Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1263Likes

post #2071 of 2819 Old 10-19-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexan View Post
Forgot to mention, the Onkyo TX-NR646 is on sale today on Groupon for $369.99. It doesn't list the name of the retailer but it's a NEW unit not a refurbished one.
The code "SAVES" will get you an additional $30 discount. Didn't bite myself (waiting on insurance adjuster after lightning damaged my TX-NR535 at the beach) but went as far as checkout screen and code does work.

As a comparison, A4L has factory refurbished 646s w/1yr warranty for $289.99.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2819 Old 10-27-2016, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought a TX NR 646 and have had sound issues. After FF - NO SOUND for sometimes up to 5 minutes. Posted on the Onkyo Forum and they say there are firmware issues and hopefully they will be resolved soon.. Thing is, they say take it to a service repair facility.. WHAT?? If it's a firmware issue, how is a service center going to fix an issue if the firmware update isn't out yet?

My correspondence with ONKYO below.. and.... they won't give me case number so I can return unit.. Anyone have any ideas?
  • ForumMod9 wrote:Hello tilzman442, we have identified an issue with some DVR's. Our engineers are working on a firmware update. We do not have a release date at this time. Thank you FM9
Re: TX-NR646 Sound goes out after pausing or Fast forwarding

by ForumMod9 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:20 pm
Hello tilzman442, we understand your frustration. There are many models of DVR's on the market and we are trying to resolve all of the issues with one release. We all hope that it will be soon. Best regards, FM9

Frank

Last edited by zengel442; 10-27-2016 at 12:06 PM.
post #2073 of 2819 Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
So about a week or so ago my 808 started not having sound upon power up. At first it was every few power ups but now its almost everytime I turn it on i have to switch it back off and on to get sound. But once on it works fine. So my question to those that have had issues, did you wait for complete failure or were you able to get a warranty repair with intermittent failure? I dont want to be without my avr but if it needs to be fixed I would like to get it done sooner than later.

Another question, once I turn on my 808 i get a click to signify that the imput sync and then i get sound. Now that its not working at times I am not hearing the click. Is this the faulty hdmi board/card not working?

thanks for help on this
bill
So here i am again, my 808 is going bad again. audio and video cutting out. i will be doing the return process again. Onkyo makes the return painless but the hassle of pulling my unit and going without it for the length of the return and then putting it back in sucks.

here i go again.....

edit:
well crap, seems that was a one time fix for my onkyo and now i will have to start shopping around for another reciever when this one bites it. ive been using the same brand for a while so i will problably move on to another brand. im dissappointed in my onkyo not lasting but would buy another for the right price and features but i would like to try another brand this time around.
so sad

Last edited by krauley; 10-28-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2819 Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
So here i am again, my 808 is going bad again. audio and video cutting out. i will be doing the return process again. Onkyo makes the return painless but the hassle of pulling my unit and going without it for the length of the return and then putting it back in sucks.

here i go again.....

edit:
well crap, seems that was a one time fix for my onkyo and now i will have to start shopping around for another reciever when this one bites it. ive been using the same brand for a while so i will problably move on to another brand. im dissappointed in my onkyo not lasting but would buy another for the right price and features but i would like to try another brand this time around.
so sad
Too bad your 808 has been such a hassle. But all are not that way...

My 808 started to have an intermittent problem after six years so I sent it in on this program. It came back working well and it has for almost two years of daily use.

I bought another Onkyo as this experience is actually better than what I have had with other brands.
post #2075 of 2819 Old 10-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Too bad your 808 has been such a hassle. But all are not that way...

My 808 started to have an intermittent problem after six years so I sent it in on this program. It came back working well and it has for almost two years of daily use.

I bought another Onkyo as this experience is actually better than what I have had with other brands.
actually i love my 808 and aside from a manufacturers "F" up on the hdmi design its been great. does everything i need. i did a little browsing at denons earlier but the price put me off. Im not sure how long i have before i need to get another unit but was watching a bluray yesterday when everything went dark and quiet for a second because the hdmi went out, this happening more and more will make me buy another. i will get more serious after the holidays as my free money right now goes to my daughters xmas haha

thanks for the response
post #2076 of 2819 Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM
*tl

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my TX-NR1007 has started to have issues that may need warranty work. It was a certified refurbished model that I purchased from Accessories4Less, but when I looked at the back of the chassis, there is no serial number sticker. I can, however, see the adhesive residue where the sticker was at one time but it's gone now.

Anybody have a similar situation re: the serial number? I've contacted the seller, but it's been about 6 years, so I'm not hopeful.
post #2077 of 2819 Old 11-15-2016, 09:30 PM

Liked: 0
I (again) have the "no sound" issue with my TX-NR807. A few years ago, Onkyo paid for a new HDMI board to resolve a "no sound" / eventual sound after a few soft restarts or hard restarts (unplugging) problem. The local authorized Onkyo dealership kept my diagnosis fee , but at least they hinted at contacting Onkyo, which worked out better than proceeding with out-of-warranty repair. I now use it in my study with lower expectations / requirements and have a Yamaha in my living room. The 807 has worked for the last few years, but now I get no sound, ever.

Today, I opted for the $125 rebate toward a $700 (Amazon $400) TX-NR646 that has newer 4K and Atmos technology but is "lower end". Regarding remarks about S/N (mine is valid for repair/rebate) and receipts (which I have for the 807), the receipts appear to only refer to original receipts from the new replacement unit and stickers from the box. I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #2078 of 2819 Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Onkyo repaired my RC360 a few months back. An issue I am having however is the one Channel is lower than the rest and I need to put it on +9 to remotely equalize it. Is this part of the problems?

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 11-16-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #2079 of 2819 Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Only repaired my RC360 a few months back. An issue I am having however is the one Channel is lower than the rest and I need to put it on +9 to remotely equalize it. Is this part of the problems?
Not as far as I know, this problem is related to the HDMI board, have you tried different sources, tuner, analog and digital? IF it remains consistently low I would suggest that it is the amplifier.

Al
post #2080 of 2819 Old 11-20-2016, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I currently own an Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver that was purchased in 2011. When it was on standby, there was a burning smell. I immediately turned everything off. The next day onwards, it's been unable to send audio to the speakers but it's still passing video.

The receiver was bought in the U.S and imported to India via Amazon.com. I entered my serial number on the Onkyo site and it says it's eligible. But sending it to the U.S wouldn't be feasible and I'm not sure whether the local service center will uphold it.

More importantly, I'm worried about fire hazards even after repair. So I'm wondering if it would be safer to buy a new one such as Denon or Yamaha. These are the current speakers that I'm running for a 7.1 System:

Polk TSi 300 (for the fronts, sides, and rears)
Polk CS 20 (Center speaker)
Polk DSW 500 subwoofer

I'm currently not interested in Atmos and I was wondering if you could give me a few suggestions for a receiver to run those speakers. 4K and 3D support aren't needed as either as I'll be sending only the audio to the receiver.
post #2081 of 2819 Old 11-20-2016, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Have the HDMI issues been taken care of with newer models? I bought my TX-NR 5007 late '09. Hell, it's been over 6 years now and 2 covered repairs. I'm afraid to buy a new receiver... Specifically I need 4K handling capabilities.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
Samsung 65KS800D - Denon AVR X4200W - Oppo UDP-203 - PS4 Pro - Apple TV 4K - Aperion Intimus 6T - Aperion Intimus 6C - Aperion Intimus 4BP - SVS PC-13 Ultra

Last edited by vipervick; 11-20-2016 at 11:13 PM.
post #2082 of 2819 Old 11-24-2016, 05:45 PM

Its a shame and disappointing to read about all issues with Onkyo receivers lately. I have TX-SR705 bought on 2008, still works great. The only issue i had was it stopped decoding DTS Master tracks a while ago, I had to do a factory reset and recalibrate Audysey. No issues since then, works great. Now I am going for a Yamaha A1060. Not too sure about Onkyo quality.
post #2083 of 2819 Old 11-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengel442 View Post
Just bought a TX NR 646 and have had sound issues. After FF - NO SOUND for sometimes up to 5 minutes. Posted on the Onkyo Forum and they say there are firmware issues and hopefully they will be resolved soon.. Thing is, they say take it to a service repair facility.. WHAT?? If it's a firmware issue, how is a service center going to fix an issue if the firmware update isn't out yet?

My correspondence with ONKYO below.. and.... they won't give me case number so I can return unit.. Anyone have any ideas?
  • ForumMod9 wrote:Hello tilzman442, we have identified an issue with some DVR's. Our engineers are working on a firmware update. We do not have a release date at this time. Thank you FM9
Re: TX-NR646 Sound goes out after pausing or Fast forwarding

by ForumMod9 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:20 pm
Hello tilzman442, we understand your frustration. There are many models of DVR's on the market and we are trying to resolve all of the issues with one release. We all hope that it will be soon. Best regards, FM9

Spoke to Onkyo again and they recognized that some receivers have issues with communication on sound with certain DVR's and I guess I have one of those with issues. The support lady told me there is a "Work Around" solution. Just go to another setting like from cable to Bluetooth and back to cable and it will get the sound back.. I have done this and it works...Funny how the last call to Onkyo they told me Tech help could resolve problems and to call after I got back from vacation and never said anthing about a work around...

I absolutely love all of my Onkyo's, but really can't deal with this lack of sound issue, and the work around feature does not make me happy.
After technical help tells me there is no problem and issue can be resolved with Tech help and my last call to Onkyo telling me they have communication issues with the sound, I really do not want to deal with this company anymore and will be returning my 646.
NOW! what do I get? Research research research..

Frank

Last edited by zengel442; 11-25-2016 at 12:45 PM.
post #2084 of 2819 Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Liked: 11
I have a TX-NR809 I purchased in 2011. In 2014 had the no sound issue and network grayed out. Onkyo repaired the unit.

For the last 6 months (+/-) when I go to access the net or play net, it does not work (like no net access). Unplugging the unit and plugging it back in resolves it, but it happens again. I only use the net every few weeks so I am not sure if it happens more frequently.

Could this be a bad network chip?

thanks,

Mike
post #2085 of 2819 Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike View Post
I have a TX-NR809 I purchased in 2011. In 2014 had the no sound issue and network grayed out. Onkyo repaired the unit.

For the last 6 months (+/-) when I go to access the net or play net, it does not work (like no net access). Unplugging the unit and plugging it back in resolves it, but it happens again. I only use the net every few weeks so I am not sure if it happens more frequently.

Could this be a bad network chip?

thanks,

Mike
If the xx09 series are like the xx07 series the networking is on the HDMI board, in fact that was the first sign of trouble on my 3007, the network settings were greyed out and the app I use to remote control the AVR over Ethernet could not connect, the video and sound came next.

If you put in the serial number I'll wager it is covered...

Al
post #2086 of 2819 Old 12-04-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my setup for a while, and I stumbled upon this in a Google search. They're sending me a box, and I'll get my S9400THX receiver repaired.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-ho...l#post48702737
post #2087 of 2819 Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Without any warning or any sign of anything diminishing, I turned on my TX-NR646 as usual one day but had no audio. I went through all the unplugging and factory resets etc. Video was still fine on all the inputs/outputs but not a peep of sound from anything. Network settings were also greyed out now.

Thinking google might help me, I began searching and came across this thread. The shear number of failed units scouring the web screamed RECALL as did the reason why they all fail at some point. Apparently there is an excessive half volt sent to the DTS chip on the HDMI board and that silly Band-Aid fan in the unit does not cool the chip down now that it's being overheated from too much voltage. After enough time goes by the chip deteriorates as does the connection on the board. I'm going out on a limb. I'll bet if your unit has a fan, that disqualifies you from getting a real repair since that is the 'Fix'. I can assure you, that 25 cent fan didn't fix anything although it probably prolonged certain death...... just about enough time until the warranty runs out.

So, I called Onkyo and explained the symptoms, no audio and no network settings access. After asking for my serial, I was told the unit is out of warranty and my only recourse was to take it to a repair center and pay to have it fixed myself. I asked the rep if he was aware of the Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Program extended until 2018. The reply was he is very aware of it. I was told this program only applies for units still under warranty and I should have read that in the fine print (although nothing of the sort is on that page). I said why would you have a special program that only applies to units still under warranty? I said if anything breaks while still under warranty you are responsible to honor your warranty including no audio or network settings. What makes this program special aside from a normal warranty? He repeated the program is only for units still under warranty and since my unit isn't, it does not apply and to take my unit to a repair facility if I want to fix it myself.

I hung up, went to Best Buy that morning, and purchased a Denon AVR-S720W on sale, the comparable replacement to an Onkyo 646. Never been happier. Performance, features, and warranty surpass my expectations and certainly that of my dead Onkyo.

Call me naïve but my question is, if your unit is in warranty, what is so special about this program? Wouldn't loss of audio and network settings qualify for a regular ol' warranty return? Why would you have to jump through this hoop?

Last edited by brazen1; 12-04-2016 at 09:13 PM.
post #2088 of 2819 Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
If the xx09 series are like the xx07 series the networking is on the HDMI board, in fact that was the first sign of trouble on my 3007, the network settings were greyed out and the app I use to remote control the AVR over Ethernet could not connect, the video and sound came next.

If you put in the serial number I'll wager it is covered...
Thanks. I am wondering if it is the same issue. The Unit was fixed back in 2014 when I lost sound and network was grayed out. Now no sound issues. Network not grayed out, just sometimes I go to use my network app I cannot connect. Unpluggig and replugging back it gets the network back.
post #2089 of 2819 Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Without any warning or any sign of anything diminishing, I turned on my TX-NR646 as usual one day but had no audio. I went through all the unplugging and factory resets etc. Video was still fine on all the inputs/outputs but not a peep of sound from anything. Network settings were also greyed out now.

Thinking google might help me, I began searching and came across this thread. The shear number of failed units scouring the web screamed RECALL as did the reason why they all fail at some point. Apparently there is an excessive half volt sent to the DTS chip on the HDMI board and that silly Band-Aid fan in the unit does not cool the chip down now that it's being overheated from too much voltage. After enough time goes by the chip deteriorates as does the connection on the board. I'm going out on a limb. I'll bet if your unit has a fan, that disqualifies you from getting a real repair since that is the 'Fix'. I can assure you, that 25 cent fan didn't fix anything although it probably prolonged certain death...... just about enough time until the warranty runs out.

So, I called Onkyo and explained the symptoms, no audio and no network settings access. After asking for my serial, I was told the unit is out of warranty and my only recourse was to take it to a repair center and pay to have it fixed myself. I asked the rep if he was aware of the Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Program extended until 2018. The reply was he is very aware of it. I was told this program only applies for units still under warranty and I should have read that in the fine print (although nothing of the sort is on that page). I said why would you have a special program that only applies to units still under warranty? I said if anything breaks while still under warranty you are responsible to honor your warranty including no audio or network settings. What makes this program special aside from a normal warranty? He repeated the program is only for units still under warranty and since my unit isn't, it does not apply and to take my unit to a repair facility if I want to fix it myself.

I hung up, went to Best Buy that morning, and purchased a Denon AVR-S720W on sale, the comparable replacement to an Onkyo 646. Never been happier. Performance, features, and warranty surpass my expectations and certainly that of my dead Onkyo.

Call me naïve but my question is, if your unit is in warranty, what is so special about this program? Wouldn't loss of audio and network settings qualify for a regular ol' warranty return? Why would you have to jump through this hoop?
I don't believe that the 646 (released in 2015?) is covered by this program, it covers a range of devices that were built with a specific DSP chip sourced from TI, not all Onkyo AVR's have this chip and Onkyo stopped using the affected DSP chip after September 2012.

How that answers your question?

Al
post #2090 of 2819 Old 12-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
I don't believe that the 646 (released in 2015?) is covered by this program, it covers a range of devices that were built with a specific DSP chip sourced from TI, not all Onkyo AVR's have this chip and Onkyo stopped using the affected DSP chip after September 2012.

How that answers your question?
Perfectly, thanks.
Strange that the new chip fix has the exact same symptoms of the old chip. No audio and network settings greyed out. Lucky me got the upgraded fixed model that isn't covered.
post #2091 of 2819 Old 12-05-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Perfectly, thanks.
Strange that the new chip fix has the exact same symptoms of the old chip. No audio and network settings greyed out. Lucky me got the upgraded fixed model that isn't covered.

Are you outside of Onkyo's 2 year warranty?
post #2092 of 2819 Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Are you outside of Onkyo's 2 year warranty?
Evidently. I gave the rep my serial and was told it is. I would have thought, under the circumstances, maybe they would be gracious enough to stand behind their product beyond legal binding warranties for a known acknowledged defect with a poor cure releasing them from obligations legal and moral. In this day and age, there is no such thing as gracious and I'll have to accept that. I know. If every corporation went the extra mile they would be overwhelmed and undervalued. *Cough*.
post #2093 of 2819 Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone, this will be my first post on this wonderful forum and unfortunately, one about an issue with my Onkyo TX-NR708. Sometime around 2010/2011 I bought a TX-NR708 and.until a month or so ago when I started having issues with the audio/network dropout it had been fantastic. I have Direct TV as my provider and the first thing I found going to the web was that on some units, you have to turn off the Dolby on the DTV box, which I did and that seemed to solve the issue for me, for about a week. After that, hard resets (unplugging the unit) for 5 min or so seemed to fix the problem, but it only became more and more of an issue. That's when I found this forum and the legs length of members with the same issue. Upon contacting Onkyo, I found out my unit WAS elegable for the free fix. Filled out the form on a Thur, got my return box that next Tues and had it picked up the next day. I am in central Indiana and the unit was shipped to I believe Dalewood Il. They got it last Thur. and upon checking on the progress today, I see a note that the unit requires "further repair" nothing else. I tried to get in contact with them today but was only able to leave a msg which was not returned by close of business today. I am really curious as to what else they may have found as the unit has been great until the HDMI board issue. When I initially spoke to one of their reps, I was told the repair would be covered unless they found another issue and he mentioned an additional $28.00 fee. If it truly is another issue and is only $28.00 I will be happy, but I am wary of this at this point until I can actually speak with someone.
After reading through most of this thread, several members have mentioned a software they use to control their unit through their network, could someone point me in the direction of this software, if it is usable with the NR708 series receivers?
Thanks much in advance and I will keep you all updated on the "further repair" issue.

Thanks much!
Greg
post #2094 of 2819 Old 12-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 64
In case you have to pay it out of your own pocket, how much would an HDMI board approximately cost?
post #2095 of 2819 Old 12-08-2016, 03:31 PM

I havent looked much, I think about $75. Still no call back or email from them
post #2096 of 2819 Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Hello all!

I got ahold of the Onkyo service center concerning the other "needed" repair on my 709 this morning. I was told they replaced the HDMI board but there was a video cable that was damaged and needed to be replaced. The woman I spoke with said the tech had not included any further notes and she would check on it and get back with me in an hr or so.
I asked about the $28.00 flat fee for "other" repairs and she was not sure where he got that figure but anything else would be taken care of for a flat $75.00
I think I know which of the cables they are talking about, its a small ribbon able, 5 conductor if I am remembering correctly on the front of the HDMI board, maybe 6"-8" long. If this is the cable they are refering to, I can hardly see it running $75.00!!
The woman was veryolite and helpful, I am just not why, since they have known this since Tues, and I had called and left a msg asking for a call back and further info, I had not received anything.
AS before, I will keep you updated on the process and look forward to getting my unit back!!

Greg
post #2097 of 2819 Old 12-09-2016, 01:23 PM

Well, its taken care of! I got a call back and along with the HDMI board, which was replaced at no charge, they said I had an issue with the analogue AV board which needed to be replaced, so. $75.00 later, I should be getting my TX708 back by the end of next week I was told! I was really hoping that I would not be out of pocket at all, but I have to consider myself fortunate after looking up the prices of some of the boards to do it myself. Now I get to go through and set it all up again, but I just got another set of speakers, so I will be going from 5.1 to 7.1, I am really excited to hear the difference in sound!
post #2098 of 2819 Old 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM

I had forgot to ask in my last post, a quick question for the gurus. I have read about people adding heat sinks to the HDMI chip in question, fans, etc. This is something I was thinking about today while looking through some of my parts pile. I found a fan.heat sink/heat pipe from an old laptop I parted out, its a small, quiet 5v fan with a Cu, fluid filled tube going to a heat sink that is just about the perfect size for the problem chip. I was told that the HDMI board I am getting back has been redesigned, new chip, etc so that this should never be an issue again. I also keep the Onkyo unit on the top of my rack so it gets plenty of fresh air, do those of you in the know think it would be worth putting this fan/heat pipe unit on when I get it back? I have lots of old power supplies laying around and the design/shape of this unit would let it exhaust right out the back. Any thought or comments are appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg
post #2099 of 2819 Old 12-10-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well my TX-NR5008 is going bad again. I bought it in Dec. 2010 and in Sept. 2012 it had the famous HDMI board issue. I sent it for repair and they found defective HDMI board and IDE Connectors on the microprocessor & display boards. Now it is having a another issue where none of the speakers are on the display but appears to be related to the hdmi board. I tried the reset but of course nothing. I contacted Onkyo via the links in this thread and they gave me two options. A $250 credit towards another Onkyo (HA!) or they will repair it. I choose the repair it and they are sending out a box for me to ship it free of charge. Luckily this year, I replaced the Onkyo for a Marantz 8002a for my main system. The Onkyo resides as my bedroom receiver. The sad thing is once I get it repaired, the clock will start ticking knowing that in 2-4 years the Onkyo will breakdown again. I will post updates to share my experiences for you all.

Panasonic TC-P60GT30, Oppo UDP-203, Marantz AV8802a, Emotiva XPA-6 Gen 3, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3
Paradigm Signature S8v3, C5v3, S2v3, Studio 20v5, SIG-1.5Rv3(x4), and Rythmik FV15HP
post #2100 of 2819 Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong66 View Post
I had forgot to ask in my last post, a quick question for the gurus. I have read about people adding heat sinks to the HDMI chip in question, fans, etc. This is something I was thinking about today while looking through some of my parts pile. I found a fan.heat sink/heat pipe from an old laptop I parted out, its a small, quiet 5v fan with a Cu, fluid filled tube going to a heat sink that is just about the perfect size for the problem chip. I was told that the HDMI board I am getting back has been redesigned, new chip, etc so that this should never be an issue again. I also keep the Onkyo unit on the top of my rack so it gets plenty of fresh air, do those of you in the know think it would be worth putting this fan/heat pipe unit on when I get it back? I have lots of old power supplies laying around and the design/shape of this unit would let it exhaust right out the back. Any thought or comments are appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg
I think if you keep it on the top of the rack you'll be fine. Some have reported problems even when they've installed fans on their receivers. Enjoy it and try not to worry about it. Unfortunately for us, these Onkyo's receivers can die for other reasons beside the HDMI boards. Inadequate or faulty capacitors is another problem. I have a 876 that I've babied for years. I keep mine outside of my TV cabinet so it never gets too hot. It'll die eventually. I know it's only a matter of time and I won't loose sleep worrying about it. But when it does die, I doubt I'll buy another Onkyo receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page