Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1259Likes

post #2431 of 2796 Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnapper View Post
The above is CORRECT, Onkyo DOES NOT want your old broken unit returned to them only the serial number off the back of the unit. I talked to them today for a while so they could verify my order and they were very helpful.

I can't imagine Onkyo wants out of date old receivers back it would only create a nightmare as it cost to repair them and there is no market for the old units. I'm happy Onkyo is doing this and I hope the new unit last longer than the one I currently have. Funny but ALL my old stuff still works my 1990's NAD power amps are perfect, my old velodyne sub is great and my Rotel RSX-1065 sits in it's box because I don't know what to do with it, but it works great. I have no idea why this new stuff isn't built to last, but then again I think everything is that way now from home appliances to cars....
What number did you call them at? 1-800-229-1687 ?

Thanks!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2796 Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well... got my 818 back after 2 weeks... back to running and we will see how long before... well nothing I hope... Wish I could have traded in but no money is no money and glad that Onkyo came thru on this for free. Crossing my fingers now.

LG 55LW5600 / Roku3 / Logitech 520
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B (mains), HTM61 (center)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Surrounds), Polk F/XiA4 (Rear Surrounds)
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2433 of 2796 Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Ok...I fumbled around and found the direct link.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/

Tried it and apparently I'm SOL. It says "This Serial/Unit does not need this update."

Really makes me sour on Onkyo products. It's my second Onkyo AVR and both had issues.
I just did the same on my Integra DTR-40.2 and got the same message. Now I have two Integra boot ankers.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2796 Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just submitted the order to replace my TX-NR609. I am extremely happy I consulted AVS Forums before I went out and replaced this unit. Hope to have my home theater up and running soon.

CIH Wannabe...one step at a time
post #2435 of 2796 Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not so sure Onkyo is wrong. I ordered a replacement unit (RZ1100). Then they said it was out of stock until Dec, so they offered a different unit, a RZ3100 for just $100 more. Can't beat that, just for resale value alone! Maybe they will offer you another choice.

The new unit arrives today!

I'm very happy with this whole replacement program.
post #2436 of 2796 Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Perhaps you got the Nov 15 email where they accidentally put about 20 folks' emails in a visible place (ie not bcc). They said they were in short supply. Sorry! Were you originally in place to get an RZ1100? I responded that day, and now I'm in luck 6 days later. So that's my timing. I guess no upgrading from a rz3100, unless they throw something else in.

Here's the email:

Dear Valued Customer,

Due to popular demand and a system error on available inventory, unfortunately the TX-RZ1100 is not available for Trade-In through our Special Service/Customer Care Program at the current moment.
It will be available again approximately at the end of November.

We are therefore providing you with the following options:

a) Wait until the end of November and the item will ship to you as soon as it becomes available (approximate ship date by first week of December / S.T.C.)
b) Upgrade to TX-RZ3100 for an additional $100.00 charge (LIMITED AVAILABILITY/ WHILE SUPPLIES LAST).
c) Cancel the order and choose the free repair option for your current unit

Please let us know which option you wish to choose by emailing us @ [email protected]
We will hold your order open until you contact us with directions on how to proceed accordingly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, and we do appreciate your business.
post #2437 of 2796 Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3007 stopped having audio to all the channels. Thanks to this forum, I did a trade in for the new 3100 AV receiver.

Hope the 3100 is MUCH better than the 3007 and will last. Anyone have experience wit the RZ3100?

Also, can you guys confirm when it ships, all we need to do is send them back the serial number label on the back of the old defective receiver? Nothing else?
post #2438 of 2796 Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM

That is what I just did. You stick them on the Trade In form that you can print out. I scanned it for my records, and sent it certified mail. You have to get it to them within 10 days of receiving your replacement or you get charged MSRP (!!! gulp)
post #2439 of 2796 Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears t2 View Post
Well... got my 818 back after 2 weeks... back to running and we will see how long before... well nothing I hope... Wish I could have traded in but no money is no money and glad that Onkyo came thru on this for free. Crossing my fingers now.
I sent mine in for the free repair in April of 2015 and it has not had a problem since (knock on wood). Hopefully mine is representative of all the repairs and you will be good to go.

post #2440 of 2796 Old 12-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
what about (poo) owners outside the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
So I may be SOL as well if what you say is correct, since my receiver had been repaired once. Well now, that sucks! I will be contacting Onkyo in the next couple of days so I'll report back here.

John
You guys in the US, with a decent customer service organisation, should count yourselves as fortunate - spare a thought for us overseas owners who have no such redress support from Onkyo..

CD in NZ
post #2441 of 2796 Old 12-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobreAVS View Post
You guys in the US, with a decent customer service organisation, should count yourselves as fortunate - spare a thought for us overseas owners who have no such redress support from Onkyo..

CD in NZ
I truly feel for ya! Personally, Unless something changes, I'm through with Onkyo. I replaced my Onkyo with a Marantz. I returned my Onkyo for repair, (The Second Time), got it back and gave it to my daughter and her husband.

John
post #2442 of 2796 Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Geeze how did I miss this thread? I will never buy another Onkyo POS product ever!! I had a Onkyo TX-NR906 that crapped out on me (HDMI board) after a couple years or so. It's still in my garage collecting dust after many years. Onkyo, you suck ass!!!!
azz7686 likes this.

Last edited by Maximus330I; 12-06-2017 at 10:36 PM.
post #2443 of 2796 Old 12-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
I wonder if this impacted there Integra line as well?
-palmsprings_shirl
post #2444 of 2796 Old 12-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes integra as well... So called high quality units..
post #2445 of 2796 Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmspringsshirl View Post
I wonder if this impacted there Integra line as well?
-palmsprings_shirl
Yes, enter your serial number into the link provided and it will tell you if it is still under warranty. Mine is not unfortunately.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #2446 of 2796 Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Repair didn't work, Onkyo Denies looking at it further

I was selling & installing Onkyo between 2008 and 2013. They had a great local rep and I loved the distributor.

Unfortunately I had no less than 8 of the 616, 626 and 717s fail (various issues) within the first few years. The repaired them but it was a pain and didn't bode well with my customers.

I had a 616 in my closet bedroom (properly ventilated) for 4 years when it lost audio. I sent it in about 6 months later and they repaired it under this program. Took me another few months to install...the problem was not fixed.

I contacted them a few times over the past few weeks and they said sorry, we aren't taking another look at it. Their poor quality is why I switched away from them. I can only imagine how many of these ended up prematurely in landfills.

Sad. I was loyal to them for 15 years.
post #2447 of 2796 Old 12-15-2017, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My NR555 wont show a picture from any HDMI port. I can't even do the network music or see the settings on the screen. I tried a factory reset on it and now the receiver display just shows --See TV--. Onkyo's support numbers only seem to be available when I'm at work. What can I do? This is stressing me out.
post #2448 of 2796 Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had my Onkyo NR709 repaired a year or two ago due to this known defect, and it's been flaking again for some time with a faulty HDMI signal.

As far as I understand, it's still within the warranty period until 2018, but I'm having trouble connecting with the right Onkyo customer service folks to agree to fix or trade in this Onkyo NR709. I've been a loyal customer of Onkyo for years and to receive this type of customer service was disappointing. Does Onkyo repair or trade in its repaired receivers?
post #2449 of 2796 Old 12-23-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post
My NR555 wont show a picture from any HDMI port. I can't even do the network music or see the settings on the screen. I tried a factory reset on it and now the receiver display just shows --See TV--. Onkyo's support numbers only seem to be available when I'm at work. What can I do? This is stressing me out.
I would start by downloading the latest firmware from the Onkyo site and then using a USB memory stick, install it on your system. This issue could be a hardware issue or a firmware issue. Upgrading the firmware is the easiest way to reduce the number of variables.
post #2450 of 2796 Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So back for more here. If you've been part of this thread for longer than a couple months, I had posted back in early August with issues with my HT-R390. Classic issues of no audio output and originally if left running for 10-15 minutes it would kick in and work fine as long as it was left on. Onkyo was able to take it in for repair at no cost to me which I am very pleased with.

However that repair seems to be all for naught at this point. As of the past couple weeks it has been acting up again. Same symptoms except leaving it on wont do anything. I've had it on for a good half hour to an hour and no change. And this is on all inputs including the speaker levels menu.

What I have found however is cycling it off and on repeatedly it eventually will kick in even when cold and will remain active as long as left on.

I have read some of the newer pages about trade-ins and given the short lived repair on mine, I'm considering trying to push for that end. I do have a couple questions for those who have taken the offer:

1) Has Onkyo taken in older units such as these for trade-in?
2) Anyone with HTIB systems had to do this? And do they just take the receiver or the full system? My main concern here is my HTIB has a passive sub and seems everyone has moved to active subs recently.
3) What kind of prices have they been offering on trade-ins?

post #2451 of 2796 Old 12-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post
So back for more here. If you've been part of this thread for longer than a couple months, I had posted back in early August with issues with my HT-R390. Classic issues of no audio output and originally if left running for 10-15 minutes it would kick in and work fine as long as it was left on. Onkyo was able to take it in for repair at no cost to me which I am very pleased with.

However that repair seems to be all for naught at this point. As of the past couple weeks it has been acting up again. Same symptoms except leaving it on wont do anything. I've had it on for a good half hour to an hour and no change. And this is on all inputs including the speaker levels menu.

What I have found however is cycling it off and on repeatedly it eventually will kick in even when cold and will remain active as long as left on.

I have read some of the newer pages about trade-ins and given the short lived repair on mine, I'm considering trying to push for that end. I do have a couple questions for those who have taken the offer:

1) Has Onkyo taken in older units such as these for trade-in?
2) Anyone with HTIB systems had to do this? And do they just take the receiver or the full system? My main concern here is my HTIB has a passive sub and seems everyone has moved to active subs recently.
3) What kind of prices have they been offering on trade-ins?

1)Onkyo has NOT taken in older units, they don't want them back.
2)I do not own HTIB
3)I finally received my RZ3100 yesterday after a month delay, I paid $800(the difference between my 5008 retail and 3100 retail price.
4) I stumbled across this thread after my 5008 started freaking out(no speaker read out on display, major crackle ripping sounds through my left channels)it was scary as I thought my speakers were getting damaged. So I googled the ribbon cable recall, found this thread and I'm glad I did.

I set up the 3100 in no time at all, fairly simple with no(HDMI)handshake issues as experienced with my 5008. WIFI set up was quick and showing all firmware up to date. I like the EQ set up, but not quite the speaker placement options(mostly my speaker placement problem)as I'm not willing to relocate my out dated placements so I went with 5.2.2 and it sounds fine. I've been running the unit with several sources and one thing I notice right off the bat is the unit does not get hot to the touch like the 5008 did. The 3100 also has a built-in fan to aid in cooling, not a concern for me as I have an open rack that offers plenty of ventilation. My only gripe is the remote sucks, but my 5008 remote controls the 3100 without any reprogramming needed.

Last edited by Shnapper; 12-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.
post #2452 of 2796 Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone know if my TX-NR705 falls under this recall? I believe I have the NO sound issue as well as it quit on me a few months ago.
My S/N sequence seems to be too short (10 letters/numbers with a P at the end).
The online site/link was looking for a 16 digit #
I purchased my 705 back in Jan 2008 from Amazon.
I would like to upgrade to a 4k/Atmos AVR
thanks

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #2453 of 2796 Old 12-31-2017, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So I lost the sound on my Onkyo 707 today, it was having intermittent drops on video and audio for a few weeks. It has previously been repaired by Onkyo in 2012 out of warranty. After a few minutes of warming up I got video back though.

I tried clearing the receiver and setting up speakers again and had no sound at all from any source, not even test tones in setup. Hooking up the Audyssey mic and got "waiting" flashing on screen.

So I looked at a few posts and videos about reflowing the dts chip and was going to try this myself and buy another receiver if I was unsuccessful. I came across this thread while looking for reflow procedures and though let me try put my serial number in at the Onkyo repair website and see if they will offer a repair again. I was presented with three options trade in for a RZ920 for $699, get a rebate, or get a repair. The initial repair lasted about 5 yrs albeit with video loss issues every once in a while in the last couple years and becoming unbearable in the last few weeks.

I was planning to get a Denon x2400 (deals around $450 popping up from time to time) if the reflow had failed and put the 707 to rest. But now I am wondering of the RZ920 is worth the upgrade, at best this is a $450 discount and at worst $250 considering recent price drops as low as $950 for the RZ.

Currently the 707 is used for home theater in a dedicated room with a 7.1 setup, and I have a couple of in wall speakers lying around which I could possibly hook as the height speakers (in ceiling probably). The display is a 1080p Epson 9350 projector which I don't pan to upgrade anytime soon.

Considering that Onkyo is wiling to repair the 707 again for free I won't try to reflow the chip myself.

So options are:

1. Get the 707 repaired and keep - Free (maybe some costs to mail, but last time around I was able to take it to the local authorized repair shop)
2. Get the 707 repaired and upgrade Denon x2400 - $450-$500, I can find use for the 707 in another room (I would add a heat sink on the 707 of course)
3. Trade the 707 for a RZ920 - $699 (supposed price increase on Jan 1) + shipping, is the RZ920 that much better than a Denon x2400, considering option 2? I see a report above that Onkyo does not want broken units, just the serial number label, I suppose I could try to repair it myself in that case.

Appreciate your thoughts.
post #2454 of 2796 Old 12-31-2017, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by adahm View Post
So I lost the sound on my Onkyo 707 today, it was having intermittent drops on video and audio for a few weeks. It has previously been repaired by Onkyo in 2012 out of warranty. After a few minutes of warming up I got video back though.

I tried clearing the receiver and setting up speakers again and had no sound at all from any source, not even test tones in setup. Hooking up the Audyssey mic and got "waiting" flashing on screen.

So I looked at a few posts and videos about reflowing the dts chip and was going to try this myself and buy another receiver if I was unsuccessful. I came across this thread while looking for reflow procedures and though let me try put my serial number in at the Onkyo repair website and see if they will offer a repair again. I was presented with three options trade in for a RZ920 for $699, get a rebate, or get a repair. The initial repair lasted about 5 yrs albeit with video loss issues every once in a while in the last couple years and becoming unbearable in the last few weeks.

I was planning to get a Denon x2400 (deals around $450 popping up from time to time) if the reflow had failed and put the 707 to rest. But now I am wondering of the RZ920 is worth the upgrade, at best this is a $450 discount and at worst $250 considering recent price drops as low as $950 for the RZ.

Currently the 707 is used for home theater in a dedicated room with a 7.1 setup, and I have a couple of in wall speakers lying around which I could possibly hook as the height speakers (in ceiling probably). The display is a 1080p Epson 9350 projector which I don't pan to upgrade anytime soon.

Considering that Onkyo is wiling to repair the 707 again for free I won't try to reflow the chip myself.

So options are:

1. Get the 707 repaired and keep - Free (maybe some costs to mail, but last time around I was able to take it to the local authorized repair shop)
2. Get the 707 repaired and upgrade Denon x2400 - $450-$500, I can find use for the 707 in another room (I would add a heat sink on the 707 of course)
3. Trade the 707 for a RZ920 - $699 (supposed price increase on Jan 1) + shipping, is the RZ920 that much better than a Denon x2400, considering option 2? I see a report above that Onkyo does not want broken units, just the serial number label, I suppose I could try to repair it myself in that case.

Appreciate your thoughts.

The problem is the chip on the HDMI board is defective and Texas Instruments agreed to replace the HDMI boards that have a newer chip. Reflowing the chip will not help. When your board was replaced before that board still had the defective chip on it. You might as well send it in for repair. I sent mine in 3 years ago next month and it is working great. I have the 609.

Also if you go with the ATMOS setup with a newer receiver you will lose your rear speakers as they are used as the height speakers. You will need to go to a receiver that can support nine speakers at once if you still want to use the back speakers.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #2455 of 2796 Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've had bad experiences with both the 656 and 777 models as well. Both have handshake issues with 4K HDR. I'm glad I returned my 777 and sold my 656 b/c from the looks of these recalls and problems with older models, it would have been a long time or maybe never until they fixed those models.
post #2456 of 2796 Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamerk View Post
I've had bad experiences with both the 656 and 777 models as well. Both have handshake issues with 4K HDR. I'm glad I returned my 777 and sold my 656 b/c from the looks of these recalls and problems with older models, it would have been a long time or maybe never until they fixed those models.
I would avoid anything UHD/HDR until there is some settled on standard. There is a number of devices that are having handshake and color space issues. Neither UHD or HDR have a finalized engineered standard and this adds to compatibility issues between devices. I understand now that there is a newer HDMI standard to be implemented in the next couple of years so might as well wait until all those problems get worked out.
Right now it is Caveat Emptor with UHD/HDR.....Buyer Beware.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #2457 of 2796 Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 AM

The other issue here is that the 707 uses the older 300Mhz version of the DSP chip. Not only do these tend to fail more often than the 400Mhz versions (which Onkyo started using in the x09 generation), TI never released a true "fixed" version for this chip. I ran into this last year when I was fixing an NR708 and out of frustration, eventually called TI directly. They informed me that the "B" rev part was the only available solution and that they did not produce an update. I ended up buying some of these from their authorized End Of Life Distributor (Rochester Electronics). The new parts work great and I will probably get 6-8 years out them but they will eventually wear out again and I will need to replace them.

Note to people with this part (707, 708, 807, 808, 3007, 5007, DTR40.2, DTR50.2), it probably isn't a great idea to configure the system for things like HDMI pass-through (where the receiver will pass the HDMI signal through to the TV when the receiver is turned off) or Network Standby (where the network connection stays on even when the receiver is off). The reason is that setting either (or both) of these two items to "on", the DSP chip will remain powered at all times. I suspect that this contributes to the "wear out" issue in these chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
The problem is the chip on the HDMI board is defective and Texas Instruments agreed to replace the HDMI boards that have a newer chip. Reflowing the chip will not help. When your board was replaced before that board still had the defective chip on it. You might as well send it in for repair. I sent mine in 3 years ago next month and it is working great. I have the 609.

Also if you go with the ATMOS setup with a newer receiver you will lose your rear speakers as they are used as the height speakers. You will need to go to a receiver that can support nine speakers at once if you still want to use the back speakers.
post #2458 of 2796 Old 12-31-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamerk View Post
What did you replace tge 777 and 656 with?

Any thoughts the rz920?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
post #2459 of 2796 Old 01-01-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post
The other issue here is that the 707 uses the older 300Mhz version of the DSP chip. Not only do these tend to fail more often than the 400Mhz versions (which Onkyo started using in the x09 generation), TI never released a true "fixed" version for this chip. I ran into this last year when I was fixing an NR708 and out of frustration, eventually called TI directly. They informed me that the "B" rev part was the only available solution and that they did not produce an update. I ended up buying some of these from their authorized End Of Life Distributor (Rochester Electronics). The new parts work great and I will probably get 6-8 years out them but they will eventually wear out again and I will need to replace them.

Note to people with this part (707, 708, 807, 808, 3007, 5007, DTR40.2, DTR50.2), it probably isn't a great idea to configure the system for things like HDMI pass-through (where the receiver will pass the HDMI signal through to the TV when the receiver is turned off) or Network Standby (where the network connection stays on even when the receiver is off). The reason is that setting either (or both) of these two items to "on", the DSP chip will remain powered at all times. I suspect that this contributes to the "wear out" issue in these chips.
TJ, Is this the setting that you are referring to?

Control
This setting enables or disables control over the network.
Enable: Control over the network enabled.
Disable: Control over the network disabled.
Note:
When set to “Enable”, power consumption on standby
mode slightly increases.

Al
post #2460 of 2796 Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
TJ, Is this the setting that you are referring to?

Control
This setting enables or disables control over the network.
Enable: Control over the network enabled.
Disable: Control over the network disabled.
Note:
When set to “Enable”, power consumption on standby
mode slightly increases.
Yes sir. What they don't state is that the "power consumption" increases because with this setting the DSP subsystem is powered on at all times. Since this is the part that wears out, having it running 7x24 (even if it isn't being accessed), is going to age the chip.

As an additional data-point, Onkyo provides a "back door" that allows a service center to debug this chip. It has been documented on the web how to access the DSP through this backdoor. I spent some time playing with this and was a little surprised to find that the TI chip is actually running on a Linux operating system and it is possible to open a console shell from a PC. While kinda cool in a geeky way, anyone who works with Linux knows that it is always doing something and will typically have a dozen or more processes running even if nobody is using it. As such, having it turned on and running all the time can't be good for the long term health of a chip that has a wear-out issue.

HTH
Todd
Al Sherwood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page