Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1265Likes

post #2671 of 2831 Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned the 809 and had the hdmi repair done a few years ago. Just yesterday I started having an issue where the receiver does not seem to respond to remote commands from my harmony remote (you have to hit something repeatedly until it responds). Usually the issue relates back to tweaking something in harmony setup however I went through that whole process with no resolution.

I then tested the 809s remote and when I hit the input buttons it does not change to that input consistently with the first button press. I had to hit it 2-4 times before it would switch. I gave it a break, and then tested a bit later and it didn't recognize the first input switch, but on the second press it switched, then when changing to another few inputs it switched on the first press and then started requiring 2-3 presses again to switch. This is all standing directly in front of the receiver with direct line of sight and nothing blocking the IR.

Has anybody else had this issue with their 809 or similar onkyo model? If so what was the solution?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2831 Old 12-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This kind of issue can be caused by a failing component or some new form of interference in the area that is interfering with the signal.

My initial sense is that the small 100uF capacitor that conditions power to the IR Receiver chip may be failing. The NR809 schematic shows this as a 100uF/6.3V (C7528) part but later designs (like the NR616) that use the same receiver chip moved to a 100uF/10V part. A change like this can occur when the field service teams start escalating failures like this to the design team who will then put a "beefier" part in to address the issue. This isn't a difficult repair but it does involve pulling the front panel.

Before jumping to an electronic repair, I would first check for potential interference by changing the Remote ID to use a different channel to see if that resolves the issue. The process for this is outlined on page 59 of the user manual and requires going into the "Hardware Setup" of the Receiver and changing the remote ID. Next, you would grab the remote, hold down the "Receiver" button and then press and hold the "Setup" button for 3 seconds (until "Receiver" lights up) and then use the number pad to pick a new ID (2 or 3). You can always reset the remote later if this doesn't work.

I would try this first with the original Onkyo remote. If it is successful, I would then reprogram the Harmony remote

HTH
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cward0625 View Post
I have owned the 809 and had the hdmi repair done a few years ago. Just yesterday I started having an issue where the receiver does not seem to respond to remote commands from my harmony remote (you have to hit something repeatedly until it responds). Usually the issue relates back to tweaking something in harmony setup however I went through that whole process with no resolution.

I then tested the 809s remote and when I hit the input buttons it does not change to that input consistently with the first button press. I had to hit it 2-4 times before it would switch. I gave it a break, and then tested a bit later and it didn't recognize the first input switch, but on the second press it switched, then when changing to another few inputs it switched on the first press and then started requiring 2-3 presses again to switch. This is all standing directly in front of the receiver with direct line of sight and nothing blocking the IR.

Has anybody else had this issue with their 809 or similar onkyo model? If so what was the solution?

Thank you

Last edited by TJMotter; 12-05-2018 at 10:05 AM.
post #2673 of 2831 Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post
This kind of issue can be caused by a failing component or some new form of interference in the area that is interfering with the signal.

My initial sense is that the small 100uF capacitor that conditions power to the IR Receiver chip may be failing. The NR809 schematic shows this as a 100uF/6.3V (C7528) part but later designs (like the NR616) that use the same receiver chip moved to a 100uF/10V part. A change like this can occur when the field service teams start escalating failures like this to the design team who will then put a "beefier" part in to address the issue. This isn't a difficult repair but it does involve pulling the front panel.

Before jumping to an electronic repair, I would first check for potential interference by changing the Remote ID to use a different channel to see if that resolves the issue. The process for this is outlined on page 59 of the user manual and requires going into the "Hardware Setup" of the Receiver and changing the remote ID. Next, you would grab the remote, hold down the "Receiver" button and then press and hold the "Setup" button for 3 seconds (until "Receiver" lights up) and then use the number pad to pick a new ID (2 or 3). You can always reset the remote later if this doesn't work.

I would try this first with the original Onkyo remote. If it is successful, I would then reprogram the Harmony remote

HTH
Todd
Just changed remote id and issue still exists. My harmony seems to no longer respond to anything now (i don't know if harmony can change the remote id too....i suspect I will need to revert it back to remote id 1 in the receiver).

What does a repair like you mentioned typically cost to have done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2831 Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cward0625 View Post
Just changed remote id and issue still exists. My harmony seems to no longer respond to anything now (i don't know if harmony can change the remote id too....i suspect I will need to revert it back to remote id 1 in the receiver).

What does a repair like you mentioned typically cost to have done?

No surprise that the Harmony won't work. You would need to reprogram it to channel 2. Since this removed the "interference" as the possible source, I would just revert the Receiver setting back to #1 and reset the Onkyo remote by going through the same process I outlined earlier but choosing "1" instead of "2".

Repair cost won't be cheap. One of the reasons I picked this up as a hobby was because the local Onkyo Repair dealer wanted $150 just to look at a system. On top of that they would charge for time and material so even the most basic repair was over $200. In my case I had a firmware issue and had zero interest in fixing it myself but once I saw this price tag I changed my mind (my day job is in Computer design and these Receivers are simply a bunch of computers tied together with an amplifier bolted on).

This one is actually pretty easy and is something a novice could probably do with a little YouTube research on soldering. All that is required is basic soldering skills, a soldering iron, a bit of solder and some solder wick (to get the old one out). The capacitor sells for about 31 cents (+ shipping). The front panel would need to be removed and disassembled (about 30 minutes) but with a little care and patience, a novice could do this pretty easily.

Send me a PM if you would like to consider doing this yourself. I might be able to provide some guidance/instruction.

Todd
post #2675 of 2831 Old 12-05-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Mine was repaired about two years ago and it broke again, so I pretty much gave up on it. My mom's stereo receiver that she uses on her TV blew out a channel, so that sealed the deal, she got my broken Onkyo, as she only has stereo, so an optical feed from the TV is adequate, and I went with a Denon X3400 that supports HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 plus DTS-HD MA 7.1 all through the same HDMI cable at last.
post #2676 of 2831 Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I went with a Denon X3400 that supports HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 plus DTS-HD MA 7.1 all through the same HDMI cable at last.

How do you like the Denon compared to the Onkyo?
post #2677 of 2831 Old 12-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post
I really like my Denon 4500H compared to my Onkyo 876. First thing is the weight. At only 1/2 the weight compared to my 876, easier to manipulate. I initially purchased the Denon 3500H at a discount but got a deal on the 4500H for only $200 more (plus tax). The deal was too good to pass up and will work better if I eventually add speakers for a Atmos system. Denon makes a quality receiver. And now I don't have to worry about the heat problem like with my 876. My 876 still works but I've really had to baby it. Never installed it in a cabinet due to the heat problems. Will install my 4500H in a cabinet. It's got built in fans that switch on is the heat get too high.

Last edited by eaayoung; 12-06-2018 at 07:34 AM.
post #2678 of 2831 Old 12-06-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good question, but I haven't set it up yet, as I'm moving soon. I'll have to let you know in a few weeks. I'm hoping down the road to have a living room setup and a home theater setup, and to go with the X6400 for the HT, so I'll have two Denons. Hopefully I like the unit, I did my research and determined that Denon made good quality hardware, and they had the combination of features that I wanted.
post #2679 of 2831 Old 12-06-2018, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Slightly off topic, but is there an official thread for the Onkyo HT-S3700? I'm looking for setup advice with a 4K player and OLED. Just bought the S3700 three years ago and am hoping not to have to upgrade it again so soon...
post #2680 of 2831 Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawPopTart View Post
Slightly off topic, but is there an official thread for the Onkyo HT-S3700? I'm looking for setup advice with a 4K player and OLED. Just bought the S3700 three years ago and am hoping not to have to upgrade it again so soon...
It doesn't look like it has 4k HDMI? In that case, you need to run one HDMI to the AVR for audio, and one to the TV for video. It's a bit kludgy to switch inputs to do that, but it does work to get 4k video and DTS-HD MA 7.1 at the same time. That also looks like one that has a passive sub, so it's not nearly as easy to upgrade as systems that have a normal powered sub. My parents have one like that, maybe that model, and it is good for TV sound that doesn't suck, but it doesn't have the "WOW" factor of the THX systems.

EDIT: Amazon is showing that unit as having HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. If that's the case, you just set it up like normal and you'll get 4k and DTS-HD MA.
RawPopTart likes this.
post #2681 of 2831 Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Now I'm trying to decide between a new Onkyo TX-RZ830 and the Denon AVR-X4400H. Any opinions either way? I know I won't get the $130 rebate if I go with the Denon, but I don't think I really care at this point.
I just couldn’t decide, so I bought both so I could really compare them head to head. It didn’t take long to find a dealbreaker with the new Onkyo. Apparently, the new Onkyo receivers only have a single line display on the front. I like to see the name of the input and the sound mode at the same time. My Onkyo 808 showed both on its two line display, as does the new Denon. But I guess Onkyo has decided that people don’t need to see that much information anymore. I’ll be keeping the Denon.
post #2682 of 2831 Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
It doesn't look like it has 4k HDMI? In that case, you need to run one HDMI to the AVR for audio, and one to the TV for video. It's a bit kludgy to switch inputs to do that, but it does work to get 4k video and DTS-HD MA 7.1 at the same time. That also looks like one that has a passive sub, so it's not nearly as easy to upgrade as systems that have a normal powered sub. My parents have one like that, maybe that model, and it is good for TV sound that doesn't suck, but it doesn't have the "WOW" factor of the THX systems.

EDIT: Amazon is showing that unit as having HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. If that's the case, you just set it up like normal and you'll get 4k and DTS-HD MA.
Thanks for the tip! I saw Amazon's details as well, so I'm just hoping they're accurate. I've tested a 4K Blu-ray though and don't seem to have any issues. My paranoia is simply that I'm not getting the best image/sound quality I possibly can.

(Granted, I'm in an apartment, so sound is a concession I'm making on some level temporarily.)
BiggAW likes this.
post #2683 of 2831 Old 12-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I saw Amazon's details as well, so I'm just hoping they're accurate. I've tested a 4K Blu-ray though and don't seem to have any issues. My paranoia is simply that I'm not getting the best image/sound quality I possibly can.

(Granted, I'm in an apartment, so sound is a concession I'm making on some level temporarily.)
So... after researching, I'm thoroughly confused.

I called Onkyo's customer service and the guy told me this particular system is *not* HDCP 2.2 compliant. He didn't seem exactly sure about what he was saying (you can always tell when someone on the phone is looking up technical specs and trying to make sense of them), but I'm in a position now of believing him or Amazon's site.

He added that I should be seeing 4K/60Hz from my Blu-ray without issue, but that without HDCP 2.2, I cannot upconvert anything properly.

Option 1) If I'm to believe Amazon's site, is there a way I can verify that I'm getting the proper 4K transfer -- besides an eyeball test?

Option 2) If Amazon is WRONG, is there any precedent for them and/or Onkyo replacing my equipment 3 years after purchase? That's a terribly stupid question to me as I type it, but this seems like a fairly drastic case of false advertising on Amazon's part if the unit indeed isn't HDCP 2.2

I'm at a loss, increasingly frustrated, and increasingly eager to watch my new OLED knowing I'm seeing the best picture possible... ah, technology.
BiggAW likes this.
post #2684 of 2831 Old 12-09-2018, 06:06 AM

The first Onkyo model I saw that supported HDCP2.2 was the NR636 and it clearly showed this next to the ports that supported it. The picture below shows the back of one of these units and you can see HDCP2.2 next to the OUT MAIN and HDMI 3 ports.

http://bootybargain.com/shop/media/c...f9d7c45146.JPG

The NR636 is equivalent to the HT-R693 that shipped with the HT-S7700. The HT-S3700 should have shipped with the HT-R393 which is equivalent to the Onkyo TX-SR333. You will likely have much more success finding information on optimizing the setup on an SR333 than an HT-S3700.

I should add that I have fixed HDMI issues on a couple of NR636's/HT-R693's and Onkyo had to do some pretty funky stuff to get the HDCP2.2 stuff working. Both the OUT MAIN and the HDMI 3 port have their own dedicated processor just to be able handle these signals. I haven't worked on an SR333 but looking at the schematic, all of that circuitry is missing so there is no way (IMHO) that your unit supports HDCP2.2.

You might get more information from the unit itself by holding the "DISPLAY" button for 3 seconds. The front screen will display the input resolution that the receiver is processing. A 4K signal should show something like: 3840x2160p/60. Your TV should also be able to show the resolution it is running at so if both are the same, you should be passing 4K signals.

I doubt that you have any recourse given how much time has passed and I am not sure Amazon is going to care much but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

HTH
Todd

Quote:
So... after researching, I'm thoroughly confused.

I called Onkyo's customer service and the guy told me this particular system is *not* HDCP 2.2 compliant. He didn't seem exactly sure about what he was saying (you can always tell when someone on the phone is looking up technical specs and trying to make sense of them), but I'm in a position now of believing him or Amazon's site.

He added that I should be seeing 4K/60Hz from my Blu-ray without issue, but that without HDCP 2.2, I cannot upconvert anything properly.

Option 1) If I'm to believe Amazon's site, is there a way I can verify that I'm getting the proper 4K transfer -- besides an eyeball test?

Option 2) If Amazon is WRONG, is there any precedent for them and/or Onkyo replacing my equipment 3 years after purchase? That's a terribly stupid question to me as I type it, but this seems like a fairly drastic case of false advertising on Amazon's part if the unit indeed isn't HDCP 2.2

I'm at a loss, increasingly frustrated, and increasingly eager to watch my new OLED knowing I'm seeing the best picture possible... ah, technology.
RawPopTart likes this.

Last edited by TJMotter; 12-09-2018 at 06:12 AM.
post #2685 of 2831 Old 12-09-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
The first Onkyo model I saw that supported HDCP2.2 was the NR636 and it clearly showed this next to the ports that supported it. The picture below shows the back of one of these units and you can see HDCP2.2 next to the OUT MAIN and HDMI 3 ports.

http://bootybargain.com/shop/media/c...f9d7c45146.JPG

The NR636 is equivalent to the HT-R693 that shipped with the HT-S7700. The HT-S3700 should have shipped with the HT-R393 which is equivalent to the Onkyo TX-SR333. You will likely have much more success finding information on optimizing the setup on an SR333 than an HT-S3700.

I should add that I have fixed HDMI issues on a couple of NR636's/HT-R693's and Onkyo had to do some pretty funky stuff to get the HDCP2.2 stuff working. Both the OUT MAIN and the HDMI 3 port have their own dedicated processor just to be able handle these signals. I haven't worked on an SR333 but looking at the schematic, all of that circuitry is missing so there is no way (IMHO) that your unit supports HDCP2.2.

You might get more information from the unit itself by holding the "DISPLAY" button for 3 seconds. The front screen will display the input resolution that the receiver is processing. A 4K signal should show something like: 3840x2160p/60. Your TV should also be able to show the resolution it is running at so if both are the same, you should be passing 4K signals.

I doubt that you have any recourse given how much time has passed and I am not sure Amazon is going to care much but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

HTH
Todd
Thanks for your thorough explanation, Todd.

I've pretty much resigned to the reality that I'll need to upgrade my receiver and try to sell the S3700 at a bargain.

That said -- any recommendations on what I can replace it with and not break the bank? The TX-NR585 has some great reviews and meets all of my criteria -- except that Onkyo's site does not list as supporting 1080p 4k upscaling.

There's also the TX-NR676 that caught my eye. Similar price range and seems to cover the same specs + upscaling included. I'm leaning slightly toward this one because of that, even though it appears to be an older model.

Secondary question: would I be able to use my current speaker setup (including the passive subwoofer) from the S3700 set with either the NR585 or the NR676? Or will I need to buy a separate, powered sub?
post #2686 of 2831 Old 12-09-2018, 08:26 AM

You are probably going to need to upgrade to a powered subwoofer with any of the current options.

I haven't really been following the latest Onkyo releases but I thought that all models after the x1x generation (NR515, 616 etc) supported video upscaling. The user manual for the NR585 does indicate that all video inputs (Component and Composite) will be output through the HDMI port so that is a good sign but I don't see anything that indicates that it is upscaling the video. Then again, I don't see this in the 676 manual either and the 6xx series has had this feature for a long time.

HTH
Todd

Quote:
Thanks for your thorough explanation, Todd.

I've pretty much resigned to the reality that I'll need to upgrade my receiver and try to sell the S3700 at a bargain.

That said -- any recommendations on what I can replace it with and not break the bank? The TX-NR585 has some great reviews and meets all of my criteria -- except that Onkyo's site does not list as supporting 1080p 4k upscaling.

There's also the TX-NR676 that caught my eye. Similar price range and seems to cover the same specs + upscaling included. I'm leaning slightly toward this one because of that, even though it appears to be an older model.

Secondary question: would I be able to use my current speaker setup (including the passive subwoofer) from the S3700 set with either the NR585 or the NR676? Or will I need to buy a separate, powered sub?
RawPopTart likes this.
post #2687 of 2831 Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You are probably going to need to upgrade to a powered subwoofer with any of the current options.

I haven't really been following the latest Onkyo releases but I thought that all models after the x1x generation (NR515, 616 etc) supported video upscaling. The user manual for the NR585 does indicate that all video inputs (Component and Composite) will be output through the HDMI port so that is a good sign but I don't see anything that indicates that it is upscaling the video. Then again, I don't see this in the 676 manual either and the 6xx series has had this feature for a long time.

HTH
Todd
Interesting... Onkyo's inconsistent spec listing definitely makes the search confusing, but your input is helpful.

Regarding the powered sub, are there any budget-friendly recommendations from anyone that don't typically show up in a review search on Google?

Ideally, I'm hoping to go with a receiver/sub combo that pairs with my existing left/right/surround set from the HT-S3700 while future-proofing myself for at least 5 years, maintaining the same (or better) sound quality of the S3700, and not spending more than $600-700 combined.

Or if there's an HTIB set that achieves those goals and has HDCP 2.2 compliancy around the same combined price, I might lean that way.
post #2688 of 2831 Old 12-12-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone. Lol my TX-nr3007 just stopped giving audio- yep 2 weeks before the extended service plan expires. They are out of parts apparently. I want a comparable receiver but I don’t want to drop ~$1000 any suggestions?
(So wishing I’d bought the pioneer elite I was considering instead of this Onkyo)
post #2689 of 2831 Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting... Onkyo's inconsistent spec listing definitely makes the search confusing, but your input is helpful.

Regarding the powered sub, are there any budget-friendly recommendations from anyone that don't typically show up in a review search on Google?

Ideally, I'm hoping to go with a receiver/sub combo that pairs with my existing left/right/surround set from the HT-S3700 while future-proofing myself for at least 5 years, maintaining the same (or better) sound quality of the S3700, and not spending more than $600-700 combined.

Or if there's an HTIB set that achieves those goals and has HDCP 2.2 compliancy around the same combined price, I might lean that way.
So does it not pass 2160p from UHD-BD, i.e. not have HDCP 2.2 compatibility? If it doesn't, I wouldn't throw money at a relatively low-end system, I'd go the dual HDMI route and just deal with the resulting annoyance of having to switch inputs twice to go back and forth. It does, however, get even more annoying if you have a 4k Roku or something like that...
RawPopTart likes this.
post #2690 of 2831 Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
So does it not pass 2160p from UHD-BD, i.e. not have HDCP 2.2 compatibility? If it doesn't, I wouldn't throw money at a relatively low-end system, I'd go the dual HDMI route and just deal with the resulting annoyance of having to switch inputs twice to go back and forth. It does, however, get even more annoying if you have a 4k Roku or something like that...
That's what I was confused about, but Onkyo's customer service line "confirmed" the S3700 receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 compatible.

Right now, I have a 4K Sony player and 4K Amazon Fire (in addition to DirecTV with no 4K box, so that's all upconverted anyway). But my current receiver doesn't support Dolby Atmos, only had has 5 channels, and isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. Are you saying a dual HDMI route through the 3700 would solve that issue?

(Either way, I just received the Onkyo TX-NR676 -- so I may as well go on a test run to see if I find any differences, I figure.)
post #2691 of 2831 Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Can this post be made a non-sticky, as it's from 2014 and has totally served its purpose?

Those that are affected by it surely have subscribed....
post #2692 of 2831 Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 4463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Can this post be made a non-sticky, as it's from 2014 and has totally served its purpose?

Those that are affected by it surely have subscribed....
Unless anyone has any objections.. un-stuck!

(and if you DO have any objections, PM me as might not see them, here)
mtbdudex likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2693 of 2831 Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Ya, you might want to rethink that after taking a look at this thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...listening.html

Pioneer has EXACTLY the same issue, they just issue a UE22 error instead of simply greying out the Network/Firmware setting.

PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekompression View Post
?
(So wishing I’d bought the pioneer elite I was considering instead of this Onkyo)
post #2694 of 2831 Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you saying a dual HDMI route through the 3700 would solve that issue?
Dual HDMI sends HDMI audio only to the AVR via HDMI 1.4 and video only or audio/video to the TV via HDMI 2.0, but only UHD BD players have that option. For streaming devices, since they pretty much max out at DD 5.1 anyway, you have to go through the TV and back to the AVR via optical. It's a PITA, as you have to align two inputs on two different devices.
RawPopTart likes this.
post #2695 of 2831 Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DSX-3 or DSX-2.1

My DTR 20.3 had the same problem - main HDMI board bad. Repair center contacted Onkyo, they wouldn't authorize the free repair. Instead 40% off list of new units. I'm looking at the two low-end systems DSX-3 and DSX-2.1

The DSX-2.1 is 1/3 more than the DSX-3. So I'm trying to figure out if that's justifiable.

The DSX-2.1 seems similar to the DTR-20.3: big (tall) receiver); lots of analog inputs; 2nd room support. 7.2 receiver. I think beefier power supplies. Seems similar in design to many other Onkyo/Integra receivers (DSX-3 seems very different). Our great room has 3 front, 2 side, 2 rear speakers in ceiling. Currently side wired with rear with our 5.1 setup. 7.1 I guess would separating them out.

We only have 4 video sources: cable STB, BD player, Wii, extra HDMI (ie. laptop). I wouldn't think that would change. But do I want to guarantee that for the next decade (hopeful lifetime of the receiver)? The DSX-3 is a lot smaller. But we already had a defined space for the DTR 20.3. So a smaller DSX-3, I'm not sure that gains much.

For those that had similar discounts off new, and went that route, I'm curious if any of you did a similar consideration of these two models.

Thanks.

Jeff
post #2696 of 2831 Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Last night my 709 suddenly had no audio or video. Figured I was just about to sneak in under the wire on this Onkyo program. Did a power unplug/replug this morning and all seems fine. Not sure if I’m happy about it, tho. 🤔
post #2697 of 2831 Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM
avp

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 709 was repaired once under program. Now having problems with hdmi inputs 1-5. they will not work at all, been using inputs 6-8 with only problem being slow on hdmi handshakes. Anyone have the same problem or ideas on what to check?
post #2698 of 2831 Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp View Post
My 709 was repaired once under program. Now having problems with hdmi inputs 1-5. they will not work at all, been using inputs 6-8 with only problem being slow on hdmi handshakes. Anyone have the same problem or ideas on what to check?

All of those inputs are driven by Q8132 which is an HDMI receiver built by Silicon Image (part number SII9489CTU). All 5 inputs are wired directly to this chip. There are at least 3 potential sources of issues that I would check:

1) Are the power rails going to this chip working properly? Specifically, the 1.2V rail fed out of pin 5 on Q8191 and the 5V rail at L8134 and Pin 90 of this chip. If not, I would look at the power section and replace any worn capacitors.

a) If I had 5V at pin 90 but 0 volts at L8134 I would suspect Q8134 which is a small transistor that turns on the chip.

2) If the chip is getting all its voltages, I would look to see if there was an issue with the CEC lines. CEC is the signal used by HDMI to conduct handshaking between the TV and the input devices to settle on the best resolution to use. It also carries all of the Audio signals. HDMI uses 5V signals for transmission but the the rest of the devices on an Onkyo are expecting to see a 3.3V signal so Onkyo installs a small "buffer" chip (Q8131) that converts the CEC signal from 5V to 3.3V. This part is an SN74CB3Q3305PWR and these do go bad over time. On older units (like the SR605) where the standard capacitor upgrade doesn't work, the next thing I do is to change all of these parts out. This has solved the issues for me every time. It is microscopic so it is a bit of a pain to install but this is the most likely issue (IMHO).

3) It is possible (but not likely) that the SII9489CTU chip has failed. This isn't very common but it is possible.

Send me a PM if you need more info.

Todd
post #2699 of 2831 Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I've joined the club of No Sound (all outputs, any input) with my PR-SC5508 Like some others have posted, I was sold on the unit for its balanced XLR -- both stereo inputs and pre-outs as well as its comprehensive A/V handling and seemingly high quality at a reasonable mid-level price.

It was nice they offered the extended warranty/repair but it doesn't help me now that the program has apparently ended. I was blissfully unaware of the issue until my unit quit working recently. I put in my serial number on their lame expired-SSL website since Dec 26. Almost a month and they haven't been able to update it? Not very confidence inspiring for the future purchases they are pushing, and the "shoponkyo" website they suggest is pretty broken and unusable to actually order if I so chose.

Anyways, here's what they offered (screenshots below): $218 mail-in rebate on a variety of units at full MSRP, or deeper discounts on a few units which amount to about $218 cheaper than Amazon prices. Without balanced inputs and with HDMI 2.1 on the horizon, I'm feeling disinclined to do anything until I'm pushed into 4K (it's tough giving up my Kuro) video at a $4K price point (or find the space to build a parallel dedicated stereo setup) ...

Inline screenshot attachments:
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onkyo-loss-audio-screenshot-20190121.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	2514002   Click image for larger version

Name:	onkyo-options.png
Views:	392
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2514004  
post #2700 of 2831 Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM

PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by J J A View Post
Well I've joined the club of No Sound (all outputs, any input) with my PR-SC5508 Like some others have posted, I was sold on the unit for its balanced XLR -- both stereo inputs and pre-outs as well as its comprehensive A/V handling and seemingly high quality at a reasonable mid-level price.

It was nice they offered the extended warranty/repair but it doesn't help me now that the program has apparently ended. I was blissfully unaware of the issue until my unit quit working recently. I put in my serial number on their lame expired-SSL website since Dec 26. Almost a month and they haven't been able to update it? Not very confidence inspiring for the future purchases they are pushing, and the "shoponkyo" website they suggest is pretty broken and unusable to actually order if I so chose.

Anyways, here's what they offered (screenshots below): $218 mail-in rebate on a variety of units at full MSRP, or deeper discounts on a few units which amount to about $218 cheaper than Amazon prices. Without balanced inputs and with HDMI 2.1 on the horizon, I'm feeling disinclined to do anything until I'm pushed into 4K (it's tough giving up my Kuro) video at a $4K price point (or find the space to build a parallel dedicated stereo setup) ...

Inline screenshot attachments:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page