The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version) - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1903Likes

post #4681 of 6414 Old 03-11-2017, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
All righty then, I'm officially an Auronaut now too. Now that I've experimented with the Auro-3D using SVS Prime Elevation speakers, it's gotten pretty clear that I need mounting brackets with better customization options so I can have the height and top speaker angle just perfect. I don't have any prior experience with mounting speakers to the wall/ceiling, except for trying out the brackets that came with the speakers, so I could use some input as to what kind of solution should I go for.

I found these and at least to my eye they look just about perfect for my needs: https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Uni...9000332&sr=1-5

My only concern is, they are rated for speakers that weigh less than 10lbs and the Elevation speaker (7.8lbs each) manual states "If mounting directly to a stud is not a viable option, use drywall or masonry anchors rated to support weights of 10 pounds or more". Is it safe to mount this speaker to the walls and especially the ceiling using the speaker brackets in the link? I'm going to be working with concrete when it comes to the ceiling so power tools will probably be necessary, and the 1/4" - 20 thread size should fit perfectly directly to the bracket in the back of the speaker. I will handle and support the cabling too so it doesn't contribute much to the weight and there won't be any disasters waiting to be happen if someone would for instance trip over an improperly routed cable. What about wooden planks, would it help to install one between the concrete and the mount when it comes to safety matters?

Having adjustability like this should allow the angled speaker to be aligned correctly so that it's facing me directly from a 90 degree angle when mounted to the ceiling as a VOG speaker too I believe.

Do you believe these are sufficient, or are my speakers a bit too heavy for something rated for 10lbs and under, I don't want to find my speakers fallen on the ground one day nor do I want to be constantly re-aligning them if they drift slightly due to the weight of the speakers over time. I would really love this kind of pan, tilt and rotate function on my mounts though, not necessarily as extreme if leads to drifting alignment, but sufficient to be placed on any wall or ceiling and have them pointing directly towards the listening position.

Then there's wear and tear, do you believe this kind of mount will loosen over a what kind of time period so that I would have to replace them, so should I go for a mount of other type right away? I really appreciate the low price on these, but I could definitely double the budget if it means I won't have to replace the mounts after a year or two.

I figure other people using Auro-3D might have experience or interest with a product like this. I'm open to alternative suggestions as to how to mount 7.8lbs speakers on the walls and the ceiling.

Amps & Processing; Marantz SR7011, Yamaha RX-V777, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Fronts: JBL Studio 280 + SVS Prime Elevation (height layer)
Center / Top: Wharfedale Jade C1 (center) + SVS Prime Elevation (top)
Surrounds: JBL Studio 230 (bottom layer) + SVS Prime Elevation (height layer)
Subwoofers: SVS PC-2000 (dual) + B&W ASW610 (dual)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 6414 Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanC View Post
All righty then, I'm officially an Auronaut now too. Now that I've experimented with the Auro-3D using SVS Prime Elevation speakers, it's gotten pretty clear that I need mounting brackets with better customization options so I can have the height and top speaker angle just perfect. I don't have any prior experience with mounting speakers to the wall/ceiling, except for trying out the brackets that came with the speakers, so I could use some input as to what kind of solution should I go for.

I found these and at least to my eye they look just about perfect for my needs: https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Uni...9000332&sr=1-5

My only concern is, they are rated for speakers that weigh less than 10lbs and the Elevation speaker (7.8lbs each) manual states "If mounting directly to a stud is not a viable option, use drywall or masonry anchors rated to support weights of 10 pounds or more". Is it safe to mount this speaker to the walls and especially the ceiling using the speaker brackets in the link? I'm going to be working with concrete when it comes to the ceiling so power tools will probably be necessary, and the 1/4" - 20 thread size should fit perfectly directly to the bracket in the back of the speaker. I will handle and support the cabling too so it doesn't contribute much to the weight and there won't be any disasters waiting to be happen if someone would for instance trip over an improperly routed cable. What about wooden planks, would it help to install one between the concrete and the mount when it comes to safety matters?

Having adjustability like this should allow the angled speaker to be aligned correctly so that it's facing me directly from a 90 degree angle when mounted to the ceiling as a VOG speaker too I believe.

Do you believe these are sufficient, or are my speakers a bit too heavy for something rated for 10lbs and under, I don't want to find my speakers fallen on the ground one day nor do I want to be constantly re-aligning them if they drift slightly due to the weight of the speakers over time. I would really love this kind of pan, tilt and rotate function on my mounts though, not necessarily as extreme if leads to drifting alignment, but sufficient to be placed on any wall or ceiling and have them pointing directly towards the listening position.

Then there's wear and tear, do you believe this kind of mount will loosen over a what kind of time period so that I would have to replace them, so should I go for a mount of other type right away? I really appreciate the low price on these, but I could definitely double the budget if it means I won't have to replace the mounts after a year or two.

I figure other people using Auro-3D might have experience or interest with a product like this. I'm open to alternative suggestions as to how to mount 7.8lbs speakers on the walls and the ceiling.

Why do you want, or need to do more then SVS is doing with the elevation speaker angles ?
Don't forget that almost any tweeter has a 90 degree working area, so the (Hight) tweeters wil never have any trouble getting sound to the MLP.
Unless you have an extreem od shaped room/wall/ceiling, but for most standard rooms, the angled tweeter/bass setup for a Height speaker will work fine........
post #4683 of 6414 Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Anyone know, what happened to Auromatic V2.0, which had been preannounced some time ago ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4684 of 6414 Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post
Anyone know, what happened to Auromatic V2.0, which had been preannounced some time ago ?
Yup. The interview was misconstrued by the reporter as being released in the near term which was not the case, rather it is a feature being worked on for future release (ie. not in the near term).

http://www.auro-3d.com/blog/clarific...ro-matic-v2-0/
post #4685 of 6414 Old 03-12-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Rumor has it that the next generation of D/M flagship Receivers/Pre-pros will have 13 ch of processing and 3 ch of sub processing. This could mean that a 7.6.3 solution for Atmos is possible. If D/M continues to offer a paid Auro option, I'd like to see the ability to switch one of the Atmos top middle outputs (R) to a mono VOG and the second Atmos top middle output (L) to a mono Center Height. If these had two sets of outputs, the processor could switch between two speaker configurations depending on whether Atmos or Auro(matic) was selected and not lose one of the LFE signals.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #4686 of 6414 Old 03-13-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Rumor has it that the next generation of D/M flagship Receivers/Pre-pros will have 13 ch of processing and 3 ch of sub processing. This could mean that a 7.6.3 solution for Atmos is possible.
In such case, by re-introducing the wides, 9.3.4 Atmos will probably be the more preferred alternative by most. I would then rather see the option to use 2 of the 3 sub outs for a VOG and a center height, or two VOG speakers...

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.

Last edited by maikeldepotter; 03-13-2017 at 04:00 AM.
post #4687 of 6414 Old 03-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 7356 Post(s)
Liked: 6422
Much of the industry rumors about 13-channel gear showing up by the end of the year seems to mention 7.1.6 rather than 9.1.4 (hopefully both options will be available). Having support for 6 overhead speakers is an opportunity to do three Atmos pairs OR five heights plus VOG for Auro. Interestingly, DTS:X supports both approaches: it can do 3 pairs overhead or 5 heights (including centre height) plus VOG. The latter uses the same speaker designations as Auro but at different locations.
Manni01 likes this.

Sanjay
post #4688 of 6414 Old 03-14-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Today I just got my 2nd Auro 3D 2014 demonstration disc from Denon. Obviously I don't need 2 so the 1st person who PM's me with their address in the USA I will send it to free of charge, meaning I'll pay the S & H.

If you want to see what's on the disc see the link below:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3T7Y0H...oding=UTF8&me=

UPDATE we have a winner! Please consider this offer closed. Guzzi 1 will receive the free disc along with another free duplicate BD Terminator Salvation I had on hand on 3/20/17.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03110.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2025361  
KlipschHead281 likes this.

Last edited by timc1475; 03-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #4689 of 6414 Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Some updates about our Auro-3D work: last year I mixed "Pippa" in 11.1 Auro-3D. Currently the BD and DVD releases are being prepped and the BluRay will have the Auro-3D mix. Some more info on our FB pages:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...61274097287073

Recently we did "Cloudboy" in 11.1 Auro-3D, which will be released in theaters 5th April. Our FB page will be updated with info regularly.

Cheers,

Thierry
Manni01 and raf77 like this.
post #4690 of 6414 Old 03-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Why do you want, or need to do more then SVS is doing with the elevation speaker angles ?
Don't forget that almost any tweeter has a 90 degree working area, so the (Hight) tweeters wil never have any trouble getting sound to the MLP.
Unless you have an extreem od shaped room/wall/ceiling, but for most standard rooms, the angled tweeter/bass setup for a Height speaker will work fine........
Well I feel that it would only work with front heights at best and even then I'm going to have to place them much further from the MLP compared to other speakers, especially the LR pair. Whatever the case, it might turn out that the ideal place for LR speakers isn't right next to a wall and only if they were actually inside the wall would I be able to place the speakers equidistantly.

You are right about the fact that sound will reach the MLP, I had them on the wall facing in a slightly different direction than my LR speakers (which I still had to toe-in less aggressively).
I want the physical distance and toe-in on both layers to be similar and that means height speakers have to be a little bit closer to the MLP if you look at the room in 2D from top.

It's just about getting the most out of everything you have, min-maxing, hi-fi, whatever you want to call it . Just like any other spear in the configuration, I want to have the tweeter pointed at me if possible, because the other tweeters too have large working areas and the exact way how they overlap is meaningful. Center speaker does work if it's place above or below the TV for example, it's just not ideal for example. Then there's reflections from walls etc. I think I definitely could get away with just placing on the walls without the means to pan or tilt them, enjoying them and all, but there would be this constant nagging voice in my head saying "this would sound better if I had bothered to install it properly according to the auro-3D guide-lines".

It's really a matter of how far you want to take this hobby, for instance I believe I'm going to invest in room treatment next or at least before any new speaker upgrades, I think this is a very similar idea to room treatment because you are essentially controlling reflections and dispersion from individual speakers.

Still, I agree with you, it works fine with most rooms. The problem is I want excellent instead of fine

Amps & Processing; Marantz SR7011, Yamaha RX-V777, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Fronts: JBL Studio 280 + SVS Prime Elevation (height layer)
Center / Top: Wharfedale Jade C1 (center) + SVS Prime Elevation (top)
Surrounds: JBL Studio 230 (bottom layer) + SVS Prime Elevation (height layer)
Subwoofers: SVS PC-2000 (dual) + B&W ASW610 (dual)
post #4691 of 6414 Old 03-15-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For anyone who may upgrade their Denon AVR's & already paid for the Auro 3D 199.00 fee you can switch it to your new Denon AVR I found out providing you got the upgrade through Denon's website & have your transaction ID & invoice info.

Most do not save this or forget... but if you can look on your credit card statement & get your approx date you can call Denon's credit manager and he can look up your info as he did mine earlier today & then email your info to you that will be required fro the switch that will save you from having to spend another 199 buks.

Further Denon offers a trade in program most are not aware of on their AVR's if you choose to upgrade they pro-rate the months or years of your current AVR then allow monies towards the new AVR. More info in the spoiler below:

Just a heads up!

Cheers!

Spoiler!
Ted99 and CBdicX like this.
post #4692 of 6414 Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerecmixer View Post
Some updates about our Auro-3D work: last year I mixed "Pippa" in 11.1 Auro-3D. Currently the BD and DVD releases are being prepped and the BluRay will have the Auro-3D mix. Some more info on our FB pages:

Recently we did "Cloudboy" in 11.1 Auro-3D, which will be released in theaters 5th April. Our FB page will be updated with info regularly.

Cheers,

Thierry
Where can you buy these?

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #4693 of 6414 Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Where can you buy these?
"Pippa" BluRay will be released 6th April 2017 and will be available through the usual channels (same as "Bowling Balls").

"Cloudboy" will be released in Cinema 5th April (Belgium, I don't know the release date in Sweden). This is a mainly Swedish spoken film, with some Flemmish. It will be subtitled here and have English subtitles when it will have its International premiere at Toronto Kids festival.
More info here:
http://cloudboy.bulletproofcupid.be/site/
http://www.tiff.net/films/cloudboy/

BluRay release will be at a later date.

Cheers,

Thierry

Last edited by rerecmixer; 03-17-2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #4694 of 6414 Old 03-16-2017, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Cheers,

Thierry
Glad to hear things are progressing. Getting stuff mixed with Auro here in the USA have been slim at best. I have gotten some music mixed using Auro and I have enjoyed it a lot! I hope more titles start showing up here. (Both movies and music.)

John
post #4695 of 6414 Old 03-16-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
Quote:
"Pippa" BluRay will be released 6th April 2017 and will be available through the usual channels (same as "Bowling Balls").

"Cloudboy" will be released in Cinema 5th April (Belgium, I don't know the release date in Sweden). This is a mainly Swedish spoken film, with some Flemmish. I'll be subtitled here and have English subtitles when it will have its International premiere at Toronto Kids festival.
More info here:
http://cloudboy.bulletproofcupid.be/site/
http://www.tiff.net/films/cloudboy/

BluRay release will be at a later date.

Cheers,

Thierry
Thanks, already ordered Pippa

Thankfully these will have english subtitles, as opposed to Bowling Balls, and Cloudboy even has Norwegian actors

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #4696 of 6414 Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Today I just got my 2nd Auro 3D 2014 demonstration disc from Denon. Obviously I don't need 2 so the 1st person who PM's me with their address in the USA I will send it to free of charge, meaning I'll pay the S & H.

If you want to see what's on the disc see the link below:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3T7Y0H...oding=UTF8&me=

UPDATE we have a winner! Please consider this offer closed. John will recieve the free disc alonh with another duplicate BD Terminator Salvation I had on had on 3/20/17.

Cheers!
UPDATE we have a winner! Please consider this offer closed. Guzzi 1 will receive the free disc along with another free duplicate BD Terminator Salvation I had on hand on 3/20/17.

Cheers!

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 03-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #4697 of 6414 Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well, congrats to the 🏆!
On a side note, I understand that in the USA you pay more for Auro upgrade for D&M A/V (199$), but you get the demo disk. Here in Europe we spend less (149€), but ... NO DEMO DISK?! Hope I am wrong, correct me pls!
Regards
Alessandro

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #4698 of 6414 Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When I asked for demo disc on Facebook they told me to pay 28€ for demonstration disc.
😀 Morons.
vn800art likes this.
post #4699 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Well, congrats to the 🏆!
On a side note, I understand that in the USA you pay more for Auro upgrade for D&M A/V (199$), but you get the demo disk. Here in Europe we spend less (149€), but ... NO DEMO DISK?! Hope I am wrong, correct me pls!
Regards
Alessandro

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk
Correct for the USA ........... the disc is provided when the upgrade is purchased.
post #4700 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 AM

Humm, if something shows up that I was not expecting from D&M, there may be another "pay it forward" happening.

John
timc1475 likes this.
post #4701 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Correct for the USA ........... the disc is provided when the upgrade is purchased.
How long does it take to arrive?

It has been about a month since I purchased it.
post #4702 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

Not sure but I'd definitely give Denon/Marantz Customer Service a call and follow up if it's been a month.
post #4703 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

It took about 3 months before I got mine. I ended up getting a disc BEFORE they shipped it.

Theater Setup: 5.2.5 (10.1 Auro3D) / ~3100 cu.ft. / Vaulted Ceiling
Projector:JVC DLA-X570R Screen:SI Performance Series 16:9 100" Source Player:Oppo BDP-103D/UDP-203 Pre/Pro:Marantz AV8802A Amps:Emotiva XPA-5(Fronts/Surrounds) and BasX A500(Heights) Fronts/Surrounds:Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Center:Sonus Faber Venere Center Front/Rear Heights:Definitive Technology PM1000 / ProCenter1000(VOG) Subwoofer:Dual SVS SB-2000 Speaker Wire:Monoprice CL2 12-AWG w/Bananas ICs:BlueJeanCables/Mediabridge
post #4704 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post

Cheers!
I just wanted to let you know I found a present in the mail box today when I arrived home from work.

Thank You!!!!!

As I mentioned, if I end up receiving one of these as part of the upgrade I got, then someone else will get a present.

I'm gonna go now and check it out.....

John
timc1475 likes this.
post #4705 of 6414 Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
It will all depends on how many potential users will buy a 13 channel receiver.
Think this will be a very low number........
Makes no sence in making a receiver that will not sell du to a high price because it can do 13/13
Think the "logical" way will be a 11 channel receiver like the X6300H now, but with 13 channel processing so a user can do Auro 13.1 if he likes through one external amp.
Its "just" SB thats missing now on Auro, and i will forget Center Heigh for the moment, this will be of no use for the most of us.

Can't wait to see what D&M will put on the market to replace the 7200.

I've been patiently waiting..... for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4706 of 6414 Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Not enough digital inputs, but otherwise that looks nice. Three coax and three optical would be about right.

And with the amount of possibly needed external amps - you need more 12V triggers.

And I wouldn't mind if you'd drop zone 3 on behalf of another analog pair in for CD. (But it could be made possible in software to use the 7.1 input as normal analog pair inputs optionally !)

Codename - the Larch theater

Last edited by Nightlord; 03-21-2017 at 12:47 AM.
post #4707 of 6414 Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 200
AuroMax will be released for the home market in the near future............

maikeldepotter likes this.
post #4708 of 6414 Old 03-26-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

You'd still need native content in Auromax format. Based on the market to date, if it has a future it's in UHD or BD movies released in Europe or Asia.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #4709 of 6414 Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

It seems to me that this is a solution in search of a problem. AuroMax is a rendering engine for rendering a proposed SMPTE-standardized object-based mix to an Auro-3D - based speaker layout. Since the motion picture industry is rapidly converging on Dolby Atmos as the de facto standard for object-based mixes (the occasional DTS:X mix, which is just a port of the Atmos mix anyway, notwithstanding), I don't see what AuroMax brings to the table, apart from providing a path forward for auditoriums already set up for Auro-3D. In terms of home entertainment, it doesn't do anything that's not already done by Dolby and DTS, other than support the Auro speaker layout.
sdurani, Josh Z and sdrucker like this.
post #4710 of 6414 Old 03-26-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
It seems to me that this is a solution in search of a problem. AuroMax is a rendering engine for rendering a proposed SMPTE-standardized object-based mix to an Auro-3D - based speaker layout. Since the motion picture industry is rapidly converging on Dolby Atmos as the de facto standard for object-based mixes (the occasional DTS:X mix, which is just a port of the Atmos mix anyway, notwithstanding), I don't see what AuroMax brings to the table, apart from providing a path forward for auditoriums already set up for Auro-3D. In terms of home entertainment, it doesn't do anything that's not already done by Dolby and DTS, other than support the Auro speaker layout.
The other problem besides content is that except for Denon/Marantz with the paid Auro upgrade, all the processors supporting Auro are high end (Datasat, Storm Audio, and Trinnov). That's going to push whatever Auromax may be even further into being a niche product for the five-figure crowd. And only Trinnov can do an upgrade easily via a software update. For everyone else it's an add-on board or (D&M) likely a new purchase.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page