Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1262Likes

post #1501 of 2815 Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
I agree. Onkyo didn't have to do this, and/or could have been more demanding or restrictive. I was NOT the original purchaser, but I simply gave them the Serial number and my shipping info. They sent me a box and returned my repaired unit with no hassles.

I remember a customer service study we commissioned years ago that measured customer sat by 'how likely would you purchase again?' If there were no issues, the percentage was around 78%. If there was an issue that was resolved poorly or not at all, the percentage was in the 20% range. If there was an issue and it was handled well, the re-purchase percentage was near 90%...higher than if no issues. Our focus group explanation was that people expect problems, especially in technology products, and will forgive them, to a point. Problems are kind of inevitable....but if the 'inevitable' happens and the company responds quickly and positively, customers are more comfortable that the same response will happen in the future, and are more likely to re-buy.

Kudos to Onkyo for a good response to the problems that IMO fall under the "s**t happens" category. They could have been much more restrictive and difficult, but standing behind their gear no matter who or how it was originally purchased through 2018 seems to me to be more than fair.

I hit the "Like" button, but that was not enough IMHO, I too believe Onkyo has stepped up well!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2815 Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
I hit the "Like" button, but that was not enough IMHO, I too believe Onkyo has stepped up well!
Thanks Al.

I've been in this game for a LONG time and had experiences with many, many tech devices with issues. Sony's 9000ES series amps and pre/pros with the 'bad resistor' issue, the first-ever BD player (I forget the mfgr.) that had a software defect that softened the picture, Emotiva's UMC-1 issues, Vizio's PDP50 power supply failures, and on and on. None of these folks were as responsive or liberal in their reaction to their issues as Onkyo has been here. Requiring a purchase receipt would not have been unreasonable here, but Onkyo did not. Good on them....

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1503 of 2815 Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree with all the positive comments here. I went through this process fairly recently for my TX-NR709. The process was extremely painless. I was shocked about the half roll of packing tape included in the return box package. The quickness of the return process and fix really surprised me. And the unit is working flawlessly again so far. My unit lasted 3 years te first time. If it lasts that long again I will be very happy.

Everybody sings the praises of Denon around this forum. I have two of them. In the past 6 months my AVR-3311 stopped sending any signals from the HDMI inputs. Did the reset procedures and whatnot. That until is not 2year and 9 months old. Called Denon and after some trouble shooting was basically told "too bad so sad". "We can give you a 10% discount on a new AVR, or you can send the 3311 back for repairs at your expense".

Main System: Denon AVR-4300h, LG OLED65C7, Oppo UDP-203, PS3 and PS4pro, Sonos Connect, Nvidia Shield tv (2017), Ascend RAAL Towers, RAAL Horizon Center, Sierra 2's (surround), 2 Rythmik F15's
2 other systems: 1 Onkyo, 1 Denon, Paradigm Studio V1 and V2 speakers, Panasonic Plasmas, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 2815 Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My receiver is a bit of an oddball it's an HT-R580 and it has the HDMI problem. When I plug my serial number into the website it tells me I do not qualify. Should I call them instead? Or should I just try to repair on my own or Craigslist the thing? I've had it for 5 years and it's been great until randomly crapping out Saturday.
post #1505 of 2815 Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the warranty on the product must operate without discrimination

By May 2011 the company TECH& HOUSE was authorizedONKYO brand inthe Republic of Panama dealer.At the time I bought them ONKYO equalizerthrough them. By differences of opinion in selling policies usedby the sales department ONKYO,the company stopped distributing the brand. Now I findmyself handicapped by problems unrelatedto me, since you are not extending the guarantee or solving the problem of manufacturing quality that has my equalizer because TECH & HOUSE is notmore your dealer.

ONKYO needto be responsible for the arrangement and guarantee my equalizerbecause the factory defaults and I'm a bonafide purchaser.

I await your comments.
post #1506 of 2815 Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 AM

the warranty on the product must operate without discrimination.

By May 2011 the company TECH& HOUSE was authorizedONKYO brand inthe Republic of Panama dealer.At the time I bought them ONKYO equalizerthrough them. By differences of opinion in selling policies usedby the sales department ONKYO,the company stopped distributing the brand. Now I findmyself handicapped by problems unrelatedto me, since you are not extending the guarantee or solving the problem of manufacturing quality that has my equalizer because TECH & HOUSE is notmore your dealer.

ONKYO needto be responsible for the arrangement and guarantee my equalizerbecause the factory defaults and I'm a bonafide purchaser.

I await your comments.
post #1507 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Hi Hugo.

Onkyo may monitor this forum, but they certainly don't respond to all (or most) of the posts. I believe you were targeting your message at them (Onkyo). Us regular forum members cannot really impact your situation.

My advise: call them.

I wouldn't bother with their online forum either. You'll just get some canned answer which, at best, will tell you to call them. If you have a unique situation, you should call and explain.

IMHO, and I certainly don't speak for Onkyo, if you purchased from a truly authorized dealer then you are fine (for covered issues). Onkyo almost certainly doesn't require the dealer you purchased from must remain authorized forever... Now, if they never were authorized in the first place (or mislead you), that's another problem. Hopefully that's not the case.
Al Sherwood and ChromeJob like this.
post #1508 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Impressed

Well, I shipped my 818 on the 23rd and it was delivered to me yesterday. A one week turnaround and it is fixed. So glad I ran across this thread.

You don't need to remove the cover to see the 'new' sticker on the replacement board. It's plainly visible through the vent holes.

Status Modification Complete, Shipped to Customer
Return Box Tracking 643009873xxx
Return Box Ship Date 07/20/15
Incoming Unit Tracking 96220131400
Incoming Unit Receive Date 07/27/15
Repaired Unit Tracking 636619433xxx
Repaired Unit Ship Date 07/28/15

Last edited by LowBudget5.1; 07-31-2015 at 12:22 PM.
post #1509 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post
Well, I shipped my 818 on the 23rd and it was delivered to me yesterday. A one week turnaround and it is fixed. So glad I ran across this thread.

You don't need to remove the cover to see the 'new' sticker on the replacement board. It's plainly visible through the vent holes.

Status Modification Complete, Shipped to Customer
Return Box Tracking 643009873xxx
Return Box Ship Date 07/20/15
Incoming Unit Tracking 96220131400
Incoming Unit Receive Date 07/27/15
Repaired Unit Tracking 636619433xxx
Repaired Unit Ship Date 07/28/15
Awesome!

Al
post #1510 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 276
That is great! What do you do while its getting repaired? Just do without? That would be a nightmare..
azz7686 likes this.
post #1511 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Onkyo sales in Panama are managed by Onkyo USA based in New Jersey.
18 Parkway, Upper Saddle River, N.J 07458, USA
Phone
+1-201-785-2600

U better contact them directly to find out who handles their warranty repairs in Panama.

Just my $0.02...
post #1512 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
That is great! What do you do while its getting repaired? Just do without? That would be a nightmare..

Come on guys, it was only a week and it is summer!
azz7686 likes this.

Al
post #1513 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Taking my receiver away would be like not having internet to me.. Sigh
post #1514 of 2815 Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Taking my receiver away would be like not having internet to me.. Sigh
Some of us actually remember when the world went 'round without internet, or cell phones, or faxes....we did this thing called, "Having a face-to-face conversation" to communicate.

It's like Skype, except with better picture and sound quality....

old corps and azz7686 like this.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1515 of 2815 Old 08-02-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Some of us actually remember when the world went 'round without internet, or cell phones, or faxes....we did this thing called, "Having a face-to-face conversation" to communicate.

It's like Skype, except with better picture and sound quality....

I grew up without any of those things either, but I much prefer them. And while they are here, I'm going to use them. And thank you for the history lesson..
post #1516 of 2815 Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Upon replacement of the HDMI board which is being replaced to cover the Onkyo Loss of Audio/No Network Connection, your receiver did not pass quality control. Upon further evaluation, technician determined there are additional repairs needed. To have this unit repaired the cost would be $75.00.

The technician has stated your unit is showing power cycling issues. He states fuses are needed to be replaced.

So I sent back the receiver because of the HDMI issue and got this response back. I'm guessing the fuses are simple fuses but has anyone done the replacement? If it's a fuse blowing it could also be an underlying issue.
post #1517 of 2815 Old 08-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Location: Berzerkeley, CA, US, NA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way
Following up: Dropped my 1008 off with Fedex around 8PM on July 14th; Fedex had it back on July 29th. Took a few days before I could pick it up from them, and a few more before I could undertake tearing down and rebuilding the A/V stack.

Sounds good - the noise that made powered subs useless is gone, and I'm happily streaming Pandora and somaFM stations. Peering in the slots on the top I can't see any stickers on what I assume is the HDMI board, sitting horizontally across the back of the unit. But like I say, it's connecting so I'm happy.

I did notice there's a small (8cm? Nidec "Beta SL") fan mounted in the bottom of the unit, front right corner as you face it. If it was there before, I never noticed it. And no components are mounted above it, so I guess it's just for general air circulation. I haven't caught it spinning yet, so no idea on how noisy it is or isn't, or how much air it would move.
post #1518 of 2815 Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Another happy Onkyo owner, sort of. Found out about the extended coverage on their forum, checked my TX-NR515's serial it qualified, contacted them , sent unit back, returned quickly. Reconnected it to my system. Everything worked for a day, but now it is turning my TV completely off after about an hour, no matter what I'm playing thru it. It isn't the TV since I pulled the 515, plugged in my other AVR Pio 1120X, and TV stays on.Contacted them again thru the forum, told me I still have 90 days to have a "rework" done, called support, they are sending me a shipping tag to get it back to them. While I am bummed at this 2nd delay, I'm happy that Onkyo stepped up to help make it right. Kudos to them & this will definitely point me towards Onkyo for my next purchase.
post #1519 of 2815 Old 08-08-2015, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Another happy Onkyo owner, sort of. Found out about the extended coverage on their forum, checked my TX-NR515's serial it qualified, contacted them , sent unit back, returned quickly. Reconnected it to my system. Everything worked for a day, but now it is turning my TV completely off after about an hour, no matter what I'm playing thru it. It isn't the TV since I pulled the 515, plugged in my other AVR Pio 1120X, and TV stays on.Contacted them again thru the forum, told me I still have 90 days to have a "rework" done, called support, they are sending me a shipping tag to get it back to them. While I am bummed at this 2nd delay, I'm happy that Onkyo stepped up to help make it right. Kudos to them & this will definitely point me towards Onkyo for my next purchase.
How long did it take for the repair/shipping box to arrive? I ordered min on August 1. As of the 7th, not here yet.
post #1520 of 2815 Old 08-08-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider518 View Post
How long did it take for the repair/shipping box to arrive? I ordered min on August 1. As of the 7th, not here yet.
Seems like it took about a week. If you got their email, there is an RMA number in it, give them a call to get status.
1-201-785-2600, option 4
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1521 of 2815 Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Can I ask if this "Failed unit repair program" for Onkyo receivers who qualify, does this repair program also apply to Canadians who have one of the affected units or does it only apply to those who live in the United States with affected units?

Thanks
post #1522 of 2815 Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Can I ask if this "Failed unit repair program" for Onkyo receivers who qualify, does this repair program also apply to Canadians who have one of the affected units or does it only apply to those who live in the United States with affected units?

Thanks
Pretty sure it's North America...

Edit: Yep follow the LINK
Edllguy likes this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1523 of 2815 Old 08-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Pretty sure it's North America...

Edit: Yep follow the LINK
"NOTE: This Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program is available only to residents of the US and Canada who purchased their Onkyo brand receivers from an Independant Authorized Onkyo Dealer. Customers in other countries in the Americas, please contact your country's Onkyo distributor to return your unit under this program."

Source: Onkyo USA

Thanks Kevin
post #1524 of 2815 Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Seems like it took about a week. If you got their email, there is an RMA number in it, give them a call to get status.
1-201-785-2600, option 4
Good news. The repair/shipping box arrived via Fedex yesterday. It took nine calendar days for the box to arrive, and I am quite satisfied with that. I quickly packaged up the receiver and took it to Pakmail. So far; so good. I will post again when the repaired unit is returned to me.
christoofar likes this.
post #1525 of 2815 Old 08-11-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I must say again how impressed I am with regards to Onkyo's customer support, compared to Denon's. Onkyo has always been easy to contact, provided good info whenever asked , and processed my repairs quickly. My experience w/ Denon is contacting them thru the service chat site, since their website isn't very user friendly, engaging in a convo, getting one response back to several questions I had asked, and then nothing more, even after repeated queries. So I learned what my next receiver brand will be whenever it's time to upgrade again.
Al Sherwood and Edllguy like this.
post #1526 of 2815 Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have any luck with getting an 876 repaired on the extended warranty?
post #1527 of 2815 Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After repair, failed rear HDMI in

I have a TX-NR609 that underwent repair for the loss of audio issue almost a year ago. A month or so ago input on all of my rear HDMI in ports failed to be recognized. The front Aux HDMI in port still works. When I called Onkyo the rep I spoke with said the issues are completely unrelated and I'm out of luck. He said I could call back in during the week and talk to the service techs if I wanted. My work schedule makes waiting on hold during the week for an hour nearly impossible.

Am I really out of luck or would it be worthwhile to call back?
post #1528 of 2815 Old 08-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrig View Post
Anyone have any luck with getting an 876 repaired on the extended warranty?

No unfortunately. I've heard of situations where Onkyo has offered to sell them a refurbished receiver.
post #1529 of 2815 Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
I have a TX-NR818 and it just started experiencing the no sound issue last week. Whenever I would turn my tv on and then turn on my receiver, I got no sound. I didn't hear the usual 'click' that it used to do when it was switching inputs. If I turned it off and turned it back on again a few times, then it would work. Anyway, my receiver qualified and I've already filled out the paperwork. Just waiting for the box to arrive so I can send the unit back. Hopefully it will go smoothly. If it doesn't, then I'll be looking for another unit. What a drag, but kudos to Onkyo for finally acknowledging the problem.
post #1530 of 2815 Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSooner View Post
I have a TX-NR609 that underwent repair for the loss of audio issue almost a year ago. A month or so ago input on all of my rear HDMI in ports failed to be recognized. The front Aux HDMI in port still works. When I called Onkyo the rep I spoke with said the issues are completely unrelated and I'm out of luck. He said I could call back in during the week and talk to the service techs if I wanted. My work schedule makes waiting on hold during the week for an hour nearly impossible.

Am I really out of luck or would it be worthwhile to call back?
I had the exact same thing happen to me last weekend on my 709. I haven't had any luck with the email support group working with me. I am going to try calling in to support and see if I can plead my case. Their repair didn't even last 8 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page