Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1264Likes

post #1411 of 2827 Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thanks Al, makes perfect sense.....however, I did just that, before typing my post and it appears that my unit is NOT eligible under this "Customer Care Program". When I type my serial number I get a message------> "This Serial/Unit does not need this update".
Now I have since called Integra and they will let me know if I qualify. I am waiting on my (E.W.A.N #) extended warranty something or other I can't recall.

PS I see you are in BC. I am here in Toronto.

They better allow this repair or I am going to loose it!!! LOL

Thanks

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 2827 Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post
Thanks Al, makes perfect sense.....however, I did just that, before typing my post and it appears that my unit is NOT eligible under this "Customer Care Program". When I type my serial number I get a message------> "This Serial/Unit does not need this update".
Now I have since called Integra and they will let me know if I qualify. I am waiting on my (E.W.A.N #) extended warranty something or other I can't recall.

PS I see you are in BC. I am here in Toronto.

They better allow this repair or I am going to loose it!!! LOL

Thanks

Paul (?), you guys must be thawed out by now! ;-)

It is interesting that it is not covered, unless it uses a different chipset (which is possible) the newer version of the DSP chip was not available to manufacturers until later in 2013. If you get back on the phone, I would ask about this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-30_1611_TI_DSP_chip_revision_dates.png
Views:	115
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	727450  

Al
post #1413 of 2827 Old 05-20-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Paul (?), you guys must be thawed out by now! ;-)

It is interesting that it is not covered, unless it uses a different chipset (which is possible) the newer version of the DSP chip was not available to manufacturers until later in 2013. If you get back on the phone, I would ask about this...
Thanks Al, I will ask about this......I am going to try a FW update first (I know that the last one to be released I did not install) to see if that fixes things, if not this will be going in for repairs.

PS. Bloody cold here today 6 celcius in the morning only 15 in the afternoon....this past Saturday we had 32 celcius, go figure!! LOL

Paul

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 2827 Old 05-20-2015, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nearly a week later, and still no response from Onkyo on my damaged receiver. Sigh.
post #1415 of 2827 Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post
Nearly a week later, and still no response from Onkyo on my damaged receiver. Sigh.
Curious, but wouldn't the carrier be the one that is responsible for the shipping damage?

Al
post #1416 of 2827 Old 05-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Curious, but wouldn't the carrier be the one that is responsible for the shipping damage?
Perhaps, but I am waiting to see how Onkyo wants to proceed before I do anything. I am worried that the insured value will be low and inadequate to replace my receiver given the pittance they were offering through the "Special Service Program"
post #1417 of 2827 Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post
Perhaps, but I am waiting to see how Onkyo wants to proceed before I do anything. I am worried that the insured value will be low and inadequate to replace my receiver given the pittance they were offering through the "Special Service Program"
Ahhhh, I see and it makes sense. I always say the best warranty (or insurance) is the one you never have to take advantage of...

Good luck!
htpcforever likes this.

Al
post #1418 of 2827 Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
This is just weird considering that all of these brands are Japanese
What's weird about it? Or were you just ruminating?
IMO, the "only" commonality I can see between the two brands is that they are HQ'd in the same country.
In every other way, they are different regarding staff, corporate culture, dealer network support, warranty policies, etc.

So far, again IMO, it "appears" that D&M products have significantly fewer Q/C issues and, by and large, treat their dealers and customers better.

Some folks would state that in far more emphatic terms - I'm just trying to be diplomatic so i don't piss off the handful of remaining Onkyo fanbois on this forum - LOL.

For the rest of us - the ship has sailed.
kevin g. likes this.
post #1419 of 2827 Old 05-23-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Repaired unit has failed

My repaired 609 worked fine for about four months. It suddenly stopped passing through any HDMI signal. No audio or video. Called Onkyo and they are sending another box. If they are replacing the HDMI board, how could the new board fail so quickly?
In the meantime, I bought a new Yamaha RS V677. When I get the Onkyo back I plan to hook it up to make sure it works then sell it. I am done with Onkyo. With all the issues makes me wonder why anyone would buy a new one.
azz7686 likes this.
post #1420 of 2827 Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxmike View Post
My repaired 609 worked fine for about four months. It suddenly stopped passing through any HDMI signal. No audio or video. Called Onkyo and they are sending another box. If they are replacing the HDMI board, how could the new board fail so quickly?
In the meantime, I bought a new Yamaha RS V677. When I get the Onkyo back I plan to hook it up to make sure it works then sell it. I am done with Onkyo. With all the issues makes me wonder why anyone would buy a new one.

This news does not inspire any confidence as I just had my 609 (RT990) done in January. I have been experiencing some issues while using vTuner as the sound would stop and then restart. All other HDMI board functions are working fine.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1421 of 2827 Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My son-in-law and I are both in the market for new hi end (well, he mid hi) receivers. I have an TX-SR875 that has the no video pass through on hdmi issue now on all hdmi ports. I see it listed as an option and then it tells me no, so sorry, denied. So I call Onkyo and they say no such issue exists and that he's been at Onkyo for years and years and has never heard of an "HDMI issue" and that the customer care thing is for an audio issue only. I point out, the no video is listed as a checkmark and he says yeah, but he doesn't know why they put that there. It's not covered. I point out how the internet and forums are filled with complaints of this issue and he denies such a reality exists. Then says there's no supervisor to talk to, won't take my number for a callback and all but says **** off, I'm in the middle of my Netflix show.

I hate you Onkyo. Literally HATE. Don't expect anything but disdain from my like forever.
kevin g. likes this.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #1422 of 2827 Old 05-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post
My son-in-law and I are both in the market for new hi end (well, he mid hi) receivers. I have an TX-SR875 that has the no video pass through on hdmi issue now on all hdmi ports. I see it listed as an option and then it tells me no, so sorry, denied. So I call Onkyo and they say no such issue exists and that he's been at Onkyo for years and years and has never heard of an "HDMI issue" and that the customer care thing is for an audio issue only. I point out, the no video is listed as a checkmark and he says yeah, but he doesn't know why they put that there. It's not covered. I point out how the internet and forums are filled with complaints of this issue and he denies such a reality exists. Then says there's no supervisor to talk to, won't take my number for a callback and all but says **** off, I'm in the middle of my Netflix show.

I hate you Onkyo. Literally HATE. Don't expect anything but disdain from my like forever.
That BS as we all know. They probably wouldn't done much anyway it they allow you to purchase a new unit. Search this forum for replacing the caps on the board if you're up to the the challenge. Lots of people have had success replacing the caps. Should be around 10 on the 875.
post #1423 of 2827 Old 05-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

Here is a thought - if he says it only covers audio, follow the first link again except say you have no audio this time. Tell us if it says you are covered or not. If not, that means your unit does not have the faulty chip and, obviously, it is not covered by a program to replace the faulty chip you do not have.
post #1424 of 2827 Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutki View Post
What's weird about it? Or were you just ruminating?
IMO, the "only" commonality I can see between the two brands is that they are HQ'd in the same country.
In every other way, they are different regarding staff, corporate culture, dealer network support, warranty policies, etc.

So far, again IMO, it "appears" that D&M products have significantly fewer Q/C issues and, by and large, treat their dealers and customers better.

Some folks would state that in far more emphatic terms - I'm just trying to be diplomatic so i don't piss off the handful of remaining Onkyo fanbois on this forum - LOL.

For the rest of us - the ship has sailed.
I had a Denon die of HDMI death a few months out of warranty and Denon told me I would have to pay several hundred dollars to have it fixed. I suppose this means I should be a Denon hater, like everyone who has had an Onkyo failure that Onkyo does not fix for free turns into an Onkyo hater, right? That is stupid, no one should hate any company, that is simply a foolish waste of energy and life.

Life is too short to hate a company Simply move on and life your life. Why spend time hating something that not only does not know you hate it, but cannot be emotionally or physically harmed even if it did know? None of the workers at the company know a small minority of people hate the company nor would they care if they did know. Any more than you care if some people you do not know hate the company you work for.

Pragmatism is what matters and hate prevents intelligent thought and therefor pragmatism. Everyone who hates any company needs to just let it go.
natchie likes this.
post #1425 of 2827 Old 05-27-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I had a Denon die of HDMI death a few months out of warranty and Denon told me I would have to pay several hundred dollars to have it fixed. I suppose this means I should be a Denon hater, like everyone who has had an Onkyo failure that Onkyo does not fix for free turns into an Onkyo hater, right? That is stupid, no one should hate any company, that is simply a foolish waste of energy and life.

Life is too short to hate a company Simply move on and life your life. Why spend time hating something that not only does not know you hate it, but cannot be emotionally or physically harmed even if it did know? None of the workers at the company know a small minority of people hate the company nor would they care if they did know. Any more than you care if some people you do not know hate the company you work for.

Pragmatism is what matters and hate prevents intelligent thought and therefor pragmatism. Everyone who hates any company needs to just let it go.
Sigh - I probably shouldn't even bother, but where did I state that I hate Onkyo?
My observations and comments simply reflect what has been stated by many other members all throughout this thread. Just look at the title of this thread: BINGO!

I do have an opinion about the matter as do most other posters. I hope that it's OK with you that I, and many others, don't/can't move on when so much $$ is at stake. It's not like Onkyo handed us these units for free.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. I don't care. And, it's not like multiple hardware failures on a bevy of Onkyo units across multiple generations is going to change the mind of any remaining Onkyo fanboys.

I hope that you can handle that reality, in a pragmatic manner of course.
kevin g. and azz7686 like this.
post #1426 of 2827 Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Sigh - I probably shouldn't even bother, but where did I state that I hate Onkyo?
My observations and comments simply reflect what has been stated by many other members all throughout this thread. Just look at the title of this thread: BINGO!

I do have an opinion about the matter as do most other posters. I hope that it's OK with you that I, and many others, don't/can't move on when so much $$ is at stake. It's not like Onkyo handed us these units for free.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. I don't care. And, it's not like multiple hardware failures on a bevy of Onkyo units across multiple generations is going to change the mind of any remaining Onkyo fanboys.

You're right, that it seems a waste of your time to try to show him that your opinion matters, as well as @shpankey's. If he decides that he "hates" them, then it's his right to do so.

The fact is, it isn't the product, per se, but it is the attitude that Onkyo applies in their dealings with the consumer. That's the largest/most frustrating part of the equation. No, I mean, ABSOLUTELY NO... Onkyo employee that is dealing with the populace in this matter should be denying, or feigning surprise at the fallout as a result of the failures in their product. THAT is the fault of support management. The arrogance on their part will be their undoing. Eventually this recall, and their inept handling of their consumer base will cause them major harm.

Hate is a pretty strong word. But the fact is: some people deserve it, and have it coming to them. If there is no conscience, no thought of what they have done, nor any remorse, then they will draw the ire/hatred of some.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1427 of 2827 Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I sent my Tx-NR515 in today. Hopefully all goes well and it comes back working great.

My onkyo has no audio and the network functions are borked.
htpcforever likes this.

post #1428 of 2827 Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
You're right, that it seems a waste of your time to try to show him that your opinion matters, as well as @shpankey's. If he decides that he "hates" them, then it's his right to do so.

The fact is, it isn't the product, per se, but it is the attitude that Onkyo applies in their dealings with the consumer. That's the largest/most frustrating part of the equation. No, I mean, ABSOLUTELY NO... Onkyo employee that is dealing with the populace in this matter should be denying, or feigning surprise at the fallout as a result of the failures in their product. THAT is the fault of support management. The arrogance on their part will be their undoing. Eventually this recall, and their inept handling of their consumer base will cause them major harm.

Hate is a pretty strong word. But the fact is: some people deserve it, and have it coming to them. If there is no conscience, no thought of what they have done, nor any remorse, then they will draw the ire/hatred of some.
What other vendors have offered to repair out of warranty products for years after the warranty ends? Just curious, since doing such is considered to be bad attitude. Doing the right thing is apparently the wrong thing in the eyes of many. You do know you don't have to have your Onkyo (if covered by the recall of the bad chip Texas Instruments made) repaired for free, right? It is also quite telling that no one is hateful of Texas Instruments...odd...the failure of the recent crop of Onkyos is due to them selling a chip that cannot handle the specs they were given. Hate is not logical, though, so it is to be expected.

I am not an Onkyo fanboi by any means - I have only ever owned one of them. I have owned one Denon, one Pioneer, and Kenwood, and one Sony. But hey, if saying "hate is stupid" means I am magically a fanboi of product XYZ, then I must be a fanboi of every product ever created. My next AVR will most likely be a Denon since I find great value in Audyssey. But buying a Denon most likely also makes me an Onkyo fanboi, righ?
post #1429 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So glad I found out this Is a wide issue!

My 1010 has no audio and network functions.

Just submitted the Info, and awaiting the Fed Ex box from Onkyo.
htpcforever likes this.

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
post #1430 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I am lucky as my Onkyo 3009 has not displayed any issues. I have had it almost 3 years and pretty well continuous use......I have it on the top shelf (open air) of my system stand. I hope it does not fail...............sounds great still. Tried several other units in its place lately to check for differences......my old Denon AVR-3808 (7 years old..still works great), a Yamaha RX-A1030, and a Marantz 7008. They are all no match for the quality and features of the 3009........I own all of them except the Marantz which I took back.....weak sound quality.......to soft......sound was not powerful like the others. The Onkyo and Denon sound far more forceful.......to me.

If my Onkyo fails......I hope Onkyo will fix it and I will appreciate the fact that they will fix it.........as long as I get the new TI chip and it is not failing.........like the old chips. I am wondering why people are getting failures again.....maybe their repair did not include the new TI chip??
post #1431 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:

and what verifiable data are you using to make those extensive assumptions pray tell?

I would tell you having owner several units of both brands....I have failures from both brands
the 4308 was bought back by Denon...the 4310 was about the most overpriced( based on its performance) unit I have ever purchased. I sold it on Ebay less than 60 days after I bought it
The 4520 was in the shop 45 days after I bought it and has had to be reset a few times
The Marantz 8801..knock on wood...has been trouble free
As for the Onkyos...875( fixed under warranty)..905( replaced under warranty with a brand new 5009)...5508( replaced under warranty with a brand new 5509) all did all have issues

Yamaha and Pioneer Elite( in my ownership experience) have been more reliable than Denon or Onkyo products

but..I am curious where the information is that you based your statements on in regard to D&M vs Onkyo?

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #1432 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
and what verifiable data are you using to make those extensive assumptions pray tell?

I would tell you having owner several units of both brands....I have failures from both brands
the 4308 was bought back by Denon...the 4310 was about the most overpriced( based on its performance) unit I have ever purchased. I sold it on Ebay less than 60 days after I bought it
The 4520 was in the shop 45 days after I bought it and has had to be reset a few times
The Marantz 8801..knock on wood...has been trouble free
As for the Onkyos...875( fixed under warranty)..905( replaced under warranty with a brand new 5009)...5508( replaced under warranty with a brand new 5509) all did all have issues

Yamaha and Pioneer Elite( in my ownership experience) have been more reliable than Denon or Onkyo products

but..I am curious where the information is that you based your statements on in regard to D&M vs Onkyo?

Warren
What is it about "IMO" that you don't understand?
Here's another one for you: YMMV.
Evidently, I didn't put enough qualifiers in for some people.
post #1433 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
What other vendors have offered to repair out of warranty products for years after the warranty ends? Just curious, since doing such is considered to be bad attitude. Doing the right thing is apparently the wrong thing in the eyes of many. You do know you don't have to have your Onkyo (if covered by the recall of the bad chip Texas Instruments made) repaired for free, right? It is also quite telling that no one is hateful of Texas Instruments...odd...the failure of the recent crop of Onkyos is due to them selling a chip that cannot handle the specs they were given. Hate is not logical, though, so it is to be expected.

I am not an Onkyo fanboi by any means - I have only ever owned one of them. I have owned one Denon, one Pioneer, and Kenwood, and one Sony. But hey, if saying "hate is stupid" means I am magically a fanboi of product XYZ, then I must be a fanboi of every product ever created. My next AVR will most likely be a Denon since I find great value in Audyssey. But buying a Denon most likely also makes me an Onkyo fanboi, righ?
I've been advised that Onkyo eventually did the "right thing" because they had to.
Every state has an AG office - including New Jersey.
Where is all this Onkyo "hate" that the defenders (including some who have no skin in the game) are spewing about?
Frank commentary/criticism is not hate, last time I checked.
I just see posters attempting to hold a company responsible for faulty units (and looking out for each other).
No more - no less.
post #1434 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is it about "IMO" that you don't understand?
Here's another one for you: YMMV.
Evidently, I didn't put enough qualifiers in for some people.
LOL

wow... comments about reliability...dealer service...customer service...and several other "reaches"

I thought I might have been reading some credible information

I stand corrected...

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #1435 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been advised that Onkyo eventually did the "right thing" because they had to.
Every state has an AG office - including New Jersey.
Where is all this Onkyo "hate" that the defenders (including some who have no skin in the game) are spewing about?
Frank commentary/criticism is not hate, last time I checked.
I just see posters attempting to hold a company responsible for faulty units (and looking out for each other).
No more - no less.
..LOL

..So now you have been advised..

so does that mean the information is any more relevant( and verifiable) than the statements you made that were just your opinion( along with a huge heaping of speculation)?

Warren

Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #1436 of 2827 Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is a thought - if he says it only covers audio, follow the first link again except say you have no audio this time. Tell us if it says you are covered or not. If not, that means your unit does not have the faulty chip and, obviously, it is not covered by a program to replace the faulty chip you do not have.
not going to work
875 models are too old anyway
I seriously doubt the board is still available...as I understand the one for the 805 is not
those models are now 8 model years old

Quote:

Well...hate is strong word

But no one wants to walk into a situation where they know a unit WILL fail
I always advised people to buy Onkyo AND to get the extended warranty
I have been very fortunate in that I have had multiple warranty repairs and three units replaced

if you want more rock solid reliability buy a Yamaha

D&M does not have solid reliability either

Warren

Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #1437 of 2827 Old 06-01-2015, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
if you want more rock solid reliability buy a Yamaha
Or not... A $4k msrp Yamaha RXZ9, is the only avr out of the many other various brands and models that I have owned over the years, that I ever had a failure problem with! So even Yamaha is not immune to having problems.
post #1438 of 2827 Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Or not... A $4k msrp Yamaha RXZ9, is the only avr out of the many other various brands and models that I have owned over the years, that I ever had a failure problem with! So even Yamaha is not immune to having problems.
I am not sure the MSRP has anything to do with what it actually sold for/street price or the reliability
that being said...I have owned at least 5-8 examples of all the major Asian brands in the last 10 years
Several with MSRP's over $2500....if that makes any difference...though I didnt pay anywhere even close to that
I wont go through the list as it its pretty extensive..unless you want to know all the models and data spelled out?

Anyway...as I said before Yamaha and Pioneer Elite have spanked Onkyo and Denon all day long on reliability
Replaced units and buybacks..multiple times with Onkyo and Denon
One lone issue with a Yamaha...a Z7 with HDMI board issues and one Pioneer elite..SC25 with a subwoofer preout that had a loose connection

Warren

Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #1439 of 2827 Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

I don't think "doing the right thing" is on their list. (this is all my opinion, so please don't ask me to "prove it" again...) I think they are a large corporation, that got caught. (finally) I think, as mutki stated and I have said many times in the past...they were on the verge of a major class-action law suit, and this was their decision to avoid that. I don't think you can go years and years with the same major failure without someone investigating. And the old excuse that we see more complaints here because we are enthusiasts, does not apply, as evidenced by the recall. They knew/know there was a problem. they were playing the odds by offering the one-time out of warranty repair...thinking it would "get them by"...and it didn't work. I have seen too much corruption in business today to believe otherwise. Money is the motivation, not helping out the customer. You may have an optimistic outlook, and that's great...but as I tell my wife...I am a realist.

As far as TI is concerned...TI didn't tell me my network setup was the problem in playing my files. TI didn't tell me that I must not have allowed enough air circulation around my 807. (and conveniently tell me that they would "do me a favor" and take care of it one time...out of warranty) TI didn't deny over and over that there was any kind issue out there with their product, when they have clearly been fending off calls day and night. TI didn't say that forum posts about their product "do not matter", or that they have no bearing on any issues that have surfaced with their product.

I also have to ask how you think you know that the chip was not up to the specs that Onkyo provided? What makes you think that Onkyo would tell the truth about that? Do you not think it's possible that the specs were incorrect? Maybe it was Onkyo that went "cheap" and asked TI to design something less expensive for their product. Maybe TI is just the scapegoat, maybe they agreed to be the scapegoat, if Onkyo continued to purchase their chips...

@shpankey and myself (along with many others) have been put on the offensive because of Onkyo's plausible deniability stance. Their "support techs" are rude, abrasive, and uncaring. They, unfortunately, have not been the first, nor will they be the last large corporation to act this way. But they are the one we are discussing. To falsely believe that they are warranting the product out of the "goodness of their heart"...is pretty naive'.

What about all those out there that fell for Onkyo's denial, and paid for their own repair, and were so put out, they sold the product, and never looked back? Those people are out the original cash and the monies they shelled out for the repair. If Onkyo were such a magnanimous "giving" company...I think they would offer to pay those poor souls back. That doesn't appear to be part of this amazingly generous warranty offer.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1440 of 2827 Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 70
For those that are wondering about 'longer term repairs' - I sent my 818 one back several months ago for the repair and it's been working great ever since!
htpcforever likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page