about 3 weeks ago, sent it in just as you and received it back yesterday...it still does the same thing sometimes when its turned on no audio comes out when it does this it always goes to all channel stereo, turning it off and back one brings audio and the Dolby D EX encoding. I really don't want to have to remove it and send it in again. What concerns me is my 709 did this as well and then one day nothing I did could get audio. I am so frustrated with Onkyo I think its time to make the switch to Yamaha which really pisses me off that I have to buy a new receiver. What good is their repair campaign when it doesn't fix the issue, and why the hell did they have to default the receiver to replace the HDMI board.
Quick update, I contacted the guy that fixed my 709 and told him of my problems with the "repaired" 818 he said try another full default before sending it back in...I reluctantly did so this past weekend and amazingly enough it has been working perfectly. So apparently the default is a necessary part of the process...My fingers are crossed that I will have no more issues. If I do I plan to send it in again then immediately sell it and move on to a 1040 Yamaha. I like my 818 so I truly hope to have no more problems.
post #1391 of 2833 Old 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Finally got time to get my 818 unpacked and set up after a rough weekend of installing laminate flooring in my kitchen. Everything seems to be working, with the exception of a glitch in the component switching to HDMI. I am getting a double image. I think I have seen it before, but can't remember how I fixed it.

They also put a fine scratch in the faceplate of my otherwise pristine receiver. I'm a bit bummed, and have contacted them...but I really don't think I'll send it back in...too much risk involved. Hopefully they will offer me something else in lieu of another repair.

Anybody remember how to add sources to "My Favorites"? It's been so long since I had originally set mine up, that I'm drawing a blank.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1392 of 2833 Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Finally got time to get my 818 unpacked and set up after a rough weekend of installing laminate flooring in my kitchen. Everything seems to be working, with the exception of a glitch in the component switching to HDMI. I am getting a double image. I think I have seen it before, but can't remember how I fixed it.

They also put a fine scratch in the faceplate of my otherwise pristine receiver. I'm a bit bummed, and have contacted them...but I really don't think I'll send it back in...too much risk involved. Hopefully they will offer me something else in lieu of another repair.

Anybody remember how to add sources to "My Favorites"? It's been so long since I had originally set mine up, that I'm drawing a blank.
The easiest way to add the favorites and program the user/pass for services such as Pandora is through the web page, just type in the IP address of your 818.
post #1393 of 2833 Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The easiest way to add the favorites and program the user/pass for services such as Pandora is through the web page, just type in the IP address of your 818.
Yeah, I can add custom url's via the web interface, and have...but how do I add local network locations to My Favorites? I used to have a bunch of stuff in that section, and I thought I had local network files linked there as well. I did add my Sirius channels back in, and a radio station from my home state...Will need to get the manual out again, I guess.

post #1394 of 2833 Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well my Jan 2011-bought Onkyo RC270 finally gave out - exhibiting no sound (except passthrough) & firmware/network options grayed out issue. Will be contacting Onkyo soon.
post #1395 of 2833 Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TX-NR809 here. Had network issues with the unit since ~2012, but lived with it. I checked the Onkyo site about a year ago and found that my unit was eligible for the repair and then promptly forgot about it (life's funny huh?)

On a whim, I went ahead and submitted the repair order on 4/29. This is the funny part... got home that night and my wife tells me that there has been no sound all day. Sure enough, silence...

I'll give Onkyo credit. The return box showed up two days later and I shipped the unit out on Saturday 5/2. Got a little nervous when the Onkyo status never updated, but the unit showed back up this Monday, 5/11.

So far, so good. The mobile app and net sources have never worked this well and the unit has been solid otherwise.

Thanks Onkyo! You saved me from the upgrade bug for another year or so
Starman_Jack likes this.
post #1396 of 2833 Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Received my 3008 back from repair on Tuesday. Turn around time was really quick, I shipped on Wednesday or Thursday, and the first (unexpected) delivery attempt was on Monday. Unfortunately, my receiver was damaged in return shipping. See the link below for images of the carnage. I tried calling Onkyo support tonight, but hung up after waiting 35 minutes on hold just to have somebody answer my call. I also sent them a message ("e-mail") using the webform on the support page detailing the situation.

Not for the faint of heart

Despite their instructions to use additional packing materials (which I did), there was no additional packing beyond the Styrofoam bumpers to protect the unit in return shipping. Hopefully the shipment was insured. Anybody have any idea on what kind of remedy I might see or should push for? Pretty unhappy with this situation. I have a coworker who also purchased and 3008 and had to send it back multiple times just to get a working unit. Unfortunately, that seems to be a common issue here as well.

I should have spent the extra two hundred dollars and got the Denon 4311ci that I really wanted.

Last edited by mesasone; 05-14-2015 at 07:34 PM.
post #1397 of 2833 Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post
Received my 3008 back from repair on Tuesday. Turn around time was really quick, I shipped on Wednesday or Thursday, and the first (unexpected) delivery attempt was on Monday. Unfortunately, my receiver was damaged in return shipping. See the link below for images of the carnage. I tried calling Onkyo support tonight, but hung up after waiting 35 minutes on hold just to have somebody answer my call. I also sent them a message ("e-mail") using the webform on the support page detailing the situation.

Despite their instructions to use additional packing materials (which I did), there was no additional packing beyond the Styrofoam bumpers to protect the unit in return shipping. Hopefully the shipment was insured. Anybody have any idea on what kind of remedy I might see or should push for? Pretty unhappy with this situation. I have a coworker who also purchased and 3008 and had to send it back multiple times just to get a working unit. Unfortunately, that seems to be a common issue here as well.

I should have spent the extra two hundred dollars and got the Denon 4311ci that I really wanted.
Shipping company will likely be responsible for the damage. Hopefully the damage can be repaired. If not, you'll probably be paid the value of the unit at today's prices.
post #1398 of 2833 Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM

Very unfortunate; but you should be fully compensated as the above poster just said.
post #1399 of 2833 Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Hopefully the damage can be repaired.

Looks like it is isolated to just the top cover. Easy repair with a replacement cover.
post #1400 of 2833 Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Looks like it is isolated to just the top cover. Easy repair with a replacement cover.
That was a severe shock, and I am certain that some parts inside are cracked or damaged. /// This is asking for trouble, just like a car that has been in an accident and was repaired...you never know what will happen in the future...it would need an extensive professional analysis of all functions, and even then you cannot predict time failures.

If it was my unit, I would ask for a full new replacement, not a top cover replacement, no way Jose.
post #1401 of 2833 Old 05-15-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutki View Post
Actually, I know a bit more about the situation. But, based on how often people get "jumped" around here, I totally know what you mean. I was trying to communicate just enough info. to inform others while dodging the trolls.

Good thing that this isn't a Denon or Marantz product. Onkyo really doesn't have much of a passionate, loyal fanbase - for obvious reasons. They hook you with the bells & whistles, and then you get to deal with broken AVRs and (usually) piss poor customer service.

Funny how people on the Denon/Marantz/DM Holdings threads almost never have similar complaints about their gear. If they do, it seems like they get taken care of in a professional & timely manner. It's apparent that dealers also have a lot more leeway in what they can do for their customers. I have yet to meet an Onkyo dealer that stands by the brand - again, I completely understand. Perhaps the Integra experience is better?

If this was a Denon/Marantz product,
This is just weird considering that all of these brands are Japanese
post #1402 of 2833 Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Quick update, I contacted the guy that fixed my 709 and told him of my problems with the "repaired" 818 he said try another full default before sending it back in...I reluctantly did so this past weekend and amazingly enough it has been working perfectly. So apparently the default is a necessary part of the process...My fingers are crossed that I will have no more issues. If I do I plan to send it in again then immediately sell it and move on to a 1040 Yamaha. I like my 818 so I truly hope to have no more problems.
I recommend everyone do that when they get their unit back, before they do anything else. It is easy, it is free, and it fixes some issues. If you do not have any issues, it breaks nothing, if you do, you fixed them without having the pain of enduring them first.
post #1403 of 2833 Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....
if there is a letter at the end of of the serial number leave it off
post #1404 of 2833 Old 05-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

good reason to keep the original box
post #1405 of 2833 Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post
good reason to keep the original box

+1!

My basement is full of all the original boxes, some even have the equipment in them!

Al
post #1406 of 2833 Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
+1!

My basement is full of all the original boxes, some even have the equipment in them!
Me two/too! I still have the 818 box but since they shipped me one to use I used it. Now I have TWO for the 818! One OEM - the other for repair.
kevin g. likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1407 of 2833 Old 05-19-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Me two/too! I still have the 818 box but since they shipped me one to use I used it. Now I have TWO for the 818! One OEM - the other for repair.

same...

post #1408 of 2833 Old 05-19-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

When I first shipped my 609 back in Jan-Feb and it arrived damaged to Onkyo's facility. I never asked for pictures, but from the CS's description, my 609 was worse. Damage to both the front face plate and rear. Onkyo took responsibility and repaired it, as I was assured the insides where OK. They gave me a choice...refurb or repair. I went with repair. No issues since.
post #1409 of 2833 Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have owned the Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp since March 2012. The unit has performed perfectly in an open cabinet, with plenty of air circulation and I even added a fan that sits on top of the unit which blows air away from the top. The unit is always cool to the touch.

On Saturday, upon turning the unit on, I noticed it was taking longer than usual for audio/video to display on the screen. I kept seeing the unit's display showing "HDMI STAR UP" and it remained this way for about 9-12 seconds before it displays proper audio & video. After this long "boot up", let's call it that for now, everything works perfectly as usual.

Now, I have read enough to know that this may be a inevitable HDMI board failure, that has plagued many Onkyo/Integra units and owners here on AVS.
I do not want to do a factory reset (PITA) having to recalibrate set up everything again. Unless, someone knows if it is possible to save the settings, do the factory reset, and then re-apply the saved settings. Can someone confirm this??

I just wanted your thoughts on how to proceed, should I get a repair/work order started with Integra in case the unit finally dies or should I wait and try the reset first.

Thanks

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
post #1410 of 2833 Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post
I have owned the Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp since March 2012. The unit has performed perfectly in an open cabinet, with plenty of air circulation and I even added a fan that sits on top of the unit which blows air away from the top. The unit is always cool to the touch.

On Saturday, upon turning the unit on, I noticed it was taking longer than usual for audio/video to display on the screen. I kept seeing the unit's display showing "HDMI STAR UP" and it remained this way for about 9-12 seconds before it displays proper audio & video. After this long "boot up", let's call it that for now, everything works perfectly as usual.

Now, I have read enough to know that this may be a inevitable HDMI board failure, that has plagued many Onkyo/Integra units and owners here on AVS.
I do not want to do a factory reset (PITA) having to recalibrate set up everything again. Unless, someone knows if it is possible to save the settings, do the factory reset, and then re-apply the saved settings. Can someone confirm this??

I just wanted your thoughts on how to proceed, should I get a repair/work order started with Integra in case the unit finally dies or should I wait and try the reset first.

Thanks

Personally if it were me I would go to the first post in this thread, follow the link, enter the serial number of your unit, if it qualifies for the HDMI board replacement I send it in!

No point in waiting or doing resets if the board has the old DSP chip.
htpcforever likes this.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page