Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1265Likes

post #2131 of 2830 Old 01-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiss View Post
I never had that option given to me, I would have taken that. How did you go about doing that?
Nemesiss, the potential return options are outlined in this thread. In fact, it is how I discovered my issue was widespread. Of course, one must have the original SC-1227-K to ship to Pioneer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2830 Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So frustrating ... finally sent my unit in for repair via Fedex last Monday. Didn't arrive at the destination until Friday. As of Monday evening it's still not logged into the Onkyo system as having been received for repair. Assuming it's not completely lost it still looks like this repair will take close to three weeks door-to-door. I'd seen others posting about quick turnarounds on repairs but I guess not for me...

Edit: Ok, logged in as of Tuesday, status: Modification Complete, Pending Return Shipment to Customer.

Last edited by Robisan; 02-07-2017 at 09:12 AM.
post #2133 of 2830 Old 02-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 626 has been having audio drop outs on all HDMI inputs for several months now. I initially out it down to routing my audio via my tv by hdmi audio return (ART?) but I have started routing my pc audio direct to the 626 by HDMI and it's still happening. Playing vinyl via the phono stage doesn't have any dropout. Neither does FM radio. I haven't tried bluteooth yet as its a pain in the backside to turn off once its on.

I bought my 626 from Richer Sounds in the UK and took a 5 year warranty with it. Is it time to exercise my warranty and return it for repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2830 Old 02-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm posting my information on my Integra 80.3 which is similar to all who posted here. No audio on the center channel from a HDMI source. Unit was sent in for repair under warranty last month and just received it back, still does exactly the same thing.

I'm wondering if they just replaced something and sent it back to me because I plugged it in, did the same thing.

Not happy with this company and the service has not been good. My problem started last July, what a long time to be living with a problem. To make it worse this was my second one because the first died from a bad HDMI board. I didn't know any better and just went out and purchased a brand new one.
post #2135 of 2830 Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I sent my unit in with failed HDMI about 2 years ago (HT-RC360), last month it failed again. Apparently you can not participate in the plan more than once (when I try to go to the page it says it has already been serviced). Apparently their fix just replaces the part that is prone to fail to being with...?
post #2136 of 2830 Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Karma View Post
I sent my unit in with failed HDMI about 2 years ago (HT-RC360), last month it failed again. Apparently you can not participate in the plan more than once (when I try to go to the page it says it has already been serviced). Apparently their fix just replaces the part that is prone to fail to being with...?
That is an 'online form' with a programed response, call them and explain the situation... let us know what they say.

Al
post #2137 of 2830 Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Karma View Post

Or in a case like mine, a 646, you are told the unit is not covered since it was purchased after the problem(s) were rectified but I can take it some place and have it fixed myself. LoL.

Thousands and thousands of posts here. Some fixed, some not. Some fixed and broke again with no possibility of fixing under warranty a 2nd time. Imo, all these things are time bombs just waiting to go off.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #2138 of 2830 Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Or in a case like mine, a 646, you are told the unit is not covered since it was purchased after the problem(s) were rectified but I can take it some place and have it fixed myself. LoL.

Thousands and thousands of posts here. Some fixed, some not. Some fixed and broke again with no possibility of fixing under warranty a 2nd time. Imo, all these things are time bombs just waiting to go off.
You are assuming that the failure in your AVR is due to the same part being addressed by this campaign... as for Guru we have not heard back yet that Onkyo has declined to repair it or if it is indeed the exact same failure, again particular to this specific warranty extension.

Al
post #2139 of 2830 Old 02-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Onkyo should fix even if it breaks again. no excuses. and remember next time think twice about Onkyo

not happy with it and still having problems email Jack Cooper

Jack Cooper
National Parts & Service Manager
[email protected]
post #2140 of 2830 Old 02-26-2017, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 115
i'm looking fo ra new 4K capable receiver, and onkyo is no longer on my list after my receiver fails to pass any HDMi any more.

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #2141 of 2830 Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I havent been on AVR in a long time but wish I had researched here before I purchsed a new receiver. I bought a TX-NR737 from Amazon about three weeks ago. I was really excited and thought it was going to be a major step up from the Harmon Kardon receiver that has served me without a glitch for the past 11 years. Back when I bought the HK receiver, Onkyo was a top brand so I was really excited to get this unit. I have had nothing but issues with it from the start. The internet connection is sporadic and the bluetooth function does not function at all. I have sporadic loss of sound from the HDMI port quite frequently, and video will occasionally black out for a few seconds. The unit refuses to pass through audio via HDMI in stand by mode 90% of the time even though I have all of the proper settings. I called technical support and hey told me they were unaware of any of these problems and had me do a factory reset which fixed the pass through issue until I powered the receiver into standby mode. Quite often the 737 will decide it doesnt want to recognize a particular audio codec when I put in a different bluray and reverts to PCM until I unplug the unit and plug it back in. Why this temporarily fixes it I have no idea. This is completely unacceptable to me as I have had Pioneer, HK, and Denon receivers in the past and have not had any issues with them at all. I have an email in progress with Onkyo support so I will keep my fingers crossed that they handle this in the proper manner.
post #2142 of 2830 Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 AM
etp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
She's so fine my 809. My 809 will not quit. Most likely it will in 2018

ETP
post #2143 of 2830 Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrane View Post
I havent been on AVR in a long time but wish I had researched here before I purchsed a new receiver. I bought a TX-NR737 from Amazon about three weeks ago. I was really excited and thought it was going to be a major step up from the Harmon Kardon receiver that has served me without a glitch for the past 11 years. Back when I bought the HK receiver, Onkyo was a top brand so I was really excited to get this unit. I have had nothing but issues with it from the start. The internet connection is sporadic and the bluetooth function does not function at all. I have sporadic loss of sound from the HDMI port quite frequently, and video will occasionally black out for a few seconds. The unit refuses to pass through audio via HDMI in stand by mode 90% of the time even though I have all of the proper settings. I called technical support and hey told me they were unaware of any of these problems and had me do a factory reset which fixed the pass through issue until I powered the receiver into standby mode. Quite often the 737 will decide it doesnt want to recognize a particular audio codec when I put in a different bluray and reverts to PCM until I unplug the unit and plug it back in. Why this temporarily fixes it I have no idea. This is completely unacceptable to me as I have had Pioneer, HK, and Denon receivers in the past and have not had any issues with them at all. I have an email in progress with Onkyo support so I will keep my fingers crossed that they handle this in the proper manner.
Sorry to hear about your problem with a new purchase, not sure why you would post in this thread as it has nothing to do with the original subject?

If only 3 weeks ago I would simply return it.
gene4ht likes this.

Al
post #2144 of 2830 Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the same HDMI issues with my Onkyo TX-NR818 that people have discussed here. Primary issue was HDMI issues when switching sources which would force me to power off & on the receiver to rectify. So I finally sent mine in for the repair a few weeks ago. They turned it around really quickly and I received it back in approximately a week. Put it back into the same setup and unfortunately it was exhibiting the same issues. I figured I would just live with it rather than getting it "fixed" yet again. Yesterday, video output through HDMI has suddenly failed. Audio out (from HDMI connected sources) works fine but again no video output. I have messages into Onkyo customer service about it but I don't hold out much hope of a satisfactory resolution now. Ugh.
post #2145 of 2830 Old 03-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Integra DHC 80.1 not covered but DIY repair successful

I have an Integra DHC 80.1 that I bought in March of 2010. Within a year of buying it, I could no longer install firmware updates (known problem with the HDMI board) but as of recent, I found I would not have any audio when first powering the unit up each day and would have to go through a power-up/power-down/power-up cycle to get audio. With the wife rightfully frustrated, today it got to the point where the audio was completely distorted. My current plan is to replace the pre-amp with anything other than an Onkyo/Integra product because I don't feel that a $2.5K pre-amp should fail within the first year or decay to disfunction ever...

All of that said, I decided to research it a bit and it seems there are two common problems - one being poor quality capacitors and the other being cold-solder joints on a DSP that eventually fail due to heat stress. In the image below, I circled the DSP I fixed in red.

I don't own a reflow station so I borrowed my wife's blow dryer and set it to maximum heat, maximum air and rotated it over the chip for 4 minutes. I gently pushed on the chip a couple times using pliers to try to reseat it and re-applied high heat for another 5 minutes. I let it cool, plugged it in and it is working perfectly (hard to believe). So apparently my unit suffered from a cold-solder SMD joint that I was able to fix by heating the chip up sufficiently to reflow the solder joint. This DIY repair will give me more than enough time to research a high-quality replacement but I will never buy or recommend Onkyo or Integra to anyone ever - inexcusably cheap electronics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	2020361  
post #2146 of 2830 Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacey View Post
I have an Integra DHC 80.1 that I bought in March of 2010. Within a year of buying it, I could no longer install firmware updates (known problem with the HDMI board) but as of recent, I found I would not have any audio when first powering the unit up each day and would have to go through a power-up/power-down/power-up cycle to get audio. With the wife rightfully frustrated, today it got to the point where the audio was completely distorted. My current plan is to replace the pre-amp with anything other than an Onkyo/Integra product because I don't feel that a $2.5K pre-amp should fail within the first year or decay to disfunction ever...

All of that said, I decided to research it a bit and it seems there are two common problems - one being poor quality capacitors and the other being cold-solder joints on a DSP that eventually fail due to heat stress. In the image below, I circled the DSP I fixed in red.

I don't own a reflow station so I borrowed my wife's blow dryer and set it to maximum heat, maximum air and rotated it over the chip for 4 minutes. I gently pushed on the chip a couple times using pliers to try to reseat it and re-applied high heat for another 5 minutes. I let it cool, plugged it in and it is working perfectly (hard to believe). So apparently my unit suffered from a cold-solder SMD joint that I was able to fix by heating the chip up sufficiently to reflow the solder joint. This DIY repair will give me more than enough time to research a high-quality replacement but I will never buy or recommend Onkyo or Integra to anyone ever - inexcusably cheap electronics!
Interesting story but you do understand that this thread does it have anything to do with capacitors or cold solder joints, but rather a specific chip failure?

Also curious why if your Integra started having problems within the first year that you did not submit it to Onkyo then for repair?
gene4ht likes this.

Al
post #2147 of 2830 Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem with a new purchase, not sure why you would post in this thread as it has nothing to do with the original subject?

If only 3 weeks ago I would simply return it.
Exactly...more than likely a defective unit...return or exchange it.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #2148 of 2830 Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
She's so fine my 809. My 809 will not quit. Most likely it will in 2018
Agree...had my 809 for 5 years w/o issue...upgraded for Atmos...new owner has had it for almost a year with no issue.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #2149 of 2830 Old 03-14-2017, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! I was coming here to post issues I was having with my HT-RC460 since I was getting no where on the official support forums. I'm experiencing both loss of audio over HDMI and network connectivity issues. The audio issues with HDMI just started happening recently and now it's gotten to the point where now I can only get audio using optical or coaxial. So I plugged in my SN# on the repair link from the first page and I'm eligible to either have the unit repaired or I can get it replaced with a TX-NR646 for $199. I'm leaning towards just getting the newer model but wanted to hear from others that chose this route and what their experience has been with the NR646. Is it worth the $200 to spend for it? It appears while it is a newer model, most places don't stock it now. I just don't want to end up getting something that has new issues I will eventually have to deal with. I'm hoping Onkyo fixed HDMI and Network issues and I won't run into them with the NR646....
post #2150 of 2830 Old 03-19-2017, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
When I got my 717 several years ago I noticed people having issues and up until last week thought I had escaped the problem, but not now.

Has anyone taken the upgrade rebate, Im considering the 810 but not sure.
post #2151 of 2830 Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Glad I found this thread

Board appears to have finally died on me tonight. Went ahead with the $200 trade-in, the deadline for which is March 31st, AKA this Friday.
post #2152 of 2830 Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! I was coming here to post issues I was having with my HT-RC460 since I was getting no where on the official support forums. I'm experiencing both loss of audio over HDMI and network connectivity issues. The audio issues with HDMI just started happening recently and now it's gotten to the point where now I can only get audio using optical or coaxial. So I plugged in my SN# on the repair link from the first page and I'm eligible to either have the unit repaired or I can get it replaced with a TX-NR646 for $199. I'm leaning towards just getting the newer model but wanted to hear from others that chose this route and what their experience has been with the NR646. Is it worth the $200 to spend for it? It appears while it is a newer model, most places don't stock it now. I just don't want to end up getting something that has new issues I will eventually have to deal with. I'm hoping Onkyo fixed HDMI and Network issues and I won't run into them with the NR646....

The HDMI/network problem referred to in this thread was caused by a specific DSP chip supplied by TI, the revised version was released to manufacturers in the second quarter of 2013 (approx. Sept), so any repair done after that time or any AVR manufactured using this chip built after this time should have the new chip...
gene4ht likes this.

Al
post #2153 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
The HDMI/network problem referred to in this thread was caused by a specific DSP chip supplied by TI, the revised version was released to manufacturers in the second quarter of 2013 (approx. Sept), so any repair done after that time or any AVR manufactured using this chip built after this time should have the new chip...
I am glad to hear about the revision to the board. I do hope that **really** fixes it this time.

Having had my 5008 repaired twice for the same trouble, I have personally lost confidence in Onkyo, and I have no doubt many feel the same way. IMHO, if a revised chip is really the fix, Onkyo ought to recall every receiver that has the faulty part and replace it. That may restore consumer confidence to those of us who have dealt with this. The unsuspecting consumer is their new customer, I'm done with them! Of course it is a numbers game. Many will last longer simply because they get less use, while others (people) will have moved on to a new AVR for the latest goodies before their Onkyo/Pioneer expires. As mentioned many times, we really won't know about the present models for a few years. I will not put my money down on the hope things are better, nor did I. I gave my freshly repaired AVR to my daughter and son in law. I never even took it back out of the box!

Just out of curiosity are there any units that were repaired for this particular issue since Sept. 2013, and then had another failure of the same piece? Just wondering.

John
post #2154 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
I am glad to hear about the revision to the board. I do hope that **really** fixes it this time.

Having had my 5008 repaired twice for the same trouble, I have personally lost confidence in Onkyo, and I have no doubt many feel the same way. IMHO, if a revised chip is really the fix, Onkyo ought to recall every receiver that has the faulty part and replace it. That may restore consumer confidence to those of us who have dealt with this. The unsuspecting consumer is their new customer, I'm done with them! Of course it is a numbers game. Many will last longer simply because they get less use, while others (people) will have moved on to a new AVR for the latest goodies before their Onkyo/Pioneer expires. As mentioned many times, we really won't know about the present models for a few years. I will not put my money down on the hope things are better, nor did I. I gave my freshly repaired AVR to my daughter and son in law. I never even took it back out of the box!

Just out of curiosity are there any units that were repaired for this particular issue since Sept. 2013, and then had another failure of the same piece? Just wondering.

John

I too have my 3007 repaired twice, the first time was before the admission by TI that they had a supplied a defective DSP chip, so the first repair did not last for long, a change was done to lower the voltage to the chip and reduce the pre-mature aging, the HDMI board was modified but never replaced. The second failure in 2014 was fixed by a HDMI board replacment that included a new DSP chip, in my AVR this has been good ever since.

I don't know if there have been any 'confirmed' failures of the new HDMI/DSP chip combinations...

Al
post #2155 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM

My 626 just started with the no audio issue 2 days ago, I had to either switch off or switch inputs to (sometimes) get the audio back. I Googled this and found that Onkyo knows of this issue and will repair or give you a 646 for $200. I am glad that it happened this week as the offer ends on March 31st....... Already processed through website for return of 626 and ordered 646. Bye bye 626, hello 646.
post #2156 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz View Post
My 626 just started with the no audio issue 2 days ago, I had to either switch off or switch inputs to (sometimes) get the audio back. I Googled this and found that Onkyo knows of this issue and will repair or give you a 646 for $200. I am glad that it happened this week as the offer ends on March 31st....... Already processed through website for return of 626 and ordered 646. Bye bye 626, hello 646.

It sounds like a good deal, and they seem to give you a newer version of the outgoing model?

Maybe they have decided that a replacement of the receiver is easier them the repair, or maybe they need donor machines?

Al
post #2157 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldaII View Post
Have you had yours repaired yet, or still waiting? If you still have an open ticket with them I would definitely do as you suggested and request the TXNR656 based on the current issues the TXNR646 is having. They told me the 656 has been tested and does not have the issue that the 646 has. It may have other issues but not the loss of audio after pause/ffw DVR. I'm going with Denon or Marantz in the future. I do however, greatly appreciate their efforts to make it right, but I've now had two Onkyo's in a row with audio issues.
Do you have the phone number? I just ordered a replacement 646...
post #2158 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz View Post
Do you have the phone number? I just ordered a replacement 646...

tech support 1-800-229-1687
I submitted my request via email on the onkyo support page .
post #2159 of 2830 Old 03-30-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
well my 646 after two months of use i had to send it out for repair yesterday for no audio!!! Also the first rep i spoke to about this issue was very rude would even let me talk a supervisor. The second rep i talk to was way more understanding and even took the time out to try diagnose the problem. Still cant believe my brand new receiver stop working after two months of use. The second rep told me the 646 is the newer model and does not have the same problem as the older model 2009-2012 but the no audio seems to be similar to some of problems the older models where having. Is there anyone with a 646 had this problem before? thanks.
post #2160 of 2830 Old 04-02-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No sound issue resolution - which way to go?

I'm new hear. Found this thread after researching my no sound issue I'm experiencing with my tx-nr509. I checked and it's covered under the free repair or pay and upgrade plan.

I was going to upgrade, it now it seems their are issues with the tx-nr646. Thoughts, or more importantly anyone have specific experience with my unit or the 646 that is being offered for an upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page