Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1262Likes

post #1561 of 2815 Old 09-22-2015, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius_rich View Post
Admittedly, my knowledge is limited but am curious on the forum's thoughts on the route I should take. My 809's audio stopped working, but after reading this thread, I found I can get it to work by cycling through the inputs and let the unit initialize. My unit is eligible for repair or rebate. I have over $300 of BB gift cards and don't mind adding a few more hundred in cash for a new unit such as the TX-NR646 or better. Am I giving up a better unit (after repaired) for a lessor but newer unit that is not THX certified and is it worth the extra cash for a 747 that has THX Select2 ?

I am currently running 7.1 and watch movies primarily.

TIA....
Best Buy has the Pioneer Elite SC85 on clearance for $899

consider that

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 2815 Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by B|G1 View Post
I thought the warranty just was to august 2015.

From the first post in the thread:

As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018.
post #1563 of 2815 Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
*Warning* My Onkyo TX-NR646 has suffered a LOSS OF AUDIO, but it is a new unit and not within the 2009 to 2012 range. I purchased it 30 days ago, and I will have to pay for shipping to send it to a service center to have it repaired. It sure seems like Onkyo knows about a problem and they're only willing to admit to it on a limited basis - even though it is still going on. This is my second Onkyo receiver, but it will be my last. If anyone is thinking about buying an A/V Receiver, I would avoid Onkyo like the plague! HEAR THAT, ONKYO?!

I wish I had known this was going on before I purchased my Receiver. (There have been many times that I have wondered about Denon, but I've never been able to find much info about it among enthusiasts. That's why I bought Onkyo in the first place. With Onkyo becoming crap to own - speak up, guys! There has to be some competition in the $500 range!)

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 2815 Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My 807 bit the dust 3 times,Onkyo said they would send me a new unit if I shipped back the 807.Came home from vacation and my neighbor brought over a brand new 818 that came while I was gone.Have not had any issues yet and that was 4 years ago and this unit will be covered until 2018.Can't get much better than that.
post #1565 of 2815 Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys.

My Onkyo NR509 sadly lost HDMI sound and video + it was having occasional network issues. I went with Customer care program which I find in this site and they say I can either return it and get 100€ of discount when buying new one or a free repair.

I would like to know what would be your opinion. How big difference is between 509, 545 and 646? Is 646 really worth paying more? I would fancy new features like deezer or bluetooth, but I am mostly interested in purely the quality of the sound. Currently I am using Sib&Cub2. Would I get huge benefit in sound if I go mental and I buy 545 or even 646?

Thanks guys.
All the best,
Jack
post #1566 of 2815 Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TX-NR626 HDMI fail

Bought my TX-NR626 18 months ago via Woot. Because it's a refurb, the warranty is only 1 year. About a week ago, the video failed. After several days of troubleshooting, I managed to isolate the problem to the HDMI Main OUT. All the other HDMI ports are functioning, but for output, I'm only able to send a signal out through the HDMI Sub OUT.

Part of the difficulty in troubleshooting was that after I did a factory reset I lost all my settings, and getting everything back without access to the TV (only accessible via Main Out) required doing all the Settings via the front panal display...seriously painful!

Anyway, I contacted Onkyo Support and they won't budge on the warranty (which is kind of frustrating considering the extension for the older models) so now I need to decide what, if anything to do about this HDMI problem. I was actually all set to replace the receiver with another brand before I narrowed down the issue and got the receiver back to being mostly useable. Of course that's not necessary now, but I'm still frustrated that I don't have full useability and I'm wonder if it's worth repairing. I actually thought about attempting to troubleshoot/repair the HDMI issue myself but I'd be shooting in the dark since I haven't found any discussions on HDMI problems or repairs for the 626. I couldn't even find a service/repair manual for this model, which I'd be interested in seeing if anyone can direct me where to find one.

I'm curious if any other NR626 owners have encountered HDMI issues and what if any solution fixed the problem.
post #1567 of 2815 Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 PM

Hi all.

I own an Onkyo 607, have had it for about 6 years now. A couple of years ago, my menu buttons stopped working....I can only see limited menus on the AVR itself, and nothing comes up on the screen. Likewise, composite/component inputs never display and only give sound (making older things like the Wii useless on it).

The video on HDMI inputs plays fine however. Does this warranty extension cover that fault too?

I also get random clicking noises coming from the AVR.....not very often but it's there.

Also, more importantly.....lately, on watching a few movies, bitstreaming DTS/AC3 audio from my HTPC....I get intermittent very short sound dips. So mid conversation or effects in a movie the sound blanks for just a split second. It doesn't bother my other half, but it bugs the hell out of me and I find myself listening for it, more than actually watching the movie. Whilst this could perhaps be an issue with my HTPC and I have tried allsorts including a rebuild, I suspect this might be caused by the AVR too.....HD video plays perfectly just the audio giving the micro dropouts, and as its bitstreaming I wouldn't expect the PC would affect the sound or if transfer issue it'd surely affect the image too.

I have a couple of consoles connected to the AVR....haven't played them of late, but I must get round to trying it out....I'm sure I remember hearing these dips with them too a while ago but didn't think anything of it at time

edit: Is there any 'easier' location of the serial number? Even displayed on the display perhaps? To get to the rear bottom, I'll probably have to yank a boatload of tight cables out that will be tricky to reach on the shelf as it was putting them in in the first place

Last edited by Midnight Tboy; 09-27-2015 at 05:52 PM.
post #1568 of 2815 Old 09-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My 808 bit the dust today. For about an hour, I had audio on 2ch PCM but only static on any bit-streaming. Unplugged it for a while and when I plugged it back in no audio period. Punched my serial in and it's covered so we'll see how this goes. Crappy timing, I'm on vacation this week and now no movies or gaming.
post #1569 of 2815 Old 09-28-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy View Post
Hi all.

I own an Onkyo 607, have had it for about 6 years now. A couple of years ago, my menu buttons stopped working....I can only see limited menus on the AVR itself, and nothing comes up on the screen. Likewise, composite/component inputs never display and only give sound (making older things like the Wii useless on it).

The video on HDMI inputs plays fine however. Does this warranty extension cover that fault too?

I also get random clicking noises coming from the AVR.....not very often but it's there.

Also, more importantly.....lately, on watching a few movies, bitstreaming DTS/AC3 audio from my HTPC....I get intermittent very short sound dips. So mid conversation or effects in a movie the sound blanks for just a split second. It doesn't bother my other half, but it bugs the hell out of me and I find myself listening for it, more than actually watching the movie. Whilst this could perhaps be an issue with my HTPC and I have tried allsorts including a rebuild, I suspect this might be caused by the AVR too.....HD video plays perfectly just the audio giving the micro dropouts, and as its bitstreaming I wouldn't expect the PC would affect the sound or if transfer issue it'd surely affect the image too.

I have a couple of consoles connected to the AVR....haven't played them of late, but I must get round to trying it out....I'm sure I remember hearing these dips with them too a while ago but didn't think anything of it at time

edit: Is there any 'easier' location of the serial number? Even displayed on the display perhaps? To get to the rear bottom, I'll probably have to yank a boatload of tight cables out that will be tricky to reach on the shelf as it was putting them in in the first place
No love for the serial number location, it would be on the original invoice as well. Go to the website linked to in the first page, answer the questions correctly and see what happens...
Midnight Tboy likes this.
post #1570 of 2815 Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
No love for the serial number location, it would be on the original invoice as well. Go to the website linked to in the first page, answer the questions correctly and see what happens...

Thanks - I'll dig out my old Richer Sounds receipt (if still have it) and see if it's on that.

Looking at the repair site from the list of questions however not sure which option would best fit in my case. (ie no Menu screens/analogue upscaling conversion + random dropouts).

Options are:
Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel
Loss of sound experienced on all channels
Speaker indicator on display is not showing
Speaker indicator on display is on
"Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly
Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable)
Loss of video on HDMI output
Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure)

I'm guessing the last two are kind of right - not total loss of video but just on those specific inputs
post #1571 of 2815 Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Sadly my unit predates this and I have recently had issues with HDMI video and audio dropouts as well as nonfunctioning HDMI Inputs. As long as this one chugs along a little longer until I get enough $$$ to replace it I should be ok.

This space for rent!
post #1572 of 2815 Old 10-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old AV Buff View Post
If it's like mine, they put in an entirely different board. My NR708 has run without a hitch for over a month now.
UPDATE... It's been 7 months now since I got my NR708 back from the Onkyo HDMI board change and it has ran 12-15 hours daily without a hiccup since. Very pleased, indeed.
post #1573 of 2815 Old 10-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegee View Post
Bought my TX-NR626 18 months ago via Woot. Because it's a refurb, the warranty is only 1 year. About a week ago, the video failed. After several days of troubleshooting, I managed to isolate the problem to the HDMI Main OUT. All the other HDMI ports are functioning, but for output, I'm only able to send a signal out through the HDMI Sub OUT.

Part of the difficulty in troubleshooting was that after I did a factory reset I lost all my settings, and getting everything back without access to the TV (only accessible via Main Out) required doing all the Settings via the front panal display...seriously painful!

Anyway, I contacted Onkyo Support and they won't budge on the warranty (which is kind of frustrating considering the extension for the older models) so now I need to decide what, if anything to do about this HDMI problem. I was actually all set to replace the receiver with another brand before I narrowed down the issue and got the receiver back to being mostly useable. Of course that's not necessary now, but I'm still frustrated that I don't have full useability and I'm wonder if it's worth repairing. I actually thought about attempting to troubleshoot/repair the HDMI issue myself but I'd be shooting in the dark since I haven't found any discussions on HDMI problems or repairs for the 626. I couldn't even find a service/repair manual for this model, which I'd be interested in seeing if anyone can direct me where to find one.

I'm curious if any other NR626 owners have encountered HDMI issues and what if any solution fixed the problem.
whole thread with a few recent posts here. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...iscussion.html
post #1574 of 2815 Old 10-19-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrank% View Post
whole thread with a few recent posts here. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...iscussion.html
I had a PRSC5508 which had the cable issue and the HDMI board switching issue. I went with the Onkyo program and purchased a PRSC5530. I now experience the simalar issues I had with PRSC5508 when it first started to fail. The new unit PRSC5530 does not turn on the audio. I performed all the requirements to reset the preamp and the problem still exist. I must cycle through the tv to get anything to work which includes the tuner. Anyone else with a simalar issue?
post #1575 of 2815 Old 10-21-2015, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
My 876 is almost 6 years old now. I've read of higher end units like this one failing and I can't help but wonder how many Onkyo owners read about the heat failures on line but shrugged their shoulders at spending $25 to buy a widely available small fan and power source. Maybe they thought that Onkyo shouldn't make faulty units and they shouldn't have to buy a fan, so didn't. I thought, I'll spend 25 in insurance and 6 years later my receiver has been flawless. I'd rather spend for the fan than have a failure or 2 to deal with.

I also wonder how many ignored the instructions in the manual and crammed their Onkyo into tight enclosed shelving(and of course wouldn't admit that to Onkyo)thus ensuring they would cook the hdmi board. It's a mess, I know. Onkyo apparently got the daughter board in question from Toshiba and somehow the spec for the capacitors that fail should have been 105 degrees instead of 85 degrees. At some point they no doubt realized they screwed up, and didn't do much about it. For that their rep has suffered greatly and rightly so. I just look at my flawless 876 and wonder how many could have avoided all the trouble they had by listening to what they read on forums like this. Even now owners are probably reading this and shrugging their shoulders instead of doing something before the trouble strikes.
I know this is a old post, but I am curious if there are any more updated means of cooling receivers (not just Onyko). I don't have a problem with temperature, but its better to prevent a problem than to fix it. My receiver has a USB port, is there any type of recommended fan/s to use to accomplish said task?
post #1576 of 2815 Old 10-21-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccor View Post
I know this is a old post, but I am curious if there are any more updated means of cooling receivers (not just Onyko). I don't have a problem with temperature, but its better to prevent a problem than to fix it. My receiver has a USB port, is there any type of recommended fan/s to use to accomplish said task?

I think that the solutions to this task are as varied as the people implimenting them! I would recommend two things though, don't power the fans from the receiver and taylor the air flow direction to compliment the receiver design...

My recommendation would be to use a fan the is either always on or triggered by the receiver being turned on (I use the always on process). As for the fans and where you put them, I use 120v units on top to aid in the natural convection through the unit, I believe that if your AVR does not have internal fans this is the best method. If your AVR does have fans be sure that anything you do compliments their effectiveness not impeads it.

You mention the USB port, personally I would not power cooling fans from this port.

Al
post #1577 of 2815 Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My NR-807 has been repaired once already (2012) and is now having sound issues again. When first turning the unit on I have to power the unit off and on several times to get the sound to work. I'm debating sending it in for another repair or just taking the rebate offer towards a new receiver.

Last edited by msp203; 10-22-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #1578 of 2815 Old 10-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp203 View Post
My NR-807 has been repaired once already (2012) and is now having sound issues again. When first turning the unit on I have to power the unit off and on several times to get the sound to work. I'm debating sending it in for another repair or just taking the rebate offer towards a new receiver.
Send it in then sell it or use it till it dies.
post #1579 of 2815 Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
Doesn't the fact that all Onkyo receivers run hot, contribute to the failed HDMI board issues?

Seems to me, that they should concentrate there efforts on finding a way to make cooler operating receivers.

Class d3 amplification and a re-config of there lay out would sort this issue out
post #1580 of 2815 Old 10-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp203 View Post

Have it repaired and move on as then its probably got a good couple of years or more for someone else to enjoy!
post #1581 of 2815 Old 10-26-2015, 07:26 AM

Organized list of models covered?

Can anyone point me to a list of covered models for the Onkyo repair program? Many people have rung in about individual units that have been covered/not covered, but Onkyo is only presenting date of manufacture as their criterion and not mentioning specific models. I know that some models may include units manufactured on both sides of the program cutoff dates, but any kind of "model overview" list would be helpful, as well as any feedback on how rigid Onkyo has been on enforcing the manufacture dates. I have a half dozen screwed up Onkyo receivers in my shed, and before I hook up each one of them to recreate their issues for the online form I want to reduce the odds that it would be wasted time.
post #1582 of 2815 Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnh View Post
Can anyone point me to a list of covered models for the Onkyo repair program? Many people have rung in about individual units that have been covered/not covered, but Onkyo is only presenting date of manufacture as their criterion and not mentioning specific models. I know that some models may include units manufactured on both sides of the program cutoff dates, but any kind of "model overview" list would be helpful, as well as any feedback on how rigid Onkyo has been on enforcing the manufacture dates. I have a half dozen screwed up Onkyo receivers in my shed, and before I hook up each one of them to recreate their issues for the online form I want to reduce the odds that it would be wasted time.
There is a link in this thread that allows you to type in the serial number and find out if the unit is covered. Seems like I posted it once, so you may want to search by my user ID to find it.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1583 of 2815 Old 10-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Thanks, I'm aware of the page where you enter serial # to begin the eligibility process. The link is on the first page of this thread. The process requires choosing symptoms, and I want to eliminate any ineligible units that I'm storing BEFORE going through the hoop show of setup/testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
There is a link in this thread that allows you to type in the serial number and find out if the unit is covered. Seems like I posted it once, so you may want to search by my user ID to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnh View Post
post #1584 of 2815 Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 78
To check if mine was covered, I just chose the first 'symptom' and hit enter. Seems like you can change the symptom that you submit later, if and when you finally send it in. This way you will know if checking out the units even matters.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1585 of 2815 Old 10-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I haven't been to the forums here for quite a few months. I have a TX-NR 609 that mysteriously lost audio 2 days ago. The network connectivity died months ago. I was upset that a 3 year old receiver would die the way and did, and begrudgingly purchased another Onkyo through Crutchfield (NR 737) because of a $400 off sale. I then came here to look at what others thought of this model and stumbled upon the news about the repair/rebate.

Again, you guys prove why this website is such a valuable tool to anyone who needs info. Thank you. It's a good thing I went with another Onkyo by chance, and now I'm eligible for the rebate.

Good thing I didn't chuck the 609 in the dumpster.

I like Ice Cream!
post #1586 of 2815 Old 10-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In this day it is admirable that Omkyo is standing behind their products!

Now that Onkyo owns Pioneer they should be just as proactive with Pioneer's 2011 to 2012 UE22 Audio drop out units!

Link Here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...listening.html

A list of Pioneer receivers with UE22 Audio errors:

Elite SC-LX85

Elite SC-50

Elite SC-55

Elite SC-57

Elite SC-63

Elite SC-67

Elite SC-1222-K

Elite SC-1527-K

Elite VSX 52

Elite VSX 53

Elite VSX 60

VSX 1021-K

VSX 1121-K

VSX 2021-K

Onkyo CEO please encourage Pioneer to operate to your high standards!
When Pioneer does not, they also bring your name down...which you are working so hard to keep strong and care about your consumers!
Instead of doing what Onkyo has done Pioneer's response to each consumer is this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because your VSX-60
is no longer covered under our Limited Warranty, we must respectfully deny
your request for assistance with the cost of repairs that may be needed on
the unit.

While Pioneer is unfortunately unable to provide the requested
accommodation, we thank you for your business, and for the opportunity to
respond specifically to your concern.

Mark Passmore
Manager, Customer Service
Pioneer Electronics
(800) 421-1640 x2291

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change the model number and that is what Pioneer's consumers get!
Nice huh!

Regards,

Bud

Last edited by Bud B; 10-28-2015 at 01:07 AM.
post #1587 of 2815 Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've read a lot of complaints as well as praise for Onkyo in this thread and I personally am thrilled that they are doing this. I just looked up my 609 and my 5009 and both are covered. The 609 has no sound and says initializing... its now replaced with a Denon in the den. Main unit, the 5009 gets stuck about half the time when switching input sources and I have to unplug it to reset it.
The one thing that doesnt sit well with me- the 5009 they offered me all of $275 trade in. Thats a joke...So either way, Im happy enough getting it fixed.
post #1588 of 2815 Old 10-29-2015, 09:23 AM

My TX-SR608 is dying. I got real excited after seeing this thread, but sadly according the serial # my unit is not eligible. Here is a video of it actually dying. After unplugging it for a period of time it will work again, for about 5-10 minutes. The audio is through RCA inputs, not sure if that signal passes through the HDMI board or not. The crackles do not get quieter when the volume is turned down, which leads me to believe it's after the amplifier section. Anyone have an issue similar to this?

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=AlwtAgPSPuI

It crackled again and went dead silent about 10 seconds after the end of this video.
post #1589 of 2815 Old 10-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Hi, i got a problem with my network connection when i turn on my receiver Onkyo tx-nr818
I use the uff-1 dongle for wifi and it doesn't find my wifi when i turn on the receiver after it has been turned off for a while. And i can't access the dongle in usb menu either. But if i take out the usb dongle from the receiver and replugg it again then it works after that and connects to my wifi network and i can access the receiver from the onkyo remote 3 app.
I just got the receiver back from service in Germany last week, after i had the loss of audio problem but i never had this problem then.. I used to control the receiver with the onkyo remote app and this problem is really annoying.
Tried hardware reset but didn't help. Onkyo told me to either send it back for repair in germany again or repair it here in Sweden now. It works fine with a ethernet cable so i have unplugged that from my xbox 360 and use it for the Onkyo, because i really don't want to send it for repair again.. But I'm a bit scared that the whole hdmi board will brake and the loss of audio will come back. How the could send it back without trying it out is beyond me!
post #1590 of 2815 Old 10-30-2015, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I was having NET issues, wouldn't connect etc & then lost audio, had my 818 repaired & when it came back, NET still wouldn't connect til I turned off Network Standby in Hardware Setup. Had mine hardwired to a wireless bridge to my router & wouldn't connect so now have it hardwired directly to my modem. Works fine for now lol.

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004;
Orbit TT Red Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Ortofon OM 5E Cartridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page