The **OFFICIAL** Marantz AV7702 Pre/Pro - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2866Likes

post #6031 of 6584 Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22568 Post(s)
Liked: 12282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Thank you JD.

4. Not sure I understand the answer.
I can change the small speakers to 80Hz. The sub defaults to 120HZ. I can change the sub to 80Hz.
Don't I want the sub to take over at 80Hz? Or take over at 120Hz?
There are two audio signals passed to the sub:

(1) LFE - (0.1 in DD/DTS 5.1/7.1) - the frequency range of this signal is only 20Hz - 120Hz <--- the LPF for LFE setting of 120Hz only applies here so essentially lets the entire LFE signal pass to the sub
(2) Those frequencies below the crossover of a speaker set to SMALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6584 Old 05-05-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Why is the MkII buried in a receiver thread? I would think the number of posts for receivers overwhelms the AVP posts.

post #6033 of 6584 Old 05-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Why is the MkII buried in a receiver thread? I would think the number of posts for receivers overwhelms the AVP posts.
I agree. The MKII is just a slightly updated version. It would seem much more appropriate discussing it here with it's older brother AVP.

As an owner of a MKII I would rather look for info in a AVP only thread, uncluttered with AVR stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6034 of 6584 Old 05-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Doesn't matter, everyone asks their questions here anyways and per the usual, JD thankfully answers their questions no matter what

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6035 of 6584 Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I've used a 90 degree HDMI adapter that works pretty well with heavy stiff HDMI cables. Only about $10 bucks AFAIR.
Yup. Works like a charm with my HDMI connection to my projector.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #6036 of 6584 Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 834
As embarrassing as it is, I figured I should post back regarding an issue I was having with my 7702 setup. I had connected Zone 3 using the same cables as my previous Denon but was unable to get Bluetooth audio through my Zone 3 receiver. I messed with settings and eventually determined that it must not be possible. JD corrected that logic after I posted on here, but I was still unable to figure out why Bluetooth and my digital audio sources weren't being sent through the Zone 3 preouts.

Well, I'm happy to announce that I solved the problem. Turns out that you have to turn the volume up on the Zone 3 preouts on the Marantz. I guess I wasn't expecting that to be the issue as one would think that you would still be able to hear something through Zone 3 even if the volume had been turned down. I basically had bump the Marantz Zone 3 volume to the max to get it to a satisfying level, but its great to finally have that riddle solved

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else that may be having the same issue.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #6037 of 6584 Old 05-17-2016, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I am having issues with airplay on my AV7702. I hardly ever use it but thought to ask if its something that can easily be fixed (maybe there's something i missed).

My 7702 has a static IP (also reserved on the router) and when i use airplay from my mac its hit or miss. If it works it plays a song or two then stops other times it just shows assigning network on the 7702. I have a NAS which i use often to play music via the 7702 and it works all the time which is why im confused why airplay works randomly. My laptop is connected via wifi and doesn't have a static IP.

Please i would like to know how others use their mac to play music via airplay on their 7702.

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #6038 of 6584 Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please help whit speaker buzz!!!

Hi guys! When I go close to my speakers, I can hear a buzz(or hum?) I have the Marantz av7702mk2 and two Emotiva xpa-5 gen2; when the Emo is on and it is no connection to the pre/pro, from the speakers come a very little hiss that I think is normal and ok for me; when I connect the two Emo whit the Marantz( balanced or unbalanced) and the Marantz is just in standby the buzz is there;when the pre/pro wakes fromstandby,the hiss get a little louder but the buzz is the same-it is not equal in all speakers, in the mains more than surrounds and also diffrent, some more and some less. I can live whit the hiss and I think it's normal for the speaker sensytivity-92 and 97db,but that buzz...
Have any of you the same problem whit the same gear?can anibody give advice on this?
Thanks and regards
post #6039 of 6584 Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabubu View Post
Please help whit speaker buzz!!!

Hi guys! When I go close to my speakers, I can hear a buzz(or hum?) I have the Marantz av7702mk2 and two Emotiva xpa-5 gen2; when the Emo is on and it is no connection to the pre/pro, from the speakers come a very little hiss that I think is normal and ok for me; when I connect the two Emo whit the Marantz( balanced or unbalanced) and the Marantz is just in standby the buzz is there;when the pre/pro wakes fromstandby,the hiss get a little louder but the buzz is the same-it is not equal in all speakers, in the mains more than surrounds and also diffrent, some more and some less. I can live whit the hiss and I think it's normal for the speaker sensytivity-92 and 97db,but that buzz...
Have any of you the same problem whit the same gear?can anibody give advice on this?
Thanks and regards
Hum usually is caused by a "ground loop". The two most common causes are
1. a poorly grounded cable TV service.
To test, disconnect the cable coming into the building (or at least from your cable decoder box) to see if it goes away.
A workaround is to put a ground-isolating transformer inline with the incoming cable.
The fix is to get the cable company to improve their grounding where the cable comes into the building. It's a safety issue, too.

2. plugging audio devices into different phases of wall power.
To test, plug all of your A/V power cables into the same power strip.
The fix is to leave them there

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #6040 of 6584 Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
To test, disconnect the cable coming into the building (or at least from your cable decoder box) to see if it goes away.
A workaround is to put a ground-isolating transformer inline with the incoming cable.
The fix is to get the cable company to improve their grounding where the cable comes into the building. It's a safety issue, too.

Thank you!
I will try to all that tomorrow to see if it works.
post #6041 of 6584 Old 05-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
I will try to all that tomorrow to see if it works.
If that doesn't work, ground the chassis of the marantz unit to the chassis of the emotiva amps and see if that works.

post #6042 of 6584 Old 05-19-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
If that doesn't work, ground the chassis of the marantz unit to the chassis of the emotiva amps and see if that works.
Quote:

I have try all that but it did not work.have a sattelite antenna on the roof, disconnect all the cables that come from there, wired the marantz and emotiva chassis, ground the marantz chassis to the ground wire in the power socket and nothing
When disconnect the emos from the marantz buzz or hum is gone-how can I make a difference if it is a buzz or a hum? When I put my ears near the emos when they are on, I hear a little and quiet 50-60Hz Transformer hum-buzz, but think is normal; the buzz in the speakers is not very annoying but when the room is totally quiet I can hear it also from the mlp.
The power strip and cables are standard; do you think it makes a big difference if I buy quallity power cables and stripes?
Thanks and regards
Bobby.
post #6043 of 6584 Old 05-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I have try all that but it did not work.have a sattelite antenna on the roof, disconnect all the cables that come from there, wired the marantz and emotiva chassis, ground the marantz chassis to the ground wire in the power socket and nothing
When disconnect the emos from the marantz buzz or hum is gone-how can I make a difference if it is a buzz or a hum? When I put my ears near the emos when they are on, I hear a little and quiet 50-60Hz Transformer hum-buzz, but think is normal; the buzz in the speakers is not very annoying but when the room is totally quiet I can hear it also from the mlp.
The power strip and cables are standard; do you think it makes a big difference if I buy quallity power cables and stripes?
Thanks and regards
Bobby.
Unplug your source components one by one to see if it's one of the sources. Then try the TV or PJ. Just go one by one and listen closely. Find the problem component.
ultrabubu likes this.

post #6044 of 6584 Old 05-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks and regards
Bobby.

Please verify that the trim levels in your pre/pro are not extremely low: they should be between -9 and 0, preferably between -6 and 0.

Some Emotive amps have a very high gain and some speakers are very efficient, too. The combination can result in the pre/pro setting very low gains for the audio signals, resulting in a very poor signal-to-noise ratio.

Edited to add: the usual fix is to put audio attenuators in the cables between the pre/pro and the amps.
ultrabubu likes this.

Selden

post #6045 of 6584 Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
How to run LCR channels bi-amped AND 7.1.4 atmos

I've been working on my home theater/media room for a few months now working towards a final 7.1.4 (or 7.2.4) setup. I currently have the AV7702 with the MM8077 running 7.1. I just installed 4 ceiling speakers and purchased a used Sunfire TGA7200 which is also a 7 channel amp. Thought was to run bi-amped to my LCR speakers (Paradigm Studio 80's, Studio CC) to utilize all 14 channels of amplification. I assume the only way to do this is to use splitters in the RCA connections? I am currently using XLR cables and really would prefer to use all balanced connections. Any advice? (Thanks in advance!)

Paradigm Reference Speakers - Studio 80 towers, Studio CC center, Studio 20 surrounds, Marantz AV7702 Pre, Marantz MM8077 Amp, PSA V-1800 Sub, Epson 5030UB projector, Elite Screams Sable B2 Fixed Frame 135" diagonal, 2 home brews on tap in the kegerator!
post #6046 of 6584 Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krg0113 View Post
I've been working on my home theater/media room for a few months now working towards a final 7.1.4 (or 7.2.4) setup. I currently have the AV7702 with the MM8077 running 7.1. I just installed 4 ceiling speakers and purchased a used Sunfire TGA7200 which is also a 7 channel amp. Thought was to run bi-amped to my LCR speakers (Paradigm Studio 80's, Studio CC) to utilize all 14 channels of amplification. I assume the only way to do this is to use splitters in the RCA connections? I am currently using XLR cables and really would prefer to use all balanced connections. Any advice? (Thanks in advance!)
XLR Y splitters are readily available.

Unfortunately, simply doing the kind of "passive" bi-amping that you're describing does nothing to improve (or degrade) the quality of the sound you'll hear. It'll just use more power and make your room warmer. Exactly the same audio signals are sent through the same in-speaker passive crossover networks to drive the same speaker drivers. You need to use external active crossover networks between the preamps and the amps (with no crossovers in the speakers) in order to get any audible improvements.

Selden

post #6047 of 6584 Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Exclamation Best way to control sub volume on 7702???

Hey Guys! I just threw my sub into the wall, so now it's not possible to control the sub volume (which I do often) on the subwoofer. What is the EASIEST WAY to control the master sub volume on the Marantz????
post #6048 of 6584 Old 05-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Hey Guys! I just threw my sub into the wall, so now it's not possible to control the sub volume (which I do often) on the subwoofer. What is the EASIEST WAY to control the master sub volume on the Marantz????
Not sure but i think Option -> Channel Level Adjust -> Subwoofer.

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #6049 of 6584 Old 05-23-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Actually better to do it using the remote anyway as then you have a digital amount of change ....

Manual Setup - Test Tones - Subwoofer (globally for all sources)

Option - Channel Level Adjust - Subwoofer (for the selected source only)
post #6050 of 6584 Old 05-24-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Unplug your source components one by one to see if it's one of the sources. Then try the TV or PJ. Just go one by one and listen closely. Find the problem component.
Quote:
Please verify that the trim levels in your pre/pro are not extremely low: they should be between -9 and 0, preferably between -6 and 0.

Some Emotive amps have a very high gain and some speakers are very efficient, too. The combination can result in the pre/pro setting very low gains for the audio signals, resulting in a very poor signal-to-noise ratio.

Edited to add: the usual fix is to put audio attenuators in the cables between the pre/pro and the amps.
The trimm levels are now around -6 whit rca connections;whit xlr they was at -12,the Emo gain is at 29db.
I have tried all your suggestions but the buzz is still there.
My next step is to hire an electrotehnician to take a look on the buzzproblem.
Tkank's all for your help!!
post #6051 of 6584 Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
The trimm levels are now around -6 whit rca connections;whit xlr they was at -12,the Emo gain is at 29db.
I have tried all your suggestions but the buzz is still there.
My next step is to hire an electrotehnician to take a look on the buzzproblem.
Tkank's all for your help!!
I have a gen one xpa-5 and a 7702. I have a buzz coming out of my speakers i think the emotiva amps are notorious for this. Even when i switched to my denon 4308 from the 7702 i still have the buzz i even moved into a new place and still have the buzz i feel your pain. I tried everything and the one thing you will notice when you start connecting your rca's to the xpa-5 anything more than two connected the noise will increase. I even bought different rca cables nothing works. But when i hook my speakers to just my denon they are completely silent.
ultrabubu likes this.

Last edited by Titan319; 05-25-2016 at 10:50 PM.
post #6052 of 6584 Old 05-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phono section question.

Can any one used the phono input on AV 7702? If so, can you comment on its quality. I am getting
a new turntable (Denon DP300F with Ortofon 2M red cartridge) Should I get a phono preamp or will the quality of 7702 phono section will be sufficient for this turntable's caliber?

Also, does 7702 digitize analog inputs on its spdif ourputs?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Ramesh
post #6053 of 6584 Old 06-02-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan319 View Post
I have a gen one xpa-5 and a 7702. I have a buzz coming out of my speakers i think the emotiva amps are notorious for this. Even when i switched to my denon 4308 from the 7702 i still have the buzz i even moved into a new place and still have the buzz i feel your pain. I tried everything and the one thing you will notice when you start connecting your rca's to the xpa-5 anything more than two connected the noise will increase. I even bought different rca cables nothing works. But when i hook my speakers to just my denon they are completely silent.
Yesterday an electrotechnician take a look to my buzzproblem;he could find anything that resolve the buzz.You're right whit the connections-more than two and the buzz increase, but the buzz is different loud from channel to channel-one is so loud that I can hear it from the mlp(10 ft).In the near future I upgrade to Atmos whit 4 ceiling Speakers and need a new 2 channel power amp for that, than I will see(hear) if the new amp bring the same buzz in the two+ ceiling speakers.
Untill than, I live whit the buzzzz-don't hear it often but I know is there:
post #6054 of 6584 Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 207
jdsmoothie , I was wondering (or anybody else) if you tell me how zone 2 video output works. I want to send a composite signal out to a portable monitor, so that I can see the marantz GUI, and everything that the projector sees, without turning on the projector. What would be the best/easiest way to do this? BTW, thanks mr. smoothie for all of your great 'input' on these avp's. Life saver, you are! (in Yoda's Voice) I'm a zone 2/3 dummy on the marantz side of things, btw...
post #6055 of 6584 Old 06-05-2016, 03:09 AM

Quote:
jdsmoothie , I was wondering (or anybody else) if you tell me how zone 2 video output works. I want to send a composite signal out to a portable monitor, so that I can see the marantz GUI, and everything that the projector sees, without turning on the projector. What would be the best/easiest way to do this? BTW, thanks mr. smoothie for all of your great 'input' on these avp's. Life saver, you are! (in Yoda's Voice) I'm a zone 2/3 dummy on the marantz side of things, btw...
The Zone 2 HDMI monitor output can only pass HDMI source video (ie. no composite). Additionally, the GUI can only display over HDMI from one of the two main zone HDMI monitor outputs. So for your use case, you would want to pass the composite video signal --> HDMI Monitor2 output.
post #6056 of 6584 Old 06-06-2016, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi guys, I have a question....

Is it possible to use the Zone 2 HDMI out as a video output to the main zone? So in other words, any way to use the Zone 2 HDMI to my projector while running 11.1 channels in the same room?

I ask as I cannot solve a HDMI handshaking (or similar) issue with my Amazon Fire TV using the mirrored HDMI outputs. Works fine on the TV but flashes on the projector.

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
post #6057 of 6584 Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson View Post
Hi guys, I have a question....

Is it possible to use the Zone 2 HDMI out as a video output to the main zone? So in other words, any way to use the Zone 2 HDMI to my projector while running 11.1 channels in the same room?

I ask as I cannot solve a HDMI handshaking (or similar) issue with my Amazon Fire TV using the mirrored HDMI outputs. Works fine on the TV but flashes on the projector.
Sure, but the Zone 2 HDMI sync (ie. PJ) must be able to accept multi channel audio, otherwise if not, then you would need to connect the Zone 2 HDMI out to another AVR and then connect the PJ to that AVR and then you can select the same source in the main zone.
post #6058 of 6584 Old 06-06-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Sure, but the Zone 2 HDMI sync (ie. PJ) must be able to accept multi channel audio, otherwise if not, then you would need to connect the Zone 2 HDMI out to another AVR and then connect the PJ to that AVR and then you can select the same source in the main zone.
That could potentially work in that I could use a Dr. HDMI to fool the source into thinking it's a TV or something.

But... would this not be the same as using mirroring? Instead of Zone 1 with mirrored outputs to the TV and projector (which is causing my issue), I'd be using two zones with the same input/output?

post #6059 of 6584 Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson View Post
That could potentially work in that I could use a Dr. HDMI to fool the source into thinking it's a TV or something.

But... would this not be the same as using mirroring? Instead of Zone 1 with mirrored outputs to the TV and projector (which is causing my issue), I'd be using two zones with the same input/output?
Different HDMI output so worth giving it a try.
post #6060 of 6584 Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Different HDMI output so worth giving it a try.
Yeah it sure is. I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks for the tip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AV7702

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page