Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1262Likes

post #2521 of 2815 Old 03-20-2018, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My TX-NR709 went back on the recall for the HDMI board repair it worked for just over a year after the repair and the HDMI board crapped out again. It has been replaced by a Yamaha RX-A770 which is a better AVR then the Onkyo was when it was wor
king. The NR709 is now on the shelf with the rest of the nonfunctional junk waiting for final disposition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2815 Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaster View Post
My TX-NR709 went back on the recall for the HDMI board repair it worked for just over a year after the repair and the HDMI board crapped out again. It has been replaced by a Yamaha RX-A770 which is a better AVR then the Onkyo was when it was wor
king. The NR709 is now on the shelf with the rest of the nonfunctional junk waiting for final disposition.
Was this repair done long ago, curious if it was done on the original warranty or under this program?

Al
post #2523 of 2815 Old 03-21-2018, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There are two causes for this failure:

1) DSP wear out - only applies to the "B rev" part
2) Board flex causing DSP balls to crack - this can happen on both "B rev" and "D rev" (the "fixed" part)

Note, that Yamaha and others also have both of these issues. A quick look for the UE22 Error on this forum will highlight the issues these owners are having.

If your board was repaired, your issue is #2 . In my experience, this can be fixed relatively easily. Send me a PM if you are interested in getting it fixed for a minimum investment.

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaster View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2815 Old 03-27-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have no interest in repairing this Onkyo. There are other issues I have with it specifically it's awful UI. The Yamaha RX-A770 has firmware with a great UI, plus it has push notifications of firmware updates. The Onkyo's audio side works just fine it is just the HDML side that doesn't work. One issue that cannot be fixed is it's high operating temperature there is no excuse to have such a poor design in this area. I have 1500 watt HF amps that run cooler then than Onkyo does.
post #2525 of 2815 Old 03-31-2018, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I’ve been running my 606 every day for over a year after it was on the shelf for sometime. Unfortunately I’m getting the random dropouts which tells me it’s day is coming . What’s upset me is that my 606 is the silver model which is a sight to behold... any new silver model I want I need to buy overseas. I’m about overdue for an upgrade anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onkyo tx-nr3007, polk A7 fronts, Monitor 70 rears CSIA6 Center Speakers, Sony KDL 46XBR4 , still holding on till it dies
post #2526 of 2815 Old 03-31-2018, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The SR606 uses a very different DSP chip so I am afraid your issue is being caused by something else. This generation of Onkyo suffered from worn out capacitors on the HDMI board so if the drop out is restricted to HDMI, it can be a pretty easy DIY fix. There are a couple of video's on YouTube on how to deal with this.

HTH
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown7 View Post
I’ve been running my 606 every day for over a year after it was on the shelf for sometime. Unfortunately I’m getting the random dropouts which tells me it’s day is coming . What’s upset me is that my 606 is the silver model which is a sight to behold... any new silver model I want I need to buy overseas. I’m about overdue for an upgrade anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2527 of 2815 Old 04-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
So WHY is the USA market so against the, Silver line?
I dont get it at all!!!

Spoiler!
post #2528 of 2815 Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post
Afraid I don't know what else to recommend. The Onkyo advisory for the firmware updates specifically calls out "Bugfix: Pop-noise with some HD-DTS material" so I suspect they still haven't worked out all of the bugs in the firmware.
Hello sir. My onkyo tx-sr875 has still having issue in sound. As per your last suggestion I upagrade its firmware and change all bad flex/ribbon cable of it but still have same issue. No sound in Digital mode. Analog mode works ok till replaced another DSP Card with upgraded firmware. After replace new board this time I lost sound with 7.1 multi channel analog input. This time Onkyo works ok in CD, Tape, Aux1, Aux2, etc..I mean to say works ok in analog stereo. No sound in Multichannel input and no signal through Multichannel Output. Give randomly popping/static/crackling sound in Digital sound mode. I am sure that all 7 amp boards are ok, because before replacing the DSP Board they all works ok in multichannel input mode. Any suggestion pls. And can you describe this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo Old Board-1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2384350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo Old Board-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2384364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo Old Board-3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2384366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo Old Board-4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2384368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo New Board-1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	982.1 KB
ID:	2384370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo New Board-2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2384371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo New Board-3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2384372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo New Board-4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2384374  
post #2529 of 2815 Old 04-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Getting "This Serial/Unit does not need this update." for my TX-NR636

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
post #2530 of 2815 Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Thumbs up Update and Review of our Warranty Replacement ONKYO PR-RZ5100 Pre-pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
Thank you for the official ONKYO defective HDMI board warranty repair or replace notice information and for making this a "sticky".

AVS, this thread and your posts have proved invaluable to multitudes of AVS ONKYO owners like myself.

Out of the blue my trusty, and I do mean trusty ONKYO PR-SC5508 AV preamp recently began exhibiting several of the exact same HDMI board failures listed within this thread. It has worked flawlessly for years until about two months ago when the problems started and became constant. Thankfully, due in large part to this thread, I followed the advice and instructions posted, contacted ONKYO and, after verifying my original registration, the unit's serial number and carefully describing and detailing at some length the specific HDMI problems my unit was and is consistently exhibiting ONKYO officially determined that my preamp qualified for a warranty replacement!

A brand new replacemant ONKYO PR-RZ5100 preamp has been ordered, approved and is in the process of being shipped. Yes, I had to shell out some $ for the replacement but ONKYO was more than fair given how "old" my defective preamp is.

Needless to say I can't begin to express how grateful I am and how honorably ONKYO has acted. Thank you to the AVS community and to everyone involved with this thread.
By way of feedback and follow up; our new ONKYO PR-RZ5100 preamp arrived, everything was hooked back up (the rear panel diagram of the preamp pictured on the outside of the box made this process a breeze) and we are currently running a 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos, DTS:X set up for now.

Given I now have two extra channels on the 5100, and a pristine, audiophile 2 channel power amp that has been in storage waiting for use, once I find a pair of pristine, used Def Tech BP7004 or other floor standing model Def Tech speakers to act as dedicated rear surrounds, that tonally match our existing Definitive Technology speaker's (7001sc mains, CLR 3000 center, BPX front Atmos heights, BPVX side surrounds and BPVX rear Atmos) we will be moving to a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos set up.

As for the RZ5100's preamp design; the only minor complaints I have over our former ONKYO 5508, are:

1) The hiden front panel on the RZ-5100's lack of a USB port or optical in on the front of the unit. I didn't mind them removing the composite connections, but the USB port and optical in were convenient features, though missing.

2) On the rear panel, the only downside is the RZ5100 only has 1 12 volt trigger port, whereas the 5508 has three, individually programmable 12 volt triggers. Though missing, these features, neither is not a deal breaker.

Concerning the ONKYO PR-RZ5100's audio, video, connectivity, and switching performance: These have been my observations:

*Note: The RZ5100 is connected to dedicated Parasound Halo power amps feeding each of the 9 channels. Halo A21 two channel amp for the main L + R channels, Halo A51 5 channel amp powering the center channel, 2 side surrounds and 2 rear height Atmos speakers, Halo A23 two channel amp powers the 2 front height Atmos speakers.

1) ONKYO's proprietary accuEQ Room Calibration, with AccuReflex Technology did an excellent job of calibrating the room and properly calibrating and tailoring the speakers to optimise their performance in our non dedicated, multi purpose home theater room which measures 13 1/2' X 26'. Was it as good as Audessy? It seemed to be; once completed our speaker set up sounds terrific; just as good as before if not better.

2) I honestly thought the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 3D "object based" audio was just going to be a gimmick. Boy was I ever wrong;

We owned a Dolby Atmos, DTS:X compatible SONY UBP-X800 4K player (presently in the process of upgrading to a SONY UBP-X1000ES) and, coupled with the ONKYO PR-RZ5100 it has been a sonic revelation!

Dolby Atmos and DTS:X encoded movies, processed through the ONKYO PR-RZ5100 sound so rich, detailed, dynamic and lush I have been buying and watching as many 4K and HD Blu-ray Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X encoded disks as I can afford to.

The DTS:Neural X audio feature on the RZ5100 that "up mixes" DTS to 3D audio has also breathed new life and added dimension into all of our existing DTS-Master audio encoded HD Blu-ray disks, just as the "Dolby Surround" processing has done with our standard Dolby encoded disks. As a direct result, I have been rewatching many HD Blu-ray movies in our collection because they sound so much better.

I have also found the RZ5100's new "Dolby Surround" processing algorithm to be better than the Dolby Pro Logic IIz was on the 5508. *Athough Dolby Suround is not "3D object based audio", it is more detailed and the sound cues eminating from the individual channels are more distinct than with Dolby Pro Logic IIz.

All of these new surround processing algorithms on the RZ51000 provide a richer, more lifelike sound environment, no matter what Dolby, or DTS source material your watching/listening to, be it Cable TV, streaming Netflix, YouTube videos, VuDu or 4K UHD, and HD Blu-ray disks.

3) The 2 channel audio/music played through the ONKYO PR-RZ5100 to our Parasound Halo A21 also sounds fabulous. No matter what style and kind of music I played, everything sounded better. ONKYO's promotional information says this marked increase in audio fidelity is the direct result of the RZ5100's:

"dual Analog Devices SHARC® processors capable of up to six billion operations per second. Digital-to-analog audio conversion comes courtesy of discrete high performance AKM 32-bit DACs. From source device to output, audio and video signals are kept clean and clear for optimal performance."

All I can say is this technology has made a huge, quantifiable difference that even my wife noticed. The music is richer, much more detailed and refined. The bass appears to sound tighter and the sound stage has improved; it is much more expansive and enveloping.

This sonic improvement is also readily noticed when I move from 2 channels to all nine when playing music in surround sound.

4) The video processing, pass through, switching and HDMI handshake has also improved. It is much quicker and quieter. No issues at all.

5) The pre-pro runs cool and is very quiet. There is now just a slight "click" sound occasionally when switching processing algorithms and sources, it's not a big deal.

6) One more thing; the sonics/sound coming from the front panel headphone jack also seems much improved over the 5508 as well.

In conclusion, all in all, I am extremely satisfied with the performance of the ONKYO PR-RZ5100 and highly recommend it to anyone looking for another pre-pro, or if you find yourself in the exact same position I was with ONKYO offering to "upgrade" me to their latest flagship pre-pro after my faithful ONKYO PR-SC5508 began to experience HDMI board issues with my main left channel.

If you are on the fence about "taking the pre-pro (or the comparable ONKYO TX-RZ3100 high end receiver) replacement deal" ONKYO is offering and purchasing an ONKYO PR-RZ5501 because you previously had a bad experience, I want to especially encourage you to give ONKYO another chance. Their flagship RZ5501 is an exceptional pre-pro, ONKYO is offering it to you at a very reasonable discounted price, and I have come to have the utmost respect for the company. *Note: I am not associated with or a paid spokesman for ONKYO Inc. I am just an A/V enthusiast and consumer.

ONKYO has acted honorably and in good faith. They recognized AND OPENLY ACKNOLEDGED they had a problem with their HDMI boards and did everything in their power to fix the problem, make it right and satisfy their customer base, to the point of extending the warranty for repair or replacement to effected customers up through 2018! Knowing that to do so was going to cost the company millions of dollars.

In all honesty, what other A/V company has publically admitted in writing to their customers (and the world) that they unintentionally put out a defective product, been so magnanimous and made it right like ONKYO has?

Certainly not SONY = can anyone say: "ongoing, known, well documented projector panel degradation issues, across all of their pj model lines for years, including projectors retailing for over $25,000 dollars?"

*I speak from personal experience; we have owned two of SONY's higher end 1080p projectors, like tens of thousands of other customers and to this day SONY has never, ever publicly acknowledged the problem even existed, or sought to do right by their customer base. We could all name a whole host of other A/V companies that have done the same thing as well. That is not the case with ONKYO.

My point is this: I decided to give ONKYO another chance because by their actions, they deserve it. They stepped up to the plate and have earned back my respect, loyalty and trust as a customer and as a consumer.

They offered to replace my PR-SC5508 with a brand new ONKYO PR-RZ5100 for a very fair price. They didn't have to, but they did it anyway because they value their reputation and their customers, and I for one am very grateful I took them up on their generous offer, because the PR-RZ5100 is one heck of a nice pre-pro.

So that's my personal review of the ONKYO PR-RZ5501 now that I have had the opportunity to own and use it for an extended period of time. I hope you enjoyed it.
Al Sherwood likes this.
post #2531 of 2815 Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Firmware Study

To those TX-NR3007 owners who had their AVR repaired and now have a new (replaced) HDMI board with the "NEW" DSP chip at position Q3001 can I ask a favour?

I would like to know the firmware level that it came back from the depot with and if you knew what it had before it was sent in please share that as well. Immediately below are the two ways to view this information with examples:

1) Display the Firmware version

On the front panel, press 'DISPLAY' and 'Standby' to display the main firmware:
Main 1.07/09723AH
then press the arrow button below the 'TONE' or 'LEVEL' button repeatedly to go through the other versions:
DSP 1st/NET: 1.08/09727AHA
DSP 2nd: 1.03/09723AH2
DSP 3rd: 1.03/09723AH3
VIDEO: 1.06/09724AR
VSP(Reon): 1.02/09730AEO

2) You can also view it on a display in the Setup menu Hardware->7-6. Firmware Update under Version: 1221-1403-0511-3103

When my TX-NR3007 came back from the local depot (replaced HDMI and new DSP) I recorded the firmware level 1301-2603-0511-4103, before it went in the version (dated 01-10-2010) was: 1291-2403-0511-4103.

Before: 1291-2403-0511-4103
After: 1301-2603-0511-4103

This firmware version could be dependent on a few things on the HDMI board so there are a few more bits of information that would be very helpful, the numbers are examples, and yours may be different.

1) The board revision: BCHDM-0157 25140157C
2) The DSP chip part number labelled Q3001: D830K13BZKB3
3) Finally the frequency written on the crystal oscillator nearest to the DSP above 24.000

Thanks in advance for your help!

Al
post #2532 of 2815 Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I own a TX-NR1007 and have been experiencing audio drop outs as well as audio completing cutting out a few seconds after turning on the receiver. I called a local shop and they confirmed that there is a warranty replacement of the motherboard and if I had the original receipt (which i still did), it would be repaired for free. The work was done in January and I have had no problems since. They told me that the issue was due to sub-standard glue that was used on the motherboards and the heat generated from the unit itself caused the motherboard to fail over time.

The replacement motherboards are all refurbs but they are thoroughly tested by the company (every input/output, function is tested) so if there are any other issues that are discovered, they replace the motherboard again until it tests 100%. They also update all the firmware(s) (mine was on the latest customer-updatable version) but they told me that there are other firmwares built into the unit that the end-user customer cannot update so they ensure that those are updated as well.

Very satisfied with the process. Took about 2 weeks for my unit to be returned to me.
post #2533 of 2815 Old 04-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sound issues after warrenty repair.

Back I January I sent my DTR-70.4 in for warranty repair of the HDMI Board. When I received it back I had sound when I used the HDMI inputs but it did not sound quite right If I played a Bluray with DTS sound or Atmos all channels seemed to work properly. Where I noticed the difference was when watching TV or playing back my backed up BluRay collection. I spent a few hrs trying different settings and also redoing the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 sound modeling. Still did not sound right and I was only getting sound from the FL-C-FR speakers in most of the DSD modes I tried. I contacted Integra support and they had me try many different things and it still was not right. I was offered to trade it in and was ready to pull the trigger. I asked if they had a replacement available and when they checked stock they had none and could not give me a date when they could get any. Biggest issue was I have until the beginning of May left on the warranty repair and after that I am on my own.
I had seen some of TJMotter's posts on DSP board issues so I contacted him and he indicated that I probably had a firmware issue. He had me do a factory reset and do a full firmware install and now my sound is back correctly. Just a heads up for anyone still having sound issues, Do a firmware check to see if you have the latest. I wish I had checked my versions before the update. The firmware and instructions can be found on the Onkyo website for Onkyo and the Integra site for Integra versions.

I would also like to thank TJMotter for the help he was able to provide.
Al Sherwood likes this.

HTPC, Win 10 Home, Intel I7-2600, GTX950, 8 GB ram, JRiver Media Center, AVR, Integra DRX-R1.1 Atmos, TV, LG OLED B6 65, DVR/Bluray, Oppo UHD-203 . Speakers, Klipsch Reference series, 7.1.2, [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners.
post #2534 of 2815 Old 04-12-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just posting this for people who may be in he same situation I was....
I have an HT-RC360 which had already been serviced under the program. After a recent power surge/power disruption(literally off,and back on instantly) my receiver was back to doing what it had before I had it repaired. Simply say HDMI Startup....
Updating the firmware seem to have fixed the issue however....whew.
post #2535 of 2815 Old 04-16-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Mine was repaired last year and still has issues. I'm going to give up on it and replace it with a Denon 4k/Atmos compatible AVR next time around, which will simplify my wiring quite a bit. I'll keep the Onkyo and use it as a stereo or 5.1 channel (optical) receiver/amp. Those parts of it still work fine, it's just the HDMI board is shot.
post #2536 of 2815 Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Mine was repaired last year and still has issues. I'm going to give up on it and replace it with a Denon 4k/Atmos compatible AVR next time around, which will simplify my wiring quite a bit. I'll keep the Onkyo and use it as a stereo or 5.1 channel (optical) receiver/amp. Those parts of it still work fine, it's just the HDMI board is shot.
What model?

Al
post #2537 of 2815 Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
For anyone who has taken advantage of the rebate offer. It says any independent authorized reseller. So is that any company listed here? https://www.onkyousa.com/Support/dealerlist.php and if so can I buy a refurbished model from accessories4less?

Also says Return the Serial Number Label of your qualifying unit. Mine just has a sticker that says refurbished on the back. The serial # is actually listed on the box. Does this count? It came directly from Onkyo when I bought it.
post #2538 of 2815 Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I have an Onkyo HT-R390 receiver from around 2012.
It has been working great for a long time, but started doing audio droputs on HDMI for about two years now (hdmi blinks on the display, audio drops out for a few seconds). It is quite random. I changed cables, etc. Sometimes there are no dropouts for a day, sometimes it is unbearable, repeating in every 10 seconds or so.
I have thought that something is wrong with the mains in my apartment, or somebody nearby is operating machinery that interferes with the high freq hdmi signal. I have a beamer as well where the video gets lost for a second if the fridge or the motorized blinds turn on/off. I believe this because surges and a long hdmi cable (5-10m). It is unrelated to the receiver, the video signal does not go through the receiver, only audio.
Now I read that Onkyo receivers have all sors of hdmi problems but I can't figure out if these are related or not to my problem.
I read about bad capacitors, I have soldering experience I could do it if it was not in vain.
I'm using the HDMI output of my PC, tried the integrated and dgpu as well, no difference. The cable is not long, approx 1.5m.
Lately I've been using an usb-optical audio sound card, (TI PCM2704) no dropout has happened. The downside is I can't get DD/dts bitstream this way.

Please share your thoughts how this could be fixed.
Thanks!
post #2539 of 2815 Old 04-21-2018, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 100
With TCL taking over the Onkyo and Pioneer brands outside of Japan... do we know if they will affect the warranty process in any way?
post #2540 of 2815 Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Onkyo products still trash

My personal experience with Onkyo products and this program:

I bought a TX-NR809 December of 2011 - so let's say 2012.
Almost 3 years and a week (outside of credit card extended warranty) the unit failed with no audio.
Luckily I heard about this program and sent the unit back in (had to be without it for weeks of course).

About a year or so after I got it back it started having random and brief audio cutouts.
I thought it might be the TV as it was paired with a new one around this time.
Now in March 2018 (just 3 years after back from repairs) it started loosing all audio when turning on my TV.
It requires the receiver to be unplugged completely - that is the only thing that will fix the issue.

Onkyo won't repair again even though they know they shipped the units with bad boards and fixed them with the same bad boards which will fail after 2-4 years of use. Only think they seem to offer me is a discount on a REFURBISHED unit.

Forget that. I will steer clear of Onkyo in the future.
azz7686 likes this.
post #2541 of 2815 Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
anyone got any suggestions on getting this serial # sticker off the back? Mines a refurbished one which is eligible and the stick is folders over the bottom corner. I'm almost totally ripped it multiple times trying to get it off.
post #2542 of 2815 Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So another update from my small corner of this mess. After the RMA repair on my HT-R390 didn't last more than a few months, rather than trying to repair again I simply gave up and started looking for a replacement. Probably should have stepped away from Onkyo but managed to find a good deal on an HT-R494 and picked it up. Been itching to get something that is 4k and Atmos capable and it handily fit the bill for a good price plus has the automatic microphone config which REALLY tightened up the sound in my living room compared to 'guessing' on the old receiver. If this one fails however I think I may just skip the whole RMA mess and bite the bullet and go with a different manufacturer.

Now that I have this old receiver not really being used for anything at the moment I am seriously considering opening it up and taking a look around for an attempted DIY repair and have it as a backup or use in another room. It's either that or it's simply going to be recycled. Anyone have any good tidbits on what and where to look for in these? To clarify the problem I had run into most recently is on a cold powerup 99.95% of the time there was no audio on any inputs or the speaker test/level adjustment. After either letting it sit for 10-15 minutes or repeatedly cycling the power off and on it would eventually kick in and in most cases stay that way until powered off again.

post #2543 of 2815 Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you. Much appreciated on that. Just quickly went through the primary posts in that thread and looks like very useful info. Will have to check the chipset on mine and see if the repair last August ended up giving me a 'D' revision board or not. If not I may definitely raise some heck with Onkyo's RMA department. It quite literally only lasted about 4 months for me from early August to somewhere mid-December when it started failing again.

post #2544 of 2815 Old 05-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
To those TX-NR3007 owners who had their AVR repaired and now have a new (replaced) HDMI board with the "NEW" DSP chip at position Q3001 can I ask a favour?

I would like to know the firmware level that it came back from the depot with and if you knew what it had before it was sent in please share that as well. Immediately below are the two ways to view this information with examples:

1) Display the Firmware version

On the front panel, press 'DISPLAY' and 'Standby' to display the main firmware:
Main 1.07/09723AH
then press the arrow button below the 'TONE' or 'LEVEL' button repeatedly to go through the other versions:
DSP 1st/NET: 1.08/09727AHA
DSP 2nd: 1.03/09723AH2
DSP 3rd: 1.03/09723AH3
VIDEO: 1.06/09724AR
VSP(Reon): 1.02/09730AEO

2) You can also view it on a display in the Setup menu Hardware->7-6. Firmware Update under Version: 1221-1403-0511-3103

When my TX-NR3007 came back from the local depot (replaced HDMI and new DSP) I recorded the firmware level 1301-2603-0511-4103, before it went in the version (dated 01-10-2010) was: 1291-2403-0511-4103.

Before: 1291-2403-0511-4103
After: 1301-2603-0511-4103

This firmware version could be dependent on a few things on the HDMI board so there are a few more bits of information that would be very helpful, the numbers are examples, and yours may be different.

1) The board revision: BCHDM-0157 25140157C
2) The DSP chip part number labelled Q3001: D830K13BZKB3
3) Finally the frequency written on the crystal oscillator nearest to the DSP above 24.000

Thanks in advance for your help!

I used the second method
2) You can also view it on a display in the Setup menu Hardware->7-6. Firmware Update under Version: 1321-2603-0511-4103
1321-2603-0511-4103 is what is reads ( I checked twice ).
My 3007 was returned to me around 2-25-2016
The unit has been working perfectly since the repair!
post #2545 of 2815 Old 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I used the second method
2) You can also view it on a display in the Setup menu Hardware->7-6. Firmware Update under Version: 1321-2603-0511-4103
1321-2603-0511-4103 is what is reads ( I checked twice ).
My 3007 was returned to me around 2-25-2016
The unit has been working perfectly since the repair!

Welcome and thanks for providing this information! You now have me on the hunt to get this latest version of firmware...

Al
post #2546 of 2815 Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am doing the rebate option for receiver replacement and i cant find the instructions i know they wanted both tags from box and the old receiver serial sticker. I printed the rebate form but I don't see the instructions on what i printed off. can anyone give me those please ?
post #2547 of 2815 Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Liked: 15
Question So now what Onkyo receiver to get?

I was having issues with my NR-807 working with Roku as they simply would not sync. I decided to do a firmware upgrade and guess what, the network option no longer works at all and I qualified for the service program. I think Onkyo is being pretty generous and offers a really good deal on the RZ-810 (new) and offers a more than fair rebate on most other receivers. So what receiver would you recommend from Onkyo to go wiht my M&K 150 THX series speakers (4 ohm). I really want to be able to reliably switch various HDMI 4K (HDR) inputs (up to 3 is fine) and keep reading about issues others are having with HDMI 4K HDR switching. Leaning towards the RZ-810 but would really appreciate some advice and input on what to do.
post #2548 of 2815 Old 05-19-2018, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler View Post
I was having issues with my NR-807 working with Roku as they simply would not sync. I decided to do a firmware upgrade and guess what, the network option no longer works at all and I qualified for the service program. I think Onkyo is being pretty generous and offers a really good deal on the RZ-810 (new) and offers a more than fair rebate on most other receivers. So what receiver would you recommend from Onkyo to go wiht my M&K 150 THX series speakers (4 ohm). I really want to be able to reliably switch various HDMI 4K (HDR) inputs (up to 3 is fine) and keep reading about issues others are having with HDMI 4K HDR switching. Leaning towards the RZ-810 but would really appreciate some advice and input on what to do.
In case you aren't aware, the RZ-810 is the old 2016 model. Current model is the RZ-820, which will be superseded in the coming months by the RZ-830.

There is a very good blog here that tells you the main differences between the RZ-810 and RZ-820.

If this AVR is your "main" HT AVR, I would not be considering the RZ-810 which only has 3 HDMI inputs that are HDCP 2.2 compliant.
post #2549 of 2815 Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler View Post
When I did the repair program they were only offering $200 off rebate for a similar receiver, are they now offering more?

How about for a DHC-80.3? Thanks.
post #2550 of 2815 Old 05-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
When I did the repair program they were only offering $200 off rebate for a similar receiver, are they now offering more?

How about for a DHC-80.3? Thanks.
they are offering 175, which I think is very fair, many would just say tuff it's out of warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page