AVS Forum banner

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

648K views 3K replies 699 participants last post by  aletras 
#1 ·
Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

This is great news for all Onkyo owners with failed HDMI/No Sound issues.

See less See more
#2 ·
This will be interesting to see how this plays out. They say it is caused by a single element (defective network chip), however, most people with HDMI issues are finding it is cap related and doesn't have anything to do with the network chip.

I hope they cover the HDMI boards for everyone that has issues, but I have a feeling the fine print is going to prevent most failures from being covered. This is one time that I would like to be wrong.

I give them props for taking responsibility, but it should have happened long ago.

It's also interesting how there isn't a list of receivers with the problem, you have to go to their site and enter your serial number to see if it is covered.

#20 ·
This will be interesting to see how this plays out. They say it is caused by a single element (defective network chip), however, most people with HDMI issues are finding it is cap related and doesn't have anything to do with the network chip.
Not necessarily, at least for the years mentioned in the warranty extension. My integra DHC 40.1 had issues that were identified as the DSP chip on the HDMI board. It was fixed by Onkyo/Integra after much hassling. It is the same issue that happens to the 40.2 and 40.3 as well as the 80.1-80.3. I don't know the Onkyo side as well, but one can see it is older Onkyo products that generally had the cap issues.

I wonder if this includes Integra Home Theater. I hope so.

#3 ·
Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....

#4 ·
about 3 months ago I took my tx-nr3007 in for a one time courtesy repair that Onkyo approved for the hdmi no audio issue, got it back with a replaced hdmi board but now my left surround channel is out. No sound at all. I never had that issue before and I'm pretty sure that when they opened it up something went wrong.... Now i have to see if the service center will repair it at no extra cost since that occurred after they worked on it or if i have to pay out of pocket. Just annoyed because a Pioneer Elite unit I've had for 2 years longer hasnt had a single issue and this 3007 that I really enjoyed keeps having problems...

Reactions: Rbjack
#5 · (Edited)
It looks like good news. I have the 3009...........and if the Audio goes out it looks like that is covered.........it says the coverage is for loss of audio.........we all know why and what this usually is from..........saying it is just a bad chip makes it sound better than "Our HDMI Boards all will fail"...........that sounds more severe and damaging to their reputation then saying "a bad chip".

If mine goes........I will use the Onkyo coverage instead of my Vision's coverage.........and get my $150 back as a credit to use at Vision's assuming I don't have to claim for another type of "non Onkyo covered repair". This is welcome news for me.

It looks good for Onkyo if they are standing behind their product........but it would be better if they would do the following:

Fix the issue on newly released units.......design or manufacturing issues......whatever......fix it.
Add back XT32 (or a better newer version if there is one next year). Decide to go back to making 3010/5010 grade units..........with the lighted remote like the 09's. The new 3030 has downgraded amps (and weight too).

#10 ·
It looks like good news. I have the 3009...........and if the Audio goes out it looks like that is covered.........it says the coverage is for loss of audio.........we all know why and what this usually is from..........saying it is just a bad chip makes it sound better than "Our HDMI Boards all will fail"...........that sounds more severe and damaging to their reputation then saying "a bad chip".

If mine goes........I will use the Onkyo coverage instead of my Vision's coverage.........and get my $150 back as a credit to use at Vision's assuming I don't have to claim for another type of "non Onkyo covered repair". This is welcome news for me.

It looks good for Onkyo if they are standing behind there product........but it would be better if they would do the following:

Fix the issue on newly released units.......design or manufacturing issues......whatever......fix it.
Add back XT32 (or a better newer version if there is one next year). Decide to go back to making 3010/5010 grade units..........with the lighted remote like the 09's. The new 3030 has downgraded amps (and weight too).
My 876 is almost 6 years old now. I've read of higher end units like this one failing and I can't help but wonder how many Onkyo owners read about the heat failures on line but shrugged their shoulders at spending $25 to buy a widely available small fan and power source. Maybe they thought that Onkyo shouldn't make faulty units and they shouldn't have to buy a fan, so didn't. I thought, I'll spend 25 in insurance and 6 years later my receiver has been flawless. I'd rather spend for the fan than have a failure or 2 to deal with.

I also wonder how many ignored the instructions in the manual and crammed their Onkyo into tight enclosed shelving(and of course wouldn't admit that to Onkyo)thus ensuring they would cook the hdmi board. It's a mess, I know. Onkyo apparently got the daughter board in question from Toshiba and somehow the spec for the capacitors that fail should have been 105 degrees instead of 85 degrees. At some point they no doubt realized they screwed up, and didn't do much about it. For that their rep has suffered greatly and rightly so. I just look at my flawless 876 and wonder how many could have avoided all the trouble they had by listening to what they read on forums like this. Even now owners are probably reading this and shrugging their shoulders instead of doing something before the trouble strikes.

#7 ·
Doesn't the fact that all Onkyo receivers run hot, contribute to the failed HDMI board issues?

Seems to me, that they should concentrate there efforts on finding a way to make cooler operating receivers.

#9 ·
A day late and a dollar short for me. They have known about the HDMI issue for years and are just now dealing with it. My (Integra 70.2) is on it's second HDMI Failure in two years. The first was repaired under warranty. It has failed again and my dealer is replacing the whole unit with another one through an exchange program that Integra (Onkyo) has with it's dealers. When I get the replacement, I will sell it as I have no faith that it will not fail again. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A 3040 and will not look back. Onkyo has tarnished it's reputation with repeated failures and repairing with parts that will fail again. It will be quite some time before I trust them again.

#263 ·
Hello Gordon;

We wanted to follow up on the current status of your DTR 70.2. We would like to assist you with the servicing of your Integra DTR 70.2; if you haven't done so already- promptly. Just following up to see if your issues are resolved. If you are still experiencing the same issue(s), Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

- Integra Product Support

#12 ·
It doesn't sound like this is addressing HDMI board issues. What does the HDMI board have to do with networking? Why would the problem be audio only?

I think this addresses another defect.
Another reason to quit Onkyo...

On a sidenote, the TX-NR905 is not covered... Even though it is suffering the same issue, no audio....

#15 ·
Makes me wonder if my old NR807 would be covered now... After I was getting nowhere with Onkyo in my claim that was just out of warranty, I sold the receiver for parts at a huge loss. Seeing this only burns more considering they didn't want to accept my warranty claim back then. The issue, no sound... lived in an open air completely ventilated shelf with more than enough space to breathe. I have since swore off Onkyo, but will be interesting to see if they fix all of their issues, but I'm going to need to see at least 3 years of quality products to gain any trust back again, and even at that, may avoid out of principal.

#16 ·
I would not buy Onkyo having been a regular here for a long time and having read so many complaints. But even Yamaha fails, I have a dead RX-A8xx here that won't stay turned on, and that thing wasn't too old when it failed.

Reactions: OnkyoUSA
#41 ·
true

my HDMI board went south of the Yamaha Z7 I owned some years ago

It was fixed under warranty...and I sold it sometime later( for more than I originally paid for it) and bought an A3000

Warren

#17 ·
Hmmm....after a few years of use I have just in last few days had an audio dropout here and there and my Onkyo android app has been funky......but hadn't yet suspected the avr at this point but rather my sources (I have not the best internet situation where I live with CenturyLink DSL modem/router, and for all I know DirecTv issues even though a change of channels found audio returning right away and who knows with android apps, new to that but wouldn't be the first one to have issues) but if turns out to be avr glad to see I have an avenue like this. Thanks for posting.

#18 ·
After entering my model # (TX-NR609B) and serial # they say that mine doesn't need the repair. I'm actually not having any problem, knock on wood, but checked off that I was to see if mine would be covered. I'm HOPING that because mine was a refurb purchased directly from Onkyo a little over a year ago MAYBE it had an updated HDMI board or "network chip".
Hey, one can hope........

Ed

#23 ·
Perfect timing. I was experiencing an increased number of Audio & Video drop-outs. Just yesterday, my TX-NR515 died completely. It won't even power on now.

According to the program website, the TX-NR515 is covered.

Off to start the return process and buy a different receiver in the mean time....

#26 ·
This is good news, assuming they do cover the so called HDMI failure.

Speaking as an 818 owner who has not experienced the problem but expects to some day... and extended until 2018? Cannot complain.

#27 ·
I had my 709 HDMI board repaired about 10 months ago after complaining about another failure on this unit which Onkyo swapped for my original 707 which also failed 2 years earlier with the same problem. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty when the 709 came in and called them on that. DP (Duane) and John manning their social media pages really took ownership and got my unit in and out of service in about 1 week.

#28 ·
I hope this doesn't sound odd, but being that you've had 4(?) repairs done, you may be able to shed some light on how bad the Onkyo design actually is. I'm just wondering what kind of stand your Onkyo was in, was it enclosed with no air movement or open to the sides and back. Did you try adding fans or moving it to a more open rack, or was it put back in the same spot after each repair?

#29 ·
I put the serial number of my TX-NR818 and selected the network grayed out option as well as the loss of audio on all channels, and it came back saying my receiver is eligible. I'm not having any problems, but it looks like being eligible might depend on the combination of options selected.

#31 ·
You sent this in before this press release, correct? There's no way you shipped it in and got it repaired in the last few days. They issued the press release on Tuesday this week, so your repair can't have anything to do with this program.

Was it still under warranty?

#32 ·
To those who have taken Onkyo up on this:
Do we need proof of purchase when filling out the online form? I am not getting past the first page because I don't know of a valid serial number to enter.
I ask because I sold my fully functional NR1007 last year, and I would like to contact the buyer with the info about this extended warranty should he now be experiencing any problems.

I also sold a working NR5007 and a repaired NR5007 for a fraction of their worth just to be rid of them!
My NR5010, NR3010 and NR717 all work perfectly though.

#38 ·
I experienced this issue last weekend with my HT-RC360 (purchased Nov 2011). No audio, Network and Firmware upgrade options on menu greyed out.

Called Onkyo support and followed the online directions to determine that my unit qualified for the repair. Now waiting for them to send me a shipping box.

I've had generally positive experiences with Onkyo, still have an Integra TX-870 which is built like a tank. I am glad they're owning up to this defect and are providing out of warranty repair. That said, I'd be hesitant to buy a new Onkyo HT receiver unless I were confident that the HDMI board issues were behind them.

Will update as this process progresses.

#44 ·
Looks like Onkyo is finally stepping up to the plate after all these years

Wonder why the change...
a little too much bad press, perhaps
Their HDMI board story is all over every A/V board and dealers speak the same way

Warren

#48 ·
Looks like Onkyo is finally stepping up to the plate after all these years

Wonder why the change...
a little too much bad press, perhaps
Their HDMI board story is all over every A/V board and dealers speak the same way

Warren

Sent in my 809 three weeks ago to have this very issue (No sound, network, front panel speaker display) repaired out of warranty. I got my 809 back from Onkyo the day this release was issued.

I'm gonna assume it was my 809 that finally sent them over the edge.

You're welcome, everybody.

#50 ·
all these failed units from year after year....

not sure it makes any difference what RC system they used if the unit doesn't work

there has to be a reason that thread after model thread talk about the same failure since 2007

...and then there are 3-4 dedicated Onkyo/Integra unit failure threads as well

yes....I think they were somewhat forced to do this

reputation was going down and down and down.......:mad:

Warren

#46 ·
I ran my serial number through the system just to check it out and it says I am eligible for a free fix. I do not have ANY problems at all, but it is nice to know I have an extended warranty just in case something does come up. KUDOS to Onkyo!

#47 ·
Having a piece of mind go's along way with me !! I don't have any issues with my 809 to date !!:D

Reactions: OnkyoUSA
#51 ·
Haven't posted here in years, but my 709 just crapped out this weekend. Audio went out. After a few power cycles, the audio came back, but now my network/firmware upgrade is grayed out and my network control is borked, even though it's still on the network and pinging on the correct IP, the control port is non-responsive.

My serial number is approved for the repair and they offered me $150 trade in, or free repair. I commend them for (finally) stepping up and fixing this issue. My last Onkyo receiver died from an HDMI board failure and was out of warranty. I opted for a new receiver at the time.

THIS time however, having been out of the game for a few years while blissfully enjoying my setup, I decided to take a look at their new offerings and consider the trade-up. It would appear they no longer offer full pre-outs on anything below the 838 model! That sucker is currently going for a grand. To trade in for an equivalent model, I'd be out $850 with their "trade-in" program. The 7 series was always the sweet spot for those of us semi-budget conscious who needed a receiver with ample HDMI inputs and a full set of pre-outs for the ~$600 mark.

I'm going for the free repair option and will wait for the sweet looking 838 to decline in price, as they always do, around Christmas or after the new year.

#52 ·
I have a PR-SC5509 that was purchased in the fall of 2013. I wonder if it would be covered?

I use dual 120mm fans over it in an open rack just to be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.