The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version) - Page 194 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1896Likes

post #5791 of 6397 Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
It has been making me wonder especially after coming across an article back in 2016 that Sony was moving from Dolby Atmos to Auro 3D. I guess ether the deal fell apart or Dolby threatened to sue them for some reason, but that is just a guess. But if Sony was to switch to Auro 3D then what happened because I do not see any titles with Auro 3D. If they are available in Europe and will play on a north american player then I will order some if I can find them.

https://hdguru.com/sony-pictures-to-...sound-support/

https://hometheaterreview.com/sony-p...select-titles/

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...pports-auro-3d

If anyone has any links to titles with Auro 3D please post them. I also have been hearing through audiohaulics that Dolby is planning on keeping people from upscalling Dolby surround signals with DTS or Auto 3D codex's through a Dolby firmware update.
List was posted by @Nalleh a few times. If you can't find it in the future just search this thread for "LIST".

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=56620228

Quote:
Auro Technologies, developers of Auro-3D surround sound technology, said it has cut a distribution partnership with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to release 10 Blu-ray Disc movie titles formatted with  Auro-3D sound.
10 titles isn't much. They have been releasing titles, just not domestically. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop after 10.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 08-19-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 6397 Old 08-19-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
I do not understand your "answer" at all.
That's unfortunate. You're clearly have a businessman type mindset rather than a consumer orientated or service sector one (like Apple Corporation, which actually adds new features to their HARDWARE, not just small application updates). I'm afraid with that mindset, you will never "get" it. What else could I possibly say?

Really, I was stating my displeasure about hearing about "software" updates that the 8500 will get even though it's already been released (the age apparently has nothing to do with it, just that it cost $4000 as you say), not inviting an argument over how best to keep pick-pocketing your customers with nickel and dime additions (kind of like the airlines do anymore). I can only assume you enjoy buying the same crap over and over and over again just to get some MINOR software feature that could have been added to your existing product whereas I expect a few years service out of something before having to buy something again, particularly when it just has added something as simple as support for speakers it should have supported from the start. New purchases should be reserved for actual hardware changes, IMO, not just being able to select "Dolby Enabled" in the setup menu (because they didn't feel like bothering with an update for receivers that are only a few years old at most). Anyone who bought a Mac Pro at $2700 expects it to be still be relevant for more than a year or two (again with overpriced Apple as the comparative more service based software example because they make money off hardware more than software by a factor of about 10,000x). But whatever. Enjoy buying another car to get a mute button on the car's touchscreen system added to the car's software.
vn800art likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #5793 of 6397 Old 08-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 71
That's it: pickpocketing! Period.
Sr7011 and Auro added. No updates or extra feature to the specific decoder. Not a single variant in 3 years life of the decoder sw. Avr is still supported for other features, from Marantz. Dunno who I can blame, but it is what it is, pickpocketing.
Regards
Alessandro
MagnumX likes this.

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5794 of 6397 Old 08-19-2018, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 385
You both want the same updates/upgrades as newer models, not going to happen how long you talk about it, period !
If you want more/better, dont cry and put some $$ on the table and buy the newest model and do this by trading in the "old" model, like i am doing, and a lot of people do with cars, tv's ect ect.

I will not reply any more, this is going nowhere, just like your "older" receivers.
Back on topic, Auro..........

Last edited by CBdicX; 08-19-2018 at 11:50 PM.
post #5795 of 6397 Old 08-19-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
You both want the same updates/upgrades as newer models, not going to happen how long you talk about it, period !
If you want more/better, dont cry and put some $$ on the table and buy the newest model and do this by trading in the "old" model, like i am doing, and a lot of people do with cars, tv's ect ect.
Give it a rest already. No one is asking for 13.1 channel Auro in an 11 channel product for god's sake. We're saying that basic maintenance updates to include newer things added to the BASIC Auro 3D format should be UPDATED in the damn firmware (e.g. they now "allow" Dolby Enabled speakers that they did not allow before). There is NO technical reason a two-year old receiver couldn't use the newer setting for Dolby Enabled speakers. The only thing stopping it is D&M being greedy bastards that don't give a crap about their customers AFTER they bought something. They seem to forget that if you want to keep customers into the future, you shouldn't piss them off by penny pinching or nickel and diming them to death. They will tend to go elsewhere. It's amazing to me you can't seem to comprehend that basic idea that BUGS and minor features should be passed down to computer-based products at least for a few years (like Apple does for iPhones and Macs) so your customers are HAPPY customers and will buy their next product from you again rather than your competitor.

I don't "need" something like Dolby Enabled speakers in my setup, but it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing. A $2200 receiver should have better support, IMO. It's not a $500 mass market special. It was the flagship at the time. Again, I just got mine (used), but it's the principle involved. If I bought a Macintosh computer and it couldn't run the next version of macOS a year later, I'd be PISSED. But you would just say, OH WELL! So I spent $5000 on an iMac Pro. I'll just go buy another one for another $5000! Even most rich people (save perhaps the dumb ones) expect SOME value for their dollar.

I haven't even purchased the Auro 3D upgrade yet. Why should I give them $199 today when the entire product is already worth 1/3 its original cost? Shouldn't I at least get UP-TO-DATE Auro 3D software if I have to pay full price two years later for it??? Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend? It's like buying a brand new car that is 3 years out of date at full price. Who does that? Who expects to do that? Worse yet, I keep reading Auro 3D is DOA. So I guess instead of wondering why they don't keep it up-to-date, I should wonder why I'm bothering other than having already ordered a half dozen movies to try.

Your "older" receivers "going nowhere" comment was out of line, IMO. They haven't added a damn thing to the newer model that's replaced it that means a thing (who wants HEOS with its horrible interface when there's something like SONOS out there?). Hell, they removed some features like DSX and front wide support for that matter (front wides are still plenty relevant, IMO). It's like taking two baby steps forward and two big steps back. This isn't about a new receiver. It's about a SOFTWARE UPDATE. But I guess you missed that as you were too busy chiding us for being cheap.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)

Last edited by MagnumX; 08-20-2018 at 12:02 AM.
post #5796 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've upgraded the Marantz 7010 to Auro 3D (my layout is already Auro 3D 9.1 complete; I've got the pre-out connected for the VOG speaker ready on the Yamaha "center" channel input in 7-channel input mode; I just need a suitable speaker to tack up there to use it). The upgrade went pretty smooth after I got the serial number and upgrade ID off the unit (one's on the back and one in the menu system). I just put Amazon Online as the dealer (since that's where the previous owner said they got it) and it seems Amazon IS an authorized dealer for Marantz products. In any case, it didn't give me any trouble. It upgraded in about 15 minutes total (said it would take 40 minutes to over an hour depending, but I guess they use slow Internet speeds as a gauge or something. I'm only getting 30-50Mbps down there. It was done downloading in about 4 minutes and spent the next 10-12 minutes installing the actual software. I ran the Auro 3D demo and played about 20 minutes of Blade Runner to compare to the Atmos version and also tried Auro 3D and 2D on other trailers and some music.

Auro 2D - Sounded like TrueHD/MasterHD on their material. It sounds better for 2-channel, IMO, especially music where the surround isn't so heavy you're wondering WTF is going on. It's still not cool like PLIIx was (huge mistake of Dolby to kill their own best upmixer for music by pushing DSU over including the older formats as well, IMO).

Auro 3D - With Music. Nice. Much better than DSU or Neural X for music, IMO. It does NOT sound like 11-channel stereo or at least not the "default" Yamaha 11-channel stereo mode. Maybe if you turned the surrounds way down, etc. it would be similar. Again, not intrusive, but also not particularly noticeable compared to PLIIx for putting sounds in other places. It's still too "Front orientated" IMO. I'd rather choose between Stereo and PLIIx, but the only way I'm going to be able to do that is to loop back 7-channel out from my second receiver to the first and provide it with its own optical or RCA connection for 2-channel music (either put my old HDMI switcher in line that can extract optical or maybe off a device that has it). I don't know why these newer AVRs don't include it given how many prefer it for music.

Auro 3D - With Encoded Movie (only have Blade Runner 2049; should get 3 more here tomorrow). I compared the first 20 minutes or so of each. I've got to say they sounded more similar than different (overhead car positions were the same). Despite what Ted99 said about the proctor's voice giving the retcon scan being somewhere else in one versus the other, I found they were both in exactly the same spot to a T (i.e. top of my 92" screen centered with a semi-wide girth to it with Agent K's voice directly under it at bed level). At first, I thought the Atmos version was much higher (ceiling level), but it turns out that when I switched from Top Middle to Rear Height to make both work the receiver had rear height "disable" in the speaker config list (despite the amp setup set to use it). Once I turned it on, the voice moved to the same place as Auro 3D did with Surround Height enabled. In other words, it's not coming from one speaker (not even top center height). It's a mixture of side height + center bed + front height in varying amounts to create what I assume is meant to be a more three dimensional rendering of the guy's voice or something (or to place it just so). I'll have to go back and read where the infamous "reverb" scene is to check it (forgot and very tired right now).

Speaking of Surround Height, as I guessed, if you set it to use "rear height" for Auro 3D but use a set of speakers that are actually in the surround height position, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the output (that I can hear). Thus, it's perfectly safe to use a speaker selector to swap them (might cause havoc with Audyssey XT32 settings if you use it since it's a different speaker in a different position, but at the moment, I'm not using it so it makes no difference what-so-ever. Meanwhile, I think my previous tests with rear height selected with the side height speakers were flawed as I didn't realize the speakers were OFF (go figure) and therefore concluded it was rendered massively different (e.g. no rain in the Amaze demo) when in fact, the speakers were off (there was rain in the Amaze demo for the rear height speakers after all, although I think it was about half what top middle was putting out). DTS certainly behaved differently with rear height selected instead with the speaker in the same position (no longer tried to create a phantom rear height). But the Atmos demos sounded very similar (to the point where without an A/B I probably didn't notice any difference). I'm sure there are some rear surround bits I've yet to notice that would be better on Atmos either way as Sdrucker pointed out.

Pressing the input button, I can't help but notice my 11 channel receiver is only using 9 channels running Blade Runner 2049.... (the whole point of what I was saying about how a software update to make use of rear surrounds would be nice even if it was only for 13.1 movies in the future, but frankly, given the way everything from PLIIx to DSU and Neural X can GENERATE rear surrounds (quite effectively at that in the case of DSU/Neural X), it seems like their renderer could at least have the option to make some fake rear surrounds when you're not using the VOG channel (even the CEO has said it's not really needed in a home environment as it's quite easily phantomed at those ceiling heights). Oh well, score one for Atmos, I suppose, although people using 5.1.4 setups probably wouldn't notice any difference, what-so-ever.

The point being it should be no trouble making Atmos and Auro 3D and DTS all live together quite happily in the same home theater here with the addition of a speaker selector box (already here; just needs connected once I get the rear height speakers in). It's a 2-input, 2-output design with the ability to both swap inputs and play either location with either signal (thus you could in fact play rear height and side height at the same time the same way a receiver does it with the A/B type switches, in parallel so watch your impedance rating versus the amp if you do this (my Yamaha drove my PSB bookshelf speakers just fine that way in the front when I was testing and they're 6 ohm averaged). Getting up to press the speaker selector would be a bit of a chore (when I can run everything else from remote), but given the lack of Auro 3D movies, I doubt I'll be doing it that often.

Auro 3D Demo. It did actually sound different than the Neural X rendering (which is about 75% similar, IMO, although I liked Neural X's more authoritative "VOG" rendering better, the Auro 3D one did actually sound like it was several feet higher up than the ceiling limit somehow (like it really was a 3rd layer) whereas Neural X sounded right overhead but at ceiling height across from the side height speakers). The tractor bit seemed to move smoother and not sound so obnoxious. Other sounds seemed to be in similar places, but their character seemed different (probably since they weren't just duplicated/moved sounds, but actual quad-microphone recorded channels). It was actually quite nice sounding, like you're really there. I'd like to order some of their music discs to try even more than the movies since the movies are just "rendered" the way the mixing guy does it while actual multi-miked performances should be almost holographic sounding (like binaural is for headphones).

Worth $200? I have no idea, but I can't say ANY of these upgrades are "worth it" from a practical standpoint. I'd have to try more music to see if I thought it was better than playing back in stereo and if there's some good music recordings, well, who knows. I know I was willing to pay a pretty penny to hear Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here in quadraphonic..... But I was enjoying movies just fine up until now and now I feel like I've got this upgrade bug that won't stop.... (there's a new tensioned electric screen yet to consider and then when a usable, reasonably priced 4K/3D model projector becomes available that doesn't cause rainbows.....

post #5797 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Dolby Enabled "heaven" ..........

Even Dolby Atmos, DTSX and Auro are mentioned as setups that can use use 6 DE Height speakers, its only Dolby that will do 6 Height channels.
DTS can do 4 Height channels for now, Auro will only use VOG mono.
But the 8500 can switch between Top Middle Stereo and VOG mono when the user connects all the needit speakers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4504.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	2443940  

Last edited by CBdicX; 08-20-2018 at 04:32 AM.
post #5798 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

More Auro3D related anecdotes with the Marantz 7010 (and assuming other models as well)....

I forgot to mention that despite two claims I read elsewhere, one of which was that the Marantz would not auto-select Auro 3D titles in auto mode and the other was that it deleted the non-Auro layouts, neither are true. All the original layouts are still present in the 7010 and while it didn't recognize Blade Runner 2049 3D the first time, it was probably not in auto mode (it "sticks" to whatever last mode you used for non-native titles assuming you WANT to hear an upmixer instead; this has happened with Atmos several times while playing with Neuro X over TrueHD (since NeuroX usually delivers the best upmixed "discrete-like" height presentation in my experience thus far). But once I selected Auro 3D for Auro 3D and then later moved back to stereo, I verified that yes, it does automatically switch to Auro 3D on its own just like DTS X and Dolby Atmos.

What is annoying is that you can't force it to use "surround height" with "top middle" even if they are the same speakers (it doesn't really take very long to change the configuration, though, although it's possible with Audyssey EQ32 in use, switching might disable it. I won't know until I try Audyssey out. As long as you're in a narrow room, there's almost no difference between side height near ceiling in top middle (the only difference is two feet here, which means the "edge" is over slightly; everything in-between images the same). Really, these layout differences are minor in some (smaller) rooms (bigger deal in larger ones).

Similarly, you could (should) be able to send dual-mono VOG to top middle instead of a separate output as it's phantom image sits pretty much in the same place and Auro 3D recommends arrays for VOG from what I've read, so you'd think this would be a no-brainer on their and the AVR's part (the faked VOG actually uses front height as well and pulls it slightly forward, which seems odd to me since the demos claim it should be "directly overhead" and that puts the image more or less where top front would be in the room if it were present (compared to Neural X which puts it directly overhead), but for all I know that demo might bleed more than one channel together as well to create a "wider" image for VOG than one speaker/array could do on its own or something (won't know until if/when I try a VOG speaker or someone else that has one comments). I expected it to image directly overhead.

As mentioned above, the processor doesn't care if you select rear height instead and use a side surround speaker with that setting. It appears to output the same result in Auro 3D mode. This at least simplifies the setup with an external speaker selector switch (i.e. you don't have to change the amp assign layout, just swap speaker locations and Auro 3D sounds optimal once again).

I have found I kind of miss the "mono" DSP mode for old movies (sounds like you're in big movie theater that could use some dampening on the sides) and 7/11-channel stereo mode. I'm not sure why the latter isn't included (because Yamaha does it, others don't want to?). I also don't care for the slow response times when switching to other sound modes (sometimes disrupts the audio just bringing it up to see what's currently selected on-screen). It'd also be nice if you could remove modes you never intend to use again (e.g. DSX sounds like crap to me compared to all three upmixers with its fake reverb that you can't adjust and is too close together, IMO).

post #5799 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22561 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
More Auro3D related anecdotes with the Marantz 7010 (and assuming other models as well)....

I forgot to mention that despite two claims I read elsewhere, one of which was that the Marantz would not auto-select Auro 3D titles in auto mode and the other was that it deleted the non-Auro layouts, neither are true. All the original layouts are still present in the 7010 and while it didn't recognize Blade Runner 2049 3D the first time, it was probably not in auto mode (it "sticks" to whatever last mode you used for non-native titles assuming you WANT to hear an upmixer instead; this has happened with Atmos several times while playing with Neuro X over TrueHD (since NeuroX usually delivers the best upmixed "discrete-like" height presentation in my experience thus far). But once I selected Auro 3D for Auro 3D and then later moved back to stereo, I verified that yes, it does automatically switch to Auro 3D on its own just like DTS X and Dolby Atmos.

What is annoying is that you can't force it to use "surround height" with "top middle" even if they are the same speakers (it doesn't really take very long to change the configuration, though, although it's possible with Audyssey EQ32 in use, switching might disable it. I won't know until I try Audyssey out. As long as you're in a narrow room, there's almost no difference between side height near ceiling in top middle (the only difference is two feet here, which means the "edge" is over slightly; everything in-between images the same). Really, these layout differences are minor in some (smaller) rooms (bigger deal in larger ones).

Similarly, you could (should) be able to send dual-mono VOG to top middle instead of a separate output as it's phantom image sits pretty much in the same place and Auro 3D recommends arrays for VOG from what I've read, so you'd think this would be a no-brainer on their and the AVR's part (the faked VOG actually uses front height as well and pulls it slightly forward, which seems odd to me since the demos claim it should be "directly overhead" and that puts the image more or less where top front would be in the room if it were present (compared to Neural X which puts it directly overhead), but for all I know that demo might bleed more than one channel together as well to create a "wider" image for VOG than one speaker/array could do on its own or something (won't know until if/when I try a VOG speaker or someone else that has one comments). I expected it to image directly overhead.

As mentioned above, the processor doesn't care if you select rear height instead and use a side surround speaker with that setting. It appears to output the same result in Auro 3D mode. This at least simplifies the setup with an external speaker selector switch (i.e. you don't have to change the amp assign layout, just swap speaker locations and Auro 3D sounds optimal once again).

I have found I kind of miss the "mono" DSP mode for old movies (sounds like you're in big movie theater that could use some dampening on the sides) and 7/11-channel stereo mode. I'm not sure why the latter isn't included (because Yamaha does it, others don't want to?). I also don't care for the slow response times when switching to other sound modes (sometimes disrupts the audio just bringing it up to see what's currently selected on-screen). It'd also be nice if you could remove modes you never intend to use again (e.g. DSX sounds like crap to me compared to all three upmixers with its fake reverb that you can't adjust and is too close together, IMO).
1. It will be disabled.
2. Multi CH Stereo factory defaults to the 7 floor speakers only. Audio - Surround Parameter - Speaker Select must be changed to "Floor & Height." p. 209 Owner's manual.
post #5800 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I've upgraded the Marantz 7010 to Auro 3D (my layout is already Auro 3D 9.1 complete; I've got the pre-out connected for the VOG speaker ready on the Yamaha "center" channel input in 7-channel input mode; I just need a suitable speaker to tack up there to use it). The upgrade went pretty smooth after I got the serial number and upgrade ID off the unit (one's on the back and one in the menu system). I just put Amazon Online as the dealer (since that's where the previous owner said they got it) and it seems Amazon IS an authorized dealer for Marantz products. In any case, it didn't give me any trouble. It upgraded in about 15 minutes total (said it would take 40 minutes to over an hour depending, but I guess they use slow Internet speeds as a gauge or something. I'm only getting 30-50Mbps down there. It was done downloading in about 4 minutes and spent the next 10-12 minutes installing the actual software. I ran the Auro 3D demo and played about 20 minutes of Blade Runner to compare to the Atmos version and also tried Auro 3D and 2D on other trailers and some music.

Auro 2D - Sounded like TrueHD/MasterHD on their material. It sounds better for 2-channel, IMO, especially music where the surround isn't so heavy you're wondering WTF is going on. It's still not cool like PLIIx was (huge mistake of Dolby to kill their own best upmixer for music by pushing DSU over including the older formats as well, IMO).

Auro 3D - With Music. Nice. Much better than DSU or Neural X for music, IMO. It does NOT sound like 11-channel stereo or at least not the "default" Yamaha 11-channel stereo mode. Maybe if you turned the surrounds way down, etc. it would be similar. Again, not intrusive, but also not particularly noticeable compared to PLIIx for putting sounds in other places. It's still too "Front orientated" IMO. I'd rather choose between Stereo and PLIIx, but the only way I'm going to be able to do that is to loop back 7-channel out from my second receiver to the first and provide it with its own optical or RCA connection for 2-channel music (either put my old HDMI switcher in line that can extract optical or maybe off a device that has it). I don't know why these newer AVRs don't include it given how many prefer it for music.

Auro 3D - With Encoded Movie (only have Blade Runner 2049; should get 3 more here tomorrow). I compared the first 20 minutes or so of each. I've got to say they sounded more similar than different (overhead car positions were the same). Despite what Ted99 said about the proctor's voice giving the retcon scan being somewhere else in one versus the other, I found they were both in exactly the same spot to a T (i.e. top of my 92" screen centered with a semi-wide girth to it with Agent K's voice directly under it at bed level). At first, I thought the Atmos version was much higher (ceiling level), but it turns out that when I switched from Top Middle to Rear Height to make both work the receiver had rear height "disable" in the speaker config list (despite the amp setup set to use it). Once I turned it on, the voice moved to the same place as Auro 3D did with Surround Height enabled. In other words, it's not coming from one speaker (not even top center height). It's a mixture of side height + center bed + front height in varying amounts to create what I assume is meant to be a more three dimensional rendering of the guy's voice or something (or to place it just so). I'll have to go back and read where the infamous "reverb" scene is to check it (forgot and very tired right now).

Speaking of Surround Height, as I guessed, if you set it to use "rear height" for Auro 3D but use a set of speakers that are actually in the surround height position, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the output (that I can hear). Thus, it's perfectly safe to use a speaker selector to swap them (might cause havoc with Audyssey XT32 settings if you use it since it's a different speaker in a different position, but at the moment, I'm not using it so it makes no difference what-so-ever. Meanwhile, I think my previous tests with rear height selected with the side height speakers were flawed as I didn't realize the speakers were OFF (go figure) and therefore concluded it was rendered massively different (e.g. no rain in the Amaze demo) when in fact, the speakers were off (there was rain in the Amaze demo for the rear height speakers after all, although I think it was about half what top middle was putting out). DTS certainly behaved differently with rear height selected instead with the speaker in the same position (no longer tried to create a phantom rear height). But the Atmos demos sounded very similar (to the point where without an A/B I probably didn't notice any difference). I'm sure there are some rear surround bits I've yet to notice that would be better on Atmos either way as Sdrucker pointed out.

Pressing the input button, I can't help but notice my 11 channel receiver is only using 9 channels running Blade Runner 2049.... (the whole point of what I was saying about how a software update to make use of rear surrounds would be nice even if it was only for 13.1 movies in the future, but frankly, given the way everything from PLIIx to DSU and Neural X can GENERATE rear surrounds (quite effectively at that in the case of DSU/Neural X), it seems like their renderer could at least have the option to make some fake rear surrounds when you're not using the VOG channel (even the CEO has said it's not really needed in a home environment as it's quite easily phantomed at those ceiling heights). Oh well, score one for Atmos, I suppose, although people using 5.1.4 setups probably wouldn't notice any difference, what-so-ever.

The point being it should be no trouble making Atmos and Auro 3D and DTS all live together quite happily in the same home theater here with the addition of a speaker selector box (already here; just needs connected once I get the rear height speakers in). It's a 2-input, 2-output design with the ability to both swap inputs and play either location with either signal (thus you could in fact play rear height and side height at the same time the same way a receiver does it with the A/B type switches, in parallel so watch your impedance rating versus the amp if you do this (my Yamaha drove my PSB bookshelf speakers just fine that way in the front when I was testing and they're 6 ohm averaged). Getting up to press the speaker selector would be a bit of a chore (when I can run everything else from remote), but given the lack of Auro 3D movies, I doubt I'll be doing it that often.

Auro 3D Demo. It did actually sound different than the Neural X rendering (which is about 75% similar, IMO, although I liked Neural X's more authoritative "VOG" rendering better, the Auro 3D one did actually sound like it was several feet higher up than the ceiling limit somehow (like it really was a 3rd layer) whereas Neural X sounded right overhead but at ceiling height across from the side height speakers). The tractor bit seemed to move smoother and not sound so obnoxious. Other sounds seemed to be in similar places, but their character seemed different (probably since they weren't just duplicated/moved sounds, but actual quad-microphone recorded channels). It was actually quite nice sounding, like you're really there. I'd like to order some of their music discs to try even more than the movies since the movies are just "rendered" the way the mixing guy does it while actual multi-miked performances should be almost holographic sounding (like binaural is for headphones).

Worth $200? I have no idea, but I can't say ANY of these upgrades are "worth it" from a practical standpoint. I'd have to try more music to see if I thought it was better than playing back in stereo and if there's some good music recordings, well, who knows. I know I was willing to pay a pretty penny to hear Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here in quadraphonic..... But I was enjoying movies just fine up until now and now I feel like I've got this upgrade bug that won't stop.... (there's a new tensioned electric screen yet to consider and then when a usable, reasonably priced 4K/3D model projector becomes available that doesn't cause rainbows.....
Epson ub 5040.
post #5801 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf77 View Post
Epson ub 5040.
Yes, I looked at that one. It's not "real" 4K but one of those "enhanced" models and it would need a new projector mount in my room since it weighs considerably more and it probably has similar crosstalk 3D issues to my current Epson at twice the price and and around 10 pounds more weight. I was kind of hoping something better (that still has lens shift) would come out in a year or two, preferably with darker blacks. I'd take darker blacks over HDR with crappy blacks any day of the week (i.e. on the 2018 QLEDs, the darker blacks is way better than the 3x brightness, IMO, although to get really good HDR you need both). A "roll down" QLED/OLED would be better yet (put up screen, no projector needed). Supposedly at least the OLEDs are working on this solution (getting close to reality as I recall; who knows at what price, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. It will be disabled.
2. Multi CH Stereo factory defaults to the 7 floor speakers only. Audio - Surround Parameter - Speaker Select must be changed to "Floor & Height." p. 209 Owner's manual.
1> A shame it can't store or adjust for manual overrides.... I suppose I could do a YPAO instead that could be turned on/off and that would help with the extracted front wides (although they sound pretty darn similar as they're identical speakers with line of view not so different), but that would interfere with the front height settings as well).

2> I didn't realize it even had a multi ch stereo mode (don't see one; I see multi-ch input but that's not the same thing). Maybe I missed something somewhere? Edit: OK, I see the "multi-channel" is multi-channel stereo not the LPCM input from HDMI. Hmmm, I'd have to try it again.

Meanwhile, Red Tails, Dark Tower and Johnny Menemonic limited edition just arrived (latter has Atmos and Auro 3D versions included).

Last edited by MagnumX; 08-20-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #5802 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM

You need to decide what you want.
Is very good projector for that price. I have 79" tv and this projector. Any 16:9 tv show i prefer on TV, but movies 21:9 only projector. Size make difference.
post #5803 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You need to decide what you want.
Is very good projector for that price. I have 79" tv and this projector. Any 16:9 tv show i prefer on TV, but movies 21:9 only projector. Size make difference.
I only bought the Epson a year ago. I'm happy to use it for now. It's not like I think things look blurry or something. I'd like to get a few years out of it before upgrading. Hell, they might have 8K out by then.

Johnny Mnemonic limited edition set seems nice (mine is #373 out of only 500, but it must not be selling fast since it came out last year some time). It has an Atmos disc and an Auro disc. Plus a little mini book (in German, lol. It's a good thing I took German in college ).

It also includes the SD version of the Japanese unrated version (6 extra minutes long) and the Atmos version is 28 minutes longer (extended version). The Auro disc has a soundtrack and effect only track as well.

As far as I know, as of this post, there are no other versions out there that have Atmos or Auro 3D on them (unless they released limited editions for each country or something). There certainly doesn't appear to be a US Atmos version yet (maybe when a 4K version comes out?)

Last edited by MagnumX; 08-20-2018 at 03:56 PM.
post #5804 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

I haven't upgraded my AV7703 with Auro yet and must say I've done a lot of reading and still confused on the upmixing for Stereo sources.

Does Auro have 2 upmixing codex for stereo, Auro2D and 3D?

Honestly I'm really only interested in stereo upmixing, I won't be chasing Auro video sources here in the US with so little available.
I have to say at this point I agree that I was disappointed when I upgraded from my Marantz AV7701 that PLII had been removed in favor of DSU or Neural, neither do as well IMHO at upmixing stereo to even a basic 5.2 soundfield. My hope is if I spend the $200 on Auro I'll get something better at upmixing.
Your comments (or any one else would be appreciated.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #5805 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
I haven't upgraded my AV7703 with Auro yet and must say I've done a lot of reading and still confused on the upmixing for Stereo sources.

Does Auro have 2 upmixing codex for stereo, Auro2D and 3D?
I'll quote the manual here (with a bit of markup added for clarity):

Quote:
Auro-3D - This mode uses an Auro-3D decoder to create three-dimensional audio output using the Height Channel. It is ideal for
playback of signals encoded as Auro-3D with a Height Channel.

*If signals not encoded as Auro-3D are input, an Upmixer called the Auro-Matic is used to create highly realistic three-dimensional audio output.

Auro-2D Surround - This mode uses an Auro-3D decoder to create Surround Sound without a Height Channel. It is ideal for playback of signals encoded as Auro-3D without a Height Channel.

*If signals not encoded as Auro-3D are input, an Upmixer called the Auro-Matic is used to output Surround Sound.

So, yes. There are two upmixer options, one that supports height channels (think PLIIz except without surround back) and one that only uses the lower channels (think PLIIx). The manual implies there is Auro 3D information encoded out there without height channels (or "could" be), but I haven't heard of any offhand. I did find a plugin to create such content, however when I did a Google search (http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/AM2D). All I know for sure is that when I tried Auro 2D out, it used my rear surrounds and on 7.1 material, it sounded more or less identical to Dolby or DTS 7.1 would render the same material. I'd have to try more 5.1 material to see if there was a significant difference. It definitely didn't use any height channels (save my mixer based dialog lift content that goes to the front height regardless).

Quote:
Honestly I'm really only interested in stereo upmixing, I won't be chasing Auro video sources here in the US with so little available.
I have to say at this point I agree that I was disappointed when I upgraded from my Marantz AV7701 that PLII had been removed in favor of DSU or Neural, neither do as well IMHO at upmixing stereo to even a basic 5.2 soundfield. My hope is if I spend the $200 on Auro I'll get something better at upmixing.
Your comments (or any one else would be appreciated.
I'd have to test more music material before I could give an opinion about how well it does with music. My first instinct was that it sounded better than DSU/NeuralX, but then they sound awful with music so.... Frankly, it seemed like the surround channels were kind of subdued with 2-channel input, more like they were doing extra "reflection" type effects to make the room seem larger or something, not so much to move sounds back there like PLIIx would do. It's a real shame the AVR makers ditched PLII(x or z) modes as they were clearly superior for 2-channel music...well at least x was; I've never heard z, personally.

I think if I can provide my 2nd receiver with an RCA or optical music signal from my media player (either directly or with an HDMI extraction type device inserted in-between like a switch that has optical out on it; I have a few of these already here), I can use the 7-channel output from the second receiver to send to the first receiver 7-channel input and let the 2nd receiver do PLIIx on it which the first will then simply passthrough. The only stickler is the 2nd receiver trying to output those signals itself (since it thinks it's doing it for a reason and I have the speakers connected through its own 7-channel inputs to power extra channels including 2 from the first receiver). If I choose my inputs, carefully, however (say send front wide through surround and front height through main and surround back height through surround back), it won't really matter since the Yamaha can disable surround back and the mains at the push of a button (don't need to disable the front since it just does dialog lift without a front height input from the first receiver and surround back sent to surround height might be interesting (would basically "lift" the back channel up in-between as well). Everything else would be silent. I clearly need to buy more RCA cables to do this, though as I'm fast running out. It's not a high priority right now, though since I have a separate Carver ribbon system with sonic holography I usually listen to music on upstairs instead.

post #5806 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well, I can add you can have a look at Setting Audio, then Surround parameters, when in Auro3d you will find two more choices: room type and force of the effects . The only one other available when in Dsu is Center Spread (that I always keep enabled)
Moreover I believe a great help can be found in this thread here, to determine the exact speaker localization for multiformat:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t
MagnumX likes this.

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #5807 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 3452
There is a «middle ground» Auro setup too: if you use normal 7.1 setup, and then just one set of heights: Front Height. This will then upmix stereo music to 7.1 AND front height, which gives a nice immersion.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #5808 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
There is a «middle ground» Auro setup too: if you use normal 7.1 setup, and then just one set of heights: Front Height. This will then upmix stereo music to 7.1 AND front height, which gives a nice immersion.
I'm curious what Auro 3D titles, if any you've tried on your system, Nalleh. Is there some discussion on here already I should look for earlier in the thread? I just got three more in today (Red Tails, Dark Tower and Johnny Mnemonic, the latter also has an Atmos soundtrack to compare and unlike some, I heard two different teams did the soundtrack separately, so it should at least sound "different" (hopefully anyway).

Red Tails contains pure PCM, so I'm having to use a different MKV editing program to compress the video down a bit (say half; now hat I think about it HEVC could do that without losing any quality) to transfer over the local network without any hiccups without disturbing the PCM soundtrack; the other titles have it locked inside DTS shells, which are easy to put even into M4V files you can store in iTunes).

post #5809 of 6397 Old 08-20-2018, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm curious what Auro 3D titles, if any you've tried on your system, Nalleh. Is there some discussion on here already I should look for earlier in the thread? I just got three more in today (Red Tails, Dark Tower and Johnny Mnemonic, the latter also has an Atmos soundtrack to compare and unlike some, I heard two different teams did the soundtrack separately, so it should at least sound "different" (hopefully anyway).

Red Tails contains pure PCM, so I'm having to use a different MKV editing program to compress the video down a bit (say half; now hat I think about it HEVC could do that without losing any quality) to transfer over the local network without any hiccups without disturbing the PCM soundtrack; the other titles have it locked inside DTS shells, which are easy to put even into M4V files you can store in iTunes).
All of them(movies) and some music.

My favourites are Red Tails, Ghostbusters(new one) and Blade Runner 2049.

Well, i guess there are reviews around the thread, but not to easy to find, i guess
But in the beginning there were a lot of people complaining about Auro, and it turned out they did not listen to the native mix, but the upmixed PCM/DTS-HD track. As the display shows Auro 3D anyway, it is important to press info and check that it shows Auro 3D under input and also the correct amount of input channels.

EDIT: here is a link to reviews on the Red Tails, inc. a link to my review a bit down on page:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...orth-wait.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22A62D75-872A-47E0-B0BF-FF22097F114C.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	2444306  
MagnumX likes this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 08-21-2018 at 02:00 AM.
post #5810 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 AM

I prefer auro3d for all music, is very good for stereo upmixing, but even better for any 5.1music.
post #5811 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
But in the beginning there were a lot of people complaining about Auro, and it turned out they did not listen to the native mix, but the upmixed PCM/DTS-HD track. As the display shows Auro 3D anyway, it is important to press info and check that it shows Auro 3D under input and also the correct amount of input channels.
Are you referring to where it says "Input" in writing or the input channel "grid" ? I know the latter will actually just say "Atmos" instead of showing the input speaker channels (I assumed because it can cover any number of channels including ones it doesn't have) whereas DTSX shows the actual input channels used and when I tested the Auro 3D demo and Blade Runner 2049, it also showed the block speaker map (e.g. "SHL" and "SHR" would be filled in along with the regular bed channels and FHL and FHR). It would say "Auro 3D" in the input signal, but it did not say "Auro 3D" in the input block diagram like Atmos says.

I just wanted clarification since you say some were apparently listening to the material through the upmixer. I'm not sure how that's possible offhand if it was the actual Auro 3D movies they were watching. Shouldn't even manually selecting Auro 3D as the decoder automatically decode Auro 3D source materail if it's in Auro 3D? How did they end up with the upmixer under those conditions? I assumed it was decoding correctly given the overhead car flybys and what not circles around the ceiling the same way on both the Atmos and Auro 3D versions.

Quote:
EDIT: here is a link to reviews on the Red Tails, inc. a link to my review a bit down on page:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...orth-wait.html
Thanks. I'll be sure and read it.

post #5812 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you referring to where it says "Input" in writing or the input channel "grid" ? I know the latter will actually just say "Atmos" instead of showing the input speaker channels (I assumed because it can cover any number of channels including ones it doesn't have) whereas DTSX shows the actual input channels used and when I tested the Auro 3D demo and Blade Runner 2049, it also showed the block speaker map (e.g. "SHL" and "SHR" would be filled in along with the regular bed channels and FHL and FHR). It would say "Auro 3D" in the input signal, but it did not say "Auro 3D" in the input block diagram like Atmos says.

I just wanted clarification since you say some were apparently listening to the material through the upmixer. I'm not sure how that's possible offhand if it was the actual Auro 3D movies they were watching. Shouldn't even manually selecting Auro 3D as the decoder automatically decode Auro 3D source materail if it's in Auro 3D? How did they end up with the upmixer under those conditions? I assumed it was decoding correctly given the overhead car flybys and what not circles around the ceiling the same way on both the Atmos and Auro 3D versions.

Thanks. I'll be sure and read it.
Yes, you have it correctly, Auro 3D/DTS-HD or Auro 3D/pcm must show on the input signal, and you should also see the active heights on the «grid», to the left. The right just show what speakers are active, not the signal.

First choose the right track(Auro), and then be sure it is processing correct(press movie button and choose Auro).

Some just started with the german 7.1 track and as such did not listen to the native Auro track, even if the display showed Auro 3D. Point is(with all formats): be sure you have the right format by pressing info button.

Seems you have it correct

Like so:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2DF29517-B9B1-4F74-9616-21A61960D86A.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2444348  

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 08-21-2018 at 03:48 AM.
post #5813 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
It has been making me wonder especially after coming across an article back in 2016 that Sony was moving from Dolby Atmos to Auro 3D. I guess ether the deal fell apart or Dolby threatened to sue them for some reason, but that is just a guess.
Actually 9 of those 10 is released already.
Slightly updated list:

1. Red Tails BD(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/Red-Tails-Blu-...dp/B00B93N75W/

2. Bowling Balls BD(NL):
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/bowling-bal...0000040520739/

3. Pippa BD(NL):
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/pippa/92000...uggestedsearch

4. Pixels BD(Sony)(UK):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixels-Blu-...pixels+blu+ray

5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre UHD(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/Chainsaw-Massa...dp/B01DXIP53C/

6. Cold War 2 BD (HK):
https://www.hmv.com.hk/goods/1016492.html

7. Ghostbusters(Sony) UHD(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/Ghostbusters-4...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

8. Inferno BD(Sony) (AU):
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...u+ray&_sacat=0

9. Johnny Mnemonic BD(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/Vernetzt-Mnemo...ohnny+mnemonic

10. Passengers BD (Sony)(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/Passengers-Blu...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

11. Spiderman Homecoming BD(Sony)(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/Spider-Man-Hom...SIN=B073WZG3SP

12. Dark Tower BD(Sony)(DE):
https://www.amazon.de/dunkle-Turm-Bl...SIN=B074JS663T

13. Flatliners BD(SONY) (UK)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flatliners-...7121926&sr=1-2

14. Blade Runner 2049 BD(Sony) (PL)
https://www.dvdmax.pl/blade-runner-2...-ray,art663117

15. Salyut 7 BD(RS)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263422297452

16. Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle BD(Sony) (DE)
https://www.amazon.de/Jumanji-Willko...umanji+blu+ray

17. Patser (Gangsta)(NL)
https://www.bol.com/nl/s/algemeen/zo...all/index.html

Nalleh’s HT
post #5814 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 07:08 AM

This is behalf of my colleague Thomas.

Hello.
I'm from Poland. We are users of Auro-3D. I, for a long time, has been developing ways to physically combine the Auro and Atmos speaker configurations.
I do not want to be immodest, but I am the originator of the device that you know under the name Denon X8500H. And I'm glad that they were received with enthusiasm. Although it is not what I wanted it to be. That's why I developed his revised successor. Maybe now they'll understand what's going on.

"Hi Tomas,
That would be indeed great!

Regards,
Auro-support team"

In addition, I have developed a power amplifier as its supplement.

I sent both concepts to Auro Tech, just like my idea for X8500. Certainly both projects lie on the desks of D & M engineers.

I also developed a splitter (under construction), whose functionality I placed in both the power amplifier and the successor 8500. Thanks to it, it is possible not only to switch between Auro and Atmos systems, but also to mix them, which can give unique configurations. This is shown in the diagram below.

The splitter itself looks like this.

And his concept.

In the case of an independent unit, the problem is calibration. But this is done by downloading the calibration via USB (X4400H), for each type of speaker system that we are currently using.

I am writing about all this to anticipate, what may possibly happen with the successor of the 8500 model

Regards.
Thomas.

Last edited by raf77; 08-21-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #5815 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
This is behalf of my colleague Thomas.

Hello.
I'm from Poland. We are users of Auro-3D. I, for a long time, has been developing ways to physically combine the Auro and Atmos speaker configurations.
I do not want to be immodest, but I am the originator of the device that you know under the name Denon X8500H. And I'm glad that they were received with enthusiasm. Although it is not what I wanted it to be. That's why I developed his revised successor. Maybe now they'll understand what's going on.

In addition, I have developed a power amplifier as its supplement.

I sent both concepts to Auro Tech, just like my idea for X8500. Certainly both projects lie on the desks of D & M engineers.

I also developed a splitter (under construction), whose functionality I placed in both the power amplifier and the successor 8500. Thanks to it, it is possible not only to switch between Auro and Atmos systems, but also to mix them, which can give unique configurations. This is shown in the diagram below.

The splitter itself looks like this.

And his concept.

In the case of an independent unit, the problem is calibration. But this is done by downloading the calibration via USB (X4400H), for each type of speaker system that we are currently using.

I am writing about all this to anticipate, what may possibly happen with the successor of the 8500 model

Regards.
Thomas.
Ineresting
perhaps you could ask Thomas why he didn't get Auro to use the Atmos Top Middle pair in mono for the Auro voice of God?
post #5816 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
I prefer auro3d for all music, is very good for stereo upmixing, but even better for any 5.1music.
When it's an action movie in an audio format without Atmos or DTS:X, I use the Neural upmixer. When it's a "mood" movie where the musical soundtrack is significant in the emotional involvement with the movie, I use the Auro upmixer.
raf77 likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5817 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 08:14 AM

Lesmor I will ask him.
Lesmor likes this.
post #5818 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered 3 more (Flatliners, Pixels [twas dirt cheap at like $3 US] and Inferno). That will put me at 8 Auro 3D titles when they all arrive.
Nalleh likes this.

post #5819 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 604
When updating a Marantz AV7703 for Auro codex's, are any current options removed/replaced to make way for the Auro menu options?
TIA

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #5820 of 6397 Old 08-21-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
When updating a Marantz AV7703 for Auro codex's, are any current options removed/replaced to make way for the Auro menu options?
TIA
I can't speak for the AV7703, but my SR7010 didn't lose any options that I'm aware of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page