The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version) - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1971Likes

post #6391 of 6522 Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYanguas View Post
If you can prewire easily, I would recommend you to prewire not only for the Rear Height (mainly for Atmos/DTS:X), but also for the Surround Height (Specially recommended for Auro-3D). This in case you could position speakers over the side surrounds. You could then, eventually, use either Rear Heights or Surround Heights, or even both of them to expand the rear sound stage if your room layout permits that.

In my room I get good "sound bubble" with Surround Heights using Auro-3D/Auromatic
thank you ill prewire for Height surround just in case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6522 Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will Auro-3D do anything with only a 5.1 setup? There is supposedly a "2D-surround" , but I can't tell if that provides virtual height/speakers or not.
post #6393 of 6522 Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus77 View Post
Will Auro-3D do anything with only a 5.1 setup? There is supposedly a "2D-surround" , but I can't tell if that provides virtual height/speakers or not.
It will expand tracks under 5.1 to 5.1.
No height virtualization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6394 of 6522 Old 09-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Sorry but I got to say this. If you want an immersive soundscape experience install ceiling speakers. At a minimum you can try the Dolby Enhanced (bouncy house) upward aiming speakers, they might get you some satisfaction.
Anything else like Atmos Enhanced sound bars or some tricky DSP manipulation of a 5.1 source, is simply marketing BS IMHO and not worth the time or money to even think about.
YMMV
LawCPA likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #6395 of 6522 Old 09-06-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 981
DTS Virtual X works pretty decent, IMO. Dolby is supposed to be offering their own (if not now on newer AVRs, soon). It's certainly better than nothing and costs you nothing in terms of new speakers (worked better here with 7.1 layout, though than 5.1, IMO).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 3-24-20)
post #6396 of 6522 Old 09-06-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version)

I’m watching Homefront https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Homefront-Blu-ray/91037/, so far so good. Wow that is some deep bass at the 30min mark during the fight at the gas station. It just keeps a constant bass wave going throughout the fight. Had Auro-3D upmixing at large, level 15 setting. My whole room was pressurized. I can confirm Auro added tons of bass while I had already turned up my sub in the speaker level from -9 to -6 (6dB increase). I reduced it and set it back to reference calibration and compared Auro and without...and I’m telling you folks, Auro really added a lot of bass.
post #6397 of 6522 Old 09-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23651 Post(s)
Liked: 13019
Quote:
Auro 2D is used for a floor only speaker setup, while Auro 3D is used when height speakers are added. While AuroMatic is used to simulate audio to additional speakers, unlike DTS Virtual:X and Dolby Height Virtualizer, Auro (at least currently) offers no similar "virtual" height simulator.
vn800art and LawCPA like this.
post #6398 of 6522 Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like TEN more Blu-Rays will soon be released in Auro-3D from a picture deal with TURBINE. Unfortunately, it sounds like they will all be for German subbed tracks as that's Turbine's speciality.... (https://www.auro-3d.com/press/2019/0...-picture-deal/)

That's not exactly the kind of new news I wanted to hear after all this time from Auro Technologies. If that's the best they can do after two years since the Sony deal, I don't see things moving too fast any time soon. It seems almost amazing they can't cut a deal with SOMEONE in Europe for movies that have been overlooked thus far from the major studios. You have to get your name out there somehow and Auro's plan seems to be to go hide in the corner until the 23rd century or something..... DTS came last to the table and yet 1/2 of my remaining Blu-Rays so far (after subtracting the 10 from Auro-3D I bought) are DTS:X (35 in DTS:X and 70 in Dolby Atmos not counting streaming titles, in which case Atmos is over twice that). I'd settle for some great music offerings, even (made in dual-quad, which sounds utterly amazing in a holographic sense), but other than Prince, there's not much in the way of rock music (I'm not a big classical/jazz/chamber kind of music person).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 3-24-20)
post #6399 of 6522 Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
It looks like TEN more Blu-Rays will soon be released in Auro-3D from a picture deal with TURBINE. Unfortunately, it sounds like they will all be for German subbed tracks as that's Turbine's speciality.... (https://www.auro-3d.com/press/2019/0...-picture-deal/)

That's not exactly the kind of new news I wanted to hear after all this time from Auro Technologies. If that's the best they can do after two years since the Sony deal, I don't see things moving too fast any time soon. It seems almost amazing they can't cut a deal with SOMEONE in Europe for movies that have been overlooked thus far from the major studios. You have to get your name out there somehow and Auro's plan seems to be to go hide in the corner until the 23rd century or something..... DTS came last to the table and yet 1/2 of my remaining Blu-Rays so far (after subtracting the 10 from Auro-3D I bought) are DTS:X (35 in DTS:X and 70 in Dolby Atmos not counting streaming titles, in which case Atmos is over twice that). I'd settle for some great music offerings, even (made in dual-quad, which sounds utterly amazing in a holographic sense), but other than Prince, there's not much in the way of rock music (I'm not a big classical/jazz/chamber kind of music person).
I am also disappointed by the lack of AURO-3D content, specifically in rock (prog) music.

At least, we can upmix with Auromatic the 5.1 tracks of many albums.

With respect to moving sounds all around and enveloping bubble effects for music, it seems some producers will begin to do something with Dolby Atmos. I always mention Matt Darey (Wolf & Retrospective Dolby Atmos albums) as a reference of this.

If there is a small market for this for Dolby Atmos, I’m afraid there is NO option at all for AURO-3D to take off in the Home and music market.

AVR: Denon AVC X8500H (Atmos 7.1.6, DTS:X, Auro-3D 13.1)
DPY: Optoma UHZ65 / Lumene Majestic Premium 270C / TV LG C9
Ply:: Dune HD Solo 4K / Dune HD PRO 4K / Oppo 203 / Fire Stick 4K
SPs: Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 /Ambiente Center /Master M5 /Access AC / B&W CCM 683
Oth: HDFury Vertex2
post #6400 of 6522 Old 10-22-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYanguas View Post
I am also disappointed by the lack of AURO-3D content, specifically in rock (prog) music.

At least, we can upmix with Auromatic the 5.1 tracks of many albums.
I find it depends on what effect you're looking for. Auromatic creates a nice ambient sound (like you're in a more reflective room like a small concert hall, especially for chamber music, orchestral and perhaps jazz), but if you want Pink Floyd type effects where sound effects and some music bits come from the sides or behind you (let alone above), Auromatic is the worst one, IMO. I think Neural X sometimes goes too far with the overhead effects for things like large instruments, but sometimes it may be what you want. Overall, I think I like Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) the best for rock music. It puts some things in the sides/rears, but doesn't go crazy with overhead effects like Neural X (i.e. main vocals and forward instruments stay at a normal height).

Quote:
With respect to moving sounds all around and enveloping bubble effects for music, it seems some producers will begin to do something with Dolby Atmos. I always mention Matt Darey (Wolf & Retrospective Dolby Atmos albums) as a reference of this.
As I said, the problem with Atmos is that while it can work well (like say Dark Side of the Moon sounds interesting in Quad and/or the Sony 5.1 remix), it's not the same as recording the actual space. If you listen to the music (and even the sound effects) included on the Auro-3D demo discs, they are binaural like, in that the room disappears and you really feel like you're wherever the sounds or music was recorded. The pipe organ really feels like you're in the church with your eyes closed, for example or that Amsterdam city square all around you. This isn't a result of Atmos panned/object effects at all. They used a dual quad-microphone (4 spaced microphones repeated at two height levels and/or more for center/center height and top surround depending on which format of Auro it was recorded in). That creates 8-11 sources of recorded sound that play back precisely in that number of speakers discretely. It creates a holographic like sound field all around you. It's AMAZING sounding, but that is NOT what you get with actual movies in Auro-3D. You get some panned version, usually a hand-me-down from Atmos and that's why Auro-3D movies sound very similar to their Atmos counterparts here (I own 10 movies in Auro-3D, 7 of which I also have in Atmos to compare).

So even if they start releasing some nice concerts or albums in Dolby Atmos, it's going to be more Pink Floyd and less "Binaural" like in presentation. The difference with binaural is anyone with a dummy head and some microphones can make their own binaural concert recordings (you could probably create ear inserts for your own head with microphones on them even to get a precise match) whereas creating your own Auro-3D or Atmos recordings using fixed layouts and microphones is typically beyond the consumer level and there's very little market for it.

Besides, you might get GREAT acoustics in a church or concert hall, but rock concerts have traditionally been in larger venues with poor acoustics (like stadiums, night clubs and outdoor arenas). What ambience are you going to hear? People clapping around you? Generally, it's considered "not worth it" to bother with surround versions, let alone binaural as the sound is crappy in the real venue and probably sounds better off the mixing board when remixed for a CD/BD. I just think it's kind of a shame that Auro-3D's best trick is the dual-quad mic that makes it sound 10x better than Atmos or X when recordings are made that way, but even though you COULD do a print-through channel limited 7.1.4 type track with Atmos or X recorded that way (that would still expand with Neural X or whatever fairly well), you aren't LIKELY to get it because Dolby didn't design Atmos with "binaural-like" fixed channel microphone layouts in mind to make recordings that way. It's designed for objects and objects <> binaural-like. Dual-quad microphones on Auro-3D are EXACTLY analogous to multi-channel immersive as dummy head mics are for binaural headphones that sound holographic (so long as the dummy head is reasonably close to your own).

Quote:
If there is a small market for this for Dolby Atmos, I’m afraid there is NO option at all for AURO-3D to take off in the Home and music market.
I think it's an absolute mistake to conflate the two for the reasons stated above. I would gladly buy an Auro-3D dual-quad version of an album I'm looking to buy over Atmos every single time for those reasons (reality versus a mixing session) and really, there's room on Blu-Rays for BOTH Atmos and Auro-3D and even X too if it's only music and/or you don't have to store some 2.5-3 hour movie on the disc with it. I have one Auro-3D BD album that has stereo, 5.1 and Auro-3D mixes on it. It's not hard to downmix multi-channel to 5.1 and stereo regardless of whether it's dual-quad or panned surround effects.

The trick would be to get a label to make Atmos recordings using a similar microphone setup for 7.x.4. You'd need ideally 11 microphones on a boom stick and a fixed playback layout instead of objects moving around. That is the one time I'd fully support print-through fixed layouts in Atmos because the holographic-like results are worth it. It would be better in DTS:X, though as Neural X can expand it to 30.2 channels in DTS:X Pro just the same without losing the basic effect whereas Atmos might end up with some "holes" in it in larger rooms/systems unless you used something like Trinnov's remapping technology to use mulitple speakers to simulate larger versions of traditional setups.
AYanguas likes this.

post #6401 of 6522 Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I find it depends on what effect you're looking for. Auromatic creates a nice ambient sound (like you're in a more reflective room like a small concert hall, especially for chamber music, orchestral and perhaps jazz), but if you want Pink Floyd type effects where sound effects and some music bits come from the sides or behind you (let alone above), Auromatic is the worst one, IMO. I think Neural X sometimes goes too far with the overhead effects for things like large instruments, but sometimes it may be what you want. Overall, I think I like Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) the best for rock music. It puts some things in the sides/rears, but doesn't go crazy with overhead effects like Neural X (i.e. main vocals and forward instruments stay at a normal height).

As I said, the problem with Atmos is that while it can work well (like say Dark Side of the Moon sounds interesting in Quad and/or the Sony 5.1 remix), it's not the same as recording the actual space. If you listen to the music (and even the sound effects) included on the Auro-3D demo discs, they are binaural like, in that the room disappears and you really feel like you're wherever the sounds or music was recorded. The pipe organ really feels like you're in the church with your eyes closed, for example or that Amsterdam city square all around you. This isn't a result of Atmos panned/object effects at all. They used a dual quad-microphone (4 spaced microphones repeated at two height levels and/or more for center/center height and top surround depending on which format of Auro it was recorded in). That creates 8-11 sources of recorded sound that play back precisely in that number of speakers discretely. It creates a holographic like sound field all around you. It's AMAZING sounding, but that is NOT what you get with actual movies in Auro-3D. You get some panned version, usually a hand-me-down from Atmos and that's why Auro-3D movies sound very similar to their Atmos counterparts here (I own 10 movies in Auro-3D, 7 of which I also have in Atmos to compare).

So even if they start releasing some nice concerts or albums in Dolby Atmos, it's going to be more Pink Floyd and less "Binaural" like in presentation. The difference with binaural is anyone with a dummy head and some microphones can make their own binaural concert recordings (you could probably create ear inserts for your own head with microphones on them even to get a precise match) whereas creating your own Auro-3D or Atmos recordings using fixed layouts and microphones is typically beyond the consumer level and there's very little market for it.

Besides, you might get GREAT acoustics in a church or concert hall, but rock concerts have traditionally been in larger venues with poor acoustics (like stadiums, night clubs and outdoor arenas). What ambience are you going to hear? People clapping around you? Generally, it's considered "not worth it" to bother with surround versions, let alone binaural as the sound is crappy in the real venue and probably sounds better off the mixing board when remixed for a CD/BD. I just think it's kind of a shame that Auro-3D's best trick is the dual-quad mic that makes it sound 10x better than Atmos or X when recordings are made that way, but even though you COULD do a print-through channel limited 7.1.4 type track with Atmos or X recorded that way (that would still expand with Neural X or whatever fairly well), you aren't LIKELY to get it because Dolby didn't design Atmos with "binaural-like" fixed channel microphone layouts in mind to make recordings that way. It's designed for objects and objects <> binaural-like. Dual-quad microphones on Auro-3D are EXACTLY analogous to multi-channel immersive as dummy head mics are for binaural headphones that sound holographic (so long as the dummy head is reasonably close to your own).

I think it's an absolute mistake to conflate the two for the reasons stated above. I would gladly buy an Auro-3D dual-quad version of an album I'm looking to buy over Atmos every single time for those reasons (reality versus a mixing session) and really, there's room on Blu-Rays for BOTH Atmos and Auro-3D and even X too if it's only music and/or you don't have to store some 2.5-3 hour movie on the disc with it. I have one Auro-3D BD album that has stereo, 5.1 and Auro-3D mixes on it. It's not hard to downmix multi-channel to 5.1 and stereo regardless of whether it's dual-quad or panned surround effects.

The trick would be to get a label to make Atmos recordings using a similar microphone setup for 7.x.4. You'd need ideally 11 microphones on a boom stick and a fixed playback layout instead of objects moving around. That is the one time I'd fully support print-through fixed layouts in Atmos because the holographic-like results are worth it. It would be better in DTS:X, though as Neural X can expand it to 30.2 channels in DTS:X Pro just the same without losing the basic effect whereas Atmos might end up with some "holes" in it in larger rooms/systems unless you used something like Trinnov's remapping technology to use mulitple speakers to simulate larger versions of traditional setups.

Yes, I completely agree with all that you say.

My opinion is that as AURO-3D music content is specialized in classical, for the reasons you mention of properly reproducing the room ambient atmosphere, that could be the reason of so few content in AURO-3D of rock music or rock concerts. (if any).

But talking about immersive 3D music audio, it is not only the "real" recordings in a room or concert hall, but the effects of sounds revolving around, mixed at the studio, that could be more appropriate for electronic or rock music than classical. Or perhaps they are more apropriate for the people that like that (rock over classical), as I think very few classical lovers would like violins panning around. Also the audiophiles Stereo vs 5.1 Surround preferences is something similar.

And if that kind of 3D music rock/electronic finds its market, it will be probably produced with Dolby Atmos because of the market presence that Dolby Atmos has compared to AURO-3D. That would be, IMO, the more important factor to choose the producing technology to use. Less importance will have the consideration of better or worse technology that could be either Atmos or Auro for the execution of particular projects with such panning around effects. Even if mass people has heard about Dolby Atmos, but almost nobody knows what AURO-3D is.

I mean, I am not arguing about what technology is better or worse, but thinking that Dolby Atmos is much better positioned to make the 3D immersive music evolve in the market. Once a production is done for Dolby Atmos I see the producers will not have any interest in convert/remix to release a Dual-Coded product in Atmos and Auro. More cost for the same amount of potential target customers.

Unless Auro goes and surprises us all, doing extensive marketing of his Auro-3D binaural headphones for mass market. That would be good. Competition is healthy and benefits the consumer.

AVR: Denon AVC X8500H (Atmos 7.1.6, DTS:X, Auro-3D 13.1)
DPY: Optoma UHZ65 / Lumene Majestic Premium 270C / TV LG C9
Ply:: Dune HD Solo 4K / Dune HD PRO 4K / Oppo 203 / Fire Stick 4K
SPs: Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 /Ambiente Center /Master M5 /Access AC / B&W CCM 683
Oth: HDFury Vertex2
post #6402 of 6522 Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Why is Auromatic so terrible compared to DSU and DTS Neural X?

The 2.0 to multichannel expantion is terribly implemented. The following is the correct optimal 7.0 to 2.0 encoding:

RT = FR + 0.707*C + 0.5*SR - 0.5*SL + 0.707*SBR - 0.707*SBL

LT = FL + 0.707*C + 0.5*SL - 0.5*SR + 0.707*SBL - 0.707*SBR

When I encode 7.0 channels using the above matrix in Adobe Audition or in MATLAB and create a master LT, RT stereo wave file. The decoding is done correctly by both DSU and DTS Neural X, steering the 7 encoded channels FL,FR,C,SR,SL,SBL,SBR to their designated locations in the room. However, when I select Auromatic, the decoding is completely messed up.

The center channels are leaking into the main front speakers, the 4 surround channels are played mainly by the front speakers with some leaks to the surround speakers, and the front channels leak into the rear ones...

Only a true Auro 3D encoded soundtrack over DTS MA is decoded and steered correctly.

Anyone ever tried to play 2.0 surround music using Auromatic and compare it to DSU?
post #6403 of 6522 Old 10-26-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post

The 2.0 to multichannel expantion is terribly implemented. The following is the correct optimal 7.0 to 2.0 encoding:

RT = FR + 0.707*C + 0.5*SR - 0.5*SL + 0.707*SBR - 0.707*SBL

LT = FL + 0.707*C + 0.5*SL - 0.5*SR + 0.707*SBL - 0.707*SBR

When I encode 7.0 channels using the above matrix in Adobe Audition or in MATLAB and create a master LT, RT stereo wave file. The decoding is done correctly by both DSU and DTS Neural X, steering the 7 encoded channels FL,FR,C,SR,SL,SBL,SBR to their designated locations in the room. However, when I select Auromatic, the decoding is completely messed up.

The center channels are leaking into the main front speakers, the 4 surround channels are played mainly by the front speakers with some leaks to the surround speakers, and the front channels leak into the rear ones...

Only a true Auro 3D encoded soundtrack over DTS MA is decoded and steered correctly.

Anyone ever tried to play 2.0 surround music using Auromatic and compare it to DSU?
I don't think Auromatic is actually a surround decoder in the traditional sense (Auro-3D itself is; thus many of us have thought it poorly named in the surround settings of D&M units as they day Auro-3D or Auro-2D with no mention of "Auromatic" with non-Auro signals.)

It's also poorly detected (the real Auro-3D stream). I always have to manually switch to it with a real Auro-3D signal. Atmos and X switch on automatically unless I've manually changed it to a different mixer. Then it remembers that change until manually changed again.

Auromatic is more like Audyssey DSX or a single Yamaha DSP room effect. It's closer to a spatial simulator (i.e. It adds reverb-like effects to the room to make the room sound more like a concert hall with controlled reverb, assuming your theater room is fairly dead sounding.)
EB1000 and coldharbor like this.

Last edited by MagnumX; 10-26-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #6404 of 6522 Old 10-26-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post

There is some historic reason for this: DSU (and DTS Neural:X) are descendants of the original matrix decoders, designed to take Dolby Pro Logic material that had been encoded into Lt/Rt 2.0 stereo and extract it back to 5.1 (and, later, 7.1 through to today's extended-channel arrangements of 11.1 and above).

Whereas Auromatic was designed for music first and foremost (as was, originally, Auro-3D itself). As originally implemented Auromatic absolutely botched film and TV content, as it failed to correctly anchor material that should be steered straight to the center channel. I understand Auro has addressed this problem to some extent, but the fact remains that its original design was for expanding music into the Auro speaker layout, not correctly decoding matrixed film/TV content.

As you would expect, 2.0 music sounds really good processed through Auromatic.
smurraybhm likes this.
post #6405 of 6522 Old 10-27-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

At least it is something, as long as there are English subtitles for the Auro3d mix.
post #6406 of 6522 Old 10-27-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post
Quote:

At least it is something, as long as there are English subtitles for the Auro3d mix.
I'd agree if we were talking about a German original soundtrack (e.g. Das Boot), but it sounds like this company takes big hit (US) movies that likely only had subs (e.g. Older titles) and dubs them in German for the German market. Unless German is your first language, do you really want to hear dubbed voice actors and read English subtitles just to get sound effects in Auro-3D, especially if there might be an English Atmos or X version already available?
Sal1950 likes this.

post #6407 of 6522 Old 11-13-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I'd agree if we were talking about a German original soundtrack (e.g. Das Boot), but it sounds like this company takes big hit (US) movies that likely only had subs (e.g. Older titles) and dubs them in German for the German market. Unless German is your first language, do you really want to hear dubbed voice actors and read English subtitles just to get sound effects in Auro-3D, especially if there might be an English Atmos or X version already available?
As long as one has their Auro-3D HT installation setup correctly per Auro specs then one will experience the unique immersive sensation that only Auro-3D can provide. So, the availability of native Auro-3D-encoded titles is a non-issue.
post #6408 of 6522 Old 11-13-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjerseydad22 View Post
As long as one has their Auro-3D HT installation setup correctly per Auro specs then one will experience the unique immersive sensation that only Auro-3D can provide. So, the availability of native Auro-3D-encoded titles is a non-issue.

Also known as reverb
So much for science.
sdurani and RUR like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6409 of 6522 Old 11-14-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Also known as reverb
So much for science.

This...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6410 of 6522 Old 11-15-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Death Machine Auro3D version from Germany just turned up
Will hopefully watch it tonight
I just wish more good films would get released in Auro 3D or it will totally die out

Looking at getting the HTP1 that allows for 9.1.6 and use dual TM speakers for Auro 3D
Socio likes this.
post #6411 of 6522 Old 11-15-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's supposed to be part of China's new broadcast digital standard. Maybe you could learn Mandarin and get Auro-3D 24/7? You'd have to move to China, of course.

post #6412 of 6522 Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard68 View Post
Death Machine Auro3D version from Germany just turned up
Will hopefully watch it tonight
I just wish more good films would get released in Auro 3D or it will totally die out

Looking at getting the HTP1 that allows for 9.1.6 and use dual TM speakers for Auro 3D
Let us know how it sounds!

I have it on order myself I found it here:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07Z75QV5L?...&tag=areadvd0e

Looks like it is in Auro 3d both Deutsch and English
post #6413 of 6522 Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post
Looks like it is in Auro 3d both Deutsch and English
Interesting that they did English too. I wonder if that will hold true with more titles. Is there a list of upcoming titles? These may be more useful than I thought.

I just ordered Der Supercop (aka Super Fuzz aka Supertrooper with Terrence Hill) from Amazon Germany on Bluray. Too bad it's not in Auro-3D. It's not even in English (only German and Italian). I plan to remux the English track from the DVD version with the HD video.

post #6414 of 6522 Old 11-17-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've gone ahead and ordered Death Machine in Auro-3D from Amazon Germany. That will make native Auro-3D movie #11 for me.

post #6415 of 6522 Old 11-22-2019, 06:22 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I have a Marantz AV8805. How's Auro 3D for sources like Netflix or Prime? Or should I use DDS or Neural:X? I have a 9.2.2 setup. Thanks!
post #6416 of 6522 Old 11-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I have a Marantz AV8805. How's Auro 3D for sources like Netflix or Prime? Or should I use DDS or Neural:X? I have a 9.2.2 setup. Thanks!
Do they(Netflix or prime) have auro 3d?

Sent from my ASUS_I001DC using Tapatalk
post #6417 of 6522 Old 11-22-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd use Neural X for movies. I personally prefer DSU for music (well usually I just go for stereo truth be told). Many like Auro-3D's upmixer for music, however. Auromatic (just called "Auro-3D" in D&M products) is more of a reverb/hall/dsp mode than a surround decoder (unlike true Auro-3D encoding for movies or music, which is a whole different ballgame and is comparable to Atmos and X. Actually, true Auro-3D music titles are very holographic sounding since they're recorded with dual-quad mics so each speaker plays back the relative mic and it just sounds like reality, really.)

post #6418 of 6522 Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23651 Post(s)
Liked: 13019
Quote:
Important to note that neither AuroMatic nor DDS will pass audio to your Front Wide speakers, rather only DTS Neural:X.
post #6419 of 6522 Old 11-22-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Quoted: 3029 Post(s)
Liked: 4354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Important to note that neither AuroMatic nor DDS will pass audio to your Front Wide speakers, rather only DTS Neural:X.
Also, unless the 2 overheads are labeled front height(and only that), Auro(matic) 3D will not engage, only 2D.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #6420 of 6522 Old 11-23-2019, 09:30 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Thank you! I have another question, but I'll post it in the AV8805 thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page