Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1263Likes

post #1471 of 2819 Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Just entered the serial number for a PR SC5508 with the symptoms described in the Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program and am told, "This serial/unit does not need this upgrade." HUH?

Anyone else seen this?
I have 2 systems
the newer cheaper one has a slight hdmi glitch, connection loss, then goes right back.
s/n said not at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
I was able to track when they got my unit. Then no information- it just showed up a week later. (818 was the unit that was repaired).
I shipped mine back east to them from CALIF.
shipped 9th, got there 15th
received 23rd
8 days including 2 weeked days on return.
all works so far
I had 3 problems
1-hdmi switching went out, so last year I just used rca for sound
2-then I got static in sound,
3- turned unit off/on to see if sound woud clear up, NO SOUND AT ALL,lol
so I went google to see a fix, came across this post.

thx guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 2819 Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
I was able to track when they got my unit. Then no information- it just showed up a week later. (818 was the unit that was repaired).
Ditto. Took a week after it was repaired.
post #1473 of 2819 Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM

Liked: 12
Got mine back within 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 2819 Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got my 818 back, had a problem where the network apps wouldn't show up on screen, but after powering off they come back. Hopefully just a software glitch.
post #1475 of 2819 Old 07-10-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound issue with an Onkyo TX-NR609

Hello,
I had the sound issue with my Onkyo TX-NR609 2 years ago and had it fixed in Brazil, where I am currently living.
I am now facing the following issue, which started on the last weeks: when I turn on the receiver, no sound can be heard. If I turn it off and on again, it works perfectly.
Can it be a software glitch or would it be a hardware fault again? As I live in Brazil, it is very hard to have it shipped back to the US to be fixed. Any hints on that, please?
Thanks a lot.
post #1476 of 2819 Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by gume View Post
Hello,
I had the sound issue with my Onkyo TX-NR609 2 years ago and had it fixed in Brazil, where I am currently living.
I am now facing the following issue, which started on the last weeks: when I turn on the receiver, no sound can be heard. If I turn it off and on again, it works perfectly.
Can it be a software glitch or would it be a hardware fault again? As I live in Brazil, it is very hard to have it shipped back to the US to be fixed. Any hints on that, please?
Thanks a lot.
Definitely not software its the surface mount chip when it heats up and cools it pulls away from board and not all contacts are aligned to work and flipping it on and off will work for now but it will become non-responsive to this then you will have to open up the receiver and heat up the chip before turning on which will be a pain in the ***, there is a lot of different ideas people came up with to remedy this issue on youtube some of them are creative and amusing just do a search and you will see so I would try to get it back here to get it serviced if possible. Good luck I went thru this with my 709 almost threw it out it did end up in the corner of the garage for a couple months until I ran across this thread and now its premaritally out there for network radio use cause I gave up on it before I got to this point and got a new receiver but it does work now with free fix and as long as it does it will stay in the garage cause I have no use for Onkyo in the house anymore!!!
kevin g. and gume like this.

Spoiler!
post #1477 of 2819 Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Just got my Onkyo TX-NR609 back today (total time from submitting the request for a mailing box to getting my receiver back was about 3 weeks). So far, everything is working as it should. I did notice that it appears that they installed an internal fan to the unit, which I don't remember being there prior to the repairs.
post #1478 of 2819 Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 PM

I have a NR626 that I got refurbed off woot. It has recently started losing sound intermittently. Is this the same problem?
post #1479 of 2819 Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhidpa View Post
i have a nr626 that i got refurbed off woot. It has recently started losing sound intermittently. Is this the same problem?
yes!!!

Spoiler!
post #1480 of 2819 Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Thanks, now off to check my S/N for eligibility.
post #1481 of 2819 Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Only had one what I thought would be a decent upper middle Onkyo 5.1 AVR briefly that model sounded good in the demo rack . I brought one home new in the box from Circuit City it was DOA I took it back the same day .

I haven't considered anthing Onkyo since . I exchanged it and put a little more money down for a Sony STR-DA5400ES ES no problems so far .but I had an older Sony *( not ES) AVR that failed out of it's warranty so nothing is immune .

Since Onkyo is merging with Pioneer or what ever they are doing maybe they can both benifit .OTOH I would think Onyko has more to gain in product quality and innovation with that partnership not a bad thing . It's good they are owning the problem discused here.
azz7686 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-13-2015 at 11:33 PM.
post #1482 of 2819 Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
[QUOTE=tubetwister;35739058]
Since Onkyo is merging with Pioneer or what ever they are doing maybe they can both benifit .
...[QUOTE]

Each have their own experiences... the worst failures and attempts at warranty fixes I have had (with about a dozen receivers) was with Pioneer Elite. The best warranty coverage has been this Onkyo fix.
post #1483 of 2819 Old 07-15-2015, 02:34 PM

Location: Berzerkeley, CA, US, NA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way
Just dropped off the repackaged TX-NR1008 last night at a FedEx pack 'n ship store...

I've been very happy with it in general, but had two problems with the receiver. The intermittent inability to connect to network media sources, while other devices in the house even using the same Ethernet cable could, seems to clearly fall under the special repair program.

Second problem only showed up when I purchased a powered subwoofer - I get a steady high-pitched tone on the sub, no matter what I did in connecting it. Tried a different powered sub, same tone. Everything powered through the same Monster PowerCenter widget, off a dedicated and grounded circuit. (Yes I believe I tried different outlets for the sub.) Figured I'll see what happens...
post #1484 of 2819 Old 07-18-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I had my TX-NR818 repaired through this warranty extension a month or two ago, and after about 3 weeks round trip to the repair facility, the receiver came back working fine. In the last couple of days, it started flaking out again, first taking longer to get to tune to any source, then when switching sources, I started seeing a message saying "HDMI start up" and the receiver seemed to get stuck on that message. A power cycle solved the issue for a day or so. And now, all video output is lost. My TV shows that it's not receiving any video signal. Switching cables and HDMI input ports on the receiver doesn't help. Now power cycling does not help anymore.

Anybody having similar issues? Wonder if I can get a second repair through the warranty extension?
post #1485 of 2819 Old 07-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

I would give it a try and see, does the chip inside have the NEW sticker on it if so this is the fix and why would it fail so soon not encouraging if it is the new chipset!!!

Spoiler!
post #1486 of 2819 Old 07-18-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
I would give it a try and see, does the chip inside have the NEW sticker on it if so this is the fix and why would it fail so soon not encouraging if it is the new chipset!!!
This receiver went through the repair already under the special repair program, so I'd assume they would have fixed/replaced the problematic component(s). I went back to the repair portal and entered my receiver's serial number and chose that I was having video problems on the HDMI ports. I got the message that my issues are not covered under the special repair program. I need to contact regular Onkyo service, I guess.
post #1487 of 2819 Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Great thread.

My NR818 had been having some intermittent sound problems, but last night it died completely. No sound from any of the HDMI inputs. Now it won't even play the calibration test tone. Plugged in the serial number and was elated to see that it is eligible.

So, to those who have gone through this process, what is the average time frame to get the receiver back from Onkyo?

Last edited by LowBudget5.1; 07-19-2015 at 07:46 AM.
post #1488 of 2819 Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post
Great thread.

My NR818 had been having some intermittent sound problems, but last night it died completely. No sound from any of the HDMI inputs. Now it won't even play the calibration test tone. Plugged in the serial number and was elated to see that it is eligible.

So, to those who have gone through this process, what is the average time frame to get the receiver back from Onkyo?
Depending upon location it is usually 5 days shipping each way and 1 or 2 days for the repair.
LowBudget5.1 likes this.
post #1489 of 2819 Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Just entered the serial number for a PR SC5508 with the symptoms described in the Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program and am told, "This serial/unit does not need this upgrade." HUH?

Anyone else seen this?
Update.....I'm stupid. After I called Onkyo, then entered the S/N CORRECTLY, my unit came up as needing the fix. Within a day or two, Onkyo sent me a box to ship it to them. It was repaired and shipped back within a day of them receiving it. In spite of the return shipment being delayed over the July 4th holiday weekend, the whole process took lees than two weeks.

In my case, I bought the 5508 on Ebay, had a bad HDMI board....Seller refunded part of the price and Onkyo fixed it for free. Got a great deal on a very nice unit. I've noticed the prices of the Onkyo units falling a lot because of this issue, but some really good deals can be had...also because of it. Onkyo IS standing behind their gear, and has stated that they will until 2018. I wound up with a 5508 for around $200 all-in.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1490 of 2819 Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello again guy/gals!
I am a lurker on this site. I read a lot, but rarely post. This is one of those times I need to post...

My story and question:

I have owned Onkyo receivers for many years. So when we built our new home in 2011, I bought a NR818 after reading all the glowing reviews on this site. I was not disappointed! Amazing sound, lots of features, and so many things plugged into it my poor wife gets confused! There have never any signs of what this thread is about.

Now... I work as a designer/installer of process control electronics for the asphalt/aggregate industry, so when I installed the new audio system, I used Transtector Surge protectors on all the audio equipment throughout the house. These are point of use protectors. I use them in the industrial world I deal with, so I know they work well. So from December 2011 to July 2015 the receiver has worked flawlessly. At least up until.... THE STORM!

We had a severe lightning storm come through our area at 3:00AM in early July. I have NEVER in my 54 years seen lightning as rapid and as intense as what came out of this storm. Winds clocked at over 65 mph, and we later found out that 2.7" of rain fell out of this one storm. You could not talk for the thunder, and knowing that water was going to blow in around the kitchen door, I started to get up to get a towel. That was when "The Big Bang" occurred! A strike hit about 50 feet from the rear of the house and it's hard to describe what happened in the next few seconds. Sparks flew from every outlet, wall switch, and light fixture on that end of the house. The alarm system (which was not even armed at the time as we had guests that smoked and would go outside to do it) goes off with it's 110 dB alarm. Both dogs start barking like crazy and of course the wife and one of the guest start screaming. The wife thinks a tornado has hit and she and the other screaming guest, take off with the dogs to the storm room in the basement. Power of course is out so I grab a flash light and start checking for a fire. We have a log home so I am a bit concerned seeing as how sparks flew from everywhere. A few minutes of checking and thankfully, no fire but a very strong odor of electronics that have fried. Power came back on about 20 minutes later and I started taking inventory of what got fried.

55" Sony TV : Bad HDMI port
32" Sony TV : Totally dead
Sony Blue-Ray: Totally dead
Phone System: Totally dead
All Direct TV components (DVR and two tuner boxes) : Totally dead
Two Ethernet switches : Totally dead
Radio Dog Fence: Completely EXPLODED (found out that the strike came in through the ground rod for this system and got into the house wiring)
4 outlets, three wall switches and one fan controller
Two of the three Transtector devices : Totally dead
TX-NR818 : Totally dead...

From industrial experience, I know that NOTHING will protect electronics from a direct strike. My company has tried them all, so I was not expecting ANYTHING to have survived. The fact that I only lost three of eight devices that were protected by these surge protector was pure luck. The alarm BTW still works even though the strike confused it enough for it to go off when not armed!

So I can live without the HDMI port on the 55", I repaired the 32" TV by replacing the power supply and the video boards. Got these off E-Bay cheap, I simply replaced the Blue-Ray player, Direct TV replaced all of their stuff no charge (even got the updated DVR!), The phone company had to replace the underground phone cable, I replaced both the Ethernet switches, and Radio Systems replaced the dog fence as it was under warranty! (I did buy from them a LIFETIME Guaranteed surge protector). Two of the three Transtector Surge Protectors were completely fried. One of them was replaced free as it was under warranty, the other I had to replace.

So what about the 818? I tried everything to bring it back to life including taking the cover off and checking for blown fuses(nope), loose/fried cables(nope), and burned circuit board traces. Nothing! I left it unplugged for 24 hours and tried it again... and nothing, so... I called Onkyo. They said it needed to go to their repair center in New Jersey. So I called them and they said box it up and ship it on my dime. It's on the way, will be delivered today actually.

My question and back on topic for this thread: If they have to replace the HDMI board in the receiver as part of the repairs, will it get the HDMI board with the updated chip, or will they gamble that I will not have the HDMI problem before 2018 and put one of the older boards in? Should I call All Tech Electronics and ask for the updated board? I would hate to get the receiver back only to have this issue pop up and have to send it back again...

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by Coolerman; 07-21-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #1491 of 2819 Old 07-21-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
^^ if the HDMI board in your model is at fault and contains the old Q3001 chip it is doubtful they would replace it with another old chip... probably can't even buy them anymore!

Al
post #1492 of 2819 Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks Al, That's exactly what I was hoping. They received the receiver yesterday (7/21/15). I just hope they don't call me with the news it can't be repaired, or it would cost more to repair than it's currently worth.
post #1493 of 2819 Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
Thanks Al, That's exactly what I was hoping. They received the receiver yesterday (7/21/15). I just hope they don't call me with the news it can't be repaired, or it would cost more to repair than it's currently worth.
Let's hope they can get it fixed and back to you soon, I had my 3007 repaired (bummer that it needed to be, but let's stay out of that can) and this AVR is running quite nicely now, and helping me stave off the purchase of a new AVR until my HT room is ready and some of the new sound formats have become more readily available on disc. I am heading toward an Atmos setup...

Al
post #1494 of 2819 Old 07-24-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Coolerman,

I am curious, why you did not turn this in to your policy? With all the components listed, and the evident "shock" (sorry) to your home's electrical system, I would, at the very least get my insurance company involved.

I can understand if it is a deductible issue, but the claim does not have to be paid out, just made, in case of future issues with the home's electrical systems. As well as future problems with devices that have electric motors. (Refrigerator's, Freezers, HVAC units, etc...)

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1495 of 2819 Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had to-NR808 in to be serviced about a year ago because I lost sound. Got it back and it still didn't work then took it back in and it worked sorta. Randomly it would shut off in the middle of a movie. A few nights ago I think I made the correlation of why it's shutting off. Everytime my self powered sub would kick in during an explosion scene it would just go "click" and die. Then I turned my sub down and it seemed to be ok, but then all of the sudden a scene got real intense and then I saw a flash of light from inside the body of it, followed by lots of smoke. Tried to turn it back on and she flared again with lots of smoke. Now I'm thinking she just toast.

Now I'm thinking I'm just out of luck on it and going to start hunting for a new one. Anyone have any advice?
post #1496 of 2819 Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
I had my TX-NR818 repaired through this warranty extension a month or two ago, and after about 3 weeks round trip to the repair facility, the receiver came back working fine. In the last couple of days, it started flaking out again, first taking longer to get to tune to any source, then when switching sources, I started seeing a message saying "HDMI start up" and the receiver seemed to get stuck on that message. A power cycle solved the issue for a day or so. And now, all video output is lost. My TV shows that it's not receiving any video signal. Switching cables and HDMI input ports on the receiver doesn't help. Now power cycling does not help anymore.

Anybody having similar issues? Wonder if I can get a second repair through the warranty extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
This receiver went through the repair already under the special repair program, so I'd assume they would have fixed/replaced the problematic component(s). I went back to the repair portal and entered my receiver's serial number and chose that I was having video problems on the HDMI ports. I got the message that my issues are not covered under the special repair program. I need to contact regular Onkyo service, I guess.
Wow. Doesn't the repair carry an extension of the warranty? What did Onkyo finally do for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfantana View Post
I had to-NR808 in to be serviced about a year ago because I lost sound. Got it back and it still didn't work then took it back in and it worked sorta. Randomly it would shut off in the middle of a movie. A few nights ago I think I made the correlation of why it's shutting off. Everytime my self powered sub would kick in during an explosion scene it would just go "click" and die. Then I turned my sub down and it seemed to be ok, but then all of the sudden a scene got real intense and then I saw a flash of light from inside the body of it, followed by lots of smoke. Tried to turn it back on and she flared again with lots of smoke. Now I'm thinking she just toast.

Now I'm thinking I'm just out of luck on it and going to start hunting for a new one. Anyone have any advice?
"Releasing the magic smoke" from electronics components is not good. NEVER reapply power afterwards, it will never work.

Sounds obliterated. My advice would be off topic and probably objectionable to Onkyo owners....

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1497 of 2819 Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got mine back in one week. Didnt cost me a dollar. Onkyo earned my respect. Model HT-RC180

Daniel
post #1498 of 2819 Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfantana View Post

I would call in to Onkyo and ask...

Al
post #1499 of 2819 Old 07-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
I would call in to Onkyo and ask...
+1

post #1500 of 2819 Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volt2amp View Post
I got mine back in one week. Didnt cost me a dollar. Onkyo earned my respect. Model HT-RC180

Daniel
I agree. Onkyo didn't have to do this, and/or could have been more demanding or restrictive. I was NOT the original purchaser, but I simply gave them the Serial number and my shipping info. They sent me a box and returned my repaired unit with no hassles.

I remember a customer service study we commissioned years ago that measured customer sat by 'how likely would you purchase again?' If there were no issues, the percentage was around 78%. If there was an issue that was resolved poorly or not at all, the percentage was in the 20% range. If there was an issue and it was handled well, the re-purchase percentage was near 90%...higher than if no issues. Our focus group explanation was that people expect problems, especially in technology products, and will forgive them, to a point. Problems are kind of inevitable....but if the 'inevitable' happens and the company responds quickly and positively, customers are more comfortable that the same response will happen in the future, and are more likely to re-buy.

Kudos to Onkyo for a good response to the problems that IMO fall under the "s**t happens" category. They could have been much more restrictive and difficult, but standing behind their gear no matter who or how it was originally purchased through 2018 seems to me to be more than fair.
Al Sherwood, cdelena and volt2amp like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page