Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1259Likes

Old 01-02-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post
Anyone know if my TX-NR705 falls under this recall? I believe I have the NO sound issue as well as it quit on me a few months ago.
My S/N sequence seems to be too short (10 letters/numbers with a P at the end).
The online site/link was looking for a 16 digit #
I purchased my 705 back in Jan 2008 from Amazon.
I would like to upgrade to a 4k/Atmos AVR
thanks
From the 1st post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgater View Post
receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

Your TX-SR705 is not a network receiver, so no it is not covered by this. Also, look at the dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another bad TX-NR626 here.

So, I put in the serial number of my 626 and of course it says the fix is not needed. What is their explanation for why I for why I lose sound if it's not a problem? Mine was a refurb which, if it did have the bad parts, probably had them replaced during the refurb. I'm assuming they used another bad part when it was replaced. Doesn't make sense to me why they shouldn't fix it when it has the obvious problem everyone is talking about.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
The problem is the chip on the HDMI board is defective and Texas Instruments agreed to replace the HDMI boards that have a newer chip. Reflowing the chip will not help. When your board was replaced before that board still had the defective chip on it. You might as well send it in for repair. I sent mine in 3 years ago next month and it is working great. I have the 609.

Also if you go with the ATMOS setup with a newer receiver you will lose your rear speakers as they are used as the height speakers. You will need to go to a receiver that can support nine speakers at once if you still want to use the back speakers.
I have a 609 I recently picked up used. It is in excellent condition and seems to work fine. I do not know if it failed previously and the owner had it repaired. Is there a way to determine which TI chip is on the HDMI board?

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I have a 609 I recently picked up used. It is in excellent condition and seems to work fine. I do not know if it failed previously and the owner had it repaired. Is there a way to determine which TI chip is on the HDMI board?
If you look down through the top of the receiver you can see the TI chip on the HDMI board and there should be a sticker on the chip. I think it should have a b or d on it. There is a post with pictures in this thread. You can also try to enter the serial number of the unit on the recall page to see if it has been done yet.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you look down through the top of the receiver you can see the TI chip on the HDMI board and there should be a sticker on the chip. I think it should have a b or d on it. There is a post with pictures in this thread. You can also try to enter the serial number of the unit on the recall page to see if it has been done yet.
Many thanks. When I first got this receiver and subsequently learned of the issues with this vintage Onkyo receivers, I did check the Onkyo website to see if this unit was covered by the extended warranty - and it said "yes". But I did not see anything about a recall. If it has the original chip is it then subject to a recall? I am out of town, but will check the chip itself when I get home early next week. Hopefully this receiver isn't a headache waiting to happen.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Rich86; 01-05-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Many thanks. When I first got this receiver and subsequently learned of the issues with this vintage Onkyo receivers, I did check the Onkyo website to see if this unit was covered by the extended warranty - and it said "yes". But I did not see anything about a recall. If it has the original chip is it then subject to a recall? I am out of town, but will check the chip itself when I get home early next week. Hopefully this receiver isn't a headache waiting to happen.
Thanks again.

I wouldn't have known about the repair if it wasn't for this thread. I lost my network connection and had no sound from my speakers. If your receiver has been done already it would be rejected on the recall page.
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/
The process takes about 2 weeks as first they will send you a box with packing material to mail it back to them for repair. The when completed it will be sent back to you. FedEx handles the shipping and it is important that some one be home when the receiver is shipped back as it requires a signature.
I had mine done three years ago this month and so far no issues. This repair ends this year so if eligible get it sent in as soon as possible.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't have known about the repair if it wasn't for this thread. I lost my network connection and had no sound from my speakers. If your receiver has been done already it would be rejected on the recall page.
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/
The process takes about 2 weeks as first they will send you a box with packing material to mail it back to them for repair. The when completed it will be sent back to you. FedEx handles the shipping and it is important that some one be home when the receiver is shipped back as it requires a signature.
I had mine done three years ago this month and so far no issues. This repair ends this year so if eligible get it sent in as soon as possible.
Thanks. That site seems to say the receiver is not subject to a recall, but is eligible to be repaired if it is currently experiencing problems. In my case, the receiver is working perfectly fine. I will check the chip version when I get back home and hopefully determine if it is the problematic version or not & go from there.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got my 3 TX-8050 receivers back from recall repair, and looking inside (through the vent grills) the internals look brand new. The volume controls are also very stiff as if new too. I checked and they all have the latest Onkyo published firmware levels for this model installed. Everything works perfectly.

So very impressive recall service support from Onkyo. Looks like they’re trying hard to make up for their disruptions and customer inconveniences. I had hoped to be eligible for the trade-in option, but apparently not this model. But the repair path was excellent.

Just a note. The trade-in option ends in 2018, but the repair option it seems ended last year (2017). So my impression is if the receiver only qualified for the repair, it might not be covered after 12/31/17.

Last edited by RF8655; 01-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post

Note to people with this part (707, 708, 807, 808, 3007, 5007, DTR40.2, DTR50.2), it probably isn't a great idea to configure the system for things like HDMI pass-through (where the receiver will pass the HDMI signal through to the TV when the receiver is turned off) or Network Standby (where the network connection stays on even when the receiver is off). The reason is that setting either (or both) of these two items to "on", the DSP chip will remain powered at all times. I suspect that this contributes to the "wear out" issue in these chips.
I think that's the reason my 1007 held out almost 8 year (got it in January 2010, got the no sound/network issue ~4 weeks ago). Almost the first thing I did when I got the uni was to set the video processor to off (because of the 24fps bug of the SI chip) and Network standby to off. Got lucky it died 2 weeks before the repair window closed so I sent my 1007 back to my local Onkyo repair center, since it was the holidays it took a bit longer but I finally got it back last week only to have the dreaded HD Audio bug where True HD and DTS HD audio intermittendly drops out after a while which has been reported in the 1007 owner's thread (it never occured once in all the 8 years before the repair). I contacted Onkyo once more and they'll repair it again free of charge. I also found the Onkyo "Tips and Trick" memo with the suggested solution to the HD Audio problem, printed it and sent it along. Here's hoping my trusty 1007 gets back soon and fully works again. It has to hold out at least until HDMI 2.1 receivers are out since I don't want to repeat my mistake when I got the 1007 and a few months later 3D came out and I could not process it through the 1007.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears t2 View Post
Well... got my 818 back after 2 weeks... back to running and we will see how long before... well nothing I hope... Wish I could have traded in but no money is no money and glad that Onkyo came thru on this for free. Crossing my fingers now.
I have an 818 running my Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom (HDMI Main + Sub for 2 displays; 2 channel Stereo for both Main Zone + Zone 2) that failed about 2 months ago with the network + no sound problem. I purchased it new in Fall 2013 I believe, so it took about 4 years to fail.

Glad Onkyo is still supporting it with the recall. I chose the free repair option (RZ920, no thanks). I have another previous Onkyo (SR602 from 2005 sitting in one of my closets unused) that also needed a warranty repair. I will continue to use my NR818 once it's repaired, but absolutely will not purchase another Onkyo AVR again. I don't believe they have high build quality, which is very important to me.

Instead, I'm exclusively looking only at Marantz and Anthem for my 11.2 channel AVR I'll need later this year or early 2019 for my theater room. I have 2 other Marantz AVRs running 2 other rooms, and they work solid and have a warmer sound that I like more.

Anyway, I will say props to Onkyo for supporting this recall program for this long.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just a note. The trade-in option ends in 2018, but the repair option it seems ended last year (2017). So my impression is if the receiver only qualified for the repair, it might not be covered after 12/31/17.
Mine failed today. The return for free repair process has begun. Note that my experience was just the opposite: the rebate option was not currently available (and neither was the $1400 for a new TX-RZ920, either), but the repair option was available.

I had a 606 repaired (HDMI board) under a special warranty program years ago, and it's still working fine. I hope the 709 will follow suit.

That said, two Onkyos and two failures? Seems excessive. Only thing is, when they work they work great. Until they don't.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post
Mine failed today. The return for free repair process has begun. Note that my experience was just the opposite: the rebate option was not currently available (and neither was the $1400 for a new TX-RZ920, either), but the repair option was available.

I had a 606 repaired (HDMI board) under a special warranty program years ago, and it's still working fine. I hope the 709 will follow suit.

That said, two Onkyos and two failures? Seems excessive. Only thing is, when they work they work great. Until they don't.
It actually wasn’t opposite my process with Onkyo, but exactly the same. No trade-in option offered, only repair (which worked out very well). But good you still qualified. I’m surprised they’re offering repairs into the new year, despite that their service program description page seems to say repairs end in 2017 (only trade-ins through 2018).

Yes, I agree. So many failures across so many Onkyo receiver lines is disturbing. It makes one think twice when it comes time for future purchase.

Last edited by RF8655; 01-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF8655 View Post
It actually wasn’t opposite my process with Onkyo, but exactly the same. No trade-in option offered, only repair (which worked out very well). But good you still qualified. I’m surprised they’re offering repairs into the new year, despite that their service program description page seems to say repairs end in 2017 (only trade-ins through 2018).

Yes, I agree. So many failures across so many Onkyo receiver lines is disturbing. It makes one think twice when it comes time for future purchase.
Exactly....my Onky876 hdmi board is pooched...no recall and it appears to be a big issue with this model over the years...sorta hit and miss... went and got a Denon this time cause from what i could gather intel on, the problem is still ongoing for most onkyo models... So i am super happy 3 weeks in with the Denon....now that being said, my onkyo lasted a good 9 years before it konked out.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexic View Post
Exactly....my Onky876 hdmi board is pooched...no recall and it appears to be a big issue with this model over the years...sorta hit and miss... went and got a Denon this time cause from what i could gather intel on, the problem is still ongoing for most onkyo models... So i am super happy 3 weeks in with the Denon....now that being said, my onkyo lasted a good 9 years before it konked out.
Good to hear the new Denon is looking good... a reputable brand. As a note, while my TX-8050 was at Onkyo for repair, I dug out my 15-20 year old TX-8211 as temporary subsititute. It still works beautifully. Clear FM radio and solid, quiet, discrete 4 ohm capable amp. If it wasn’t for lacking network features, I’d just keep it up and running as the main receiver.

Which leads me to the conclusion that the more complex the features and chips, the more prone to failure, as was and is the case with Onkyo’s line of network and HDMI receivers. Sometimes, simplicity has its virtues.
azz7686 likes this.

Last edited by RF8655; 01-15-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Note: if it has the sticker, it will have "New" printed on it. Otherwise, the only way to determine the rev (as you suggest) is to look at the markings on the chip itself. If it has:

D830K013BZKB4 - it is the version that will fail eventually
D830K013DZKB4 - is the version that fixes the issue

HTH.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Heads up on recall, My Integra DTR70.4 started acting up last week. I stopped getting sound from my surround speakers on the two HDMI inputs that I use the most. The only way to get sound from them was to set it for all channel stereo. Then last night I lost all sound when using my HTPC. I was having other issues with JRMC so I of course blamed it on it and the Win 10 update I had just downloaded. I finally switched to a different on the AVR and the sound came back. I went on the website and it said my receiver was not covered. I contacted customer support and explained my problems, gave them my serial number and they are sending a return box and are repairing it under warranty. Needless to say this made my day.

HTPC, Win 10 Home, Intel I7-2600, GTX950, 8 GB ram, JRiver Media Center, AVR, Integra DRX-R1.1 Atmos, TV, LG OLED B6 65, DVR/Bluray, Oppo UHD-203 . Speakers, Klipsch Reference series, 7.1.2, [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Trade-in or Repair?

I just had the dreaded "loss of sound" issue today on my TX-NR515. I purchased in September of 2012 for $329 from Amazon. I went to the support page and the current options are repair or upgrade to a new TX-NR656 for $199 or a TX-NR646 for $149. I tried comparing the specs but honestly its overwhelming. I don't know what half of this stuff even means. Any thoughts/advice? I was leaning toward the repair but then I realized that this unit is at about 6 years old at this point so maybe the trade-in models provided some meaningful feature updates.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps6fsu View Post
I just had the dreaded "loss of sound" issue today on my TX-NR515. I purchased in September of 2012 for $329 from Amazon. I went to the support page and the current options are repair or upgrade to a new TX-NR656 for $199 or a TX-NR646 for $149. I tried comparing the specs but honestly its overwhelming. I don't know what half of this stuff even means. Any thoughts/advice? I was leaning toward the repair but then I realized that this unit is at about 6 years old at this point so maybe the trade-in models provided some meaningful feature updates.
The NR515 is a decent unit but it lacks the video processor that is included in 6xx series. I particularly like this feature because I still use an old DVD jukebox (as well as a newer blue-ray) and it allows for the Onkyo to "upscale" the lower resolution DVD signal to 1080p. Essentially, it analyses the video, stretches it out and intelligently fills in the resulting gaps so that it looks better. Both of the newer systems also offer Dolby Atmos support which simply means that if you use special Atmos capable speakers, they can project the sound off of your ceiling to create a pseudo surround sound effect without rear speakers. If you keep your old speakers, they will sound pretty much like your NR515.

Both of these units use the new "AccuEQ" speaker calibration system from Onkyo which in my opinion, is not as good as the Audyssey system used in your NR515. The newer AccuEQ only takes one round of sound samples and I personally find that the surround experience is not as good as what I saw on the older systems. The NR656 offers AccuEQ/AccuReflex which may be better (I haven't touched one yet). Other differences seem to be centered around additional features added for 4K TV resolutions. If you don't have a 4K TV, they won't matter.

If I were in your spot I would probably go for the NR656 in the hopes that the AccuReflex technology works better (or at least as good) as Audyssey. It is 1 model year newer than the NR646 which doesn't really mean much since I have started seeing more and more of both models popping up on eBay "For Parts". The one concern I would have is the the descriptions for the broken NR656's tend to be "no audio" and "no picture". Conversely, the NR646's also have some "no audio" issues but I tend to see more "No Power" issues. FWIW, the "no power" is the easiest to fix since it usually means a $1.30 relay is blown (anyone could replace this with a simple soldering iron, some solder and some solder wick). The "no audio" typically points to the DSP chip having pulled a couple of contacts free from the board and is a much tougher fix. As for the "no picture" issues, it could be as simple as the previous user accidentally configuring the system for 4K and connecting it to an HD TV or it could be much more complicated.

Sorry for the rambling. Hope this helps.

Todd
Old 01-17-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The NR515 is a decent unit but it lacks the video processor that is included in 6xx series. I particularly like this feature because I still use an old DVD jukebox (as well as a newer blue-ray) and it allows for the Onkyo to "upscale" the lower resolution DVD signal to 1080p. Essentially, it analyses the video, stretches it out and intelligently fills in the resulting gaps so that it looks better. Both of the newer systems also offer Dolby Atmos support which simply means that if you use special Atmos capable speakers, they can project the sound off of your ceiling to create a pseudo surround sound effect without rear speakers. If you keep your old speakers, they will sound pretty much like your NR515.

Both of these units use the new "AccuEQ" speaker calibration system from Onkyo which in my opinion, is not as good as the Audyssey system used in your NR515. The newer AccuEQ only takes one round of sound samples and I personally find that the surround experience is not as good as what I saw on the older systems. The NR656 offers AccuEQ/AccuReflex which may be better (I haven't touched one yet). Other differences seem to be centered around additional features added for 4K TV resolutions. If you don't have a 4K TV, they won't matter.

If I were in your spot I would probably go for the NR656 in the hopes that the AccuReflex technology works better (or at least as good) as Audyssey. It is 1 model year newer than the NR646 which doesn't really mean much since I have started seeing more and more of both models popping up on eBay "For Parts". The one concern I would have is the the descriptions for the broken NR656's tend to be "no audio" and "no picture". Conversely, the NR646's also have some "no audio" issues but I tend to see more "No Power" issues. FWIW, the "no power" is the easiest to fix since it usually means a $1.30 relay is blown (anyone could replace this with a simple soldering iron, some solder and some solder wick). The "no audio" typically points to the DSP chip having pulled a couple of contacts free from the board and is a much tougher fix. As for the "no picture" issues, it could be as simple as the previous user accidentally configuring the system for 4K and connecting it to an HD TV or it could be much more complicated.

Sorry for the rambling. Hope this helps.

Todd
Thanks Todd. IT was very helpful. Honestly, it sounds like the features mentioned don't really apply to me. I have a 7 or 8 yr old Samsung 1080p LED with no intentions of upgrading anytime soon. I have a fairly decent speaker set for a guy with 2 toddlers, lol. Its all Polk audio... Front: Monitor 70 floorstanding, Rear Surrounds: RC65i in-wall, Center Channel: CS2, Subwoofer: PSW10. I like the way they sound and they are only 3 or 4 years old so I'm not sure the Atmos would benefit me either. The one thing I think would apply is the upscaling. For some reason, certain family members have bought the kids some SD DVDs even though we have a blue-ray player. However, I thought my 515 was doing that already. When I look at the specs on the Onkyo product page for the 515 it says.....

1080p Upscaling: ✓ (Marvell Qdeo)
4K (up to 4096 x 2160) Upscaling: ✓ (Marvell Qdeo)

Am I reading this wrong?
Old 01-18-2018, 05:33 AM

My bad. You are reading this correctly. In previous generations the 5xx series was differentiated from the 6xx series by the addition of a video processor to the 6xx series. I must have missed the transition when Onkyo added it to the NR515. Sorry for the confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps6fsu View Post
Thanks Todd. IT was very helpful. Honestly, it sounds like the features mentioned don't really apply to me. I have a 7 or 8 yr old Samsung 1080p LED with no intentions of upgrading anytime soon. I have a fairly decent speaker set for a guy with 2 toddlers, lol. Its all Polk audio... Front: Monitor 70 floorstanding, Rear Surrounds: RC65i in-wall, Center Channel: CS2, Subwoofer: PSW10. I like the way they sound and they are only 3 or 4 years old so I'm not sure the Atmos would benefit me either. The one thing I think would apply is the upscaling. For some reason, certain family members have bought the kids some SD DVDs even though we have a blue-ray player. However, I thought my 515 was doing that already. When I look at the specs on the Onkyo product page for the 515 it says.....

1080p Upscaling: ✓ (Marvell Qdeo)
4K (up to 4096 x 2160) Upscaling: ✓ (Marvell Qdeo)

Am I reading this wrong?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
My bad. You are reading this correctly. In previous generations the 5xx series was differentiated from the 6xx series by the addition of a video processor to the 6xx series. I must have missed the transition when Onkyo added it to the NR515. Sorry for the confusion!
No worries! This stuff can be confusing to me so just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Just got my TX-NR1007 back the second time after the first repair fixed the no audio issue but I gut intermittent audio drops in HD audio (DTS HD / Dolby True HD). I just got it setup and am running a TrueHD Blu-Ray Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague, gorgeous disc). So far no audio drop outs. I hope it stays this way. They seem to have swapped the entire HDMI board once again although I sent the capacitor fix tip & trick sheet from Onkyo along.

Related question - does anyone know if the firmware update via network still works on these old receivers? Sadly the 1007 has no USB port so the only way to update is via network. Mine shows "1321-2603-0510-9116" when I check under "Firmware Update". When I try "update" it takes only a second until the receiver says no update available, so I'm not sure if it just cannot reach the update server or if I indeed have the latest firmware, the Onkyo website doesn't state any firmware version (at least none that I can check against my number from the receiver).
Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 PM

After reading through the old 1007 and 3007/5007 owner's threads it appears my firmware is a newer one than even the one on the Onkyo website although at first glance I could not make out any differences to my old 1007 at least nothing I can 100% confirm. I'll try if it still has the subwoofer-bug in the pure audio mode, maybe that one got fixed but other than that I cannot recall any bugs of quirks I can test to see if the new firmware fixed those. I guess it's mainly a new firmware to support the new chip-revision.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RMA Billing Process for NR709?

How does Onkyo billing process work for an RMA for the Onkyo NR709? Due to the faulty HDMI board, I received a promotional code to get a replacement receiver (RZ920) and I ordered it. I also sent the serial number label of the NR709 to Onkyo via certified mail as per their RMA directions. I assumed that when they received this label via certified mail, Onkyo would remove all billed charges. Is this correct?

I am concerned that these billed charges are permanent and not refunded. Any thoughts on this process would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Onkyo 5508 had to be restarted a few times recently to restore sound but now it's dead.
Yuck. Willl start recall process ASAP.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:20 AM

Looks like Onkyo is honoring the repair path for the sound issue into 2018. Seems to be a common problem across many receiver models. Hopefully repair might give enhanced longer receiver life.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Looks like Onkyo is honoring the repair path for the sound issue into 2018. Seems to be a common problem across many receiver models. Hopefully repair might give enhanced longer receiver life.
Yes, that is what the first post in the thread says, unitl the end of 2018. As for the problem it too is described in detail in the first post and addtional links...

To reiterate this issue was caused by a defective DSP provided by TI, age/heat seems to be the downfall, the revised chip handles all of this much better.

I know it is a long thread, but skimming through it will answer virtually every quetion you may have with regards to this issue.

Al
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Yes, that is what the first post in the thread says, unitl the end of 2018. As for the problem it too is described in detail in the first post and addtional links...

To reiterate this issue was caused by a defective DSP provided by TI, age/heat seems to be the downfall, the revised chip handles all of this much better.

I know it is a long thread, but skimming through it will answer virtually every quetion you may have with regards to this issue.
Actually, the Onkyo service repair description says coverage for this issue ends in 2017, and only trade-ins continue into 2018. That repairs are still honored in 2018 was my point (happily so). The wording seemed a little confusing, to me at least. From the website:

“As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2017. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.

We will continue the Special Trade-In program even after the end of extended warranty. The period is until December 31, 2018.”

Last edited by RF8655; 01-25-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Actually, the Onkyo service repair description says coverage for this issue ends in 2017, and only trade-ins continue into 2018. That repairs are still honored in 2018 was my point (happily so). The wording seemed a little confusing, to me at least. From the website:

“As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2017. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.

We will continue the Special Trade-In program even after the end of extended warranty. The period is until December 31, 2018.”
I stand corrected, I followed the link and see what you posted above. Thanks for the update!

Al
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
I stand corrected, I followed the link and see what you posted above. Thanks for the update!
Oh yes, sure. And also thanks from me about the defective chip age/heat issue, which I wasn’t clear about.
Al Sherwood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement