AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html)

dgater 08-20-2014 11:14 AM

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

This is great news for all Onkyo owners with failed HDMI/No Sound issues.

zeus33 08-20-2014 03:52 PM

This will be interesting to see how this plays out. They say it is caused by a single element (defective network chip), however, most people with HDMI issues are finding it is cap related and doesn't have anything to do with the network chip.

I hope they cover the HDMI boards for everyone that has issues, but I have a feeling the fine print is going to prevent most failures from being covered. This is one time that I would like to be wrong.

I give them props for taking responsibility, but it should have happened long ago.

It's also interesting how there isn't a list of receivers with the problem, you have to go to their site and enter your serial number to see if it is covered.

Jon S 08-20-2014 10:50 PM

Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....

HHX 08-20-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon S (Post 26752698)
Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....

about 3 months ago I took my tx-nr3007 in for a one time courtesy repair that Onkyo approved for the hdmi no audio issue, got it back with a replaced hdmi board but now my left surround channel is out. No sound at all. I never had that issue before and I'm pretty sure that when they opened it up something went wrong.... Now i have to see if the service center will repair it at no extra cost since that occurred after they worked on it or if i have to pay out of pocket. Just annoyed because a Pioneer Elite unit I've had for 2 years longer hasnt had a single issue and this 3007 that I really enjoyed keeps having problems...

JKR1963 08-20-2014 11:56 PM

It looks like good news. I have the 3009...........and if the Audio goes out it looks like that is covered.........it says the coverage is for loss of audio.........we all know why and what this usually is from..........saying it is just a bad chip makes it sound better than "Our HDMI Boards all will fail"...........that sounds more severe and damaging to their reputation then saying "a bad chip".

If mine goes........I will use the Onkyo coverage instead of my Vision's coverage.........and get my $150 back as a credit to use at Vision's assuming I don't have to claim for another type of "non Onkyo covered repair". This is welcome news for me.

It looks good for Onkyo if they are standing behind their product........but it would be better if they would do the following:

Fix the issue on newly released units.......design or manufacturing issues......whatever......fix it.
Add back XT32 (or a better newer version if there is one next year). Decide to go back to making 3010/5010 grade units..........with the lighted remote like the 09's. The new 3030 has downgraded amps (and weight too).

zeus33 08-21-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

SNIP
.....receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012.....

When was the 905 made? Wasn't it around 2007?

coolcat4843 08-21-2014 09:11 AM

Doesn't the fact that all Onkyo receivers run hot, contribute to the failed HDMI board issues?

Seems to me, that they should concentrate there efforts on finding a way to make cooler operating receivers.

JustaSheep 08-21-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat4843 (Post 26760521)
Doesn't the fact that all Onkyo receivers run hot, contribute to the failed HDMI board issues?

Seems to me, that they should concentrate there efforts on finding a way to make cooler operating receivers.

I read on another thread this has been resolved. New models run from 105-109 (from memory).

Gordon-XZ71 08-21-2014 10:09 AM

A day late and a dollar short for me. They have known about the HDMI issue for years and are just now dealing with it. My (Integra 70.2) is on it's second HDMI Failure in two years. The first was repaired under warranty. It has failed again and my dealer is replacing the whole unit with another one through an exchange program that Integra (Onkyo) has with it's dealers. When I get the replacement, I will sell it as I have no faith that it will not fail again. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A 3040 and will not look back. Onkyo has tarnished it's reputation with repeated failures and repairing with parts that will fail again. It will be quite some time before I trust them again.

audio4life 08-21-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKR1963 (Post 26753234)
It looks like good news. I have the 3009...........and if the Audio goes out it looks like that is covered.........it says the coverage is for loss of audio.........we all know why and what this usually is from..........saying it is just a bad chip makes it sound better than "Our HDMI Boards all will fail"...........that sounds more severe and damaging to their reputation then saying "a bad chip".

If mine goes........I will use the Onkyo coverage instead of my Vision's coverage.........and get my $150 back as a credit to use at Vision's assuming I don't have to claim for another type of "non Onkyo covered repair". This is welcome news for me.

It looks good for Onkyo if they are standing behind there product........but it would be better if they would do the following:

Fix the issue on newly released units.......design or manufacturing issues......whatever......fix it.
Add back XT32 (or a better newer version if there is one next year). Decide to go back to making 3010/5010 grade units..........with the lighted remote like the 09's. The new 3030 has downgraded amps (and weight too).

My 876 is almost 6 years old now. I've read of higher end units like this one failing and I can't help but wonder how many Onkyo owners read about the heat failures on line but shrugged their shoulders at spending $25 to buy a widely available small fan and power source. Maybe they thought that Onkyo shouldn't make faulty units and they shouldn't have to buy a fan, so didn't. I thought, I'll spend 25 in insurance and 6 years later my receiver has been flawless. I'd rather spend for the fan than have a failure or 2 to deal with.

I also wonder how many ignored the instructions in the manual and crammed their Onkyo into tight enclosed shelving(and of course wouldn't admit that to Onkyo)thus ensuring they would cook the hdmi board. It's a mess, I know. Onkyo apparently got the daughter board in question from Toshiba and somehow the spec for the capacitors that fail should have been 105 degrees instead of 85 degrees. At some point they no doubt realized they screwed up, and didn't do much about it. For that their rep has suffered greatly and rightly so. I just look at my flawless 876 and wonder how many could have avoided all the trouble they had by listening to what they read on forums like this. Even now owners are probably reading this and shrugging their shoulders instead of doing something before the trouble strikes.

KidHorn 08-21-2014 10:42 AM

It doesn't sound like this is addressing HDMI board issues. What does the HDMI board have to do with networking? Why would the problem be audio only?

I think this addresses another defect.

Jon S 08-21-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidHorn (Post 26763353)
It doesn't sound like this is addressing HDMI board issues. What does the HDMI board have to do with networking? Why would the problem be audio only?

Another reason to quit Onkyo...

On a sidenote, the TX-NR905 is not covered... Even though it is suffering the same issue, no audio....

JustaSheep 08-21-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

It is the same issue. From first hand experience, when the hdmi audio goes out, so does the networking. I do not know the relationship or which is the cause vs symptom, but it is an accurate reflection of the problem.

I contacted Onkyo back in April, before the announcement mentioned and they fixed it. This is my first Onkyo product and probably my last because I will be likely go w/ separates next purchase, but from the time I've dealt with them, they have handled this the way I would have hoped.

audio4life 08-21-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

I am assuming that "network connection" is referring to the HDMI board. I could be wrong though.

ndskurfer 08-21-2014 01:01 PM

Makes me wonder if my old NR807 would be covered now... After I was getting nowhere with Onkyo in my claim that was just out of warranty, I sold the receiver for parts at a huge loss. Seeing this only burns more considering they didn't want to accept my warranty claim back then. The issue, no sound... lived in an open air completely ventilated shelf with more than enough space to breathe. I have since swore off Onkyo, but will be interesting to see if they fix all of their issues, but I'm going to need to see at least 3 years of quality products to gain any trust back again, and even at that, may avoid out of principal.

MichaelJHuman 08-21-2014 01:22 PM

I would not buy Onkyo having been a regular here for a long time and having read so many complaints. But even Yamaha fails, I have a dead RX-A8xx here that won't stay turned on, and that thing wasn't too old when it failed.

lovinthehd 08-21-2014 01:31 PM

Hmmm....after a few years of use I have just in last few days had an audio dropout here and there and my Onkyo android app has been funky......but hadn't yet suspected the avr at this point but rather my sources (I have not the best internet situation where I live with CenturyLink DSL modem/router, and for all I know DirecTv issues even though a change of channels found audio returning right away and who knows with android apps, new to that but wouldn't be the first one to have issues) but if turns out to be avr glad to see I have an avenue like this. Thanks for posting.

old corps 08-21-2014 01:44 PM

After entering my model # (TX-NR609B) and serial # they say that mine doesn't need the repair. I'm actually not having any problem, knock on wood, but checked off that I was to see if mine would be covered. I'm HOPING that because mine was a refurb purchased directly from Onkyo a little over a year ago MAYBE it had an updated HDMI board or "network chip".
Hey, one can hope........

Ed

zeus33 08-21-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio4life (Post 26763225)
Onkyo apparently got the daughter board in question from Toshiba and somehow the spec for the capacitors that fail should have been 105 degrees instead of 85 degrees. At some point they no doubt realized they screwed up, and didn't do much about it. For that their rep has suffered greatly and rightly so.

The really stupid thing is not fixing the issue once it was brought to their attention and on top of that, they never implemented a change, because people have had their HDMI board replaced under warranty and then had the replacement fail as well! From what I have seen and heard so far, this isn't going to address the HDMI board issue that most people are having.

kwtoxman 08-21-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus33 (Post 26743922)
This will be interesting to see how this plays out. They say it is caused by a single element (defective network chip), however, most people with HDMI issues are finding it is cap related and doesn't have anything to do with the network chip.

Not necessarily, at least for the years mentioned in the warranty extension. My integra DHC 40.1 had issues that were identified as the DSP chip on the HDMI board. It was fixed by Onkyo/Integra after much hassling. It is the same issue that happens to the 40.2 and 40.3 as well as the 80.1-80.3. I don't know the Onkyo side as well, but one can see it is older Onkyo products that generally had the cap issues.

I wonder if this includes Integra Home Theater. I hope so.

zeus33 08-21-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwtoxman (Post 26770729)
Not necessarily, at least for the years mentioned in the warranty extension. My integra DHC 40.1 had issues that were identified as the DSP chip on the HDMI board. It was fixed by Onkyo/Integra after much hassling. It is the same issue that happens to the 40.2 and 40.3 as well as the 80.1-80.3. I don't know the Onkyo side as well, but one can see it is older Onkyo products that generally had the cap issues.

I wonder if this includes Integra Home Theater. I hope so.

I hope you are right, because if it doesn't cover HDMI boards, it's pretty much useless as that is probably 95% of the problems that people have.

Even still, you are saying a DSP chip. That's not the "network chip" they make sure to mention as the source of the problem. Only time will tell.

zalmoth 08-21-2014 04:10 PM

That's funny; my unit was sold as a refurb but the serial number won't fit the refurb serial number field, it fits the new receiver serial number field.

tampabuc 08-21-2014 04:10 PM

Perfect timing. I was experiencing an increased number of Audio & Video drop-outs. Just yesterday, my TX-NR515 died completely. It won't even power on now.

According to the program website, the TX-NR515 is covered.

Off to start the return process and buy a different receiver in the mean time....

JustaSheep 08-21-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus33 (Post 26770841)
I hope you are right, because if it doesn't cover HDMI boards, it's pretty much useless as that is probably 95% of the problems that people have.

Even still, you are saying a DSP chip. That's not the "network chip" they make sure to mention as the source of the problem. Only time will tell.

It does cover the HDMI boards. I had mine repaired out of warranty earlier this year before the mass "recall".

coli 08-21-2014 06:29 PM

The network chip is on the same board as the HDMI.

MadMyers 08-21-2014 06:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
This is good news, assuming they do cover the so called HDMI failure.

Speaking as an 818 owner who has not experienced the problem but expects to some day... and extended until 2018? Cannot complain.

howardru 08-21-2014 07:56 PM

I had my 709 HDMI board repaired about 10 months ago after complaining about another failure on this unit which Onkyo swapped for my original 707 which also failed 2 years earlier with the same problem. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty when the 709 came in and called them on that. DP (Duane) and John manning their social media pages really took ownership and got my unit in and out of service in about 1 week.

audio4life 08-21-2014 08:09 PM

I hope this doesn't sound odd, but being that you've had 4(?) repairs done, you may be able to shed some light on how bad the Onkyo design actually is. I'm just wondering what kind of stand your Onkyo was in, was it enclosed with no air movement or open to the sides and back. Did you try adding fans or moving it to a more open rack, or was it put back in the same spot after each repair?

Ungoy 08-22-2014 09:21 AM

I put the serial number of my TX-NR818 and selected the network grayed out option as well as the loss of audio on all channels, and it came back saying my receiver is eligible. I'm not having any problems, but it looks like being eligible might depend on the combination of options selected.

cablebandit3 08-22-2014 01:48 PM

my 3010 is repaired and waiting for them to send it back

Status Modification Complete, Pending Return Shipment

zeus33 08-22-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cablebandit3 (Post 26796281)
my 3010 is repaired and waiting for them to send it back

Status Modification Complete, Pending Return Shipment

You sent this in before this press release, correct? There's no way you shipped it in and got it repaired in the last few days. They issued the press release on Tuesday this week, so your repair can't have anything to do with this program.

Was it still under warranty?

fitbrit 08-22-2014 02:27 PM

To those who have taken Onkyo up on this:
Do we need proof of purchase when filling out the online form? I am not getting past the first page because I don't know of a valid serial number to enter.
I ask because I sold my fully functional NR1007 last year, and I would like to contact the buyer with the info about this extended warranty should he now be experiencing any problems.

I also sold a working NR5007 and a repaired NR5007 for a fraction of their worth just to be rid of them!
My NR5010, NR3010 and NR717 all work perfectly though.

JustaSheep 08-22-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus33 (Post 26796969)
You sent this in before this press release, correct? There's no way you shipped it in and got it repaired in the last few days. They issued the press release on Tuesday this week, so your repair can't have anything to do with this program.

There are a handful of people here who continue to ignore the fact that Onkyo has been making these repairs on devices out of warranty for about a year (maybe longer). Was it a formal program/recall? No. But, if you asked them, they fixed it, as they did mine back in April of this year on a TX-NR809 that is 3 years old w/o an extended warranty.

Redacted - my apologies.

JustaSheep 08-22-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitbrit (Post 26797537)
Do we need proof of purchase when filling out the online form? I am not getting past the first page because I don't know of a valid serial number to enter.
I ask because I sold my fully functional NR1007 last year, and I would like to contact the buyer with the info about this extended warranty should he now be experiencing any problems.

I also sold a working NR5007 and a repaired NR5007 for a fraction of their worth just to be rid of them!
My NR5010, NR3010 and NR717 all work perfectly though.

I did provide a receipt but my email to them doesn't indicate they asked for it. They probably did ask for it, though, on the Onkyo forum where I first made contact with them. Mine was taken care of outside the scope of this program, though, so the rules may have changed.

zeus33 08-22-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustaSheep (Post 26799513)
There are a handful of people here who continue to ignore the fact that Onkyo has been making these repairs on devices out of warranty for about a year (maybe longer). Was it a formal program/recall? No. But, if you asked them, they fixed it, as they did mine back in April of this year on a TX-NR809 that is 3 years old w/o an extended warranty.

Should they have done it sooner? Yep. Should they cover shipping? Probably. Would that have made you happy? I'm beginning to doubt it.

Whoa, easy there.....I'm not an Onkyo basher, quite the contrary, I WANT them to help people and cover repairs and I have heard of multiple times that they have covered repairs out of warranty. I just wanted clarification of if yours was due to this program. You listing it in this thread kind of implies that and it's not true. I'm glad that they fixed it for you, but we are trying to get an assessment of repairs that they do under this program and figure out what is and isn't covered by it. Your repair was not. Some people are putting their info in on the site and it says they are eligible (ironically, they don't have issues and were just checking out of curiosity) and some people with problems put their serial in and it tells them it doesn't apply to their model. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is a "save face" program that won't really end up doing much to resolve HDMI board issues due to the fine print.

You obviously have some predetermined idea of my position with Onkyo and I'm telling you that you are flat wrong. I have used Onkyo receivers for two decades and recommended them to friends and family. Unfortunately, with this whole HDMI board issue and now them dropping Audyssey, I can't recommend them anymore. That doesn't mean that I don't want customers to be able to get their receivers repaired though. Just for clarification, I do dislike AccuEQ very much, but that is AccuEQ, not Onkyo. Judging by your response, I'm assuming you are basing your assumptions off posts I have made regarding AccuEQ. It is quite unfortunate that Onkyo chose that route.

Also, I own an 818, 805, an ancient TX-SV717Pro and one of their stereo receivers (can't remember the model as it's a garage system), so obviously I don't hate Onkyo.

Wdawg1000 08-22-2014 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=fitbrit;26797537]To those who have taken Onkyo up on this:
QUOTE]

I have a PR-SC5508 that has the network problem. I filled out the form last night and all that was required was a model number and serial number for the repair. They are supposed to send me packing materials for the return to a repair facility.

I also looked at the swap option. They were offering $200+ dollars rebate on a new unit which required a receipt to claim. I chose the repair.

Good luck

Bob

JustaSheep 08-22-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus33 (Post 26800089)
Whoa, easy there.....I'm not an Onkyo basher, quite the contrary, I WANT them to help people and cover repairs and I have heard of multiple times that they have covered repairs out of warranty. I just wanted clarification of if yours was due to this program. You listing it in this thread kind of implies that and it's not true. I'm glad that they fixed it for you, but we are trying to get an assessment of repairs that they do under this program and figure out what is and isn't covered by it. Your repair was not.

I believe I listed the date (April) which puts it outside the scope of this program, but it IS the same repair.

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier, I think this is a "save face" program that won't really end up doing much to resolve HDMI board issues due to the fine print.

If this is true, why did they fix mine and others prior to the program? I made one single post on their forum requesting assistance and one email later I had approval for the repair. If you search their forum, you will find many cases where they outlined the steps to get this rectified prior to the formal program.

Quote:

You obviously have some predetermined idea of my position with Onkyo and I'm telling you that you are flat wrong. I have used Onkyo receivers for two decades and recommended them to friends and family. Unfortunately, with this whole HDMI board issue and now them dropping Audyssey, I can't recommend them anymore. That doesn't mean that I don't want customers to be able to get their receivers repaired though.

As stated in PM, my apologies and we are in agreement. I would not recommend them either, but I am pleased they took care of the problem for me.

PhilWang 08-22-2014 04:50 PM

I experienced this issue last weekend with my HT-RC360 (purchased Nov 2011). No audio, Network and Firmware upgrade options on menu greyed out.

Called Onkyo support and followed the online directions to determine that my unit qualified for the repair. Now waiting for them to send me a shipping box.

I've had generally positive experiences with Onkyo, still have an Integra TX-870 which is built like a tank. I am glad they're owning up to this defect and are providing out of warranty repair. That said, I'd be hesitant to buy a new Onkyo HT receiver unless I were confident that the HDMI board issues were behind them.

Will update as this process progresses.

turnne1 08-22-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

that may be too old to quality for the program....?

A few years ago...they actually replaced my 905 with a 5009....after a few different issues

Warren

turnne1 08-22-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

I would say a 3010 would likely be under warranty

Warren

turnne1 08-22-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman (Post 26768233)
I would not buy Onkyo having been a regular here for a long time and having read so many complaints. But even Yamaha fails, I have a dead RX-A8xx here that won't stay turned on, and that thing wasn't too old when it failed.

true

my HDMI board went south of the Yamaha Z7 I owned some years ago

It was fixed under warranty...and I sold it sometime later( for more than I originally paid for it) and bought an A3000

Warren

fitbrit 08-22-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdawg1000 (Post 26800473)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fitbrit (Post 26797537)

I have a PR-SC5508 that has the network problem. I filled out the form last night and all that was required was a model number and serial number for the repair. They are supposed to send me packing materials for the return to a repair facility.

I also looked at the swap option. They were offering $200+ dollars rebate on a new unit which required a receipt to claim. I chose the repair.

Good luck

Bob

Thanks very much, Bob!

cablebandit3 08-23-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Yeah I just emailed Joe Torres like several have mentioned about my hdmi going out and he immediately offered a 1 time out of warranty repair. He sent me a shipping box with prepaid shipping label and insisted it be sent to Onkyo instead of authorized repair center. I found that part unusual as I have had to pay for shipping on previous warrantied repairs

turnne1 08-23-2014 05:35 AM

Looks like Onkyo is finally stepping up to the plate after all these years

Wonder why the change...
a little too much bad press, perhaps
Their HDMI board story is all over every A/V board and dealers speak the same way

Warren

NorthSky 08-23-2014 06:25 AM

Wow, I just stumbled into this thread.

I think AccuEQ needs support, and that's one way of doing business...

htpcforever 08-23-2014 06:34 AM

I ran my serial number through the system just to check it out and it says I am eligible for a free fix. I do not have ANY problems at all, but it is nice to know I have an extended warranty just in case something does come up. KUDOS to Onkyo!

Ray77085 08-23-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpcforever (Post 26810930)
I ran my serial number through the system just to check it out and it says I am eligible for a free fix. I do not have ANY problems at all, but it is nice to know I have an extended warranty just in case something does come up. KUDOS to Onkyo!

Having a piece of mind go's along way with me !! I don't have any issues with my 809 to date !!:D

jayromy 08-24-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnne1 (Post 26810114)
Looks like Onkyo is finally stepping up to the plate after all these years

Wonder why the change...
a little too much bad press, perhaps
Their HDMI board story is all over every A/V board and dealers speak the same way

Warren

Sent in my 809 three weeks ago to have this very issue (No sound, network, front panel speaker display) repaired out of warranty. I got my 809 back from Onkyo the day this release was issued.

I'm gonna assume it was my 809 that finally sent them over the edge.

You're welcome, everybody.

quad4.0 08-24-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cablebandit3 (Post 26809138)
Yeah I just emailed Joe Torres like several have mentioned about my hdmi going out and he immediately offered a 1 time out of warranty repair. He sent me a shipping box with prepaid shipping label and insisted it be sent to Onkyo instead of authorized repair center. I found that part unusual as I have had to pay for shipping on previous warrantied repairs

Problem is: like my avr-it's 55 lbs! Took a bit to get it here-(bought used) if she goes south, I would rather take to auth. center that's close to home-way cheaper.

turnne1 08-24-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26810802)
Wow, I just stumbled into this thread.

I think AccuEQ needs support, and that's one way of doing business...

all these failed units from year after year....

not sure it makes any difference what RC system they used if the unit doesn't work

there has to be a reason that thread after model thread talk about the same failure since 2007

...and then there are 3-4 dedicated Onkyo/Integra unit failure threads as well

yes....I think they were somewhat forced to do this

reputation was going down and down and down.......:mad:

Warren

XARiUS 08-24-2014 05:41 PM

Haven't posted here in years, but my 709 just crapped out this weekend. Audio went out. After a few power cycles, the audio came back, but now my network/firmware upgrade is grayed out and my network control is borked, even though it's still on the network and pinging on the correct IP, the control port is non-responsive.

My serial number is approved for the repair and they offered me $150 trade in, or free repair. I commend them for (finally) stepping up and fixing this issue. My last Onkyo receiver died from an HDMI board failure and was out of warranty. I opted for a new receiver at the time.

THIS time however, having been out of the game for a few years while blissfully enjoying my setup, I decided to take a look at their new offerings and consider the trade-up. It would appear they no longer offer full pre-outs on anything below the 838 model! That sucker is currently going for a grand. To trade in for an equivalent model, I'd be out $850 with their "trade-in" program. The 7 series was always the sweet spot for those of us semi-budget conscious who needed a receiver with ample HDMI inputs and a full set of pre-outs for the ~$600 mark.

I'm going for the free repair option and will wait for the sweet looking 838 to decline in price, as they always do, around Christmas or after the new year.

raynist 08-24-2014 07:55 PM

I have a PR-SC5509 that was purchased in the fall of 2013. I wonder if it would be covered?

I use dual 120mm fans over it in an open rack just to be safe.

NorthSky 08-24-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnne1 (Post 26848529)
all these failed units from year after year....

not sure it makes any difference what RC system they used if the unit doesn't work

there has to be a reason that thread after model thread talk about the same failure since 2007

...and then there are 3-4 dedicated Onkyo/Integra unit failure threads as well

yes....I think they were somewhat forced to do this

reputation was going down and down and down.......:mad:

Warren

Warren, Onkyo is in a hole (financial hole) and with AccuEQ on top of that (bad EQ system), they need to do anything possible @ this point to survive. But it's too late I think; they'll get even deeper in their hole.
If they don't sell they'll need to regroup and completely restructure themselves by hiring a quality control team with a new customer service team. ...Failing to do that they'll be going into oblivion for a number of years till some renewed magic powder (aspirin) resurface.

I might be wrong in my thinking; but that's what I can read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynist (Post 26851833)
I have a PR-SC5509 that was purchased in the fall of 2013. I wonder if it would be covered?

I use dual 120mm fans over it in an open rack just to be safe.

Your 5509 is still operating properly? ...Or are you experiencing audio dropouts as well?

* Putting two fans atop is a good idea; Onkyo should have mentioned that in their manual.
{I use only one myself, and six inches or so of free space above, and so far so good, and I never used the video processing, ever. ...No CEC control either. ...And no on-screen display, ever. ...And the lowest front panel dimming level.} ...All those things should be more emphasized in their manuals, because any one of them can cause issues. And their own internal fans are not properly adjusted @ the right temperature level; to turn on before extremely hot.

Good lock Onkyo in 2015 and beyond.

turnne1 08-25-2014 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26854785)
Warren, Onkyo is in a hole (financial hole) and with AccuEQ on top of that (bad EQ system), they need to do anything possible @ this point to survive. But it's too late I think; they'll get even deeper in their hole.
If they don't sell they'll need to regroup and completely restructure themselves by hiring a quality control team with a new customer service team. ...Failing to do that they'll be going into oblivion for a number of years till some renewed magic powder (aspirin) resurface.

Your 5509 is still operating properly? ...Or are you experiencing audio dropouts as well?

* Putting two fans atop is a good idea; Onkyo should have mentioned that in their manual.
{I use only one myself, and six inches or so of free space above, and so far so good, and I never used the video processing, ever. ...No CEC control either. ...And no on-screen display, ever. ...And the lowest front panel dimming level.} ...All those things should be more emphasized in their manuals, because any one of them can cause issues. And their own internal fans are not properly adjusted @ the right temperature level; to turn on before extremely hot.

Good lock Onkyo in 2015 and beyond.

I wasnt aware of their financial situation

IMO
However...they can make a lower priced unit than their competitors with an " equivalent" feature set....and "IF" it is reliable then it will sell

Their volume of units sold probably were lower end units without Audessey XT32 anyway....so that is somewhat of a moot point

Warranty claims and "bad" word of mouth , from every A/V forum on their web has had to have impacted them

In regard to the fans and other settings to help prolong their unit's life;...you can read threads since 2007 where people have done just that and still had failure

Some owners have been just fine.
I myself...having owned about 8 units in the past 7 years have had several warranty claims and 2 units that were completely replaced

So...failure was real and widespread

Warren

ImpliedConsent 08-25-2014 04:18 AM

No kiddin' eh? I thought it was just me. Well, as soon as I get home, I'll be checking my serial number. Thx for the heads up. Its funny how my search criteria on anything audio/visual brings me straight here... :p

audio4life 08-25-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26854785)

I hear you northsky, but I wonder if they are in such bad shape. Buying a stake in Pioneer, offering this new warranty program and investing in Atmos technology, those are moves that are not something a financially strapped corporation can do. I agree they've had some bad years, but as I mentioned in another post, I think they wouldn't do all these things just to embrace a sucky EQ system. I think they will make some kind of change there a year or two down the road or else all these other moves are somewhat wasted. I could certainly be wrong, however.

What's your experience been, have you owned any Onkyos, anything break down on you? I bought 2 units over the years, and neither has had a hint of trouble. Mind you, the first one was a TX SR504 about a year before my 876 came along. I finally sold the 504 but the 876 is almost 6 years old, and I've had a small fan over the HDMI board for at least 5 of those years. Actually I was given a 906 just recently that had no HDMI functions and I fixed it using the thread on this forum.

NorthSky 08-25-2014 10:59 PM

Oh yes, I had a bunch of Onkyo receivers in the past. ...No major issues because I just knew what to do (I read AVS Forums for many many years). But my personal situation is not @ all representative of the overall picture. And it is that overall picture that you have to take a look @. I never rely on myself to make a fair assessment of the world we live in; I use common sense by contacting the most people I can, and from all over the world; not just here in my own continent, and country and town and neighborhood and home.
...So, several direct contacts (audio/video forums), readings (WWW - World Wide Web), and assessing it all together (averaging).

Onkyo has been losing money from the last few years; 2012 being their worst. ...In millions ($$$ $$$ $$$) + of dollars (Japanese dollars - Yens).

They are financially related with Gibson (guitars, and guitar picks) now. ...Investment wise.

dildatonr 08-26-2014 06:50 AM

9 Attachment(s)
What are your actual sources for the assertion that Onkyo is in a financial hole right now?

Everything I can find indicates 2014 to be a very good year for them historically. and that 2009 was their roughest year in the last decade.

While it doesn't compare to the huge surge they had for 2005, to say they are in "in a hole" seems to be a tad hyperbolic to say the least. Of course asserting they are in a hole is one thing, asserting it's because of perceived bad word of mouth on some internet forums is something else. Assertions presented without evidence can be rejected without evidence.

http://performance.morningstar.com/s...&culture=en-US

jcab2000 08-26-2014 08:02 AM

It's truly bizarre that my TX-NR708 had worked perfectly until the day this thread was created. I didn't even know about the HDMI problem until I searched for it.

I might have gone for an upgrade if they offered more than $125 for it, what a joke.

ImpliedConsent 08-26-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent (Post 26856985)
No kiddin' eh? I thought it was just me. Well, as soon as I get home, I'll be checking my serial number. Thx for the heads up. Its funny how my search criteria on anything audio/visual brings me straight here... :p

Nope, my TX-NR509 (circa 2011, HDMI v1.4a was not available in 2007) not eligible. Guess I'll be searching for another brand receiver. Any suggestion for a mid-range receiver?

JustaSheep 08-26-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent (Post 26891673)
Nope, my TX-NR509 (circa 2011, HDMI v1.4a was not available in 2007) not eligible. Guess I'll be searching for another brand receiver. Any suggestion for a mid-range receiver?

Did you try asking them directly? All they can do is say no. I would trust the people who automated the warranty process less than I would Onkyo support. I would contact them on the Onkyo forum or call.

nduarte7 08-26-2014 10:16 AM

I posted the following query on the ONKYO Support Forums and got this reply. What do you guys think - is it too risky to go for the NR636 replacement after all the issues? Their reply is standard and does not address my component (HDMI board?) change.

Replacement Offer for TX-NR 709

http://forums.onkyousa.com/styles/pr...ost_target.gifPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm
by nduarte7
Onkyo is offering a rebate in lieu of repair for the sound issues connected with this receiver. I would like to know if the newer model (e.g., TX-NR636) has a different hardware component that is not prone to the same issues as the 709. It would be horrible to trade for a newer model with the same problems http://forums.onkyousa.com/images/sm...n_rolleyes.gif
Re: Replacement Offer for TX-NR 709

http://forums.onkyousa.com/styles/pr...ost_target.gifPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 am
by FORUMMODERATOR3
You can be assured that the NR636 will provide reliable operation (under normal conditions), if an issue arises, Onkyo will be happy to take care of it.

-FM3

Mark Hoy 08-26-2014 11:38 AM

Nice, my TX-NR1007 is suffering from this AGAIN, and am getting really tired of the drop outs. At least it's listed as eligible for repair. Switching to a Pioneer VSX-1124 and once it comes in, I'll fix the Onkyo and sell it.

Archaea 08-26-2014 12:15 PM

312 Attachment(s)
I don't have any network problems per se' I do have the occassional HDMI drop out, where I have to cycle the video modes to get it to come back. 1080p/24 to through, or source. Switch and switch back and it works again. I alos have audio and video drop outs on several different sources including PC, Roku, and PS3. Very occassionally - liek three times the screen turns to rainbow fuzz and I can't see anything until I power cycle. Are these the types of problems the 'network' chip is supposed to address? The problems are becoming increasingly more frequent with my Onkyo PR-55508 that just ran out of warranty a month ago. :(

rprice54 08-26-2014 12:22 PM

I'll have to try my old 3007. I've been using to power some outside speakers since it died a second time.

jcab2000 08-26-2014 12:40 PM

What is a current non-Onkyo model similar (or slightly better) to TX-NR708? I've always been quite happy with the sound. Think I'll just get mine repaired and sell it. Not interested in dealing with endless repairs.

smurraybhm 08-26-2014 12:58 PM

Denon 4000 - great price right now as things shift over to the new models for this year. Plus you would have XT32 and SubEq :)

cablebandit3 08-26-2014 02:07 PM

got my 3010 back today. Seems to work perfectly once again. Ill let my friend demo the x4000 while i enjoy the 3010 for a bit...hopefully :)

zeus33 08-26-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cablebandit3 (Post 26902609)
got my 3010 back today. Seems to work perfectly once again. Ill let my friend demo the x4000 while i enjoy the 3010 for a bit...hopefully :)

Good news!

Slightly off topic....how would you compare the Denon to the Onkyo. I will be moving to another brand that still has XT32 for the next one and Denon is at the top of the short list.

Thanks

cablebandit3 08-26-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus33 (Post 26902961)
Good news!

Slightly off topic....how would you compare the Denon to the Onkyo. I will be moving to another brand that still has XT32 for the next one and Denon is at the top of the short list.

Thanks

The onkyo has more features BUT....i only use 5.2.....sometimes i use the rear surrounds for 7.2 and I dont use other zones. For that either works fine and the Denon would be the smarter choice based on price. On movies both sound exactly the same to me and now music sounds the same as well. I would purchase based on the price vs options that you need. While my 3010 was being repaired, I didnt miss anything by using the denon x4000. I hope this helps

turnne1 08-26-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 26899369)
' I do have the occassional HDMI drop out, where I have to cycle the video modes to get it to come back. 1080p/24 to through, or source. Switch and switch back and it works again.

typically the first signs of impending failure

I have a 906 right now that does the same thing...it sits in my office and is rarely used so its somewhat of a moot point
My 5508 though
I paid Onkyo the $50 or so when I bought it to give me two additional years of warranty...for a total of 4
My plan was get rid of it before the end of the extended warranty
though I may keep it now for a while because of this warranty extension program they have

Warren

turnne1 08-26-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurraybhm (Post 26900905)
Denon 4000 - great price right now as things shift over to the new models for this year. Plus you would have XT32 and SubEq :)

for the $200-250 more price difference between the 4000 and the 4520 makes the 4520 a much more attractive option IMO

Warren

turnne1 08-26-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26884081)
Oh yes, I had a bunch of Onkyo receivers in the past. ...No major issues because I just knew what to do (I read AVS Forums for many many years). But my personal situation is not @ all representative of the overall picture. And it is that overall picture that you have to take a look @. I never rely on myself to make a fair assessment of the world we live in; I use common sense by contacting the most people I can, and from all over the world; not just here in my own continent, and country and town and neighborhood and home.
...So, several direct contacts (audio/video forums), readings (WWW - World Wide Web), and assessing it all together (averaging).

Onkyo has been losing money from the last few years; 2012 being their worst. ...In millions ($$$ $$$ $$$) + of dollars (Japanese dollars - Yens).

They are financially related with Gibson (guitars, and guitar picks) now. ...Investment wise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dildatonr (Post 26889425)
What are your actual sources for the assertion that Onkyo is in a financial hole right now?

Everything I can find indicates 2014 to be a very good year for them historically. and that 2009 was their roughest year in the last decade.

While it doesn't compare to the huge surge they had for 2005, to say they are in "in a hole" seems to be a tad hyperbolic to say the least. Of course asserting they are in a hole is one thing, asserting it's because of perceived bad word of mouth on some internet forums is something else. Assertions presented without evidence can be rejected without evidence.

http://performance.morningstar.com/s...&culture=en-US

I had heard that Yamaha was the best performing financially of the Asian manufacturers

though the person that stated this, here on AVS, never provided their source
Pioneer had been on the fringe for years with their home A/V business
I frankly thought they would have jumped out of it completely shortly after they left the Tv business

They seem to do well on car audio...but home audio not so much

Warren

shah993 08-26-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Check the note on top of the sn space it says that the last letter should be omitted incase it has a 17 letter digit combination.It happened to me and luckily I saw that notice.Good luck.

jcab2000 08-26-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnne1 (Post 26903937)
for the $200-250 more price difference between the 4000 and the 4520 makes the 4520 a much more attractive option IMO

Warren

Geez, I got my 708 for about $600, now we're talking $1600.

turnne1 08-26-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcab2000 (Post 26906569)
Geez, I got my 708 for about $600, now we're talking $1600.

a different level of model....
had you bought the 3008 at the same time you would have paid about $1200

there is always a price difference in the Onkyo( lower priced) and Denon units that compete against each other

Warren

Tallen234 08-26-2014 08:33 PM

Well, my 876 crapped the bed two week ago. Too bad it isn't covered by this bulletin....back to Denon (x4000 on its way).

NorthSky 08-26-2014 08:56 PM

If only Onkyo had kept Audyssey, and improved upon it; with MultEQ XT64.

audio4life 08-26-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallen234 (Post 26911025)
Well, my 876 crapped the bed two week ago. Too bad it isn't covered by this bulletin....back to Denon (x4000 on its way).

So you are saying you phoned Onkyo and talked to a real live person and they told you no? Because they've been accepting units out of warranty so even if you're moving to another brand you could have gotten this one fixed for free then sold it for a few hundred. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands for free, I just fixed a 906 by following the HDMI board thread here. I'm sure I could fix yours or use it for parts on my 876!

Tallen234 08-26-2014 09:06 PM

Good point. I'll give it a shot. I usually give these types of (broken) things it to my brother in law who is pretty handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio4life (Post 26911561)
So you are saying you phoned Onkyo and talked to a real live person and they told you no? Because they've been accepting units out of warranty so even if you're moving to another brand you could have gotten this one fixed for free then sold it for a few hundred. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands for free, I just fixed a 906 by following the HDMI board thread here. I'm sure I could fix yours or use it for parts on my 876!

eaayoung 08-26-2014 09:11 PM

Purchased my 876 in 11/2008 which is outside the time noted in this thread. No problems but I've really pampered my 876. Anyone have success in getting Onkyo to warranty a 2008 receiver for this extended warranty program?

NorthSky 08-26-2014 09:23 PM

* Onkyo TX-NR905: 2007 model.
** Onkyo TX-NR906 & TX-SR876: 2008 models.

=> Those are before 2009, so from reading the first original post of this thread they are not included in that extended warranty, no? It's for certain models made between 2009 and 2012, no?

What about all them receivers and SSPs on eBay? ...All the broken units everywhere in dumpsters, garage sales, salvation army stores, thrift stores, etc. /// The broken 5010 you just sold to a kid for hundred bucks...
What about the thousands and thousands of broken units that nobody is aware of outside of AVS? ...People simply just don't know about this and will never get them fixed. Because they'll never read about it.

eaayoung 08-26-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26912017)
* Onkyo TX-NR905: 2007 model.
** Onkyo TX-NR906 & TX-SR876: 2008 models.

=> Those are before 2009, so from reading the first original post of this thread they are not included in that extended warranty, no? It's for certain models made between 2009 and 2012, no?

What about all them receivers and SSPs on eBay? ...All the broken units everywhere in dumpsters, garage sales, salvation army stores, thrift stores, etc. /// The broken 5010 you just sold to a kid for hundred bucks...
What about the thousands and thousands of broken units that nobody is aware of outside of AVS? ...People simply just don't know about this and will never get them fixed. Because they'll never read about it.

When your click on the link, it takes you to Onkyo website that lays our the extended warranty program. My set is out of the listed time frame by 2 months. I guess they had to cut it off some where. But the 876 is known for having HDMI board issues.

NorthSky 08-26-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaayoung (Post 26912257)
When your click on the link, it takes you to Onkyo website that lays our the extended warranty program. My set is out of the listed time frame by 2 months. I guess they had to cut it off some where. But the 876 is known for having HDMI board issues.

Onkyo receivers had issues from all the years starting in 2007 to 2013; that I know, so why restrict them?
All of those years Onkyo had HDMI board issues, heat issues, audio issues, front panel display issues, etc.

Anyway what counts is that the people reading this might finally get some help with their defective units.

For seven years to be an Onkyo owner meant for many to be a repairman, for others to suffer aggravation and frustration, for many to become members here @ AVS, for others to never swim those waters ever again, and for others to buy fans, to take extreme measures, to pay attention, to read carefully, to do things normal owners don't normally do.

Yeah for sure many are mainly happy with only very few minor issues; but overall the wave of disappointments is real and customer service is poor and real issues are very annoying.

So, this is better than nothing, even if it's late in the game. But there is also a valuable lesson learned here, and that, each person can assess it for himself.

jcab2000 08-27-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnne1 (Post 26908785)
a different level of model....
had you bought the 3008 at the same time you would have paid about $1200

there is always a price difference in the Onkyo( lower priced) and Denon units that compete against each other

Warren

Are you saying that my 708 which I paid $600 for sounded about as good or almost as good as a 4000 or 4520 Denon ($1300-1600) today? Would a 2000 be a huge step down? I do need some power for my Polk 70s which are (were) bi-amped.

turnne1 08-27-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26912017)

oh yes...LOL

like I said before.....getting rid of Audessey is definitely not their largest challenge

they have got to improve their reliability and reputation

a lot of people...in ever increasing numbers on AVS....will not touch another Onkyo product

and it has zero to do with what RC system they use

Warren

turnne1 08-27-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcab2000 (Post 26918593)
Are you saying that my 708 which I paid $600 for sounded about as good or almost as good as a 4000 or 4520 Denon ($1300-1600) today? Would a 2000 be a huge step down? I do need some power for my Polk 70s which are (were) bi-amped.

I dont know...as I never heard a Onkyo 708 or a Denon X4000

what I was saying was to compare an Onkyo unit to the 4520...it would be the 3010

Had you bought the comparable model Onkyo , to the Denon, when you bought your 708..it would have been the 3008 at about twice what you paid

How much difference is there in the 708 and 3008...you would have to be the judge of that

I will tell you that both the Onkyo 3008/3010 and Denon 4520 are all nice sounding units
A guy that bought one of my Onkyo 5009's about a year ago told me there was a definite difference to him in the sound of the 5009 and his 3008....to his ears

Warren

jcab2000 08-27-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnne1 (Post 26919337)
I dont know...as I never heard a Onkyo 708 or a Denon X4000

what I was saying was to compare an Onkyo unit to the 4520...it would be the 3010

Had you bought the comparable model Onkyo , to the Denon, when you bought your 708..it would have been the 3008 at about twice what you paid

How much difference is there in the 708 and 3008...you would have to be the judge of that

I will tell you that both the Onkyo 3008/3010 and Denon 4520 are all nice sounding units
A guy that bought one of my Onkyo 5009's about a year ago told me there was a definite difference to him in the sound of the 5009 and his 3008....to his ears

Warren

I appreciate the reply, but it's not too helpful for me as all of those are way over my budget. I'm just curious what current Denons have similar or slightly better sound quality to the 708. I haven't heard a 3008 or 5009, not at my house on my speakers anyway.

turnne1 08-27-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcab2000 (Post 26919961)
I appreciate the reply, but it's not too helpful for me as all of those are way over my budget. I'm just curious what current Denons have similar or slightly better sound quality to the 708. I haven't heard a 3008 or 5009, not at my house on my speakers anyway.

based on what I see the closest thing to an Onkyo 708 would be an X3000

Warren

jcab2000 08-27-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnne1 (Post 26920089)
based on what I see the closest thing to an Onkyo 708 would be an X3000

Warren

Thanks, that looks more like it. I'll probably wait for it to go on clearance like the 2000 did (hopefully).

eaayoung 08-27-2014 05:56 PM

I inputed the serial number for my 876 and got a response it's not part of the warranty program. However, the website suggested I call service to discuss my problem. They open the door at least. Won't be calling since my unit is not having any problems. Probably just a matter of time.

PhilWang 08-27-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWang (Post 26800961)
I experienced this issue last weekend with my HT-RC360 (purchased Nov 2011). No audio, Network and Firmware upgrade options on menu greyed out.

Called Onkyo support and followed the online directions to determine that my unit qualified for the repair. Now waiting for them to send me a shipping box.

I've had generally positive experiences with Onkyo, still have an Integra TX-870 which is built like a tank. I am glad they're owning up to this defect and are providing out of warranty repair. That said, I'd be hesitant to buy a new Onkyo HT receiver unless I were confident that the HDMI board issues were behind them.

Will update as this process progresses.

FWIW, I called in the problem with Onkyo on 8/21 and received my shipping box this morning. The unit is on it's way back postage pre-paid as of 8/27.

coli 08-27-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthSky (Post 26911505)
If only Onkyo had kept Audyssey, and improved upon it; with MultEQ XT64.

Actually, I wished they would have switched to Dirac.

turnne1 08-27-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coli (Post 26937897)

or ARC

Warren

htpcforever 08-27-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaayoung (Post 26936937)
I inputed the serial number for my 876 and got a response it's not part of the warranty program. However, the website suggested I call service to discuss my problem. They open the door at least. Won't be calling since my unit is not having any problems. Probably just a matter of time.

Or it means they built your unit with a different chip and you will never have the problem. But at least you have no problem right now, which is always a good thing. :)

eaayoung 08-27-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpcforever (Post 26938465)
Or it means they built your unit with a different chip and you will never have the problem. But at least you have no problem right now, which is always a good thing. :)

Except the 876 is well known for having the HDMI problems. I've really pampered my 876. I've never kept it in a cabinet and normally only use it when watching movies.

NorthSky 08-27-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaayoung (Post 26936937)

Oh I like that. ...Let me see if my 2008 receiver is covered by this new extended warranty. ...Nope, but that's ok my receiver is working just fine for now. ...And if ever it fails, say by November 2018, then I will call Onkyo through their open door to see if I can make a special arrangement. :)
Way to go, with an open door towards the future. I feel good, I feel better than James Brown. :kiss::grin:

audio4life 08-27-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaayoung (Post 26938585)
Except the 876 is well known for having the HDMI problems. I've really pampered my 876. I've never kept it in a cabinet and normally only use it when watching movies.

I bought my 876 in Nov of 2008 too. I've always had a fan on mine, let's see which one lasts longer! Seriously though, the 906 I just repaired was 5 years old and the guy never put a fan on it. I think the HDMI boards on the flagship level models were more robust as they seemed to last longer before breakdown. Since we put fans on them(mine never gets above 39 degrees celsius( using the 3 button code to get interior temp) I wouldn't be surprised if they last 12-15 years.

NorthSky 08-27-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coli (Post 26937897)

Yes, in your sweet dreams...

NorthSky 08-27-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaayoung (Post 26938585)
Except the 876 is well known for having the HDMI problems. I've really pampered my 876.
I've never kept it in a cabinet and normally only use it when watching movies.

The 876 was probably the best invention since the wheel.