The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version) - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1873Likes

post #6061 of 6360 Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
It's "officially" incompatible.

So I'd have to constantly switch between Top-Front/-Back and Front-/Back-Height when watching movies? That's a bummer. I've read something about "unified speaker layout" and I thought maybe that's some sort of feature where the receiver "tricks" Auro-3D in accepting non-conforming layouts, but the help page wasn't entirely clear to me.

So when I have a Top-Front/Top-Back configuration, the Auro-3D upmixer will simply not show up as an option? Or will those 4 speakers stay muted the entire time? Or will they just play incorrectly projected sounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6360 Old 11-22-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by suarsg View Post
So I'd have to constantly switch between Top-Front/-Back and Front-/Back-Height when watching movies? That's a bummer. I've read something about "unified speaker layout" and I thought maybe that's some sort of feature where the receiver "tricks" Auro-3D in accepting non-conforming layouts, but the help page wasn't entirely clear to me.

So when I have a Top-Front/Top-Back configuration, the Auro-3D upmixer will simply not show up as an option? Or will those 4 speakers stay muted the entire time? Or will they just play incorrectly projected sounds?
Top Front and Front Height are ultimately just angle differences. The Atmos renderer supposedly will take into account those positions and a sound closer to that location may appear louder in that speaker versus the other location sooner/later/whatever depending on where it moves in space, etc. But we're talking about a few feet in practical usage in a typical room difference between the two locations. These locations are more or less "off screen" so whether you'd even notice a real difference or care in actual usage is another matter. Some people with height speakers prefer the top designation, for instance because they feel they "get more sound" from that one (here I've noticed little to no noticeable differences when I tested the two settings with heights speakers, but then I'm creating a top middle location that bridges them and even before that point, I was using top middle as the "4 speaker" location so it still only panned between those locations, so either way they're going to play somewhere overhead here).

Auro-3D, OTOH, is a channel based system. Even if it could use the top designation, it wouldn't output anything different for that reason. It doesn't "render"; it just outputs the channel. That is why you can set it to rear height and use a speaker selector to move the output to a side height location and it will be identical either way. It's just sending it to a different location. DTS "can" use objects, but most mixes don't in the US (demos excepted). Some foreign mixes are using objects. Why they're not using objects in the US in practice, I have no idea. Maybe it's because it's kind of moot with only 11-channels (that's officially why Auro-3D doesn't use objects at home. They don't see the point when short of a Trinnov, you aren't going to get more than 13 channels right now anyway (hacks aside) and Auro-3D 13.1 is already a thing on the 8500H (sadly there are only two native 13.1 Auro movies on Blu-Ray AFAIK).

So, in other words, you can try front height + rear height and then compare some material with top front and top rear and see if it even matters to you which location you're using (ceiling speakers doesn't necessarily mean they're not in the height angle location anyway). If it doesn't matter to you then you can just use front height + rear height for your ceiling speakers and try out Auro-3D all you want with those settings. If it does matter, you'll either have to save/switch or do without. Auro-3D will only function in "2D" mode for the top designations.
suarsg likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-21-19)
post #6063 of 6360 Old 11-22-2018, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Top Front and Front Height are ultimately just angle differences. [...]

Sounds like that's something I'd just need to try in my room. Unfortunately, the reason I'm getting the Denon X4500H is because I've heard good things about the Auro-upmixer and wanted to use it for 5.1/7.1 but would rather just get the Marantz SR6013 which has no Auro3D but it's cheaper and (IMO) looks better. If I get the Denon and it won't work for me I'll be mad for not getting the Marantz instead. If I get the Marantz, I'll be mad for not trying out if the Auro-upmixer works or not... damn it, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6064 of 6360 Old 11-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
I'm about to purchase a Denon X4500H, I have a 5.2.4 setup with 4 ceiling speakers. I know my speaker layout is incompatible with Auro-3D content, but can I still use the Auro-3D Auro-Matic upmixer for 5.1/7.1 content so my ceiling speakers get used?
Are you very displeased with the way Dolby Surround or Neural X handles the upmixing?
I paid the $199 to add Auro to my Marantz 7703 but didn't find it worth the money as a upmixer.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #6065 of 6360 Old 11-22-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like that's something I'd just need to try in my room. Unfortunately, the reason I'm getting the Denon X4500H is because I've heard good things about the Auro-upmixer and wanted to use it for 5.1/7.1 but would rather just get the Marantz SR6013 which has no Auro3D but it's cheaper and (IMO) looks better. If I get the Denon and it won't work for me I'll be mad for not getting the Marantz instead. If I get the Marantz, I'll be mad for not trying out if the Auro-upmixer works or not... damn it, lol.
I'm not crazy about the Auro-3D upmixer, personally (I do like the Auro-3D native modes, but then Atmos/X could work just as well; Red Tails was exceptional, though so I do wonder if they made Auro-oriented mixes if they'd actually have some better handling, but then there's the missing rear channel as well so....) But with the upmixer, I can't even hear the other speakers most of the time. I think it's more of an ambience thing. I like the multi-channel music mode once I adjust (and then save in a smart setting) the output levels so the surround channels aren't overwhelming. I've got 7-channel inputs, so I've thought about routing my Yamaha's PLIIx output to it (i.e. send music source to Yamaha and then Yamaha output to Marantz 7012 and I've then got PLIIx music processing again. )

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-21-19)
post #6066 of 6360 Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Are you very displeased with the way Dolby Surround or Neural X handles the upmixing?
I paid the $199 to add Auro to my Marantz 7703 but didn't find it worth the money as a upmixer.

I am just the opposite, I liked Dobly, Neural X was even better, but found Auro3d up mixing to be worth every cent, I use it for everything now, TV shows, sports, gaming, music, streaming movies, Blu Rays (all formats).

I think one really needs to hear it in their setup to decide, I would go for the Denon suarsg just so you don't regret later, even if you opt not to use Auro3d at least you will never wonder what you might be missing.
vn800art likes this.
post #6067 of 6360 Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post
FYI:

I found this site https://www.gucca.dk/ it is a Danish site so you will need to use a translator but they ship to the US and I was able order both Jumanji 2 and Dark Tower Auro3D Blu Ray versions.
I received them today so their delivery time is about 10 days give or take;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontBR.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	2489098   Click image for larger version

Name:	BackBR.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	2489102  
post #6068 of 6360 Old 11-29-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recommend Red Tails in Auro-3D since AFAIK, it's not available in Dolby Atmos or DTS X. The flyover effects are great in it.

post #6069 of 6360 Old 11-30-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recommend Red Tails in Auro-3D since AFAIK, it's not available in Dolby Atmos or DTS X. The flyover effects are great in it.
I read your post on it, I found a copy of the Auro3d version on Ebay should be here in about a week or so, looking forward to hearing it.
post #6070 of 6360 Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX

I read your post on it, I found a copy of the Auro3d version on Ebay should be here in about a week or so, looking forward to hearing it.
This is a good demonstration on that the Auro-3D coding in itself is a good thing... it sounds sooo good also without Auro.... Which doesn't mean I don't think Auro is a good thing.... I mean that putting a soundtrack through Auro-encoding is a good thing - and benefincial to more than Auro users.

Codename - the Larch theater
post #6071 of 6360 Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX
I recommend Red Tails in Auro-3D since AFAIK, it's not available in Dolby Atmos or DTS X. The flyover effects are great in it. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

This is a good demonstration on that the Auro-3D coding in itself is a good thing... it sounds sooo good also without Auro.... Which doesn't mean I don't think Auro is a good thing.... I mean that putting a soundtrack through Auro-encoding is a good thing - and benefincial to more than Auro users.
I wasn't aware Auro encoding had anything to do with the bed only base soundtrack other than the mixer guy doing a good job in general. I do think there are a lot of 5.1 only releases that Auro could offer to upgrade to Auro 11.1 for a cheap price to gain some market share. Assuming a theatrical mix already exists, it might be relatively easily modified for home playback. I do know if they continue to do nothing, they are already dead.

I'd take Auro-3D over 5.1 or even possibly 7.1, but Atmos and DTS X support rear surrounds without a 13 channel AVR and so overall I think they create a more fully enveloping soundfield. Even Auro 13.1 doesn't have dedicated rear heights. They're copies if the side heights in Auro 11.1 theaters.

Center height and VOG used as a center top middle would make nice additions to either Atmos or DTS X layouts, IMO. You could do it with extraction (in phase Top Middle sent to top surround and the same for in phase front heights to center height along with some center low for dialog lift.). These would work with Atmos soundtracks (kind if a Neural X for Atmos substitute if you will). I've been thinking about trying it out with my setup for VOG as the speaker is only worthwhile if there's some soundtracks to listen to with it. Otherwise, I'd only get it with Auro-3D and that amounts to 10 whole movies right now here.

Last edited by MagnumX; 11-30-2018 at 10:38 AM.
post #6072 of 6360 Old 11-30-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I wasn't aware Auro encoding had anything to do with the bed only base soundtrack other than the mixer guy doing a good job in general.

Then you know now. Of course an Auro mix is an entirely new mix compared to an old 5.1 or 7.1 one.... they don't arrive at Auro and say "please remix this". It's an entirely new mix using Auro's tool.... and that results not just in that you can extract the Auro height channels from it.... it also has a new bed mix. And so far.... I think that's been superior.

Auro-3D is a format from scratch... not to confuse with Auromatic which can upmix existing formats.

Codename - the Larch theater
post #6073 of 6360 Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Quote:
I wasn't aware Auro encoding had anything to do with the bed only base soundtrack other than the mixer guy doing a good job in general.

Then you know now. Of course an Auro mix is an entirely new mix compared to an old 5.1 or 7.1 one.... they don't arrive at Auro and say "please remix this". It's an entirely new mix using Auro's tool.... and that results not just in that you can extract the Auro height channels from it.... it also has a new bed mix. And so far.... I think that's been superior.

Auro-3D is a format from scratch... not to confuse with Auromatic which can upmix existing formats.
I think you're missing my point. The bed mix is NOT actually technically Auro-3D and does not need an Auro-3D decoder. It may be mixed at their studios or it may be just another master mix output in Auro-3D using something like DTS's tools (one mix to rule them all). This is likely why most Auro mixes sound so similar to the Atmos mix (e.g. Blade Runner 2049). Red Tails is a clear exception as it is unique (ALL the other mainstream Auro-3D BD titles are available in Atmos too.

Johnny Mnemonic specifically noted they DID use separate mixing teams for Auro and Atmos. Sadly, both mixes lack.

I do not believe the mixes are ALL "from scratch." That goes contrary to what I've read. Even if they were, that doesn't make the bed layer Auro-3D. It is just PCM, usually in a DTS wrapper.

I'm not sure how you think the soundtracks DO arrive for a new mix (individual sound files? Some foley artists perhaps?), but I know my own album mixes are in Logic Pro format and can easily be remixed from those files. You would not likely want to start from scratch to remix my album into 5.1 or higher. You would start with the existing album and go from there.

An entire team often works on a typical big budget movie soundtrack (I read Star Wars took a year to make the final soundtrack). Remixing is not creating a new soundtrack from scratch. It's choosing what to put where from an existing master soundtrack. I can tell just listening to Blade Runner in Atmos, it suffers from the same source limitations as the stereo and 5.1 mixes.

All my music is stored in tracks, some mono, some stereo. Panning, levels, phase, etc. can all be easily modified without touching the content itself or it can be exported for cleanup or I could even add new things to it. DAWs are very flexible. I keep multiple backups so nothing us going to happen if I change a copy.

Now if you're saying you like the bed mixes these Auro mixes end up with better, fine. But it's still the person (or algorithm in an automatic master type export) doing the mix, not just a magic Auro encoder.

post #6074 of 6360 Old 11-30-2018, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I can read Danish enough to know both of those aren't going to work on my A coded Blu-ray player, right? What I see is region 2 coded.

I bought a couple of Auro-3D Blu-ray/4k discs from Amazon's British and German sites, but both were unlocked / region agnostic.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 11-30-2018 at 08:42 PM.
post #6075 of 6360 Old 12-01-2018, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see Region A,B,C on the back of those two (Jumanji and Dark Tower) he posted. I'm not sure what you see. The only Auro-3D disc I have that appears to be region coded (didn't actually try the disc in the drive since I just dumped it for hard drive playback which removes the code) was Inferno from Australia. All the other discs were region free.

post #6076 of 6360 Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
I think you're missing my point. The bed mix is NOT actually technically Auro-3D and does not need an Auro-3D decoder. It may be mixed at their studios or it may be just another master mix output in Auro-3D using something like DTS's tools (one mix to rule them all). This is likely why most Auro mixes sound so similar to the Atmos mix (e.g. Blade Runner 2049). Red Tails is a clear exception as it is unique (ALL the other mainstream Auro-3D BD titles are available in Atmos too.
Before I sold you my copy of Blade Runner 2049 in Auro 😊 over the summer, you might remember I did an Atmos vs. Auro comparison in a Trinnov setup where I could switch between different layouts on my presets, and look at an input meter to see how channels were decoded/used by the renderers. I wouldn’t call the two mixes similar...rather different mix philosophies at work (assumedly but not 100% sure they started from the same stems). I posted it on another thread, but cimmented here.

The direct link is:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56550656
Ted99 likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #6077 of 6360 Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Before I sold you my copy of Blade Runner 2049 in Auro 😊 over the summer, you might remember I did an Atmos vs. Auro comparison in a Trinnov setup where I could switch between different layouts on my presets, and look at an input meter to see how channels were decoded/used by the renderers. I wouldn’t call the two mixes similar...rather different mix philosophies at work (assumedly but not 100% sure they started from the same stems). I posted it on another thread, but cimmented here.
Well, I've only done swap tests with the first half hour or so of Blade Runner (before my 7010 died) and at least at the time they certainly sounded more alike than different here from the MLP. I don't have the ability to simulate other speaker setups (like ceiling versus heights or side heights), but with my Monoprice switchbox, I can now choose between side height only, rear height or both at the same time OR rear height plus extracted speaker side height between front height and rear height.

I plan to get back to Blade Runner again soon (just sold my couch; my new front row chairs come in about a week from now) so I will do some more tests then (I can swap between them fairly quickly with KODI.). I do remember the other review from Ted saying he mostly noticed atmospheric/echo type differences. The interrogation/test voice came from the same spot here. The car flew overhead the same here as well. They seemed similar enough the first half hour I wouldn't have noticed a difference, I think. I've also now have three rows of seats (well two until the new chairs come in).

I did do a lot of testing recently with Red Tails with three rows and the different combos of height speakers. Certainly, for rows two and three using rear heights helped a lot with immersion (side height + rear height sounded great for all three rows). The top middle extraction (meant for Atmos and X) also worked great.

Frankly, other than direct comparisons it's hard to tell how much difference the mixes have other than no rear surrounds with Auro-3D. Even then, I found the Auro-3D demo effectively conveyed rear information well past the side speakers even from behind them with only them on. With rear heights engaged, it sounded similar in capability to Atmos 7.1.4 minus the lower rears.

I believe Nalleh has compared them all pretty extensively. I've got well over half in Atmos too so it's just a matter of time to watch them twice. Sadly, I'm about 50 movies behind as it is right now (about 20 of which are 3D video even). I've got 15 more on the way too. I watched The Meg and Solo in 3D with Neural X most recently.

Regardless, it's hard to gage which system can potentially sound better (speaker layout wise) when tbd mixes themselves can vary so much. And I don't have side ceiling speakers to compare to the side heights either.

I think I may try some more scenes when I get home to compare. The proctor sounded center height at the time to me, but everything is more optimized now so we'll see.

Last edited by MagnumX; 12-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
post #6078 of 6360 Old 12-01-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see Region A,B,C on the back of those two (Jumanji and Dark Tower) he posted. I'm not sure what you see. The only Auro-3D disc I have that appears to be region coded (didn't actually try the disc in the drive since I just dumped it for hard drive playback which removes the code) was Inferno from Australia. All the other discs were region free.
Yes the Jumanji 2, Dark Tower and the Spider-man Homecoming I just got are all A,B,C (Region Free)

I watched Dark Tower today, it is Auro3d 5.1 which I thought was odd expected 9.1 nevertheless sure sounded good the heights and the VOGs got a work out.
post #6079 of 6360 Old 12-01-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the Jumanji 2, Dark Tower and the Spider-man Homecoming I just got are all A,B,C (Region Free)

I watched Dark Tower today, it is Auro3d 5.1 which I thought was odd expected 9.1 nevertheless sure sounded good the heights and the VOGs got a work out.
There is no Auro-3D 5.1. The 5.1 is the bed/core carrier (in a DTS wrapper). I'm not 100% certain you watched it in Auro-3D (it's possible you watched it in Neural X, for example if all you saw was "5.1") so I'll go over a couple of things you may or may not be aware of so you can be certain you decoded Auro-3D. (Neural X does a pretty good job simulating it, IMO based on the demo files I compared with it versus the real thing so you would get loads of height sounds even if it was in the wrong mode).

There's basically two things you need to do when you play an Auro-3D native movie to be sure you're watching it in Auro-3D and not the base/bed track.

One is make sure you've manually selected Auro-3D with one of the surround buttons (e.g. "Movie" below Smart Select 1) as D&M receivers apparently cannot auto-detect Auro-3D movies. If you see "Neural X" or "DTS" on the 2-line display (or Info button on-screen) then you're not watching it in Auro-3D but in the DTS 5.1 (plus whatever upmixer) mode. That's a great mode to compare the Neural X upmixer, but not what you want for native decoding.

The other thing is press the INFO button. It will tell you if it's picking up the Auro-3D signal in Auro-3D decoding mode (It should say something like "DTS Master/Auro-3D" or something to that effect (forget exactly offhand). On Red Tails, it will say, "PCM/Auro-3D" instead (as it doesn't use a DTS wrapper). If it says something like "DTS 5.1/Neural X" or something to that effect you're not in Auro-3D mode and aren't decoding it. If the decoder says Auro-3D but the "format" line does not also, then you're using the Auromatic upmixer with the DTS signal. Both format and decoder should read Auro-3D. The "IN" speakers will show FH (front height), SH (surround height), TS (Top Surround aka VOG) and CH (Center Height) for an Auro-3D 11.1 movie in addition to the typical L/C/R and side surround speakers (SS?) (don't have it in front of me). One thing is for certain. You'll NEVER see "SH" (surround height" on the "IN" signal block list unless it's got a real Auro-3D signal as nothing else uses that for an input (Neural X can use it for an OUTPUT, but only Auro-3D stores that channel as a discrete channel) so if nothing else is clear, that should make obvious whether you have the input signal working correctly or not.

The out speakers, of course will show the speakers you're actually using that it can make use of (could include Rear Height for example and won't include CH (Center Height) unless you have an 8500H with that speaker connected, but most of the native Auro-3D titles are 11.1 with most D&M AVRs able to play up to 10.1. Two titles (Texas Chainsaw Massacre & Johnny Mnemonic I believe) are Auro-3D 13.1 titles and also use rear surround (the 8500H will use the upmixer to produce output even on 9.1-11.1 titles; the other AVRs will not).
YKA likes this.

post #6080 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is no Auro-3D 5.1. The 5.1 is the bed/core carrier (in a DTS wrapper). I'm not 100% certain you watched it in Auro-3D (it's possible you watched it in Neural X, for example if all you saw was "5.1") so I'll go over a couple of things you may or may not be aware of so you can be certain you decoded Auro-3D. (Neural X does a pretty good job simulating it, IMO based on the demo files I compared with it versus the real thing so you would get loads of height sounds even if it was in the wrong mode).
This is what it shows and what I selected:

I think it must be a typo because it does not sound like a 5.1 core up mixed I am betting it is really 9.1

I will fire it up again in a bit and see what the info button displays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Tower.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2490188  
post #6081 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, the menu doesn't mean much (clearly someone put the wrong label). What you get on the receiver is what matters.
vn800art likes this.

post #6082 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
This is what it shows and what I selected:

I think it must be a typo because it does not sound like a 5.1 core up mixed I am betting it is really 9.1

Yes, my Marantz 7703 does recognize Auro automatically. Have to push one of the remotes "Sound Modes" buttons and select it manually.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #6083 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Yes, my Marantz 7703 does recognize Auro automatically. Have to push one of the remotes "Sound Modes" buttons and select it manually.
I assume you meant "doesn't" there. I could have sworn my 7010 did initially recognize it after the upgrade, but I might have just had that stored in the Smart Mode as the default mode or something. My 7012 certainly does not detect it automatically. I saved a Smart Select button with it so I don't have to keep pushing the surround button (Smart Select 1 does Atmos/DTS/Stereo automatic, 2 does Auro-3D, 4 does modified multi-channel stereo (levels changed so it's usable) and heavier bass regular stereo (flat is on 1). I think I left three open for a future device/use.

post #6084 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I’m thinking about upgraded my current Denon with a newer model (x4500h) and it has Auro-3D. I know absolutely nothing about it. I have a 5.1.2 speaker configuration. I won’t be adding any more speakers. I guess Auro-3D is useless to me correct? I see something mentioned about Auro-2D in the guide. Is that useful as a Dolby Sorround or DTS Neural:X substitute? If so, any ideas if it’s an improvement over those 2 upmixers? Thanks for any information.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #6085 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

AFAIK, Auro-3D should work with a 5.1.2 configuration (front heights must be enabled). In fact, from what I read most recently that is exactly the configuration they're looking at pushing next (as it obviously would bring them into the 7.1 receiver market; they can't get anywhere when they're only on medium to high-end products).

Auro-2D only uses bed level speakers (and is compatible with rear surround speakers as well). Whether it's "better" than Neural X, well that's subjective. Many seem to prefer Auro for music, for instance, but opinions vary.

post #6086 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AFAIK, Auro-3D should work with a 5.1.2 configuration (front heights must be enabled). In fact, from what I read most recently that is exactly the configuration they're looking at pushing next (as it obviously would bring them into the 7.1 receiver market; they can't get anywhere when they're only on medium to high-end products).

Auro-2D only uses bed level speakers (and is compatible with rear surround speakers as well). Whether it's "better" than Neural X, well that's subjective. Many seem to prefer Auro for music, for instance, but opinions vary.
Thank you for the information. I have the old typical 5.1 set up basically with two Atmos up firing speaker sitting on the front left and right speakers. The two surrounds our about 2 feet above my head. In my room. There just was no way to bring them down to the recommended location for Atmos set up due to doors and shelves.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #6087 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Thank you for the information. I have the old typical 5.1 set up basically with two Atmos up firing speaker sitting on the front left and right speakers. The two surrounds our about 2 feet above my head. In my room. There just was no way to bring them down to the recommended location for Atmos set up due to doors and shelves.
The only thing is I'm not certain if the 4500H works with Atmos "enabled" (bouncy) speakers or not with Auro-3D. I believe they did add support for them in the Denon 8500H so it would make sense the newest model would support them as a configuration...let me look at the 4500's manual.... Yup. The 4500H claims to support "enabled" speakers (p.36 manual) for Auro-3D and only needs the front set to function (p.146 in the manual). You should be all set.

post #6088 of 6360 Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only thing is I'm not certain if the 4500H works with Atmos "enabled" (bouncy) speakers or not with Auro-3D. I believe they did add support for them in the Denon 8500H so it would make sense the newest model would support them as a configuration...let me look at the 4500's manual.... Yup. The 4500H claims to support "enabled" speakers (p.36 manual) for Auro-3D and only needs the front set to function (p.146 in the manual). You should be all set.
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the information. I plan on purchasing it right after the first of the year if all goes as planned. Again, much appreciated. I have the downloaded Manual. I would look at it more thoroughly.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #6089 of 6360 Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you ever check the info button out with it?

post #6090 of 6360 Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a Marantz AV7702mk2 running 7.2 and just upgraded system to Auro. I am using Auro 2d and love it as an up mixer. Getting ready to install the 7.2.4 at the ceiling wall junction. Does anyone know how this will work with the AV7702mk2 as far as using both Atmos and Auro 3D? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page