The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version) - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1905Likes

post #5281 of 6425 Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
Is there any elegant way to move/copy the signal from the side surrounds to the rears while using Auromatic?
How big do you think are the chances that it will come as a software feature in the AVR?
Any channel selector that breaks both signal and ground would do just fine. ( or your move the cables manually... )

Codename - the Larch theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 6425 Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Any channel selector that breaks both signal and ground would do just fine. ( or your move the cables manually... )

Are you talking about a speaker switch or a switch for the pre signal requiring addl amplification? I know only very basic ones, usually to connect multiple speakers to one amp. Are there any that do the reverse and that can be remote controlled?

You avoided the 2nd question . I guess it was just wishful thinking on my side.
post #5283 of 6425 Old 02-17-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7381 Post(s)
Liked: 6456
Quote:
The difference in viewing angle of the visuals on the film and the difference in sound does not match, unfortunately - so that explaination is a dud.
Appears that way to you because you don't understand how it works. Not just Atmos but movie sound in general has never been about achieving the same perspective for all listeners but instead pinning sounds to locations in the room.
smurraybhm likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5284 of 6425 Old 02-18-2018, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Appears that way to you because you don't understand how it works. Not just Atmos but movie sound in general has never been about achieving the same perspective for all listeners but instead pinning sounds to locations in the room.
There have been similar issues also with previous systems. But you're not quite correct. Front and center speakers aren't there to pin sounds to room locations. They are there to pin the sounds from the front to what happens on screen. Center speaker is there to make sure that sound locations that should be centered to the screen will stay centered also for off center listener locations - otherwise for MLP listening the center speaker can be done just fine in phantom mode - espcially with a large screen.

The problem with sound not being equal from the fronts is also mitigated by the longer distance to them, so the angual differences of the sound is not as big from seat to seat. With a proper speaker radiation pattern (time-intensity-trading) it will be even more stable.

If you use single surround speakers - yes, you have an issue there. Or rather two in general... both that the angular difference can get big... and it can also be too easily identified with the wrong speaker. BUT - using a more appropriate speaker and using more than one surround speaker per channel mitigates/eliminates the issue.
If you look at most early information for 5.1 systems- the two surround channels wasn't there to be localizable, they were there to give an ambience, a rear soundfield. A lot of speakers done then were bipoles or dipoles and were sending quite reduced direct sound. This can also be done with using several surround speakers per channel.

So a 5.1-system that will sound very much the same across all seats is not a problem to do.

Neither would a 6.1 system be with also an array of speakers used in the rear. And that should have been the system of choice rather than re-introducing the problem of too much identification and angular difference by going to 7.1.

The logical thing to do would have been to go to 6.1 and then when going to 7.1 just to add Voice Of God channel. (I believe Circle Surround was looking at that and there also was some movies done that you could matrix out that channel from. ) That's the format I want to have.

Of the three latest formats, Auro3D is the one which works best with this view on movie sound and Atmos is probably the most difficult one to rein in. It might be possible - at least in some rooms, to use four ceiling speakers per Atmos ceiling channel, but it would become quite a clutter of speakers with 16 speakers for a x.y.4 system and it might not be pleasing to the eye where they'd have to be either. Also there might be rooms where two speakers would require the same position which would complicate it further.

post #5285 of 6425 Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Front and center speakers aren't there to pin sounds to room locations. They are there to pin the sounds from the front to what happens on screen.
If that was true, then panned dialogue would have been the norm, not the exception. The centre channel pins sounds to the centre of the front soundstage. The experience will be different for listeners in different parts of the room, but the sound stays at the same location: the centre of the front soundstage. It's the location that remains consistent, not the experience. That reality of movie sound didn't change when Atmos came about.
Quote:
That's the format I want to have.
You're conflating your subjective preference with objective superiority. If the technology doesn't do what you personally "want to have", then you proclaim it doesn't do "correct sound" (as you did with Atmos). Like telling someone they lost a race that they weren't participating in. Atmos (and movie sound in general) never started with the assumption that they were going to deliver the same experience to all listeners, so they can't fail at something they weren't even attempting to do.

Sanjay
post #5286 of 6425 Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5658 Post(s)
Liked: 5228
Quote:
You're conflating your subjective preference with objective superiority. If the technology doesn't do what you personally "want to have", then you proclaim it doesn't do "correct sound" (as you did with Atmos). Like telling someone they lost a race that they weren't participating in. Atmos (and movie sound in general) never started with the assumption that they were going to deliver the same experience to all listeners, so they can't fail at something they weren't even attempting to do.
Perhaps the most ironic thing is that Auro3D won't deliver it either. The only consistent thing will be the tiny library of native Auro3D titles. The family can experience the same movies over and over from the every LP in the room.

The most seat-to-seat consistency actually comes from identical headphones for everyone. Dts heaphone:X is the only immersive format I know of that can deliver on his expectations.
sdurani likes this.
post #5287 of 6425 Old 02-19-2018, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience with Auro/auromatic with and without the VOG? I have 4 heights already in a short (7'2" ceiling height) room, but have an opportunity to pick up a matching 5th height speaker for a VOG position, and am wondering whether it substantially improves auro compared to just the 4 heights, from anyone's experience? While I ordinarily am on the "the more the merrier" bandwagon, I wonder if my short ceilings may change the calculus a bit.

I had both, with and without VOG.
I like it with VOG, and even so that i made a setup so the VOG speaker(s) will also work in Dolby and DTS
post #5288 of 6425 Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Perhaps the most ironic thing is that Auro3D won't deliver it either. The only consistent thing will be the tiny library of native Auro3D titles. The family can experience the same movies over and over from the every LP in the room.

The most seat-to-seat consistency actually comes from identical headphones for everyone. Dts heaphone:X is the only immersive format I know of that can deliver on his expectations.
I didn't say it will deliver it to a full degree, I said of the three modern formats, it's the one that you most easily can do something with to improve it. But if you have a look at some of their graphics, they are showing just about what's needed - surround speaker arrays, no individual left/right surround back and multiple VoG speakers:

Main problem here is probably for most people to fit the middle layer sufficiently above the lower layer ( also you will need a certain elevation of them to achieve the same experience across all seats ).

--

Does headphone:X have crosscorrelation to avoid soundstage inside your head and head tracking so soundstage stays where it should also when you turn your head? If not, then there's nothing remotely interesting with it.

And btw - they are not "expectations"... they are demands.

post #5289 of 6425 Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Something to test out just arrived

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5290 of 6425 Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version)

Pictures of latest demo disc content
Front

Back

Main screen

Test screen

I can only test 11.1 for now

The detailed book is inside spoiler tag to conserve thread space
Now I’ll give it a listen
Spoiler!

Movie78 and vn800art like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 02-20-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #5291 of 6425 Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 349 Post(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked: 3714
^^^ Won’t be the same until you get the Auro upgrade

BTW: you should get the first Auro demo disc. It has better content, in my opinion

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #5292 of 6425 Old 02-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22900 Post(s)
Liked: 12525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Something to test out just arrived

Yeh .. won't do you any good until the May Auro 3D update is released.
post #5293 of 6425 Old 02-20-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yeh .. won't do you any good until the May Auro 3D update is released.

Well I for some reason I thought Auro3D 11.1 was enabled, and then 13.1 was upgrade in May. Obviously I was mistaken, there’s no Auro capability until May.

Was there any reason why Auro3D 11.1 not available now??

I was trying and trying to find out how to turn it on, now it’s simply clear

Nalleh likes this.
post #5294 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I do not understand Auro and D&M

Its like buying a nice new car and waiting 3-4 month until you get the engine.....
Welkom to the X8500H and AV8805, with Dolby Atmos , DTSX and in 3-4 month Auro (if the current buyer is lucky as no exact date is given), and this for 4000 euro.
Idiots......

Auro-3D provides an immersive surround sound experience thanks to dedicated height and overhead channels, in addition to traditional channels supporting up to a 13.2 configuration. Formatting identifies sound objects individually and projects them to different spaces in your listening environment, creating an immersive, three-dimensional sound stage. Auro-3D will be enabled via a future firmware update at no additional charge.

Last edited by CBdicX; 02-21-2018 at 12:47 AM.
post #5295 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I for some reason I thought Auro3D 11.1 was enabled, and then 13.1 was upgrade in May. Obviously I was mistaken, there’s no Auro capability until May.

I was trying and trying to find out how to turn it on, now it’s simply clear
I feel very sorry for you and indeed absolute no reason why Auro 10.1 would not be available now, like other FAR CHEAPER models of D&M.
D&M and Auro should be ashamed putting this receiver on the marked now !
post #5296 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5658 Post(s)
Liked: 5228
Quote:

The X8500H and AV8805 are using a new chipset, ADI 5th-gen SHARC+ (Griffin Lite). All other D+M models are using 4th-gen SHARCs, same architecturally as the 2016 models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
I feel very sorry for you and indeed absolute no reason why Auro 10.1 would not be available now, like other FAR CHEAPER models of D&M.
D&M and Auro should be ashamed putting this receiver on the marked now !
@mtbdudex would you rather have your unit now with Auro3D and dts:X 13.1 [rumored] updates to follow or just have had them wait until May to release the units?
post #5297 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Marc Alexander;55729592]The X8500H and AV8805 are using a new chipset, ADI 5th-gen SHARC+ (Griffin Lite). All other D+M models are using 4th-gen SHARCs, same architecturally as the 2016 models.
QUOTE]

Even when this is the case, why the 3-4 month wait, when D&M started to design the 8500 they know the 5th gen chipset will be used, and thats not a "last minute" change.
Auro had the same time as D&M to get things up to speed for this chipset.
Its not a fast moving company, Auro, maybe has to do with the size of the company ?
I hope for the 8500/8805 buyers it will be bug free updates, all updates that will be coming.

@mtbdudex would you rather have your unit now with Auro3D and dts:X 13.1 [rumored] updates to follow or just have had them wait until May to release the units?

Not a question for a user thats coming from a different receiver, his older model has not the features of the 8500, so its always a step up for him.
I have the X6400H and would not upgrade to the 8500 now, as it will be a step back compared to the 6400, at this moment !

Last edited by CBdicX; 02-21-2018 at 02:20 AM.
post #5298 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched Blade Runner 2049 yesterday, the polish Bluray with Auro 3D, and holy cow this movie has it all !! Stunning picture, cool story with ties to the original, exellent acting/actors, insaaaane LFE and a very immersive soundtrack. It’s not the most active for the heights, but still had it’s moments.. Precise, dynamic and with a awsome music score placed in the heights. So cool. new favourite for sure

And today i am seeing it again, this time the UHD with Atmos Good timeS
Marc Alexander, raf77 and vn800art like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #5299 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, as I understand it now the 5th generation chipset, needed for 13.1 Auro3D and dts:X, drove the need for complete new coding?
That makes sense, sorta. Usually you add / revise code for the enhancements, unless the underlying algorithms changed themselves.
Either way it’s clear to me, and I’ll patiently wait.
But honestly I wanted to tryout Auro3D 11.1 (or 10.1) with temp speakers before committing to my HT 3.0 redo strategy.

I outlined that as step 4 in this thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...topics/2958296

Spoiler!

Marc Alexander and vn800art like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 02-21-2018 at 05:51 AM.
post #5300 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Yes, it is kind of the same here. I have to keep my 7200 in a Auro config to be able to use Auro until the may update. Haven’t received the 8500 yet, last update from dealer says it’s pushed back to march again. Doohh.......

Nalleh’s HT
post #5301 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
^^ Yes, it is kind of the same here. I have to keep my 7200 in a Auro config to be able to use Auro until the may update. Haven’t received the 8500 yet, last update from dealer says it’s pushed back to march again. Doohh.......

Well ,maybe when they push back a little more you do not have to wait for the Auro update, then its on the receiver out of the box like it should be
Nalleh likes this.
post #5302 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, as I understand it now the 5th generation chipset, needed for 13.1 Auro3D and dts:X, drove the need for complete new coding?
That makes sense, sorta. Usually you add / revise code for the enhancements, unless the underlying algorithms changed themselves.
The Griffin Lite chipset uses a different compiler than the older generation SHARC DSP engines, so D&M's previous library of code could not be ported over (that includes the 10.1-channel version of Auro3D that had been coded for previous SHARC chips). The delay isn't due to coding 13.1-channel version Auro3D, it's due to re-coding the entire Auro suite.

Sanjay
post #5303 of 6425 Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Griffin Lite chipset uses a different compiler than the older generation SHARC DSP engines, so D&M's previous library of code could not be ported over (that includes the 10.1-channel version of Auro3D that had been coded for previous SHARC chips). The delay isn't due to coding 13.1-channel version Auro3D, it's due to re-coding the entire Auro suite.

Thx Sanjay for info, new hardware / software and debugging cycle PDCA loop , yep been there a few times.
I’m looking fwd to getting Auro3D in May.

sdurani likes this.
post #5304 of 6425 Old 03-01-2018, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blade Runner 2049
Available on Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D.
Released in following territories:

Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Iceland,
India, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, S. Africa, Turkey,
UAE

Well, this will get the Auro train rolling "in the world"...........

Think Auro are becoming the "Video 2000" real fast, of the 3 formats.
Just like in the beginning of the 80's, Video 2000 was the best, but VHS was better marketed.
post #5305 of 6425 Old 03-01-2018, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 366 Post(s)
Quoted: 5690 Post(s)
Liked: 6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
^^^ Won’t be the same until you get the Auro upgrade

BTW: you should get the first Auro demo disc. It has better content, in my opinion
Thanks for this, makes me feel better about passing on the second one . I asked Auro to send me the second demo disc (they had sent me the first one free of charge as I'm a professional), and this time they asked me to pay 28 Euros. After paying for two Auro 3D upgrades (one for my X5200W, one for my X7200WA) and a significant amount of money for a new X8500H with Auro 3D to come, there is no way I'll pay for an Auro Demo disc when Atmos and DTS send me their demo discs for free. Very dumb move from Auro, the next time I demonstrate immersive audio to a filmmaker friend I'll use the latest DTS:X or Atmos demo disc

Shame my contact at Auro isn't working there anymore, at least she got it!

Anyway, I can wait until May to hopefully source it without paying this ridiculous shipping charge. "The disc itself is free", yeah, sure, no one is asking them to use Fedex to send the disc. It would cost them a couple of euros to send it by normal mail, but they don't seem to be willing to do this.

<end of rant>

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro
post #5306 of 6425 Old 03-01-2018, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Thanks for this, makes me feel better about passing on the second one . I asked Auro to send me the second demo disc (they had sent me the first one free of charge as I'm a professional), and this time they asked me to pay 28 Euros. After paying for two Auro 3D upgrades (one for my X5200W, one for my X7200WA) and a significant amount of money for a new X8500H with Auro 3D to come, there is no way I'll pay for an Auro Demo disc when Atmos and DTS send me their demo discs for free. Very dumb move from Auro, the next time I demonstrate immersive audio to a filmmaker friend I'll use the latest DTS:X or Atmos demo disc

Shame my contact at Auro isn't working there anymore, at least she got it!

Anyway, I can wait until May to hopefully source it without paying this ridiculous shipping charge. "The disc itself is free", yeah, sure, no one is asking them to use Fedex to send the disc. It would cost them a couple of euros to send it by normal mail, but they don't seem to be willing to do this.

<end of rant>

Had the same answer, please pay 28,00 euro for the disk.
The disk is "free" but we need 28 euro for shipping
No way Jose...........

Think Auro is not very interested in the Home Cinema marked.
Ted99 likes this.

Last edited by CBdicX; 03-01-2018 at 04:30 AM.
post #5307 of 6425 Old 03-01-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try sending them a self-addressed envelope with sufficient stamps on to them ;-)

post #5308 of 6425 Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Try sending them a self-addressed envelope with sufficient stamps on to them ;-)

Think its better to sent them something else in the envelope
Manni01 likes this.
post #5309 of 6425 Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I suggested to @jdsmoothie of AVScience that they obtain a "bulk" shipment of the discs--could probably send 10 for the price of one--and include with each purchase of an Auro-loaded Receiver. I told him I'd even pay $10, but Auro's asking cost of $30 is a bridge too far. Auro is never going to penetrate the home market without an installed base of decoders. Denon is doing it's part with inclusion of Auro in it's upper market receivers. Time for Auro to talk less and do more. My impression is that Auro is focused on Europe, only.
rkeeney likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5310 of 6425 Old 03-02-2018, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I suggested to @jdsmoothie of AVScience that they obtain a "bulk" shipment of the discs--could probably send 10 for the price of one--and include with each purchase of an Auro-loaded Receiver. I told him I'd even pay $10, but Auro's asking cost of $30 is a bridge too far. Auro is never going to penetrate the home market without an installed base of decoders. Denon is doing it's part with inclusion of Auro in it's upper market receivers. Time for Auro to talk less and do more. My impression is that Auro is focused on Europe, only.
I think Auro "biggest" market is Asia, almost no Auro disks can be found in Holland, exept for stuff like 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
99,9 % is Dolby(Atmos) and DTS(X).
Even in Europe they ask 28,00 euro for a disk and standard letter schipment from Belgium to Holland will be around 2 euro.
The first Auro disk i received for free some years ago, and now this.

To bad Auro is on a one way street, and its going in the wrong direction......
Ted99 likes this.

Last edited by CBdicX; 03-02-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page