Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1262Likes

post #1891 of 2815 Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't consider myself lucky. I don't own any of those models from Onkyo. If there is a know problem, Onkyo should step up and fix them all, imho, or offer Onkyo owners a replacement at a discounted price, like Sony did with my TV several years back. The box arrived after 10 days...it's at least 3 times the size of my receiver with not nearly enough packing material. Instructions says to score the box on the score lines....none available. If I had my original box I would have double boxed it and shipped it already. Scrambling around looking for packing material! I called repair center. They know NOTHING of any kind of repair from Onkyo/Integra!!!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2815 Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 AM
avp

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have TX-NR709. Whole process took 10 days. What I did try was to save all settings before sending it out. When receiver came back I just recalled all settings from memory and checked speaker levels with sound meter. This way I was able to keep all custom labels and radio presets. I will do complete receiver and TV calibration when I get a chance. Using this method which I did not know if memory would keep the settings, I was able to be right back to using as if it never left.
post #1893 of 2815 Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My better half called Integra Friday am. Work has been crazy for me..And it's a good thing she did. Apparently I talked to a new employee at Onkyo last week. He had given me bad info, sent me a label to the wrong place to get my receiver fixed. Integra/Onkyo did come through and sent us a new correct label via email. But they wouldn't upgrade the shipping despite the mistake. So off it goes to IL as of today. And the story continues....

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2815 Old 03-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
My 818 is having it's HDMI board replaced for the second time now in 3 years. The repair is being covered by Onkyo even though the unit is no longer under warranty. Expect to have it back this time next week hopefully. And no, I don't regret the purchase one bit. For the over 3 years I've owned my 818 I'll have been without it for only a couple weeks total. Not a big deal. Aside from the HDMI board failures the unit has performed flawlessly. I like the receiver a lot and fortunately both times I've had to have it serviced a local Onkyo authorized service center has been within 90 miles of my home. Always up for a good road trip. Not worth getting worked up over.
post #1895 of 2815 Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Woke up today to no sound from my 818. Box requested but not looking forward to at least a week or two of crappy Plasma speaker audio.

Fighting the urge to grab a new receiver & just sell the 818 when it gets back.
NODES likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #1896 of 2815 Old 03-12-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
My 818 is having it's HDMI board replaced for the second time now in 3 years. The repair is being covered by Onkyo even though the unit is no longer under warranty. Expect to have it back this time next week hopefully. And no, I don't regret the purchase one bit. For the over 3 years I've owned my 818 I'll have been without it for only a couple weeks total. Not a big deal. Aside from the HDMI board failures the unit has performed flawlessly. I like the receiver a lot and fortunately both times I've had to have it serviced a local Onkyo authorized service center has been within 90 miles of my home. Always up for a good road trip. Not worth getting worked up over.
LOL! I'm always up for a good road trip also! But it's usually to the Grand Canyon or Sedona or some hiking destination! My experience was for sure a rookie mistake. It happens. I just can't wait to get back my Integra!

Jeff
post #1897 of 2815 Old 03-12-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post
If there is a know problem, Onkyo should step up and fix them all, imho, or offer Onkyo owners a replacement at a discounted price, like Sony did with my TV several years back.
Unlikely. There are too many failed units spanning too many years and they have been pretty good about fixing them for free a little out of warranty for those who gently insist, at least that is what is reported on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
At least you have the option of selling a working receiver, not that Onkyo's reputation helps you much there. Some of the newer units might be more reliable. Apparently they have reduced power consumption by turning off some of the HDMI ports that are not active etc. and that helps keep the capacitors cooler. My 929 has been going fine for a couple of years now despite being both a year old refurb and subject to the network chip recall. Only issue is it sometimes drops video but only when driven by the Nvidia graphics in my computer and that could be the PC or OS. Maybe it was already repaired once, who knows, but fine so far.
post #1898 of 2815 Old 03-13-2016, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
I didn't fight hard enough.
azz7686 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #1899 of 2815 Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a TX-N626 which I bought referb direct from Onkyo about 6 months ago. Recently I've had a few weird things happen:

1) Speakers go out for a couple of seconds, blast of sound through TV speakers and then back to receiver. Seems to happen every couple of hours. It's annoying but something I can live with.

2) Just over the last week, when trying to switch HDMI inputs either directly or through my Harmony remote, it seems to go to the correct HDMI input but then back to the default TV/CD input. Seems to happen with all HDMI inputs and eventually I can get it to stick.

Are these symptomatic of the problems you guys are seeing? Is my HDMI board about to bite the dust? Are referbs part of the return policy? I've had other Onkyo receivers and I just find their sound superior to other receivers I've had including Sony and Pioneer. Seems to be the best bang for the buck. But, only if it works .
mikemx3 likes this.

Steve
post #1900 of 2815 Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@steveknj I had similar behaviour when I first set up my 616. In my case it was a HDMI-CEC interaction that I did not want to occur.
Since I, like you, was using a Harmony remote I just disabled all HDMI-CEC functions on all my equipment and that worked. I hope this is the case for you too.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #1901 of 2815 Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
LOL! I'm always up for a good road trip also! But it's usually to the Grand Canyon or Sedona or some hiking destination! My experience was for sure a rookie mistake. It happens. I just can't wait to get back my Integra!

Jeff
What's so funny? I didn't say all I did was drive 90 miles to drop my receiver off, then drive back home, yet you assume that's what I did. Both times I planned activities around my trips unique to where I had to go and even if I hadn't I'd still find your reaction to my post uncalled for. *Shakes head.*

Last edited by Low Profile; 03-13-2016 at 10:58 AM.
post #1902 of 2815 Old 03-13-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's so funny? I didn't say all I did was drive 90 miles to drop my receiver off, then drive back home, yet you assume that's what I did. Both times I planned activities around my trips unique to where I had to go and even if I hadn't I'd still find your reaction to my post uncalled for. *Shakes head.*
Wow...just a tad sensitive are we not?? Wasn't implying anything. Just saying I enjoy a road trip now and then also. And uncalled for...oh yeah...did I mention your just a tad over sensitive? Relax. I was on YOUR side with my comment.

Jeff
post #1903 of 2815 Old 03-13-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
I've had other Onkyo receivers and I just find their sound superior to other receivers I've had including Sony and Pioneer. Seems to be the best bang for the buck. But, only if it works .
I find that it is the sound modes, not the amplifier, that makes the difference. Onkyo seems to provide the best feature set (including sound modes) per dollar invested. Plus they sell so many it is easy to find a used or refurb meeting your needs. Unfortunately, the HDMI might not last long on used model that is probably being sold because the HDMI is starting to fail.
post #1904 of 2815 Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Someone tell me where the onkyo 805 thread is please.
post #1905 of 2815 Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
Someone tell me where the onkyo 805 thread is please.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...05-thread.html

post #1906 of 2815 Old 03-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
My Unit is no longer getting audio. Filled out the forms and hopefully will get a box sent out soon? During all of last week I had to turn off the receiver 3 times in a row to get audio.

Thanks OP for the link and info.

Was holding out till June/July to get a new receiver, waiting to see if any difference from 2015 to 2015 receivers this year before I buy. Will move the Onkyo to the wife study room and set up a audio room for her to relax. Trying to hold out until new info is out.
post #1907 of 2815 Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Administrator

My Onkyo box arrives FedEx tomorrow & my new Denon AVR-X4200W arrives UPS on Wednesday.

post #1908 of 2815 Old 03-17-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Wow...just a tad sensitive are we not?? Wasn't implying anything. Just saying I enjoy a road trip now and then also. And uncalled for...oh yeah...did I mention your just a tad over sensitive? Relax. I was on YOUR side with my comment.

Jeff
It's that time of the month. :-P Sorry for overreacting. Truly. I do need to relax.

And on a brighter note....
Picked up my Onkyo TX-NR818 from service yesterday. HDMI board replaced. Working great once again. No issues.
post #1909 of 2815 Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My TX-NR818 lost all audio night before last... it is covered under the repair program. Just sent in the request for a box. Just wanted to thank the OP for this thread... a life saver! I use this receiver every single night. Gonna miss it until it gets back... hate using the TV speakers! I'll let y'all know how it goes...
post #1910 of 2815 Old 03-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
My TX-NR818 lost all audio night before last... it is covered under the repair program. Just sent in the request for a box. Just wanted to thank the OP for this thread... a life saver! I use this receiver every single night. Gonna miss it until it gets back... hate using the TV speakers! I'll let y'all know how it goes...
I wasn't so lucky. I have a TX-NR818, and it's become an intermittent door stop.

I've had video cut out entirely, and now my receiver does not want to power on.

I would occasionally have intermittent video problems with the receiver, but I was able to live with that. Now it will no longer power back on. I have disconnected all wires/inputs/outputs to the receiver and waited several hours before attempting to power it back on (as the manual states for circuit protection activated errors), to no avail.

It did this several times, where it was DEAD, and then suddenly came back to life (including once at 2am - blasting TV all through the house)

Unfortunately, because I didn't lose audio, Onkyo support says its not the HDMI issue, and therefore it's not covered by the warranty. The best they could do was to offer me a discounted replacement for various refurb unit models.

A bit disappointing to have a faulty board/component in the unit and be told that my problem (HDMI and power related) is not covered.

I guess I will take it to the local repair shop and see what my options are.
post #1911 of 2815 Old 03-17-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's that time of the month. :-P Sorry for overreacting. Truly. I do need to relax.

And on a brighter note....
Picked up my Onkyo TX-NR818 from service yesterday. HDMI board replaced. Working great once again. No issues.
And I over reacted...to many things going on with me.. so no worries here!!!!! But I still like road trips no matter what!

Let's add to the fun...Onkyo sent me another box to ship my receiver to the correct place..the day the original box with the receiver arrived in Chicago..at least the box was the correct size this time! Sunday will be 21 days since my Integra died. Next Tuesday, it will be 21 days since they first shipped the box, which took 8 days to get to me from NJ! And Onkyo wouldn't upgrade the shipping so I could get the receiver sooner!

Jeff
post #1912 of 2815 Old 03-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Turnaround was quick! I shipped it on Tuesday and it's back home today.

It's glaring at the new Denon.
freeman4 likes this.

post #1913 of 2815 Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avp View Post
I have TX-NR709. Whole process took 10 days. What I did try was to save all settings before sending it out. When receiver came back I just recalled all settings from memory and checked speaker levels with sound meter. This way I was able to keep all custom labels and radio presets. I will do complete receiver and TV calibration when I get a chance. Using this method which I did not know if memory would keep the settings, I was able to be right back to using as if it never left.
You're lucky. I saved my settings as well, but nothing was restored. Glad I took pictures of all my settings. I just redid the Audissey setup to make sure.
post #1914 of 2815 Old 03-20-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
@steveknj I had similar behaviour when I first set up my 616. In my case it was a HDMI-CEC interaction that I did not want to occur.
Since I, like you, was using a Harmony remote I just disabled all HDMI-CEC functions on all my equipment and that worked. I hope this is the case for you too.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
The problem with this is, yeah, this worked, but it causes other issues, like TV sound only coming from TV speakers when using smart apps on the TV for example. So it solves one problem and creates another.

Now, I lost sound completely last night, had to unplug for a few minutes and it fixed it. I'm just wondering if it's worth going through the hassle of returning it for repair or just chalk it up to a bad purchase and get something else.

Steve
post #1915 of 2815 Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all i need some advice please!!
I currently have a TX-SR607 ( bought July 2009 )
With in the last week when you first turn it on in the mornings , when the unit is cold and you select a source ( Any source that usually works fine ) i will see the lcd display change ok on the box to say the source , E.G Sat but there will be no click from the box and no signal / sound will appear and i get the message "No Signal" on both the 607 screen and the TV.
Sometimes it will start to work ok if you cycle through the different sources several times , E.G sat >> Kodi >> NowTV >> XBox , if that fails then thurning the box of and on a few times fixes it, once it is running there is no problem again until you turn it off again for the night.
From what i read earlier on in this thread i take it this problem is not covered by their extended warranty till 2018 offer as the unit is an SR model and not the NR ,,, is this true ?? ( i have entered my serial number and says no repair needed or something like that )
If this problem is not covered by them automatically under that agreement should i either try e.mailing them to see if they will fix it FOC ( god loves a trier ) failing that does my issue sound like replacing the caps would fix the issue if the problem does get worse for me ?

Thanks
post #1916 of 2815 Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I don't think your problem is caps. And it wouldnt hurt to call them.
post #1917 of 2815 Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey76 View Post
Thanks for the reply Stewey , what symptons do the amps have that need the caps replaced on them.
As for phoning them i think ill e.mail them , cheaper
post #1918 of 2815 Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey76 View Post

Why would you say that? It is VERY common for the caps to be the problem on the late model SR receivers.
post #1919 of 2815 Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeath332 View Post
Thanks for the reply Stewey , what symptons do the amps have that need the caps replaced on them.

Actually, as I mentioned above, it is very common for it to be a cap problem that causes HDMI issues on the SR model receivers. The caps are not up to spec and can't handle the heat. They need to be replaced with a higher heat tolerance cap.

Posted by @CherylJosie from another thread:

The solution is to replace (at least) all the power supply filter electrolytic capacitors possible (especially the surface mount 100uF 4V power supply filter capacitors) with leaded, high temp (105C for 1000 hours at least) capacitors. Use leaded capacitors and cut the leads long, bending the capacitor over if necessary for physical clearance, to keep the heat conductance to a minimum. Surface mount are in close contact with the PCB. Leaded capacitors can be positioned so that they are far enough away to avoid getting too much heat conducted into them. Convection and radiation will still warm them up but at least they will not be piping as much heat straight into the package through the leads.
post #1920 of 2815 Old 03-23-2016, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Did you read his problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page