The **OFFICIAL** Marantz AV7702 Pre/Pro - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2865Likes

post #6361 of 6580 Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
ja00 , don't get rid of your front heights! I would never go back to the standard 7.1 setup unless I had to. Now, given I don't have Rear Heights (7.1.2 setup), I will also agree with jdsmoothie that adding rear heights in your case would only add to the immersive effect...no harm, no foul
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
That (Top Front-Top Rear) is the configuration I use. The setup is 7.X.4 (my subs are in my LCR's) and I like having surround backs and the 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos. 95% of my movie watching is non-Atmos but I use DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer) for everything except 2 channel music so the 11 speakers are always active. It creates a true sound bubble for all 7 of my seats although I sit mostly front and center.

My only caveat is that you need a space big enough to accommodate all of those speakers. I have 3600CF with 9 ft ceiling height and I consider that just about right although more ceiling height and more room depth (currently 22ft) would be even better. It's not that Atmos can't be done with limited height ceilings but you lose the sense of spaciousness that taller ceilings afford.
Thank you both for the reply.

As it is, my setup already sounds great. I guess if I have to complain about something it would be the fact that I don't quite hear objects go past me from above with great conviction. By that I mean sound travels around me a lot better than over my head. Same with rain scenes, don't hear them from above, only around the room.

I will experiment by moving my Volt 6's to the back wall/ceiling corner, pointed towards the listening position, then use my spare bookshelves as surrounds (which I need to bring down a foot maybe 2 because I currently have them at 3 ft above ear level).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6580 Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 27
anyone else having hdcp issues with long runs of hdmi running out of the marantz mk2?
post #6363 of 6580 Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 702 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22017 Post(s)
Liked: 11940
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
anyone else having hdcp issues with long runs of hdmi running out of the marantz mk2?
Oops! Wrong thread. You wan the following Owner's thread ....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 6580 Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Oops! Wrong thread. You wan the following Owner's thread ....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
ah thank you!
post #6365 of 6580 Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Thank you both for the reply.

As it is, my setup already sounds great. I guess if I have to complain about something it would be the fact that I don't quite hear objects go past me from above with great conviction. By that I mean sound travels around me a lot better than over my head. Same with rain scenes, don't hear them from above, only around the room.

I will experiment by moving my Volt 6's to the back wall/ceiling corner, pointed towards the listening position, then use my spare bookshelves as surrounds (which I need to bring down a foot maybe 2 because I currently have them at 3 ft above ear level).
Suggestion...Turn up your ceiling speakers Actually, I just calibrated my Duck & Cover Theater by EAR, and it sounds better than ever. After all, it's our ears that hear the end result, not an SPL Meter.....YMMV.
post #6366 of 6580 Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Sounds NO DIFFERENT than Onkyo support, so everything is OK

I managed to actually get a response back late last week and got the 7702 to the Marantz repair center in Ontario in which it arrived today so patiently waiting to hear back and get it back, I'm really missing my two Mach 5 IXL subs right now and I'm going through bass withdrawal haha

Theater - Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva A-500 | Chane A5rx-c (LCR) | UAC-8.2 rears | Mach 5 IXL-18's | iNuke6000DSP | NVIDIA Shield TV | Epson 3500 | DIY AT Spandex 100"
Outside - Emotiva UOM-6.2

post #6367 of 6580 Old 01-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Channel level adjust under options purpose?

I've owned my 7702 mkii for a good while, and I was messing around last night and stumbled across the "Channel Level adjust" when pressing the options button on the remote. I understand that it adjust the levels, but what exactly is it's purpose? I see that all of the levels are set to zero. If all of the levels were set through Audyysey why is this showing levels at zero? If I make adjustments to these does it change the levels that were set during audyysey? I can't find a good explanation of this in the manual? thanks for any input.
post #6368 of 6580 Old 01-25-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post
I've owned my 7702 mkii for a good while, and I was messing around last night and stumbled across the "Channel Level adjust" when pressing the options button on the remote. I understand that it adjust the levels, but what exactly is it's purpose? I see that all of the levels are set to zero. If all of the levels were set through Audyysey why is this showing levels at zero? If I make adjustments to these does it change the levels that were set during audyysey? I can't find a good explanation of this in the manual? thanks for any input.
Audyssey doesn't set the levels, rather the AVP does after Audyssey has been run. These levels are then copied from Audyssey Setup (which cannot be edited) to Manual Setup where they can be edited to suit your personal preference. When changed (ie. using Test Tones), these changes apply globally to all sources. If you simply want to adjust a speaker/sub volume level for one particular source, you would use the OPTION - CHANNEL LEVEL ADJUST setting (+/- 12db) which would then be applied to the value for that speaker/sub in Manual Setup (eg. if the value in Manual Setup is -6db and I want it a few db louder, with the source selected, I would set the Channel Level Adjust setting for that speaker to +3db or if I wanted it a few db lower, I would set it to -3db).
biga6761 likes this.
post #6369 of 6580 Old 01-25-2017, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok, that makes sense. I knew about the manual setup and the global adjustment there. I may bump my sub down some for TV watching. It seems to be too loud after I bump it up after audyysey. Thanks for the info. The manual doesn't seem to explain that. At least I couldn't find it.
post #6370 of 6580 Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
long time since i've posted on this thread. i have an issue that i can no longer stand. a while back(months) i noticed i developed an intermittent high pitch hiss. it comes and goes in 5 to 10 second intervals on and off. its coming from all speakers evenly, although i haven't checked my ceiling speakers yet. i do know this started after an update i received on my receiver but thats the only change i've noticed. prior to that i did have a small ground loop noise that easily was hidden when audio was present, so it didn't bother me. i plan to rework my wires and ground to amp ect. today to start looking for the issue. so far the only move i've made was disconnecting my hdmi output from my cable box going to the receiver with no change.

samsung un55hu9000 sek3500 Marantz av7702 Audiocontrol Savoy 7x150 4x MA500U
swope center, tmww fronts, tm surrounds and rears
polk audio OWM3 x4 atmos
4 12" t3 audio subs ep4000 amp 2x15" type r sonotubes
post #6371 of 6580 Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashspop View Post
long time since i've posted on this thread. i have an issue that i can no longer stand. a while back(months) i noticed i developed an intermittent high pitch hiss. it comes and goes in 5 to 10 second intervals on and off. its coming from all speakers evenly, although i haven't checked my ceiling speakers yet. i do know this started after an update i received on my receiver but thats the only change i've noticed. prior to that i did have a small ground loop noise that easily was hidden when audio was present, so it didn't bother me. i plan to rework my wires and ground to amp ect. today to start looking for the issue. so far the only move i've made was disconnecting my hdmi output from my cable box going to the receiver with no change.
Disconnect the power to the cable box as well as the coax cable from the wall.
post #6372 of 6580 Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Disconnect the power to the cable box as well as the coax cable from the wall.
willl do, dang thing quit doing it so i can't try anything until it starts up again. i have eliminated it being associated to anything else running in my house, this noise doesn't care what else is going on.

samsung un55hu9000 sek3500 Marantz av7702 Audiocontrol Savoy 7x150 4x MA500U
swope center, tmww fronts, tm surrounds and rears
polk audio OWM3 x4 atmos
4 12" t3 audio subs ep4000 amp 2x15" type r sonotubes
post #6373 of 6580 Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 PM

So little update to my AV7702 I sent in for firmware issues, I called the repair company today as it's been two weeks since they received it and I was told the HDMI board failed, sems odd as it was failing update for me but maybe that's why, the crappy news is the part is on backorder so who knows when I will be getting it back

Theater - Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva A-500 | Chane A5rx-c (LCR) | UAC-8.2 rears | Mach 5 IXL-18's | iNuke6000DSP | NVIDIA Shield TV | Epson 3500 | DIY AT Spandex 100"

post #6374 of 6580 Old 02-03-2017, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by creimes View Post
So little update to my AV7702 I sent in for firmware issues, I called the repair company today as it's been two weeks since they received it and I was told the HDMI board failed, sems odd as it was failing update for me but maybe that's why, the crappy news is the part is on backorder so who knows when I will be getting it back
My understanding is that the network interface is on the same circuit board as the HDMI chips, so replacing one means replacing the other.

I know it's too late for you, but the usual recommendation here on AVS is to have D+M equipment repaired at their central facility at United Radio in Syracuse, NY. Although shipping time might be a little longer, they have a large stock of replacement parts on site and usually can turn around a repair within a few days. Most regional repair shops have to wait for parts to be shipped from Asia, which can take weeks.
shyyour likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #6375 of 6580 Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
My understanding is that the network interface is on the same circuit board as the HDMI chips, so replacing one means replacing the other.

I know it's too late for you, but the usual recommendation here on AVS is to have D+M equipment repaired at their central facility at United Radio in Syracuse, NY. Although shipping time might be a little longer, they have a large stock of replacement parts on site and usually can turn around a repair within a few days. Most regional repair shops have to wait for parts to be shipped from Asia, which can take weeks.
Yeah I was just told where to ship it plus I'm in Canada so it probably has to go to an authorized Canadian repair facility, as long as its free I'm good but it's already been 5 weeks without my system which sucks, took 3 weeks time to get a response from Marantz and it sorted out and a shipping label and now been two at the repair facility, I'm really missing my two subs haha, my wife not so much :P

post #6376 of 6580 Old 02-05-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 411
To try to rid my bar area of the hyper annoying and really, unacceptable delay to zone 2 when one selects the same source as Z1, I attempted to use the unbalanced F and R out to my amplier (and utlize the gains on the amp to balance output) as I'm using the XLRS in the theater.

Of course they do not appear to be working. I believe all pre outs used to be active on older marantz and denon models, has that changed?

I'm sure it has, because otherwise it would be a perfectly fine work around, lmao.

Thanks
James

Last edited by mastermaybe; 02-06-2017 at 05:51 AM.
post #6377 of 6580 Old 02-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audyssey Issues

I set everything up and ran Audyssey. Everything was ok except for a bad null in the room. I moved one of my subs to the back of the room and tried to re-run Audysssey. Everytime it gets to the surround speakers it gives me an error that there is to much ambient noise in the room. It's a dedicated room with no noise. It won't complete the Audyssey. Is there a way I can reset everything or will this even work. I'm using the same microphone in the same position. I've even changed position a few time but it still stalls on the surround speakers. It has stalled on the ceiling speakers as well as the rear surround speakers.
post #6378 of 6580 Old 02-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssz View Post
I set everything up and ran Audyssey. Everything was ok except for a bad null in the room. I moved one of my subs to the back of the room and tried to re-run Audysssey. Everytime it gets to the surround speakers it gives me an error that there is to much ambient noise in the room. It's a dedicated room with no noise. It won't complete the Audyssey. Is there a way I can reset everything or will this even work. I'm using the same microphone in the same position. I've even changed position a few time but it still stalls on the surround speakers. It has stalled on the ceiling speakers as well as the rear surround speakers.
A few things to try:

Turn off the HVAC during the calibration. It might be generating infra- or ultra-sonic noise while it's running. You can't hear it but the pre/pro can.

Check to make sure the subs (especially the one that you moved; unplug it as a test) aren't humming at a very low frequency due to noise pickup in its cable.

Do a "soft reset" -- unplug the pre/pro from wall power for about 10 minutes. That'll sometimes clear up glitches.

Do a "microprocessor reset" several times in a row. That's been known to clear up problems that a single reset doesn't. It's described on page 295 of the AV7702's manual, or search for "Resetting factory settings" in the PDF.

Selden

post #6379 of 6580 Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
A few things to try:

Turn off the HVAC during the calibration. It might be generating infra- or ultra-sonic noise while it's running. You can't hear it but the pre/pro can.

Check to make sure the subs (especially the one that you moved; unplug it as a test) aren't humming at a very low frequency due to noise pickup in its cable.

Do a "soft reset" -- unplug the pre/pro from wall power for about 10 minutes. That'll sometimes clear up glitches.

Do a "microprocessor reset" several times in a row. That's been known to clear up problems that a single reset doesn't. It's described on page 295 of the AV7702's manual, or search for "Resetting factory settings" in the PDF.
thanks for the idea's. I'll try them this weekend.
post #6380 of 6580 Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
To try to rid my bar area of the hyper annoying and really, unacceptable delay to zone 2 when one selects the same source as Z1, I attempted to use the unbalanced F and R out to my amplier (and utlize the gains on the amp to balance output) as I'm using the XLRS in the theater.

Of course they do not appear to be working. I believe all pre outs used to be active on older marantz and denon models, has that changed?

I'm sure it has, because otherwise it would be a perfectly fine work around, lmao.

Thanks
James
1. If the source is also passing video, you can set the VIDEO MODE = GAME to minimize to Zone 2 delay.
2. Nope, both should be active.
post #6381 of 6580 Old 02-07-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssz View Post

1. Are the surround speakers angled towards the main listening position with a clear line of sight to the Audyssey mic?
2. Are you using either the included cardboard mic stand or a camera tripod to support the mic with the mic raised above a high back couch at least a few inches?
3. Try swapping the SL/SR with the FL/FR to see if it stalls on the SL/SR (connected to FL/FR) or the FL/FR (connected to SL/SR).

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 02-07-2017 at 02:16 AM.
post #6382 of 6580 Old 02-07-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. If the source is also passing video, you can set the VIDEO MODE = GAME to minimize to Zone 2 delay.
Thanks JD. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong as I simply swapped the RCAs from Z2 to the Z1 outputs with Z1 playing back- my Z2 amplifier was on and I adjusted the gains with nothing being output. Seems to me this should have worked.

I'll take a look at things again. In my case this is a viable workaround (if it works) as I will always be playing back the same source to Z2, I simply need to switch on my Z2 amplifier, but obviously it would be a bit of a pain to have to switch the cables every time you wanted to play something different back to 2- for most anyway. They should really look into ensuring zones are synced properly as I'd imagine most have some level of overlap and this current state really makes it pretty much undoable.

Thanks
James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #6383 of 6580 Old 02-09-2017, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
James
Are we sure this is the case- that both are active?

I ask because I tried again yesterday, and I didn't get any output from the RCA's.

The main zone played so I would think if I just added the RCA's like I did to the L and R it would work. It didn't, so I swapped the cables to zone two and everything worked just fine.

I didn't think there was any setting in the menu to have them both active, but I searched anyway and of course I found nothing.

Perhaps I'm making some goofball mistake somewhere, but I'm really doubting that they're both active. Perhaps when you run audyssey it "figures out" which set of outputs is being driven defaults to them. Don't know.

James
post #6384 of 6580 Old 02-09-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
Question:
Are the xlr and rca outputs both concurrently active? I was wondering if I could bi-amp my front three speakers this way. Would there be any problem doing this if they are both active?
Quote:

I ask because I tried again yesterday, and I didn't get any output from the RCA's.

The main zone played so I would think if I just added the RCA's like I did to the L and R it would work. It didn't, so I swapped the cables to zone two and everything worked just fine.

I didn't think there was any setting in the menu to have them both active, but I searched anyway and of course I found nothing.

Perhaps I'm making some goofball mistake somewhere, but I'm really doubting that they're both active. Perhaps when you run audyssey it "figures out" which set of outputs is being driven defaults to them. Don't know.

James
Perhaps another AV7702 owner can confirm ... however, AFAIK, they are both active.

Quote:
Question:
Are the xlr and rca outputs both concurrently active? I was wondering if I could bi-amp my front three speakers this way. Would there be any problem doing this if they are both active?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
They probably are both active because they were in my AV8801.
However, I would recommend a Y-cable from each to if you need to make sure the gains are the same.
I would not use a Preamp's bi-amp setting if you want a true Pure Direct mode because this is likely accomplished using the DSP's.

- Rich
post #6385 of 6580 Old 02-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Test tones side and rear problems

From out of the box the test tones for the rear and side speakers on both L & R do not execute individually. Instead for example when the LR speakers is selected in both manual and audessy setup the LS and LR both play the tone. If RS tone is selected both RS and RR play the tone. Any ideas? Using unit for 7.2.2. My previous onkyo calibrat d and played each rear and side channel individually.
post #6386 of 6580 Old 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
From out of the box the test tones for the rear and side speakers on both L & R do not execute individually. Instead for example when the LR speakers is selected in both manual and audessy setup the LS and LR both play the tone. If RS tone is selected both RS and RR play the tone. Any ideas? Using unit for 7.2.2. My previous onkyo calibrat d and played each rear and side channel individually.
Your Denon Marantz should, too.

Try a "soft reset": unplug it from wall power for about 10 minutes. That sometimes clears up glitches.

If that doesn't help, a "return to factory" reset might be necessary. Check its owner's manual for details. Sometimes several resets in a row are needed to fully clear out its non-volatile memory.

Selden

post #6387 of 6580 Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Your Denon Marantz should, too.

Try a "soft reset": unplug it from wall power for about 10 minutes. That sometimes clears up glitches.

If that doesn't help, a "return to factory" reset might be necessary. Check its owner's manual for details. Sometimes several resets in a row are needed to fully clear out its non-volatile memory.
Have already done hard and soft resets to factory setting will try again
post #6388 of 6580 Old 02-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
Have already done hard and soft resets to factory setting will try again
Hopefully you've tried swapping cables to make sure the crosstalk is happening in the pre/pro and not in the amps.

If it still fails, then it'll need to be returned for repair or replacement.
Sorry.

Selden

post #6389 of 6580 Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Question:
Quote:

James
Perhaps another AV7702 owner can confirm ... however, AFAIK, they are both active.

Quote:
Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
They probably are both active because they were in my AV8801.
However, I would recommend a Y-cable from each to if you need to make sure the gains are the same.
I would not use a Preamp's bi-amp setting if you want a true Pure Direct mode because this is likely accomplished using the DSP's.

- Rich
I'd be very appreciative for someone to try this for me, I tried every which way and I just don't think they're working for me. I also bought XLR splitters so I can split off to this other amplifier and just turn it on and off as needed, which would be a pain, but doable: I just wish z2 would be in time with z1.

I'm tempted to add the RCA's from zone two to the RCA inputs on the amplifier (it has xlrs and rcas), but I don't want to run the risk of having the XLR's input and the RCA's input at the same time, if I forget to disconnet the xlrs when i want to use zone 2.

Messy.

James
post #6390 of 6580 Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you've tried swapping cables to make sure the crosstalk is happening in the pre/pro and not in the amps.

If it still fails, then it'll need to be returned for repair or replacement.
Sorry.
Checked everything. Rear and side surround are working of separate amps. Restet several times and that does not seem to work. For such a high priced unit I expect more. This is more that cross talk, the tone of the surround and back are at the same level. How a unit could be shipped with such a basic flaw is surprising. My previous onkyo did not sound good, but many of its features worked more semlessly. And the test tone for calibration worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AV7702

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page